What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (7 Viewers)

What does he have that Mike Vick didn't? This guy is no different. He will make some spectacular plays, he will make some horrendous plays and he will get hurt. That running around schtick catches up to you in the NFL. In fact his offensive lineman will probably hate him, hard to block for the self induced broken play.

What does he have that Mike Vick didn't? This guy is no different. He will make some spectacular plays, he will make some horrendous plays and he will get hurt. That running around schtick catches up to you in the NFL. In fact his offensive lineman will probably hate him, hard to block for the self induced broken play.
Vick's college career completion percentage was 56%.

Manziel's was 69%.

Manziel is a much more accurate passer. I am still not sold on him yet. But I still love prototypical pocket passers more than those that run.

Manziel's was 69%.
Manziel's hands are also over an inch bigger, which is important for QBs.

Manziel's was 69%.
Manziel's hands are also over an inch bigger, which is important for QBs.
Tony Romo has 8-7/8" hands. It's only important in cold weather. Measurables in general are overblown. If a guy can play, he can play whatever his size is. There are plenty of players who measure up but can't play.

If a guy has a laser arm, it doesn't matter what his hand size is. Bigger hands isn't going to make Vick more accurate. It might help him with ball security, though.

Pantherclub: Having Johnny run around outside the pocket will lead to his decapitation.

If you have to change your offense so that he is moving around in and outside of the pocket then you really should question why someone would take him this high.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

Manziel, the polished version.

On Friday night at the combine, the Jacksonville Jaguars had a 15-minute session with Johnny Manziel, the Texas A&M quarterback. Manziel hadn’t met anyone in the room. When he walked in, all the Jaguars coaches and officials stood.

Manziel went to owner Shahid Khan and shook his hand. “Pleasure to meet you, Mr. Khan. I’m Johnny Manziel.”

Then to his son Tony Khan, a team senior VP. “Hi Mr. Khan, Johnny Manziel.”

Then to coach Gus Bradley. “Hi Coach Bradley, pleasure to meet you. Johnny Manziel.”

Then to GM David Caldwell, and then to offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch. All the same: handshake, look ’em in the eye, refer to them by name. He knew them all. Now, he didn’t know the scouts in the room, but he knew five men by sight that he’d never met. “That was impressive,” Caldwell said. “He did a really nice job in there. He was prepared for the interview, very prepared.”

That was the goal for Manziel in the six-and-a-half weeks he’s spent in Carlsbad, Calif., north of San Diego, working with quarterback coach George Whitfield, quarterback consultant Kevin O’Connell and a training staff. Get better at being a pocket quarterback and not just the human highlight tape he was at Texas A&M. Work in the classroom with former Patriots and Jets backup O’Connell, studying the offense of every team that might pick him. O’Connell and Manziel even studied Washington’s offense from last year, not because they think there’s any chance the team will draft him, but because Kyle Shanahan, last year’s Washington offensive coordinator, now works in Cleveland, and they wanted to get a feel of what he likes to call and how he likes to use protections. Hammer home schemes, specific plays and formations each team is partial to using.

Then, Manziel wanted to address all the Johnny Nightlife questions—the ejection from the Manning Passing Academy last summer for turning up late for his job as a camp quarterback counselor, the tweeted photos at all hours at all sorts of bars. Some teams won’t like that; Houston’s buttoned-up owner, Bob McNair, certainly will frown at the prospect of having a playboy quarterback, if that’s what the owners of the top pick judge Manziel to be. An executive of one team who met with Manziel over the weekend said, “Has there been one killer incident for him? If there is, we haven’t found it.” [Manziel and his agent, Erik Burkhardt, declined to discuss how many teams he met with this weekend or which they were, and the executive of the team I just referred to didn’t want to identify his team because it has an established quarterback and didn’t want to drum up controversy in that market. But it’s known from reports in various places that Manziel met with Houston, Jacksonville, Cleveland, Dallas, Tampa Bay and Philadelphia coaches and team officials, and very likely Oakland, this weekend before flying back to Texas late Sunday afternoon.]

“We’ve found nothing that’s come across as a fatal flaw to us,” Caldwell said.

Finally, Manziel and Burkhardt wanted to limit his time being famous—he can go unnoticed in Southern California but is treated like a rock star throughout Texas after winning the 2012 Heisman as a college freshman—and maximize his time with the teams. So except for a dress rehearsal for his Pro Day and then the Pro Day workout March 27 in Texas, you’ll find Manziel mostly in two places—Carlsbad or on the road meeting with teams. “Our goal is to give every team that’s interested the maximum amount of time with Johnny they want,” Burkhardt said. “The more time, the merrier. Because when they spend time with him, they’ll get to know the real Johnny.”

It all seems like a smart approach. Manziel is a unique prospect who will require significant research. Even though the 5-10½ Russell Wilson just won the Super Bowl, below-average size at the position—Manziel measured 5-11¾ at the combine—is a detriment to greatness in the NFL. Small quarterbacks often have to be out-of-the-pocket improvisers; last year Manziel had poor games in losses against LSU and Missouri when hemmed in the pocket, frustrated he couldn’t get out on the edge and make something happen. “One of our goals,” Whitfield said at the combine, “has been to show that a player who’s been driving an automatic can now drive a stick-shift, and he can make the kind of plays from the pocket you’re going to need to make in the NFL.”

But he’s also unique in this regard: How many prospects get less famous going from college to the NFL? Manziel might be the one. Johnny Manziel anywhere in the NFL will be nutty, but he’s already had the kind of training he’ll need to deal with being the billboard for a franchise.

I met Manziel in the back of the restaurant at the Holiday Inn where the players are housed at the combine. He didn’t want to come to his agent’s place, the Omni, because he’d have been hounded by autograph seekers. It’s late at night, but he’s still on. As with what he says to the teams, he knows the words he says will be parsed and read by those who might pick him … and he’ll be damned if he’s going to have a repeat of last week, when he told the Houston Chronicle that if the Texans passed on him with the No. 1 pick, “It would be the worst decision they’ve ever made.” (Even though—funny—it’s become part of Peyton Manning folklore that Manning did precisely the same thing with the Colts in 1998 when they were choosing between him and Ryan Leaf to be the top pick in the draft. Manning said to GM Bill Polian’s face, “If you pass on me, I will come back and kick your a– for years.” So let’s go easy with the idea of Manziel’s brashness ruining his chances in Houston.)

“I’m starved,” he says. He orders dinner, alternately drinks water and Gatorade, and sits upright, his back to all the curious eyes that he’s gotten used to.

Now, about the Manning Passing Academy incident last summer, when he was sent home for not showing up on time one morning …

“I got back from the function that we had the prior night, went to my room, and plugged my phone in to wake up at 8 o’clock the next day,” Manziel says. “When I woke up the next day I realized it was a little lighter outside than it had been the morning before. I shuffled around and looked for my phone in the bed and pressed the top button, pressed the home button. No juice. And I really woke up freaking out. I got to camp about 30 minutes late. I met with the head people, met with the counselors, and they asked me to go home. I poured my heart out to them and told them I was having a great time getting to know these kids, getting to know the people in my group. I didn’t want to go. I tried to talk to them to let them know the situation. For some reason, there was kind of a rift in communication with people saying I wasn’t in my room. And I absolutely was. I woke up in my bed in my dorm room like I had the two mornings previous.”

“And the rumors that you’d been in New Orleans that night?” I ask.

“Absolutely not,” Manziel says. “We were in Thibodaux, [La.], whatever the name of the place was, until 12 or 1, got a shuttle back to the dorm, got to sleep and really just accidentally the phone died. And then I remember really being upset when my mom came and got me. And Peyton and Eli both gave me a call and said they wished things would’ve went differently, wished they had a chance to talk to me before things went the way they did. And what I wanted to let them know was I was extremely sorry. Those are guys that I’ve looked up to, guys that I want to be like one day.

“I told him if I come back next year, the first thing I’m going to set on my schedule is to come back to this camp and be the first one up every morning and really make up for what happened this year. And both him and Eli have all said they wish things had gone differently, and so do I. At the same time, I do realize I have the responsibility to be up, regardless of the situation but just really wish things would’ve gone differently.”

This is what Manziel was asked, to be sure, in his meetings here. Some of them, at least. And he was prepared to answer the questions about his partying. “I’ve tried to be completely honest with the teams,” he said. “I was in college. I did some college things with my friends. I had fun, and the thing that I told some team tonight is, my Mom always told me, ‘There’s a time and a place for everything.’ There were points throughout the last year maybe I was a little bit out of that saying. I did things too much and maybe overly aggressive. At the same time, things progressed fast for me. A lot of things were thrown on my plate and pushed into my life, and I really ran with those. To get back to that saying, there’s a time and a place for everything. There’s a time to have fun, there’s a time to work.

“As rapidly as everything came along, having to learn from my mistakes, through all the trials and errors, learning from that, and at the same time, I had different obligations than really most anybody has had. I am the only person I know of that had a schedule directly tied with our director of football operations to do whatever it was the school was asking of me. And really I’m incredibly loyal to Texas A&M. It was the school that gave me an opportunity when not a lot of other places did. But I feel like with the media attention I had, the scrutiny, and everything that I went through last year, it directly prepares me for this.”

He says he doesn’t feel he’s in direct competition with Blake Bortles or Teddy Bridgewater, though certainly he is. “I’m going to go be extremely honest with these teams, let them see a side of me that some people don’t get to see,” Manziel says. “Talk football, which is something we all love to do. And from there, it’s their decision. I’m going to put myself in the best situation possible, but at the end of the day, I can only control what I can control.”

Then he begins talking about Russell Wilson. Though they’re different as people, their size and competitiveness are very close. “Just watching him in the Super Bowl,” Manziel says “they really got their momentum with him, extending drives. That’s what you have to do. Convert on third down, and not turn the ball over. That’s something that Russell is incredibly good at. And he’s extremely accurate. Russell Wilson is a Super Bowl-winning quarterback. I’m not going to sit myself in this seat today and compare me to him. I have a lot to do to earn my stripes and earn my position in this league. I realize nothing is going to be handed to me. I have to go work for it. That’s good. That’s right. Some people said he couldn’t do a lot of things, but he found his way.

“That’s how I am. You can tell me ‘no’ all you want, but at the end of the day I’m going to win. I’m going to be successful.”

Manziel is not the warmest guy, nor the fuzziest. Nor, obviously, the tallest. But he is the guy Nick Saban cannot solve. Manziel’s numbers in two games against Alabama: 71 points, 717 passing yards, one gigantic upset. If there’s no incident under a rock that will doom Manziel, this is all going to come down to football, and playmaking, and determination. Manziel will take his chances against anyone in those categories.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

Manziel, the polished version.

“I got back from the function that we had the prior night, went to my room, and plugged my phone in to wake up at 8 o’clock the next day,” Manziel says. “When I woke up the next day I realized it was a little lighter outside than it had been the morning before. I shuffled around and looked for my phone in the bed and pressed the top button, pressed the home button. No juice. And I really woke up freaking out. I got to camp about 30 minutes late. I met with the head people, met with the counselors, and they asked me to go home. I poured my heart out to them and told them I was having a great time getting to know these kids, getting to know the people in my group. I didn’t want to go. I tried to talk to them to let them know the situation. For some reason, there was kind of a rift in communication with people saying I wasn’t in my room. And I absolutely was. I woke up in my bed in my dorm room like I had the two mornings previous.”

“And the rumors that you’d been in New Orleans that night?” I ask.

“Absolutely not,” Manziel says. “We were in Thibodaux, [La.], whatever the name of the place was, until 12 or 1, got a shuttle back to the dorm, got to sleep and really just accidentally the phone died. And then I remember really being upset when my mom came and got me. And Peyton and Eli both gave me a call and said they wished things would’ve went differently, wished they had a chance to talk to me before things went the way they did. And what I wanted to let them know was I was extremely sorry. Those are guys that I’ve looked up to, guys that I want to be like one day.
LOL the dbag cannot even take responisiblity for his eff up. Blaming it on the phone, nice one Johnny.

Kids a disaster waiting to happen.

Connor Shaw is a better version of Maziel IMO. Probably won't even get drafted.
How does a facsimile ever outshine the original? Just looking for a reference point, but in your case, the reference point keeps moving.
Well JF is supposed to be Russel Wilson like.. They have a lot in common. Shaw is a better passer. No one cares because TMZ wasn't at his last party with cameras.Common opponents in 2013 (Missouri, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy) comparison:

73.3% Comp. Pct., 12 TD/4 INT, 11.8 yards per completion, 34.5 ry/pg, 0TD = Manziel

66.0% Comp. Pct., 13 TD/0 INT, 12.2 yards per completion, 24.8 ry/pg, 1 TD = Shaw

And he is taller, bigger with no character flaws. Some things about the NFL I will never understand.
Yes, TMZ is the determining factor between a possible #1 overall, and a guy fighting to hear his name called at all. :yes:
Ever here of a joke?
You are referring to the bolded I assume?
Yes. Shaw ran a faster 40 and is slightly bigger. He arguably had a better passing season in the same exact conference(look for yourself) and has 0 character concerns. His story doesn't move the needle so he isn't seriously evaluated/considered. If Manziel is considered a #1 pick, Shaw should be a 2nd-3rd pick.

How does a facsimile ever outshine the original? Just looking for a reference point, but in your case, the reference point keeps moving.
Well JF is supposed to be Russel Wilson like.. They have a lot in common. Shaw is a better passer. No one cares because TMZ wasn't at his last party with cameras.Common opponents in 2013 (Missouri, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy) comparison:

73.3% Comp. Pct., 12 TD/4 INT, 11.8 yards per completion, 34.5 ry/pg, 0TD = Manziel

66.0% Comp. Pct., 13 TD/0 INT, 12.2 yards per completion, 24.8 ry/pg, 1 TD = Shaw

And he is taller, bigger with no character flaws. Some things about the NFL I will never understand.
Yes, TMZ is the determining factor between a possible #1 overall, and a guy fighting to hear his name called at all. :yes:
Ever here of a joke?
Yes. Shaw ran a faster 40 and is slightly bigger. He arguably had a better passing season in the same exact conference(look for yourself) and has 0 character concerns. His story doesn't move the needle so he isn't seriously evaluated/considered. If Manziel is considered a #1 pick, Shaw should be a 2nd-3rd pick.
Maybe the stats were similar, but what Manziel did with one of the worst defenses in the NCAA was amazing. He kept his team competitive almost every week with little to no help from the defense. Shaw played with a solid defense and clearly wasn't under the constant pressure to score as Manziel was. He also was able to play a little safer in that regards. Not sure if this means anything to anyone else, but I was impressed with Manziel's leadership in this regard.

Not saying the Shaw wasn't really good this year, but I think that is point worth mentioning. Shaw had some good moments, but Manziel is head and shoulders above him to me. Also, before someone chimes in, I'm not knocking Shaw because he played with a better defense. I'm just saying if they switch places, TAMU is not nearly as good.

Shaw is a solid prospect (3rd-4th rd area). On the other hand, I totally believe that Manziel is worth a 1st round pick.

Ever here of a joke?
Huh? :confused:

What's the argument?

Ever here of a joke?
Huh? :confused:

What's the argument?
Idk because I haven't heard more than a subjective rebuttal. I tree fell in the woods I guess.

Rotoworld:

Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel was reportedly "very impressive" in interviews with the Jaguars and Raiders at the NFL Scouting Combine over the weekend.
"He did a really nice job in there. He was prepared for the interview, very prepared," Jaguars GM Dave Caldwell said. "We’ve found nothing that’s come across as a fatal flaw to us." Raiders owner Mark Davis was said to be "very impressed" after Oakland's 15-minute sit-down with Johnny Football. The Jaguars and Raiders hold the third and fifth picks, respectively, in May's draft.

Related: Jaguars, Raiders

Source: Sports Illustrated

Ever here of a joke?
180 for 284 passing 63.4% 2,447 yards 24 TD's Shaw300 for 429 69.9% 4,114 yards 37 TD's Manziel

Arguably had a better passing season? No.

Well JF is supposed to be Russel Wilson like.. They have a lot in common. Shaw is a better passer. No one cares because TMZ wasn't at his last party with cameras.Common opponents in 2013 (Missouri, Miss State, Arkansas, Vandy) comparison:73.3% Comp. Pct., 12 TD/4 INT, 11.8 yards per completion, 34.5 ry/pg, 0TD = Manziel66.0% Comp. Pct., 13 TD/0 INT, 12.2 yards per completion, 24.8 ry/pg, 1 TD = ShawAnd he is taller, bigger with no character flaws. Some things about the NFL I will never understand.
Ever here of a joke?
180 for 284 passing 63.4% 2,447 yards 24 TD's Shaw300 for 429 69.9% 4,114 yards 37 TD's ManzielArguably had a better passing season? No.
You really think it's that simple?

ShaHBucks said:
Village Idiot said:
180 for 284 passing 63.4% 2,447 yards 24 TD's Shaw300 for 429 69.9% 4,114 yards 37 TD's ManzielArguably had a better passing season? No.
For anyone familiar with the concept of "greater than" or "less than" I think the answer is obviously yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
ShaHBucks said:
Village Idiot said:
For anyone familiar with the concept of "greater than" or "less than" I think the answer is obviously yes.
Case closed. I'll stick with the more advanced metrics at my disposal though.

ShaHBucks said:
Village Idiot said:
And when you're done, convince us that Alex Smith had a better passing season than Peyton Manning.

ShaHBucks said:
Village Idiot said:
Where would you draft Shaw? And in addition, where should Manziel go?

ShaHBucks said:
Village Idiot said:
Where would you draft Shaw? And in addition, where should Manziel go?
I wouldn't get cute. I'd sit back and take a look at him in the 4th-5th, as he is projected, if I ran some type of pistol offense. You might even get a free look after the draft. I'd like to see if I have a Russel Wilson on my hands or not. I have the same take on Manziel. I'd want in during the 2nd-3rd because he's a unique player, but some team will hand him the keys to the franchise in the 1st. I have them near the same grade. One is a superior passer, the other is a better more likely runner. All I'm saying is if Maziel is a #1 prospect, Shaw should be taken more seriously. He did his work in the same confrense and big bowl games. Just for fun:

In 2013, Manziel threw 13 INTs in 428 throws. Shaw had 16 INTs in his 42 game career in 733 throws.

In 2013, Manziel rushed for 752 yards on 152 carries and 9 TDs. Shaw rushed for 558 yards in 154 carries and 6 TDs.

I'll give you an example of the difference in media attention:

On New Year's Eve, Johnny Manziel defeated a paper tiger defensive unit in the Duke Blue Devils. He led an amazing comeback, and had incredible numbers: 79% of his passes completed, 4 passing TDs with 427 passing yards, no picks, 73 yards rushing and 1 TDs. All totaled: 500 yards of offense and 5 TDs...in a narrow win against Duke. Johnny Football is immediately hailed as potentially the greatest QB in the land.

The next day, Connor Shaw took down a much more solid defensive unit in Wisconsin. Shaw completed 88.0% of his passes (22-25) throwing for 312 yards and 3 TD/0 INT. He also ran for 47 yards, plus rushed for a TD. One more thing: he caught a 9-yard TD pass. All totaled for the game, Shaw had 368 yards of offense, and 5 TDs (scoring in three different ways)...in a physical win over Wisconsin. ...crickets chirping...

ShaHBucks said:
Village Idiot said:
And when you're done, convince us that Alex Smith had a better passing season than Peyton Manning.
I'll stick with ones that had me saying Nick Foles might be as good a pocket passer as Andrew Luck here for over a year now.

Jaworski down on Manziel. Not sure how great his track record is on QB predictions, but interesting nonetheless

Analysis: "I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong - and often accurate - opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.

Jaworski down on Manziel. Not sure how great his track record is on QB predictions, but interesting nonetheless

Analysis: "I'm not crazy about him, to be honest with you," Jaws said of the potential No. 1 overall pick. "I've only looked at five games. I wouldn't take him in the first three rounds. That's my opinion. It's incomplete right now. But he has not done a whole lot to me." Jaws is known for his strong - and often accurate - opinions on quarterbacks, but it's surprising he'd go to the extreme of calling Manziel a day-three pick. Manziel has the potential to be one of the most dissected and over-analyzed prospects in draft history.
Day 3 may be a bit harsh, but I wouldn't spend a 1st on him for sure. I dont recall Jaws talking about prospects much to be honest. I love his analysis of pro guys though so I value his take quit a bit.

Johnny Football. 5'11 200lbs. He is not made for a long career as a NFL QB.
I despise the guy personally but he's an inch taller and 3 lbs. heavier than Russell Wilson. He's a tad slower but has better agility. If he goes somewhere like Wilson where he doesn't have to throw 35 times a game he can be successful.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ron Jaworski says Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "won't last three games" in the NFL playing the way he did in college.
"He’s a random quarterback who likes to get out of the pocket and make plays with his legs," Jaws said. "In the NFL, he won’t last three games playing that style. He’ll get hurt. He took a lot of vicious hits at A&M in the last two years." This comes after Jaws said he wouldn't take Manziel "in the first three rounds" of May's draft. ESPN's QB guru says Manziel has developed such a habit of leaving the pocket that NFL teams may not be able to coach it out of him. Jaws also cited inconsistent mechanics. Manziel's still going to be an early first-rounder.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ron Jaworski says Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "won't last three games" in the NFL playing the way he did in college.
"He’s a random quarterback who likes to get out of the pocket and make plays with his legs," Jaws said. "In the NFL, he won’t last three games playing that style. He’ll get hurt. He took a lot of vicious hits at A&M in the last two years." This comes after Jaws said he wouldn't take Manziel "in the first three rounds" of May's draft. ESPN's QB guru says Manziel has developed such a habit of leaving the pocket that NFL teams may not be able to coach it out of him. Jaws also cited inconsistent mechanics. Manziel's still going to be an early first-rounder.

Source: Sirius XM NFL Radio
He is absolutely correct. 5'11 200lbs qbs are not long for this league. Add in his arrogance and off the field stuff then he is undraftable IMO.

Pretty funny that Kiper has him going #1 to the Texans - which to me seems about as likely that i'll hear my name called on draft day.

Every where I look I see Manziel listed as a combine winner. Seriously, WTF? Am I missing something here? The guy came in shorter, lighter and slower than expected. He also didn't throw a ball the whole time. We all knew he had good change of direction skills and the short shuttle is the only thing he did well at. Without seeing him throw, that performance was basically useless to me. It was also a rather disappointing outing from what I can see.

Every where I look I see Manziel listed as a combine winner. Seriously, WTF? Am I missing something here? The guy came in shorter, lighter and slower than expected. He also didn't throw a ball the whole time. We all knew he had good change of direction skills and the short shuttle is the only thing he did well at. Without seeing him throw, that performance was basically useless to me. It was also a rather disappointing outing from what I can see.
Not at all.

Rotoworld:

Rotoworld:

Former Oklahoma head coach Barry Switzer called Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel "a little #####."
The comment stemmed from Switzer stating he does not like Manziel's "antics." The legendary head coach then added some glowing statements regarding Manziel, saying "I've compared Manziel to Michael Jordan and Oscar Robertson. He takes over a game like those guys did." Switzer believes the Rams should select Manziel with the second pick, if he is still there.

Source: Tim McKernan on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread