What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (1 Viewer)

did anyone really think he wouldn't do good on his pro day? Throwing the football is not his problem
There were a lot of people that questioned his arm strength. And it is possible for a QB to not have a great showing on their pro day.....it happened a few days ago.

Johnny Manziel shines in pro-day workoutBy Bryan Fischer

College Football 24/7 writer

The only thing missing might have been an introduction from the late Ed McMahon.

There were general managers. There were head coaches. There was a former president of the United States. There was plenty of rap music, too.

It's safe to say there will never be another pro day like Johnny Manziel's ever again. And surprisingly it might have lived up to the hype.

» LeBron James, Michael Vick praise Manziel on Twitter

"He showed us he can make all the throws," NFL Network analyst Kurt Warner said. "That deep ball was impeccable. Great touch, good enough velocity and was able to set it out there."

"I think (Manziel) loves competition," NFL Media draft analyst Mike Mayock said. "He lights up like a Christmas tree with all these GMs here."

Manziel completed 61 of 64 passes Thursday at Texas A&M's indoor facility. He had one blemish with a throw that was too low, but was otherwise on target with just about every throw. One throw was caught out of bounds and the other incompletion was a drop.

Mayock compared Manziel's arm strength with the other top quarterback prospects in this year's draft -- Blake Bortles and Teddy Bridgewater -- and said Manziel's arm was at least as strong as Bortles' and looks stronger than Bridgewater's. Mayock raved about Manziel's competitiveness and said Manziel confirmed that he can make every throw mechanically.

The quarterback was likewise pleased with how he performed.

"My main thing is I'm not scared of anything. I don't play that way. Why come out here in a scripted workout and be scared of anything?" Manziel said in a post-workout interview on NFL Network. "Throw the pigskin around and let's have fun. This was a football player's dream."

Eight teams sent head coaches to the pro day -- Bill O'Brien, Chip Kelly, Gus Bradley and Mike Zimmer were among those in attendance. NFL general managers also flocked to College Station to catch a glimpse of the most anticipated pro day in recent memory.

The end result was not only a chance for Manziel to impress front offices with what he can do on the field, but also to prove to teams that he has the makeup to be the top pick in the 2014 NFL Draft.

"I'm an extremely coachable kid and I'm ready to learn. That's the biggest thing for me," Manziel said. "There were things that I wasn't asked to do at A&M, protections and so many things you have to do, so throw it at me. I want it. I need to learn it eventually. I'm tired of saying 'Man, I wish I would have known that when I was there.' Let's try and get ahead of the game.

"I just want to let these guys know that my focus is football. This is my life, this is what I love to do. I've never been more dedicated my entire life. I'm so excited. I understand the challenge."

It remains to be seen if that will be enough to persuade the Texans to make him the selection atop the draft this year. The club that decides to take a chance on the gunslinger from A&M could be getting a future Pro Bowl player based on what Mayock saw on Thursday.

"There's a leap of faith involved from a general manager or team perspective if you want to take this kid in the top 10," Mayock said. "When chaos happens, he's phenomenal. What you have to buy into, if he's a top-10 pick, is that he's going to learn. If you combine his spontaneity with an ability to win from within the pocket, then you've got something unique in today's NFL. If you get that, yeah, he's the No. 1 pick in the draft."

Will he ultimately wind up hearing his name called first by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell at Radio City Music Hall on May 8? We'll see. He certainly took a step in the right direction with his workout on Thursday, though.

Johnny Manziel shows variety of throws, drops at pro day

By Chase Goodbread

Former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel put on quite a show for the assembled NFL coaches and scouts at his pro day performance on Thursday. According to the TAMU Athletics Department, 75 NFL personnel were on hand, representing 30 of 32 clubs, including eight head coaches and eight general managers. Among the head coaches were Mike Zimmer of the Minnesota Vikings, Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith, Jacksonville Jaguars coach Gus Bradley, and Houston Texans coach Bill O'Brien.

Here is a by-the-numbers look at what they saw:

Passes: 66

Completions: 64

Passes from the pocket: 51

Rollouts and simulated escapes: 15

Three-step drops: 23

Five-step drops or play-action: 18

Seven-step drops: 10

Out routes: 19

Deep balls/fades: 12

Seam routes: 9

Drags and crosses: 8

Slants: 6

Curls: 5

Screens: 4

Flats: 2

Post routes: 1

Notable: Manziel's two incompletions came on a seam route over the middle that was a bit too high, and on an out route to the right sideline. There was also a sideline route to Mike Evans that he appeared to juggle while going out of bounds, but it was unclear whether he had possession before stepping out. The seam routes down the middle of the field appeared to be more troublesome than most for Manziel, sailing one high for a tough catch, and throwing another behind Evans, forcing him to make a tough adjustment. ... On both of of the passes that hit the ground, TAMU receivers were able, as private quarterback coach George Whitfield said afterward "to get their gloves on it." ... Several of Manziel's deep passes were flawlessly accurate, and most were thrown on the run, either on a rollout pass or after a simulated escape from the pocket. "Throwing on the run is one of the things he does best," said Bucs coach Lovie Smith. "It was impressive." ... On Manziel's final throw, a deep completion to Evans, manziel screamed "Boom!" as the catch was made, drawing laugher and a few cheers from onlookers.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Last edited by a moderator:
A pro day doesn't really show much. There is no defense and everything is pretty scripted. The one thing that everyone is just starting to realize is he actually has an arm. Well if you've watched him for more than a 2 minute highlight you'd already know that. In a weird way he actually opened up some eyes of scouts today. Now all of the sudden he can throw? He's been able to. People need to start watching full games before they decide what a player can and can't do. It seems like even scouts haven't done their homework on this guy. Weaknesses are size and style of play, no doubt. Not accuracy, arm strength, vision, or pocket awareness. I'm glad everyone is starting to come around and realize the kid can throw, not just run around.

Jeremiah: Johnny Manziel did everything he needed on pro day

By Bryan Fischer

Anybody hear any 2014 NFL Draft buzz on Thursday? No? Must have been a quiet day.

Oh yeah, there was that kid Johnny Manziel's pro day. In fact, it was pretty much the biggest thing on the NFL pro day circuit in decades.

Beyond the hoopla, though, there was an actual workout in front of all but two NFL teams. NFL Media analyst Daniel Jeremiah watched every throw by Manziel and was one of many who came away impressed.

"I thought he had a solid day," Jeremiah said. "I liked the anticipation and throwing on time. You know you're a big-time prospect when LeBron James is tweeting about your pro day."

That's true. James did send out a message about Manziel's workout, which would be impressive, if not for the fact that the two are in business together. They're also in a McDonald's commercial together, but that's neither here nor there.

Jeremiah had Manziel as his 10th-best prospect in the draft coming into Thursday, but it remains a possibility that he gets bumped up slightly when the updated rankings come out.

In his latest mock draft, Jeremiah also slotted Manziel to the Vikings with the seventh overall pick, and it just so happens head coach Mike Zimmer was in College Station to see the throwing session.

"I thought he did everything he needed to do," Jeremiah said. "This is what a pro day is supposed to look like."

Perhaps he was also referring to Manziel making the unusual choice of throwing in pads, and not that President George H.W. Bush was one of the onlookers in the crowd.

Either way, it was a good day for Johnny Football.

Follow Bryan Fischer on Twitter @BryanDFischer.

Like Browns head coach Mike Pettine and OC Kyle Shanahan and QB Dowell Loggains I wasn't there.

Neither was Jaws but ESPN already posted his reaction to JFF's Pro Day.

Includes some video highlights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTsLYLbiSG8

Ron Jaworski Reacts to Johnny Manziel's Pro Day

Published on Mar 27, 2014

SportsCenter's Jay Crawford sits down with Ron Jaworski to discuss Johnny Manziel's pro day performance.

Johnny Manziel dazzles NFL coaches and scouts at his Pro Day: quick reactionExcerpt:

The Browns will soon conduct a private workout with Manziel, who's on the radar for their No. 4 overall pick, but they missed watching his 61-of-64 performance live, including plenty of eye-popping 50- and 60-yard throws on the run.

"I don't think there's very many guys even at the National Football League level that can make those kind of throws,'' Warner told Manziel on the NFL Network set.

Warner also said during the showcase, "With what we've seen, he's been extremely impressive. Overall, I think he's been really, really solid.''

ESPN's Mel Kiper Jr. ranked Manziel's workout No. 1 among the big three, with Blake Bortles second and Teddy Bridgewater third. He predicted Manziel will go as high as No. 3 to Jacksonville.

ESPN's Bill Polian observed that Manziel has "quick, nimble feet,'' but expressed concern that he threw with a lower arm angle, meaning he'll play to his 5-11 height.

Warner, who mostly praised Manziel, also expressed concerned about the arm angle.

"He's dropping his elbow a little bit and throwing it sidearmed,'' Warner said. "You have to get that elbow up to throw it over a linebacker. His deep ball has been impeccable, but on the shorter throws, he's dropping his arm.''

NFL Network Mike Mayock observed that, "He can make every throw mechanically. His arm strength is on par with that of Bortles. He had that beautiful spontaneity on the run and he's confirmed many things. He's not opening up questions for me like Bridgewater did.''

Was just about post about CLE before seeing the above post.

BTW, I get taking Watkins or Robinson/Matthews at 1.4 (or Clowney in the unlikely event he gets that far).

But not attending the workout could be another kind of smoke screen (I think Shanahan didn't go to Cutler's pro day, not sure if DEN had any presence?), and doesn't mean they aren't interested.

Pettine was praising Carr, which is pretty much the last thing you would do is to alert the other 31 teams to your intended target, if you were interested.

But maybe they are pretending to feign interest so teams will think they aren't interested, when they really are, dis-disinformation (double or triple agent?). It's like the poison scene in Princess Bride.

CLE fans (here anyways) seem really down on him, and I do see the positives in adding the above 3-4 non-QBs at 1.4, but Manziel to Gordon would be an interesting connection.

While I like the sound of Manziel in Cleveland, I don't see him being there at the 4 spot after today. Houston, JAX or someone trading up to the 2 spot would take him.

Johnny Manziel says wearing pads at pro day was "no-brainer"By Chase Goodbread

COLLEGE STATION, Texas -- Johnny Manziel's decision to wear a helmet and shoulder pads for his pro-day workout Thursday was, to say the least, unconventional. But for Manziel, it was an easy choice and one that he felt was important in wanting to show NFL coaches and scouts that he was willing to set up more of a challenge for himself.

"You play the game in football pads. You play the game in shoulder pads on Sundays," Manziel said. "Why not come out here and do it? I've never understood why (pro-day workouts without pads) was a trend. For me it was a no-brainer. We came out to treat this as a business day. To treat this as a game day."

Said Houston Texans general manager Rick Smith, whose team holds the No. 1 overall pick: "I've never seen than done before, and it didn't seem like it affected him negatively."

His performance was certainly none the worse for it, completing 61 of 64 passes and wowing the assembled crowd with a few deep passes that hit receivers right in stride. He began the workout with some shorter throws to get into rhythm, and eventually showed a wide variety of drops, rollouts, and play-action, throwing a number of different routes. Perhaps his decision to do so in half pads was summed up best by his private quarterback coach, George Whitfield.

"He had asked me about it before the combine. He wanted to know what the teams respect. I told him they respect challenges," Whitfield said. "You get to create your own test, you can make it a spelling bee, or you can make it a calculus exam. ... Let's make it as challenging and uphill as possible so it's sweeter at the back end."

Shoulder pads certainly wouldn't qualify as a calculus exam, given the other favorable variables (uncovered receivers, etc.), but it nevertheless made something of a statement to the NFL personnel men on hand that Manziel's plan wasn't just about looking good.

It was about being good.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

I watched it, he was really good..... On some throws on the run even scary good. Only thing is, he knew there was only one guy with a broom coming at him, and when he was going to stop. That said, 90% or more of the throws were on the dime, even the deep ones. A LOT of chest thumps and high fives going around during the workout.

Edit to add: The workout was indoors....... Not sure if that means anything or not, just saying...........

A pro day doesn't really show much. There is no defense and everything is pretty scripted. The one thing that everyone is just starting to realize is he actually has an arm. Well if you've watched him for more than a 2 minute highlight you'd already know that. In a weird way he actually opened up some eyes of scouts today. Now all of the sudden he can throw? He's been able to. People need to start watching full games before they decide what a player can and can't do. It seems like even scouts haven't done their homework on this guy. Weaknesses are size and style of play, no doubt. Not accuracy, arm strength, vision, or pocket awareness. I'm glad everyone is starting to come around and realize the kid can throw, not just run around.
The pro day shows hes got good mechanics, i really haven't read all the negatives or blips about him. I watched a couple of his games and there really was no question about his arm or throwing.... the questions are his heart and size. If he puts in the work theres little question he'll be good, I just worry that it won't be long after hes drafted that we see him partying like Lienart.

I am a believer. I have been for a few months now. Love his swagger, arm, elusiveness. No way he busts in my mind. I'm sold. Should be the top rookie QB taken in FF dynasty leagues and a top 2-5 selection in rookie drafts.

hes smaller than vick
he is 6ft 200lbs
...he is 6ft 200lbs. Yeah we know
he is not 6'1 and he doesnt have a strong arm. Basically everyone acknowledges this
He is 6ft 200lbs, character issues and concerns about his arm strength. Thats why people may be hesitant.
and his size and his immaturity.
in that pic he looks tiny
Johnny Football. 5'11 200lbs. He is not made for a long career as a NFL QB.
5'11 200lbs qbs are not long for this league. Add in his arrogance and off the field stuff then he is undraftable IMO.
Lol

5'11 200 lb qb's just scream championships.
This is some serious hating. Impressive effort you have invested in this.

I was trying to not like this guy, but when he decided to throw with helmet and pads on? I have to say I like that. I bet a lot of coaches did too.

Mike Zimmer: Johnny Manziel pro day was 'sideshow'By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Johnny Manziel won't be on an NFL roster for more than a month, but he's already made some history. No other prospect has ever seen his pro day temporarily stopped for the arrival of a former U.S. President.

Manziel performed well on Thursday by all accounts, before and after George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara arrived on a golf cart. Manziel wore pads, camoflouge shorts and essentially created a mixtape to play during the session. His workout gear is already for sale.

"It was different. It was a different workout," Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Zimmer also called it a "sideshow" and "choreographed."

It's no surprise that some in the NFL would blanch at Manziel's approach. Professional football essentially is conservative, and Manziel decidedly is not.

While some folks may see the Manziel show as a circus, it's not going to slow down interest in him. Zimmer, offensive coordinator Norv Turner and general manager Rick Spielman are taking Manziel to dinner Thursday night, and will meet with him Friday.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" offers a full recap of the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, then proposes player moves that won't happen (but probably should).

Mike Zimmer: Johnny Manziel pro day was 'sideshow'

By Gregg Rosenthal

Around The League Editor

Johnny Manziel won't be on an NFL roster for more than a month, but he's already made some history. No other prospect has ever seen his pro day temporarily stopped for the arrival of a former U.S. President.

Manziel performed well on Thursday by all accounts, before and after George H.W. Bush and his wife Barbara arrived on a golf cart. Manziel wore pads, camoflouge shorts and essentially created a mixtape to play during the session. His workout gear is already for sale.

"It was different. It was a different workout," Minnesota Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said via the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Zimmer also called it a "sideshow" and "choreographed."

It's no surprise that some in the NFL would blanch at Manziel's approach. Professional football essentially is conservative, and Manziel decidedly is not.

While some folks may see the Manziel show as a circus, it's not going to slow down interest in him. Zimmer, offensive coordinator Norv Turner and general manager Rick Spielman are taking Manziel to dinner Thursday night, and will meet with him Friday.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" offers a full recap of the NFL Annual Meeting in Orlando, then proposes player moves that won't happen (but probably should).
Someone is pissed he might not be there at 8.

It's going to be funny if all the critics of the new Bucs jersey are either A) watching it become the top seller, or B) wearing one.

Has he cemented a top 5 pick?

If Bortles goes #1, JAX, CLE and OAK could want a QB. Clowney will be in the mix. No idea if Manziel or Bridgewater grades higher on team's boards (specifically, the three above).

If Bortles goes #1, JAX, CLE and OAK could want a QB. Clowney will be in the mix. No idea if Manziel or Bridgewater grades higher on team's boards (specifically, the three above).
I don't think any of the QBs has cemented a top 5 pick. Really, I think Clowney is the only guaranteed top 5 pick.

Let's not all take our clothes off and have an orgy just because he threw some good passes on a pro day.

I've been pretty high on Manziel since this past CFB season when he demonstrated he could build on his earlier successes and improve. I primarily watch SEC football every Saturday so I have an admitted bias toward the guys I see on a regular basis. I've been waiting for something to move me off my high evaluation more than something to confirm it, so the pro day is just another piece that matches up with his game tape to me--nothing to overreact to if you liked him or didn't like him before. I've been sold since early last season. I figured after the autograph stuff and his on-field behavior in the first game that someone from an SEC defense was going to knock his head off and he'd be a different guy. Then I just kept watching him tear good/great teams apart, and I started paying attention to the people closest to him defending him and saying that he's exceptionally smart and dedicated to becoming a great QB, and all those claims were matching up with his on-field production. The two games against LSU certainly factor in for me as a small negative, but I think we're built very different from most NFL teams, with small, fast LBs and smaller DEs who can play to contain spread attacks (which we've had a lot of success against). Against teams built like Bama--big, sturdy LBs and D-linemen--he had consistent success, and those teams look more like NFL defenses to me.

http://rosterwatch.com/johnny-manziel-exclusive-pro-day-footage-every-throw

A lot of pop, a lot of sizzle. We at RosterWatch know it when we hear it. It’s what we saw and it’s what we heard today in College Station.

Johnny Football made an entrance Vince McMahon and the WWE would be jealous of. Drake was blaring – Manziel set a pro-day precedent walking out in a black helmet, shoulder pads, and a black jersey. No other quarterback, in anyone’s memory—or ever in history, according to Manziel’s private QB coach George Whitfield—has thrown the “t-shirt and shorts pro day workout” to the wind in favor of an armor-clad one.

Manziel then led his teammates to the middle of the field to address the 75 scouts, head coaches and league personnel in attendance to thank them for being at the workout. He introduced all of his teammates that would be working out with him and appeared very natural conducting this on-field bit of leadership. No scouts we asked could remember any high-profile player ever starting their workout in this way.

We’ve seen every rookie quarterback prospect you can think of throw live since 2011: Russell Wilson, Ryan Tannehill, Nick Foles, Geno Smith, EJ Manuel, Kirk Cousins, Mike Glennon, you name it- but it’s RG3 who set the benchmark. He was a completely different animal.

Today, Johnny Manziel put on a performance that was in the RG3 ballpark. We drove into College Station very skeptical about the arm talent we were expecting to see. We left impressed, knowing we just saw Russell Wilson-level arm strength. Which translates to an above average NFL arm at minimum. Remember that Russell Wilson can throw a 98 mph fastball – that’s a big endorsement for Johnny Football.

Many of our questions were answered, but a couple of old ones have resurfaced. Johnny threw the ball with velocity, it popped out of his hand. He spun it with a tight spiral, and was able to drive the football outside the numbers. There is now no question in our minds, even outside of his marketability, that Manziel is a Top 2 QB talent in this draft, and certainly a justifiable Top 10 pick.

And if it’s down to two, is it Blake Bortles or Johnny Football?

Yes.

Furthermore, is Manziel back in the mix as the No. 1 overall prospect in this draft?

Yes.

Somebody the Houston Texans may employ with the first pick in the draft?

Yes. Manziel deserves consideration for all of the following.

Check out our Pro Day Tour footage of every throw he made today, and decide for yourself. Also see our videos on all the other prospects from our stops.

Let's not all take our clothes off and have an orgy just because he threw some good passes on a pro day.
I thought the pro day was more of a confirmation of his already high status, doubtful many teams weight the pro day 99.9% of the total evaluation. :)

I don't think any of the QBs has cemented a top 5 pick. Really, I think Clowney is the only guaranteed top 5 pick.
That was a strong word, which is why I asked (about the top 5, too). I would be shocked if Bortles didn't go in the top 5, and I expect him to go #1, but that is admittedly speculative (not cemented). I'll be really surprised if at least two QBs aren't off the board after MIN picks.

Mayock: Johnny Manziel would be my pick if I needed a QB

By Bryan Fischer

The latest stop on the Johnny Manziel reality show made its way to the familiar setting of College Station on Thursday for the star quarterback's pro day.

The well-attended affair drew rave reviews from those in attendance, including scouts, analysts and even a former world leader. Despite the talent Manziel flashed at the Texas A&M indoor facility, where he ends up in the 2014 NFL Draft continues to be as unpredictable as it was earlier in the week. But for NFL Media analyst Mike Mayock, Manziel's pro day provided him with a clear answer.

"If I'm a GM in the top 10 and I had to take a quarterback today, it would be Johnny Manziel," Mayock said on "Path to the Draft." "A lot of it is on the strength of defensive coordinators not wanting to deal with that style of play, and me buying into the kid. I'm buying into the kid as a competitor more than anything."

Manziel was rated by Mayock as the draft's second-best quarterback when his positional rankings were released at the beginning of the month, but there's little doubt Manziel saw his stock go up with the throwing session. With eight head coaches in attendance at the pro day and a number of teams hunting for quarterbacks in the top 10, a few general managers might have to start thinking about moving up in the draft if teams continue to fall in love with the most interesting prospect in years.

"I think it's that X-factor that makes you go, 'Can we afford to pass on him? Can we allow someone else to get that X-factor?'" NFL Network's Kurt Warner said. "I still believe you're not going to be able to answer the questions you're going to need to answer until he's on the field, in that setting, reading defenses and showing he can do that.

"He showed us that special factor again today that we look at and go, 'That doesn't come around very often.'"

That's one reason why Manziel was able to become the first freshman (he was a redshirt) to win the Heisman Trophy two years ago, and why he confounded defenses in the mighty SEC, to the point where coaches are probably relieved to see him go.

Current NFL.com mock drafts have Manziel going anywhere from No. 5 to the Raiders to No. 8 the Vikings. The Texans, already on the clock, remain a possibility if Bill O'Brien and company opt to go that route.

"I think we confirmed today his arm strength -- it's fine," Mayock said. "It's every bit as good as [blake] Bortles or anyone we've seen this year. Mechanically, he can make any throw an NFL quarterback has to make.

"The final piece of the puzzle you can't figure out in a pro day is, when you put the pads on in September and play in the NFL, is he willing and able to win from the pocket?"

The clock is ticking for teams to make a decision on if Manziel can be their franchise quarterback. Based on his performance on Thursday it's possible more than one front office now thinks he can.

Jerry Rice: Johnny Manziel reminds me of Steve Young

By Bryan Fischer

Jerry Rice is one of the best receivers of all time and perhaps one of the luckiest.

After all, he won Super Bowls and caught a ton passes from both Joe Montana and Steve Young, who happen to have busts in Canton not too far away from Rice's. He knows a thing or two about quarterbacks and what it takes to throw the ball at a high level in the NFL.

Rice hasn't seen every throw Johnny Manziel can make, but saw enough at Manziel's pro day Thursday to make a rather bold comparison that should interest at least one team at the top of the 2014 NFL Draft.

"He reminds me a little bit of Steve Young because Steve Young, when he first came in, he wanted to run the football," Rice said on NFL Network's "NFL Total Access." "Now, with Johnny Manziel if he can just relax, stay in the pocket, deliver the ball down the field with accuracy and get the ball in the hands of his playmakers, I think it's a no brainer for the Houston Texans to take this guy."

The Texans were among the 30 teams that sent a number of folks to College Station for the workout, including general manager Rick Smith and head coach Bill O'Brien. Houston will also host the quarterback for a private workout at their facility that is all part of the club's evaluation process holding the No. 1 overall pick.

Though Manziel doesn't appear to fit O'Brien's style based on pocket passers he's tutored such as Tom Brady, O'Brien has not closed the door on Manziel just because he likes to run a bit more than the coach would like.

Being able to make throws in the pocket under duress is one of the bigger on-field questions that teams are asking about Manziel, but his off-field notoriety has also been brought up by a few coaches as being just as concerning. That will probably be something else NFL teams will be investigating while they determine if Manziel can be a franchise quarterback.

Rice, however, doesn't seem to think the maturity issues are all that big of an issue for teams to consider.

"I really don't think that's a concern right now," he said. "He likes that spotlight. The guy showed me today that he can drop back, deliver the ball with accuracy and likes that big stage. He proved to everybody that he can be that number one guy.

"He wants perfection, and he's a competitor," Rice said. "That's something you can put money on."

We've heard Manziel be compared to Young before but the high praise Rice heaped upon the young signal-caller certainly counts a little more.

I'm coming around on Manziel. Trying to think through the top few picks in a 2QB league. I could make a case for Manziel at 1.01 in a league like that. He's got a chance to be truly different. If he hits his potential, he could be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL.

I'm coming around on Manziel. Trying to think through the top few picks in a 2QB league. I could make a case for Manziel at 1.01 in a league like that. He's got a chance to be truly different. If he hits his potential, he could be a top 5-10 QB in the NFL.
Good Lord people.

In a 2QB league obviously value is inflated. I'm not saying I would take him but the case could be made. I have the 1.02 pick and the 1.06 and I am going Evans or Watkins but that 1.06 is interesting.

Well, he got me. I am now more interested than I was before. I'm a sucker for panache. The throwing with pads on? Seems dumb to say, but that was a brilliant marketing move.

Dunno, a little X-factor is a good thing in my book - makes you think big things are possible, if not likely.

Users who are viewing this thread