What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (5 Viewers)

Boston said:
Sports radio in Boston is going crazy trying to figure out why the Pats have brought in Manziel and Bridgewater. Options being tossed around range from finding an heir to Brady to doing Bill O'Brien a solid helping him scout these guys.
I think it is simply doing their due diligence for two possible reasons...one, the outside chance one of the two pulls an Aaron Rodgers and slips dramatically and becomes in play for their pick or a slight trade-up...personally I will be BS if they draft a QB early this year regardless of who it is...their main concern should be winning this year not worrying about Brady's successor...the second and more likely reason is they are getting info on them for the future...Brady has somewhere between 3-5 years left and I'm guessing they are doing their homework on guys like this because they could possibly be in-play as an acquisition somewhere down-the-line...at some point Brady is gone and I think they are just collecting as much info as they possibly can to get ready for that day...
:yes:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/reports-manziel-earns-highest-wonderlic-score-among-draft-s-top-qbs-041114?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:FOXSports

Reports: Manziel earns highest Wonderlic score among draft's top QB

Johnny Manziel may have aced his first test in the NFL.

The former Texas A&M quarterback reportedly secured the highest Wonderlic score among this year's top signal callers in the draft. Multiple outlets are reporting that Manziel scored above 30 on the test, which consists of 50 questions that must be answered in 12 minutes.

NFL.com reports former UCF quarterback Blake Bortles scored a 28, and ex-Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater recorded a 20.

Some of the highest Wonderlic scores ever were secured by Ryan Fitzpatrick (48), Benjamin Watson (48), Alex Smith (40) and Matt Leinart (35). One of the lowest scores was reportedly earned by Vince Young, who scored a six out of 50

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/reports-manziel-earns-highest-wonderlic-score-among-draft-s-top-qbs-041114?cmpid=tsmtw:fscom:FOXSports

The former Texas A&M quarterback reportedly secured the highest Wonderlic score among this year's top signal callers in the draft. Multiple outlets are reporting that Manziel scored above 30 on the test, which consists of 50 questions that must be answered in 12 minutes.

NFL.com reports former UCF quarterback Blake Bortles scored a 28, and ex-Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater recorded a 20.

Some of the highest Wonderlic scores ever were secured by Ryan Fitzpatrick (48), Benjamin Watson (48), Alex Smith (40) and Matt Leinart (35). One of the lowest scores was reportedly earned by Vince Young, who scored a six out of 50
Back to the drawing board..

No surprise.

Bucs' Lovie Smith says Johnny Manziel's style can work in NFLBy Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

The importance of drafting former Texas A&M quarterback Johnny Manziel into the right offensive system -- one that can accentuate his athleticism best -- is a drumbeat draft analysts have maintained since the January day the 2012 Heisman Trophy winner announced he was leaving for the NFL.

New Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith could be the right coach, with the right draft pick, and with the right offensive coordinator, to do it. While some NFL coaches might view Russell Wilson's success with the Seattle Seahawks as evidence that the smaller, mobile quarterback has arrived in the NFL, others are holding their verdicts. Smith, however, is moving into the first category, according to tampabay.com.

Manziel caught Smith's eye as the former Bears head coach spent the 2013 season out of football.

"I had time to watch quite a few games, and I had a chance to watch him -- a lot. So you add all that up," Smith said. "As far as how he'll take his game to the NFL level? I think most outstanding players in college, a lot of them, end up being a very good football player in the NFL. Football really is football. I know he's not your typical, prototype quarterback who drops back into the pocket, but there are a lot of quarterbacks doing well in the league that aren't your prototypical quarterback."

The Buccaneers hold the draft's seventh-overall pick. With four clubs picking ahead of the Bucs in need of a quarterback, Manziel might not be available to Smith. But with all four of those clubs reportedly "strongly considering" options other than a quarterback, Manziel could be the right player at the right time for Smith and the Bucs. Offensive coordinator Jeff Tedford knows how to utilize a moving pocket, and could put Manziel in an advantageous position where his athleticism is concerned.

The need, the fit and the timing could all align.

That is, unless the Bucs, who signed Josh McCown in free agency and anointed him the starting quarterback, are one of those teams that might want to wait until a later round to pick a signal-caller.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

Excerpt from Peter King's MMQB:

I think the news nugget of the week—reported by NFL Media’s Albert Breer—was Johnny Manziel scoring a 32 on the Wonderlic test. That’s five points higher than Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson scored once upon a time, and probably goes a way toward confirming that Manziel could digest any offense.
The Wonderlic is obviously no guarantee of success in the NFL; however, all things being equal, I would prefer that a QB drafted by my team scores higher on this test rather than lower.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter believes Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel will go anywhere from No. 3 to No. 13 overall in May's draft.
This suggests that Johnny Football is not in play for the Texans at No. 1 overall. The Jaguars hold the third pick and the Rams have No. 13 (in addition to second overall courtesy of the Redskins). "My sense is the team that picks Manziel will get a push from its owner, with the owner knowing how good Manziel has the chance to be and what a draw he would be at the gate as well," Schefter writes.

Related: Steelers, Jaguars, Rams

Source: ESPN.com

I think the news nugget of the week—reported by NFL Media’s Albert Breer—was Johnny Manziel scoring a 32 on the Wonderlic test. That’s five points higher than Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson scored once upon a time, and probably goes a way toward confirming that Manziel could digest any offense.
The Wonderlic is obviously no guarantee of success in the NFL; however, all things being equal, I would prefer that a QB drafted by my team scores higher on this test rather than lower.
I watched him on Gruden's QB Camp and you can tell he's a smart kid. He has some anger issues but so does Rivers so he just needs to learn how to control himself.

probably so but i also think the difference between 20 and 30 is probably meaningless. maybe the difference between 6 and 30 is but who really knows. vince young scored a 6 and that didn't stop him from being the #3 pick that year.

Last edited by a moderator:

I've done some analysis on this in the past and what I discovered is there is a wonderlic "sweet spot" for QBs. I'll preface this like I do all things predictive with "nothing is absolute and there are always exceptions". That being said, I've found that those who score too high don't pan out while those who score too low don't either. I've found that scores in the mid to upper 20s through low/mid 30s are ideal for QBs. You get much higher than mid 30s, seems like there are few success stories. Not sure if that means anything or just pure chance. My take on my findings is that your QB needs to be smart enough to digest an offense and out-think the defense but not too smart where he over-out-thinks the defense. Again, nothing overly scientific but it's a pattern I've noticed.

I've done some analysis on this in the past and what I discovered is there is a wonderlic "sweet spot" for QBs. I'll preface this like I do all things predictive with "nothing is absolute and there are always exceptions". That being said, I've found that those who score too high don't pan out while those who score too low don't either. I've found that scores in the mid to upper 20s through low/mid 30s are ideal for QBs. You get much higher than mid 30s, seems like there are few success stories. Not sure if that means anything or just pure chance. My take on my findings is that your QB needs to be smart enough to digest an offense and out-think the defense but not too smart where he over-out-thinks the defense. Again, nothing overly scientific but it's a pattern I've noticed.
Without doing an in depth analysis i bet there are few success stories for higher than mid 30's because there are few QB's who scored that high.

Without doing an in depth analysis i bet there are few success stories for higher than mid 30's because there are few QB's who scored that high.
Agree. The only QB who scored high that I can think of off the top of my head is A. Smith. He's done pretty well.

So by "sweet spot" you mean the middle of the curve? Brilliant.

Kliff Kingsbury: Johnny Manziel wants to be greatest ever

By Chase Goodbread

College Football 24/7 writer

Being the best player one can be is all some professional athletes ask of themselves, and indeed, all anyone can ask of them. For Johnny Manziel, according to former Texas A&M offensive coordinator Kliff Kingsbury, the determination goes far beyond that.

"... being around him, he's the most competitive kid I've ever seen. He wants to be great, first and foremost -- he wants to be the best to ever play the game," Kingsbury told KTTX-FM radio in Austin, Texas, Tuesday. "So as an owner or a GM those are inherent traits that you want in one of those top picks."

The 2012 Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback won't get anywhere near that rarified air, however, unless he does something at the NFL level that he hasn't done before: win a championship. In his appearance on "Gruden QB Camp,"

Manziel conceded that his failure to win a championship at either the high school or college level has been a continuing source of his motivation. In two years as a starter at Texas A&M, the Aggies posted an impressive record of 20-6. But the game's greatest quarterbacks on the NFL level are frequently judged on Super Bowl success.

"I'm tired of not winning a championship. I consider myself a winner, and I hate losing," Manziel told Gruden. "Yeah, I've had a decent record, but it's not up to par. It's not up to where I want it to be. It's not acceptable. It doesn't sit well with me."

Whether Manziel can be a winning NFL quarterback can't be known until he hits the field. But if his self-described mentality is accurate, the right mindset is certainly in place.

Follow Chase Goodbread on Twitter @ChaseGoodbread.

I think the news nugget of the weekreported by NFL Medias Albert Breerwas Johnny Manziel scoring a 32 on the Wonderlic test. Thats five points higher than Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson scored once upon a time, and probably goes a way toward confirming that Manziel could digest any offense.
Thanks for your wonderful contribution!Im just explaining what I have noticed. It might have relevance and it might not.

What other cohort do the exceptions fall in the middle? Usually exceptional outliers fall on the edge of the curve. Id say a quality starting QB is definitely an exceptional outlier.

Gotta go 8. Vikings will pull the trigger on him and they'll be rewarded. Manziel is far and away my top rated QB this year.

I think the news nugget of the weekreported by NFL Medias Albert Breerwas Johnny Manziel scoring a 32 on the Wonderlic test. Thats five points higher than Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson scored once upon a time, and probably goes a way toward confirming that Manziel could digest any offense.
Maybe his stated range is the middle of the curve, but do we know that - is the center of that stated range in fact situated smack in the middle of the bell curve (or could it be above average - I know VY definitely brought the average down :) )? Genius.

* Not sure about you, but I've never seen a collation of the data for every QB Wonderlic in draft history, sorted by starters, non-starters, busts, etc.

Maybe his stated range is the middle of the curve, but do we know that - is the center of that stated range in fact situated smack in the middle of the bell curve (or could it be above average - I know VY definitely brought the average down :) )? Genius.

* Not sure about you, but I've never seen a collation of the data for every QB Wonderlic in draft history, sorted by starters, non-starters, busts, etc.
Fair enough. Just find it intuitive (obvious) that most QBs would be "smart enough", and would have a clustering of test scores like any other sampling. And that when you take test scores from either extreme you will find fewer stories of success (because there are fewer stories). :shrug:

Gotta go 8. Vikings will pull the trigger on him and they'll be rewarded. Manziel is far and away my top rated QB this year.
honest questionHow many games do you expect him to play on average a year? I would say 12.
Honest question, how many games did he miss in college due to injury?
zero to my knowledge

How many games did Vick miss in college?

I trust you to already know that the NFL is a wee bit different then college. One doesnt necessarily translate to the other.

I believe with Manziel it wasn't that he missed games but that at the end of the year he was appreciably less effective just because he was beat up.

Yes, the NFL has a much higher skill level. However, I will not ascribe the term "injury prone" to a player who has no history of such just because he plays similarly to someone else who had injury problems.

According to you he is guilty not even before a trial, but before being arrested!

There is so much more to the label injury prone. We don't really understand why some players seem to be more fragile than others. Maybe it's the way there tendons and ligaments are constructed. Maybe Manziel who has never been hurt before is like a piece of iron? Maybe he knows how to avoid the big hit like a matador? I don't see how you can say that a guy who never missed significant time is a red flag in the NFL because of injury risk.

There is so much more to the label injury prone. We don't really understand why some players seem to be more fragile than others. Maybe it's the way there tendons and ligaments are constructed. Maybe Manziel who has never been hurt before is like a piece of iron? Maybe he knows how to avoid the big hit like a matador? I don't see how you can say that a guy who never missed significant time is a red flag in the NFL because of injury risk.
thats easy

Hes 5'11 200 lbs and his game is creating things outside the pocket

I think there is some validity to worrying about Manziel being able to avoid injury in the NFL. Him staying healthy throughout college is pretty meaningless. We've seen lots of guys who were healthy in college that then had problems in the NFL. Conversely, we've seen guys with injury problems in college and stay healthy in the NFL.

The concern is that Manziel plays a style of football that puts himself at more risk than the conventional QB. At least in college he did. He runs around and creates plays with his feet. He plays with a certain reckless abandonment that many love to rave about when he's doing it successfully to create a "wow" play at A&M and earned him the title "Johnny Football." Unfortunately the guys are much bigger, faster and generally nastier in the NFL. On top of that Manziel doesn't have the size of a Cam or Big Ben to as easily take the beating of such bigger/better athletes nor is he as athletic as many would have thought after his combine performance. This doesn't intrinsically mean he will be injury prone in the NFL. It does raise a legitimate concern, though. I think he will have to adapt his game (like any QB) to reduce that "Johnny Football" approach a great deal in order to protect himself. If he is to be the future franchise QB of a team they will encourage him to do so as well. It's also probably not a bad idea because I just don't think it will be very effective in the NFL.

So while it may be a bit misplaced to throw an injury prone label out there. I don't think the overall theme and source for that concern should be ignored, either.

Lance Zierlein is a sports talk host in Houston and had this to say on a recent podcast:

“Lovie Smith and Jason Licht love Johnny Manziel…love love love,” Zierlein said during his weekly podcast. “Lovie was there at his pro day, and he was there for Mike Evans as well, but I know that Lovie Smith loves Johnny Manziel.”

Zierlein, along with the other hosts on the podcast all said that they were surprised by this news, but Zierlein said he believed his source fully.

“I’ve been told that if Manziel makes it to seven, he won’t get past the Tampa Bay Buccaneers,” Zierlein continued. “They think that highly of him.” – Tampa CBS

I had not seen this posted anywhere.

I don't think a player whose style is consistently described as reckless in college and who also stayed healthy who was able to stay heathy throughout college is meaningless. May not mean it will translate in the nfl and also not meaningless. This would be a very different conversation if manziel was hurt a lot in college

I don't think a player whose style is consistently described as reckless in college and who also stayed healthy who was able to stay heathy throughout college is meaningless. May not mean it will translate in the nfl and also not meaningless. This would be a very different conversation if manziel was hurt a lot in college
I think people put about too much stock into whether there was an actual injury in the past.

Injuries are often fairly random events in whether a given hit results in one or not. A fraction of a second difference can cause an injury to happen or not. If we're talking about a degenerative physical situation, that would be a valid thing to call injury prone. I'd add people who won't play through being hurt, as opposed to injured, the label fits for our purpose.

I don't think lack of injury in two 13 game college seasons as a 20ish year old means much here. A team drafting him is looking for a QB that will be playing for them for 10+ years. He'll go through 16 to (they hope) 19 games a season against faster players than what he faced in college. In that time he's going to lose physical ability and flexibility, and he's not going to recover from hits as easily.

In the absence of an existing degenerative condition, I think overwhelmingly the thing to be concerned with is how many hits you think he'll be subjected to. Not whether he made it through 2 college seasons healthy as a younger man than what he'll be down the road for you. A lot of that will be controlled by his style of play and whether you can get it under control if you think it's reckless.

I think people put about too much stock into whether there was an actual injury in the past.

Injuries are often fairly random events in whether a given hit results in one or not. A fraction of a second difference can cause an injury to happen or not. If we're talking about a degenerative physical situation, that would be a valid thing to call injury prone. I'd add people who won't play through being hurt, as opposed to injured, the label fits for our purpose.

I don't think lack of injury in two 13 game college seasons as a 20ish year old means much here. A team drafting him is looking for a QB that will be playing for them for 10+ years. He'll go through 16 to (they hope) 19 games a season against faster players than what he faced in college. In that time he's going to lose physical ability and flexibility, and he's not going to recover from hits as easily.

In the absence of an existing degenerative condition, I think overwhelmingly the thing to be concerned with is how many hits you think he'll be subjected to. Not whether he made it through 2 college seasons healthy as a younger man than what he'll be down the road for you. A lot of that will be controlled by his style of play and whether you can get it under control if you think it's reckless.
These days teams are more likely to be happy getting 4 years of a QB on a cheap contract. Dalton has been good for the Bengals but if he wants $15M they could just let him walk. The same goes for Manziel if he gets hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread