What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (5 Viewers)

Can anyone explain to me how this offseason has gone much differently than last offseason did before he went out and dominated football again?

Can anyone explain to me how this offseason has gone much differently than last offseason did before he went out and dominated football again?
Yeah I can.

He's on my team so now I care if he act the fool because I want him to succeed for selfish reasons.

He's acting like a db which is his peragotive but I don't support assinine immature antics by D-bags who think they are bigger or better than the rest of everyone else because they have, fame, power, celebrity, think they are bad, or are wealthy.

I don't like it because the best and most successful NFL QBs don't consistently act like #######s.

Maybe he can do something with his money other than flash it around trying to seem like a bigshot.

Maybe do something like these people.

Ya know. Something good and positive for humanity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07oOiCW1MNU

Andrew Stein and Dilia Jelen about the Orphaned Starfish Foundation

Gotta re-align your expectations then. This is who he is. He is going to have to fail before he changes too. Expect a rocky first year, some great and some horrendous. I'll expect some changes next offseason if he runs into issues once the games start to be played. Maybe he comes out and takes the NFL by storm anyway. Then he'll just continue to be who he is.

I think it's crazy to imagine how the narrative of other stars would have been rewritten if today's world existed in the 70's and 80's.

Johnny's gonna do what he's gonna do but if you think this act is going to still be playing a few years down the line then you're wrong.

He along with anyone acting like him are going to have to re-align their actions. That young fool act is played by the best and worst of us all but you don't see many at his age with the toxic combination of, athletcism, fame, money, and the 'IT' factor.

We get why he's acting that way.

We also know that act won't last.

I'm going too keep coming round to my main issue with JFF's act. The best NFL QBs don't act this way.

Can't think of any who had his celebrity status coming into the league. Willy-Joe may be the only one approaching JFF but Nammath wasn't just a 1st round pick he was the #1 pick in the draft because he was better coming in.

I honestly don't care about the act. I'm more concerned about any potential issues with alchohol and the fact if no successful NFL QB has acted this way that I don't see a good or positive narrative. Saw lots of character guys take nose-dives though.

Toning it down isn't the worst idea in the world. Ramping it up does so I'm not only not supporting this stuff. I'm all for him doing an Opra-style 180 where he 'gets it' and uses his celebrity for good.

Just my take on his act and hope he can change the tune.

I'm primarily selfishly wanting him to succeed but I'm not playing along with the act just because he's on my team.

I'm going too keep coming round to my main issue with JFF's act. The best NFL QBs don't act this way.

Can't think of any who had his celebrity status coming into the league. Willy-Joe may be the only one approaching JFF but Nammath wasn't just a 1st round pick he was the #1 pick in the draft because he was better coming in.
I hope he's gets it together because he will be a blast to watch but Manziel reminds me of Hollywood Matt Leinart who never figured it out.

I hope he's gets it together because he will be a blast to watch but Manziel reminds me of Hollywood Matt Leinart who never figured it out.
Lienart made considerably more money on his rookie deal too.

I'll honestly be surprised if Manziel sees significant playing time in year one. Kid has a lot of growing up to do, and Hoyer is pretty damned good. Can't wait to see him in the preseason, but something tells me that if he gets smacked around and struggles early he will have a hard time getting his head right.

Second coming of Ryan Leaf if his doesn't get off to a good start.
Saying this is like tattooing "I have never watched Manziel" across your forehead.

Nothing alike in style of play nor temperament/guts/grit. Manziel is a gamer and has shined through 10x the pressure Leaf ever experienced.

Saying this is like tattooing "I have never watched Manziel" across your forehead.

Nothing alike in style of play nor temperament/guts/grit. Manziel is a gamer and has shined through 10x the pressure Leaf ever experienced.
Favre is the best comp I have seen, even though their games couldn't be much different.

I'm not saying the comparison is fair, just that it's being made.

That said I have friend who was a Jets fan and couldn't take it anymore.

He asked me to guess what his new team was and after a couple guesses I remembered he was a big Tebow fan.

My next guess was the Browns - Correct!

-QG

Leaf didn't have his breakdown during a game, it was in the locker room with reporters. I can absolutely see Manziel flipping out if things don't go well. He's a gamer on the field but he's never faced adversity like he will in the NFL.

Leaf didn't have his breakdown during a game, it was in the locker room with reporters. I can absolutely see Manziel flipping out if things don't go well. He's a gamer on the field but he's never faced adversity like he will in the NFL.
On the contrary, I'd Manziel is more prepared than any rookie ever has been to handle the off field pressure and attention. In fact I can't think of a single player in the NFL that has dealt with the amount of scrutiny he has the last 2+ years.

His size is what will eventually bring it to an end... not him folding to any on or off field "adversity".

Last edited by a moderator:

On the contrary, I'd Manziel is more prepared than any rookie ever has been to handle the off field pressure and attention. In fact I can't think of a single player in the NFL that has dealt with the amount of scrutiny he has the last 2+ years.

His size is what will eventually bring it to an end... not him folding to any on or off field "adversity".
He's had scrutiny for his off the field behavior not for his failings on it. I don't think it's a given that he'll handle questions about his ability on the field well when he's received nothing but praise his whole life for his play.

But the thing you miss here is that the pressure and attention off the field was not unwarrented. That was all brought on by himself. Its not like AandM, the media etc was picking on him.

The kid has acted like a spoiled dbag goober for the past 2 years and even falling like a rock in the draft hasnt even humbled him at all. Pretty telling if you ask me.

Since this is a fantasy fb board I will give my fantasy take. Maybe if you are in dynasty he would be worth a pick to hold on to for a couple of years but for in redraft for this year he has no value. Undraftable basically.

But the thing you miss here is that the pressure and attention off the field was not unwarrented. That was all brought on by himself. Its not like AandM, the media etc was picking on him.

The kid has acted like a spoiled dbag goober for the past 2 years and even falling like a rock in the draft hasnt even humbled him at all. Pretty telling if you ask me.

Since this is a fantasy fb board I will give my fantasy take. Maybe if you are in dynasty he would be worth a pick to hold on to for a couple of years but for in redraft for this year he has no value. Undraftable basically.
This is all subjective. "Brought on by himself", your hate of him off the field has never been measured by an ounce of respect for what he has done on the field... his on field brilliance is why the cameras followed him the last 2 years. He has eaten it up and you don't like it. :yes: You say he fell like a rock... to be the second QB at #22 taken by a team trading up to get him. Only someone desperate to hate would use this as a slight.

I haven't seen him do a single thing, that given the opportunity, any other college kid wouldn't have done. To a man his coaches and teammates say he is working harder than most. :shrug: Wish I could have found those pool parties in Vegas when I was in my early 20's, I'd take the front row seats next to superstars right now.

He hasn't asked for any of it, but has responded incredibly well to it. Nobody asks for cameras to follow them everywhere, and I imagine more than a few NFL stars would melt under the microscope he is thriving under.

See the Aaron Rodgers article.

He will have 3-4 years of fantasy relevant stats before a couple hits wear him down.

This is all subjective. "Brought on by himself",
lol of course

nothing to see here move along

Matuski, is there any criticism of Johnny that you would accept? I can't believe you don't see some concerns with him.
I believe my last two posts have indicated I think he will have a short career. Eventually he will take the hit that ends it or turns him into a guy that gets hurt every year when he loses that burst/eyes in the back of his head... ala Vick.

My defense of him off the field must seem unbalanced... but that is because all the hate seems to be directed at him as a person, so I find myself repeatedly pointing out the baseless and petty nature of that hate.

But he rubs his fingers together! :lol:

Matuski, is there any criticism of Johnny that you would accept? I can't believe you don't see some concerns with him.
I believe my last two posts have indicated I think he will have a short career. Eventually he will take the hit that ends it or turns him into a guy that gets hurt every year when he loses that burst... ala Vick.
Nothing about his personality? I agree that a lot of the criticism is overblown, but I also see some warning signs of how public he's been partying even in the first couple months.

I believe my last two posts have indicated I think he will have a short career. Eventually he will take the hit that ends it or turns him into a guy that gets hurt every year when he loses that burst... ala Vick.
Nothing about his personality? I agree that a lot of the criticism is overblown, but I also see some warning signs of how public he's been partying even in the first couple months.
I will stop after this, but it is always interesting when I see people like us insisting on finding fault (off the field no less) where nobody that actually knows does.

His coach is not worried about it, his teammates are not worried about it. He has a list of NFL players (most recently Rodgers) backing him up. I see a vague reference in an espn article to alcohol concerns... for a college kid :lmao:

I will stop after this, but it is always interesting when I see people like us insisting on finding fault (off the field no less) where nobody that actually knows does.

His coach is not worried about it, his teammates are not worried about it. He has a list of NFL players (most recently Rodgers) backing him up. I see a vague reference in an espn article to alcohol concerns... for a college kid :lmao:
Sweet Jesus that Koolaid is mighty sweet.

By vague reference you mean his dad and coaches?

The last qb that I remember that was this public about his partying was Matt Lienart and yeah I guess you are right he turned out to be a fine NFL qb.

If what his father says is true, that Manziel drinks to deal with pressure, then he is not at all prepared; he self medicates. Add to that the fact that he hasn't had to deal with adversity (e.g. injury, serious competition for pt, etc.) and I can see some problems on the horizon...

How can you not be concerned when his own father says things like this:

The sun is brutal, and as the holes pass, Johnny grows more and more upset with his game. Nothing is going right. Putts come up a turn short, or lip out. His distance control is off. A sweat stain covers the back of his shirt, and he curses himself under his breath. He buries his head in his phone. Actually, it's his roommate's phone, since he broke his. He says he dropped it accidentally, although he's broken multiple phones in anger. To calm down, he leans back in the cart and drapes a green towel over his head, hidden and safe. On the fifth hole, he snaps. He flings a wedge through the air. The club helicopters, spinning so fast it hums, bouncing off the nearby cart path. "F---," he says under his breath.

Paul sees the club toss but doesn't say anything. Not yet, not until he calms his own anger and frustration. Johnny needs to grow up or risk losing his future, and every thrown club, or ill-advised tweet, reminds his father how far they have to go. Paul is scared.

"I don't enjoy playing golf with him because I don't want to see that temper," he'll say later. "I honestly do not. I cringe when he wants to play golf. I don't want to do it, but I know I have to do it. Because he still needs love. He still needs guidance. He still needs to see he's wrong -- and how to control his temper. And if I give up on him, who's gonna take over? The school sure the hell isn't gonna do it."
“Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad,” Paul Manziel said. “It’s one night away from the phone ringing, and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”

Manziel’s dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.

“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”

His team mates are asking him to tone it down, and he should. How many respectable humans take selfies of themselves flaunting their money like a fan for social media?

The sun is brutal, and as the holes pass, Johnny grows more and more upset with his game. Nothing is going right. Putts come up a turn short, or lip out. His distance control is off. A sweat stain covers the back of his shirt, and he curses himself under his breath. He buries his head in his phone. Actually, it's his roommate's phone, since he broke his. He says he dropped it accidentally, although he's broken multiple phones in anger. To calm down, he leans back in the cart and drapes a green towel over his head, hidden and safe. On the fifth hole, he snaps. He flings a wedge through the air. The club helicopters, spinning so fast it hums, bouncing off the nearby cart path. "F---," he says under his breath.

Paul sees the club toss but doesn't say anything. Not yet, not until he calms his own anger and frustration. Johnny needs to grow up or risk losing his future, and every thrown club, or ill-advised tweet, reminds his father how far they have to go. Paul is scared.

"I don't enjoy playing golf with him because I don't want to see that temper," he'll say later. "I honestly do not. I cringe when he wants to play golf. I don't want to do it, but I know I have to do it. Because he still needs love. He still needs guidance. He still needs to see he's wrong -- and how to control his temper. And if I give up on him, who's gonna take over? The school sure the hell isn't gonna do it."
“Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad,” Paul Manziel said. “It’s one night away from the phone ringing, and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”

Manziel’s dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.

“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”
Manziel has quite a colorful family background, was a deadspin article that went in great depth. A fortune made in cockfighting and wildcatting. Good read.

Anyhow... until there is even a whisper of it affecting his on field performance, I don't think FFA Joe Shmoe is the right guy to judge.

Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, its gonna be bad. Real bad, Paul Manziel said. Its one night away from the phone ringing, and hes in jail. And you know what hes gonna say? Its better than all the pressure Ive been under. This is better than that.

Manziels dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.

I dont know where the anger comes from, Paul said. I dont think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if hes mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that hes got demons in him. You can only speculate because you cant go in there.
Manziel has quite a colorful family background, was a deadspin article that went in great depth. A fortune made in cockfighting and wildcatting. Good read.

Anyhow... until there is even a whisper of it affecting his on field performance, I don't think FFA Joe Shmoe is the right guy to judge.
This is a fantasy football forum talking about fantasy football prospects, what else is there to do? It's not like the kid is being demonized.

I really dont think you get how being a NFL quarterback works.

False Start said:
How many respectable humans take selfies of themselves flaunting their money like a fan for social media?
Yes, it is very rare for people elite professional athletes to do dumb stuff on social media.
FTFY

Name a top end QB who acts like Manziel does right now. Outside of like... Broadway Joe, which was a completely different period in time. What kind of top level starting QB acts like such a complete child on a nightly basis and gets away with it? A NFL QB should be the face of the franchise and the unquestionable leader of the team. Manziel hasn't even started a game for the team yet and he's already lost the respect of half the locker room. I'm already regretting drafting him in one dynasty league. I'd say there's a greater than 50% chance he goes the way of Justin Blackmon within 2-3 years and becomes a hardcore alcoholic and can't stay on the field because of it.

Was this clown able to get the ball to his receivers on short passes or did he run/chuck it up for Evans the whole time?

False Start said:
How many respectable humans take selfies of themselves flaunting their money like a fan for social media?
Yes, it is very rare for people elite professional athletes to do dumb stuff on social media.
FTFY

Name a top end QB who acts like Manziel does right now. Outside of like... Broadway Joe, which was a completely different period in time. What kind of top level starting QB acts like such a complete child on a nightly basis and gets away with it? A NFL QB should be the face of the franchise and the unquestionable leader of the team. Manziel hasn't even started a game for the team yet and he's already lost the respect of half the locker room. I'm already regretting drafting him in one dynasty league. I'd say there's a greater than 50% chance he goes the way of Justin Blackmon within 2-3 years and becomes a hardcore alcoholic and can't stay on the field because of it.
I think very few young players would stand up very well to the scrutiny that Johnny receives. I think everything with JF is overblown, good and bad.

I'm no apologist, I have no idea if Johnny will fail/succeed, and I think there's a good chance he drinks more than he "should", whatever that level is. But I also think if it turns out that he can play, then a lot of this stuff becomes less important. If JF can play the game, and can put the ball in tight holes, play within an offense, and stay healthy, the partying will become colorful, and not a distraction.

Your idealized version of what a QB should be is kind of silly, frankly. Plenty of Instagram photos of Stafford, Big Ben, and probably countless others at parties, having drinks, etc. Brett Favre: not a couch potato. Liked pills with his beer. If you can play, lots of stuff gets washed away.He's already lost the respect of half the locker room? Why stay stuff that you know, everyone knows, you DON'T know?

False Start said:
FTFY

I think very few young players would stand up very well to the scrutiny that Johnny receives. I think everything with JF is overblown, good and bad.

I'm no apologist, I have no idea if Johnny will fail/succeed, and I think there's a good chance he drinks more than he "should", whatever that level is. But I also think if it turns out that he can play, then a lot of this stuff becomes less important. If JF can play the game, and can put the ball in tight holes, play within an offense, and stay healthy, the partying will become colorful, and not a distraction.

Your idealized version of what a QB should be is kind of silly, frankly. Plenty of Instagram photos of Stafford, Big Ben, and probably countless others at parties, having drinks, etc. Brett Favre: not a couch potato. Liked pills with his beer. If you can play, lots of stuff gets washed away.He's already lost the respect of half the locker room? Why stay stuff that you know, everyone knows, you DON'T know?
How can you say that with what we're seeing with Josh Gordon and Justin Blackmon right now? Both of them can straight out ball, I mean... could be two of the Top 3 WRs in this league if they weren't in so much trouble with the leagues substance policy. Neither of them have turned their issues into "colorful partying without distraction". It's not like Gordon ever showed up to a team meeting or game high. And too my knowledge (I could be wrong) neither has Blackmon. Both of them have off the field substance issues and the league has stepped in and put a foot on their throat. Goodell is all about protecting the shield these days. He will not hesitate to suspend JFF for alcohol abuse, it doesn't matter if he throws for 60 TDs and 5500 yards in his rookie season. If he's an alcoholic then it'll be a problem and he will be suspended.

What's the big difference between Johnny, and those two boneheads? He doesn't have legal issues. Goodell can't suspend anyone for alcohol abuse.

No one is getting suspended, tested, put into a program for drinking. Once they drive drunk, and people start harrumphing and clucking their tongues disapprovingly, the league MAY get involved.

NFL players are young, with a lot of cash. A LOT of them are getting hammered regularly, the rest of them just don't have camera phones pointed at them all the time, like JF does.

Cue 'Sweet Georgia Brown'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq79iVVwJ1A

Harlem Globetrotters Theme song

Johnny Manziel just got drafted by his third pro team.

None other than the world famous Harlem Globetrotters.

Cool beans. :thumbup:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/06/johnny-manziel-harlem-globetrotters

... The Cleveland Browns picked him in the first round of the NFL draft (No. 22 overall). The Padres picked him this month in the 28th round of the baseball draft (837th overall). He is one of seven draftees announced by the Globetrotters.

“We like to think outside the box with our draft, so we look at all different kinds of athletes that could have the qualities of a Harlem Globetrotter,” says Dunbar.

Also drafted by the Globetrotters:

What's the big difference between Johnny, and those two boneheads? He doesn't have legal issues. Goodell can't suspend anyone for alcohol abuse.

No one is getting suspended, tested, put into a program for drinking. Once they drive drunk, and people start harrumphing and clucking their tongues disapprovingly, the league MAY get involved.

NFL players are young, with a lot of cash. A LOT of them are getting hammered regularly, the rest of them just don't have camera phones pointed at them all the time, like JF does.
Gordon had only 1 arrest on his record and it was over 4 years ago now. He was driving with marijuana in the car. All of his NFL substance program issues have been the NFL laying down the law. None of it has been arrest related. As for Blackmon I believe he has 2 DUI's on his record, one of which came as a rookie in the NFL, the other in college.

Between the two of them there's 1 arrest since they both entered the league, yet they're both (Blackmon definitely, Gordon likely) facing an indefinite suspension from the league due to their addictions. JFF would be no different, you don't have to be consistently arrested in order to get in trouble in Goodell's NFL.

As for JFF's 'legal record'?

He was arrested in June 2012 for getting into a fight in a bar. If he's not Johnny Football this probably is an aggravated assault charge. Instead he was allow to plead guilty, pay $232 in court costs and spend two days in jail. On that same night he also received two other misdemeanor charges for a fake drivers license (cause he wasn't of the age to drink) and disorderly conduct that were thrown out by the court.

So JFF has just as much legal trouble coming into the NFL as Gordon and Blackmon did. Maybe you can find another excuse for why he won't fall into the same dungeon that they have.

Users who are viewing this thread