What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (3 Viewers)

Lol its his teammates and the owner
direct quotes please
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362142/article/terrance-west-johnny-manziel-questions-distractinghttp://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-browns-owner-concerned-manziels-163812405--nfl.html

That's about 10 seconds worth of searching. Not saying I agree or disagree. But it isn't like it isn't being said in public.
terrance is tired of the media.No direct quotes in the other.

Click whoring. And it's working.

Just like last year.
He's tired of the distraction caused by Manziel's antics. I thought that is what you were referring too?

direct quotes please
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362142/article/terrance-west-johnny-manziel-questions-distracting http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-browns-owner-concerned-manziels-163812405--nfl.html That's about 10 seconds worth of searching. Not saying I agree or disagree. But it isn't like it isn't being said in public.
terrance is tired of the media.No direct quotes in the other.Click whoring. And it's working.Just like last year.
He's tired of the distraction caused by Manziel's antics. I thought that is what you were referring too?
he is tired of the media asking him about it. As is everyone else. It's all about the media. They don't ask, nobody cares. They ask because click click click.

direct quotes please
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000362142/article/terrance-west-johnny-manziel-questions-distracting http://sports.yahoo.com/news/report-browns-owner-concerned-manziels-163812405--nfl.html That's about 10 seconds worth of searching. Not saying I agree or disagree. But it isn't like it isn't being said in public.
terrance is tired of the media.No direct quotes in the other.Click whoring. And it's working.Just like last year.
he is tired of the media asking him about it. As is everyone else. It's all about the media. They don't ask, nobody cares. They ask because click click click.
His own father and the coaching staff has asked him to tone it down. Both of these have been public and quoted. Stop being so rude and ignorant about things that are clearly happening.

They have? Since he got the pros? Links to direct quotes please. Or is it just media spin to fit the same narrative they built up last year?

When he sexually assaults a college girl in a Georgia bar or drags his unconscious wife out of an elevator I'll raise an eye brow. Until then, you're just feeding the tmz beast. Congrats.

i don't recall seeing drunk videos of Andrew Luck when he was a rookie.

but i don't think he'll fail primarily because of the booze.

i will say though that it won't help.

pretending otherwise seems odd to me.
never said it would help. All I'm saying is expecting anything different than what he has always done would be silly. Over reacting to it is even more so. If the issues carry into the season then there may be a story. Now? Not at all.

never said it would help. All I'm saying is expecting anything different than what he has always done would be silly. Over reacting to it is even more so. If the issues carry into the season then there may be a story. Now? Not at all.
there in lies one if the major differences. He is a pro, now. Not when the season starts. This isn't college anymore and he actual has a play book to learn, among a ton of other things. Maybe he's doing that while he parties and carries on like he's still on spring break. I don't know. Either way, I'd think he should be buried in the play book and making less noise.

i agree to an extent. but i'd be less concerned if i also heard quotes from his coaches about the fact that he's working his butt off when he's not partying and has a good grasp of the playbook.

which maybe he does, and like you said, those stories aren't "clickable."

but if i'm the Browns and those things were true, i'd have MKC run a story every other day about it. i don't understand why they haven't done that?

there in lies one if the major differences. He is a pro, now. Not when the season starts. This isn't college anymore and he actual has a play book to learn, among a ton of other things. Maybe he's doing that while he parties and carries on like he's still on spring break. I don't know. Either way, I'd think he should be buried in the play book and making less noise.
because every other player in the league spends every waking minute of this six week break with their head buried in a book.

i agree to an extent. but i'd be less concerned if i also heard quotes from his coaches about the fact that he's working his butt off when he's not partying and has a good grasp of the playbook.

but if i'm the Browns and those things were true, i'd have MKC run a story every other day about it. i don't understand why they haven't done that?
plenty of time for some fluff to artificially inflate expectations between now and September.And that will mean as much as he stuff being printed now.

Nothing.

plenty of time for some fluff to artificially inflate expectations between now and September.And that will mean as much as he stuff being printed now.

Nothing.
again, i do agree to an extent. just asking the question as to why they're not doing a bit of damage control (for lack of a better word) now?

because every other player in the league spends every waking minute of this six week break with their head buried in a book.
How many players in the league have never had a play book in their life?

I assume QB's expecting to be starters this season are doing that.

youre trying to spin this into a different argument, another one you can't make either. Because neither you nor I have any clue how much time he or my one else is spending studying the play book. He could be spending six days a week grinding and one day partying. Others could be spending every day doing everything but getting ready for the season. Yet no one knows about it. Because they don't get clicks.This will all sort itself out when actual stuff is happening and bspn doesn't have to make up stories when nothing is happening in June.

I assume QB's expecting to be starters this season are doing that.
Tom Brady spent a whole day at The Derby. OH NO. He cares more about horses, poor fashion, and cocktails than football! We are doomed!

Last edited by a moderator:

youre trying to spin this into a different argument, another one you can't make either. Because neither you nor I have any clue how much time he or my one else is spending studying the play book. He could be spending six days a week grinding and one day partying. Others could be spending every day doing everything but getting ready for the season. Yet no one knows about it. Because they don't get clicks.This will all sort itself out when actual stuff is happening and bspn doesn't have to make up stories when nothing is happening in June.
I'm not spinning anything. I clearly stated in my post..."Maybe he's doing that while he parties and carries on like he's still on spring break. I don't know."

You seem intent in burying your head in the sand to any and all criticism about the guy and seem more of the spin doctor here.

i don't think comparing Brady to Manziel is helping to make your point.

but i do agree, it will become obvious if he's put the work in come camp and pre-season.

When he does something that actually warrants a reaction I will too. This is nothing. This is the media. Show up hungover to training camp and be forced to sit out. That's a problem. Goofing off with your buddies on your time not impacting your performance. No story.

i don't think comparing Brady to Manziel is helping to make your point.

but i do agree, it will become obvious if he's put the work in come camp and pre-season.
you can draw the line in several different directions. Pick your story. You can create one. But it's just that, a creation.

Completely overdone story.

No has an ounce of idea how much time Manziel is putting into preparation.

Gronk spends a majority of his summer partying in Vegas. Manziel spends a weekend, maybe even a night for all I know, partying with Gronk in Vegas and suddenly he's not properly preparing?

For all we know Peyton Manning might have more drain on his time with all his endorsement opportunities than Manziel does parting. I've zero doubt if Manziel hosted SNL he'd be getting roasted for not spending time on prep and/or not making "clearly" not making football his top priority.

During the course of MKC's almost daily hatchet job on Manziel the only person it's made me think less of is her.

I absolutely love Manziel's responses to this over the past few days. For that matter it's been reported that in interviews and inside the Browns headquarters he consistently handles himself in a completely professional manner.

now he's been compared to Peyton Manning?

he has a lot to prove, and he needs to put in a lot of work before being compared to the likes of Brady and Manning.

and Gronk? a guy playing TE in the same system for the last four years? yeah, i personally don't expect the same level of preparation from the two of them.

also i find it curious that around Cleveland MKC is generally considered a puppet of the Browns organization, yet she's performing a "daily hatchet job" on their first round QB?

something's not adding up here.

he has a lot to prove, and he needs to put in a lot of work before being compared to the likes of Brady and Manning.

and Gronk? a guy playing TE in the same system for the last four years? yeah, i personally don't expect the same level of preparation from the two of them.
Wow, you always twist peoples words around this much?

He's no different than every other rookie who ever entered the league. They all have a lot to prove.

And Gronk was good as a rookie and at a position that some feel is the hardest in the league to adapt all the while partying and having a good time.

As for MKC's hatchet job not adding up it's not that complicated.

He's no different than every other rookie who ever entered the league. They all have a lot to prove.

And Gronk was good as a rookie and at a position that some feel is the hardest in the league to adapt all the while partying and having a good time.

you brought up Manning. a guy that can afford to take a few days off at this point in his career. Gronk is in his 5th year, so i'm not sure why you're comparing him to a rookie.

and yes, please explain to me why the mouthpiece of the Browns is supposedly trashing their first round QB.

Soulfly - Gordon. Mac - Manziel. I don't remember Browns fans ever being quite so rabid on this board. It's just... odd.
I'm not pro Manziel, never have been, pro Bridgewater? Oh, yes. Manziel? I'm firmly on the fence. I don't know if his style of play can translate. If it does he is going to be a special player though. The ultimate risk/reward. I have a big problem with people picking these battles though. OH MY GOD HE IS OUT ACTING UP HE IS NOT STUDYING, BUST! It amazes me that people still eat this #### the media spoon feeds them, but, here we are.

you brought up Manning. a guy that can afford to take a few days off at this point in his career. Gronk is in his 5th year, so i'm not sure why you're comparing him to a rookie.

and yes, please explain to me why the mouthpiece of the Browns is supposedly trashing their first round QB.
plain dealer needs all the clicks they can get. Gotta keep up with crotchety Grossi too.

Gronk spends a majority of his summer partying in Vegas. Manziel spends a weekend, maybe even a night for all I know, partying with Gronk in Vegas and suddenly he's not properly preparing?
let's back up a minute.

you compared Manziel to Gronk THIS summer.

surely you can see the difference in their circumstances?

you brought up Manning. a guy that can afford to take a few days off at this point in his career.Gronk is in his 5th year, so i'm not sure why you're comparing him to a rookie.

I brought up Manning is not the same as comparing the two. Vastly different. There was a point that sailed past your head. That point was we don't really know how much work any player is putting when the camera's are not around but to many people allow the media to shape their view.s

Your tried to dismiss Gronk's parting in Vegas as being a detriment by saying he was in his 4th season. He was good as soon as he was healthy his rookie season. So was Hernandez for that matter and no telling what he spent his rookie off-season doing but to you I guess it does not matter anyway, right? Going off of what you wrote I'm not even sure why NFL teams give playbooks out to anyone other than QB's.

As for MKC. What do you think the Browns prefer? Pictures of Manziel partying or on his money phone or a quiet out of the limelight off-season? All that being said I'm not the one who said she was the mouthpiece of the team, she might just be a reporter desperate for clicks. But if the Browns did want to try and control JFF they can't really tell him what to do, so it would make some kind of sense to put public pressure on JFF to change his ways.

plain dealer needs all the clicks they can get. Gotta keep up with crotchety Grossi too.
i thought the narrative was that she was the Browns mouthpiece, no?whose agenda is she pushing? the Browns or the Plain Dealer's?

i thought the narrative was that she was the Browns mouthpiece, no?whose agenda is she pushing? the Browns or the Plain Dealer's?
gotta balance, now is the right time to lean pd since everyone is looking for something negative with Manziel, confirmation bias is a fun animal. she will go back to the puppet act to make them happy soon enough.

Funny that all of these nfl players have drug and legal problems, some serious, yet all anyone wants to talk about is this guy. Until he does something to damage the team stop looking for something that isn't there.

Perspective.

gotta balance, now is the right time to lean pd since everyone is looking for something negative with Manziel, confirmation bias is a fun animal. she will go back to the puppet act to make them happy soon enough.
fair enough, i suppose. my interpretation is that they are wearing a bit thin and she is acting as a bit of a middleman, as it were.

i could admittedly be wrong on that though. sometimes these situations are very nebulous.

let's back up a minute.

let's back up a minute.

let's back up a minute.

Are you that thick? I said Manziel spent a weekend, maybe a NIGHT with Gronk. That NIGHT or weekend resulted in Manziel being accused of not taking football seriously when Gronk does this all the time. That's the comp between the two I made and if you don't get that I can't really help or feel compelled to waste any more time explaining it to you.

fair enough, i suppose. my interpretation is that they are wearing a bit thin and she is acting as a bit of a middleman, as it were.

i could admittedly be wrong on that though. sometimes these situations are very nebulous.
until someone comes out and says it's a problem it isn't a problem. No one has. Players have #####ed about the media constantly asking them. That's it. The rest is from bs anonymous sources. Ones that didn't begin to magically start appearing til he got to town. Things were under lock and key with these guys up to that point. No one could extract any info. Now all of a sudden all of these leaks are opening? I don't buy it.

you brought up Manning. a guy that can afford to take a few days off at this point in his career.Gronk is in his 5th year, so i'm not sure why you're comparing him to a rookie.

As far as I know you are the one that created that narrative and then went on to say you don't understand your own narrative you created.

I brought up Manning is not the same as comparing the two. Vastly different. There was a point that sailed past your head. That point was we don't really know how much work any player is putting when the camera's are not around but to many people allow the media to shape their view.s

Your tried to dismiss Gronk's parting in Vegas as being a detriment by saying he was in his 4th season. He was good as soon as he was healthy his rookie season. So was Hernandez for that matter and no telling what he spent his rookie off-season doing but to you I guess it does not matter anyway, right? Going off of what you wrote I'm not even sure why NFL teams give playbooks out to anyone other than QB's.

As for MKC. What do you think the Browns prefer? Pictures of Manziel partying or on his money phone or a quiet out of the limelight off-season? All that being said I'm not the one who said she was the mouthpiece of the team, she might just be a reporter desperate for clicks. But if the Browns did want to try and control JFF they can't really tell him what to do, so it would make some kind of sense to put public pressure on JFF to change his ways.
if you go back and read the last page of this thread you may find where i stated that we won't know how much work he's put in till training camp. and you absolutely made a comparison between Manziel and Manning. the context was their preparation and their leisure activities.

regarding MKC, if you are not privy to her biases, maybe don't use her to make your point.

As far as I know you are the one that created that narrative and then went on to say you don't understand your own narrative you created.
maybe check in to the Browns thread every once in a while. it has been well discussed.

let's back up a minute.you compared Manziel to Gronk THIS summer.

Are you that thick? I said Manziel spent a weekend, maybe a NIGHT with Gronk. That NIGHT or weekend resulted in Manziel being accused of not taking football seriously when Gronk does this all the time. That's the comp between the two I made and if you don't get that I can't really help or feel compelled to waste any more time explaining it to you.
and Gronk is an established NFL TE. Manziel has yet to establish himself as an NFL QB.

surely you can see the difference?

amnesiac said:

until someone comes out and says it's a problem it isn't a problem. No one has. Players have #####ed about the media constantly asking them. That's it. The rest is from bs anonymous sources. Ones that didn't begin to magically start appearing til he got to town. Things were under lock and key with these guys up to that point. No one could extract any info. Now all of a sudden all of these leaks are opening? I don't buy it.
to be fair, i'm not sure why these sources would've showed up before he got to town?
internal? They've been there since February, or sooner. The only info that got out between then and Manziel were what agents were leaking about their own guys signing there. The browns made no bones about liking Manziel, but no one knew how much. No one had any idea what they were going to do in the draft, just that they would select a qb at some point. No one knew about the Gordon thing til it blew up draft night. Info does not get out of that building anymore. Then Manziel gets there and all of a sudden there are leaks? It does not add up. There could be people internally that do not like what is going on and to them I say you had to know this is what you were getting yourself into. If you didn't then you need to find a different job because you did not do your homework. Just to pretend that it may bea. Problem at the end of the day, if he shows up and performs none of this matters, just like last year. You don't need to get along with a coworker in order to function, you don't need to like what they do. If they show up and do what they are supposed to do then all is well in everyone's world.

Soulfly - Gordon. Mac - Manziel. I don't remember Browns fans ever being quite so rabid on this board. It's just... odd.
I'm not pro Manziel, never have been, pro Bridgewater? Oh, yes. Manziel? I'm firmly on the fence. I don't know if his style of play can translate. If it does he is going to be a special player though. The ultimate risk/reward. I have a big problem with people picking these battles though. OH MY GOD HE IS OUT ACTING UP HE IS NOT STUDYING, BUST! It amazes me that people still eat this #### the media spoon feeds them, but, here we are.
I just don't think you are very bright.

maybe I should study my play book more.

Would have much preferred Bridgewater too. I wasn't thrilled with the Manziel pick. His attitude, and the distraction he has brought to the team, have done nothing to make me feel differently. I hope he can prove me wrong later as I'm tired of the Browns, well, sucking. But I've seen nothing so far to make me believe he's gone to bear down and put in the effort required to be a successful NFL QB. He seems much more interested in "being him" than being a QB.

No, you've got your playbook down pat.

fair enough, i suppose.my interpretation is that they are wearing a bit thin and she is acting as a bit of a middleman, as it were.

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported on SportsCenter Friday that the Browns have approached Johnny Manziel about "toning it down," with regard to his actions on social media.
Owner Jimmy Haslam was "bothered" by Manziel's recent posting of a "Money Phone" (stack of bills held to the ear) on Instagram. The Browns seem more concerned with Manziel's social media behavior than his well-publicized weekend partying. Approached by the Cleveland Plain Dealer Friday morning, Manziel told the paper "I don't think I'm doing anything wrong," and "I'm not going to change for anybody." Earlier this month, Ben Tate described media coverage of Manziel as "annoying," hinting it may be a distraction in the locker room. ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi stated Friday that he's never seen Manziel-like behavior from a Browns player. Grossi has been covering the Browns for 30 years. Jun 27 - 3:06 PM
First of all, Chris Mortensen isn't some "bs anonymous source" he's one of the more respected journalists in the business.

Second, while this isn't exactly about his partying and Rotoworld obviously put their random spin of "The Browns seem more concerned with Manziel's social media behavior than his well-publized weekend partying" which can't be trusted either it's just Rotoworld making something up. Just because we got a report of the Browns mad about his social media doesn't mean they're not mad about his consistent partying.

Third and the real kicker to me is this... Manziel was told by his coaches, GM and owner to quit it and instead he goes out to the media and says "I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, I'm not going to change for anybody". That is not the attitude he can afford to have. If he just continues to act the way he has and gives the proverbial middle finger to his coaches, teammates and ownership, he can kiss his chances of seeing any on the field time goodbye. Doesn't matter how good he is, he's a snobby brat who has had everything handed to him his entire life. He'll learn real quick that his options are either change or give up.

Bronco Billy said:
MAC_32 said:
pantherclub said:
menobrown said:
amnesiac said:

MAC_32 said:
TxBuckeye said:
No, you've got your playbook down pat.
ok, great.Now someone go get me a bottle of champagne and a swan.

Users who are viewing this thread