What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (9 Viewers)

At least he's got Chris Johnson's support:

(KFFL)New York Jets RB Chris Johnson supported Cleveland Browns QB Johnny Manziel, saying he should be his own man when it comes to off the field activities. "Be your own man," Johnson said. "Do what you got to do. It's the offseason. That's when you get time to do whatever you want to do and live your life. I'm pretty sure once the season gets here, he'll be all right. He's going to focus in on football. But this is the time now to where he'll be able to hang out and do some of the things you want to do. Because once the season gets here, you really have no life. It's just football and football."

(Web Site Link)

There's a picture floating around of Manziel rolling up a dollar bill in the bathroom like he's getting ready to snort some coke. Just thought I'd share.

There's a picture floating around of Manziel rolling up a dollar bill in the bathroom like he's getting ready to snort some coke. Just thought I'd share.
https://twitter.com/mressnathans/status/485985981300867072/photo/1

[SIZE=1pt]John Middlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@JohnMiddlekauff [/SIZE]· [SIZE=10pt]7h [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I'll say this - in my 29 years of life I've only seen bill rolling for 1 reason & it's safe to say it's been a long time[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1pt]John Middlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@JohnMiddlekauff [/SIZE]· [SIZE=10pt]6h [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1 more thing: if you are rolling dollar bills in Vegas & you are not at a gentleman's club there's only one possible answer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1pt]Arif Hasanhttps://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFLhttps://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@ArifHasanNFL [/SIZE]· [SIZE=10pt]9h [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Three possibilities: 1. He's trolling 2. He's snorting 3. Some unknown innocent reason to roll up bills All of them = bad friends.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1pt]Arif Hasanhttps://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFLhttps://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@ArifHasanNFL [/SIZE]· [SIZE=10pt]9h [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If he's trolling, there's still one unequivocal truth: he has bad friends (both enabling him and taking pictures)[/SIZE]

https://twitter.com/mressnathans/status/485985981300867072/photo/1

[SIZE=1pt]John Middlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@JohnMiddlekauff [/SIZE]· [SIZE=10pt]7h [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]I'll say this - in my 29 years of life I've only seen bill rolling for 1 reason & it's safe to say it's been a long time[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1pt]John Middlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauffhttps://twitter.com/JohnMiddlekauff[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]@JohnMiddlekauff [/SIZE]· [SIZE=10pt]6h [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1 more thing: if you are rolling dollar bills in Vegas & you are not at a gentleman's club there's only one possible answer[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Three possibilities: 1. He's trolling 2. He's snorting 3. Some unknown innocent reason to roll up bills All of them = bad friends.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]If he's trolling, there's still one unequivocal truth: he has bad friends (both enabling him and taking pictures)[/SIZE]
lol

cstu said:
At least he's got Chris Johnson's support:

(KFFL)New York Jets RB Chris Johnson supported Cleveland Browns QB Johnny Manziel, saying he should be his own man when it comes to off the field activities. "Be your own man," Johnson said. "Do what you got to do. It's the offseason. That's when you get time to do whatever you want to do and live your life. I'm pretty sure once the season gets here, he'll be all right. He's going to focus in on football. But this is the time now to where he'll be able to hang out and do some of the things you want to do. Because once the season gets here, you really have no life. It's just football and football."

(Web Site Link)
Yes. Johnny Football should listen to advice on work ethic from Chris Johnson. Perfect.

It doesnt appear that anyone is angry that he is taking pics with stars but he's choosing to do that over working with his teamates. IMO it wouldnt matter if he's taking a selfie with me, its that he's doing it and not working and doesnt seem to see anything wrong with what he's doing. Going out and parting is fine but they seem to find him doing something like this almost weekly for a while now. At least that's how it seems anyway.
It's the narrative the media is pushing and they have you hooked, perception = reality. Is it? We'll find out in a month.

They're taking a few pictures and videos and twisting it into their own story because they don't have anything else that will get ratings to talk about right now.

Is he working? how much? how hard? is he partying every day? once per week? is he sloshed every time a picture gets taken of him?

You, I, and 99.9% of the people talking about it have no idea. The bashing is predictable and hilarious though. Unlike the senseless Bridgewater bashing that led up to the draft, that was just maddening. Funny how that has all stopped though. Media stopped getting clicks saying the same thing over and over again, so - no longer a story.
dont ever quit guy
If he shows up to camp and starts puking everywhere because he was up all night chugging champagne you have a leg to stand on.

Until then you're just feeding the ESPN beast.
Isn't it Johnny who is feeding the ESPN beast by doing all his partying publicly?

It's not the partying that concerns me about Manziel. It is the total lack of maturity he is displaying. That lack of maturity, in my opinion, will result in an average to below average QB despite his physical talents.

But, yes, you are right, this is all speculation until we actually see the product Manziel produces on the field.

It doesnt appear that anyone is angry that he is taking pics with stars but he's choosing to do that over working with his teamates. IMO it wouldnt matter if he's taking a selfie with me, its that he's doing it and not working and doesnt seem to see anything wrong with what he's doing. Going out and parting is fine but they seem to find him doing something like this almost weekly for a while now. At least that's how it seems anyway.
It's the narrative the media is pushing and they have you hooked, perception = reality. Is it? We'll find out in a month.

They're taking a few pictures and videos and twisting it into their own story because they don't have anything else that will get ratings to talk about right now.

Is he working? how much? how hard? is he partying every day? once per week? is he sloshed every time a picture gets taken of him?

You, I, and 99.9% of the people talking about it have no idea. The bashing is predictable and hilarious though. Unlike the senseless Bridgewater bashing that led up to the draft, that was just maddening. Funny how that has all stopped though. Media stopped getting clicks saying the same thing over and over again, so - no longer a story.
dont ever quit guy
If he shows up to camp and starts puking everywhere because he was up all night chugging champagne you have a leg to stand on.

Isn't it Johnny who is feeding the ESPN beast by doing all his partying publicly?

It's not the partying that concerns me about Manziel. It is the total lack of maturity he is displaying. That lack of maturity, in my opinion, will result in an average to below average QB despite his physical talents.

But, yes, you are right, this is all speculation until we actually see the product Manziel produces on the field.

dont ever quit guy

To the best of my knowledge, Manziel isn't calling press conferences to announce that he's heading to Vegas, inviting reporters to join him, or otherwise courting the media.

Johnny is partying publicly no more than any other player, there is just increased media attention and interest on him. AFAIK, he's not feeding this himself.

It's at the point where if Johnny is photographed in public, it's a lack of maturity. And now, it's Johnny's fault that every time someone takes a photo of him, everyone on Twitter is going to re-Tweet it?

I don't mean this personally to only you, but it's embarrassing what sheep people are when it comes to media. Johnny gets a pic taken at a pool in Vegas, and people are wondering why he's not studying his playbook. :lol: More people should be condemning ESPN and every jerky on Twitter for breathlessly covering every Manziel photo as if he's in the middle of a bender. Man, think for yourself.

Fact is: you. don't. have. a. clue. Neither do I. You have no idea how much prep time Manziel is putting in, how well he knows the playbook, how mature he is being. You don't have a freaking clue.

If I had to guess, don't think Manziel will succeed. But I don't think it'll be because of alcohol, or partying. I think it'll be because he can't play within the framework of an offense, and likes to freelance too much, or maybe because his accuracy isn't NFL caliber, or because it's such a classic American reaction he can't see over his O-line, or because he's too skinny, and gets dinged. I think it'll be because of football reasons.

NFL players, rookies and vets, get after it. They party. They drink. They smoke weed, and do coke. They abuse painkillers. Successful players do these things.

It's such a classic reaction to American celebrity: Build them up to tear them down. Quit being such sheep, such suckers.

Guy has a point:

harveyredman says: Jul 7, 2014 9:34 AM

That is an UGLY photo. Not much good comes from rolling bills like that…

Here’s a fun game: Just close your eyes and imagine Johnny isn’t from a wealthy oil family in Texas, but a dirt poor family in a ghetto and, is – black.

Play that game and try and defend him.

Johnny is showing us how the wealthy and entitled are subject to a different set of rules. And then throw in Caucasian, and he gets even more leeway…

When was the last time a black player was allowed to go this “outside” the lines?

Guy has a point:

harveyredman says: Jul 7, 2014 9:34 AM

That is an UGLY photo. Not much good comes from rolling bills like that…

Here’s a fun game: Just close your eyes and imagine Johnny isn’t from a wealthy oil family in Texas, but a dirt poor family in a ghetto and, is – black.

Play that game and try and defend him.

Johnny is showing us how the wealthy and entitled are subject to a different set of rules. And then throw in Caucasian, and he gets even more leeway…

When was the last time a black player was allowed to go this “outside” the lines?
Not really.

This is about to be a big story.
Raises the question of why the person would take the picture in the first place. It wasn't because they thought JM was doing something innocuous. Probably also their only chance at a shot while he was looking down.

I have also heard (this may have been on the NFLN by a player actually) that coke is more difficult to test for than pot, is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Raises the question of why the person would take the picture in the first place. It wasn't because they thought JM was doing something innocuous. Probably also their only chance at a shot while he was looking down.

I have also heard (this may have been on the NFLN by a player actually) that coke is more difficult to test for than pot, is that true?
Not more difficult, but gets out of the urine faster. Urine tests are easy to beat, period.

They don't really want to catch anyone, that's why they test once in the summer, and everyone knows when. That's why when players are caught, you know they are just incredibly stupid

They only test during a two month period in the spring, and the NFL still catches some of the bozos taking drugs despite knowing it's the testing season. From there, I believe they only randomly test previous offenders. A guy that is clean will only be bothered with drug tests 10 months out of the year.

Coke leaves the body's system much faster than most drugs, so yes it's more difficult to test for. Not necessarily difficult I suppose. Just more time sensitive. I read somewhere that JM just had his 1 mandated drug test in April and this us wouldn't be eligible for another test until April of 15'. That is of course unless somebody sees this pic and deems it enough "probable cause" to test him sooner.

He's not really going around with a 'HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT ME' sign.

The pic from this weekend is the first time I've raised an eye brow.
The mega-sized champaigne bottle on the floating swan didn't make your eyebrow tick? wow.
If that's a problem to you then you have a problem with most of the players on your team.

I think this is an interesting item from the PFT comments:

he’s actually recurling it. Look at the bottom of the dollar bill you can tell it’s already been rolled up and used. He’s on at least his second line
Or one of his two friends in the picture had just used it and passed it to him. They probably didn’t have any tape to keep it tight.

The mega-sized champaigne bottle on the floating swan didn't make your eyebrow tick? wow.
If that's a problem to you then you have a problem with most of the players on your team.
My team (Oakland) happens to be a bunch of choir boy, Bible thumpers, but nice try.

But there are a ton of teams you could say have characters like JFF though. Of course, guys like that have to earn the moniker "character". Like the old saying, coffee is for closers. Playoff teams have "characters". 4-12 teams have "trouble makers" and "malcontents" Seriously if you don't have a problem with JFF's entire offseason since he's been drafted, you aren't very self-aware.

To the best of my knowledge, Manziel isn't calling press conferences to announce that he's heading to Vegas, inviting reporters to join him, or otherwise courting the media.

Johnny is partying publicly no more than any other player, there is just increased media attention and interest on him. AFAIK, he's not feeding this himself.

It's at the point where if Johnny is photographed in public, it's a lack of maturity. And now, it's Johnny's fault that every time someone takes a photo of him, everyone on Twitter is going to re-Tweet it?

I don't mean this personally to only you, but it's embarrassing what sheep people are when it comes to media. Johnny gets a pic taken at a pool in Vegas, and people are wondering why he's not studying his playbook. :lol: More people should be condemning ESPN and every jerky on Twitter for breathlessly covering every Manziel photo as if he's in the middle of a bender. Man, think for yourself.

Fact is: you. don't. have. a. clue. Neither do I. You have no idea how much prep time Manziel is putting in, how well he knows the playbook, how mature he is being. You don't have a freaking clue.

If I had to guess, don't think Manziel will succeed. But I don't think it'll be because of alcohol, or partying. I think it'll be because he can't play within the framework of an offense, and likes to freelance too much, or maybe because his accuracy isn't NFL caliber, or because it's such a classic American reaction he can't see over his O-line, or because he's too skinny, and gets dinged. I think it'll be because of football reasons.

NFL players, rookies and vets, get after it. They party. They drink. They smoke weed, and do coke. They abuse painkillers. Successful players do these things.

It's such a classic reaction to American celebrity: Build them up to tear them down. Quit being such sheep, such suckers.
Wow, I think that was a little bit of an overreaction. I really don't care what JFF does off the field. If he wants to party, go party. Have a great time.

But I think his level of maturity is relevent to how he will perform as a football player.

3 facts:

1) JFF now knows through experience that he is a celebrity and his every move will be chronicled (Gronk photos, Riding the Swan, Money Phone)

2) His employer said two weeks ago that they would like him to tone it down.

3) His response was to go to Hollywood and hang out with Biebs and Mayweather, and to go to Vegas and roll dollar bills in Bathrooms. Basically a big FU to his employer,

His personality is striking me as a facebook personality, a "look at me" personality. My observation is those type of people don't make for team leaders for any significant length of time.

But, hey, if that makes me a sheep, then I am a sheep. BAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!

My team (Oakland) happens to be a bunch of choir boy, Bible thumpers, but nice try.

But there are a ton of teams you could say have characters like JFF though. Of course, guys like that have to earn the moniker "character". Like the old saying, coffee is for closers. Playoff teams have "characters". 4-12 teams have "trouble makers" and "malcontents" Seriously if you don't have a problem with JFF's entire offseason since he's been drafted, you aren't very self-aware.
I think your perception of most players in the NFL is off the reservation.

Wow, I think that was a little bit of an overreaction. I really don't care what JFF does off the field. If he wants to party, go party. Have a great time.

But I think his level of maturity is relevent to how he will perform as a football player.

3 facts:

1) JFF now knows through experience that he is a celebrity and his every move will be chronicled (Gronk photos, Riding the Swan, Money Phone)

3) His response was to go to Hollywood and hang out with Biebs and Mayweather, and to go to Vegas and roll dollar bills in Bathrooms. Basically a big FU to his employer,

His personality is striking me as a facebook personality, a "look at me" personality. My observation is those type of people don't make for team leaders for any significant length of time.

It pretty much does, yeah.

how much prep time Manziel is putting in
How much prep time has he been putting in?

I thought I read in the Johnson thread that Hoyer has been working out with the receivers.

Any local info on how much work JM is putting in? Not a statement ,just a question.

Since being drafted he's had 6 party weekends in 5 cities, including Vegas and LA twice each. Supposedly one other weekend he stayed in (or popped in to) CLE to shoot a commercial and that was pretty much it.

If you were competing for the starting job, for any job really, why would you let your main competitor get in all the work with the first team and the guys you need chemistry with, while you were out hitting it hard? Wouldn't that bother you?

No, I'm not naive to what players are doing. But let's not make this about me or my perception. Let's make this about JFF instead. Why is he the pretty much the only guy who constantly puts himself in the headlines for the wrong reasons? Aside from Josh Gordon that is. How's that work?

i've heard rumors about a pretty well known Browns player partying with illegal substances around town.

so i'm not naive about what these guys do.

but when you're a first round QB, you've got to be more discreet about it.

especially after the owner calls you out?

he just doesn't seem to get it.

3 facts:

What's funny to me is you don't think he will succeed for football reasons, all of which I agree with. So for him to succeed he will probably have to work harder than most to overcome a lot of his deficiencies by filmwork, study, training on techniques. None of what he is doing off the field seems to indicate that he has the discipline to outwork, outthink his opponents. That will contribute to his lack of success.

3 facts:

What's funny to me is you don't think he will succeed for football reasons, all of which I agree with. So for him to succeed he will probably have to work harder than most to overcome a lot of his deficiencies by filmwork, study, training on techniques. None of what he is doing off the field seems to indicate that he has the discipline to outwork, outthink his opponents. That will contribute to his lack of success.
i agree. didn't like the pick, but i was willing to give him a chance if he came in and did all the right things. but he just doesn't seem to be doing that.

No, I'm not naive to what players are doing. But let's not make this about me or my perception. Let's make this about JFF instead. Why is he the pretty much the only guy who constantly puts himself in the headlines for the wrong reasons? Aside from Josh Gordon that is. How's that work?
Because Manziel gets clicks.

Ryan Tannehill would not.

He's not really going around with a 'HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT ME' sign. The pic from this weekend is the first time I've raised an eye brow.

Because Manziel gets clicks.Ryan Tannehill would not.
we all know he gets clicks. why does he keep putting himself in these situations then?

he's been in the news literally every week. why not take a week off?

i've heard rumors about a pretty well known Browns player partying with illegal substances around town.

He doesn't care. There's a difference. Seems like the type that has never had to deal with adversity, so it'll be interesting to see what he does when he is, because it'll happen in this league. Based on everything I've heard and read about him on the field I think he'll thrive. If his style can stay on the field.

He's not really going around with a 'HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT ME' sign. The pic from this weekend is the first time I've raised an eye brow.

we all know he gets clicks.why does he keep putting himself in these situations then?

He doesn't care what you, the media, or anyone thinks. He does what he wants to do. He's been successful despite that approach in the past, so why change?

He doesn't care. There's a difference. Seems like the type that has never had to deal with adversity, so it'll be interesting to see what he does when he is, because it'll happen in this league. Based on everything I've heard and read about him on the field I think he'll thrive. If his style can stay on the field.
fair enough. imo, if he wants to be a franchise QB in this league, he better start caring.

we all know he gets clicks.why does he keep putting himself in these situations then?

He doesn't care what you, the media, or anyone thinks. He does what he wants to do. He's been successful despite that approach in the past, so why change?
you're probably right, in that is likely his mindset. again, imo, he's going to find out real fast that same approach isn't going to work for him in the NFL.

His own father said he needs a bottle to deal with the stress of his success. Does that strike you as a typical sign of succesful person? One of the 7 habits maybe?

The Chargers may have some guys who party a lot but I guarantee Philip Rivers isn't snorting blow in Vegas bathrooms.

Too bad "Honey Badger" was already taken. This is the guy who is convinced that the cops are targeting him because he keeps getting tickets for going 30 mph over the limit. Eventually that guy loses his license.

fair enough.imo, if he wants to be a franchise QB in this league, he better start caring.
That's why I'm curious what happens when he has his first confrontation with adversity. How will he react? Will he go pout in the corner because entitled Johnny didn't get his way? or will the warrior on the field I have seen, read, and heard so much about take over?

In his mind, this isn't adversity, this is the offseason.

The Chargers made have some guys who party a lot but I guarantee Philip Rivers isn't snorting blow in Vegas bathrooms.
He was snorting blow on the swan?

Users who are viewing this thread