What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Does this kid have a father?...If so he should take a beating for raising such a Dbag clown.....Kid hasn't even thrown a pass and it is already evident the Brown's F-ed up again.

Does this kid have a father?...If so he should take a beating for raising such a Dbag clown.....Kid hasn't even thrown a pass and it is already evident the Brown's F-ed up again.
Didn't his father throw some logs on this dumpster fire a while back? IIRC he made some rather disparaging comments about JFF.

I don't assume he's going to fail in the NFL because of this stuff. But I don't think it can make you feel great about him though. The parts of his game he may need to improve to be a success are the ones that take hard work and study. His current activities don't mean he won't put that time in. But if we're looking for positive and negative signs there (and that's what we do as we try to predict a player's success), I don't see how anything we've seen so far is a positive sign. They play more into concerns about him than hopes for him. But in the long run it might be a very small, insignificant factor.

One thing I keep coming back to in my head though is that supposedly leaked Patriots scouting report. Where it said, "Seems to enjoy putting himself in situations where he knows attention will follow him".

I don't know if the report was really the Patriots, or if someone else made it up. But as this stuff continues, I can't shake the feeling that whoever wrote it, Patriots or hoaxer, might have really nailed it. Just seems like even with the scrutiny he has to endure, if he wanted to avoid it he could have done such a better job than has happened. Other athletes have come out with advice for him on how to still enjoy himself without the results we see in the media. I can't say definitely, but I'd have no problem believing he wants the level of spotlight he's getting. At least for now. If his on field play doesn't live up, he may change his mind.

Anyone else getting that Ryan Leaf feeling here?
I don't think he'll implode like a Leaf. My worry for Manziel was a Vince Young career trajectory while my hopes for him were a Fran Tarkenton career. Not that he's moved much in my mind since saying that, but if he's moved at all, it's been towards Young.

I don't think he'll implode like a Leaf. My worry for Manziel was a Vince Young career trajectory while my hopes for him were a Fran Tarkenton career. Not that he's moved much in my mind since saying that, but if he's moved at all, it's been towards Young.
Vince Young may not be a bad comp. side note, i ended up drafting Leinart instead of Young, which in the end didn't matter as there really was no correct answer.

Vince Young may not be a bad comp. side note, i ended up drafting Leinart instead of Young, which in the end didn't matter as there really was no correct answer.
looked up Young, as i suspected, he was taller, heavier, and faster. so he had better physical tools.

Did somebody really just say that Johnny Yeyo has never faced adversity?
Like he will in the NFL, yes.When has he? how did he handle it?
He has faced more adversity and pressure than 99% of NFL players ever will.

Who else deals with this kind of obsessed hate and coverage? He arguably topped his Heisman season while dealing with it.
His slide in the draft demonstrated that most NFL GMs realized that successful NFL QBs tend to avoid obsessed hate and coverage.

Isn't it Johnny who is feeding the ESPN beast by doing all his partying publicly?
He's not really going around with a 'HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT ME' sign.

The pic from this weekend is the first time I've raised an eye brow.
Thats only because you are holding out hope as a Browns fan, kinda bias. The Browns are a mess, the culture is clearly a culture that makes these kids feel they can do whatever they want when they want and have no clue about repercussions.

Last edited by a moderator:
False Start said:
MAC_32 said:
dhockster said:
Isn't it Johnny who is feeding the ESPN beast by doing all his partying publicly?
He's not really going around with a 'HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT ME' sign. The pic from this weekend is the first time I've raised an eye brow.
Thats only because you are holding out hope as a Browns fan, kinda bias. The Browns are a mess, the culture is clearly a culture that makes these kids feel they can do whatever they want when they want and have no clue about repercussions.
I was going to pick this battle no matter who he got drafted by.

amnesiac said:
Greg Russell said:
Bucky86 said:
Jay Cutler was the correct answer that year.This year the (early) evidence is starting to stack against Johnny Manziel being the best rookie QB pick.

False Start said:
MAC_32 said:
dhockster said:
He's not really going around with a 'HEY EVERYONE COME LOOK AT ME' sign. The pic from this weekend is the first time I've raised an eye brow.
I assume you are familiar with Little Big Horn

matuski said:

Who else deals with this kind of obsessed hate and coverage? He arguably topped his Heisman season while dealing with it.
Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

False Start said:
MAC_32 said:
dhockster said:
I call :bs: There's no way you would have gone out of your way to defend Johny Yayo if he was drafted by the Oakland Raiders. You'd be clowning on them and a typical Raiders bungled draft pick with the rest of the haters. Don't lie.

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.
Better prepared to handle what pressure is ahead than any player coming out of college.. ever.

I have shared my doubts about his career.. I find it laughable people think he is going to crack. He will make it or not make it, but pressure won't be his undoing... he is eating it up.

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.
Better prepared to handle what pressure is ahead than any player coming out of college.. ever.

I have shared my doubts about his career.. I find it laughable people think he is going to crack. He will make it or not make it, but pressure won't be his undoing... he is eating it up.
link? source? are you inside his head? how would you know how he's handling the pressure right now?

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

Honestly, I am not even sure what all of this post means.

Its like you took some random statement and applied it to Johnny football with nothing to back it up.

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

link? source? are you inside his head? how would you know how he's handling the pressure right now?
His college career.. find your own link :link:

This stuff isn't new for him... and if you guys aren't talking about the paparazzi and internet hate, I'd ask you the same thing?

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

Its like you took some random statement and applied it to Johnny football with nothing to back it up.
Thank you noticing and calling out the BS of such a subjective, ill-defined statement.

yes, Manziel seems to be putting Andrew Luck and Peyton Manning to shame so far with his ability to handle the pressure.

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

Thank you noticing and calling out the BS of such a subjective, ill-defined statement.
Lets define it then.. you are saying, with what you saw (or perhaps you didn't see it) the last two years, that pressure and competition are going to get to him?

His play style and size don't mix well... these are valid arguments. His reaction on the field to pressure and competition can't possibly be your angle here... is it?

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

Lets define it then.. you are saying, with what you saw (or perhaps you didn't see it) the last two years, that pressure and competition are going to get to him?

His play style and size don't mix well... these are valid arguments. His reaction on the field to pressure and competition can't possibly be your angle here... is it?
Let's not parse words. Here is what you said:

"He has faced more adversity and pressure than 99% of NFL players ever will."

If you feel that strongly, prepare a case study of reasonable comps and then attempt to put JFF into the 1% percentile of mental toughness. And then extrapolate or attempt to extrapolate from college adversity and pressure to the pros. Should be easy right? You must have at least 99 hard core mental cases to compare. I'll wait.

cstu said:
jurb26 said:
Ditka Butkus said:
Didn't his father throw some logs on this dumpster fire a while back? IIRC he made some rather disparaging comments about JFF.
Yep.
Bucky86 said:
Leaf wasn't just a bad player and a bust, he freaked out when faced with the media.

Aggieland is a place where the reporters are sycophants, the fans are into hero worship, the whole place, A&M, is just a bubble, and the fact he led them to two of their best winning and most exciting football in decades just sealed him in a hermetic protective shield.

Looking over that interview I could see how a guy with that kind of temper could have problems with a professional, big city news media, especially if the team loses under him and also additionally if he plays poorly. I don't know much about Cleveland (might visit for the first time this year to see the Saints though...) but my guess is it's Browns above all else, including the Tribe and Cavs for the most part. I remember Ricky Williams in NO, totally different situation, but coming from UT (bigger city, more sophisticated and smarter than Aggie types, but still a bubble) he wasn't ready to be the focus of cameras all the time.

Who knows how this turns out but yeah the watch has begun.

False Start said:
MAC_32 said:
dhockster said:
I call :bs: There's no way you would have gone out of your way to defend Johny Yayo if he was drafted by the Oakland Raiders. You'd be clowning on them and a typical Raiders bungled draft pick with the rest of the haters. Don't lie.
I'm not defending Johnny. I'm mocking those that are picking on what he's done this offseason, until this dollar bill thing anyway.

Another way to look at the partying is that he is a young guy avoiding the pressure of working to become the starter and hero-in-waiting. He was a huge star on the college level, but basically that's a wash now, that's history. He has to prove himself all over again, and in a much bigger way. Another way to handle that would be to cut out the partying, don't answer the phone, tell your friends and pr people 'no', read the playbook, stay longer after practice, work at the facility on the weekend in Cleveland and do everything possible to get ready for the biggest challenge of his life.

Has Johnny commented on this dollar bill in the bathroom photo yet? It must have come up by now, right? Sorry if I missed the link. I wonder if he is going to tell reporters, "that's in the past, I don't want to talk about what's in the past...next question".

Has Johnny commented on this dollar bill in the bathroom photo yet? It must have come up by now, right? Sorry if I missed the link. I wonder if he is going to tell reporters, "that's in the past, I don't want to talk about what's in the past...next question".
Is he back in Cleveland yet? My guess is the first time he sees a reporter he's on the clock.

More to the point about Manziel and football:

Have there been any news reports out of Cleveland of:

• Manziel's efforts to learn the playbook?
  • Manziel impressing with the variety in his game or new things he has shown the coaching staff?
  • His work ethic or on-field intelligence?
I could see how partying may not reflect how he will play or who he is as a leader, but what information do we have coming out about how he is performing and preparing?

• Manziel impressing with the variety in his game or new things he has shown the coaching staff?
I could see how partying may not reflect how he will play or who he is as a leader, but what information do we have coming out about how he is performing and preparing?
supposedly, we have no other information on Manziel because those stories don't get clicks.

And I think we heard all of these things with Josh Gordon even though he was effing off

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

I just love how you compare the NFL with college football

False Start said:
MAC_32 said:
dhockster said:
I'm not defending Johnny. I'm mocking those that are picking on what he's done this offseason, until this dollar bill thing anyway.
Christ dude where you draw lines in the sand is embarrassing

supposedly, we have no other information on Manziel because those stories don't get clicks.
yet you see them all over the place with other rookies. There is an article just today about Kelvin Benjimen learning the panther plays and their route tree.

yet you see them all over the place with other rookies. There is an article just today about Kelvin Benjimen learning the panther plays and their route tree.
i agree. it seems especially odd to me considering Mary Kay Cabot is generally considered a puppet of the Browns, yet we haven't seen any fluff pieces on Manziel from her.

i agree.it seems especially odd to me considering Mary Kay Cabot is generally considered a puppet of the Browns, yet we haven't seen any fluff pieces on Manziel from her.
I think the browns have been trying to just keep attention off of him, good bad or otherwise.

It seems like a losing battle though

matuski said:

Quoted for posterity.

Just. Wow.

Not according to his dad. In fact the opposite.

False Start said:
MAC_32 said:
dhockster said:
Christ dude where you draw lines in the sand is embarrassing
A google image search of drunk (pick a nfl player) would be a fun game for people like you.

Or you can just understand that most of the league drinks, does drugs, parties, breaks the law, etc.

Whatever your flavor, guy.

Users who are viewing this thread