Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

So you follow it up with another post tying to convince me he's already a star? Ok. I'll believe it when I see it on the field.

Denial much?

Because you say Johnny Manziel isn't a celeberity he isn't? Argue with TMZ the NFL Network ESPn and those who buy ink by the barrelful because they don't agree.

You got mad and took shots at entire fan bases when its obvious to all that you are jealous of the attention being paid to one of their players.

We didn't create Johnny Football. We didn't create his celebrity.

Now I'm mad? Umm OK.

The only person mad seems to be you because I don't buy into the "celebrity" you're trying to convince me of... Which was kind of the point all along.

John McClain posted one word on his twitter account and it got 100,000 hits. The one word was Manziel.

Obviously you and the vast throngs of people are right, their isn't any proof so he's not a celebrity.

Before you take a shot at Cavs fans like you did with Browns fans to claim King James isn't a celebrity. The day LeBron announced he was leaving the Heat their official twitter account lost 300,000 followers.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP

His argument is pretty ridiculous, but there's really no reason to bring up Ferguson or the I can't breathe protests in response. Pretty poor taste here guys.

Before you take a shot at Cavs fans like you did with Browns fans to claim King James isn't a celebrity. The day LeBron announced he was leaving the Heat their official twitter account lost 300,000 followers.

I see the strawman you are attempting to create here so I'll go on record and say that James is with out a doubt a massive sports celebrity. I never questioned him otherwise. Edited by jurb26

I see the strawman you are attempting to create here so I'll go on record and say that James is with out a doubt a massive sports celebrity. I never questioned him otherwise.

Wow, you actually concede that LeBron James is a celebrity?

Gosh, that proves Johnny Manziel isn't and but that Browns fans are desperate to make him a celebrity since he's obviosly not. You said so.

I see the strawman you are attempting to create here so I'll go on record and say that James is with out a doubt a massive sports celebrity. I never questioned him otherwise.

Wow, you actually concede that LeBron James is a celebrity?

Gosh, that proves Johnny Manziel isn't and but that Browns fans are desperate to make him a celebrity since he's obviosly not. You said so.

what the hell are you talking about?

put me in the camp that thinks all of this is going to turn out to be a non-issue. manziel starts by week 6 and has a solid yet raw season, keeping the browns in the playoff hunt until week 15 or so. next offseason he learns to hide his partying better and the media goes away and we forget this ever happened.

and just so we're clear here, the issue is not with manziel allegedly doing coke, the issue is with manziel being dumb enough to get caught allegedly doing it. lots of big name sports figures and celebs 'party' like that, you just don't hear about it because they are discreet about it. he will learn.

Do you think JFF is going to help sell tickets this year? Do you think this media circus helps or hurts that?

if the Browns win they sell tickets. Johnny football or no Johnny football.

Do you think JFF is going to help sell tickets this year? Do you think this media circus helps or hurts that?

if the Browns win they sell tickets. Johnny football or no Johnny football.
I'm in this camp. Can't wait to see that D this year as well.

put me in the camp that thinks all of this is going to turn out to be a non-issue. manziel starts by week 6 and has a solid yet raw season, keeping the browns in the playoff hunt until week 15 or so. next offseason he learns to hide his partying better and the media goes away and we forget this ever happened.

and just so we're clear here, the issue is not with manziel allegedly doing coke, the issue is with manziel being dumb enough to get caught allegedly doing it. lots of big name sports figures and celebs 'party' like that, you just don't hear about it because they are discreet about it. he will learn.

You're right, in the end its about football and this should cool-off quickly.

The kid has flaws in his throwing motion which are amplified by his short stature so I've got concerns about his ability in the pocket right now but his unorthodox style and ability to extend plays outside the pocket makes him a true boom-or-bust player. He really is tough to try and figure out.

The off-field stuff that causes concern for some are the latest that you mention but his dad threw him under the bus last summer saying their family and coaches at Texas A & M wanted John to seek counseling for alcohol and anger management which Johnny has admited to.

Training camp in two week so this thread should get pretty boring unless Johnny tears it up or completely busts which I don't think happens.

Preseason games are tailor made for his free lance style of play, easy reads. vanilla-D, soft coverages. and uncomplicated blitz packages. He might flash but Hoyer should be the starter. The Browns have an early BYE in week 4 but unless Hoyer's knee becomes a problem I don't think Hoyer loses the job then because once the shift gets made they won't turn back. It comes back to football and the kid still needs time.

Its not just about the QB competition and Josh Gordon, the O-line is adding a rookie and the RB pecking order hasn't been settled. So on offense that is 1 new starting QB over last year, 1 new RB, 1 new OG, and at least 2 new WRs. That is a lot of change in personnel on offense. On defense adding two FA starters, SS Whitner and LB Carlos Dansby with two anticipated rookies CB Justin Gilbert and LB Christian Kirksey on defense for a grand total of 9 different starters. That's a lot. Dansby, Whitner, and Tate look like instant upgrades but their are questions with the rest begining with Hoyer's knee so I have absolutely no clue how the season plays out.

I like the Doug Flutie skills/style of play comparison.

You're right, in the end its about football and this should cool-off quickly.

The kid has flaws in his throwing motion which are amplified by his short stature so I've got concerns about his ability in the pocket right now but his unorthodox style and ability to extend plays outside the pocket makes him a true boom-or-bust player. He really is tough to try and figure out.

The off-field stuff that causes concern for some are the latest that you mention but his dad threw him under the bus last summer saying their family and coaches at Texas A & M wanted John to seek counseling for alcohol and anger management which Johnny has admited to.

Training camp in two week so this thread should get pretty boring unless Johnny tears it up or completely busts which I don't think happens.

Preseason games are tailor made for his free lance style of play, easy reads. vanilla-D, soft coverages. and uncomplicated blitz packages. He might flash but Hoyer should be the starter. The Browns have an early BYE in week 4 but unless Hoyer's knee becomes a problem I don't think Hoyer loses the job then because once the shift gets made they won't turn back. It comes back to football and the kid still needs time.

Its not just about the QB competition and Josh Gordon, the O-line is adding a rookie and the RB pecking order hasn't been settled. So on offense that is 1 new starting QB over last year, 1 new RB, 1 new OG, and at least 2 new WRs. That is a lot of change in personnel on offense. On defense adding two FA starters, SS Whitner and LB Carlos Dansby with two anticipated rookies CB Justin Gilbert and LB Christian Kirksey on defense for a grand total of 9 different starters. That's a lot. Dansby, Whitner, and Tate look like instant upgrades but their are questions with the rest begining with Hoyer's knee so I have absolutely no clue how the season plays out.

You both are spot on IMO good posting.

Your front office bought into this circus. Don't even pretend that it's all him. Embrace the giant mink coat you are wrapped in and HOPE it works out. It just may...OR not. I soooooooooooo remember a Leaf that turned brown and died wayyyyyyyyyy before it's time. It happens. Unfortunately it happens to the Browns more than most. Desperate times call for desperate measures. Grab an inflatable swan, a magnum of champagne and jump into the pool...Because guess what? It's too late to B i t c h now.

I wish you success. I truly do because nothing makes Sunday rock like an upset. NOTHING.

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns

Coach Mike Pettine said he'll name his starting quarterback by the third preseason game.

"I dont know if Ill set a date and kind of paint ourselves into a date, but it will be sooner than the third preseason game," Pettine said. The competition between Johnny Manziel and Brian Hoyer kicks off this week. The Akron Beacon-Journal recently predicted Hoyer will hold off Manziel, but Johnny Football brings the most to the table and should win the job as long as he performs and keeps his head on straight this summer. JFF has QB1 upside.

Related: Brian Hoyer

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Jul 22 - 8:52 AM

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns

Browns coach Mike Pettine suggested Johnny Manziel will have to improve his "dedication" to be a serious competitor to start.

Browns camp hasn't even begun, but all signs point to the coaching staff favoring Brian Hoyer. "I think he knows that in order for him to compete well, he's going to have to probably be more dedicated than ever," Pettine said of Manziel. Pettine confirmed to ESPN Cleveland that Hoyer will "be with the ones" when full-squad practices begin Saturday. "I think at this point, right now, its more Johnny versus the playbook than it is (Johnny) versus Brian."

Source: Tom Withers on Twitter

Jul 23 - 8:10 PM

'Inside Training Camp Live' Whispers: Mistake-free Manziel

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000367939/article/inside-training-camp-live-whispers-mistakefree-manziel

ยป Per NFL Media's Aditi Kinkhabwala out of Berea, Ohio, Johnny Manziel seems off to a good -- or technically perfect? -- start to his first season in the NFL. Nate Burleson, who Kinkhabwala ran into after the wideout practiced with the rookies, said Manziel "didn't make any mistakes today." Following head coach Mike Pettine's announcement that the team's starting QB won't be named until Aug. 23, it appears that a legitimate QB battle could be nigh.

I love the delta between quotes and headlines. A wideouts only comment about him is that he didn't make any mistakes. Not "was great" or "looked sharp" or "made some amazing throws" or "big plays."

This becomes "Mistake-Free Manziel" and "technically perfect?"

Some of these guys should work for the White House.

• Like 1

I love the delta between quotes and headlines. A wideouts only comment about him is that he didn't make any mistakes. Not "was great" or "looked sharp" or "made some amazing throws" or "big plays."

This becomes "Mistake-Free Manziel" and "technically perfect?"

Some of these guys should work for the White House.

Not to mention the apparent legitimate QB battle that could be nigh.

Nah, motivational coach speak. Coach is desperately trying to pretend he wouldn't mind starting Brian Hoyer. "improve dedication" has the connotation that dedication is lacking because it need to be improved.

"Be more dedicated than ever" implies there was nothing wrong with the dedication in the first place, but the challenge is so great (starting over Brian Wildman Hoyer) that he must heap even more dedication on top of his already existing dedication, which was not cited as lacking.

Ocean of difference.

I think we can pretty much count on any quote made about Manziel being sensationalized one way or the other.

I dont know man, the one from his coach is pretty direct and telling.

It's really not. It's total fluff, and the media twists it into a public challenge to his work ethic. Dumb.

I just ran all this through the Pettine-to-English translator at Babelfish and here's what came back:

"I sure do hope Johnny doesn't come to training camp and make everything look easy after all the effing around he did this off-season. I'd hate to have to start him after he played the fool and wasn't 'fully dedicated' like the also-rans in front of him on the depth chart. For goddsake throw me a bone, Johnny, and at least pretend you're working hard!"

Edited by wdcrob
  • Like 1

I think we can pretty much count on any quote made about Manziel being sensationalized one way or the other.

It's really not. It's total fluff, and the media twists it into a public challenge to his work ethic. Dumb.

telling the media that your qb that you drafted in the first round in this years draft that he needs to be more dedicated after a 3 month bender is far from fluff

telling the media that your qb that you drafted in the first round in this years draft that he needs to be more dedicated after a 3 month bender is far from fluff

Read what he said. What you're saying (and what the blurb implies) is that he's not dedicated enough already. That's not what was said. Read the actual quote. It says he'll need to be "more dedicated than ever". That's a different statement entirely. Stop reading it through your Rotoworld page hit goggles.

Did you not read my post? "Be more dedicated THAN EVER" Those last two words completely change the meaning.

@MaryKayCabot: Browns 'alarmed' by some of Johnny Manziel's behavior, concerned it's set him back in QB competition, sources say http://t.co/XaInnCzxfo

:lmao:

Good job, Browns. There's no WAY anyone could've seen this coming.

Team officials had bought into Manziel's pre-draft promises to tone down the partying and leave his frat-boy lifestyle back in College Station, Texas, and they've been stunned by his non-stop antics, sources said.

If I were the "team officials" in this quote I would ashamed to admit I was stunned by the only behavior this guy has ever been known for (gasp!!) continuing.

@MaryKayCabot: Browns 'alarmed' by some of Johnny Manziel's behavior, concerned it's set him back in QB competition, sources say http://t.co/XaInnCzxfo

If this is a surprise to these guys...well, they at least held my interest longer than the last regime. Clueless people running that ship if they didn't think the last 2 1/2 months were a possibility.

:lmao:

Good job, Browns. There's no WAY anyone could've seen this coming.

Team officials had bought into Manziel's pre-draft promises to tone down the partying and leave his frat-boy lifestyle back in College Station, Texas, and they've been stunned by his non-stop antics, sources said.

If I were the "team officials" in this quote I would ashamed to admit I was stunned by the only behavior this guy has ever been known for (gasp!!) continuing.

But, but, but...he told Gruden that he woudn't be a Distraction.

I just ran all this through the Pettine-to-English translator at Babelfish and here's what came back:

"I sure do hope Johnny doesn't come to training camp and make everything look easy after all the effing around he did this off-season. I'd hate to have to start him after he played the fool and wasn't 'fully dedicated' like the also-rans in front of him on the depth chart. For goddsake throw me a bone, Johnny, and at least pretend you're working hard!"

Yeah, this sounds like "Fat Eddie" from 2013 to me. People piling on and digging and tearing him down as the nit-pick him. All of us react and then, during the season, all he does is come out and remind us all (painfully to some of us) why he was what he was in college.

And that's hard for me to say because, I'll be honest; I'm already sick of hearing about Johnny Football. I kind of wish he would go away and I don't think he brings anything to the NFL that is worth the pain he is. But...that's kinda how these things go. He will show up and make us all look like dolts.

I think we can throw out this Mary Kay fluff-piece

Since they traded up to draft him No. 1 overall on May 8, he's partied hard in New York City, Las Vegas twice, Los Angeles with hip-star Drake, Austin, Tex., Houston, Tex. and at pop star Justin Bieber's house in Beverly Hills with the likes of world champ Floyd Mayweather.

Uhh, what?

I wonder if he'd still be doing this if they'd come out and said they expect him to start over Hoyer.

I mean, they've basically told everyone they prefer to start Hoyer this year so it seems like he' saying "Eff it. If I'm going to be 2nd string this year anyway, why not have a little bit of fun?"

He seems like a guy that will behave according to expectations.

But really...what a doosh.

Since they traded up to draft him No. 1 overall on May 8, he's partied hard in New York City, Las Vegas twice, Los Angeles with hip-star Drake, Austin, Tex., Houston, Tex. and at pop star Justin Bieber's house in Beverly Hills with the likes of world champ Floyd Mayweather.

Uhh, what?

i didn't get that part either.

he wasn't even the Browns' first pick.

If this is a surprise to these guys...well, they at least held my interest longer than the last regime. Clueless people running that ship if they didn't think the last 2 1/2 months were a possibility.
my guess is Manziel did a great job during his interview.

guess he can always go be an actor when this football things dries up for him.

Great to hear where his priorities are:

"I have a limited amount of time to build a career out of football and be the best that I can be at this job. When this job is over, I have the rest of my life to do what I want to do with my time. Right now my job is to watch film, workout, and treat my body right. When I get done with football, then I can relax and drink as many beers as I want and hang out and be a regular guy. Right now, I am a football player and I will sacrifice whatever is necessary to be the best."

Uhh, what?

i didn't get that part either.

he wasn't even the Browns' first pick.

There is so much horrible about this one paragraph its kinda hard to know where to start.

I wonder if he'd still be doing this if they'd come out and said they expect him to start over Hoyer.

I mean, they've basically told everyone they prefer to start Hoyer this year so it seems like he' saying "Eff it. If I'm going to be 2nd string this year anyway, why not have a little bit of fun?"

He seems like a guy that will behave according to expectations.

But really...what a doosh.

I'd heard they were leaning towards starting Hoyer week 1 but nowhere have i heard anything else. Plus, i really doubt he'd have changed his behavior if he was named the starter. He's still got a lot of growing up to do.

Edited by Tool
  • Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'