What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

I wonder if he'd still be doing this if they'd come out and said they expect him to start over Hoyer.

I mean, they've basically told everyone they prefer to start Hoyer this year so it seems like he' saying "Eff it. If I'm going to be 2nd string this year anyway, why not have a little bit of fun?"

He seems like a guy that will behave according to expectations.

But really...what a doosh.
According to teammates past and present he has his head on straight when it is time to be about football. Nobody that plays with the guy seems to have a problem with him.

And where are you seeing he will be second string all year?

His interview yesterday was down right terrible. Instead of downplaying the social life and talking about football he talked about how he likes to go out to clubs and has the right to party. When asked about Lebron he could have just said he's happy about it, they're friends, great for the city, but he went on and on, calling himself business partners with him and saying that they've been exchanging texts. Then he was about to answer another question and it sounded like the Browns owner told him he was done. He looked over and abruptly left. Not trying to rag on the guy but I would think the Browns are pissed about that interview. I don't think he did it on purpose but man did he sound like an ### up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just saw the pic rolling a $20 bill in the bathroom.........what annnnn idiot!

Clown just doesn't learn
One thing that nobody has mentioned about that 'picture' is the angle of where it was taken from in a restroom.

That wasn't taken by a person. It is from a corner angle taken looking down.

Johnny is a shade under 6'0 tall and that 'picture' is at least two to three feet over his head looking down from an angle. Its obviously a still taken from a video camera and the really disturbing thing is that video camera is in the gents restroom and if they have them in the guy's restroom you can bet they have them in the girls restroom.

Years ago I was working for a big well-known corporation and a news story made the local TV station of a criminal they caught who was sneaking into the ladies restroom and breaking into the feminine hygene machine and making off with hundeds of dollars a month in small bills and loose change.

The TV story was supposed to be one of those ha-ha funny little ditties they run at the end of programs for a chuckle but it created a firestorm at the business because the ladies lost their freaking minds because they thought the corporation had cameras inside of the ladies restroom.

So take another gander at that 'picture' and you'll see it looks like it is a still from a video and if that is the case and if word gets out then that club could be in for a mess of trouble.

---------------------------

Oh and word came out that the video of Johnny on the 'cash-phone' was made years ago when he was a teenager but someone posted it now because they knew it would get web hits.

That wasn't made when he was in the NFL.

Clown just doesn't learn
One thing that nobody has mentioned about that 'picture' is the angle of where it was taken from in a restroom.

Johnny is a shade under 6'0 tall and that 'picture' is at least two to three feet over his head looking down from an angle. Its obviously a still taken from a video camera and the really disturbing thing is that video camera is in the gents restroom and if they have them in the guy's restroom you can bet they have them in the girls restroom.

Years ago I was working for a big well-known corporation and a news story made the local TV station of a criminal they caught who was sneaking into the ladies restroom and breaking into the feminine hygene machine and making off with hundeds of dollars a month in small bills and loose change.

The TV story was supposed to be one of those ha-ha funny little ditties they run at the end of programs for a chuckle but it created a firestorm at the business because the ladies lost their freaking minds because they thought the corporation had cameras inside of the ladies restroom.

So take another gander at that 'picture' and you'll see it looks like it is a still from a video and if that is the case and if word gets out then that club could be in for a mess of trouble.

Oh and word came out that the video of Johnny on the 'cash-phone' was made years ago when he was a teenager but someone posted it now because they knew it would get web hits.

wow, just wow

I might be this way if he was my qb, but at some point you have to put the kool aid down. You just look silly.

Clown just doesn't learn

wow, just wow

I might be this way if he was my qb, but at some point you have to put the kool aid down. You just look silly.
Hey Moron,

Read what I've posted on Manziel before you try your lame over-reaction shtick mkaay?

Clown just doesn't learn

wow, just wow

Hey Moron,

Read what I've posted on Manziel before you try your lame over-reaction shtick mkaay?
oh he mad
Both of you when you get back, leave off the attacks and commentary on each other and stick to discussing football.

Casserly: Hoyer nor Manziel is answer for Browns

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000371085/article/casserly-hoyer-nor-manziel-is-answer-for-browns

Excerpts:

Despite all the off-field white noise, Manziel was described to Casserly by multiple team sources as bringing a "first-in, last-out mentality" and showing up to camp with a better knowledge of the offense. Verbiage is the biggest challenge for Manziel, but Casserly was told the rookie is "doing fine" with that aspect of the playbook
» Casserly likes Manziel's quick release and arm strength, but sees "no outstanding physical traits" in Hoyer. He does see in the veteran a passer who knows where to go with ball. Hoyer's accuracy dipped on downfield throws, but he's a smart quarterback who Casserly believes will ultimately start under center on opening day.

Ouch.

Johnny Manziel has unofficially completed just 42-of-85 passes (49.4 percent) during 7-on-7 and team drills at training camp.

Manziel's off-field activities continue to draw headlines, but the Browns should be more concerned with his on-field work. At this point, he has not performed well enough to draw first-team reps. Brian Hoyer, a former UDFA and journeyman who is coming off an ACL tear, continues to get all the snaps with the "ones."
Source: ESPN Cleveland
Jul 31 - 8:57 AM

I've not read this whole thread and probably won't be owning Manziel in my dynasty unless he falls right in my lap. Just gotta say I have a serious feeling he's either the next RGIII in 3 years or he's gone the way of Tebow.

In some ways he's like the antithesis of Tebow. Manziel has the tools, but I question the Nuke LaLoosh factor with him. Tebow had the heart and work ethic, just lacked the tools.

:popcorn:

Momentum for Hoyer keeps building. Looks like Manziel will have a real uphill battle to starting.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000370894/article/joe-thomas-brian-hoyer-is-a-lot-like-tom-brady
Johnny Manziel losing groundESPN.com Cleveland Browns reporter Pat McManamon discusses Johnny Manziel's struggles thus far in camp.
7/30/14 Video

"well behind Hoyer"

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/6938/johnny-manziel-losing-ground

Johnny Manziel says Browns fans will see a difference between what he’s shown in training camp and what he’ll show when they start playing games.

Asked if he expects to perform better once the games start than he has so far in practice, Manziel said that’s always been his way.

“Always, for me, I’ve been better in a game situation than I feel I have in practice. But I have to come out here and get better with the reps that I’m getting. That’s the main thing, keep getting better, and then when it’s time to go out and play football, it’s time to play football,” Manziel said.

... “There will be times in games, situations in games when things break down, and obviously it’s not practice, there are not coaches on the field, and it will be a little bit — it will be a lot different. But practice is what it is, and we have to get better,” Manziel said. ...
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/31/johnny-manziel-expects-to-be-better-in-games-than-in-practice/

Where's Johnny: Manziel Bounces BackJul 31, 2014 -- 3:15pm

http://www.espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=35561

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jY9Py8DtoyI

9:29am: After a day off the Browns are back on the practice field. Johnny is the last QB out at 9:29 and at 9:30 the horn sounds to start the day.

9:31am: The QB’s work on the exchange with their respective centers.

9:38am: Stretch time

9:49am: QB/RB Drills. On Johnny’s first play he rolls to the right, throwing a pass to RB Chris Ogbonnaya.

9:54am: QB to RB handoff exchange drill

10:01am: QB/WR/TE drills

10:10am: Johnny and the QB’s throw to all skill position guys (WR/TE/RB)

10:20am: 3 on 3 Drill with QB’s

No official numbers on this drill, but Manziel with three fantastic deep ball completions to WR’s Anthony Armstrong, Nate Burleson and Charles Johnson. Manziel looked really good in this drill.

10:26am: 11 on 11 Drill number one

10:30am: Johnny time (Numbers – 1/2 with two runs and a dead ball)

• Play #1 – Completion to WR Miles Austin
  • Play #2 – Johnny scrambles to the right side and runs out-of-bounds
  • Play #3 – Handoff to RB Chris Ogbonnaya
  • Play #4 – Snap goes over the head of Johnny; play whistled dead
  • Play #5 – Incomplete pass to WR Andrew Hawkins
10:38am: Special Teams time. QB footwork and agility drills for Johnny, Brian and company.

10:49am: 11 on 11 Drill number two

10:52am: Johnny time (Numbers – Zero passes with one run)

• Play #1 - Handoff to FB Ray Agnew
10:57am: Johnny time (Numbers – 0/1 with two sacks for safeties)

• Play #1 – Johnny rolls to his right and ends up throwing the ball away
  • Play #2 – Johnny is “sacked” in the endzone for a safety
  • Play #3 – Same results. Manziel holds onto the ball too long this time and ends up getting “sacked”
11:02am: 7 on 7 Drill (Numbers – 2/4)

• Play #1 – Completion to WR Andrew Hawkins
  • Play #2 – Incomplete pass to RB Terrance West
  • Play #3 – Completion to WR Andrew Hawkins
  • Play #4 – Incomplete pass. Johnny overthrows everyone.
11:11am: Johnny time (Numbers – 3/4)

• Play #1 – Completion to TE Gary Barnidge
  • Play #2 – Incomplete pass to WR Nate Burleson
  • Play #3 – Completion to WR Charles Johnson
  • Play #4 – Completion to WR Taylor Gabriel
11:17am: Special Teams time. QB footwork and agility drills for Johnny, Brian and company.

11:30am: 11 on 11 Drill number three

11:32am: Johnny time (Numbers – 2/3)

• Play #1 – Johnny rolls out under pressure and throws a nice completion to FB Ray Agnew
  • Play #2 – Incomplete pass to TE James Oboh
  • Play #3 – Completion to WR Travis Benjamin
11:38am: Johnny time (Numbers – two runs)

• Play #1 – Johnny runs with the ball on a QB keeper
  • Play #2 – Handoff to RB Dion Lewis
11:44am: Goal Line Drill (Numbers – 1/2 with one run)

• Play #1 – Johnny with his best play of the day rolling to his left and side-arming a TD pass to TE Jim Dray.
  • Play #2 – Incomplete pass to TE Emmanuel Ogbuehi in the endzone who just about gets be-headed by FS Tashaun Gipson.
  • Play #3 – A penalty on the defense nullifies the run and gives the offense another shot at the endzone.
  • Play #4 – Handoff to RB Edwin Baker who bangs into the endzone for a TD.
UN-OFFICIAL PASSING TOTALS TODAY FOR JOHNNY - 9/16

Browns rookie Johnny Manziel appears to be on Brian Hoyer’s heels after running in Akron

By Nate Ulrich

Beacon Journal sports writer

Browns rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel returned to campus Saturday and showed flashes of the improvisational wizard who took college football by storm the past two years.

But this time “Manzielmania” enveloped the University of Akron instead of Texas A&M. Nevertheless, Johnny Football went back to school, and not even ornery weather could ruin his fun.

Threats of thunderstorms prompted the Browns to run their Family Day scrimmage from 11:13 a.m. to 12:28 p.m. instead of the scheduled 11:30 a.m. to 2:10 p.m. But at least the announced crowd of 20,673 at InfoCision Stadium received an opportunity to watch Manziel do what he does best as the Browns took a test drive in preparation for their Saturday preseason opener at the Detroit Lions.

In the first unscripted, live action of training camp, Manziel’s run-around-and-create-something-on-the-fly style was on display more than any other time since the Browns drafted him 22nd overall May 8. It’s his greatest strength, though it’s not always evident in a regular practice setting.

“It felt good to run,” said Manziel, who won the Heisman Trophy in 2012. “And I think the plays we executed on those worked really well.”

Manziel continued to work exclusively with the second-team offense, and veteran Brian Hoyer took all of the snaps with the first unit. Coach Mike Pettine said the staff would meet Sunday to discuss when it’ll give Manziel his first reps with the starters. On Thursday, Pettine and offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan suggested it would happen soon.

So is the battle for the starting quarterback job closer than it was when camp opened July 26?

“I wouldn’t say that [it’s closer]. When camp began, Brian was the ones because we had to put somebody out there with the ones,” Pettine said. “But they were truly competing against each other, and at some point we will mix the units. I think that it’s all part of our evaluation process.”

The bottom line is Manziel appears to have narrowed the gap between himself and Hoyer with his performance in the scrimmage. Still, Manziel described his rookie growing pains and attempt to learn the intricacies of the playbook as “a struggle” last week, so he must focus solely on overcoming those obstacles to surpass Hoyer.

“There’s no gap that I’m looking at right now,” Manziel said after the scrimmage. “It’s know the playbook, know everything. There’s still so many little things here and there that can throw a play and change a play and a defensive look, and that’s stuff that I wasn’t used to. Now I’m seeing it, adjusting, learning.”

Manziel said he hasn’t talked to the coaches about when he’ll receive first-team reps, though they’re likely on the horizon.

“I’m fine with how things are going and I’m learning,” he said. “That’s really the only thing I need to be worried about right now.”

Excluding red-zone drills, Manziel completed 3-of-7 passes for 14 yards with runs of 9 and 5 yards in 11-on-11 sessions. He almost never dropped back in the pocket, read the defense and struck — his coaches know he must improve in those areas to succeed in the NFL — but he found unconventional ways to make plays, including on read option and out of the pistol formation.

“He made a couple nice runs, made some nice throws,” Pettine said. “Where most quarterbacks would step out of bounds, he got two completions there.”

With Manziel operating against the second-team defense on both of his series, the offense went three-and-out the first time before bouncing back for a 16-play, 63-yard drive that ended with receiver Taylor Gabriel being tackled for a 6-yard loss after catching a short pass from Manziel on fourth-and-goal from the 1.

“The first drive came out a little sloppy,” Manziel said. “But from there I thought I was proud of my group.”

Manziel kept the long march alive earlier when he completed a 14-yard pass to undrafted rookie receiver Willie Snead on fourth-and-5 from the 34. On first-and-goal from the 9, Manziel rolled to his right and connected with tight end Gary Barnidge in the back right corner of the end zone, but the officials ruled Barnidge caught the pass out of bounds (“I can’t really tell,” Manziel said. “We’ll see on film if he got his feet in.”) On first-and-goal from the 4, Manziel threw a dart to receiver Charles Johnson in the front of the end zone, but he dropped the ball when rookie cornerback Justin Gilbert ran into him.

With those missed opportunities among the culprits, the Browns didn’t score a touchdown on offense all day.

“We have to convert when we get into the red zone,” Pettine said. “The field gets tight there. The defense can take some chances, and they did and that’s something we’re going to get a lot of work on.”

Hoyer completed 7-of-11 passes for 56 yards in team drills other than the red-zone periods. He faced the first-team defense in two series and the second unit in another series. He opened the scrimmage with 40 yards passing on the opening march against the starting defense, but the offense eventually stalled.

“I thought Brian, especially in that first series, converted some third downs and was poised in the pocket,” Pettine said. “He stepped up and made some throws.”

Against the second-string defense, Hoyer helped the offense move but couldn’t keep it going. The series ended with kicker Billy Cundiff’s successful 53-yard field goal.

“I think we got some good work in,” Hoyer said. “Obviously, we have a long way to go.”

Manziel did not commit a turnover, but Hoyer threw an interception in a red-zone drill. On fourth-and-5 at the 20, undrafted rookie defensive lineman Jacobbi McDaniel tipped the ball near the line of scrimmage, allowing outside linebacker Barkevious Mingo to intercept the deflected pass and return it nearly 50 yards before right tackle Mitchell Schwartz tackled him.

“It’s definitely tough because I think [the intended receiver] was pretty much wide open to go up the middle of the field,” Hoyer said. “It’s definitely something that you’ve got to work on, and it’s a feel and being in the pocket. No matter what, it’s on you because you can’t throw it to the [other] guys.”

Mingo accurately stated the defense “came out on top,” but he also acknowledged a more notable development: Manziel broke loose. Defenders will certainly aim to stop him in his tracks, but they’ve got to catch him first.

“If he was a regular quarterback in this league, you’d be licking your chops, but it’s Johnny Manziel,” Mingo said. “He can plant. He can take it the other way. You just never know what he’s going to do.”

Funny thing is, there isn't any evidence whatsoever in that article about "narrowing the gap" except the writer's opinion.

Funny thing is, there isn't any evidence whatsoever in that article about "narrowing the gap" except the writer's opinion.
Yup and quite frankly I'm tired of having to see a Manziel link on page 1 of NFL.com every day with somebody trying to get hits claiming the competition is even close. It looks like Hoyer is pulling away rather easily and will be the week 1 starter. This other crap is just fodder.

Rotoworld:

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi believes an Akron Beacon-Journal report of Johnny Manziel "narrowing the gap" on Brian Hoyer is "media driven."
Manziel outplayed Hoyer in Saturday's scrimmage, but ostensibly Grossi isn't buying that he's gained ground. Manziel also saw a recent uptick in first-team practice reps, although the coaching staff insists that was planned. If Manziel truly wants to "narrow the gap" on Hoyer, he'll continue to outperform him in preseason games. We still consider Hoyer the favorite to start Week 1.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel opened Monday's training camp practice as the starting quarterback.
Manziel has previously been getting first-team reps behind Brian Hoyer, but today was the first time the rookie was the first quarterback on the field. It was planned but notable nonetheless. The Browns are going to give Manziel an opportunity to win the job. The Akron Beacon-Journal reported over the weekend that Manziel was actually "narrowing the gap" on Hoyer, though some believe that report may be "media driven." We still consider Hoyer the favorite to start the opener. Manziel will have to make his move with impressive preseason play.

Related: Brian Hoyer

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

I liked the way the writer titled the article... more media spin IMO.

"Manziel started slow, turned the wrong way on a handoff, and admitted he's adjusting even to hearing plays called from the sidelines. Pettine admits Manziel can't run every time and has to choose his spots, so he has much growth to do in terms of standing in the pocket, making a read, and completing a throw. Kyle Shanahan is an offensive coordinator who wants discipline, and he's already warned that teams will hem in Manziel, and his strength could easily become a weakness.

But Manziel also is a rookie running an offense far more complex than he was used to in college. "Cleveland Browns Daily," the team’s radio show, said one play might have as many as 16 words. That’s a tough adjustment for a guy used to a quick call and quick read and quick throw.

Now he’s doing pre-snap reads, calling protections and going through progressions.

So when he can make something of nothing while he learns, it’s meaningful."

I'd make the argument that we know he can make something from nothing so that really isn't meaningful at this stage of his learning/processing.

Johnny Manziel opened Monday's training camp practice as the starting quarterback.
Manziel has previously been getting first-team reps behind Brian Hoyer, but today was the first time the rookie was the first quarterback on the field. It was planned but notable nonetheless. The Browns are going to give Manziel an opportunity to win the job. The Akron Beacon-Journal reported over the weekend that Manziel was actually "narrowing the gap" on Hoyer, though some believe that report may be "media driven." We still consider Hoyer the favorite to start the opener. Manziel will have to make his move with impressive preseason play.

This goofball is the prime example of what's wrong with the media and the sports world [ESPN has created] of today. It doesn't matter how good he is - it only matters how long he'll last. And it isn't going to be a significant amount of time. You can tell even the Cleveland media believes this just by how much mileage they're getting out of his "events." To paraphrase Billick - "Hoyer is Hoyer and Cleveland is Cleveland. What Manziel does means nothing this year unless you get him in meaningful games." Who here actually believes Cleveland is going to be in a meaningful game this year? Unless the whole city of Cleveland subscribes to the elBJ formula for running a business where the employee is in control, this kid needs to sit until Cleveland has no choice but to play him.

How has this story just gone away quietly? Homeboy is rolling up a bill in a Vegas bathroom and we don't hear another peep about it. :confused:

Manti Te'o falling in love with a dude got a million times the coverage this is getting. Makes no sense. If this kid is a coke-head, I'd kinda like to know about it before my dynasty drafts.

Users who are viewing this thread