What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Watching the play where he has the fullback for the first down and the announcer is critiquing Johnny to make the easy pass... is a perfect example of people not getting him for who he is.

He didn't make that pass because he didn't see it, or hesitated, or missed something. He was buying time for a bigger play knowing they couldn't stop him from the first. This is where he is a genius.. in that extra second he buys by not making the half yard pass. He knows he has the first down with his feet, he was looking for more.
I remember that play. I'm pretty sure he didn't throw it because there was a defender directly between him and the FB and he was worried it would get batted down.

Greg Cossel's take on Manziel from Roos Tucker's Football Podcast out within the last hour.

Cosell has a point of view where he states he's basically evaluating this QB from the traditional pocket passer standard and ofcourse Greg doesn't like what he saw based off of that POV.

Greg wasn't a Johnny fan in the pre-draft evaluations and he's not changed a jot.

Go to the 12:00 minute mark to hear his take on Manziel.

He also gives his take on Jacksonvile QB Blake Bortles right after Manziel who he loved and he also loved Arizona rookie QB Logan Thomas. Gave high marks for footwork and stepping up into throws.

He then went into Teddy and he feels the game is a going a tad fast for him right now.

LINK TO PODCAST:

http://www.rosstucker.com/wp/podcasts/ross-tucker-football-podcast/

RTFP #77: Greg Cosell
Greg Cosell joins today's show to...

Just stop kidding yourselves, this guy is this years RG3/Cam/Wilson. He is going to win the freakin job and be fantasy relevant in a big way.

Watching the play where he has the fullback for the first down and the announcer is critiquing Johnny to make the easy pass... is a perfect example of people not getting him for who he is.

He didn't make that pass because he didn't see it, or hesitated, or missed something. He was buying time for a bigger play knowing they couldn't stop him from the first. This is where he is a genius.. in that extra second he buys by not making the half yard pass. He knows he has the first down with his feet, he was looking for more.
I think that's a little ridiculous. He missed the throw, pure and simple. There was a defender in the way at one point, but there was a window for an easy throw before and after. The only other reason I can see is because after he got away from the defender, he thought the defense was too close to the FB. They were a good 5 yards off, so maybe either he didn't feel the guy was "open" (from a college perspective) or he just didn't want to get his FB lit up.

But I think he just missed the throw, because he didn't see it, or hesitated, or missed something. IMO. That was one of his biggest criticisms coming out.

ETA: Would be useful to see the end zone shot of that play.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that you're sticking to your guns and not going homer goggles on this one. Respect.
he actually looked ok for a rookie.just don't see how anyone can predict stardom off of what he did.
He showed exactly what he is capable of doing.

What sort of talent does he have? How was Cam's preseason? Spectacular? It was awful. Don't think anyone thought of rostering him until he started busting it up in the regular season. And that started week 1.

Greg Cossel's take on Manziel from Roos Tucker's Football Podcast out within the last hour.

Cosell has a point of view where he states he's basically evaluating this QB from the traditional pocket passer standard and ofcourse Greg doesn't like what he saw based off of that POV.

Greg wasn't a Johnny fan in the pre-draft evaluations and he's not changed a jot.

Go to the 12:00 minute mark to hear his take on Manziel.

He also gives his take on Jacksonvile QB Blake Bortles right after Manziel who he loved and he also loved Arizona rookie QB Logan Thomas. Gave high marks for footwork and stepping up into throws.

He then went into Teddy and he feels the game is a going a tad fast for him right now.

LINK TO PODCAST:

http://www.rosstucker.com/wp/podcasts/ross-tucker-football-podcast/

RTFP #77: Greg Cosell
Greg Cosell joins today's show to...
He also added that Johnny did not look quick or fast and took at least 4 big hits. He went on to note that Johnny's big run came after one of these big hits and he seemed to leave the pocket very early.

He also added that Johnny did not look quick or fast and took at least 4 big hits. He went on to note that Johnny's big run came after one of these big hits and he seemed to leave the pocket very early.
The number 1 problem I've had with his game has been him bailing on clean pockets. He will not be successful in the NFL if he continues to do it.

I fully expect fans of Cleveland to buy in to the hype. I fully expect the rest of the football world to be skeptical. And I fully expect the two sides to see two completely different things when watching. The key here is that there are a ton of people watching. And that's what the Browns' brass was hoping for (and the NFL for that matter).

I watched a ton of his collegiate career and was thoroughly entertained. I don't care for the kid, personally, and think a few honest-to-goodness NFL hits will do him some good. But I'll watch.

The number 1 problem I've had with his game has been him bailing on clean pockets. He will not be successful in the NFL if he continues to do it.
I think if he consistently gets to the second read and still makes good decisions all will be well. Yeah, it'd be great if he can get beyond that, but with his skill set he can make due with two then improv.

If I were to make one knee-jerk point about game 1, it's going to take some time to coach the start by looking down field then working your way short out of him. Sometimes the defense will give you short and only short, he's gotta see that.

Cossell kind of said something relating to your point. He said that he doesnt know how instances like this play in his (Manziel's) meetings. He said that's going to play a big part in this. If Shannahan is looking at that 16 yard run and saying "good job" than this is obviously going to be something that doesnt change.

I think he is asking why you are surprised at the skeptics.
That'll teach me to try to multi task.

Browns homer's are usually all rose colored glasses at this point, they're not this time. The anti crowd is still anti, but they're just not being that vocal. They seem to be watching waiting for him to screw up. Why they're doing it with Manziel and most did not with Quinn, McCoy, Weeden, etc. No clue. That's what surprises me.

That'll teach me to try to multi task.Browns homer's are usually all rose colored glasses at this point, they're not this time. The anti crowd is still anti, but they're just not being that vocal. They seem to be watching waiting for him to screw up. Why they're doing it with Manziel and most did not with Quinn, McCoy, Weeden, etc. No clue. That's what surprises me.
I have absolutely no idea what any of this means.

Browns homer's are usually all rose colored glasses at this point, they're not this time. The anti crowd is still anti, but they're just not being that vocal. They seem to be watching waiting for him to screw up. Why they're doing it with Manziel and most did not with Quinn, McCoy, Weeden, etc. No clue. That's what surprises me.
Because Johnny is another animal entirely from the players listed. Even the skeptics and haters (panther) can see and feel it.

Because Johnny is another animal entirely from the players listed. Even the skeptics and haters (panther) can see and feel it.
True, just perplexing how a fanbase can spin those QB's into the possible answer while they can't with this guy. Those guys suck, and they always sucked. Even when they played well, for them, they still didn't play that well.

True, just perplexing how a fanbase can spin those QB's into the possible answer while they can't with this guy. Those guys suck, and they always sucked. Even when they played well, for them, they still didn't play that well.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but Cleveland is a very blue-collar town, yes?

Johnny late to a meeting on Monday
Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen reports Johnny Manziel was late to a team meeting on Monday.
Mort is under the impression Manziel and a few other Browns rookies simply "misread the schedule," but it's believed Johnny Football was fined. Adam Schefter reported Thursday night that there "seems to be a feeling within the organization that Brian Hoyer wins" the Browns' starting job "in the event of a tie." Schefter believes Cleveland's second preseason game will essentially decide the battle, because all along the plan has been to pick a starter before the third exhibition game. There are no indications that Manziel's tardiness will play a role in coach Mike Pettine's quarterback decision.

Aug 14 - 7:05 PM

As training camp ends and the regular season gets closer, Manziel is doing his best to downplay expectations. In one media gaggle Saturday, he said, “I need to stay in my lane,” and, “I don’t look at it that I was drafted to come in Day 1 and save the franchise,” and learning the offense “is a process,” and “I’ve only played one game,” and “my expectations are not through the roof.”
This reminds me a little of Billy Joe Hobert. And it also reminded me of the comment someone made here that maybe it would have been better if the Browns had not announced he would not be the starter so early in the process. He doesn't seem to think he needs top be ready for Week 1. If he was Scott Tolzien or Chase Daniel he would have to think in terms of being ready.

http://espn.go.com/blog/cleveland-browns

As training camp ends and the regular season gets closer, Manziel is doing his best to downplay expectations. In one media gaggle Saturday, he said, “I need to stay in my lane,” and, “I don’t look at it that I was drafted to come in Day 1 and save the franchise,” and learning the offense “is a process,” and “I’ve only played one game,” and “my expectations are not through the roof.”
This reminds me a little of Billy Joe Hobert. And it also reminded me of the comment someone made here that maybe it would have been better if the Browns had not announced he would not be the starter so early in the process. He doesn't seem to think he needs top be ready for Week 1. If he was Scott Tolzien or Chase Daniel he would have to think in terms of being ready.

What players say to the media has less to do with what they actually think and mostly with what they think the media/coaches want to hear.

What players say to the media has less to do with what they actually think and mostly with what they think the media/coaches want to hear.
I think that's progressively less true as time goes on...

Users who are viewing this thread