What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (8 Viewers)

I am a little surprised there isn't more discussion about what is apparetly about to happen here. Manziel is going to probabloy start next week on a team in playoff contention, with a good run game and defense, which is a far cry better than how it was looking in the offseason and preseason.

But an NFL team doesn't place one of the most high-profile rookie quarterbacks of the past decade into a game with playoff hopes distant but alive and watch him score a touchdown on his first NFL drive, then return to the previous quarterback. It says so in NFL Bylaw 12.2.JF.PLAYNO2.
The last part is kind of juvenile, but I see the point.

Manziel helped his cause with a commanding 80-yard drive in his first action. That 24-yard throw to Jim Dray that squeezed through a surging defender was strong. The athleticism and arm strength are there, but clearly the Browns will need to keep Manziel comfortable. He can handle the play-action and the no-huddle.
So as long as they're running the ball well and as long as there's no time to make defensive adjustments they should be fine.

But I don't see how Fowler can be taken seriously if he doesn't mention this play:

3rd and 6 at CLE 18(2:58) (Shotgun) J.Manziel FUMBLES (Aborted) at CLV 12, and recovers at CLV 8. J.Manziel to CLV 4 for -4 yards (K.Williams). FUMBLES (K.Williams), RECOVERED by BUF-N.Robey at CLV -8. TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Official challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) J.Manziel FUMBLES (Aborted) at CLV 12, and recovers at CLV 8. J.Manziel pass incomplete short left (K.Williams).
Can someone describe what happened here? I had heard/read this was a bad call by the refs and should have been a TD for Buffalo.

Last edited by a moderator:
feels like we've seen this before...

Tebow Tebow Tebow

not sure about the long-shot wins, though
Say whatever anyone will about Tebow, on several occasions he was a good FF play. He would usually get around 45-60 running plus maybe 1 TD rushing, 1 passing, plus whatever passing yards he eked out along with probably an interception.

I am a little surprised there isn't more discussion about what is apparetly about to happen here. Manziel is going to probabloy start next week on a team in playoff contention, with a good run game and defense, which is a far cry better than how it was looking in the offseason and preseason.

But an NFL team doesn't place one of the most high-profile rookie quarterbacks of the past decade into a game with playoff hopes distant but alive and watch him score a touchdown on his first NFL drive, then return to the previous quarterback. It says so in NFL Bylaw 12.2.JF.PLAYNO2.
The last part is kind of juvenile, but I see the point.

Manziel helped his cause with a commanding 80-yard drive in his first action. That 24-yard throw to Jim Dray that squeezed through a surging defender was strong. The athleticism and arm strength are there, but clearly the Browns will need to keep Manziel comfortable. He can handle the play-action and the no-huddle.
So as long as they're running the ball well and as long as there's no time to make defensive adjustments they should be fine.

But I don't see how Fowler can be taken seriously if he doesn't mention this play:

3rd and 6 at CLE 18(2:58) (Shotgun) J.Manziel FUMBLES (Aborted) at CLV 12, and recovers at CLV 8. J.Manziel to CLV 4 for -4 yards (K.Williams). FUMBLES (K.Williams), RECOVERED by BUF-N.Robey at CLV -8. TOUCHDOWN. The Replay Official challenged the incomplete pass ruling, and the play was REVERSED. (Shotgun) J.Manziel FUMBLES (Aborted) at CLV 12, and recovers at CLV 8. J.Manziel pass incomplete short left (K.Williams).
Can someone describe what happened here? I had heard/read this was a bad call by the refs and should have been a TD for Buffalo.
williams was in his face and johnny went to throw the ball but it hit williams shoulder pad and was coming back into johnny's hand. the ball continued threw his hand and onto the ground. at this point johnny was on the ground pancaked by williams and the bills picked up the ball for an apparent touchdown.

feels like we've seen this before...

Tebow Tebow Tebow

not sure about the long-shot wins, though
Say whatever anyone will about Tebow, on several occasions he was a good FF play. He would usually get around 45-60 running plus maybe 1 TD rushing, 1 passing, plus whatever passing yards he eked out along with probably an interception.
Tebow helped me in the playoffs a few years ago. With the weather getting colder, those rushing yards could put you over the top in a matchup against a dropback passer. Look at Manning last night, pedestrian numbers in the cold/playing with a lead.

Ok found a gif, this look like it was a ludicrously bad call and should have been a fumble-6 on Manziel.

http://www.diehardsport.com/nfl/johnny-manziel-botches-snap-fumbles-bills-recover-td/

He was overwhelmed there. Reminds me of the freshman getting in to practice with the varsity there.
Their are two things about this vine clip.

1. After the Browns lost Pro Bowl center Alex Mack they tried to fill in with Jon Greco at center which forced them to start the horrible Paul McQuistan at Greco's guard position thus creating a clusterF at two positions. That only lasted one game before the Browns used a rookie center Nick McDonald who was in over his head for the first few games but was coming around but early in the Buffalo game he got hurt so the Browns were using a backup OT Michael Bowie in at center. So its very-possible that Bowie blew the snap count because Johnny wasn't expecting it which created the fumble in the first place.

2. Johnny's body language after he got knocked down. He LITERALLY throws his hands up over his head in an 'I surrender' position instead of getting up scrambling for the ball.

Obviously it was a fumble and blown call by the refs. Hate the tuck rule, complete utter BS. Much too long under the hood on that reversal and the same with Manziel's fumble but Johnny can't completely give up on a play on any level especially body language that everyone can read.

Ok found a gif, this look like it was a ludicrously bad call and should have been a fumble-6 on Manziel.

http://www.diehardsport.com/nfl/johnny-manziel-botches-snap-fumbles-bills-recover-td/

He was overwhelmed there. Reminds me of the freshman getting in to practice with the varsity there.
Their are two things about this vine clip.

1. After the Browns lost Pro Bowl center Alex Mack they tried to fill in with Jon Greco at center which forced them to start the horrible Paul McQuistan at Greco's guard position thus creating a clusterF at two positions. That only lasted one game before the Browns used a rookie center Nick McDonald who was in over his head for the first few games but was coming around but early in the Buffalo game he got hurt so the Browns were using a backup OT Michael Bowie in at center. So its very-possible that Bowie blew the snap count because Johnny wasn't expecting it which created the fumble in the first place.

2. Johnny's body language after he got knocked down. He LITERALLY throws his hands up over his head in an 'I surrender' position instead of getting up scrambling for the ball.

Obviously it was a fumble and blown call by the refs. Hate the tuck rule, complete utter BS. Much too long under the hood on that reversal and the same with Manziel's fumble but Johnny can't completely give up on a play on any level especially body language that everyone can read.
I noticed No. 2 as well. That is bad if that's just him. - It occurred to me was just literally trucked so perhaps that was what was going on. Browns fans better hope so.

On Johnny/Tebow comparisons. Eh not really.

Tebow was built like a fullback and he ran like one. Johnny is built like Drew Brees but scrambles like Russell Wilson. Johnny also is a much-MUCH better passer than Tebow and that is the reason why Tim is out of the league but saying a QB is a better passer than Tim Tebow is like a slap in the face. Johnny has LOTS to work on with his passing game but he is definitely better than Tebow.

Some stats to ponder for Sunday, should Johnny get the start.

31 out of 47 for 392 yards, 3 touchdowns 0 interceptions along with 3 rushing attempts for 12 yards 4 fumbles 1 lost

The above are the stats that former Browns QB Colt McCoy put up going against the Indianapolis Colts yesterday.

I doubt Johnny could equal the passing stats but he could run better. In less than one half he posted 9.7 fantasy points as apposed to the 3.6 that Brian Hoyer had in three quarters against the Bills.

Against the Colts who gets the start? I dunno but if Colt McCoy could do that then I think either could have decent stats.

Adam Levitan's latest Waiver Wired column has this to say about Manziel as a WW pickup:

[SIZE=small]Johnny Manziel, Browns – Owned in 13 percent of Yahoo leagues[/SIZE]
I fully expect Johnny Manziel to get the nod over Brian Hoyer in Week 14. The real question is what will he do with the opportunity and how will the Browns use him? We got a glimpse during Manziel’s two drives Sunday, as Kyle Shanahan called three bootlegs on JFF’s first five snaps. Expect Shanny to install a very run-heavy gameplan, much like he did when he was in charge of the Redskins’ offense during Robert Griffin III’s rookie year. That’s OK though, as we saw a designed pass out of a shoutgun turn into a 10-yard touchdown run for Manziel Sunday. I also thought JFF was highly accurate with his throws and had excellent zip on them, encouraging signs when we’re mainly betting on a player’s legs to fill the box score. I’ll give him a pass on the overturned fumble-6 as he simply wasn’t ready for the snap. Moreover, Manziel has Josh Gordon on his side and could get Jordan Cameron (concussion) back. He’ll also be at home against a Colts defense that falls apart without Vontae Davis (concussion, questionable). In 130 preseason snaps (roughly two games), Manziel went 30-of-59 for 296 yards with two TDs and 0 INT. He also rushed 12 times for 88 yards with another TD. Given the spot I’m comfortable ranking Manziel as a top-14 QB play this week, with upside for more. He’s someone I’d strongly consider for $6700 in FanDuel 50/50s, Double Ups and Head-to-Head matchups.
Recommendation: Should be owned in 12-team leagues

I think it's cute when teams bench the guy that has them within striking distance of taking their division for a rookie.
They have given Hoyer a LOT of rope imo.
I think they should wait until they're out of contention before going to Manziel. They're still very much in it. If Manziel loses the next two games and knocks themselves out of it...then what?
I'm completely neutral. I'm not sure Johnny would come in and score less or do much worse than a 46 QBR.

At the same time, it seems odd to keep him on the bench through the easy part of the schedule only to throw him into the fire with the teams coming up. I always thought the JAX game was the time to do it if ever.

Adam Levitan's latest Waiver Wired column has this to say about Manziel as a WW pickup:

[SIZE=small]Johnny Manziel, Browns – Owned in 13 percent of Yahoo leagues[/SIZE]

I fully expect Johnny Manziel to get the nod over Brian Hoyer in Week 14. The real question is what will he do with the opportunity and how will the Browns use him? We got a glimpse during Manziel’s two drives Sunday, as Kyle Shanahan called three bootlegs on JFF’s first five snaps. Expect Shanny to install a very run-heavy gameplan, much like he did when he was in charge of the Redskins’ offense during Robert Griffin III’s rookie year. That’s OK though, as we saw a designed pass out of a shoutgun turn into a 10-yard touchdown run for Manziel Sunday. I also thought JFF was highly accurate with his throws and had excellent zip on them, encouraging signs when we’re mainly betting on a player’s legs to fill the box score. I’ll give him a pass on the overturned fumble-6 as he simply wasn’t ready for the snap. Moreover, Manziel has Josh Gordon on his side and could get Jordan Cameron (concussion) back. He’ll also be at home against a Colts defense that falls apart without Vontae Davis (concussion, questionable). In 130 preseason snaps (roughly two games), Manziel went 30-of-59 for 296 yards with two TDs and 0 INT. He also rushed 12 times for 88 yards with another TD. Given the spot I’m comfortable ranking Manziel as a top-14 QB play this week, with upside for more. He’s someone I’d strongly consider for $6700 in FanDuel 50/50s, Double Ups and Head-to-Head matchups.

Yaknow, it must be funny to be a Browns fan right now. All of a sudden people want to talk about the Browns. All of a sudden their QB controversy takes center stage on radio, on tv, online and in the papers.

RW and the rest are generating clicks. I'm not sure I understand how they make money off of it, but people want to see Manziel so the purveyors of sport talk give the people what they want.

Really hope this turd starts so I can start Indy
:shark:
Oh yes, because Hoyer at the helm really screams "bench Indy's D"
Well up until a couple weeks ago Cleveland was actually the lowest (best) FFP allowed to opposing defenses. Lower than Denver, lower than NE. They're still at No. 28, or 5th best. - The Browns were still at 3-0, then down just 7-3, when West fumbled in the 3rd quarter of the Bills game. - Hoyer has had his accuracy issues but I don't recall too many pick/fumble 6's. That West fumble6 was the first defensive score the team has allowed all year in fact.

Now, Manziel came in and yes he had one garbage time drive for a TD, but next drive he missed the snap count, got rammed into the turf and fumbled the ball into his own end zone for what should have been an easy Bills scoop'n'score.

I think it's cute when teams bench the guy that has them within striking distance of taking their division for a rookie.
I think they should wait until they're out of contention before going to Manziel. They're still very much in it. If Manziel loses the next two games and knocks themselves out of it...then what?
Contention for what (exactly)?

Hoyer has back-to-back stinkers here... Hoyer is not taking the Brownies to the Super Bowl... I think he hit his ceiling against the Bengals.

I think they have to give Johnny Football his shot here. Maybe they catch lightning in a bottle. They drafted him to be the franchise, the book on Hoyer is complete, let's see if the kid can give the offense a boost. That scrambling ability alone would be a major headache for DC's with Gordon running around and Crowell pounding it.

:2cents:

If Manziel is named the starter, I think the biggest question is how much will he run. We have seen this year Russell Wilson have very lackluster passing numbers but his value is boosted heavily by his large running numbers.

I don't think anyone expect's Manziel to go crazy in the passing department, although it helps to have Gordon, but if Manziel runs like he did in college it is feasible he could run for 100 yards in a game.

Also, keep in mind this week that the Colts best defensive player Vontae Davis was hurt last week and his availability is in question for this week. That would definitely help Manziel. Also, it is unlikely the Browns will be able to stop Luck from scoring a ton of points so sticking to the run game late might be impossible.

If he does play this week I think the matchup sets up well for him him to post pretty big numbers.

Related?

Because that's all that's in his corner at this point.

If they play Hoyer, they ARE out of contention.

Have you watched the games? Manziel got more rushing yards in his first drive as a pro than Hoyer had ALL year.

The change should have happened after the Atlanta game. Hoyer tried to give it away twice. A more experienced coach would have made the switch earlier. Hoyer is done as a starter.

Manziel has had time to get up to speed, it's not week two, it's week 14 and he has progressed every week in practice.

This is not a hard call.

You start Hoyer and he continues to crap the bed, you'll be down 3 scores before you can spit, Cleveland fans will boo him out of the stadium and yes manziel will finally play but the game will likely be lost.

Start Manziel and let him run the defense sideline to sideline, something not in Hoyers DNA, and you open up the whole offense.

The change should have happened after the Atlanta game. Hoyer tried to give it away twice. A more experienced coach would have made the switch earlier. Hoyer is done as a starter.
Agreed. I really think starting Hoyer against BUF was the "dance with who brought us" gesture. As they creep closer to .500, gotta make the switch.

Is the goal to "hope" to with the division at 9-7 and get blasted out of the play-offs, or is it to progress to something greater?

If I felt Hoyer would get us to the playoffs I'd say ride it out. Get everyone else the experience. Don't think that's going to happen though. Have to go 3-1 and that might not even do it.

Going to a rookie QB is not the guaranteed throw-in-the-towel disaster some make it out to be. Look to Cleveland's rival to the east for example. Different circumstance got him on the field, but it worked out OK.

Yaknow, it must be funny to be a Browns fan right now. All of a sudden people want to talk about the Browns. All of a sudden their QB controversy takes center stage on radio, on tv, online and in the papers.

RW and the rest are generating clicks. I'm not sure I understand how they make money off of it, but people want to see Manziel so the purveyors of sport talk give the people what they want.
RW comment on Hoyer getting the start:

Wow, Manziel must really suck.
Yep, Pettine & Co. are looking at game film and must not have liked what they saw.
Or they just like Hoyer more?

Is it hard to imagine that this is Hoyer's season with the Browns to the end. While they have Johnny in the stable they are doing what a smart franchise should do, DEVELOPE HIM behind someone so that he can learn the NFL game right.

Some of the best QBs in the last 20 years

Luck - started out of college

Rodgers - sat behind Favre

Brees - sat behind Flutie

Brady - sat behind Bledsoe

Manning - started out of college

McNabb - started out of college (if not mistaken he was really protected and not asked to throw much in the beginning)

Warner - '94 had training camp with Favre, Brunell, Detmer then Arena football then sat behind Bono/Banks

Young - sat behind Montana

While we all get caught up in the new face I think this is where its the coach and GMs responsibility to keep the course.

Wow, Manziel must really suck.
Yep, Pettine & Co. are looking at game film and must not have liked what they saw.

Is it hard to imagine that this is Hoyer's season with the Browns to the end. While they have Johnny in the stable they are doing what a smart franchise should do, DEVELOPE HIM behind someone so that he can learn the NFL game right.

Some of the best QBs in the last 20 years

Luck - started out of college

Rodgers - sat behind Favre

Brees - sat behind Flutie

Brady - sat behind Bledsoe

Manning - started out of college

McNabb - started out of college (if not mistaken he was really protected and not asked to throw much in the beginning)

Warner - '94 had training camp with Favre, Brunell, Detmer then Arena football then sat behind Bono/Banks

Young - sat behind Montana

While we all get caught up in the new face I think this is where its the coach and GMs responsibility to keep the course.
McNabb did not start until week 10 of his rookie season. The Eagles brought in Doug Pederson for that season just to be a placeholder for McNabb. He was also familiar with the offense and Reid since they both came from the Packers.

Possible. And scary.

In Hoyer's last 5 games, he has failed to have a positive TD/INT ratio. And in that 6th game, it was 1-0, against the Raiders. Having a strong running game, and defense, and throwing 2+ picks against not TDs is no bueno.

However, the team is in the playoff hunt, and Hoyer has shown he can be a game manager.

This isn't about Manziel's development. It's about the Browns winning games, and trying to get to, and win in, the playoffs.

Possible. And scary.

In Hoyer's last 5 games, he has failed to have a positive TD/INT ratio. And in that 6th game, it was 1-0, against the Raiders. Having a strong running game, and defense, and throwing 2+ picks against not TDs is no bueno.

However, the team is in the playoff hunt, and Hoyer has shown he can be a game manager.

This isn't about Manziel's development. It's about the Browns winning games, and trying to get to, and win in, the playoffs.
I didn't say they thought Hoyer was a great QB but just at the current time they think he is a better QB for them is what I meant. I also don't think they are holding Manziel out for development's sake but it is a positive to take away from the situation, hopefully its burning a fire in Manziel's heart to show the doubters wrong (part of the reason I feel Rodgers is so great for the packers and what has added to an already good work ethic).

Possible. And scary.

But they wouldn't even be in the playoff discussion if Hoyer didn't have 2 turnovers through the first 7 games

They should stick with Hoyer but if he comes out struggling they shouldn't be afraid to make the change....They have to do whatever is necessary to stay in the hunt.

Possible. And scary.

But they wouldn't even be in the playoff discussion if Hoyer didn't have 2 turnovers through the first 7 games
Ah, fun with arbitrary end points. it's a fun game.

Hoyer has scuffled in games against teams with stiff fronts. That's been a constant throughout. No run game and pressure up the middle and he just can't do the job. He won't have that issue Sunday nor either of the next two games though.

Now, a different Hoyer has surfaced since Gordon came back. He's forcing it and pressing like he hadn't done before the Atlanta game. If he keeps that up then it doesn't matter how soft the Colts D is up front.

Users who are viewing this thread