What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (1 Viewer)

Or they just like Hoyer more?
Possible. And scary.

In Hoyer's last 5 games, he has failed to have a positive TD/INT ratio. And in that 6th game, it was 1-0, against the Raiders. Having a strong running game, and defense, and throwing 2+ picks against not TDs is no bueno.

However, the team is in the playoff hunt, and Hoyer has shown he can be a game manager.

This isn't about Manziel's development. It's about the Browns winning games, and trying to get to, and win in, the playoffs.
But they wouldn't even be in the playoff discussion if Hoyer didn't have 2 turnovers through the first 7 games
:goodposting:

Possible. And scary.

In Hoyer's last 5 games, he has failed to have a positive TD/INT ratio. And in that 6th game, it was 1-0, against the Raiders. Having a strong running game, and defense, and throwing 2+ picks against not TDs is no bueno.

However, the team is in the playoff hunt, and Hoyer has shown he can be a game manager.

This isn't about Manziel's development. It's about the Browns winning games, and trying to get to, and win in, the playoffs.
But they wouldn't even be in the playoff discussion if Hoyer didn't have 2 turnovers through the first 7 games
That reads like Hoyer was a big part of them winning. He just wasn't losing games.

And that's my point. Job #1: Don't turn it over.

Here we go

Aditi Kinkhabwala ‏@AKinkhabwala 7m7 minutes ago

Browns LT Joe Thomas acknowledges if QB switch to a rookie was made then "the message is you're already playing for next year."
There is a whole team to consider here. There's a good chance the coaching staff could lose the locker room if Manziel lost them games..
Uh huh, not surprised this vet sided with Hoyer and I'll bet most of the vets feel the same. I'll bet they would also get it if Hoyer stunk it up and they went to Manziel at halftime Sunday.

Here we go

Browns LT Joe Thomas acknowledges if QB switch to a rookie was made then "the message is you're already playing for next year."
There is a whole team to consider here. There's a good chance the coaching staff could lose the locker room if Manziel lost them games..
Uh huh, not surprised this vet sided with Hoyer and I'll bet most of the vets feel the same. I'll bet they would also get it if Hoyer stunk it up and they went to Manziel at halftime Sunday.
Ask Mike Shanahan how the move from Plummer to Cutler worked out for him and the Broncos.

Last seventeen minutes of last night's Audible was a fairly heated discussion on QB Johnny Manziel.

Link in case you missed it.

Go to 1:26 minute mark to here the debate, FWIW Cecil made a great point that was overlooked concerning the fact the Browns have not started Manziel and he has had discussions to that point with Schefter where they speculate the team hasn't given him a chance because they don't think he's ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsPo8hcmMZg

--------

Then in a local pod that goes much-MUCH more detailed into many things concerning the team that relates to the QB position they also say Manziel isn't ready and its due to the fact he's immature but they also rip the rookie running backs and REALLY lay into WR Josh Gordon, see the Josh Gordon thread where I did a transcription of a portion of where they rip into Josh Gordon.

These guys are great, they not only rip into the players they lambaste the Browns fans who they know are going to boo Brian Hoyer just because they want Johnny Manziel, I love it.

Per Johnny go to the 21:00 minute mark where they RIP into Manziel for not being prepared. They talk about how the Browns made the announcement that QB Brian Hoyer would start and less than five minutes later Johnny's agent put out a press release that Johnny Manziel made the front and back covers of Sports Illustrated with the Johnny Boggie Snickers ad. They say it shows how out of touch Johnny is and his agent and everyone around him. They said he got his ### sat because he wasn't prepared.

They go into a funny locker room DT Gerard Warren stories that aren't PG rated and I won't share here but G-Money failed because he was too immature and just didn't get it, no awareness, tone death with obvious overtures to Johnny Manziel who doesn't get it. Dre told of a former defensive lineman who said that the majority of first round picks don't get it the first year because they don't have to work hard and both of the Browns first round picks are not playing in week thirteen this year. Free agent QB Brian Hoyer starting over Johnny Manziel and free agent CB Kewuan Williams starting over the 8th pick of the first round CB Justin Gilbert.

http://603brown.com/2014/12/03/atoz-the-manziel-hoyer-edition/

Zac- Johnny Manziel is a non-football celebrity and the Cleveland Browns will not put him in the game even with Brian Hoyer being statistically the worst starting quarterback in the NFL.

I'm not going to transcribe the entire pod. These guys just rip into the attitude of, Manziel, rookie RB Terrance West, WR Josh Gordon, CB Justin Gilbert, and even rookie RB Isaiah Crowell.

The point they keep coming back around to is Johnny Manziel ain't starting and their is a reason for it, he's not ready and is out partying and he just doesn't get it but they feel the fans don't get it either and I think they make some great points so check out the pod if you haven't.

Possible. And scary.

That reads like Hoyer was a big part of them winning. He just wasn't losing games.

And that's my point. Job #1: Don't turn it over.
He was a big part of them winning. He obviously wasn't resembling Joe Montana but the fact is he's led four game-winning drives and put up better than average numbers in most - definitely not all, but most - of their wins despite a sub-par cast of receivers. I don't think you're going to convince Pettine that Hoyer hasn't been a big part of them winning games. But I also agree with the guys that say the locker room will understand a switch if Hoyer continues to slump badly.

Bracie Smathers said:
tone death
That sounds painful.
Comes from having to listen to Red Hot Chili Peppers in a fish processing camp in Valdez Alaska on a 17 hour shift with horrible speakers standing in four inches of fish guts and blood to the point it drives you mad. Mad I say. When death comes you lovingly embrace it.

Not that I'm speaking from experience but I still loathe the Chili Peppers with a festering passion. :rant:

Here we go

what a total gutless punk. if a black player said something so weakminded he would get destroyed by the media.
:whoosh:

Joe Thomas is highly respected in the locker room. He was not being a lone wolf here. He was telling it like it is.

Gutless punk? Try veteran leadership.

say it with me now,

Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, Tebow
Agent Maxwell Smart might say.

'Missed it by thaaat much.'

Tebow -

• 6-2¾, 236 lbs
Manziel -

• 5-11¾, 204 lbs
Here is the biggest discrepancy with the Tebow = Manziel chatter...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/news/story?id=4984943

NFL Draft 2010 Report: Tebow below average on test... he graduated with a 3.66 GPA majoring in family, youth and community services.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/04/johnny-manziel-wonderlic-nfl-draft
Johnny Manziel's Wonderlic score was the highest of any QB in 2014 draft

you can probably find a lot of differences between the 2 of them.

What they do have in common is the rabid TMZ-type media/fan following. like calling Joe Thomas gutless for pointing out the obvious.

What they do have in common is the rabid TMZ-type media/fan following. like calling Joe Thomas gutless for pointing out the obvious.
If anyone makes a knee jerk TMZ comparison of Tim Tebow to Johnny Manziel they aren't trying or trying too hard and are contorting like Beckam.

Cecil was around Timmy and he's made references to Tebow being sharp as a marble, having a few shingles missing off his Space Shuttle, and saying the cheese has slid off his cracker.

Tebow and Manziel aren't close as players on the field and vastly different as people off the field. Its about as tortured comparison as anyone can attempt before bringing up the main reason why Timmy failed according to Lammey, he was too dumb.

That won't be the issue should Manziel fail. He's smart enough.

If anyone makes a knee jerk TMZ comparison of Tim Tebow to Johnny Manziel they aren't trying or trying too hard and are contorting like Beckam.
no idea what this means, but the Manziel pre-draft coverage, off-field coverage, non-stop espn/tmz-standard media dedication and the type of overall rabid fanbase reaction has been virtually identical to Tebow's. I 'm not going to belabor the point, but if you don't see the similarity in the media phenom TT was and Manziel is I don't know what else to say aside from...

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny, Johnny (sung to the rhythm of Tebow, Tebow, Tebow, Tebow)

Here we go

what a total gutless punk. if a black player said something so weakminded he would get destroyed by the media.
:whoosh:

Joe Thomas is highly respected in the locker room. He was not being a lone wolf here. He was telling it like it is.

with leadership like this, the browns lack of success and overall dysfunction should not be at all surprising. how many coaches has joe thomas outlasted in a short amount of time? how many lackluster and uninspiring performances have joe thomas led teams displayed?

Here we go

:whoosh: Joe Thomas is highly respected in the locker room. He was not being a lone wolf here. He was telling it like it is.

with leadership like this, the browns lack of success and overall dysfunction should not be at all surprising. how many coaches has joe thomas outlasted in a short amount of time? how many lackluster and uninspiring performances have joe thomas led teams displayed?
I thought your first post was in want of nuance. Apparently that was no fluke.

Not sure how many caught yesterday's pre-game show that showed Brian Hoyer was at the stadium and then two hours later the cameras were rolling when this guy showed up at 11:00 AM for the 1:00 PM kickoff:

-------------------

Daryl Ruiter @RuiterWrongFAN · 14m 14 minutes ago

Hoyer when asked about Manziel showing up at 11 for the game "Oh I don't know anything about that"

------------------

Johnny Manziel only turned 22 a few days ago, he's young and he has a lot to learn about preparing because that matters to NFL teams especially when they see others who prepare the way they should.

Johnny can free-lance and scramble without any preparation but to succeed he's gotta put in the work. Doing just enough works for most jobs but some jobs require more then just enough in terms of, time, focus, attitude, etc. et el.

Its not hating on Johnny to say he's gotta do more than what he's shown even if he comes in and free-lances some big plays to become one of the best NFL QBs and to sustain that level of play he has to put in the sort of work and prepare like others do.

Brian Hoyer - 'someone needs to make a play on offense'. :lmao:

In other words - 'I can't do it all myself'. 'Someone needs to run faster than humanly possible to catch the ball I over threw by 10 yards.' 'Someone needs to jump higher than any human has in recorded history to catch my overthrows.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel's decision to attend a Cavaliers game last Tuesday night was reportedly "seen by some within the organization as a tangible piece of evidence regarding Manziel's failure to work as hard as he should to prepare himself to play."

The report comes from PFT as a follow-up to Jay Glazer's initial report on how the Browns ended up settling on Brian Hoyer as their Week 14 starter. The Browns had the night off Tuesday, but the narrative states that Manziel should have been at the team complex or home studying his playbook. Now that Hoyer has fallen on his face again, coach Mike Pettine is right back where he was last week. Perhaps Manziel will draw the start this time if he doesn't go to this Tuesday's Raptors at Cavs game.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com
Dec 8 - 10:42 AM

Soulfly3 said:
Players are required to show up at 11.

He was there at 11.

The rest, is 175% non story.
Yeah, he did just enough that is the point.
He showed up at the perfect time for a guy who was going to sit on the sidelines regardless, as the starter proceeded to rack up worst ever records.
I bet Tom Brady didn't show up at 11 when Drew Bledsoe was the QB.

I'm no Manziel fan but I did pick him up as a backup mostly for the entertainment value. If he doesn't study he will fail miserably. He won't be the first. He'll just join bums like Ryan Leaf, Fatamus Russell, Josh Freeman, Matt Leinart among others that I'm pretty sure had no interest in doing film work or that it's even needed to become a great NFL QB. They all probably thought you just go in to the game like in college and throw to wide open guys.

Rotoworld:

A source "connected to the Browns' quarterback situation" estimated to CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora that there's a "99 percent chance" Johnny Manziel starts in Week 15 against the Bengals.
"Maybe even 99.5 percent," La Canfora added. If Browns coach Mike Pettine watched the Week 14 tape, there won't be any doubt. Brian Hoyer left at least 150 passing yards and two touchdowns on the field against the Colts, missing wide open receivers, and was the primary reason Cleveland blew a comfortable lead in its 25-24 defeat. Hoyer has a 1:8 TD-to-INT ratio over his last four games. He's been the NFL's worst quarterback during that span.

Source: Jason La Canfora on Twitter
Dec 8 - 4:01 PM

Here we go

####
Thomas was asked about this after the debacle, er, I mean game, and he said something to the effect of

" don't ask me, I'm not a QB guru"....

Rotoworld:

Appearing on the Monday Night Football halftime show, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Johnny Manziel is expected to start Week 15 against the Bengals.

Not a surprise. CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora put the number at 99 percent that Manziel would start against Cincinnati, supplanting Brian Hoyer. Coach Mike Pettine even hinted Monday evening that he was ready to make the switch, saying "I think it’s natural to lean the other way, given the results, but we still want to make sure we do our due diligence and I get a chance to talk to everybody involved with it." There'd be no reason to "talk to everybody involved" if the Browns were staying the course with Hoyer. Pettine will speak to both players before announcing his decision to the public. Manziel will be under center on Sunday.

Related: Brian Hoyer

Dec 8 - 10:03 PM

I love how far under people's skin this kid gets by doing such awful things as partying in the off season, showing up on time OR a bit early, and rubbing his fingers together.

HE WENT TO A CAVS GAME ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!?!? He will never be ready for Sunday!

I hope my kids don't grow up and make these awful transgressions against all that is decent in this world.

Soulfly3 said:

He was there at 11.

He showed up at the perfect time for a guy who was going to sit on the sidelines regardless, as the starter proceeded to rack up worst ever records.
Ok so if Brady is available they should get him instead.

Soulfly3 said:

He was there at 11.

I bet Brady walked uphill both ways in the snow in the predawn darkness.

If he gets the start, there's a good chance they beat Cincinnati with this guy because there will be no film on his unpredictability. It will be like Tebow when he started plus the ability to throw a football. Glad I picked him up because it will be entertaining.

I love how far under people's skin this kid gets by doing such awful things as partying in the off season, showing up on time OR a bit early, and rubbing his fingers together.

HE WENT TO A CAVS GAME ON A TUESDAY NIGHT!?!? He will never be ready for Sunday!

I hope my kids don't grow up and make these awful transgressions against all that is decent in this world.
***Official Johnny Football Bandwagon card carrying members (INVITE ONLY)***

Steadymobbin

Peyton Marino

Matuski

Last edited by a moderator:

Steadymobbin

Peyton Marino

Matuski
I want in.....show me the money!

Steadymobbin

Peyton Marino

Matuski
:(

Users who are viewing this thread