What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

Peyton Manning's first 4 games: 3 TD's: 11 INT's

Not comparing Peyton to Manziel, but the point is that you guys are jumping on Manziel after 1 game. The kid may be an egomaniac but cut the kid some slack.
Guess what you forgot to mention about Peyton's first 4 games? How about 992 yards. Let's check back after Week 17 and see if Manziel has half that many playing against weaker defenses.

WTF does Johhny Football have to do with Lebron.....and I got over that a long time ago.

He stinks. Realize you wasted a 1st rounder on a dud now so you can look for another QB. He is not ever going to lead this or any other team to a Super Bowl.

If he does....I will eat all the crow.
A 1st rounder isn't even the half of it - it'll be the year plus of wasted time and energy spent on this kid and the opportunity cost of not drafting another qb high which is the true cost of having a Johnny Manziel on your roster.

WTF does Johhny Football have to do with Lebron.....and I got over that a long time ago.

He stinks. Realize you wasted a 1st rounder on a dud now so you can look for another QB. He is not ever going to lead this or any other team to a Super Bowl.

If he does....I will eat all the crow.
A 1st rounder isn't even the half of it - it'll be the year plus of wasted time and energy spent on this kid and the opportunity cost of not drafting another qb high which is the true cost of having a Johnny Manziel on your roster.
But they got rid of TRich in the deal so it all evens out.

Mr. Retukes said:
GridironMenace said:
Peyton Manning's first 4 games: 3 TD's: 11 INT's

Not comparing Peyton to Manziel, but the point is that you guys are jumping on Manziel after 1 game. The kid may be an egomaniac but cut the kid some slack.
Guess what you forgot to mention about Peyton's first 4 games? How about 992 yards. Let's check back after Week 17 and see if Manziel has half that many playing against weaker defenses.
After all the QB's Cleveland has been through, maybe the Brownie fans should set the bar a little lower than Peyton Manning.

Hoping the Carolina D shreads him but they have screwed me before by laying down with a big lead. Fortunately their offense stinks as well so they should not get to far ahead. They won't shut out Johnny Stupid because they always lay down at the end.

It looked rough but the Browns have to see what they have in him. The next 2 weeks are going to be entertaining for everyone but the Browns and their fans.
Disagree. You don't do that until you are out of the playoffs. The Browns would be right in the thick of it with a win yesterday. Playing Manziel made that an impossibility. I would be pissed if I were a Browns fan.
The Browns were in a no-win situation. Hoyer was not playing well and there had to be a ton of pressure from above to play their savior. I never got the hype for Manziel and was just thankful that my team passed on him. Manziel does not seem like he can play in a system. Running around and throwing the ball up like your in the backyard is not going to work in the NFL. I highly doubt Johnny is going to turn things around but it was only one game.

The worst sign for the Browns is that the entire team must have known that Manziel is awful. The team never showed up. That D laid down. Cleveland has bigger issues than just Manziel. The team is lost and they do not have a QB still. Hoyer and Manziel are not the answer.
this post shows the innate bias against this guy. somehow its his fault that his team layed a complete egg.

It looked rough but the Browns have to see what they have in him. The next 2 weeks are going to be entertaining for everyone but the Browns and their fans.
Disagree. You don't do that until you are out of the playoffs. The Browns would be right in the thick of it with a win yesterday. Playing Manziel made that an impossibility. I would be pissed if I were a Browns fan.
The Browns were in a no-win situation. Hoyer was not playing well and there had to be a ton of pressure from above to play their savior. I never got the hype for Manziel and was just thankful that my team passed on him. Manziel does not seem like he can play in a system. Running around and throwing the ball up like your in the backyard is not going to work in the NFL. I highly doubt Johnny is going to turn things around but it was only one game.

The worst sign for the Browns is that the entire team must have known that Manziel is awful. The team never showed up. That D laid down. Cleveland has bigger issues than just Manziel. The team is lost and they do not have a QB still. Hoyer and Manziel are not the answer.
this post shows the innate bias against this guy. somehow its his fault that his team layed a complete egg.
This post shows and extreme bias for this guy. Somehow its not his fault that his team laid a complete egg.

This post shows and extreme bias for this guy. Somehow its not his fault that his team laid a complete egg.
its not his fault that the defense refused to tackle jeremy hill. or that his wr dropped easy passes and refused to get open. that lineman couldnt open holes, that crowell couldnt find holes, that players made dumb penalties.

its not his fault that the defense refused to tackle jeremy hill. or that his wr dropped easy passes and refused to get open. that lineman couldnt open holes, that crowell couldnt find holes, that players made dumb penalties.
Seriously forgetting all of that. He was god awful. Just wretched and one of the worst performances I had ever seen from a supposed NFL QB.

Holy cow was he bad.

ya, he was indeed a terrible qb in the first game of his career, over the course of 18 passes.
add that on to his preseason, his inabilities and his behavior and that's recipe for failure he will never win more than 10 games in the nfl
he was fine in the preseason. his "behaviors" are just media driven narrative.
Too bad pre-season football is garbage and means absolutely nothing.

Let me know when he gives his HOF speech.

ya, he was indeed a terrible qb in the first game of his career, over the course of 18 passes.
add that on to his preseason, his inabilities and his behavior and that's recipe for failure he will never win more than 10 games in the nfl
he was fine in the preseason. his "behaviors" are just media driven narrative.
Too bad pre-season football is garbage and means absolutely nothing.

Let me know when he gives his HOF speech.
are you dense? well, ya, obv.

next time try to follow the simple conversation. it will save you from looking like an idiot.

That was pathetic yesterday. Hamstring injury?!? pffffttttt

Manziel looked like he didn't want to be out there at all. The defense played admirably to keep the game close and Manziel couldn't muster up a solid drive to take advantage. I don't see how an off season of training is going to help his game, when he had TC, preseason, and 15 weeks to sit, learn, and work on his craft. He looked absolutely horrible out there yesterday.

Manziel looked like he didn't want to be out there at all. The defense played admirably to keep the game close and Manziel couldn't muster up a solid drive to take advantage. I don't see how an off season of training is going to help his game, when he had TC, preseason, and 15 weeks to sit, learn, and work on his craft. He looked absolutely horrible out there yesterday.
and slow. I thought speed was his forte? Being small, slow, having a weak arm and a complete dbag arent really the makings of a NFL QB.

and slow. I thought speed was his forte? Being small, slow, having a weak arm and a complete dbag arent really the makings of a NFL QB.
Speed may have been a strength in college, but everybody can run in the NFL. The worst team in the NFL would crush and embarrass the best the NCAA has to throw out there. Manziel wouldn't be the first "greatest college football player" to not be able to hack it in the NFL.

Now Johnny Football has had a taste, and he can decide whether this is what he really wants to do, or just go back to Texas and suckle off the family nest egg.

Last edited by a moderator:

Out of the league by 2016.

can the browns trade for cutler? Sure it wouldnt help the actual team at all... but we'd get fantasy production.

sincerely,

Gordon/Cameron owners

Speed may have been a strength in college, but everybody can run in the NFL. The worst team in the NFL would crush and embarrass the best the NCAA has to throw out there. Manziel wouldn't be the first "greatest college football player" to not be able to hack it in the NFL.

Now Johnny Football has had a taste, and he can decide whether this is what he really wants to do, or just go back to Texas and suckle off the family nest egg.
that was awesome when he tried to outrun one of the best middle linebackers in the NFL, then he got back up thought "Oh ####" and dropped right back down

can the browns trade for cutler? Sure it wouldnt help the actual team at all... but we'd get fantasy production.

sincerely,

Gordon/Cameron owners
thats actually an interesting idea, what value do you think Cutler is? I mean given his contract how many picks would it really take to get him? Maybe a 2nd, probably just a 3rd.

sincerely,

Gordon/Cameron owners
thats actually an interesting idea, what value do you think Cutler is? I mean given his contract how many picks would it really take to get him? Maybe a 2nd, probably just a 3rd.
the bears would cry for joy if they could get a 2nd round pick for cutler. i think you are talking no better than a 5th if that to acquire him.. but your are going to hopefully have to wait until they hire a new GM and coach before they talk deal int he off-season...

sincerely,

Gordon/Cameron owners
As a Steelers fan, I would love to see Cutler in Cleveland. Let's do it!

The decision to try and take on two defenders yesterday was just ridiculous. I think the kid has talent, but I really question his mental capacity for the game and the NFL in general. Not looking good...

The decision to try and take on two defenders yesterday was just ridiculous. I think the kid has talent, but I really question his mental capacity for the game and the NFL in general. Not looking good...
I don't think anyone has ever questioned his talent. He is obviously is a heck of a football player. To be drafted in the 1st round he had to be great in college. But like so many before him. He is finding out that life in the NFL is a whole different game. His physical measurable's just will not cut it in the NFL at his position. He can't survive in this league. He will be crushed and splattered like a grape. 20 years ago he could have had a shot to make it IMO. He is playing in the wrong time period.

You can't play against these monsters today with his size and lack of strength (both below his waste and his arm). Too small, too weak. Simple as that. He never had a chance IMO.

I don't think anyone has ever questioned his talent. He is obviously is a heck of a football player. To be drafted in the 1st round he had to be great in college. But like so many before him. He is finding out that life in the NFL is a whole different game. His physical measurable's just will not cut it in the NFL at his position. He can't survive in this league. He will be crushed and splattered like a grape. 20 years ago he could have made it IMO. He is playing in the wrong time period.

You can't play against these monsters today with his size and lack of strength (both below his waste and his arm). Too small, too weak. Simple as that. He never had a chance IMO.
You mean 20 years ago when teams actually played defense and were allowed to hit the QB?

I don't think anyone has ever questioned his talent. He is obviously is a heck of a football player. To be drafted in the 1st round he had to be great in college. But like so many before him. He is finding out that life in the NFL is a whole different game. His physical measurable's just will not cut it in the NFL at his position. He can't survive in this league. He will be crushed and splattered like a grape. 20 years ago he could have made it IMO. He is playing in the wrong time period.

You mean 20 years ago when teams actually played defense and were allowed to hit the QB?
LOL! Your right about all that. But when guys were not as big and fast as they are today. The size and strength 20-25 years ago is not on this level. I can't believe how big, strong and fast DL, and LB's are now. Scary.

LOL! Your right about all that. But when guys were not as big and fast as they are today. The size and strength 20-25 years ago is not on this level. I can't believe how big, strong and fast DL, and LB's are now. Scary.
I really don't think it's advanced all that much since that era. In the mid 90's, the likes of Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Junior Seau, and Derrick Thomas were prowling front sevens across the league. I think you've got to go back twice that far to start seeing meaningful differences in the sizes and athleticism of players that way, before sports science, nutrition, and supplementation became big business. Though I don't think a player with Manziel's skill set would even get a fair shot in the 70's. Unless I'm badly misremembering the arm strengths of guys like Tarkenton and Staubach, who are probably the closest to JFF in terms of skillset from that era.

I really don't think it's advanced all that much since that era. In the mid 90's, the likes of Bruce Smith, Reggie White, Cortez Kennedy, John Randle, Junior Seau, and Derrick Thomas were prowling front sevens across the league. I think you've got to go back twice that far to start seeing meaningful differences in the sizes and athleticism of players that way, before sports science, nutrition, and supplementation became big business. Though I don't think a player with Manziel's skill set would even get a fair shot in the 70's. Unless I'm badly misremembering the arm strengths of guys like Tarkenton and Staubach, who are probably the closest to JFF in terms of skillset from that era.
Tarkenton and Staubach were master tacticians, game managers and leaders and you can start there. Staubach was a qualified, classic pocket passer too. I don't think Manziel compares with any longtime franchise QBs from the 70s. Except for Tark (who set records for passing yards and TDs) that was an age of pocket passers. He's not even a Tebow/Douglass type. Maybe try Eddie LeBaron from the 50s/early-60s.

Manziel could use some seasoning in the CFL, a la Flutie, presuming he even wants to play football now that he's had his payday. Doesn't look like it.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Freelove said:
Todem said:
Grahamburn said:
Todem said:
CR69 said:
I don't think anyone has ever questioned his talent. He is obviously is a heck of a football player. To be drafted in the 1st round he had to be great in college. But like so many before him. He is finding out that life in the NFL is a whole different game. His physical measurable's just will not cut it in the NFL at his position. He can't survive in this league. He will be crushed and splattered like a grape. 20 years ago he could have made it IMO. He is playing in the wrong time period. You can't play against these monsters today with his size and lack of strength (both below his waste and his arm). Too small, too weak. Simple as that. He never had a chance IMO.
Tarkenton and Staubach were master tacticians, game managers and leaders and you can start there. Staubach was a qualified, classic pocket passer too. I don't think Manziel compares with any longtime franchise QBs from the 70s. Except for Tark (who set records for passing yards and TDs) that was an age of pocket passers. He's not even a Tebow/Douglass type. Maybe try Eddie LeBaron from the 50s/early-60s.
i believe his closest comp is Charlie Frye.

I don't think anyone is expecting Shaw to light it on fire, but he can't be any worse. I'll be rooting for Shaw on Sunday.

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel admits he has to take being a pro "a lot more seriously than maybe I did at (first)."

In expansive comments Tuesday, Manziel was both contrite and somewhat defiant. "This is a job for me now," Manziel said. "I haven't painted the greatest picture of me of being in here and staying on top of myself." Manziel also implored the Browns to stick with him, saying "I don't think it would be fair to give up on somebody after seven quarters of football." The Browns' commitment to Manziel for 2015 is very much an open question.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Users who are viewing this thread