What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (3 Viewers)

His ego was so inflated in college he thought he was god. The good news is he's realizing he's not. The bad news is that, as we learned from Tebow, sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you work.

From a purely objective standpoint, it is concerning that he didn't take being an NFL QB seriously at first. From a fanboy standpoint, though, I think that's pretty awesome. This kid lives on his own terms and I dig that. Can't wait to see what he does next year.

panthercub don't bother responding to this as I have you on ignore.

His ego was so inflated in college he thought he was god. The good news is he's realizing he's not. The bad news is that, as we learned from Tebow, sometimes it doesn't matter how hard you work.
Actually Tebow proved the opposite IMO, he started a half season, had a winning record, and got a playoff win against a favorite. He had deficient abilities but also some gifts which he used but he pushed through.

Manziel was never supposed to be in that situation, he was supposed to be a whiz kid, a natural. The weaknesses are glaring now (now) (and he's not remotely as good of a runner as TT, which was his great advantage to overcome his awful throwing, so he doesn't even have that), but for JM they are compounded by his intangibles not counterbalanced by them.

Pretty telling he's already having to say "The Browns should stand by me". Ok then, why should they?

The guy simply doesn't have the gifts to be an NFL starting QB. If he's serious about getting his head on straight, maybe then he could have a long career as a backup. Long way to go on even that. He's already indicated he hasn't taken this seriously/playbook etc....the rope is non-existent as a backup player. Most likely he goes the way of Tebow no later than end of 2015 season & no NFL wants him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manziel was never supposed to be in that situation, he was supposed to be a whiz kid, a natural. The weaknesses are glaring now (now)
What, Wiz Kid?

His weaknesses were glaring in college but many just chose to look past them.

The story hasn't changed for Manziel, he need to learn to win from the pocket. He isn't near a good enough athlete to play like he did in college. That was apparent when we saw his measurables... Smaller, slower and not nearly as quick as anyone thought he was. Like I've said for a long time. His utterly dominant oline insulated him at TAM. He's got a lot of work to do. Let's see if he's up to the challenge.

Actually Tebow proved the opposite IMO, he started a half season, had a winning record, and got a playoff win against a favorite. He had deficient abilities but also some gifts which he used but he pushed through.

Manziel was never supposed to be in that situation, he was supposed to be a whiz kid, a natural. The weaknesses are glaring now (now) (and he's not remotely as good of a runner as TT, which was his great advantage to overcome his awful throwing, so he doesn't even have that), but for JM they are compounded by his intangibles not counterbalanced by them.
Huh? Tebow's out of the league. And Manziel was supposed to be a whiz kid and a natural in the NFL? Don't think many people thought that.

I'm often not a fan of cocky arrogance and must admit it was a ha! moment when he thought he was tough enough to take on Keuchley with his shoulder and then when they called it a hammy...cmon it was bruised pride.

I'll tell ya though in most sports, a confident guy is a good player and one without confidence is not. He needs to be "taken down a peg or two" ABSOLUTELY but his confidence is a giant part of his game. He had huge cujones in college to keep plays alive and make some of the throws he did.

I imagine he'll be a good QB and we'll be discussing if it's fun he's so cocky or if he's annoying.

I watched both of his games. His second game, or half, I was totally fine with him. You couldn't have watched and come here and say he stunk. How many drops were there? 4? And four drives ended prematurely? It was geesh Gordon ya gotta grab that and OMG Cameron it hit both your hands in front of your gut and you can't catch it?

I think there was something to the linemen not liking him and that whole story his first game. It was worse than with Hoyer and I'd swear some let em' go through or quit when he was running. You tend to notice a guy running up field and a lineman with his hands on his hips.

He looked like young Doug Flutie his first game. I'm not a fan of all those type comparisons but I'll tell ya that was spitting image. Young Flutie was someone that gave a wow effort and then threw right to the DB or got flattened by a LB. Ya didn't question his heart, it was just wow is this game too big for you. Flutie had a terrible habit of taking the snap and rolling out as if there was pressure, instead watching you'd be like ummm why is he panicking? I think Manziel didn't feel the rush or the timing or... a darn thing his first game and was terrible. In game two, he sat in the pocket a little bit before scrambling and was eons better.

He did 2 or 3, oh don't throw that, wow nice throw type passes that we all know he throws.

Old Doug Flutie returned after success in the CFL where he was a genuine pocket passer. I don't see Manziel ever being that way unless he plays this game 15 more years. Flutie, regardless of age, had his teams in games regardless of the competition he was a huge presence. I think he was good for a Buffalo and SD team that had lost for too many years and needed a kick to get winning again. Nice transition QB. Manziel obviously is expected to be more than that. I think he's got that fire. I think if he develops a relationship (and he has like zero rapport with the WRs) with his teammates, they're going to battle with him.

Game three is still possible success. Don't forget Eli was the worst rookie QB ever.

As far as Tebow-he was Vince Young like and I totally completely appreciate each of their ability to lead a team down the field as a rook. Those two wouldn't let their teams die and made something out of nothing and....year two their world caved in because neither was a good QB, just good leaders. Manziel isn't near their level of leadership as rooks. He runs like a playground kid whereas they thought they were RBs for a few seconds. Their games are not similar to me.

55% completion rate and 16 ints, but okay I will give you he had a good year.

What about the rest?

Flutie was hard to watch as a NFL qb dude. He just wasnt that good.

But if that is the benchmark you want your first round QB to be then go for it.

So weird that a small, rag-armed, egomaniac with contempt for his team mates and his craft should not be doing well. Who could have predicted that you have to work at your craft, know the offense, and be able to read defenses.

Now little Johnny says that he will work at his craft. Of course he promised the same on draft night when his stock was rightfully crashing. Who knows whether a person who will say anything really has taken a lesson to heart? It will be interesting to see what he is doing New Years Eve. Will he be big timing it at some Vegas party, or will he be in bed early after a good work out and a study session with his playbook?

So weird that a small, rag-armed, egomaniac with contempt for his team mates and his craft should not be doing well. Who could have predicted that you have to work at your craft, know the offense, and be able to read defenses.

Now little Johnny says that he will work at his craft. Of course he promised the same on draft night when his stock was rightfully crashing. Who knows whether a person who will say anything really has taken a lesson to heart? It will be interesting to see what he is doing New Years Eve. Will he be big timing it at some Vegas party, or will he be in bed early after a good work out and a study session with his playbook?
Really? I can't stand Johnny but there is no reason to expect him to be in before midnight studying the playbook a couple days after season is over. Same with working out with torn hammy. Get real these guys have lives. Should he be more low key in his celebration? Yes but he can enjoy the holiday it's like as early in iffseason as you can get

Really? I can't stand Johnny but there is no reason to expect him to be in before midnight studying the playbook a couple days after season is over. Same with working out with torn hammy. Get real these guys have lives. Should he be more low key in his celebration? Yes but he can enjoy the holiday it's like as early in iffseason as you can get
He needs to put a stake through the whole Johnny Football, party-boy thing and show his franchise they can trust his work ethic. He is starting from the bottom of a massive credibility hole. Imagine you are Mack, or Thomas. You are veterans who have earned your respect. You have a limited window. You know your offense and your trade inside and out. You got a good workout and or rehab session in that day, just like everyday. You have a limited window and your window depends on Johnny Football, a small, weak-armed punk who has made it a point to show that he does not respect his craft or you. Your fate is linked, for now, with this punk. Now imagine you see pics and video New Years day of Johnny out partying in Vegas the night before right up to dawn.

I'm not saying the young man cannot have fun several chicks at a time. I'm saying keep it out of the news, get his rest, work hard, and publicly, to establish trust. He already senses he is on thin ice. He fooled the franchise once with his tweet during the draft promising to work with them. The onus is on the ######.

55% completion rate and 16 ints, but okay I will give you he had a good year.

What about the rest?

Flutie was hard to watch as a NFL qb dude. He just wasnt that good.

But if that is the benchmark you want your first round QB to be then go for it.
You didn't read what I wrote where I mentioned old and young doug flutie, where I said only his first game looked like young Flutie, or that obviously more was expected of him.

Please stop replying to parts of people's posts here and actually read the whole thing. You come off way off base and are clearly annoying people. You only need scroll up to notice a complaint. A discussion is totally welcome-it just makes it so hard to discuss when you're hung up on one part.

Now the undrafted rook will be judged on his performance without their top WR, their only WR that is intriguing really

Now the undrafted rook will be judged on his performance without their top WR, their only WR that is intriguing really
Like going all-in before you see your cards and you get dealt 2-7 off suit.

The good news is that if he can actually perform well, he is in the mix for next year. If he wins, the FO will have to give him more than just a shot to compete and the Cleveland fans will scream for him to be the starter.

squistion said:
Andrew Garda ‏@Andrew_Garda ·

Josh Gordon suspended for violation of team rules? But Manziel is the bad seed...
They can both be bad seeds. They can't both be uber-talented though. Something tells me the Browns will hold on to the wrong one.

Rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel, who vowed this week that he's matured and is "not the same Johnny Manziel that showed up here'' in May, was also late Saturday morning for treatment on his pulled hamstring and will be fined. He's on injured reserve and couldn't participate in the walk-through -- but it didn't go well in the building that he was late nevertheless.Manziel has already been lectured by the Browns several times this season, including one for his offseason escapades and once after being involved in a fight at his apartment building at 2:36 a.m. -- hours before the walk-through and trip to Atlanta.

A source told cleveland.com that the Browns sent security to Manziel's house because they were worried when he didn't show up and didn't answer his phone.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_josh_gordon_bot.html

Rookie quarterback Johnny Manziel, who vowed this week that he's matured and is "not the same Johnny Manziel that showed up here'' in May, was also late Saturday morning for treatment on his pulled hamstring and will be fined. He's on injured reserve and couldn't participate in the walk-through -- but it didn't go well in the building that he was late nevertheless.Manziel has already been lectured by the Browns several times this season, including one for his offseason escapades and once after being involved in a fight at his apartment building at 2:36 a.m. -- hours before the walk-through and trip to Atlanta.

A source told cleveland.com that the Browns sent security to Manziel's house because they were worried when he didn't show up and didn't answer his phone.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/12/johnny_manziel_josh_gordon_bot.html
That is ridiculous, hard to believe he could have looked worse but here we are. Approaching the "loser" tag rapidly.

Incredible work ethic. I wonder if coming from a wealthy home has played a part of his entitled attitude………..

Daddy's :moneybag: always helped smooth over situations

...first-round quarterback Johnny Manziel was fined for being late for treatment after throwing a big party Friday night attended by many members of the club.
...the timing of Manziel's party, and subsequent tardiness of certain players Saturday has not gone unnoticed in Cleveland.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24919509/browns-ready-to-part-with-josh-gordon-frustrated-over-johnny-manziel

So not only is he late, he throws a party that leads to other players being late.

How can you not be concerned when his own father says things like this:

The sun is brutal, and as the holes pass, Johnny grows more and more upset with his game. Nothing is going right. Putts come up a turn short, or lip out. His distance control is off. A sweat stain covers the back of his shirt, and he curses himself under his breath. He buries his head in his phone. Actually, it's his roommate's phone, since he broke his. He says he dropped it accidentally, although he's broken multiple phones in anger. To calm down, he leans back in the cart and drapes a green towel over his head, hidden and safe. On the fifth hole, he snaps. He flings a wedge through the air. The club helicopters, spinning so fast it hums, bouncing off the nearby cart path. "F---," he says under his breath.

Paul sees the club toss but doesn't say anything. Not yet, not until he calms his own anger and frustration. Johnny needs to grow up or risk losing his future, and every thrown club, or ill-advised tweet, reminds his father how far they have to go. Paul is scared.

"I don't enjoy playing golf with him because I don't want to see that temper," he'll say later. "I honestly do not. I cringe when he wants to play golf. I don't want to do it, but I know I have to do it. Because he still needs love. He still needs guidance. He still needs to see he's wrong -- and how to control his temper. And if I give up on him, who's gonna take over? The school sure the hell isn't gonna do it."
“Yeah, it could come unraveled. And when it does, it’s gonna be bad. Real bad,” Paul Manziel said. “It’s one night away from the phone ringing, and he’s in jail. And you know what he’s gonna say? ‘It’s better than all the pressure I’ve been under. This is better than that.’”

Manziel’s dad also said that his son drinks to deal with stress, and has anger issues that cause concern for the family.

“I don’t know where the anger comes from,” Paul said. “I don’t think he knows. If it comes from his drinking, or if he’s mad at himself for not being a better person when he fails, when he fails God and his mom and me. If it makes him angry that he’s got demons in him. You can only speculate because you can’t go in there.”

I hope the Browns kick him to the curb and no other teams take a look at him. A week earlier Manziel comes out and say's he need to work harder, lie. Guy flat out is into the money and fame only vs playing football. I hope he pisses away his rookie money and goes by the wayside of the likes of JaMarcus Russell. Again, it's all about the money and not the dedication for this guy.

Manziel wasn't just "late"- he did not show and they had to go to his house to get him. But he is white so only a fine.
3 Qs

1) What's a suspension going to do? He's already hurt.

2) Can the fine be as much as a game check?

3) If they suspended him would that prevent him coming on-site for treatment?

Anyway, glad to see Johnny is taking things seriously.

-QG

...first-round quarterback Johnny Manziel was fined for being late for treatment after throwing a big party Friday night attended by many members of the club.
...the timing of Manziel's party, and subsequent tardiness of certain players Saturday has not gone unnoticed in Cleveland.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24919509/browns-ready-to-part-with-josh-gordon-frustrated-over-johnny-manziel

So not only is he late, he throws a party that leads to other players being late.
Leadership :thumbup:

-QG

Bet he throws a rager though. Off the field, at least.
Sounds like he couldn't wait... Jason La Canfora reported on the pre-game show that Johnny threw a big party Friday night and Flash (in the pan) Gordon was there.

I for one am very disappointed... that there were no party pic's Tweeted.

That'll all be overlooked because he's playing so well, leading the team and all.

I hope the Browns kick him to the curb and no other teams take a look at him. A week earlier Manziel comes out and say's he need to work harder, lie. Guy flat out is into the money and fame only vs playing football. I hope he pisses away his rookie money and goes by the wayside of the likes of JaMarcus Russell. Again, it's all about the money and not the dedication for this guy.
He's doing nothing to change my belief that's he's just like Leinart.

i still think he has a chance to turn it around this off season and be something special but you are right that if he keeps partying and farting around it is not going to happen i would like to see him get serious and really get to it because it would be fun to see what he could become even if it would be in celevand take that to the bank bromigos

Manziel wasn't just "late"- he did not show and they had to go to his house to get him. But he is white so only a fine.
Right thats the reason
Yes, that's the reason. The two black guys were suspended but the white guy who threw the party and caused it all was not. Haslam is a right-wing Confederate and I don't find that a coincidence. I realize almost everyone will believe differently.

Users who are viewing this thread