What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (5 Viewers)

The Browns are going to seriously regret picking this kid and all that comes with it.

Then again, they are the Browns for a reason.
Couch over McNabb and Culpepper

Spergon Wynn over Brady

Weeden over Wilson and Foles

...and now Manziel over Bridgewater.

How much are Browns fans expected to take?
could've had Carr too.
I would argue every QB listed above would have failed the same as the rest in Cleveland.
you also argued Manziel would light it up, so i'm not inclined to listen to your argument.

The Browns are going to seriously regret picking this kid and all that comes with it.

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.
I would argue every QB listed above would have failed the same as the rest in Cleveland.
you also argued Manziel would light it up, so i'm not inclined to listen to your argument.
Then don't.. pay attention to the I-don't-know-how-many QBs that have gone in there and failed. Blind luck would have a couple pan out by now.

Look at how the "leaders" on this team are invisible in times of adversity. Instead of rallying around a kid that obviously needs some guidance and leadership... the veterans couldn't wait to bail on him. Loserville.

Culture of failure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.
Then don't.. pay attention to the I-don't-know-how-many QBs that have gone in there and failed. Blind luck would have a couple pan out by now.

Look at how the "leaders" on this team are invisible in times of adversity. Instead of rallying around a kid that obviously needs some guidance and leadership... the veterans couldn't wait to bail on him. Loserville.

Culture of failure.
hopefully they'll trade him and we'll both get our wish come true. :thumbup:

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.

Culture of failure.
Somewhere in the draft thread I said Johnny needed to go anywhere but Cleveland or Oakland. Damnit.

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.

Culture of failure.
tough love is the only way you'll get through to him. Coddling led to this year. Tough love may or may not fix it, but it's the only way it might.Stop making excuses for him.

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.

Culture of failure.
tough love is the only way you'll get through to him. Coddling led to this year. Tough love may or may not fix it, but it's the only way it might.Stop making excuses for him.
It might, but maybe it won't. It won't, but just maybe, it might. :lmao:

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.

Culture of failure.
Fapfapfapfapfap

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns

At his season-ending press conference Monday, coach Mike Pettine conceded the Browns' quarterback situation is "muddy" and "very much a question mark."

Brian Hoyer is a free agent and Johnny Manziel was atrocious in seven quarters of action. "The sample size on Manziel was not very big, and on the surface not very encouraging," Pettine said of Johnny Football. Pettine also praised UDFA Connor Shaw, who demonstrated "toughness" in Cleveland's Week 17 loss to Baltimore. Under rookie GM Ray Farmer, the Browns inherited two first-round picks from the Mike Lombardi-Joe Banner era. They used them on Manziel and Justin Gilbert, a project cornerback who earned minimal playing time as a rookie.

Source: Akron Beacon-Journal

Dec 29 - 5:52 PM

cstu said:

Spergon Wynn over Brady

Can't really blame them for passing on Brady, since every team in the league passed on Brady for the first 5 rounds (including the Patriots).

I was going to make a comment about Cleveland making terrible picks at quarterback, but when I browsed through all the NFL drafts of the past 10 years, I realized that Cleveland made terrible picks at nearly EVERY position. They just suck at drafting.

MAC_32 said:
matuski said:
amnesiac said:
matuski said:
amnesiac said:
cstu said:

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.

Culture of failure.
Quitting isn't tough love. Sounds like the excuses are on your end. This is a loser team, and Johnny's crap would have been handled easily in a strong locker room.

How much that would have helped on the field - who knows. If they weren't losers he would not have seen the field this year.

You are blaming Johnnys problems on the Browns? Jesus dude.

Its time to take a long hard look in the mirror.

You are blaming Johnnys problems on the Browns? Jesus dude.

Its time to take a long hard look in the mirror.
Nobody is blaming his problem on the Browns..I'm blaming the Browns for being the Browns.

How many QBs do you need them to burn through in the next decade to realize the problem might not be the QB's?

Or you can show me where someone has taken the reigns in that locker room and really turned things around? Poor organizational leadership, poor locker room leadership.

Controversial rookies go into other teams and disappear behind the faces of the teams they are on.

The Browns are so weak in this department there is nowhere for a rookie to hide. On the contrary, you get veterans on the team publicly throwing Gilbert and Manziel under the bus every chance they get.

Literally no player or coach with a persona big enough or strong enough to over shadow rookies.

Controversial rookies go into other teams and disappear behind the faces of the teams they are on.

The Browns are so weak in this department there is nowhere for a rookie to hide. On the contrary, you get veterans on the team publicly throwing Gilbert and Manziel under the bus every chance they get.

Literally no player or coach with a persona big enough or strong enough to over shadow rookies.
Or they get cut.

"I brought this on myself. I brought these cameras and all these people that are in this locker room right now and I don't think it's fair to myself, I don't think it's fair to anybody in this locker room the distractions I've brought at points in time," Manziel said Monday, according to The Plain Dealer.

"So I'm sorry to these guys that are veterans in this locker room and know what it takes, that I'm having to learn the hard way. At the same time, I'm either going to learn or I'm going to be finding something else to do." Manziel said he overslept after staying out too late on Friday. He then offered a blunt self-assessment.

"There's nothing I can sit here and tell you," he said. "I can't sit here and talk to these mics or these cameras or anything that's going to do any good. It's about actions, it's about being accountable and doing what I'm going to say instead of looking like a jackass."

http://instagram.com/p/xOCZ1tOPHj/

Edit to add: Farmer said everyone was given leave for a week so John Q Football is well within his rights to be in South Beach.

I think the Browns actually wanted to do this. It seemed as though they tried to bury him for his first season... maybe give the whole "Johnny Football" thing a chance to die down a bit. That plan got torpedoed when the Browns found themselves in contention for a play-off spot combined with increasingly bad play of Hoyer. I don't think they had any intent on playing Manziel this year but their hand was forced IMO.

cstu said:

Spergon Wynn over Brady

Trading the right to draft Julio for a bunch of guys who aren't on the team anymore.

Part of Skip Bayless’ role at ESPN is to say ridiculous things on television.

He did just that on Monday.

The “First Take” co-host said that Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel “has a problem with alcohol” and needs to “get some help.”

Oh, and he called the 22-year-old a liar, to boot.

The eye-opening comments came during a discussion on the debate program about reports that Manziel threw a party at his downtown Cleveland apartment Friday night, causing him to be late for a treatment on his strained hamstring. Wide receiver Josh Gordon, who was reportedly at the party, missed a team walk-through that Saturday and was suspended for the Browns’ Week 17 finale.

Manziel was fined over the weekend but denied throwing a party.

Nevertheless, Bayless said of Manziel, “It is time for me to come down harder on a concern that I repeatedly voiced on this show before Johnny was drafted. My concern, I repeatedly said, was if Johnny continues to demonstrate that he has a problem with alcohol, and a problem with alcohol leading to partying and all that that entails, then I’m going to be out.”

“In talking to people in and around the Cleveland Browns, I believe Johnny Manziel continues to have a problem with alcohol. And I believe, Stephen A., that it is time for Johnny to get some help. He continues to lie to his executives, to his coaches, to his teammates, to the media, and most of all, he continues to lie to himself.”

His co-host, Stephen A. Smith — who’s had his own foot-in-mouth moments on the program — gave Bayless a chance to back away from his comments, but the former sports columnist doubled down.

“You’re essentially telling me that you believe that Johnny Manziel is an alcoholic and a liar? Is that correct,” Smith asked.

“I do. Yes I do. He has a problem — if you want to call him an alcoholic, I’ll go that far,” Bayless said. I think he can’t handle his alcohol.”

There’s little doubt that Manziel likes to drink and party, but calling him an alcoholic is another leap altogether.

On Monday, Manziel apologized to his Browns teammates Monday for a season of distractions and vowed to change.

“It’s about actions,” he said. “It’s about being accountable and doing what I’m going to say instead of looking like a jackass.”

As for the partying reports, Manziel said friends from Kerrville, Texas, stayed with him last week. The rookie said he let his “guard down a little bit” and went out Friday night. When he was late for his treatment Saturday, the Browns sent security personnel to his home.

“It was a mistake by me,” he said. “At the same time, you can sit here and say and talk and say this all you want, but when your actions don’t reflect that, and you make a conscious decision to put yourself in the position that you stay out too late and not wake up the next morning, that’s going to cause a lot of trouble, so I did that to myself. I brought this on myself.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/skip-bayless-browns-qb-johnny-manziel-alcoholic-article-1.2059984

I think the Browns actually wanted to do this. It seemed as though they tried to bury him for his first season... maybe give the whole "Johnny Football" thing a chance to die down a bit. That plan got torpedoed when the Browns found themselves in contention for a play-off spot combined with increasingly bad play of Hoyer. I don't think they had any intent on playing Manziel this year but their hand was forced IMO.
Nothing forced their hand except their lack of organizational resolve (from owner on downward).

They weren't a QB away from going deep in the playoffs. Let Hoyer bungle away their season, who cares because you have 2 top 20 picks for next year to keep building.

I'm still curious who ultimately pulled the trigger on Manziel in the draft. It sure wasn't Pettine. He's too smart to have wanted "JFF".

Nothing forced their hand except their lack of organizational resolve (from owner on downward).

They weren't a QB away from going deep in the playoffs. Let Hoyer bungle away their season, who cares because you have 2 top 20 picks for next year to keep building.

I'm still curious who ultimately pulled the trigger on Manziel in the draft. It sure wasn't Pettine. He's too smart to have wanted "JFF".
I think a telltale sign might have been when they were meddling around with Grossman earlier in the year. They likely did not want him to compete for the starter position, as advertised, they probably wanted him in there as backup insurance for Hoyer.

I think it's pretty clear it came from on high. The radio has been saying since the pick was made that Manziel was not the #1 QB on their draft board regardless of what Farmer said today to try to cover for his boss. Pretty sure they liked Teddy Bridgewater a whole lot better but nobody is going to come out and throw the guy who signs the checks under the bus.

There’s little doubt that Manziel likes to drink and party, but calling him an alcoholic is another leap altogether.
Really? That's basically what his dad says:

Paul thinks Johnny drinks to deal with the stress. After his arrest, Johnny's parents and Sumlin mandated he visit an alcohol counselor
Stress and alcoholism.

It takes an epic performance to make Tebow look good in comparison.

In a decade the argument on this board will be whether Leaf or Manziel was the bigger bust.

I think it's pretty clear it came from on high. The radio has been saying since the pick was made that Manziel was not the #1 QB on their draft board regardless of what Farmer said today to try to cover for his boss. Pretty sure they liked Teddy Bridgewater a whole lot better but nobody is going to come out and throw the guy who signs the checks under the bus.
I could see how TB could have worked well in Pettine's scheme. He did pretty well in the end with Zimmer who seems to be trying for a similar strategy for prioritizing defense and a smart, ball control offense.

Rotoworld:

Browns GM Ray Farmer still believes Johnny Manziel could develop into a "solid starter," but "would not hesitate" to use a 2015 first-rounder on a quarterback.

"I would not hesitate to take whoever I thought could help this football team and move us forward," Farmer said. "The goal is to win, it’s not to draft any particular person or players." The Browns own the No. 12 and 19 picks in next spring's draft. We doubt they'd select a quarterback, but we don't doubt they're already near the end of their rope with Manziel.

Dec 30 - 2:26 PM

Rotoworld:

Browns GM Ray Farmer still believes Johnny Manziel could develop into a "solid starter," but "would not hesitate" to use a 2015 first-rounder on a quarterback.

"I would not hesitate to take whoever I thought could help this football team and move us forward," Farmer said. "The goal is to win, it’s not to draft any particular person or players." The Browns own the No. 12 and 19 picks in next spring's draft. We doubt they'd select a quarterback, but we don't doubt they're already near the end of their rope with Manziel.

And begin rampant speculation on Browns trading both 1sts to move up. Whee!

Rotoworld:

Started 2 days ago man, catch up

Rotoworld:

Started 2 days ago man, catch up
Aw nuts. Well, you see, I was at this party that night and....

"[Everyone kept saying] 'Tell him to stop posting, tell him to stop tweeting, don't go to the bars,'" Fitch recalled. "Screw that. Screw it. How about we are college kids and we want to have fun? There's nothing wrong with that."
Fitch, now 22, doesn't currently work with Manziel. He's still in College Station, focusing on working as a buyer for his family's jewelry business, studying for his real estate license, hanging out with his girlfriend and trying to hunt and fish as much as possible.
In other words, "I got paid and don't really care about what happens to Manziel's NFL career."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/peek-inside-johnny-football-circus-reveals-manziel-s-value-at-a-m-and-ncaa-s-poor-handling-of-it-all-062735852.html

Spergon Wynn over Brady

could've had Carr too.

Culture of failure.
Somewhere in the draft thread I said Johnny needed to go anywhere but Cleveland or Oakland. Damnit.
As a Raider fan, I'm so thankful that JF went to the Browns. Carr has some potential. JF may mature and do ok in the NFL but it doesn't seem likely. His off field antics and lack of work ethic are of larger concern than his poor play in 2 games.

General manager Ray Farmer said players were given this week off, so Manziel being in Miami Beach is not an issue.
Public perception and reality have been merging.

http://instagram.com/p/xOCZ1tOPHj/?modal=true

Johnny Manziel's offseason is off to a rip-roaring Instagram start, with Manziel already appearing in a late-night/early-morning nightclub video.

Which leads to the question: Is Manziel sincere when he offers heartfelt promises about taking his job more seriously, or is he playing everyone for fools?

The latest Manziel video, taken by itself, might mean nothing. But taken in the context and pattern of a season and lifestyle, it’s a slap in the face to the team and to every one of the Browns who do things the right way.

The night after saying he had to stop acting like a “jackass,” Manziel appeared in an Instagram video at a swanky hotel in Miami Beach (per the location tag on Instagram) to wish LeBron James a happy birthday.

Not two full days into the offseason, Manziel provided his first Internet appearance by yelling “Happy Birthday Bron Bron” in a Miami Beach bar. Less than 12 hours after promising a different approach, Manziel showed old habits.

General manager Ray Farmer said players were given this week off, so Manziel being in Miami Beach is not an issue.

“Everybody was allowed to leave here yesterday,” Farmer said.

He added that Manziel will continue to show up on the Internet.

“That’s going to be his lot in life,” Farmer said. “So regardless if he’s out drinking Voss water and somebody sees him somewhere, they’re going to take a picture and tweet it and it’s going to be relayed as though this guy’s out and he’s doing whatever. That’s his lot in life.”

Farmer compared it to being out with his wife and having his picture taken and posted on the Internet.

“There are a lot of us that walk in the circle of anonymity,” Farmer said. “When I leave this building, a lot of people don’t recognize me, so I can just walk out to the mall and enjoy my day. It’s not the same for him.” ...
Sounds like excuse making from a guy who has this pick hanging around his neck right now.

Manziel needs to realize he created this fate for himself and he needs to create a new public perception if he is going to stay in this league.

By the way, Johnny, you think James will still be your friend when you're out the league in a couple years? Doubt it.

"TMZ reported Manziel did little wrong except respond to hecklers"

Johnny has to learn that doing that is too much. Don't feed the trolls as they say. But he's not really one for learning lessons.

-QG

Users who are viewing this thread