What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (4 Viewers)

pantherclub said:
Donnybrook said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/02/on-manziel-browns-have-only-themselves-to-blame/

On Manziel, Browns have only themselves to blame

Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2015,.
To be fair, it wasn't just Haslam and a homeless man that wanted to draft Johnny Football. According to Jay Glazier, the Vikings wanted to trade up with the Eagles to take Manziel. The Browns just came up with a sweeter offer.
This makes me want to punch a wall that I didnt somehow get into a NFL front office. How in the hell can multiple NFL front offices not see this kid for the untalented ##### that he is?
It also makes the Vikings incredibly lucky as they landed the best QB in the class.

-QG
Not to mention that the Texans who were in desperate need for a QB didn't trade up one spot to get Bridgewater. Price would have been even cheaper than the 108 the Vikings game up since they had the 33 instead of the 40. The Vikings trade could go down as one of the best in history.

pantherclub said:
Donnybrook said:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/02/on-manziel-browns-have-only-themselves-to-blame/

To be fair, it wasn't just Haslam and a homeless man that wanted to draft Johnny Football. According to Jay Glazier, the Vikings wanted to trade up with the Eagles to take Manziel. The Browns just came up with a sweeter offer.
This makes me want to punch a wall that I didnt somehow get into a NFL front office. How in the hell can multiple NFL front offices not see this kid for the untalented ##### that he is?
It also makes the Vikings incredibly lucky as they landed the best QB in the class.-QG
It makes them a little lucky and a lot smart for ignoring the bull #### chatter and taking clearly the best QB in the draft at a great value.

pantherclub said:
Donnybrook said:

I do not care for Florio's revisionist history. It is complete BS. It wasn't just one organization that had Manziel as the #1 QB in the draft. Most scouts were expounding the same thing. He was consistently raked as the #1 consensus QB prior to draft. Go back in listen to the reports by Mayock and others after Manziel's pro day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kyle luvs everybody, err that is after he leaves.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2014/02/cleveland_browns_oc_kyle_shana.html

BEREA, Ohio -- In his introductory press conference Thursday, Browns new offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan defended his relationship with Redskins quarterback Robert Griffin III.

... "Robert and I always had a great relationship,'' said Shanahan. "I enjoyed coaching him.
Apparently Johnny and RG III are buds too.

https://instagram.com/p/p7Rlflo3N2/embed/

I do not care for Florio's revisionist history. It is complete BS. It wasn't just one organization that had Manziel as the #1 QB in the draft. Most scouts were expounding the same thing. He was consistently raked as the #1 consensus QB prior to draft. Go back in listen to the reports by Mayock and others after Manziel's pro day.
Yeah, all of that was side splittingly hilarious. Pro days. Lol.Curious what idiocy comes of this years draft process...

Manziel, great pro day. Teddy, questionable pro day. Ooooooooooooops.
Did manziel have a great pro day? i don't really remember. All I remember is that he did it in with his helmet on and some people liked that and some hated it.
Everyone drooled over his drills that day.
Did a quick google search. Of the articles i scanned quickly, some articles were neutral except for the ESPN article. Which is a somewhat amusing read now...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10683601/johnny-manziel-texas-aggies-dazzles-pro-day

Did manziel have a great pro day? i don't really remember. All I remember is that he did it in with his helmet on and some people liked that and some hated it.
I've been joking for awhile now that for his next press conference he holds to tell everyone how serious he's going to be about football, he should wear his helmet to it.

Worked for his pro day, why not give it a try again?

I've been joking for awhile now that for his next press conference he holds to tell everyone how serious he's going to be about football, he should wear his helmet to it.

Worked for his pro day, why not give it a try again?
:kneeslapper:

Rotoworld:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam threw support behind Johnny Manziel on Wednesday, saying he "absolutely" believes Manziel can still be an NFL starter.

Game-tape gurus like Ron Jaworski and Greg Cosell believed Manziel was a late-round prospect last May. On Haslam's orders, the Browns drafted Manziel with the 22nd overall pick. "I ask that question a lot to our football people -- as recently as today," Haslam said. "'Do we still think he can be a starter in the NFL?' And the answer is consistently yes." Either Haslam hasn't surrounded himself with the right football people, or he's living in denial. Haslam definitely seems to be in denial about Manziel's off-field habits. "Let me say this, I don't know how much of Johnny's personal life was known by everybody then and I don't know how much is known now,'' the Browns' beleaguered owner said. "... I think it's way too early to give up on Johnny.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Feb 11 - 9:08 PM

Start distancing him from his want a be brother and most important his so called friends/posse for these are a big part of his down fall. And by the way Jonny lose the "Show me the money" stick, nobody want's to see this and it makes you look like an arrogant a**h***. At the end of the day you choose between a short lived party time or a resecptive NFL stay.

Rotoworld:

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam threw support behind Johnny Manziel on Wednesday, saying he "absolutely" believes Manziel can still be an NFL starter.

Game-tape gurus like Ron Jaworski and Greg Cosell believed Manziel was a late-round prospect last May. On Haslam's orders, the Browns drafted Manziel with the 22nd overall pick. "I ask that question a lot to our football people -- as recently as today," Haslam said. "'Do we still think he can be a starter in the NFL?' And the answer is consistently yes." Either Haslam hasn't surrounded himself with the right football people, or he's living in denial. Haslam definitely seems to be in denial about Manziel's off-field habits. "Let me say this, I don't know how much of Johnny's personal life was known by everybody then and I don't know how much is known now,'' the Browns' beleaguered owner said. "... I think it's way too early to give up on Johnny.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Feb 11 - 9:08 PM
that's what i'd say if i were trying to maintain some trade value.

Start distancing him from his want a be brother and most important his so called friends/posse for these are a big part of his down fall. And by the way Jonny lose the "Show me the money" stick, nobody want's to see this and it makes you look like an arrogant a**h***. At the end of the day you choose between a short lived party time or a resecptive NFL stay.
YEA!

What?

I doubt johnny is ever the QB haslam wanted him to be, but i sincerely hope he gets help and keeps his life in order.

Over two years, the kid threw for an average of 3,900 and 30+ TD's (11 INTs) a season on a 69% completion rate in the SEC when he was 19/20 years old. Not going to bother to mention his rushing game.

Sure, this is a minority opinion: It's obvious he looks like a disaster after this season, but he can't be Ryan Leaf bad... can he? Anyone dump him in a dynasty or have a dynasty where he's in free agency?

after manziel, t-rich, michael sam, etc. etc...can we put an end to the B-B-BUT HE DID IT IN THE SEC argument already?

i think we clearly have enough evidence now to say that conference isn't a hyperbolic time chamber that magically prepares you for the NFL in some way that the rest of college football doesn't.

after manziel, t-rich, michael sam, etc. etc...can we put an end to the B-B-BUT HE DID IT IN THE SEC argument already?

i think we clearly have enough evidence now to say that conference isn't a hyperbolic time chamber that magically prepares you for the NFL in some way that the rest of college football doesn't.
3 examples?

No, we can't. When I say "SEC" I'm referring to a major football conference. Same as Pac12, Big10, Big12. In any given year one conference can be better than the other, but when you boil it down the greatest players are made better by the competition they've faced in college.

at some point college football fans will realize it's just not the same game as the NFL.

Manziel does not have NFL skills.

When I contacted several Browns players toward the end of the season, they were clearly exasperated with Manziel. One player in particular told me he wanted to calm himself and would text me after the season ended. (I actually tweeted this after a short conversation with him.) The player honored his word.

This player remembered watching Manziel practice and noticed that the accuracy of his throws not only failed to improve but actually worsened. To this player—and he says other teammates have similar beliefs—Manziel was far less talented than the media and fans believed.

Though a 3 yr contract, McCown is probably there for 1 year (or less) as starter and another year or maybe two as backup. He understands a big part of what he's there for is to coach up JM. Hoyer wasn't interested in that.

No matter how much help he gets though, it's on Johnny Manchild to grow up and commit to his profession responsibly and with maturity. No one can do that for him. I'm doubtful of his QB abilities at the pro level in the first place; the immaturity just adds to it. At this point I'd say he has about a 20% chance of being a long term starter in the NFL.

Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel remains in rehab

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel remains in rehab.

Manziel has been checked in for nearly six weeks. It's unclear when he'll leave. The Browns have added competition in the form of Josh McCown since Manziel began the process of getting his life together, but it's not insurmountable. McCown was among the league's worst quarterbacks last season. Manziel won't be the favorite to start Week 1, but could get himself in the 2015 picture.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter
Mar 9 - 6:28 PM

Last edited by a moderator:
http://clevelandsports360.com/wordpress/rumor-has-it-johnny-manziel-wants-to-sit-out-2015-the-cleveland-browns-couldnt-be-that-lucky/

Rumor has it Johnny Manziel wants to sit out 2015. The Cleveland Browns couldn’t be that lucky.March 14, 2015 ·

Cleveland Browns QB, Johnny Manziel wants to sit out the 2015 NFL season. According to rumors and sources close to the young QB, Manziel doesn’t want to play in the up-coming season. It’s amazing what rehab will do for a person.

One of the first things that happens when a person enters into to a rehab program, is realizing one’s truths. Manziel may have realized, he isn’t NFL quarterback material. He was a major bust in the limited amount of playing time he had last season.

He was injured on a play most guys would have gotten up and walked away from. He is too slow, too small, and too cocky to become an elite QB, in the NFL. His cockiness isn’t going to be enough to carry him on the NFL playing field.

The stuff this kid pulled in College isn’t going to cut it in today’s NFL. Manziel may have woke up and smelled the coffee, now that he’s been sober for a few weeks. It’s no surprise that the Cleveland Browns may have wasted another first round draft pick on Manziel.

The team has a long history of doing that. The Browns may have put too many eggs in one basket with Manziel. They let Brian Hoyer walk, in free agency. Now the team could be scrambling to find a starting QB, before the start of the 2015 NFL season.

If Manziel does take himself out of contention for the starting job, he would be doing the Browns and the fans a huge favor. This kid is a mistake waiting to happen. He won’t make it through the season, and there is no sense is wasting a spot on the roster, if Manziel realizes he isn’t NFL material.

He is no leader of men folks. The Browns need to find someone who is. Otherwise it’s going to be a very painful season for Browns fans……

It’s no surprise that the Cleveland Browns may have wasted another first round draft pick on Manziel.
If he sits out a year then that's a real waste. I don't think they or any other team has killed a 1st round pick on a (healthy) player like this situation, three quarters of awful football in 2 years?

It’s no surprise that the Cleveland Browns may have wasted another first round draft pick on Manziel.
If he sits out a year then that's a real waste. I don't think they or any other team has killed a 1st round pick on a (healthy) player like this situation, three quarters of awful football in 2 years?
I think its much better to realize a guy is a bust and basically get rid of them sooner than later especially at the QB position. Washington drafted a QB with the 3rd pick of the 1994 draft named Heath Shuler. I guess the guys in the huddle knew instantly that the kid wasn't going to make it because he lacked confidence and no one would listen to him.

But for worst first round healthy draft selection. How about a guy the Broncos drafted in the first round who didn't play a single game because he was so bad? The Broncos actually traded him to the Saints during the PRESEASON to New Orleans and the hysterical thing is that Denver played New Orleans that week and Gregory got his only NFL sack against the Broncos in that game. :D Too funny.

This has to be the worst first round pick that I have ever heard of in the history of the NFL draft IMHO.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Gregory

Theodore Anthony Gregory (born February 11, 1965) is a former professional American football defensive tackle who played one season for the New Orleans Saints in the National Football League. Gregory was drafted by the Denver Broncos following a sterling collegiate career at Syracuse. Gregory listed his height as 6'1".[1] However, a shocked Dan Reeves, who is also listed as 6'1"[2] commented, "I'm taller than he is!" upon meeting Gregory after the draft. By Reeves' estimate, Gregory was closer to 5'9".[3]

Gregory had injured his knee in his last collegiate game, and the knee gave out during training camp. Following scathing criticism from the press for wasting a pick on damaged goods, the Broncos traded him to the Saints for Shawn Knight before the season.[4] He is now regarded as one of the biggest draft busts in Broncos' history (if not the biggest). After the Gregory incident the Broncos began meeting with potential draft picks prior to the draft, a practice they had not previously engaged in.

Gregory blew out his knee in this third game with the Saints, and never played in the NFL again. After a series of failed business ventures drained his life savings, he took a job as a construction worker, only to have that end due to a ruptured disc in his back.[4] Gregory placed 8th in Deadspin's "The 100 Worst NFL Players of All Time".[5]

Users who are viewing this thread