Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

Actually that's very good memory, good call. And Shawn Knight was right there with him in terms of busts, he was a first rounder also.

The Saints traded for Heath Shuler too, and they let him start. You're right, he started quite a few games for the Skins and Saints and he hurt his teams.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP

His argument is pretty ridiculous, but there's really no reason to bring up Ferguson or the I can't breathe protests in response. Pretty poor taste here guys.

http://clevelandsports360.com/wordpress/rumor-has-it-johnny-manziel-wants-to-sit-out-2015-the-cleveland-browns-couldnt-be-that-lucky/

Rumor has it Johnny Manziel wants to sit out 2015. The Cleveland Browns couldnt be that lucky.

March 14, 2015 ·

Cleveland Browns QB, Johnny Manziel wants to sit out the 2015 NFL season. According to rumors and sources close to the young QB, Manziel doesnt want to play in the up-coming season. Its amazing what rehab will do for a person.

One of the first things that happens when a person enters into to a rehab program, is realizing ones truths. Manziel may have realized, he isnt NFL quarterback material. He was a major bust in the limited amount of playing time he had last season.

He was injured on a play most guys would have gotten up and walked away from. He is too slow, too small, and too cocky to become an elite QB, in the NFL. His cockiness isnt going to be enough to carry him on the NFL playing field.

The stuff this kid pulled in College isnt going to cut it in todays NFL. Manziel may have woke up and smelled the coffee, now that hes been sober for a few weeks. Its no surprise that the Cleveland Browns may have wasted another first round draft pick on Manziel.

The team has a long history of doing that. The Browns may have put too many eggs in one basket with Manziel. They let Brian Hoyer walk, in free agency. Now the team could be scrambling to find a starting QB, before the start of the 2015 NFL season.

If Manziel does take himself out of contention for the starting job, he would be doing the Browns and the fans a huge favor. This kid is a mistake waiting to happen. He wont make it through the season, and there is no sense is wasting a spot on the roster, if Manziel realizes he isnt NFL material.

He is no leader of men folks. The Browns need to find someone who is. Otherwise its going to be a very painful season for Browns fans

interesting.

how would this work logistically with his contract?

a player can't just not show up for work, right?

is there some sort of list they can put him on?

http://clevelandsports360.com/wordpress/rumor-has-it-johnny-manziel-wants-to-sit-out-2015-the-cleveland-browns-couldnt-be-that-lucky/

Rumor has it Johnny Manziel wants to sit out 2015. The Cleveland Browns couldnt be that lucky.

March 14, 2015 ·

Cleveland Browns QB, Johnny Manziel wants to sit out the 2015 NFL season. According to rumors and sources close to the young QB, Manziel doesnt want to play in the up-coming season. Its amazing what rehab will do for a person.

One of the first things that happens when a person enters into to a rehab program, is realizing ones truths. Manziel may have realized, he isnt NFL quarterback material. He was a major bust in the limited amount of playing time he had last season.

He was injured on a play most guys would have gotten up and walked away from. He is too slow, too small, and too cocky to become an elite QB, in the NFL. His cockiness isnt going to be enough to carry him on the NFL playing field.

The stuff this kid pulled in College isnt going to cut it in todays NFL. Manziel may have woke up and smelled the coffee, now that hes been sober for a few weeks. Its no surprise that the Cleveland Browns may have wasted another first round draft pick on Manziel.

The team has a long history of doing that. The Browns may have put too many eggs in one basket with Manziel. They let Brian Hoyer walk, in free agency. Now the team could be scrambling to find a starting QB, before the start of the 2015 NFL season.

If Manziel does take himself out of contention for the starting job, he would be doing the Browns and the fans a huge favor. This kid is a mistake waiting to happen. He wont make it through the season, and there is no sense is wasting a spot on the roster, if Manziel realizes he isnt NFL material.

He is no leader of men folks. The Browns need to find someone who is. Otherwise its going to be a very painful season for Browns fans

interesting.

I am sure their is, the NFL pulled lists out of their butts last year for RB Adrian Peterson and Ray Rice so I'm sure non-football dependency related issues have their own list.

Oh and Lane Adkins just tweeted this:

--------------------------------

LA - theOBR @LaneAdkins · 4m 4 minutes ago

Can’t say won’t happen RT @gusslor: @LaneAdkins what do you think of Rizzo saying his sources tell him Johnny not playing this year.

Manziel may have realized, he isnt NFL quarterback material.

Too cocky to become an elite QB, in the NFL.

Which is it - he's become self-aware or he's too cocky?

interesting.

Non-football injury

A similar list, known as the non-football injury (NFI) list, is functionally equivalent to PUP, but is used for players who are unable to practice as a result of conditions unrelated to football. For example, New England Patriots tackle Marcus Cannon began his rookie season on the NFI list as he recovered from chemotherapy for non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Also, David Quessenberry of the Houston Texans was put on the NFI list in mid-June, 2014 after his diagnosis of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma at the age of 23.

The NFI designation, despite its name, also covers injuries sustained during football played outside the NFL, including college football. Willis McGahee spent his entire rookie season on the Buffalo Bills' NFI list due to the major knee injury he sustained in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl.

• 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Browns coach Mike Pettine confirms the team expects Johnny Manziel to participate in the offseason program.

Manziel has been in rehab since January 28. "When he is back, it will be full speed ahead for him," Pettine said. "I think he's very anxious at this point." The Browns have worked desperately to bring in competition for Manziel, but have thus far only managed Josh McCown. Although the team appears ready to move on, Manziel is in the mix for the 2015 starting job as things stand now.
Mar 24 - 5:57 PM
  • 2 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Chris Mortensen says the Browns have mostly "moved on" from Johnny Manziel.

Just one year after taking Manziel with the No. 22 overall pick, the Browns appear to be throwing in the towel. "When they were putting together half of a new offensive staff, Manziel’s name barely even came up in conversation," Mort said. SI's Peter King chimed in Monday, saying Mort's take is 100 percent accurate and that Josh McCown in the "dominant talking point" in the organization. Furthermore, it's been confirmed the Browns were (and may still be) trying to trade for Sam Bradford. Manziel is coming out of rehab and entering a steep climb on the depth chart.
Related: Josh McCown
Apr 6 - 9:30 AM

Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Eagles are not interested in trading for Johnny Manziel.

A rumor hit the internets earlier this week that had the Eagles and Browns talking about a deal that would send Manziel plus draft picks to Philadelphia for Sam Bradford. Cole doesn't deny that the two teams have been talking, but says the discussions have centered around the Eagles wanting to acquire the Browns' first-round picks in an effort to move up in the draft for Marcus Mariota.

Related: Eagles

Source: Bleacher Report
Apr 8 - 1:41 PM

Rotoworld:

Bleacher Report's Jason Cole reports the Eagles are not interested in trading for Johnny Manziel.

A rumor hit the internets earlier this week that had the Eagles and Browns talking about a deal that would send Manziel plus draft picks to Philadelphia for Sam Bradford. Cole doesn't deny that the two teams have been talking, but says the discussions have centered around the Eagles wanting to acquire the Browns' first-round picks in an effort to move up in the draft for Marcus Mariota.

I read that 3x now and cannot figure how that makes any sense for either team.

Rotoworld:

Manziel IMO has no value.

However, the Browns would get their starting QB in Bradford and the Eagles would get a 1st to help them to move up for Mariota.

Rotoworld:

However, the Browns would get their starting QB in Bradford and the Eagles would get a 1st to help them to move up for Mariota.

I kindof get that angle of it but why is JM even mentioned there? Why would the Eagles want that type of attention drawn to the team? Makes no sense.

Also a first for Bradford is insane

Rotoworld:

I kindof get that angle of it but why is JM even mentioned there? Why would the Eagles want that type of attention drawn to the team? Makes no sense.

It was a response to "rumors on the internet". Things making sense is rarely a requirement for internet rumors.

Good stuff Mr. Manziel. :thumbup:

Cool photos of his visit at the link.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/johnny-manziel-visits-hospital-patients-at-penn-state-hershey-medical-center-170504542.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Johnny Manziel visits hospital patients at Penn State Hershey Medical Center
By Frank Schwab 52 minutes ago Shutdown Corner

Anything and everything that can be said about Johnny Manziel has already been stated, and plenty of it isn't positive.

But also say this about Manziel, the Cleveland Browns controversial quarterback: He did a really cool thing this week, visiting hospital patients at Penn State Hershey Medical Center.

According to a blog post from Onward State, a blog by Penn State students, Manziel visited a few patients including Kiki Crist, a fan of his. Some photos are making the rounds on social media, and it's probably worth noting that Manziel himself wasn't the one tweeting them out, and they weren't from anyone representing him either.

Eric Pohle@eric_pohle 23h23 hours ago

Johnny Manziel went to Hershey Medical Center today and I'm really excited about this

Kiki Crist⚡ retweeted

Kiki Crist⚡ @kikijunecrist · 7h 7 hours ago

If this gets 1,000 retweets will you go to Prom with me @JManziel2 @Browns

Of course, Manziel has been plenty busy lately. He has been in a rehabilitation facility for unspecified reasons. For him to take time out to visit a fan in the hospital, and meet other patients too, is a great gesture.

I had no idea he was coming, my nurse came in and said you have a special visitor and asked if I minded if he came in, when he walked in my heart stopped!" Crist told DawgPoundDaily.com. "He definitely got my mind off me being in the hospital!”

Crist told DawgPoundDaily that Manziel talked to her for about 25 minutes and was "a very kind and caring guy." Crist, who said she is 17, was attempting on her Twitter feed to get Manziel to take her to prom.

Many people made up their minds about Manziel long ago, especially when tales of his partying were hard to avoid. But maybe it's not too late for Manziel to try to change the perception many have of him.

- - - - - - -

- QB is McCown

- No QB's comparable to Bradford at #19.

You would give up a high first for a china doll that is sporadic at best?

Would hate to do it but if it was my team I couldn't stomach going into the season with McCown as my starter.

He's "done" too soon.

There's just no way he is on the sidelines all year and just riding out his contract.

He's traded or gets another chance.

IF IF IF there continues to be surprising positive stories, well then the Browns are rebuilding his image and he'll be starting.

Everything just doesn't smell right here. Can you think of a highly touted rook that played as many games and was "done?"

He's "done" too soon.

There's just no way he is on the sidelines all year and just riding out his contract.

IF IF IF there continues to be surprising positive stories, well then the Browns are rebuilding his image and he'll be starting.

Everything just doesn't smell right here. Can you think of a highly touted rook that played as many games and was "done?"

he'll get another chance, but for all intents and purposes, i think he's done. D.O.A.

Edited by Tool

He's "done" too soon.

Druckenmiller, Andre Ware, and Tommy Maddox (did come back 10 years later),

He's "done" too soon.

Druckenmiller, Andre Ware, and Tommy Maddox (did come back 10 years later),

Ware played four years only 6 starts

Wow Jim

Maddux just four starts

Interesting, thank you

Manziel was only 'highly touted' in the run up to the draft. Ultimate hype machine example.

Relative to peers, you might have a point.

I live near the Texas border and Johnny Football couldn't have received more press or praise here. Commercials for games (that had national "feel") seemed to promote him significantly too. Traveling circus or somesuch.

Jerry Jones needs to sign him before Texans(citizens) lose hope. Few players can put fans in the (Cowboys stadium) seats like him. If he plays for the Browns and stinks and all hope is gone, Jerry missed a marketing window to make some huge $. If Romo is dinged and he's the backup...that's all Jerry needs. Manziel doesn't even have to play

What a bust! He's got some great Vegas party pics though. Hopefully his recovery will stick and he can have a productive life.

It's nice that he shuffled over to the hospital in his smiley face slippers and all, or did someone visit him..? jk But it's like he still doesn't get it. Tom Brady can go visit hospitals. Manziel needs to lay low and study the playbook, focus all on football and a last chance- all while maintaining sobriety and showing a maturity that unfortunately it doesn't appear that he has. Character is the most difficult thing to scout, understand, yet it's consistently overlooked by the "best football minds".

I would draft Marriota over Winston for this very reason.

Manziel was only 'highly touted' in the run up to the draft. Ultimate hype machine example.

I live near the Texas border and Johnny Football couldn't have received more press or praise here. Commercials for games (that had national "feel") seemed to promote him significantly too. Traveling circus or somesuch.

Jerry Jones needs to sign him before Texans(citizens) lose hope. Few players can put fans in the (Cowboys stadium) seats like him. If he plays for the Browns and stinks and all hope is gone, Jerry missed a marketing window to make some huge $. If Romo is dinged and he's the backup...that's all Jerry needs. Manziel doesn't even have to play

I remember when jax needed to sign tebow

pretty sure jerry isn't missing many meals

Rotoworld take:

ESPN Browns reporter Jeremy Fowler reports Johnny Manziel has been released from a drug and alcohol treatment facility.

Manziel spent more than two months in the treatment facility trying to get his life and career back on track. The former is obviously the most important, but the focus will now change to Manziel's murky future with the Browns. Cleveland appears to have moved on from last year's first-round pick. They actively pursued Sam Bradford this offseason, and are reportedly interested in trading up for Oregon QB Marcus Mariota. If Cleveland cannot land a quarterback before training camp, Manziel would compete with journeyman QB Josh McCown for the starting job. If his focus is fully on football, Manziel has the talent to win that battle.
Apr 11 - 11:43 AM

Tebow? I don't remember that.

Matt Jones he had a ridiculous man-crush on.

Matt was someone that I was shocked his career was over so abruptly.

Anyhow, it's how he does business. Stephen McGee was 3rd stringer from A&M and IIRC their 3rd stringer now is from East A&M. He's almost always got a Texas boy as a backup. With Romo being so experienced, he only plays minimal in preseason. Good PR IMO. Most of these QBs never pan out, but they're always good enough to be considered a project QB.

Cocaine is a helluva drug...as Johnny well knows.

Anyhow, it's how he does business. Stephen McGee was 3rd stringer from A&M and IIRC their 3rd stringer now is from East A&M. He's almost always got a Texas boy as a backup. With Romo being so experienced, he only plays minimal in preseason. Good PR IMO. Most of these QBs never pan out, but they're always good enough to be considered a project QB.

wasn't it jax that was always linked to tebow?

I have no idea -- I don't follow college ball

wasn't it jax that was always linked to tebow?

I have no idea -- I don't follow college ball

ESPN Dallas, last 10 minutes about Johnny Manziel in the stands for a Rangers game.

Me yelling at car radio-How is this news? Move on already! So what he had a hot girl and gets great seats?

I'm telling ya...Jerry Jones would make a bundle if he trades for him. That non-story proves the hype is still alive in Texas, dimmer, but it's still there

ESPN Dallas, last 10 minutes about Johnny Manziel in the stands for a Rangers game.

Me yelling at car radio-How is this news? Move on already! So what he had a hot girl and gets great seats?

I'm telling ya...Jerry Jones would make a bundle if he trades for him. That non-story proves the hype is still alive in Texas, dimmer, but it's still there

For a 7th round pick, why not trade for him? At the very least it would get the Cowboys the media attention JJ loves.

For a 7th round pick, why not trade for him? At the very least it would get the Cowboys the media attention JJ loves.

They might get a decent player in the 7th round. Julian Edelman was a 7th round pick.

They might get a decent player in the 7th round. Julian Edelman was a 7th round pick.

Before Johnny took a snap he made the Brown's and the nfl more money than Edelman in his entire career.

Before Johnny took a snap he made the Brown's and the nfl more money than Edelman in his entire career.

Care to break down the numbers on how much revenue a media-friendly one-game flameout on a bad team in a small market generates, vs. a player that contributes meaningfully to multiple home playoff games for his ownership, multiple deep playoff runs, and SB's? :confused:

Because my understanding is that the revenue an owner generates with a single home playoff game dwarfs that generated by infinity jersey sales. There was certainly a spike in TV viewership for one Browns game, but NE is already selling out and drawing huge ratings...soooo...

...you're talking out of your ###, is the point.

Every owner in the world would rather have a good team than the biggest star in the game, if that star also sucked and hampered their chances at making the postseason and reaping the rewards. And the NFL is such a giant that the tremor caused by a TMZ sensation being drafted and going into rehab doesn't even register.

Edited by Freelove

Care to break down the numbers on how much revenue a media-friendly one-game flameout on a bad team in a small market generates, vs. a player that contributes meaningfully to multiple home playoff games for his ownership, multiple deep playoff runs, and SB's? :confused:

Because my understanding is that the revenue an owner generates with a single home playoff game dwarfs that generated by infinity jersey sales. There was certainly a spike in TV viewership for one Browns game, but NE is already selling out and drawing huge ratings...soooo...

Every owner in the world would rather have a good team than the biggest star in the game, if that star also sucked and hampered their chances at making the postseason and reaping the rewards. And the NFL is such a giant that the tremor caused by a TMZ sensation being drafted and going into rehab doesn't even register.

Except Jerry Jones, who has proven time and time again the Cowboys brand marketability is way more valuable to him than the quality of the team in terms of it's ability to win.

Season tickets, Jersey sales, free media frenzies.

Not much breaking down needed. This has nothing to do with the player.. From a money making/business stand point the Brown's may never have made a better draft pick, ever.

All to Johnny alone. Obviously the patriots are a better team.. But you can't possibly be crediting Edelman for the patriots doing what they do as a team?

• Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'