What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (5 Viewers)

Poor McCoy. He had a stellar college career was as nails as they come. His franchise drafts a running QB and prefers the stationary McCown. He moves onto another team with a running QB, throws lights out accurate and they choose to go with the running QB. He can't catch a break

I didn't realize I said I wanted Manziel to fail in life. Just because I think he's a punk doesn't mean I want him to fail. I just prefer to root for players that are more modest. I like to see players show some respect. I know, the word "Respect" doesn't really matter much anymore. Not many people seem to care for it. There are plenty of players that I can't stand but at least I respect them because they earned it. Manziel hasn't earned anything yet.
Dude is one of the greatest college football players... ever.

I would ask what it takes to earn respect? Sounds more like a moral judgement than a grading of his resume.
Don't make me laugh. He did well in college but I've seen too many of his passes caught because of the skill of the WR than the skill of his arm. I'll give him credit for extending the play in order to make the jump ball.

He is VERY far from greatest of all time. Don't make yourself sound silly.
You are why I root for Manziel. People of your ilk.

Manziel was a great running QB, as were Tebow and RG3, two other QBs that have struggled or failed to become pocket passers in their NFL transition.

As a pure passer, which is more relevant to Manziel's NFL projection, where would he fit all time collegiately? Not all that high, I'm guessing.

* IMO, people are maybe talking about different things and talking across each other. Partly what started this tangent was that Manziel "should" be respected for his college exploits. As a college player, sure. As a pro, it isn't very meaningful at this point, if he doesn't look a lot better than he did as a rookie. At this point, if he felt a sense of entitlement as the first rounder or coasted on his reputation because he was "the man" in college (partying instead of learning the plays seemed consistent with this) isn't going to cut it at this level.

I did expect him to do better, and rehab was a good step for him, so I'm curious what he could do if he applies himself and works harder. Unfortunately, he dug himself such a deep hole, it is unclear if he will get a chance any time soon. He probably ceded his chance to McCown for now. But how many people respect him or don't respect him means zero to his NFL future. It is all on him. He needs to party less, work harder and stop acting entitled. One way he can do this is to prepare like a starter every week even if he isn't the starter. That increases his chance of success if/when he gets his next chance. Anything short of that level of attitude and preparation would imo be an extremely bad sign for his future.

One thing that we know NOW that we didn't know this time last year, besides the appallingly poor lack of preparation, is he won't be able to run around in the NFL like he did in college. So if you take away the singular thing that made him special, it is unclear what you have left. The late Michael Jackson was a wonderful overall entertainer, but how would his professional career have unfolded differently if he was unable to sing? :)
I don't think anyone thought he would run wild like he did in college. However, it is still unclear just how good Manziel can be at running once he starts to learn a play book and become more of a threat throwing the ball.

Wilson rushed for 850 yards last year. Newton rushed for 741 yards in a season. RGIII had 815 yards as a rookie. You are still able to run even in the pros, but you have to be able to complete some passes.

RG3 was an Olympic-caliber sprinter and I think faster before his second torn ACL. Cam obviously bigger. Wilson to me is like a smaller Peyton Manning with wheels, as far as his mental command of the offense and how to attack defenses, field awareness, etc. If Manziel can develop football smarts the equal of Wilson, that could increase his chances of replicating what he can do in games, but that could be a tall order. Not for Manziel, but just about any QB, he has a rare football IQ.

I didn't realize I said I wanted Manziel to fail in life. Just because I think he's a punk doesn't mean I want him to fail. I just prefer to root for players that are more modest. I like to see players show some respect. I know, the word "Respect" doesn't really matter much anymore. Not many people seem to care for it. There are plenty of players that I can't stand but at least I respect them because they earned it. Manziel hasn't earned anything yet.

I would ask what it takes to earn respect? Sounds more like a moral judgement than a grading of his resume.
Don't make me laugh. He did well in college but I've seen too many of his passes caught because of the skill of the WR than the skill of his arm. I'll give him credit for extending the play in order to make the jump ball.

The only freshman Heisman winner, who followed that up with an arguably better season statistically... did well? :lmao:

Someone is looking silly here.

His performance in the NFL last year deserves some doubt and criticism, but when your hate makes you unable to accept his greatness at the college level... yikes.

He is most certainly not "one of the greatest college football players.......ever" That is just laughable
No it is not laughable.

Manziel in the SEC had 2 of the most ridiculous statistical years accumulated as a QB. He ran for 1400 yards and 21 td's as a freshman. He also threw for 3700 yards with 26 tds and only 9 ints in that freshman year.

He followed up that freshman year with 759 yards rushing and 9 tds to go along with 4114 yards throwing with 37 tds and 13 ints.

His college resume is ridiculous. Whether his game translates to the pros is for a sure a huge question mark, but as a college player he should be in the conversation as one of the best 2 year runs in the history of the NCAA.

You are why I root for Manziel. People of your ilk.
What's so wrong with wanting more players with better character in the NFL? I'm a fan of players that show respect and good sportsmanship. I know not every player that makes it to the NFL is going to fit the mold of players I prefer. It would be way too boring if every was a saint. Just like in any sport or movie, you need antagonists and protagonist. It's what makes it fun.

I would like to see more players try to model themselves after Barry Sanders though. He played the game the way it was suppose to be. When he scored a TD he gave the ball to the ref and went to the sideline. I'd love to see more of that instead of players celebrating after making a sack when down a bunch of points and leading tearing your ACL.

There are some athletes that I respect as athletes because of what they have done at the professional level but I can't stand them because of the type of people they are. Floyd Mayweather is one and Adrian Peterson is another. These are two pieces of crap for human beings but I can't deny how incredibly good they are in their sports. Manziel has not earned the respect yet in the NFL. He may have in on the college level, and I'll admit that he was very good then, but he has a ways to go now.

What do you mean by, "People of your ilk?"

Last edited by a moderator:
Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
He is most certainly not "one of the greatest college football players.......ever" That is just laughable
No it is not laughable.

Manziel in the SEC had 2 of the most ridiculous statistical years accumulated as a QB. He ran for 1400 yards and 21 td's as a freshman. He also threw for 3700 yards with 26 tds and only 9 ints in that freshman year.

He followed up that freshman year with 759 yards rushing and 9 tds to go along with 4114 yards throwing with 37 tds and 13 ints.

His college resume is ridiculous. Whether his game translates to the pros is for a sure a huge question mark, but as a college player he should be in the conversation as one of the best 2 year runs in the history of the NCAA.
Tebow did great in college, too.

Which means pretty much nothing in the NFL.

As a pure passer, where would Manziel rank in collegiate history?

I'm not in any league where I get points for what he did in college.

Who cares what he did in college, except for how it translates into the NFL? So far, not well.

Pots said:
Bob Magaw said:
Wilson to me is like a smaller Peyton Manning with wheels, as far as his mental command of the offense and how to attack defenses, field awareness, etc.
:no:
:yes:
I don't really even think all that highly of Wilson, but I don't see anything wrong with this sentiment. :shrug:

It's not really comparing Wilson to Manning as a complete QB. Just the way they seem to think about the game as they play, and how it seems to help them make intelligent choices regularly. That's the number one thing you need to be a good game manager, and Wilson's one of the two or three premier game manager QB's in the NFL right now.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
No it is not laughable.

Marginally higher than the guy who replaced him a year later. Although, that's probably more about the difference having Evans made for Manziel.

Falcons OC Kyle Shanahan talks QBs from Matt Ryan to Johnny Manziel

Excerpt:

Johnny Manziel (Cleveland Browns): "Johnny was similar to Robert Griffin III -- different type of athlete, but in terms of where he came from. He came from a college that was very Oregon-like; not as much with zone read, but a lot of quarterback runs, spread-out system and not a lot of pocket play. We had to try and think of things that Johnny could do to make plays, but you've also got to teach him how to play quarterback. There's a fine line. But it was a challenge, just like Robert, just in terms of you've got to let those guys be them. They won Heismans being them. You don't want them coming to the NFL and you saying, 'Hey, you can't be you anymore.' So you've got to try and think of a system that allows them to be them, but still teaches them what they need to do to be successful. The difference with Johnny was, Johnny was quick. He didn't have the speed Robert (Griffin) had, but Johnny could break people off. And that's what his strongest asset was. I never had a guy who could make people miss like that. And the hardest thing, when you make people miss though, you get hit a lot because you're not going to the sideline. You're in between the tackles. That was the challenge with him. Johnny was going to be less designed runs but more scrambles."

Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
No it is not laughable.

Who cares what he did in college, except for how it translates into the NFL? So far, not well.
Two different arguments here. My first argument was one that was simply defending Manziel's college resume as being one that is awesome. I was not saying it is going to be awesome for his fantasy stats in the NFL.

As a pure passer where would Brady have ranked in collegiate history? I agree with you here that you can't simply use collegiate stats as to defend how awesome a guy will be in the NFL, but that has zero bearing on comparing players collegiate resumes and accomplishments.

My second argument was also saying that it is possible to be able to be a competent running qb in the NFL but only if you can become adequate in the pocket. This is still a major question mark for Manziel as outlined over and over again in this thread. The only weight your Tebow statement carries is he proved that you can't just be a competent running NFL qb, you have to be able to throw the ball.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
No it is not laughable.

It came up when someone here through out the "I don't respect" line about a kid who accomplished more in his profession before age 22 than most of us ever will in our own. The debate continued when the haterade was trying make his NFL failings somehow pollute his all time great college career.

Nobody ever implied his college career mattered in terms of his NFL performance. Nor does his poor showing thus far in the NFL in any way diminish his college performance. Same with Tebow, Young, etc.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
No it is not laughable.Manziel in the SEC had 2 of the most ridiculous statistical years accumulated as a QB. He ran for 1400 yards and 21 td's as a freshman. He also threw for 3700 yards with 26 tds and only 9 ints in that freshman year.

It came up when someone here through out the "I don't respect" line about a kid who accomplished more in his profession before age 22 than most of us ever will in our own. The debate continued when the haterade was trying make his NFL failings somehow pollute his all time great college career.

Nobody ever implied his college career mattered in terms of his NFL performance. Nor does his poor showing thus far in the NFL in any way diminish his college performance. Same with Tebow, Young, etc.
Please don't exaggerate what I've been trying to say about Manziel. I don't hate him, I dislike him because of the way he carries himself and therefore I don't respect him. I never once said he was a bad college player. I never said he was a bad athlete. I just don't like his character and I think he needs to earn respect in the NFL. I don't like how he comes off as a guy who just gets to do what ever he wants in the NFL.

Don't get so defensive. Not sure why so many feel they need to defend Manziel right now. He's a big boy, let him prove himself.

CCF, I understand and appreciate that. I don't really require an explanation for what you meant, I'm just suggesting, imo, his college exploits don't matter very much now.

Put it this way. If given a choice between spending some of his time thinking about how awesome he used to be in the good old days, and reminiscing about the fawning adoration which some used to have for him, or just pretending he was a UFA, not entitled and working accordingly to maximize his chances, the latter strategy might be better for his NFL future.

Deflecting the question with another about Brady doesn't answer mine about Manziel. Where would he rank among pure passers all time? Why is that important? Because it probably will be a much bigger determinant of what he ultimately does in the NFL. Also, if he is far down the list by that criteria, maybe there isn't as much reason to get as excited about his future and prospects - AS A POCKET PASSER IN THE NFL. Some of his success was tied to his ability to run around behind the LOS because he was generally quicker than college defenders, and the Johnny Jump Ball plays to Evans. He isn't as quick relative to pro defenders, and he doesn't have Evans, so again, extrapolating from what he did in college may not be relevant or warranted, if the same circumstances and conditions that led to that earlier success are absent. Another difference between Manziel and Brady, the latter has been known as a keen student of the game and separated himself from the competition by his mental acuity, and the former was abysmal at that last year. Also, at a comparable stage of his career, Brady wasn't coming off of rehab. Brady had a chip on his shoulder, and worked hard to prove others wrong, kind of the opposite of the entitlement Manziel exhibited.

Like Manziel, Tebow did better in college than the pros. It wasn't as apparent he couldn't cut it in the NFL, until he got in the NFL.

Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
No it is not laughable.

Some people are less impressed by college football achievement than you.

It isn't like he is Jonas Salk or Gandhi. :) Maybe this is a regional thing where people in Texas take their football more seriously than some other regions (especially prep and college)?

I disagree with the premise that others should or must respect him for what he did in college. Fantasy football, like a lot of other areas of football, and sports in general, is about what have you done lately. Not much, in his case. Not everybody is as impressed with him as you, or as enthused about his NFL prospects, it doesn't mean they are serving haterade, it just means they have a difference of opinion. It happens sometimes, for non-sinister/nefarious reasons.

He isn't an all time great passer, and that will have more relevance to how his NFL career unfolds (or unwinds), than the fact he was an awesome runner, IN COLLEGE.

Clearly you have a great deal of respect and admiration for him. You don't need validation and confirmation from others to support that. You can carry on respecting and admiring his college resume. And others can carry on thinking that may be effectively meaningless for his NFL projection.

A 2013 story, presciently called - The trouble with Johnny (maybe he had too much early success, and bought into the rock star hype?).

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9521439/heisman-winner-johnny-manziel-celebrity-derail-texas-aggies-season-espn-magazine

"Not long ago, backstage at a country music concert, the two Manziels hung out with some of Johnny's friends. There was Uncle Nate, a high school teammate named Bryan and Johnny's buddy Colton from College Station. Everyone stood around, the band warming up. Without so much as a nod, the Crotch Shot Ninjas struck: Paul punched Nate in the nuts, and, simultaneously, Johnny kicked Bryan and hit Colton, both in the balls, both at the same time, and as the three dudes doubled over and the band howled in laughter, Johnny and Paul gave each other a fist bump. Mission accomplished."

I'm pretty sure this was Brady's MO, randomly kicking/punching others in the nads for no reason and causing agonizing, excruciating pain just because he could, and the sheer fun of seeing other suffer*. Nothing says leader of men like that. :)

* Wish he had tried that stunt with Charlie Murphy (cocaine is a helluva drug).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDMknqbh_3M

Carter_Can_Fly said:
pantherclub said:
No it is not laughable.Manziel in the SEC had 2 of the most ridiculous statistical years accumulated as a QB. He ran for 1400 yards and 21 td's as a freshman. He also threw for 3700 yards with 26 tds and only 9 ints in that freshman year.

It came up when someone here through out the "I don't respect" line about a kid who accomplished more in his profession before age 22 than most of us ever will in our own.
:confused:

He's been nothing short of a catastrophic failure in -- and embarrassment to -- his profession. He hasn't accomplished jack #### in it, other than wasting his company's resources.

I'm not sure why there are any Manziel apologist out there. Why do you want this man to succeed in the NFL? What has he done to earn being a first round draft pick? He needs to disappear from public and just stay with the team.
Yes, we should all hope people we don't know fail in their careers.
There are certain people that earned and deserve support and there are certain people who do not. I do not respect Manziel, not yet at least. He has to earn respect and I think it's clear that most NFL fans do not respect him are either do a good amount of NFL players.
:lmao: This is about one of the greatest NCAA football players ever earning Hawkeye21's "respect"?
What are you talking about? I obviously know that know one cares who I respect but I'm one of the thousands that don't respect him. The public as a whole doesn't like him and most importantly his peers do not respect him.
Hey if you feel like it is your place to judge.. be my guest. Hope with all your might that this man fails in life. Very big of you.

edit - this whole concept of fans "respecting" players is hilarious in my mind.
I think this is where things went off the rails. Nobody is saying they want him to fail in football (let alone life, that was an embellishment). And he hasn't done anything to earn respect, which as far as the NFL is concerned, is not only not controversial, but absolutely true. Who says we have to respect him for his college exploits, instead of acknowledging he has been a mess in the NFL? I'm not judging you, but just pointing out the logical contradiction - if your point is it is wrong to judge people, are you judging the poster? :)

Bob,

I am not qualified enough to really rate how prolific or not Manziel was a passer in college. I can simply go by those who are more qualified than myself and what they have said about him.

On stats alone his passing numbers are very good and every bit as good as a guy like Russell Wilson's were in college. I am of the belief that if Manziel fails it will be due to his attitude, work ethic and decision making. Based on what plenty of far more qualified people than me have said is he has more than enough arm strength, talent, and skill to be a competent starting NFL qb.

Bob,

I am not qualified enough to really rate how prolific or not Manziel was a passer in college. I can simply go by those who are more qualified than myself and what they have said about him.

On stats alone his passing numbers are very good and every bit as good as a guy like Russell Wilson's were in college. I am of the belief that if Manziel fails it will be due to his attitude, work ethic and decision making. Based on what plenty of far more qualified people than me have said is he has more than enough arm strength, talent, and skill to be a competent starting NFL qb.
based on my eyes from last season that is simply not the case.

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel - QB - Browns

Browns QB coach Kevin O’Connell wouldn’t rule out Johnny Manziel starting.

"My thoughts on Johnny have not changed," said O’Connell, who worked with Manziel during last year’s pre-draft process. "Right now coach (Mike) Pettine's been very clear that Josh McCown is here for a reason, but we build everything around competition." McCown has been comfortably ahead of Manziel at OTAs. Manziel is a longshot for the Week 1 job, but could make starts at some point this season.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer

Jun 13 - 5:05 PM

Rotoworld:

ESPN Browns reporter Pat McManamon said Johnny Manziel fumbled three snaps in a span of six plays at Tuesday's practice.

All of his fumbles came in the shotgun formation. Manziel seems to have gotten his personal life under control but on the football field he's still having trouble grasping basic concepts. The Browns haven't ruled out the idea of starting Manziel, but at this point, he just doesn't have the chops to compete with Josh McCown.

Source: Pat McManamon on Twitter
Jun 16 - 1:28 PM

It's nice to see he's getting his personal life straightened. Now he seems to proving that he may not be cut out to be an NFL QB. I'm not all that surprised to be honest. I think he has too much of his college style of play to change right now.

Faust said:
That will never go away if he has any success.

The second article there- I've heard a lot of talk about that practice. I expect it will be discussed a bunch in the boring weeks til camp opens. He WAS Johnny Football and they did call plays where he rolled out and ran around a bit. The throw to Smith was excellent enough that there were a bunch of tweets about it. My guess is muffing those shotgun snaps forced him to adlib and be himself. It must have gone well since after the muffs they started calling those rollouts and swing passes and it's been Johnny and McCown running a typical stay in pocket O all this time before that.

Maybe that's all he's got. Maybe 3 years from now someone will say "this one practice..." but those muffed shotgun snaps could have flipped the switch for the Browns and Johnny. We'll see, we'll see

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel has struggled with "throwing accuracy" at spring practices.

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi says Manziel has impressed the coaching staff with "improvement in little things, such as getting the plays called and off on time," but his ball placement remains a major issue. Grossi believes Connor Show or even Thad Lewis could eventually challenge Manziel to be the Browns' No. 2 quarterback behind locked-in (imagine that) starter Josh McCown.

Source: ESPN Cleveland
Jun 19 - 10:55 AM

Rotoworld:

Johnny Manziel has struggled with "throwing accuracy" at spring practices.

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi says Manziel has impressed the coaching staff with "improvement in little things, such as getting the plays called and off on time," but his ball placement remains a major issue. Grossi believes Connor Show or even Thad Lewis could eventually challenge Manziel to be the Browns' No. 2 quarterback behind locked-in (imagine that) starter Josh McCown.

Source: ESPN Cleveland
Jun 19 - 10:55 AM
Pretty sure he would get straight cut if he cannot win the #2 job in training camp coming up.

That previous point where Grossi was real negative and the other Browns reporters weren't. I'm not sure how to take him re Manziel. He's a long time good reporter, but he seems like the unusual team writer that might be a hater of one player. It's unusual for one reporter to have such a differing view than the others

Users who are viewing this thread