Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

Everyone talks about how his running won't translate into the NFL, but Manziel consistently makes throws that are flat out jaw dropping. Or they say he's not mentally ready for the NFL but he had every opportunity to implode last night down 38-17 with Duke getting the ball to start the 2nd half. He never quit on that team despite the defense not stopping Duke once in the 1st half. He was on the sideline constantly riding people to never give up and took the team on his back in the 2nd half and made plays that I don't know if anyone else could've made. I'm not sure what else the guy could do, if you truly watched him play this year and still think he has no shot to succeed in the NFL just because he's not 6'4" then its pretty pointless to debate anymore because there is nothing he's ever going to do that will change people's minds about him. He's 6'1" and acted like a knucklehead in the offseason so people made up their mind about him and ignored everything he did to improve his game this year.

:goodposting:

Manziel was impressive last night. He willed his team to victory. He is a playmaker and a leader at the most important position in football.

Could not agree more but he already had me after the first Alabama game last year in terms of his NFL ability. Honestly not sure how anyone can have seen his two games against Alabama and come away with doubts he'd be a high pick in the NFL.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP

His argument is pretty ridiculous, but there's really no reason to bring up Ferguson or the I can't breathe protests in response. Pretty poor taste here guys.

If we're not calling him Johnny Viking in May I'll be very disappointed.

as a Lions fan, I agree.

ok, not really. He's a guy I want to not like. But I enjoy watching him play. Good luck getting a coach that will keep his ego in check (well, reasonably)

The nightmare scenario as a Lions fan is the Vikings hire Love Smith, he brings Tedford with him, and then you get Manziel - I think that combo would be dangerous.

Team me too.

They'll need to trade up. He won't make it out of the top 5 unless he face plants in the evaluation process or maybe if Mariota changes his mind.

You got to consider 4 of the top 5 teams in the draft need a QB. 3 of those franchises have needed a QB for a long time and those franchises could use an injection of excitement a guy like Manziel would provide (Raiders, Browns, Jags). The 4th team is the Texans whose fan base would likely go nuts if Johnny only had to travel about an hour and half down the state to start his NFL career. Not saying he'll be picked as a marketing ploy either, he'll be picked based on his merits as player but I can't see ownership of some of these teams not being excited about the excitement he could bring to a franchise/fan base.

You and me both .. But short of trading up I don't see him falling to the Vikings now :kicksrock:

Team me too.

They'll need to trade up. He won't make it out of the top 5 unless he face plants in the evaluation process or maybe if Mariota changes his mind.

You got to consider 4 of the top 5 teams in the draft need a QB. 3 of those franchises have needed a QB for a long time and those franchises could use an injection of excitement a guy like Manziel would provide (Raiders, Browns, Jags). The 4th team is the Texans whose fan base would likely go nuts if Johnny only had to travel about an hour and half down the state to start his NFL career. Not saying he'll be picked as a marketing ploy either, he'll be picked based on his merits as player but I can't see ownership of some of these teams not being excited about the excitement he could bring to a franchise/fan base.

I could be completely misreading things, but I don't think Cleveland takes him. Hoyer is their starter heading into 2014. And he'll be good.

Team me too.

I could be completely misreading things, but I don't think Cleveland takes him. Hoyer is their starter heading into 2014. And he'll be good.

I think Cleveland is dying for a real franchise QB and I think it's the the number one reason they dealt Richardson to put the ammo together to get one.

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 29 Dec

@nfldraftscout their brass criss-crossed the country looking at every QB. #1 on their priority list.

I think the only way Hoyer is the starter heading into 2014 is actually if they do draft a rookie QB but opt to let him learn awhile. I don't see any situation the Browns envision Hoyer as the answer for 2014 or beyond. If Mcdaniels does end up as the head coach I think Cassell and Mallet become more attractive fall back options to them than Hoyer, provided the compensation works.

Team me too.

Brian Hoyer who would still be backing up Tom Brady if Ryan Mallett hadn't won the job?

I enjoy watching him play. I've seen him maybe 10 times and enjoyed it. But I see him as a mid 1st.

Positives. Enthusiasm, accuracy, mobility, arm strength

Negatives. He rarely makes more than 1 read in the pocket, I think he has great WRs that bail him out at times and are very open, he's not strong enough to escape nfl tacklers and make a lot of these plays at the next level, decisions he is making now are INTs at the next level.

The height and attitude doesn't bother me at all. It's more that his escapability and go for broke decisions may not translate smoothly to the next level.

Everyone talks about how his running won't translate into the NFL, but Manziel consistently makes throws that are flat out jaw dropping. Or they say he's not mentally ready for the NFL but he had every opportunity to implode last night down 38-17 with Duke getting the ball to start the 2nd half. He never quit on that team despite the defense not stopping Duke once in the 1st half. He was on the sideline constantly riding people to never give up and took the team on his back in the 2nd half and made plays that I don't know if anyone else could've made. I'm not sure what else the guy could do, if you truly watched him play this year and still think he has no shot to succeed in the NFL just because he's not 6'4" then its pretty pointless to debate anymore because there is nothing he's ever going to do that will change people's minds about him. He's 6'1" and acted like a knucklehead in the offseason so people made up their mind about him and ignored everything he did to improve his game this year.

Sorry but you didn't see what I saw last night. On the field he is never going to have the kind of room to run like he had in that game as NFL defensive players are night and day speed-wise as compared to Duke players. He's not RG3 from 2012 as far as running ability. He has some elusiveness and can improvise and make plays but I don't see him trying to hurdle over a defender, land on his feet, scramble and then make a throw in the NFL.

I'm not declaring him a bust but I also feel his chances of being one are much greater than other players who don't have his maturity issues. If you don't see any red flags with his on and off the field behavior and lack of maturity then I guess I won't waste my time discussing it any further. To me there are huge concerns with his overall attitude and lack of maturity.

This is my overall take. Attitude and maturity bother me- a little bit TOO much emotion and in your face.

On the plus side, he has a quick release and can throw with reasonable accuracy from almost any platform. Superb touch. I don't think he has a + arm for the NFL, but it's strong enough (average).

He accuracy is decent, but seems slightly over-rated- he left yards and completions on the field in that bowl game by throwing a bit behind crossing WRs (especially in the first half). Size is an issue, but not a deal-breaker. He seems to make good decisions throwing the ball, but VERY questionable decisions once he decides to run- that %#^$& won't fly in the NFL, and I'm not sure his attitude and "moxy" (stubborn mule-headedness seems more appropriate) will allow him to adjust. That's why I think he's over-rated as a top 10 pick- just too much risk there.

I enjoy watching him play. I've seen him maybe 10 times and enjoyed it. But I see him as a mid 1st.

Positives. Enthusiasm, accuracy, mobility, arm strength

Negatives. He rarely makes more than 1 read in the pocket, I think he has great WRs that bail him out at times and are very open, he's not strong enough to escape nfl tacklers and make a lot of these plays at the next level, decisions he is making now are INTs at the next level.

The height and attitude doesn't bother me at all. It's more that his escapability and go for broke decisions may not translate smoothly to the next level.

I agree with pretty much everything besides for the great recivers remark. I've watched every game and haven't seen a great receiver anywhere. Everyone gets caught up in the Mike Evans hype. He is a big body with decent ball skills that had a huge game on a big stage. Hardly ever runs a route and really doesn't do much besides catch jump balls that people his size should routinely make. Does he bail him out sometimes sure but that's what he is supposed to do. As far as the other receivers they are all pretty bad. A whole lot of drops this season from the wideouts. Especially from Kennedy and Gonzales. I feel behind Evans, Labhardt is their best option.

Hoyer was excellent before getting injured. They still might pick a QB though. Houston, Jax, Oak, Minn all should. StL, TB, Cle might want one.

I think 5 QBs - Teddy, JFF, Bortles, Hundley, & Carr all go in the top 10.

As a Carolina fan I would love this.

I may be way off base here but I have this feeling that older Vikings fans are going to see Johnny as a Fran Tarkenton type of guy and that may drive some clammoring for him there.

I hope I'm wrong about this guy, overall. I hope he is Russell Wilson or Drew Brees or a Mike Vick that can escape and put on a show and stay healthy but something in me just has the thought that he won't make it long in the NFL (maybe taking punishment, maybe its the top notch attitude he's missing. I dunno.) Just looks like the guy you always wanted on your team when you were playing sandlot football but that same guy would try out for the HS team and it just never fit. Hope I'm wrong.

as a Lions fan, I agree.

ok, not really. He's a guy I want to not like. But I enjoy watching him play. Good luck getting a coach that will keep his ego in check (well, reasonably)

The nightmare scenario as a Lions fan is the Vikings hire Lovie Smith, he brings Tedford with him, and then you get Manziel - I think that combo would be dangerous.

Doesn't Tampa pick in front of the Vikings? ;)

as a Lions fan, I agree.

The nightmare scenario as a Lions fan is the Vikings hire Lovie Smith, he brings Tedford with him, and then you get Manziel - I think that combo would be dangerous.

sure. It will be interesting to see if they stick with Glennon. It seems they should.

as a Lions fan, I agree.

sure. It will be interesting to see if they stick with Glennon. It seems they should.

New head coach. New OC. We shall see. Glennon seems like more of a Tedford guy than Manziel does, but if the Vikings are salivating over JFF, the Bucs need to get something for their pick.

Funny how last offseason people were questioning whether Manziel was even worth a 3rd round pick and know he looks like Top 5 lock. Things change.

HOU is in such a tough situation I think. I cant think of the last team to have such a talented roster across the board picking Top 5 let alone 1st overall. Because of that, I think it makes it easier for them to pass on Clowney - or at least have an excuse to - even though that may not end up being the wise or safe decision. Regardless of the Clowney factor, they are stuck deciding between as of now it would seem 3 very talented QBs. Do they go with the hometown favorite Im guessing the fans will be screaming for in Manziel, the guy who has long been considered the best QB of this draft in Bridgewater, or the late riser who may very well be the best all around QB and fit in the NFL in Bortles.

Major pressure on HOU with this pick. If they go QB and pick the wrong guy, by the time they do find a QB there's a very good chance their talented roster has gone to waste and most of those guys are gone or past their prime.

Team me too.

I think Cleveland is dying for a real franchise QB and I think it's the the number one reason they dealt Richardson to put the ammo together to get one.

Daniel Jeremiah @MoveTheSticks 29 Dec

@nfldraftscout their brass criss-crossed the country looking at every QB. #1 on their priority list.

I think the only way Hoyer is the starter heading into 2014 is actually if they do draft a rookie QB but opt to let him learn awhile. I don't see any situation the Browns envision Hoyer as the answer for 2014 or beyond. If Mcdaniels does end up as the head coach I think Cassell and Mallet become more attractive fall back options to them than Hoyer, provided the compensation works.

Cleveland is getting a quarterback but no one knows who right now.

Hoyer appears to be the starter at the beginning of next year even if/when they take a rookie signal caller.

If McDaniels gets the head coaching gig he will not be able to call his shot and over ride Banner/Lombardi to insert Ryan Mallet or Matt Cassell to build the team around.

holy smokes brohans this guy was my favorite thing to watch in college football it was all razzle dazzle all the time with crazy runs and throws and escapes like he was james bond he would take the ball and throw a td and say my name is football jonny football and then grab a martini and talk to the papershakers while his d gave up half a hondo points and then still win bam right there brohans i hope that he goes to the packers and they freeze him until rodgers is done take that to the bank brohans

• Like 3

St Louis will take their 2nd and ship it to the highest bidder to jump in front of Jax. Manziel will go #2 overall.

This actually isn't a bad call...As a Card's fan I hope he does not fall below 10. Reading through the posts above, i am mortified to think he could possibly wear an AZ uniform. I think this kid is going to be a Ryan Leaf like bust for some poor team. Average arm are, poor attitude, frail size, etc are not what i would expect from a top 5 pick. If i were an NFL GM i would avoid him like the plague...

St Louis will take their 2nd and ship it to the highest bidder to jump in front of Jax. Manziel will go #2 overall.

I agree 100%. The only way I don't see this happening is if Clowney wows the Rams. Which is a very good possibility.

I agree 100%. The only way I don't see this happening is if Clowney wows the Rams. Which is a very good possibility.
St. L isn't taking Clowney with The 2 studs they already have at DE. They will trade that pick and the team moving up will be looking for Clowney, not Manziel.

holy smokes brohans this guy was my favorite thing to watch in college football it was all razzle dazzle all the time with crazy runs and throws and escapes like he was james bond he would take the ball and throw a td and say my name is football jonny football and then grab a martini and talk to the papershakers while his d gave up half a hondo points and then still win bam right there brohans i hope that he goes to the packers and they freeze him until rodgers is done take that to the bank brohans

do you talk like this? Every one of your posts hurts to read.

St. L isn't taking Clowney with The 2 studs they already have at DE. They will trade that pick and the team moving up will be looking for Clowney, not Manziel.

I think this is true. The Rams are in a weird spot. #2 pick, don't need the players most would put in the top 5 (QBs, DE, LT), but how far down can they trade? If this were FF it would be pretty easy to keep sliding down a spot or two, walk away with a plethora of later and 2015 picks.

I think this is true. The Rams are in a weird spot. #2 pick, don't need the players most would put in the top 5 (QBs, DE, LT), but how far down can they trade? If this were FF it would be pretty easy to keep sliding down a spot or two, walk away with a plethora of later and 2015 picks.

It's a terrific opportunity for them to be in that spot that they have the #2 and #13. Gives them tremendous flexibility and the opportunity to rebuild for years to come with some good moves.

No team is going to trade up to the 2 slot to draft a defensive end. I fully understand the kind of player he is but if someone moves up to 2 it will be for Teddy or Johnny I guarantee that much.

Take freezing him to the bank? Not only is that impossible, it is unnecessary this weekend in Green Bay where they will already be frozen. Where's my ignore button?

It's a terrific opportunity for them to be in that spot that they have the #2 and #13. Gives them tremendous flexibility and the opportunity to rebuild for years to come with some good moves.

When do the draft people have the top wideout going? I think that's the spot the Rams want.

With Bradford, I think it might be something to seriously consider if they can trade for a #1 next year. Give Sam another year, if not bring in a top rookie. I don't see them taking a top rookie QB now but more of a later pick as just in case type. If Sam and the later pick guy doesn't pan out, they have nothing. First rounders are all awesome in April so trades then never plan on a first rounder not panning out.

Aren't the OL supposed to be much stronger in next year's draft too?

No team is going to trade up to the 2 slot to draft a defensive end. I fully understand the kind of player he is but if someone moves up to 2 it will be for Teddy or Johnny I guarantee that much.

I wouldn't put it past ATL to trade up to #2 and take Clowney. IMO it's their biggest need and they have definately shown the willingness to trade up to acquire top talent/needs.

Cowboys need to do anything they can to draft him

this would be great, i cant stand the cowboys.

didn't Romo just get extended?

Yeah so probably a pipe dream. He's overpaid IMO http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/tony-romo/ and they are so stuck for a while unless some team wants to trade.

A Texas native with the kind of press Manziel's been getting, would go over so big as the Cowboys QB.

Google Jerry Jones wants Manziel to see a ton of (not recent) comments by him.

Many people consider Romo a choker and joke about him.

If Manziel wins there, if the press is going nuts, would people suddenly not frown upon Jones as GM?

I think it would be interesting if they were to somehow get Manziel and get rid of Romo.

If Manziel goes anywhere in the top 10, it might just be the single biggest reach in draft history. The guy has second day talent at best not to mention highly questionable leadership and judgement.

I love when people identify themselves this way. Makes it easier around here.

If Manziel goes anywhere in the top 10, it might just be the single biggest reach in draft history. The guy has second day talent at best not to mention highly questionable leadership and judgement.

Unlike some others, I will also readily admit when I am wrong. I just don't want my team anywhere near him on draft day. Especially if it's going to cost a top 10 pick to get him.

Unlike some others, I will also readily admit when I am wrong. I just don't want my team anywhere near him on draft day. Especially if it's going to cost a top 10 pick to get him.
Unless your team has a franchise QB, I don't understand why you would say this. I don't know what he will do in the NFL, and neither do you. I know one thing, he is a game changing playmaker that will bring a lot of attention to a franchise. Basically everything you would want out of a top 10 pick. Haters gonna hate.......

Unless your team has a franchise QB, I don't understand why you would say this. I don't know what he will do in the NFL, and neither do you. I know one thing, he is a game changing playmaker that will bring a lot of attention to a franchise. Basically everything you would want out of a top 10 pick. Haters gonna hate.......

He is 6ft 200lbs, character issues and concerns about his arm strength. Thats why people may be hesitant.

He is 6ft 200lbs, character issues and concerns about his arm strength. Thats why people may be hesitant.

Video game numbers in the best conference in college football.

• Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'