Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP

His argument is pretty ridiculous, but there's really no reason to bring up Ferguson or the I can't breathe protests in response. Pretty poor taste here guys.

Looks fine tonight

Were we watching the same game? I saw a guy who progressed through his full set of reads about three times, got happy feet in the pocket quite a bit, and airmailed a half-dozen passes at least.

He looks a lot better than last year, but that's not necessarily saying much.

Yeah, I think defenses will start treating him like VIck. Don't blitz him in passing situations, just mush rush to keep him in the pocket and spy him. Make him beat you with his arm. He has an okay arm if sets his back foot and drives the ball but his footwork looked awful. If you must bring pressure, don't let him out to his right.

The Bengals had something to do with Manziel staying contained within the pocket. Plus they built a lead and that took the guesswork out of what Manziel had to do. That game was still much ahead of last year's disaster. I'd like to dump on the guy but truth is he looks untrusted by the coaching staff. That was a tough matchup, undefeated team, excellent defense, rivalry game on the road. The Browns run game has become a shambles. The WR corps after TB is ridiculous.

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

He was fine in the 1st, and regressed a bit in the 2nd due to staying in the pocket more, which is what the HC wanted given what he stated in the interview at the end of the half. However, I'd be interested to see the number of drops his targets had. It seemed abnormally high, but since I no longer have PFF's advanced stats, I do not have a resource to look that up.

He was fine in the 1st, and regressed a bit in the 2nd due to staying in the pocket more, which is what the HC wanted given what he stated in the interview at the end of the half. However, I'd be interested to see the number of drops his targets had. It seemed abnormally high, but since I no longer have PFF's advanced stats, I do not have a resource to look that up.

I'd argue the problems in the 2nd half had more to do with not running the ball and the coaching staff forgetting about Duke Johnson. Again. Manziel and his WR's didn't help matters, but the coaching set them up to fail.

• Like 1

I agree with the majority here. He has one of the worst supporting casts in the nfl. No true legit receivers, no real running game, a coaching staff that doesn't want to use his strengths and he even had 2 of their 3 best wrs out. He had no turnovers, numerous dropped passes. Put Geno Smith, Kaperneck, EJ Manuel, Mallett, or any other scrub that has started games and they probably would have 3-4 picks and led them to zero points. I think he shows potential in the right situation.

31st ranked rushing "attack" isn't helping either QB any.

Neither is playing from behind.

No run game. Awful WRs. Manziel is in a tough spot. Cleveland has to play him at this point just to get him experience and see what they have.

Not sure any Brown is worth owning in FF at this point.

Regarding people saying there were a lot of drops: I would ask, if his receiver had not made the touchdown catch, would you have called that a drop? Because to me, that looked like a GREAT catch on a ball that was right on the edge of catchable.

Just watching the highlight of that play, the name Mark Sanchez popped into my head.

EDIT: I'm thinking drops should be thought of like interceptions; you've got to look at them individually.

Edited by Old Smiley

EDIT: I'm thinking drops should be thought of like interceptions; you've got to look at them individually.

The Browns pass catchers played like dog ####. They were being asked to catch bullets, so I expect more to hit the turf but that many? No.

Edited by MAC_32

When your first read is Travis Benjamin and your second read is Dwayne Bowe why WOULD you progress to your second read?

Barnidge.
Okay, when your first read is Barnidge...

Anyway, it's not a murderers row.

A lot of qb's do a lot more with less

Please list them.

When your first read is Travis Benjamin and your second read is Dwayne Bowe why WOULD you progress to your second read?

Barnidge.

Please list them.

Cam Newton - His line and wr's are way worse than Johnny footballs

Barnidge.

Please list them.

I believe you said "a lot".

Go on...

eta: QBR this season - Manziel 84.5, Cam 78.1. So not so much more after all?

Edited by matuski

I think it is very possible Manziel has nothing to work with, and also could never be good.

I don't forget knucklehead-ness. Manziel has shown maturity and reticence more than once. He knows what to say in front of the mic. I could easily see him getting a comfortable, maybe having some success even, and pulling his same crap. And I don't think he has the ability to show up, and hide his warts, the way Cam does.

• Like 1

Too many passes bounced of his WR's faces, knees, and chest.

He didn't play "good", but he has certainly improved to the point where he at least looks like there is SOME hope he can be a starting QB in the NFL. Not a particularly good one, but a starter.

That said, I don't think he will be.

Please list them.

Go on...

Josh McCown.

• Like 1

I was harsh on Manziel when others were giving him a pass last year when he went over the edge with the off-field issues and then when we finally saw him late last year he looked like he didn't belong in the league but the kid did spend months in rehab and he knew the playbook this year and he was ready against Tennessee even though he still needs lots of work but its not all on him.

Manziel dropped back to pass 40 times and was under pressure 20 times. Obviously the defense knew he was going to pass late in the game and pinned their ears back. No wonder he looked better earlier in the game before the Bengals started pulling away to the point the offense got boxed-in where they had to air it out and the Bengals could unleash the Cracken.

A couple of other things.

- The lack of a rushing attack hurt him

- Five dropped passes hurt him

- Short WRs hurt him

Last tidbit needs elaboration because short WRs are at such a disadvantage because they are not going to high-point catches like big WRs. They are, by-and-large, not going to out-muscle DBs. They have far less of a catch radius. And they won't make as many contested catches as bigger WRs and that is something Johnny had at A&M with Mike Evans.

He kept his team in a game nearly all the way against what might be a top 2-3 team in the NFL, on the road. The defense did them no favor at the end of the half on the offsides.

He wasn't great. He didn't show me anything that said "why do they continue to play McCown" but I must admit, he wasn't the dumpster fire I expected.

He kept his team in a game nearly all the way against what might be a top 2-3 team in the NFL, on the road. The defense did them no favor at the end of the half on the offsides.

He wasn't great. He didn't show me anything that said "why do they continue to play McCown" but I must admit, he wasn't the dumpster fire I expected.

Even if he wasn't a dumpster fire to accentuate the point, he's proven to be stunningly average at best, and really has no athletic upside for all his scrambling ability. And the main point is that douchbags exist across the NFL landscape, but they all have in common that they can play the game at a high level. Manziel is a garden variety douchbag. He won't last in this league for long playing like that.

Barnidge.

Please list them.

Go on...

are you saying you don't think Newton has done more than Manziel this year because of qbr?

Edited by Buffaloes

Not that I care but someone was going to post this eventually.

----------

http://bustedcoverage.com/2015/11/08/fun-johnny-manziel-returns-during-am-trip/

Updated:

13 hours ago

Fun Johnny Manziel Returns During A&M Trip

Same old. Disappointing, on a personal level.

What disappoints you about this?

Alcoholic with a lot on the line throwing it away again. It's not football, I know, but then again maybe it is.

----------

Updated:

13 hours ago

Fun Johnny Manziel Returns During A&M Trip

Alcoholic with a lot on the line throwing it away again. It's not football, I know, but then again maybe it is.

Throwing what away.. hanging out at a friends house?

Exactly.. so let him do what Wilson did while he learned to be better from the pocket.

Seattle sure as hell never instructed Wilson not to leave the pocket. "Yeah Russel is doing pretty well at X, I'm going to have to get him out of that at the half."

eta - i can't think of a worse franchise to go to as a QB needing development. No help at skill positions, and a coach that plays to your weaknesses.

Edited by matuski

at this point i fully endorse starting Manziel the rest of the year so they can move on from him at the end of the season.

Browns are likely going to get a crack at a top rookie QB in next year's draft so they will have to make a call but I'd wait a bit longer so as not to throw veterans under the bus. Also the off-field stuff might get him benched as soon as Josh is healthy so there's that to consider as well.

If Manziel screws up one more time you can't possibly go to him and sit a healthy Josh McCown the way he's been playing this year.

Interesting talk on Sirius Moving The Chains yesterday. Pat Kirwan says that he thinks that Manziel can make other starts but the Browns game coming up against the Steelers is such a rivalry game that the Browns owe it to their fans to start McCown since he gives them a better chance to win now. Basically this is their Super Bowl especially with all of the Steelers injuries. Let McCown start this game and if the Browns want to spend the other games doing an evaluation of Manziel, then fine.

Interesting talk on Sirius Moving The Chains yesterday. Pat Kirwan says that he thinks that Manziel can make other starts but the Browns game coming up against the Steelers is such a rivalry game that the Browns owe it to their fans to start McCown since he gives them a better chance to win now. Basically this is their Super Bowl especially with all of the Steelers injuries. Let McCown start this game and if the Browns want to spend the other games doing an evaluation of Manziel, then fine.

Steelers are hanging on by their fingernails to the last Wild Card playoff spot and Pittsburgh is the game Cleveland fans want more than anything but early reports said McCown could miss up to four weeks so I don't even know he has a legitimate chance to play this week.

at this point i fully endorse starting Manziel the rest of the year so they can move on from him at the end of the season.

:goodposting:

Its literally the ONLY reason they should start Manziel as McNown is clearly the superior QB. IMO What Manziel does rest of season isn't going to matter. He's not the Browns starting (or backup) QB of future. If playing him down the stretch is the quickest way for them to move from him.......so be it.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

if it were a home game, maybe. It's not though.

Pettine already saying McCown will start this week if he's healthy.

Good. They've had almost 2 years to evaluate Manziel & haven't deemed him worth starting. And he's shown next to nothing on the field.

The sad thing is people say he showed promise against Cincy. If that is promise, that's pretty ####### scary. At some point you've got to become a pocket QB. Running around like a chicken with its head cut off freelancing might work at 23-25, but it wont work at 30. Not to mention he's less athletic than most of these LB and DL. Manziel would do well to just be an NFL backup. Though that is very very very highly working against him with all his own field crap and style of play. He might get a 2nd chance camp invite but could easily see the Tebow treatment.

Johnny should get used to the co-ed parties. He'll be able to attend all of them he wants very soon -- weekend/weekday won't matter. Party it up all you want. :thumbup:

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

----------

Updated: 13 hours ago

2Fun Johnny Manziel Returns During A&M Trip

Exactly what sort of behavior do you expect from an addict?

Alkies, gamblers & junkies relapse and disappoint. It's what they do. It. Does. Not. End

:shrug:

Not judging him, not condemning him, not saying he's an immature or lacks self-control. He may not be any of those things. He's got a disease, he's out of control. He will #### his life up, & take people down with him.

That's what alkies/gamblers/junkies do. It is an endless cycle.

If you have an alcoholic, gambler or junkie on your life, get away. Don't get sucked into their vortex. Or choose to love them or support them unconditionally. Just don't act surprised or disappointed when the cycle starts up again.

WGAF about a celebrity or athlete? It has no effect on my life. Is it sad & pitiful & senseless? Yup.

Johnny Manziel is an alcoholic. He will #### his life up. That's what alcoholics do. Or they battle every day. Expecting a cure is pointless. If he wakes up tomorrow and decides that's it, I'm never drinking again, he has that battle every day for the rest of his life. He'll wake up in 15 years and he'll still want a drink.

Does. Not. End. But you can always choose to fight that battle.

• Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'