Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'

The issue isn't so much the drinking as the refusal to follow the orders and seeming want to thumb his nose at his employer by disobeying them publicly. The affliction is douchebaggery, not alcoholism.

Seems to be the case. Kid is pissing away his second chance.

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

RIP

His argument is pretty ridiculous, but there's really no reason to bring up Ferguson or the I can't breathe protests in response. Pretty poor taste here guys.

Bleacher Report NFL

@BR_NFL

Browns are starting QB Johnny Manziel for the rest of season, according to multiple reports pic.twitter.com/7fLcsQDNQH

9:48 AM - 17 Nov 2015

This makes sense for the Browns. They have to figure out what they have.
They have a talented QB with an alcohol use disorder who by the look of the TMZ video relapsed during the bye week. Pass.

Can someone here backup this "alcohol use disorder" with a diagnosis? Until this is shown, these statements are HUGE assumptions. Seems it is true only because we keep repeating it?

Obviously the kid drinks a lot. So did I. So did everyone I knew at his age, including pro athletes.

I've asked a few times, the only thing I have seen so far is a vague quote from a concerned dad..... and Skip Bayless. Was the rehab for alcohol or drugs? My assumption was drugs... but I have yet to see it verified one way or another. :shrug:

And :lmao: @ the media trying to rake him over the coals about this video while he is trying to support a local Food Bank charity.

Okay. Substance use disorder, not necessarily alcohol. He checked himself into rehab so he's got a use disorder of some kind. Either way, if this video is from the bye week (and it might not be), then I would be very concerned about this. He doesn't seem to have bitten the bullet, does he?

That is what I am trying to determine.

Everyone is piling on him drinking - but if drinking wasn't the problem, and if there isn't anyone (clinically) telling him not to drink.... then who cares? He would be in the uber minority at his age if he wasn't drinking on a weekend he has off. :shrug:

Anyone with any kind of substance use disorder is putting themselves in harms way. Manziel's issues have gotten in the way of his functioning at work in ways that most people who drink do not. He gets named the starter and decides to party this week. He's putting his career at risk with this type of behavior. Would be very different if he did not have a use disorder. Stop enabling him! Haha. He isn't really walking the walk. I think it was alcohol he had an issue with too by the way Edited by Gandalf

Look. You know what Johnny is. He's probably the most talented QB you have on the team. Your team sucks. Either cut him and take a real moral stand or play him. Benching him just creates more turmoil. It doesn't teach a lesson.

Browns gonna Brown though

Why cut when Jerry Jones is looking for leaders like him.

The issue isn't so much the drinking as the refusal to follow the orders and seeming want to thumb his nose at his employer by disobeying them publicly. The affliction is douchebaggery, not alcoholism.

I disagree, think he did zero wrong and it's not his fault the Browns can't handle the fact he gets to go out to a bar on his bye week nor does Pettine or anyone else in that organization have any right to dictate how he spends his free time. He runs afoul of the law of NFL player policy that is something else, that's not what he did here.

Should be the best thing for him. I still don't know if he's good enough to be a starter and he might just be a backup level QB who may not be worth the hassle. I really don't know, he's gotten better but he's not there yet either. But for his long term growth as a player I think he's going to be a lot better served playing for a stronger organization who will not allow the media distractions to dictate lineup calls. And as an added bonus it sure would help his growth and figuring out how good he is when he's playing for a team that will actually get him some weapons.

Beginning to think he is doing everything in his power to get fired from the Browns.. No team in their right mind would trade for him..

But if he were to become a Free Agent... there are plenty of teams out there that would bring him in for cheap and take a chance. ..

:tinfoilhat: Jerry Jones has been whispering to his agent that the only way he becomes a Cowboy is if he is released.. ;)

Edited by snogger

Will Burge ‏ @ WillBurge 7m 7 minutes ago

Just heard from a # Browns source I havnt spoke to in a loooong time. They reached out to me. Coming out of reporter retirement 4 the day...

# Browns source 1/3: Its not the video or what he did, its what he SAID he wouldnt do. They feel he agreed to things before bye he ignored

# Browns source 2/3: Support for Manziel at the top is getting "shaky." Feels that if Pettine had it his way Manziel would be cut

Will Burge ‏ @ WillBurge 6m 6 minutes ago

# Browns source 3/3: Dont rule anything out, could start or they could cut him. "Nothing comes close" to the divide Manziel has made in Berea

But if he were to become a Free Agent... there are plenty of teams out there that would bring him in for cheap and take a chance. ..

It only takes 1 but plenty is a huge huge stretch.

Teams don't want the headaches. From a backup talent. Teams want an accountable, reliable QB that can learn and work in a system. None of which are Johnny Manziel.

Edited by Craig_MiamiFL

I disagree, think he did zero wrong and it's not his fault the Browns can't handle the fact he gets to go out to a bar on his bye week nor does Pettine or anyone else in that organization have any right to dictate how he spends his free time.

They aren't obligated to play him at all either.

That whole "you're not the boss of me" sentiment actually reflects the immaturity Manziel has displayed. He was in rehab earlier this year, so I'm quite sure there was some heavily-worded guidance sent his way about walking the straight and narrow path, at least for a while. But he doesn't strike me as someone smart enough to realize that, A) the media/paparazzi will be gunning for his party pics, and B) those guys in the suits that sign my paychecks, maybe it's not a grand idea to make them nervous or piss them off.

Beginning to think he is doing everything in his power to get fired from the Browns.. No team in their right mind would trade for him..

I went down this conspiracy angle in my mind. Really have been thinking it since before this season due to fact I think his rookie contract is fully guaranteed so he would have no financial loss and to what he must know is a head coach and possibly GM who never wanted him in the first place. So not hard to imagine he's sitting around thinking here I got no weapons,no support, someone feeding Mary Kay Cabot a video everytime I go clubbing and him thinking I'd be a lot better off if they would just let me go.

But now at this time it would seem pretty stupid if this was his goal. You are correct in that no one will trade for him and if/when he's a FA someone will sign him, with the only caveat to that being if he does something really heinous off the field and gets Ray Riced.

But it would be a beyond ignorant move on his part if his goal right now was to get out of town when he finally has, or had, a chance to start and show teams what he can do. Because now if a a team is interested in him as a FA it's going to be to come in and compete for backup job, no one is going to sign him to be the starting QB until he shows he can play better. He's got these next few weeks to try and change that opinion so to me this blows the conspiracy theory.....unless of course he figured with these weapons to throw to, a coach who gets frustrated when he tries to play his style and a few cold weather games brewing that any tape he put up would likely not put him in a positive light.

In the end I don' think he's going to really terribly mind when he gets cut, but I don't think he's actually trying to make that happen right now or in the past.

I disagree, think he did zero wrong and it's not his fault the Browns can't handle the fact he gets to go out to a bar on his bye week nor does Pettine or anyone else in that organization have any right to dictate how he spends his free time. He runs afoul of the law of NFL player policy that is something else, that's not what he did here.

Should be the best thing for him. I still don't know if he's good enough to be a starter and he might just be a backup level QB who may not be worth the hassle. I really don't know, he's gotten better but he's not there yet either. But for his long term growth as a player I think he's going to be a lot better served playing for a stronger organization who will not allow the media distractions to dictate lineup calls. And as an added bonus it sure would help his growth and figuring out how good he is when he's playing for a team that will actually get him some weapons.

i disagree

a QB is the face of your franchise, they absolutely have a right to dictate how he conducts himself in person.

If the CEO of a company spent time in Rehab and then was continually out partying the board would have every right to can him. Same thing here. You can argue it is a bad decision, but they absolutely have the right and the obligation to protect the public image of their franchise

The NFL and the media is so dramatic, and the Browns are a terrible franchise.

Anyone who cares about a video that no one knows when it was taken in where a young man was drinking and dancing are the ones with the real issues.

Hardy can beat women, make a mockery of the league and get millions, but JFF cant dance and drink without getting benched.

I do not like JFF but he is getting very shady deal.

and by the way, lol at thinking a team that picks him up as a low cost free agent will be more patient with him than the browns have been.

:shrug: never said they'd be more patient.. Just that there would be a few teams that would bring him in at a very low contract, with under writings of "You do this and you get nothing"..

Teams have been willing to take in others who have done "worse" ( Vick, Hardy, etc..) so can't see him being a free agent for longer then a couple of days.

Edited by snogger

Anyone who cares about a video that no one knows when it was taken in where a young man was drinking and dancing are the ones with the real issues.

Hardy can beat women, make a mockery of the league and get millions, but JFF cant dance and drink without getting benched.

So

Because Jerry Jones doesn't care if his team is an embarrassment all other owners have to act the same?

this is not an NFL thing, it is a Browns thing. They have a right to decide that some jackhole who cannot put down the bottle and stay out of clubs for a week and a half when he is finally given the starting gig is not who they want representing their franchise. Oh, and he;s not that good on the field either. They've given him more than enough chances, the dude cannot seem to change who he is. That is his right, but they are under no obligation to employ him just because other teams employ worse people. That's some screwed up logic

and trust me, i do NOT like defending the Browns

and by the way, lol at thinking a team that picks him up as a low cost free agent will be more patient with him than the browns have been.

:shrug: never said they'd be more patient.. Just that there would be a few teams that would bring him at a very low contract, with under writings of "You do this and you get nothing"..

Teams have been willing to take in others who have done "worse" ( Vick, Hardy, etc..) so can't see him being a free agent for longer then a couple of days.

sure, but there's 0 chance he'll comply

he was GIVEN a starting job and could not just lay low for a bye week.

Yea that never happens. For sure Dallas bowed to public pressure and quit being patient with Hardy.

If Manzeil was 1/2 as good as Hardy this would, sadly, be a different story

he's not, he kinda sucks, and he is a misbehaving deva

good luck with that

The fact that you have to use Hardy and that unethical, no-morals idiot Jerry Jones as your example, tells you all you need to know. Maybe Manziel can go there next. They don't care what their players do off the field.

The best part is that he was going to be a starter on Monday Night Football. Against the league's worst pass defense. This one has to hurt.

You can really tell Manziel was born to a very wealthy man. Always got what he wanted. Was always big man on campus. He just isn't used to being told he can't do something. Some people just refuse to grow up and out of that college frat party scene. Until it's too late. Which will most-likely be after this season.

Again, this is about showing respect for your employer and being a professional. If your boss gave you an ultimatum to lay low over the holiday, you damn better comply if you care about your job.

Johnny doesn't give a crap about what you or I or Mary Kay Cabot think, which is fine, and maybe commendable, but he doesn't give a crap what the Browns think either. He's done nothing to suggest he'll care what any other team thinks should he get picked up.

I can understand why they benched him given his past issues but part of me feels bad for the kid. He was singing and drinking in a bar. The horror. If that was Gronk in that video nobody would have said a word. If he was pretty much anyone else nobody would have recorded video and put it on the internet.

Yea that never happens. For sure Dallas bowed to public pressure and quit being patient with Hardy.

good luck with that

He does not need luck. He's going to get all of his pay and depending on offset language in his contract when he's cut this off-season he might get to double dip and make more.

As for being half as good as Hardy I've no doubt teams out there think if you support him and give him weapons he can play. At a Hardy level? Probably not but his transgressions are not nearly as bad either and how many games did Hardy help Dallas win when Romo was out? Same as you or me that's how many. Point being QB's, even backup QB's, are in demand.

Again, this is about showing respect for your employer and being a professional. If your boss gave you an ultimatum to lay low over the holiday, you damn better comply if you care about your job.

Johnny doesn't give a crap about what you or I or Mary Kay Cabot think, which is fine, and maybe commendable, but he doesn't give a crap what the Browns think either. He's done nothing to suggest he'll care what any other team thinks should he get picked up.

What about his employer showing JFF some respect and let him live his life a little bit? The Browns need to worry about trying to get wins,not be role models. The end game is a super bowl, not moral award of the year.

Greg Hardy is one of the best players in the league. Manziel is a backup for the Browns. HTH.

good luck with that

He does not need luck. He's going to get all of his pay and depending on offset language in his contract when he's cut this off-season he might get to double dip and make more.

As for being half as good as Hardy I've no doubt teams out there think if you support him and give him weapons he can play. At a Hardy level? Probably not but his transgressions are not nearly as bad either and how many games did Hardy help Dallas win when Romo was out? Same as you or me that's how many. Point being QB's, even backup QB's, are in demand.

we are not sure he IS a QB

What about his employer showing JFF some respect and let him live his life a little bit? The Browns need to worry about trying to get wins,not be role models. The end game is a super bowl, not moral award of the year.

Respect. Good one.

He lost that privilege after the money phone, floating on the swan, oversleeping a walkthrough because he was hungover, going to rehab, etc. There's more than enough evidence to say this is Johnny's fault.

Respect. Good one.

Like the Browns deserve any from anyone?

One would assume after the prior incidents, and rehab, and the incident with his girl that they had some discussions about what they expect out of him. He pretty much indicated that before the bye week.

How many times can he say "sorry, i have matured" before you expect him to actually, you know, mature. He is named the starter and his first thought is PARTY!

that's all you need to know.

Brandon Wheeden was a better draft pick than this loser

Maybe the see these antics and attention as distracting towards their team and goals of winning?

I don't think JF was doing anything wrong, per say. It doesn't matter, though. Clearly his team and powers that be do. They gave him instructions to lay low. He blatantly disregarded them.

The truth of the matter is there is probably a lot more behind this and why Clev feels the way they do. We only get to see a small portion of it play out thanks to TMZ.

He lost that privilege after the money phone, floating on the swan, oversleeping a walkthrough because he was hungover, going to rehab, etc. There's more than enough evidence to say this is Johnny's fault.

Greg Hardy beat a woman missed practice and still makes million and is a starter. Do you see why JFF is benched and Hardy isnt?

TALENT. Only reason. He was singing and dancing. The fact people get worked up about that shows how sensitive some are.

Forget the partying behavior.

Forget the inane inability to avoid being filmed while partying.

Forget the dbag friends and the toxic girlfriend.

Forget the promises broken or what it means for him being an addict.

But: -> Why does this dipsht have to fly to Texas to party every single time?

Edited by SaintsInDome2006

Greg Hardy beat a woman missed practice and still makes million and is a starter. Do you see why JFF is benched and Hardy isnt?

TALENT. Only reason. He was singing and dancing. The fact people get worked up about that shows how sensitive some are.

OK, in the NFL talent wins 99.99% of the time. We've seen this with a slew of other guys.

Plus, you don't know that talent is the ONLY reason for this. There is likely a lo of things going on behind the scene that aren't public. I'm sure talent is a primary reason.

Maybe the see these antics and attention as distracting towards their team and goals of winning?

I don't think JF was doing anything wrong, per say. It doesn't matter, though. Clearly his team and powers that be do. They gave him instructions to lay low. He blatantly disregarded them.

The truth of the matter is there is probably a lot more behind this and why Clev feels the way they do. We only get to see a small portion of it play out thanks to TMZ.

What about the owner robbing people, but getting to keep his team. Was that a distraction?

What about the GM breaking league rules, and getting to keep his job. Was that a distraction?

OK, in the NFL talent wins 99.99% of the time. We've seen this with a slew of other guys.

Plus, you don't know that talent is the ONLY reason for this. There is likely a lo of things going on behind the scene that aren't public. I'm sure talent is a primary reason.

If he was throwing for 300 and 3 a game, no one would care and he would be starting. That is my point.

• Faust changed the title to Official Johnny Manziel Thread - participates in Fan Controlled Football: 'Feels like I'm super washed up'