What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (3 Viewers)

JuniorNB said:
dirtyjay said:
jurb26 said:
dirtyjay said:
Greg Hardy beat a woman missed practice and still makes million and is a starter. Do you see why JFF is benched and Hardy isnt?

TALENT. Only reason. He was singing and dancing. The fact people get worked up about that shows how sensitive some are.
OK, in the NFL talent wins 99.99% of the time. We've seen this with a slew of other guys.Plus, you don't know that talent is the ONLY reason for this. There is likely a lo of things going on behind the scene that aren't public. I'm sure talent is a primary reason.
If he was throwing for 300 and 3 a game, no one would care and he would be starting. That is my point.
You've finally figured out the Barry Bonds rule. Bonds was always a surly, miserable jerk. Teammates didn't like him. But he was a great all around player and 30-30 guy the first half of his career and a phenomenal power hitter when he was all jacked up on roids. So he was always going to have a job. As soon as he got a little older and he wasn't cracking out 50+ home runs anymore (and wasn't offering the ticket sales/TV viewers of the home run chase) he was unceremoniously unsigned by the Giants and no other team wanted him either. Hardy is Steroids Bonds. Manziel is washed up Bonds.
one of the worst analogies of all time. bonds was never washed up. look at his final year. led the league in walks, 28 hr and 1045 ops. the league and owners colluded to keep him out of baseball. perhaps that is indeed similar to manziel in that he is not getting a fair shot either.
lolol. Tinfoil hat

perhaps that is indeed similar to manziel in that he is not getting a fair shot either.
I guarantee that, if Manziel is cut from Cle, he will end up with another team quick, fast and in a hurry. Probably Dallas, which makes the Hardy talk that much more entertaining.
that's because Dallas has zero character requirements. Most teams will avoid him because the distractions outweigh the talent. He's simply not a NFL quarterback.

Last edited by a moderator:
perhaps that is indeed similar to manziel in that he is not getting a fair shot either.
I guarantee that, if Manziel is cut from Cle, he will end up with another team quick, fast and in a hurry. Probably Dallas, which makes the Hardy talk that much more entertaining.
that's because Dallas has zero character requirements. Most teams will avoid him because the distractions outweigh the talent. He's simply not a NFL quarterback.
Because he couldnt play QB for a bad team with bad coaching and is only in his 2nd year, he cant play in the NFL? OR because he drinks a beer like most people in the world, can he not play in the NFL? You should be a paid scout not just sharing your opinion on message boards. Tell me one QB who has been successful in Cleveland, just one, in the past 12 years.

In a league where Gabbert, Yates and Clausen has started this year, yes yes yes JFF can be an NFL QB.

You should remove yourself from this conversation, because just like anyone who hates someone, they cant be reasonable.

Because he couldnt play QB for a bad team with bad coaching and is only in his 2nd year, he cant play in the NFL? OR because he drinks a beer like most people in the world, can he not play in the NFL? You should be a paid scout not just sharing your opinion on message boards. Tell me one QB who has been successful in Cleveland, just one, in the past 12 years.

In a league where Gabbert, Yates and Clausen has started this year, yes yes yes JFF can be an NFL QB.

You should remove yourself from this conversation, because just like anyone who hates someone, they cant be reasonable.
he can't play quarterback because he's not intelligent enough to read defenses. Or dedicated enough to try to learn. He turns every play into a broken play and plays a schoolyard style of football. His shining moment as a pro was against Pittsburgh two weeks ago in a blowout against a soft defense. He managed 9 points. And that's not taking into account his immaturity and overall lack of character.

he can't play quarterback because he's not intelligent enough to read defenses. Or dedicated enough to try to learn. He turns every play into a broken play and plays a schoolyard style of football. His shining moment as a pro was against Pittsburgh two weeks ago in a blowout against a soft defense. He managed 9 points. And that's not taking into account his immaturity and overall lack of character.
Glad you know this much about him through what the media wants you to know.

He is not liked by his coaching staff, end of story.

He has barely got a chance, to say he cant play is based of hatred for him.

He has shown potential, he just needs a chance from an organization who doesnt dislike him.

Is he the greatest, no I do not believe so, but I also dont have the audacity to think he cant play when he barely had a chance to take the helm.

Through 2 seasons he has barely thrown 150 passes yet in his career. a 5-2 TD/Int ratio this year. He has potential. But just like you, the coaches dont like him.

He has shown potential, he just needs a chance from an organization who doesnt dislike him.

Is he the greatest, no I do not believe so, but I also dont have the audacity to think he cant play when he barely had a chance to take the helm.

Through 2 seasons he has barely thrown 150 passes yet in his career. a 5-2 TD/Int ratio this year. He has potential. But just like you, the coaches dont like him.
well if it's just Cleveland coaches, I'm sure there will be a huge bidding war after the season amongst the other 31 teams for his talents. Just watch

well if it's just Cleveland coaches, I'm sure there will be a huge bidding war after the season amongst the other 31 teams for his talents. Just watch
31 teams rarely go after the same player, whats your point?

I'm sure no team will want him, not one of the 31 other teams, just watch.

They rather start blaine gabbert and jimmy clausen or yates. and try to get jason cambell out of retirement.

Your hate rhetoric for this guy is tired, but then again no one can be like the guy you love who you said had all the talent in the world like CMike. ;-)

They rather start blaine gabbert and jimmy clausen or yates. and try to get jason cambell out of retirement.

Your hate rhetoric for this guy is tired, but then again no one can be like the guy you love who you said had all the talent in the world like CMike. ;-)
manziel is a 4, talent wise. Probably about the same as Gabbert and Yates. But he's a 1, intelligence wise. And a 1, maturity wise. That's why Cleveland has had enough. There's a place for 4's in the league. Emergency backups. Clipboard holders. He's good enough to be on a roster if he wasn't such an entitled, immaturity frat boy.

manziel is a 4, talent wise. Probably about the same as Gabbert and Yates. But he's a 1, intelligence wise. And a 1, maturity wise. That's why Cleveland has had enough. There's a place for 4's in the league. Emergency backups. Clipboard holders. He's good enough to be on a roster if he wasn't such an entitled, immaturity frat boy.
He is an idiot, we all know this. Are there no idiots in the NFL?

Dez? Hardy? Lynch? Marshall? Suh? Peterson?

How many chances did Aldon Smith get? All idiots, just all are proven and talented players. JFF is not proven and as you can attest, some say he is not talented.

The coaches dont like his style/talent and him. If he was throwing for 300 and 3 they would love him and his singing dancing drink in the hand self. Part of why I think the Browns dont want him to play, they dont want to love him because they hate him too much.

Two discussions here that people are rolling into one, which is fine, because both make up Johnny. But I think some people think he sucks just because they dont like his attitude and cant separate the two. I would like to see his "punk" self as you stated play football for a good bit of time. After all this is football not foreign affairs. His attitude means nothing to me, I want to see him play football for a good stretch of time.

He has talent, you dont win a Heisman and play in the NFL without it. Some do better with that talent in the NFL but he still has it, lets see it for a period of time.

How many chances did Aldon Smith get? All idiots, just all are proven and talented players. JFF is not proven and as you can attest, some say he is not talented.

The coaches dont like his style/talent and him. If he was throwing for 300 and 3 they would love him and his singing dancing drink in the hand self. Part of why I think the Browns dont want him to play, they dont want to love him because they hate him too much.

Two discussions here that people are rolling into one, which is fine, because both make up Johnny. But I think some people think he sucks just because they dont like his attitude and cant separate the two. I would like to see his "punk" self as you stated play football for a good bit of time. After all this is football not foreign affairs. His attitude means nothing to me, I want to see him play football for a good stretch of time.

He has talent, you dont win a Heisman and play in the NFL without it. Some do better with that talent in the NFL but he still has it, lets see it for a period of time.
You're starting to figure it out. I'm proud of you. You listed all 8,9, & 10 skill level players. No 4's. If Manziel was an impact player, he'd have a longer leash. He's barely an NFL level talent. So he has no leeway when it comes to being a knucklehead.

You're starting to figure it out. I'm proud of you. You listed all 8,9, & 10 skill level players. No 4's. If Manziel was an impact player, he'd have a longer leash. He's barely an NFL level talent. So he has no leeway when it comes to being a knucklehead.
:no: Its what I have been saying the entire time, do more reading and less over reacting.

I just dont care about what he does off the field like you do.

I want to watch him play football, if I wanted morals I would go to church.

JFF has talent stop with the hyperbole.

If you are arguing that you think JF WILL be good, wow. He has very few skills to be a good NFL QB, and a terrible brain for it, which is even worse than not having physical skills.

Part of why I think the Browns dont want him to play, they dont want to love him because they hate him too much.
This has to be the most elaborate troll on this board in a long long time

Part of why I think the Browns dont want him to play, they dont want to love him because they hate him too much.
This has to be the most elaborate troll on this board in a long long time
Well when you delete the points around it and isolate its context to serve your trolling post, yes it does look like trolling. But good thing I have been making my points throughout the thread. I believe the real trolling comment is the one you just made.

:no: Its what I have been saying the entire time, do more reading and less over reacting.

It ain't about morals. Johnny is NOT a bad guy.

Problem is, he is an immature doofus that can never be the kind of guy he needs to be to lead an NFL franchise............and that would be even if he DID have good NFL talent, which unfortunately he does not.

Problem is, he is an immature doofus that can never be the kind of guy he needs to be to lead an NFL franchise............and that would be even if he DID have good NFL talent, which unfortunately he does not.
This. And if they really believed in him, they would have overlooked this. This was their way saying goodbye. They've seen enough.

If there was social media around years ago, many would have thought this about many players. Without Social Media you would know about JFFs antics.

This. And if they really believed in him, they would have overlooked this. This was their way saying goodbye. They've seen enough.
I agree, the coaches do not like him.

If you are arguing that you think JF WILL be good, wow. He has very few skills to be a good NFL QB, and a terrible brain for it, which is even worse than not having physical skills.
I've said for a long time that I'm not a JFF fan, of his game that is. I never felt it would translate to the NFL very well. That said, he does have some skills that could help him get there. He has a good NFL arm and can make all the throws. He also has a certain magic when the play breaks down, which is surprising given his actual athletic measurables. He's just never learned to play from within the pocket or an NFL scheme and he allows his backyard style to become unleashed far too often and early. In a sad kind of way, it's like he plays in a way similar to his media persona, without discipline. I think a few things are getting lost in this thread, as it has spiraled out of control recently. The first being JFF's football career is not over because of this. Moreover, these recent event don't nesseccarily mean he will not get a shot to become a starting QB again in the NFL.

I do believe his shot at these things is pretty much over in Clev and rightfully so. They have tried for 2 years now to accommodate him and help him. It just hasn't worked. It isn't personal. It's just the business of NFL football. Clev probably just realizes they need to move on. It's not just best for them, it's also best for JFF.

We've seen other players take a difficult path through things similar to JFF and ultimately succeed. Chris Carter being A rather similar one. Granted, Carter was always a more talent player than JFF. Nonetheless, it can be done. JFF needs to get himself right or mature or who the hell knows... Maybe he just doesn't care that much. That's fine too. It's his life and he can do what he wants. If he wants to make a long, worthwhile career out of playing QB in the NFL he's going to have to change some things, though. He's made his bed in Clev and now he has to sleep in it.

I don't personally wish or want JFF out of football or to suck. It really doesn't matter to me that much. I just try to call it like I see it from a million miles away. Of course the NFL would be a more exciting league if he turned into the same electric player he was in college. He's not that player and likely won't be. Best case scenario now is he gets released from Celv and lands on a team with a strong foundation and vet QB in front of him.

So why are you arguing with everyone? That's all anyone is saying. If he had Aaron Rodgers-type talent, or even Jay Cutler talent, he'd be their number one QB and being Gronk-like with his Twitter posts. When you have minimal talent, teams don't want the distraction.

I stand with Johnny on this one. I also hope you gets released so he can sit behind Romo for two years.
didn't they just do that with Weeden?this would end similarly.
I think it's pretty much a sure thing that Manziel ends up in Dallas. He's a hometown boy and Jerry Jones loves anything that brings him more media attention. Plus, Jones is one of the few owners in football who doesn't care at all about a player's character. Plus the obvious fact that his backup quarterbacks went 0-7 in Romo's absence.

So why are you arguing with everyone? That's all anyone is saying. If he had Aaron Rodgers-type talent, or even Jay Cutler talent, he'd be their number one QB and being Gronk-like with his Twitter posts. When you have minimal talent, teams don't want the distraction.
I'm discussing, you are doing the arguing. Also, I do not agree with your evaluation on JFF. Much like the love you shown for CMike.

I'm discussing, you are doing the arguing. Also, I do not agree with your evaluation on JFF. Much like the love you shown for CMike.
I challenged you before to find one post where I ever bragged up CMike. I took a flyer on him during Dallas' bye week because some beat guys were claiming that he was running with the first team in practice. I dropped him two games later. I followed that thread because it was hilarious. Not sure why you think I'm a CMike guy. But the challenge is still out there. Go find me a post where I even seemed lukewarm on the guy. I'll be waiting.

If he goes to Dallas, what's the likely path? Does he go there by way of getting cut and Jerry signing him? Or could the Browns try and get something for him? Ya know, since Jerry's so in love? Probably a 4th rounder at most. Closer to a 6th at this point.

seriously, last I checked he never hurt anyone.

Whipped his kid, NOPE. Beat his wife, NOPE. Arrested for anything, NOPE. Choke his girlfriend till someone else had to call 911, NOPE.

Yet hes a "bad guy". No, hes immature.

He'll get another chance

Actually he literally is an NFL quarterback. I looked it up.

Actually he literally is an NFL quarterback. I looked it up.
Good point. You got me there.

Johnny didn't do his job, the Browns didn't do their job. Arguably both were predictable. I was giving one the benefit of the doubt, with the other there never was a doubt.

The Browns may be doing JF a favor. If the kid is going to make it in the NFL, he is going to have to work a lot harder. The Browns need to send him a strong message. They are dealing with a child. Partying every chance you get is not going to cut it in today's NFL. He is not hurting anyone but he is not helping his team by learning the playbook or defenses.

JF will be in the league next season. He will probably even be starting in Cleveland before this season ends.

The Browns may be doing JF a favor. If the kid is going to make it in the NFL, he is going to have to work a lot harder. The Browns need to send him a strong message. They are dealing with a child. Partying every chance you get is not going to cut it in today's NFL. He is not hurting anyone but he is not helping his team by learning the playbook or defenses.

JF will be in the league next season. He will probably even be starting in Cleveland before this season ends.
The Chris Carter effect. Maybe this will wake the kid up.

You JFF fanboys know that not everyone who doubts him is hating on his young and fabulous lifestyle, right? He's an addict who just got the starting job and goes out and parties. His employer asked him to lay low. And on top of it it's not even clear that he's actually better than his replacement-level competition yet.

I'm sure other players party. Somehow they don't need rehab, don't have a carefully crafted and trademarked alter ego.

Oh, and #### this 'he's 22!!!!! That's young and stupid!!!!!' People have fought and died in wars, raised children, started small businesses, by that age for centuries. Hell, most NFL rookies his exact age don't end up in rehab then blowing their chance to start. I worry what some of you are telling your college aged kids, 'don't worry dear you're 21, you have plenty of time to act responsibly. Go ahead, party it up!'

Finally, I guaran-damn-tee you that most of the JFF apologists would be all over Jameis if he was pulling the exact same ####.

Cleveland ain't cutting him and they can't trade him. Dallas if they want him doesn't need to trade for him if the Browns cut him and if he wants to be a Cowboy anyway.

I can tell you though that the Saints have passed on many a NO or Louisiana born LSU player because the thought was that though hyper-talented they were too close to bad influences. Putting Manziel in Dallas would just be putting the fly in the honeypot. If Dallas really wants a backup QB with a history of lack of discipline, who now finds himself back in his party HQ, and then also with next to no incentive to prepare because he knows the starting QB is entrenched then they are just asking for added trouble. If Stephen Jones stayed his dad's hand the first time he would be wise to do it again.

And the point further up about the Browns building a case to recoup the bonus is a great one.

I challenged you before to find one post where I ever bragged up CMike. I took a flyer on him during Dallas' bye week because some beat guys were claiming that he was running with the first team in practice. I dropped him two games later. I followed that thread because it was hilarious. Not sure why you think I'm a CMike guy. But the challenge is still out there. Go find me a post where I even seemed lukewarm on the guy. I'll be waiting.
The delete function is sweet!

This is fascinating. If only most people would live according to the standard they hold famous strangers to this would be a much better world.

Please keep going on about how the 22 year old millionaire isn't living up to your own high standards that I am certain you meticulously adhere to regardless of how much you are paid.
All they have to do is live up to the standards (whatever they are) of the employer who signs their million dollar checks.

When you can't do that.....your done.

I could give a rats ### if Johnny parties and has fun (like any young or veteran NFL player should be able to have). But if it is going to upset your employer then your an idiot for doing it and getting caught over and over and over.

Grow up, take some ownership of yourself and proceed with some sort of caution so you can play in the league. Obviously he has failed to live to the standards set forth to him by his employer.

In the real world you get fired for that. That is what is happening to Johnny now. He is done with the Browns. Another team will pick him up probably and we shall see if he can be a starter again. I never thought he had the metal maturity to be an NFL QB. It's proving to be true. He can't stay out of trouble.

He was coming off quite possibly his best game as a pro (I thought he looked damn good start to finish for the first time), they named him starter for the rest of the season. Now he is right back in the dog house. They obviously have a laundry list longer than what we even know publicly of his off the field BS.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Finally, I guaran-damn-tee you that most of the JFF apologists would be all over Jameis if he was pulling the exact same ####.
While this is probably true, the reality/difference is that what Jameis was accused of is far worse than partying - and I'm not talking about stealing crab legs. As a result, he has used more "strikes" than Johnny. I'm sure a lot/most of us on the board partied too hard at least once or twice (or more) than we should have when we were in college/early 20's, so it is easier to put ourselves in his shoes and think Johnny's partying isn't a big deal.

You JFF fanboys know that not everyone who doubts him is hating on his young and fabulous lifestyle, right? He's an addict who just got the starting job and goes out and parties. His employer asked him to lay low. And on top of it it's not even clear that he's actually better than his replacement-level competition yet.

I'm sure other players party. Somehow they don't need rehab, don't have a carefully crafted and trademarked alter ego.

Oh, and #### this 'he's 22!!!!! That's young and stupid!!!!!' People have fought and died in wars, raised children, started small businesses, by that age for centuries. Hell, most NFL rookies his exact age don't end up in rehab then blowing their chance to start. I worry what some of you are telling your college aged kids, 'don't worry dear you're 21, you have plenty of time to act responsibly. Go ahead, party it up!'

This is all fine and dandy but it really is a straw man argument. We all understand that many people his age have held X-Y-Z responsibilities and shouldered them with dignity (and many without dignity as well). What does that have to do with Manziel? It is like you choose to ignore that there are 7 billion individuals on this planet all with unique histories and none of them are the same. Go check the Otis v Woz fatty thread. What difference does it make when discussing Otis that James Daulton lost a bunch of weight and kept it off (good on you JD, keep it up)? None, because they are different people.

You don't just wake up one day and understand the nature of responsibility, particularly when you have lived your entire life without such understanding, (while also being raised wealthy, entitled and with tremendous God given talent). He wasn't given the tools so if he is going to change he has to learn the hard way in a short time frame. He will probably fail, that is where the smart money should be. But the book on him has not been finished yet so I think it is okay to root for him to figure it out and turn his career and life around.

It's difficult to suddenly be told to behave in one particular way when you have spent your entire life behaving in a different way. If you think it is easy why don't you just go ahead and change your fundamental nature right now.

We can talk until we are blue in the face about how we would act in his shoes, or how others should act in his shoes, but the truth is that you have no earthly idea how you would act/react had you/me/them been raised in his situation because you/me/them weren't raised in his situation.

And acknowledging that he has had different experiences, and even rooting for him to pull it together, has no bearing on the values you/me/them choose to instill in our own children.

This is fascinating. If only most people would live according to the standard they hold famous strangers to this would be a much better world.

Please keep going on about how the 22 year old millionaire isn't living up to your own high standards that I am certain you meticulously adhere to regardless of how much you are paid.
All they have to do is live up to the standards (whatever they are) of the employer who signs their million dollar checks.

When you can't do that.....your done.

I could give a rats ### if Johnny parties and has fun (like any young or veteran NFL player should be able to have). But if it is going to upset your employer then your an idiot for doing it and getting caught over and over and over.

Grow up, take some ownership of yourself and proceed with some sort of caution so you can play in the league. Obviously he has failed to live to the standards set forth to him by his employer.

In the real world you get fired for that. That is what is happening to Johnny now. He is done with the Browns. Another team will pick him up probably and we shall see if he can be a starter again. I never thought he had the metal maturity to be an NFL QB. It's proving to be true. He can't stay out of trouble.

He was coming off quite possibly his best game as a pro (I thought he looked damn good start to finish for the first time), they named him starter for the rest of the season. Now he is right back in the dog house. They obviously have a laundry list longer than what we even know publicly of his off the field BS.
Absolutely agree, and it's playing out that way.

This is all fine and dandy but it really is a straw man argument. We all understand that many people his age have held X-Y-Z responsibilities and shouldered them with dignity (and many without dignity as well). What does that have to do with Manziel? It is like you choose to ignore that there are 7 billion individuals on this planet all with unique histories and none of them are the same. Go check the Otis v Woz fatty thread. What difference does it make when discussing Otis that James Daulton lost a bunch of weight and kept it off (good on you JD, keep it up)? None, because they are different people.You don't just wake up one day and understand the nature of responsibility, particularly when you have lived your entire life without such understanding, (while also being raised wealthy, entitled and with tremendous God given talent). He wasn't given the tools so if he is going to change he has to learn the hard way in a short time frame. He will probably fail, that is where the smart money should be. But the book on him has not been finished yet so I think it is okay to root for him to figure it out and turn his career and life around.

It's difficult to suddenly be told to behave in one particular way when you have spent your entire life behaving in a different way. If you think it is easy why don't you just go ahead and change your fundamental nature right now.

We can talk until we are blue in the face about how we would act in his shoes, or how others should act in his shoes, but the truth is that you have no earthly idea how you would act/react had you/me/them been raised in his situation because you/me/them weren't raised in his situation.

And acknowledging that he has had different experiences, and even rooting for him to pull it together, has no bearing on the values you/me/them choose to instill in our own children.
I understand he kind of is who he is. Look we all know that guy who won't change. That family member we will never trust. That parent who will always be negative or hurtful or an addict. But this, specific, individual human being is defended by supporters who feel that he isn't any different than other young rich players. Except he is. That's the whole point. If Teddy Bridgewater or Blake Bortles or Derek Carr had the exact same video released of them drinking or partying would they get benched? No. Because they haven't shown a pattern which is reinforced by that video. JFF is being judged as an individual with a history, which is why the backlash from fans and reaction from his employer is harsher than it would be for others.

The delete function is sweet!
Can't delete quoted posts, son. That thread was nothing but back and forth for a billion pages. If I was pro-Michael, there's certainly evidence of it in there. I was never a CMike guy. I simply mocked some guy who quoted himself when he was cut, as if he was some genius. I had him for exactly two weeks. If I said anything, it was anti-Michael. Wanted to know why Seattle would get rid of him if he was so talented. Feel free to search the thread, since you seem concerned. Again, I'll wait.

Users who are viewing this thread