What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (3 Viewers)

JuniorNB,

You are setting it up where no matter what Manziel does this week it won't be enough. If he does well you will play the he only did it because it was against the 27th ranked defence. You will follow that up by let's see what he does vs a real defence in Seattle.
Not true. I said up thread that I only would like to see him complete 60% of this passes (well below the league average), have more TD passes than interceptions, show that he can make it past his first progression before panicking and taking off, and win the game. I never set the bar at 300 yards and a bunch of TDs. Of course, if he loses the game 35-31 and he's played with poise and has a good game, then the loss wouldn't be on him. I made very generic and reachable goals for the game to be a success.

JuniorNB,

You are setting it up where no matter what Manziel does this week it won't be enough. If he does well you will play the he only did it because it was against the 27th ranked defence. You will follow that up by let's see what he does vs a real defence in Seattle.
Not true. I said up thread that I only would like to see him complete 60% of this passes (well below the league average), have more TD passes than interceptions, show that he can make it past his first progression before panicking and taking off, and win the game. I never set the bar at 300 yards and a bunch of TDs. Of course, if he loses the game 35-31 and he's played with poise and has a good game, then the loss wouldn't be on him. I made very generic and reachable goals for the game to be a success.
Do you believe this one game is more important than his previous 4 this year? And his subsequent 3?

JuniorNB,

Do you believe this one game is more important than his previous 4 this year? And his subsequent 3?
I think that with Seattle looming, this one is pretty important to his confidence. He has a chance to put up decent numbers at home against a week pass defense traveling 3000 miles. The following week will be a lot tougher.

If he shows improvment these 4 weeks is the job his next year?
I don't see them using an early first and I don't see Cousins/Fitz/Bradford signing with them.. Unless they trade him, he'll be the starter going into next year. Obviously if he shats the bed the last month of season anything can happen, but I believe he plays well enough to stick as starter.

I think Jerry makes a big run for him and Manziel is Dallas bound

Instead of Jerry using a 1st, he's going to trade and have less invested.... sit behind Romo maybe, groom him ...... I think Jerry wants the Texas fan attraction of Manziel

new coach in CLE won't want Manziel I'd bet

Instead of Jerry using a 1st, he's going to trade and have less invested.... sit behind Romo maybe, groom him ...... I think Jerry wants the Texas fan attraction of Manziel

well the current coach doesn't want him, so that's a pretty easy bet.

I think that with Seattle looming, this one is pretty important to his confidence. He has a chance to put up decent numbers at home against a week pass defense traveling 3000 miles. The following week will be a lot tougher.
I don't think this guy has any problem with confidence.

Performance? Yeah. Confidence? No.

If he shows improvment these 4 weeks is the job his next year?
Improvement? Too vague. If he plays well? Given the upcoming schedule, probably, but it'll depend on what's done at the top (mgmt/coaching). McCown is still under contract so if he goes on a bender and ends up in a ditch in east Texas between OTA's and camp there's a short term plan B in-house.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Magic_Man said:
So what does this do for Barnidge?
Pure luck? He could do something vs SF. If you watch Manziek it's totally up in the air what Manziel will do, he doesn't follow reads or the gameplan. Vs Seattle & KC, no thanks. I'd like Barnidge better if Benjamin is out but it looks like he will play. Duke's & Crowell's value is likely gone. Only player IMO with a real chance is Benjamin who could get the deep TD.
I am rolling with Barnidge. I really do not have a better option. Cleveland's running game stinks so they will have to throw the ball. Barnidge is the best receiver in Cleveland. Manziel does not really read defenses or throw the ball to where he should but he should throw a few Barnidges way.
I think Barnidge should still be ok. There are routes where he is the primary receiver. It's after that where the targets gets iffy. It kills Duke Johnson because all those dumpoffs become Manziel scrambles/sacks/or runs. But Benjamin and Barnidge should still be good plays against the 27th ranked pass defense.
He did a much better job getting Barnidge and Hartline involved against Pittsburgh. He seems to zero in on Benjamin and Duke when the play breaks down.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

You know what I want to see? Mr. Excitement jukin', jivin', and making big plays Johnny Football style :thumbup: You and Mike Pettine Jr. can go hang with Pettine Sr. and reminisce about the good ol' days when you were allowed to beat your high school players and there was no forward pass allowed.
Playing exciting, jukin. jiving Johnny Football style quarterback works well in college. Whether Manziel can make that work on the pro level is yet to be determined. So far, it has not worked. Having the ability to extend plays or run for a first down can be an awesome attribute at any level. But if you can't read defenses or make it through more than one progression without panicking and taking off, it won't help at all. Manziel just has to grow up and take the job seriously. He should be studying film and the playbook instead of getting plastered and acting like a frat boy. Once he becomes a good quarterback, he can go back to trying to be Charlie Sheen Jr.

Pettine is clown shoes. Gotta think even the Browns can manage to find someone better than that joker.

Pettine is clown shoes. Gotta think even the Browns can manage to find someone better than that joker.
He's most likely gone after the season. Manziel as well.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

You know what I want to see? Mr. Excitement jukin', jivin', and making big plays Johnny Football style :thumbup: You and Mike Pettine Jr. can go hang with Pettine Sr. and reminisce about the good ol' days when you were allowed to beat your high school players and there was no forward pass allowed.
Playing exciting, jukin. jiving Johnny Football style quarterback works well in college. Whether Manziel can make that work on the pro level is yet to be determined. So far, it has not worked. Having the ability to extend plays or run for a first down can be an awesome attribute at any level. But if you can't read defenses or make it through more than one progression without panicking and taking off, it won't help at all. Manziel just has to grow up and take the job seriously. He should be studying film and the playbook instead of getting plastered and acting like a frat boy. Once he becomes a good quarterback, he can go back to trying to be Charlie Sheen Jr.
I strongly recommend you watch the Pittsburgh game. Based on your posts it seems like you have not.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

For a guy who hates JFF so much, you seem to live in this thread. What gives?

He should be studying film and the playbook? How do you know he is not? Because he was video taped enjoying time off?

This is my problem with your comments, the amount of your "I hate Johnny" rhetoric that you provide as fact.

The worst part of your comments are the fact that his antics would be OK with you if he was good.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

I strongly recommend you watch the Pittsburgh game. Based on your posts it seems like you have not.
You can clearly see he has hate for Johnny, how can anyone take someones opinion seriously when they are clearly hateful towards a person.

Its like asking an Obama hater about his thought on Obama.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

I will admit that I only saw highlights of that game. I know that he threw for over 300 yards. I hesitate to get too excited about some QB stats by the losing team in a blowout. He only led them to 9 points. And the Pittsburgh pass defense is 29th in the league, letting up 275 yards passing per game. Manziel had good numbers, but I'd like to see it in a game where he can keep his team competitive. He faces a similarly bad defense this week at home (ranked 27th against the pass)> And San Fran doesn't have near the offense as Pittsburgh, so he shouldn't have to worry about getting behind early. That's why I said that this week is huge for him.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

You can clearly see he has hate for Johnny, how can anyone take someones opinion seriously when they are clearly hateful towards a person.

Its like asking an Obama hater about his thought on Obama.
I have hate for Greg Hardy too. But I recognize that he's a great player. My commentary regarding Manziel's maturity and character are based on my dislike for him. My comments on his playing ability are not. Hope this helps.

smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

I will admit that I only saw highlights of that game. I know that he threw for over 300 yards. I hesitate to get too excited about some QB stats by the losing team in a blowout. He only led them to 9 points. And the Pittsburgh pass defense is 29th in the league, letting up 275 yards passing per game. Manziel had good numbers, but I'd like to see it in a game where he can keep his team competitive. He faces a similarly bad defense this week at home (ranked 27th against the pass)> And San Fran doesn't have near the offense as Pittsburgh, so he shouldn't have to worry about getting behind early. That's why I said that this week is huge for him.
Again, I urge you to actually watch the game. You should come away with a different impression. 44 players played like dog #### that day. I'd argue he was the only one that did not.

smoke monster said:
smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

Manziel has had what, 3 or 4 games as a starter, you admit you haven't even seen at least one of them and yet here you are ranting about what "you need to see" from him. You also know all about how he spends all his free time apparently too. You're a joke and have an obvious bias for some unstated reason.

Honestly I never gave a crap about whether Manziel was playing QB or selling cars until I saw so much ridiculous hate on the guy from people just projecting their own faults on someone they don't even know. Now I root for Johnny just to piss off the haters. As a bonus he is damn fun to watch.
I expressed 'what I need to see from him' because someone directly asked me the question. I believe this is football discussion. People ask questions, you answer.

I never claimed I know what he does every minute. His history is well documented. It's no secret. Neither is it a secret that he was named starter and then asked by his coach to use the bye week to study up and to stay out of bars. Manziel ignored him and then liked to him when he got busted. It stays true to his pattern of being a frat boy and having no respect for authority. That's why I can't stand him. It's not an "unstated reason". I've disliked him (and his type) since his Texas A&M days.

Perhaps you should seek out a messageboard where there is only compliments allowed in the player threads. It can be like a pep rally where a player's past discretions are not allowed to be brought up. And every game is described as a MVP moment. That might be more suitable to sensitive types like yourself. Oh, and you're right, it really makes me angry that you root for him. Grrrrr lol

Pettine to Manziel.

'I dares ya Johnny. I dares ya to try sumphin punk.'

Almost makes me wish he would hit the town with Beiber and Miley to see what would happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/mike_pettine_says_johnny_manzi_4.html

Johnny Manziel 'repercussions will be harsh' if he messes up off field; Mike Pettine acknowledges issues more 'deep-rooted' than 1st thought

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns coach Mike Pettine stressed Wednesday that Johnny Manziel, named the starter Tuesday for Sunday's game against the 49ers, must behave off the field -- or else.

"You look at the degree of an incident," Pettine said. "It would be hard for me to sit here and say, 'We have a zero-tolerance policy.'

But if something were to occur, I could imagine that the repercussions would be harsh."

Pettine to Manziel.

Almost makes me wish he would hit the town with Beiber and Miley to see what would happen.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2015/12/mike_pettine_says_johnny_manzi_4.html

Johnny Manziel 'repercussions will be harsh' if he messes up off field; Mike Pettine acknowledges issues more 'deep-rooted' than 1st thought

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Browns coach Mike Pettine stressed Wednesday that Johnny Manziel, named the starter Tuesday for Sunday's game against the 49ers, must behave off the field -- or else.

"You look at the degree of an incident," Pettine said. "It would be hard for me to sit here and say, 'We have a zero-tolerance policy.'

But if something were to occur, I could imagine that the repercussions would be harsh."
in before the "Y He B h8tn on Johnny Footballs?!?!" posts.

Pettine to Manziel.

What?

Pettine to Manziel.

What?
I think he's referring to the Manziel lovers who think Petine should overlook off the field stuff and let him do whatever he wants. Tone Loc should be here shortly to let us know how angry he is at Petine for this latest statement. 3...........2............1.......

smoke monster said:
smoke monster said:
JuniorNB,

Manziel has had what, 3 or 4 games as a starter, you admit you haven't even seen at least one of them and yet here you are ranting about what "you need to see" from him. You also know all about how he spends all his free time apparently too. You're a joke and have an obvious bias for some unstated reason.

Honestly I never gave a crap about whether Manziel was playing QB or selling cars until I saw so much ridiculous hate on the guy from people just projecting their own faults on someone they don't even know. Now I root for Johnny just to piss off the haters. As a bonus he is damn fun to watch.
I expressed 'what I need to see from him' because someone directly asked me the question. I believe this is football discussion. People ask questions, you answer.

I never claimed I know what he does every minute. His history is well documented. It's no secret. Neither is it a secret that he was named starter and then asked by his coach to use the bye week to study up and to stay out of bars. Manziel ignored him and then liked to him when he got busted. It stays true to his pattern of being a frat boy and having no respect for authority. That's why I can't stand him. It's not an "unstated reason". I've disliked him (and his type) since his Texas A&M days.

Perhaps you should seek out a messageboard where there is only compliments allowed in the player threads. It can be like a pep rally where a player's past discretions are not allowed to be brought up. And every game is described as a MVP moment. That might be more suitable to sensitive types like yourself. Oh, and you're right, it really makes me angry that you root for him. Grrrrr lol
Say what?

Junior, you are the only one that has been aggro ITT... I laugh at Pettine, but don't care enough to get angry. At this point it's beating a dead horse anyways, Johnny has his job back and Pettine will be fired within a few weeks. All's well that ends well.

Junior, you are the only one that has been aggro ITT... I laugh at Pettine, but don't care enough to get angry. At this point it's beating a dead horse anyways, Johnny has his job back and Pettine will be fired within a few weeks. All's well that ends well.
I think they'll both be gone. The ironic thing is, if Manziel plays poorly and they lose out, Petite will be fired and Cleveland will draft a quarterback. If Manziel does well and then win a couople, it might save both of their jobs. I doubt either one survives alone.

What's clear to me is that if Manziel ever gets his personal life together he can be an average to good QB. Will probably never be one of the greats but he can win games and be exciting to watch. May take him several years though.

I think they'll both be gone. The ironic thing is, if Manziel plays poorly and they lose out, Petite will be fired and Cleveland will draft a quarterback. If Manziel does well and then win a couople, it might save both of their jobs. I doubt either one survives alone.
What scenario do you see playing out that will lead to Manziel gone? I just don't see it unless there is a trade (they won't give him away) or if he does something off the field again that forces them to cut bait.

They are likely to have the 1st overall pick, and there isn't a QB that would justify 1st overall.. They could grab one at the top of the 2nd round, but not sure that get's your team closer than Manziel.. Beyond that you are looking at project QBs.. The FA class doesn't have anyone that would seem to fit there either. Coupled with all the other team needs I think they use their 2nd on another position, but I believe that will be their only chance of really replacing Manziel this offseason.

ETA: There is zero point zero chance Pettine is back.. If Manziel wins a few games, it would only be a further indictment of his ineptness.

Last edited by a moderator:
What scenario do you see playing out that will lead to Manziel gone? I just don't see it unless there is a trade (they won't give him away) or if he does something off the field again that forces them to cut bait.They are likely to have the 1st overall pick, and there isn't a QB that would justify 1st overall.. They could grab one at the top of the 2nd round, but not sure that get's your team closer than Manziel.. Beyond that you are looking at project QBs.. The FA class doesn't have anyone that would seem to fit there either. Coupled with all the other team needs I think they use their 2nd on another position, but I believe that will be their only chance of really replacing Manziel this offseason.

ETA: There is zero point zero chance Pettine is back.. If Manziel wins a few games, it would only be a further indictment of his ineptness.
since the draft isn't till April or May, there's a very good chance Manziel will do something in his personal life that gets him cut. Putting that aside and dealing solely on the field, he's going to need to show that he can be a leader and that he's developing as a quarterback. If he just stays as good as he is right now, there's no way a new coach is going to come in here and one of his legacy to Manziel. He's going to want his own guy. They will draft a quarterback and go with McCown. And yes, that is an if. Maybe the Pittsburgh game was not a case of playing a bad defense and getting stats in a blowout and he'll be impressive in these next four games. We shall see.

And? What do we think of today's effort? One ill advised throw on the int, but all around seems to be making progress.
The Niners are terrible and on their second multi-timezone trip in a row. Probably not worth trying to draw any conclusions on where he's at from this one game.
That seems silly.

People ridiculed his number vs Pitt and now SF for this type of reasoning. So the only way we can judge Manziel in his 6th start is if he plays top 5 defenses?

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
And? What do we think of today's effort? One ill advised throw on the int, but all around seems to be making progress.
The Niners are terrible and on their second multi-timezone trip in a row. Probably not worth trying to draw any conclusions on where he's at from this one game.
That seems silly. People ridiculed his number vs Pitt and now SF for this type of reasoning. So the only way we can judge Manziel in his 6th start is if he plays top 5 defenses?
Yeah. I agree. This IS the NFL. He led the Browns to a win and looked good enough. Point Manziel.

i only got to see bits and pieces of the game at a party.

he looked OK. made some good plays, made some bonehead plays.

Looked somewhat college like in the long highlight reel on NFL.com

I'm intrigued, and I hate that I am

Picked Manziel up for a spot start in a short bench dynasty. Is he a "hold" for next year?
Based on what we know today, if you don't have a strong long term option at QB, yes worth a spot. And at the same time, I would re-evaluate the dynasty QB options available in your rookie draft and other drafts. I would not keep Manziel over Goff or Lynch for example but they aren't available yet. I carry 2 QBs in my start 1 league. So that usually means one decent starter for the current year and one dynasty option. I have Brady one more year and Manziel is my dynasty option for now. He's on a short leash but gets a chance because fantasy wise he has the hands to put up points every week when he starts. I like him even more in Dallas. Please let that happen...... Wait I take that back. If Josh Gordon returns, then I think I like Manziel right where he is vs Dallas.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread