What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (5 Viewers)

Picked Manziel up for a spot start in a short bench dynasty. Is he a "hold" for next year?
His ADP at DFW right now is QB32. The only QBs ahead of him on that list who I'd prefer Manziel to are Peyton and Nick Foles.

In a 2QB league I think you have to consider holding him on upside alone. But in a short-bench 1QB league he's waiver wire material even if he ends the year strong. I'd rather spend some trade capital on a young QB with similar upside and much less downside like Taylor, Mariota, or Carr than hold JFF.

Manziel 2015 QBR - 57.6

Those he is above:

21 Matt Hasselbeck 56.3
22 Matthew Stafford 55.8
23 Derek Carr 55.7
24 Josh McCown 53.9
25 Blake Bortles 49.8
26 Andrew Luck 47.6
27 Colin Kaepernick 47.1
28 Peyton Manning 45.0
29 Joe Flacco 40.9
30 Sam Bradford 38.3
31 Ryan Tannehill 34.0
32 Nick Foles 30.0

Last edited by a moderator:
Manziel 2015 QBR - 57.6

Those he is above:

21 Matt Hasselbeck 56.3

22 Matthew Stafford 55.8

23 Derek Carr 55.7

24 Josh McCown 53.9

25 Blake Bortles 49.8

26 Andrew Luck 47.6

27 Colin Kaepernick 47.1

28 Peyton Manning 45.0

29 Joe Flacco 40.9

30 Sam Bradford 38.3

31 Ryan Tannehill 34.0

32 Nick Foles 30.0
QBR is the dumbest stat ever. Ryan Tannehill 2nd-worst in the league? Come on.

Manziel 2015 QBR - 57.6

Those he is above:

21 Matt Hasselbeck 56.3
22 Matthew Stafford 55.8
23 Derek Carr 55.7
24 Josh McCown 53.9
25 Blake Bortles 49.8
26 Andrew Luck 47.6
27 Colin Kaepernick 47.1
28 Peyton Manning 45.0
29 Joe Flacco 40.9
30 Sam Bradford 38.3
31 Ryan Tannehill 34.0
32 Nick Foles 30.0
Quarterbacks on that list that the 32 GMs would prefer Manziel over: Hmmm, maybe Hasselback because of the age. One.

Manziel 2015 QBR - 57.6

Those he is above:

21 Matt Hasselbeck 56.3
22 Matthew Stafford 55.8
23 Derek Carr 55.7
24 Josh McCown 53.9
25 Blake Bortles 49.8
26 Andrew Luck 47.6
27 Colin Kaepernick 47.1
28 Peyton Manning 45.0
29 Joe Flacco 40.9
30 Sam Bradford 38.3
31 Ryan Tannehill 34.0
32 Nick Foles 30.0
Quarterbacks on that list that the 32 GMs would prefer Manziel over: Hmmm, maybe Hasselback because of the age. One.
Link?

That guy's a baller
He's becoming what a lot of people don't want to see him become and that's a true quarterback. He's throwing the football from the pocket, but he can also break out of their and throw the football, so I want to continue to see Johnny continue to get better and better and I want to see him lead this offense and lead this football team. There are some people that are skeptical, some people that probably don't want to see that, but I do.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000601354/article/browns-benjamin-on-manziel-that-guys-a-baller

I love Whitner throwing some shade at Pettine & JuniorNB (clearly)

Manziel 2015 QBR - 57.6

Those he is above:

21 Matt Hasselbeck 56.3
22 Matthew Stafford 55.8
23 Derek Carr 55.7
24 Josh McCown 53.9
25 Blake Bortles 49.8
26 Andrew Luck 47.6
27 Colin Kaepernick 47.1
28 Peyton Manning 45.0
29 Joe Flacco 40.9
30 Sam Bradford 38.3
31 Ryan Tannehill 34.0
32 Nick Foles 30.0
You and pantherclub can't even pass up a barely flattering post.

Manziel 2015 QBR - 57.6

Those he is above:

21 Matt Hasselbeck 56.3
22 Matthew Stafford 55.8
23 Derek Carr 55.7
24 Josh McCown 53.9
25 Blake Bortles 49.8
26 Andrew Luck 47.6
27 Colin Kaepernick 47.1
28 Peyton Manning 45.0
29 Joe Flacco 40.9
30 Sam Bradford 38.3
31 Ryan Tannehill 34.0
32 Nick Foles 30.0
You and pantherclub can't even pass up a barely flattering post.
Any rating system that would have Johnny Manziel ahead of Carr and Bortles is downright laughable. I was actually coming to say that he it appears he played a good game against San Francisco. His numbers were decent and he got the win. But when I saw that list, I almost spit out my coffee.

That guy's a baller
He's becoming what a lot of people don't want to see him become and that's a true quarterback. He's throwing the football from the pocket, but he can also break out of their and throw the football, so I want to continue to see Johnny continue to get better and better and I want to see him lead this offense and lead this football team. There are some people that are skeptical, some people that probably don't want to see that, but I do.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000601354/article/browns-benjamin-on-manziel-that-guys-a-baller

Let's see how he does this week when he's not facing the league's 27th ranked pass defense. Mkay?

Edit: Just looked. Seattle is 19th in the league, allowing 237.5 yards per game passing. They'll still be a much stiffer test for Manziel.

smoke monster said:
Manziel should just quit already I mean doesn't he realize that he'll never be good?

And what's with these two clowns Benjamin and Whitner supporting him? How do they even have time to comment when they should be studying their playbook. Can't trust these dumb youths these days, they'll be slinging crack in front of a liquor store in a few years.
You sound upset. Everything ok?

That guy's a baller

Let's see how he does this week when he's not facing the league's 27th ranked pass defense. Mkay?

Edit: Just looked. Seattle is 19th in the league, allowing 237.5 yards per game passing. They'll still be a much stiffer test for Manziel.
I see how you are framing the Legion of Boom as something you can sneeze at.. If Manziel does good again, it's just the 19th best passing defense.

That guy's a baller

I see how you are framing the Legion of Boom as something you can sneeze at.. If Manziel does good again, it's just the 19th best passing defense.
I said the 19th best will pose a tougher test than the 27th best. Are you disputing that fact? Or the fact that the Seahawks are 19th in passing yards allowed?

smoke monster said:
smoke monster said:
Manziel should just quit already I mean doesn't he realize that he'll never be good?

And what's with these two clowns Benjamin and Whitner supporting him? How do they even have time to comment when they should be studying their playbook. Can't trust these dumb youths these days, they'll be slinging crack in front of a liquor store in a few years.
You sound upset. Everything ok?
No I finally realized you were right about Manziel and now I can't stand to see the guy get any love at all anywhere from anyone without commenting. I have to comment on every single thing about him to remind everyone how little I value him. And if anyone doesn't like it, obviously it's them with the problem. I'm sure you understand.
I thought Manziel had a banner week. Won and NFL game and stayed away from frat parties all week. Definitely a step in the right direction. It's nice to see him step up with McCown being hurt. On to Seattle. :thumbup:

In seriousness, I thought he did well yesterday. I haven't had a chance to watch the whole game (the Eagles were on when he was playing) but I hope to catch the replay on NFL Network. I said last week that I didn't think he needed to have a crazy yardage game or throw for 4 touchdowns for the game to be a success for him.

He threw for 270 yards on a team averaging 268.5 against. Which is fine. I said I'd like to see more touchdowns than interceptions. He had one of each. I saw the interception on the highlights and I think it's a case of trying to make too much happen. He completed many passes like that in college. That's correctable. I also saw a few highlights of him using his strength- scrambling to buy time and making things happen. As far as how he did on his progressions, I can't comment on that until I see the whole game. The most important thing was that they won. It was two bad teams playing and essentially a pick 'em game. Blaine Gabbert hasn't been playing horribly this season and Manziel beat him.

I also saw a quote from Manziel during the week that he knows he really screwed up during the bye week. That's commendable. Whether he really thinks he screwed up or not, I don't know. But the fact that he seems to understand what is being asked of him is key.

I'd give him a B for the week.

JuniorNB,

You are setting it up where no matter what Manziel does this week it won't be enough. If he does well you will play the he only did it because it was against the 27th ranked defence. You will follow that up by let's see what he does vs a real defence in Seattle.
That guy's a baller

That guy's a baller

Clockwork.

That guy's a baller

Clockwork.
You disagree with anything I said in the post above you when discussing his performance yesterday? Or do you just want to troll?

If only the NFL could schedule it so that the Browns face the top ranked defense every week, then and only then could we get a good gauge on if he could be good. Beyond that all we have to go on is that he's a frat boy that wasn't actually in a frat.

If only the NFL could schedule it so that the Browns face the top ranked defense every week, then and only then could we get a good gauge on if he could be good. Beyond that all we have to go on is that he's a frat boy that wasn't actually in a frat.
Seems like you and Smokey the Monster are the ones going on and on about his frat boy lifestyle. He was benched. Admitted it was his fault. And has moved on. And played a good game yesterday. Which I haven't heard or seen anyone dispute. Enjoy your day. Why stay hung up on Petine's punishment? Just like Eddie Lacy and his demotion, both seemed to have responded in a positive way. Good coaching by both.

Seems like you and Smokey the Monster are the ones going on and on about his frat boy lifestyle. He was benched. Admitted it was his fault. And has moved on. And played a good game yesterday. Which I haven't heard or seen anyone dispute. Enjoy your day. Why stay hung up on Petine's punishment? Just like Eddie Lacy and his demotion, both seemed to have responded in a positive way. Good coaching by both.
You are the one who keeps commenting on it.. I'm talking about our inability to evaluate Manziel because he's playing cupcakes everyweek.

And? What do we think of today's effort? One ill advised throw on the int, but all around seems to be making progress.
The Niners are terrible and on their second multi-timezone trip in a row. Probably not worth trying to draw any conclusions on where he's at from this one game.
That seems silly. People ridiculed his number vs Pitt and now SF for this type of reasoning. So the only way we can judge Manziel in his 6th start is if he plays top 5 defenses?
Yeah. I agree. This IS the NFL. He led the Browns to a win and looked good enough. Point Manziel.
he looked pretty good against the Titans earlier this year. The guy can play well enough to be a starting QB, but probably not a very good one long term. The trick will be keeping his #### together.

That guy's a baller

Clockwork.
You disagree with anything I said in the post above you when discussing his performance yesterday? Or do you just want to troll?
R-E-L-A-X.

Yes, I'm having fun at your expense. Yes, you've brought it on yourself. You didn't even watch the Pittsburgh game and you were in here criticizing his performance.

It sure is unfair to all the other QBs in the league that Manziel is the only guy that gets to pad his stats by playing against patsie defenses.

That guy's a baller

Clockwork.
R-E-L-A-X.

Yes, I'm having fun at your expense. Yes, you've brought it on yourself. You didn't even watch the Pittsburgh game and you were in here criticizing his performance.
Ouch. Please stop having fun at my expense, You'll never fully understand how much that bothers me.. :lmao:

Now would you like to contribute to the thread or just troll some more?

Seattle's now has 8 wins and 5 losses. Their last 2 games have played out with a 38-7 win and a 35-6 win. They also have won 4 games in a row and are starting to resemble the team that went to back to back Super bowls.

For anyone to come in here and claim that if Johnny Manziel has a good game against this team and then point to Seattle being 19th ranked pass defence is laughable on so many accounts and is actually false!

Statistically speaking Seattle are the 2nd best Defence in the entire NFL behind only Denver. They are giving up only 18.1 points per game. Carolina for a reference who are 3rd best in the NFL are giving up 18.7 points per game. Denver is 1st at 17.3.

Then JuniorNB says 19th for passing which is wrong. They are 6th best in the league giving up only 224 yards per game and have only given up 11 passing TDs all year.... LOL ya if he plays well against Seattle and anyone comes in here spewing that it is the 19th best pass defence is blatantly hating on Manziel. Also, add in the fact that it is an away game and in Seattle which is one of if not the hardest stadiums in the NFL to play well in then I really don't know what to tell you.

I don't see Manziel having a very good game this weekend at all, but would still like to see progress being made in grand scheme of things.

And? What do we think of today's effort? One ill advised throw on the int, but all around seems to be making progress.
The Niners are terrible and on their second multi-timezone trip in a row. Probably not worth trying to draw any conclusions on where he's at from this one game.
That seems silly. People ridiculed his number vs Pitt and now SF for this type of reasoning. So the only way we can judge Manziel in his 6th start is if he plays top 5 defenses?
Yeah. I agree. This IS the NFL. He led the Browns to a win and looked good enough. Point Manziel.
he looked pretty good against the Titans earlier this year. The guy can play well enough to be a starting QB, but probably not a very good one long term. The trick will be keeping his #### together.
I agree with this. There are guys like Case Keenum and Matt Cassell starting NFL games. Manziel is definitely better than them. His obstacles will be staying out of trouble and staying in one piece. He'd be fun to watch for his team's fanbase.

Then JuniorNB says 19th for passing which is wrong. They are 6th best in the league giving up only 224 yards per game and have only given up 11 passing TDs all year.... LOL ya if he plays well against Seattle and anyone comes in here spewing that it is the 19th best pass defence is blatantly hating on Manziel. Also, add in the fact that it is an away game and in Seattle which is one of if not the hardest stadiums in the NFL to play well in then I really don't know what to tell you.

I don't see Manziel having a very good game this weekend at all, but would still like to see progress being made in grand scheme of things.
My bad. I looked at their offense. That's 19th in passing yards and averaging 237.5 ypg. It is 6th at 224. I stand corrected.

That guy's a baller

Clockwork.
R-E-L-A-X.

Ouch. Please stop having fun at my expense, You'll never fully understand how much that bothers me.. :lmao:

Now would you like to contribute to the thread or just troll some more?
If someone starts saying he didn't play well against San Fran then I'll be sure to pop in and correct them like some have with the Pittsburgh game. He had one bonehead play and one bad misread in each game. I can't think of much negative otherwise. Not bad for a guy in his 5th and 6th career starts. Exceeding my expectations. Big tests coming up though...

I'm a Browns fan that used a picture of Johnny as his avatar for a year and a half. So I'm no hater.

That said, I saw more negatives than just one bad throw yesterday. I saw him holding the ball way too long a number of times and taking a couple of sacks that I thought were all on him. I saw him make a few inaccurate throws to open receivers.

What bothered me most though was that after he threw that horrendous interception, he made another throw almost just like it later in the game. This time it was a completion that was good for the Browns in the moment, but possibly bad in the long run as it means he's going to keep making those kind of throws.

He certainly did some good things and looked better than he has in some past games, so there's some reason for optimism. But he's going to have to improve a lot more before I'll believe he's the long-term answer for the Browns.

I like what I've seen from him this year. If they surround him with some wr talent, he could turn into a good, not great, qb. If the Browns cut/trade this guy they're truly idiotic. I'd much rather have Johnny then Teddy going forward.

I'm a Browns fan that used a picture of Johnny as his avatar for a year and a half. So I'm no hater.

That said, I saw more negatives than just one bad throw yesterday. I saw him holding the ball way too long a number of times and taking a couple of sacks that I thought were all on him. I saw him make a few inaccurate throws to open receivers.

What bothered me most though was that after he threw that horrendous interception, he made another throw almost just like it later in the game. This time it was a completion that was good for the Browns in the moment, but possibly bad in the long run as it means he's going to keep making those kind of throws.

He certainly did some good things and looked better than he has in some past games, so there's some reason for optimism. But he's going to have to improve a lot more before I'll believe he's the long-term answer for the Browns.
The play I referred to was the sack when no one was within 30 yards of Duke all alone on the sideline begging for an 80 yd TD. I can live with a few inaccurate throws and occasionally holding onto the ball too long, but that was egregious.

The only thing the detractors can use at this stage for Manziel is the attitude/discipline issues. I would agree that he may be a bit of wild card in that aspect, but I would venture to guess that he is/was no more so than Cam Newton and Winston.

If you look at his body of work I would say he has made giant steps and is exactly what you would hope out of a young first round qb. He was no where near ready in year 1 and looked lost. In year 2 he has not been perfect, but his play is trending up greatly. He is showing he can throw from the pocket, although he is still finding ways of using his legs. When he is escaping the pocket he is still keeping his eyes downfield. It would be nice to see him throw some more balls away and not be making some of those ill advised throws across his body, but he has been a lot more good than bad.

Obvious it is way too early to say he is the Browns qb of the future, but that is no different than tons of the other young guys right now in the NFL trying to find their way. It is encouraging that his game can translate to the pros just as the case was with Russel Wilson, but that is due to Manziel being able to throw from the pocket. With more experience of playing time, getting through his reads and becoming more comfortable he may start gaining momentum from some of his detractors. This is not Tebow number 2 here and that is evident after seeing him being able to make easy throws.

didn't get to see it.

heard part of the first half on the radio.

how'd he look?
After the first drive, wasn't given much of a chance. Defense was horrendous again, very browns-esque penalty on the last play of the half gift wrapping a field goal with no time on the clock. Didn't get a stop until the third quarter. He had drives killed with drops then once it became obvious passing downs because the defense couldn't stop anyone it was all over. They can draft a qb but unless he can lead the team to 35 points per game with Gary Barnidge and an army of receivers that can't get jobs elsewhere it doesn't matter.

He played very well. The noise or defense never had him rattled and his ability to extend plays without making mistakes against that defense in that situation is very commendable.

He is going to be a starting QB in this league, and he's going to have moments of brilliance. I'm still not sure what that translates to long term, but his arrow is pointing way up.

I hope he can keep his nose clean this summer and see what he can do with a full offseason as the man.

tone1oc said:
He played very well. The noise or defense never had him rattled and his ability to extend plays without making mistakes against that defense in that situation is very commendable.

He is going to be a starting QB in this league, and he's going to have moments of brilliance. I'm still not sure what that translates to long term, but his arrow is pointing way up.

I hope he can keep his nose clean this summer and see what he can do with a full offseason as the man.
Agreed. And if I am the Browns, I make him the starter next season and go with it. No one in the draft I love at QB so what the heck? I'd rather have Manziel in real life than Kaepernick too.

I dunno. I've justified Colt McCoy, Brian Hoyer and even Brandon Weeden in the past five years after they looked good in stretches. This team is just so atrocious it's hard to get a good read or feel good about anything one player is doing. Whoever the new coach/GM is will have their own opinion of Manziel so that's gonna factor in quite a bit toward his future in CLE.

I don't know if Manziel is the answer or not, but if the Browns keep swapping out first round QB's so quickly, they will never find out.

If I were the Browns owner: Fire Pettine, Fire Farmer. Bring in a coach or wants to and can work with Johnny, someone who is not tied to a system, but will tailor a system around Johnny's strengths. Draft some help for Johnny on Offense. Give him a full season to prove himself (unless off the field problems continue to re-surface).

I don't know if Manziel is the answer or not, but if the Browns keep swapping out first round QB's so quickly, they will never find out.

If I were the Browns owner: Fire Pettine, Fire Farmer. Bring in a coach or wants to and can work with Johnny, someone who is not tied to a system, but will tailor a system around Johnny's strengths. Draft some help for Johnny on Offense. Give him a full season to prove himself (unless off the field problems continue to re-surface).
Browns haven't used many 1st round QB's. Tim Couch withstanding, they all needed to be replaced too.

PlasmaDogPlasma said:
Otis said:
Josh Gordon.
Mr. Reliable!
Not yet. But lord knows the talent is there -- the guy was completely dominant. If these two can both keep their noses clean -- and maybe that's a big if -- they sky is the limit. Could be an absolute fantasy powerhouse.

Users who are viewing this thread