What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Johnny Manziel Thread (2 Viewers)

Can't believe an adult had an adult beverage during his week off on Christmas Eve. Unbeleivable!!!!
Agreed, no big deal... unless you have a DRINKING PROBLEM. People that have issues with when-to-say-when and go through rehab for these problems probably should not drink again.
first of all, there is no evidence that your conclusion is true. and secondly, its not a certainty that he has a drinking problem. going to rehab does not prove he has a problem.
lol. So why did he go? You suppose he heard they had good food there?

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't believe an adult had an adult beverage during his week off on Christmas Eve. Unbeleivable!!!!
Agreed, no big deal... unless you have a DRINKING PROBLEM. People that have issues with when-to-say-when and go through rehab for these problems probably should not drink again.
first of all, there is no evidence that your conclusion is true. and secondly, its not a certainty that he has a drinking problem. going to rehab does not prove he has a problem.
Wha???????

People having outrage at a man of the legal drinking age having a 4loco and filming himself singing/rapping?

Oh, the horror. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Stop trying to provide reason, that doesnt fly with many. I have heard of many people going to rehab, and it had nothing to do with alcohol. Also, if he went to rehab and wants a drink that is his business and anyone else who cares about a grown man drinking is the one with a bigger issue. A issue that makes them believe they should have say in someones life they do not know.

He doesn't seem to feel like he has a drinking problem. The whole rehab thing was probably to placate the Browns or ownership insisted on it.

Stop trying to provide reason, that doesnt fly with many. I have heard of many people going to rehab, and it had nothing to do with alcohol. Also, if he went to rehab and wants a drink that is his business and anyone else who cares about a grown man drinking is the one with a bigger issue. A issue that makes them believe they should have say in someones life they do not know.
If Manziel agreed to quit partying and focus on his job then there is a problem. This is really about what the Browns and Manziel agreed upon. It has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks.

it shocks me that people still don't get this. first of all, there is no evidence that your conclusion is true. and secondly, its not a certainty that he has a drinking problem. going to rehab does not prove he has a problem.
If Manziel agreed to quit partying and focus on his job then there is a problem. This is really about what the Browns and Manziel agreed upon. It has nothing to do with what anyone else thinks.

Meh, tough to get worked up about him holding an aluminium can on Christmas Eve.

I doubt his ability to become a legit NFL QB, and he's probably a little bit of a jerk.

But I do empathize with his situation. Being under the microscope, with people definitely looking to catch him slipping up, and playing for Cleveland, that's a tough spot for any player to be in.

By the way, I never heard any details about what he was or wasn't allowed to drink. I'm not sure that this is even newsworthy. He was in rehab, I know. Doesn't mean he's an alcoholic.

Bracie Smathers said:
They need a legitimate blue chip GM first and foremost.
Here's a start http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14453713/cleveland-browns-owner-jimmy-haslam-consult-ron-wolf
Definitely a step in the right direction for Haslam.
His boy being a top GM candidate and him trying to go out of his way to say I'm not getting my son a job has me hmmm here
I think the more interesting take on Wolf coming in as a consultant is his well-known philosophy pertaining to drafting quarterbacks.

Cut and pasted from an old article where Mike Holmgren said he's of the Ron Wolf school of taking a quarterback every draft. His philosophy was to take a MID OR LATE ROUND PICK on a QB every year but he already had an established QB in Farve so that was easy to adhere to.

I'm not sure how he'd apply his tried-and-true QB drafting philosophy to the Browns and the Manziel situation.

Since this is an old article the link is busted.-----------

April 21, 2008,

Seahawks coach Holmgren learned from old boss in GB, Ron Wolf. simple philosophy: Take mid- or late-round qb every yr.

Wolf thought potential for picking a second-day qb a wise investment. …Packers chose second-day qbs in 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996 and 1998, even though Brett Favre made qb last position the Pack needed After 1998 Holmgren left for Seattle, took lesson of qbs with him.

Seattle drafted qbs after second round in 1999, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2005. Like Wolf before him, Holmgren figured that the potential to get a franchise quarterback made a second-day quarterback a risk worth taking.

lol. So why did he go? You suppose he heard they had good food there?
i suppose i coulda worded it a bit better. just bc he went to rehab, does not mean that he should never drink again. plenty of ppl get in trouble, and/or go to rehab only to later on get their sht together and enjoy alcohol responsibly.

Browns draft a QB #2 overall, ship Manzier to Dallas, for a 5th rounder, where he parties all night long with Jerry Jones. Media quits bothering him.

Browns draft a QB #2 overall, ship Manzier to Dallas, for a 5th rounder, where he parties all night long with Jerry Jones. Media quits bothering him.
But as Jerry Jones has proven, he doesn't care if you're a drunk, a woman beater, or an underwear thief. As long as you are a good player. He continues to keep Greg Hardy, even going so far as to call him a leader, while he cut Joseph Randle. Jones won't care one bit that Manziel acts like a 16 year-old after his first beer. But if he doesn't learn how to read defenses and pass the ball, he'll be with Randle, bagging groceries.

cvnpoka said:
Dizzy said:
Otis said:
Sounds like something Manziel's finance' would say to her dad.

dirtyjay said:
People having outrage at a man of the legal drinking age having a (1) 4loco and (2)filming himself (3) singing/rapping?

Those are 3 embarrassing things for anyone. Manziel, Brady, or any other person on this planet, football player, or not.

dirtyjay said:
People having outrage at a man of the legal drinking age having a (1) 4loco and (2)filming himself (3) singing/rapping?

Those are 3 embarrassing things for anyone. Manziel, Brady, or any other person on this planet, football player, or not.
So you are outraged over him doing something embarrassing?

I am amazed at how ridiculous any news regarding JF is. Actually I am not. Lotta of stupid people out there that enjoy stuff like the Kardashians

dirtyjay said:

I am amazed at how ridiculous any news regarding JF is. Actually I am not. Lotta of stupid people out there that enjoy stuff like the Kardashians
Unfortunately, one of those stupid people is his coach, who is trying to figure out if this punk is ever going to grow up and possibly become a decent quarterback. And considering that coach really only has one thing he's asking Manziel to do, it appears Johnny Beerbong is the real stupid one here.

dirtyjay said:

Unfortunately, one of those stupid people is his coach, who is trying to figure out if this punk is ever going to grow up and possibly become a decent quarterback. And considering that coach really only has one thing he's asking Manziel to do, it appears Johnny Beerbong is the real stupid one here.
Yes Pettine is stupid. He needs (needed) to do everything he could to WIN GAMES. He is getting fired. So yes, Pettine is stupid if he at any point in the last month did something that was not in the best interest of getting a win.

Imagine for a second if his wife (or in this case, girlfriend) was linked with a convicted felon HGH dealer.. My god he'd be the worst thing that ever happened to the NFL

dirtyjay said:

Yes Pettine is stupid. He needs (needed) to do everything he could to WIN GAMES. He is getting fired. So yes, Pettine is stupid if he at any point in the last month did something that was not in the best interest of getting a win.
lol. What have you possibly seen from Manziel to make you think he gives anyone the best chance to win? Is it the 40% completion percentage last week? Or the 297 yards passing he has in the last two COMBINED? He's not only an immature drunk, he's also a bad quarterback.

dirtyjay said:

lol. What have you possibly seen from Manziel to make you think he gives anyone the best chance to win? Is it the 40% completion percentage last week? Or the 297 yards passing he has in the last two COMBINED? He's not only an immature drunk, he's also a bad quarterback.
At no point did I say I thought JOhnny gives them the best chance to win.

I said if Pettine made a decision based on anything other than winning the n ext game, he is an idiot. And yes, starting Davis over Manziel probably did not give them the better chance to win

Imagine for a second if his wife (or in this case, girlfriend) was linked with a convicted felon HGH dealer.. My god he'd be the worst thing that ever happened to the NFL
when Manziel accomplishes even one thing in this league, he'll get some slack. He hasn't. Hope this helps

dirtyjay said:
People having outrage at a man of the legal drinking age having a 4loco and filming himself singing/rapping?

Outrage? I could give a flying #### whether the dude wins the MVP or gets hit by a bus.

If you take the addiction element out of this, you've essentially got this:

Pettine and the Browns have asked Manziel to quit going downhill skiing all the time.

The folks that don't get it focus on the fact that lots of people go downhill skiing, so what's the big deal? He's a kid! Kids love to ski. Leave him alone and let him ski. etc. etc.

The folks that get it realize it's a big deal because it's not really about downhill skiing at all. It's about Manziel openly defying his boss's orders, lying about it, continuing to do it even after vowing he'll stop, and doing so with total disregard for the threat of significant ramifications if it continues (or whatever Pettine's quote was).

If you take the addiction element out of this, you've essentially got this:

Pettine and the Browns have asked Manziel to quit going downhill skiing all the time.

The folks that don't get it focus on the fact that lots of people go downhill skiing, so what's the big deal? He's a kid! Kids love to ski. Leave him alone and let him ski. etc. etc.

The folks that get it realize it's a big deal because it's not really about downhill skiing at all. It's about Manziel openly defying his boss's orders, lying about it, continuing to do it even after vowing he'll stop, and doing so with total disregard for the threat of significant ramifications if it continues (or whatever Pettine's quote was).
Good post, like the analogy, and it's pretty spot on. I do believe Manziel is an alcoholic, however, and I hope his enablers get him the help he needs before he hits a low that essentially keeps all NFL teams from signing him. Wish the kid nothing but the best, but his journey isn't simply uphill, it's crossing Mt. Everest. In ten years he'll probably be an afterthought, or the answer to some sports trivia question. I truly hope I'm wrong about this,, because he's a joy to watch.

As an Eagles fan I know you're overly qualified to critique bad quarterback play but you do realize this is Cleveland, right? How many quarterbacks have look good in a Browns uniform, 3?Otto, Kosar and Sipe.

As an Eagles fan I know you're overly qualified to critique bad quarterback play but you do realize this is Cleveland, right? How many quarterbacks have look good in a Browns uniform, 3?Otto, Kosar and Sipe.
that's about all I can think of, too. They should cut Manziel and go with McCown. And draft a qb.

that's about all I can think of, too. They should cut Manziel and go with McCown. And draft a qb.
You just want that to happen so he can go to my Cowboys!

Even crazier is I actually want him to sit behind Romo for two more years.

I have zero doubt that Jerry would sign him. I'd love it.

STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:

Says the guy who loves and defends Greg Hardy's treatment of women.

John Clayton did a clip where he says Johnny will likely be gone next year, trade him for a 5th or 6th rounder, maybe to Dallas and then Browns will draft a qb in round 1

John Clayton did a clip where he says Johnny will likely be gone next year, trade him for a 5th or 6th rounder, maybe to Dallas and then Browns will draft a qb in round 1
if Petine is gone, Manziel is gone. You're not bringing in a top coaching candidate telling him he's saddled with Manziel as his QB. No one wants to deal with that sideshow. Not for such minimal production.

Users who are viewing this thread