What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (8 Viewers)

Sabertooth

Footballguy
Keenan Allen dropped in the draft due to some character issues and due to being hurt. He's healthy now and practising.

Going into this past season he was considered perhaps the top WR in this draft class. Here are some comments on him.

Mayock "If you like him, he's Anquan Boldin, if you don't like him he's speed deficient." He then went on to say he plays like a 4.55 guy all day.

More later. I have to go.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________

Here is an article written after the DX injury.

“I want to be a starter,” Chargers wide receiver Keenan Allen said in June, according to the San Diego Union-Tribune. “I don’t want to watch. I want to be part of the moment. I don’t want to watch it.”

Allen may get the chance he desires, with news that the oft-injured Danario Alexander is likely done for the year with an ACL injury.

It’s an uphill battle for Allen, even after Alexander’s injury. Chargers head coach Mike McCoy said less than two weeks ago that “he’s got a lot to learn,”per the team’s website, adding, “He’s got a long way to go and he’ll be the first one to tell you that.”

A lengthy rehab from the knee injury Allen suffered last season at Cal no doubt slowed his early development. Allen sat out drills at the Combine and delayed his Pro Day because of that ailment, and his shaky offseason did just enough to drive Allen’s value down. So much, in fact, that San Diego nabbed him at No. 76 overall in the draft.

But here’s what the last Audibles 2013 NFL Draft Big Board had to say about Allen:

Forget about Allen’s uninspiring pro day 40 times (4.71 and 4.75). He’s not a speed receiver. The more important news is that he was able to work out for scouts, finally starting to move past his lingering knee injury. If the lack of polish in Cordarrelle Patterson’s game scares you, Allen is at the far end of the spectrum — he’s NFL-ready as a receiver.

For a San Diego team that’s in desperate need of a talent infusion, Allen appeared to be a sensational fit … and that was before the unfortunate news about Alexander. Working in Allen’s favor is that he is capable of lining up at any of the receiver spots, as he did at Cal on his way to 205 career catches. If the Chargers want to drop Vincent Brown or Eddie Royal in as a slot receiver, Allen can jump out wide opposite 2012 leading receiver Malcom Floyd in two- or three-receiver sets; if they would prefer Allen in the slot, his game translates well there, too.

The Chargers still have a lot of bodies at receiver. But that group generated minimal production last season, outside of Floyd’s 59 catches. Alexander came in second amongst the receivers, at 37 grabs, despite missing six games. That number also landed Alexander behind two running backs (Ryan Mathews and Ronnie Brown) and tight end Antonio Gates.

The two most proven vets on San Diego’s depth chart at WR, Eddie Royal and Robert Meachem, both bombed in 2012, combining for a mere 37 grabs. Vincent Brown missed the entire year with an ankle injury, after a 19-catch rookie season.

San Diego will not hand anything to Allen, especially if he has any setbacks with his troublesome knee in the preseason. The Alexander injury, though, accelerates the timetable for the third-round pick. He may enter the exhibition slate fourth or fifth on the depth chart, but the upside here is high enough for San Diego to give its rookie receiver a little longer look now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really hoping no one would start this thread. He's got superb talent and now may have opportunity. His whole situation--and set of skills--reminds me a good bit of Mike Williams in his rookie year.

I reluctantly traded him and a first next year(most likely late) for Andre Johnson to bolster my lineup this year instead of waiting. I based my decision on thinking it might take a year or two for Allen to settle in. I always looked at Alexander as an injury waiting to happen, but was hoping it didn't happen so soon.

I think Allen has a good shot to be starting by mid season. Floyd is always nicked up, and it seems like Brown is better suited for a WR2 role. I could see Allen and Brown as the WR1 and WR2 combo very soon. Floyd may play the stretch the field role in place of Alexander. Not sure if Allen is fantasy relevant this year, but I can see it happening very soon.

I still like Gates as the top receiver on the team this year.

Every year there's a team that unusually bad in all aspects--This is the team for me.

1. The OL may be the worst in football
  2. Due to the above Rivers may regress even more then last year
  3. Matthews' injuries keep on coming
  4. Gates isnt getting any younger
I wouldnt be shocked to see Woodhead lead this team in fantasy points to be honest. There's just something about this team that I want no parts of this year.

I was really hoping no one would start this thread. He's got superb talent and now may have opportunity. His whole situation--and set of skills--reminds me a good bit of Mike Williams in his rookie year.
Sorry brutha, I need the board cred after the whole Adrian Peterson thread debacle.

He was flying under the radar in dynasty and in redraft. I think the Alexander injury changes that. Waldman is high on him too.

Working with the 1's today.

(Rotoworld)Rookie WR Keenan Allen mixed in with the first-team offense during the Chargers' first practice without Danario Alexander (torn ACL).Analysis: Vincent Brown (hamstring) was rested for some reps, and Allen benefited by working with the ones opposite Malcom Floyd and Eddie Royal. Brown is out for San Diego's preseason opener, so Allen should get opportunities to play with the Philip Rivers group in three-wideout sets. He's the No. 4 receiver right now.

Rotoworld:

According to the Union-Tribune San Diego, rookie WR Keenan Allen is having an up-and-down training camp.
Allen's reps have increased due to Danario Alexander's ACL tear, but his play still has a ways to go. Per columnist Tom Krasovic, "Sometimes, (Allen) asserts himself. Other times, he looks uncertain." Allen has practiced every day in camp, but is treading water as San Diego's No. 4 wideout entering the preseason.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego
Chargers coach Mike McCoy recently told the team website rookie WR Keenan Allen has "a long ways to go."

Other than these quotes, Allen has had such a quiet camp that he hasn't so much as warranted a Rotoworld blurb since June 25. "He’s got a lot to learn," said McCoy. "He’s got a long ways to go and he’ll be the first one to tell you that." McCoy did praise Allen's work ethic and says he's "competing." After Danario Alexander's ACL tear, Allen is a player to monitor this preseason.

Aug 6 - 7:59 PM

Source: chargers.com

The guy glides on the field. He's a rookie, of course he will have up and downs, not to mention he had to miss OTA's because of the rules. He looks explosive on the field though and has had some very good practices.

He certainly flashes top end #1WR ability though. Still wouldn't expect big numbers out of him this season.

I reluctantly traded him and a first next year(most likely late) for Andre Johnson to bolster my lineup this year instead of waiting. I based my decision on thinking it might take a year or two for Allen to settle in. I always looked at Alexander as an injury waiting to happen, but was hoping it didn't happen so soon.

I think Allen has a good shot to be starting by mid season. Floyd is always nicked up, and it seems like Brown is better suited for a WR2 role. I could see Allen and Brown as the WR1 and WR2 combo very soon. Floyd may play the stretch the field role in place of Alexander. Not sure if Allen is fantasy relevant this year, but I can see it happening very soon.

I think you made a good trade and I agree with your assessment of the situation. I also think Gates will have a resurgence this season but the signs of his decline have already been seen. It is only a matter of time.

I see Allen's skill set being a good fit to take over that role as a possession receiver once Gates does fade from their plans which may happen in 2014.

I am still somewhat worried about the PCL injury because it seemed like it took a long time for him to recover from that. But my worry here may be unfounded.

I think you made a good trade and I agree with your assessment of the situation. I also think Gates will have a resurgence this season but the signs of his decline have already been seen. It is only a matter of time.

I see Allen's skill set being a good fit to take over that role as a possession receiver once Gates does fade from their plans which may happen in 2014.

I am still somewhat worried about the PCL injury because it seemed like it took a long time for him to recover from that. But my worry here may be unfounded.
Hard to get HGH in college :porked:

Sorry brutha, I need the board cred after the whole Adrian Peterson thread debacle.
:lol: I know I have given you are hard time on some things. This is a good thread though and you have been bringing some good info to conversations lately as well.

The Pack still sucks though.

Rotoworld:

Chargers rookie WR Keenan Allen has been receiving treatment on his surgically-repaired left knee.
He couldn't make it through Tuesday's practice. It's the same knee that cut short Allen's senior year at Cal. The Chargers are insisting it's just a precaution, but it's a concern after Allen took unusually long to get healthy this offseason. With Danario Alexander lost for the season and Malcom Floyd unlikely for Week 1, it goes without saying that the Bolts can't lose another receiver.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter

Rotoworld:

Chargers rookie WR Keenan Allen has been receiving treatment on his surgically-repaired left knee.
He couldn't make it through Tuesday's practice. It's the same knee that cut short Allen's senior year at Cal. The Chargers are insisting it's just a precaution, but it's a concern after Allen took unusually long to get healthy this offseason. With Danario Alexander lost for the season and Malcom Floyd unlikely for Week 1, it goes without saying that the Bolts can't lose another receiver.

Source: Michael Gehlken on Twitter
Junior year rotoworld

Rotoworld:

Chargers WR Keenan Allen (knee) was a full participant in Wednesday's practice.
Allen couldn't make it through Tuesday's session, but his departure was just a precaution. It's certainly concerning that Allen is having issues with the same left knee that gave him fits during his draft prep, but for now it's nothing he can't play through.

Source: Union-Tribune San Diego

I'm not sure he took unusually long this offseason,
No 2 injuries are the same and players recover at different rates as well.

I don't have any specific details about Allen's injury, but it was a concern enough to NFL teams that he fell to the 3rd round. Maybe he was not a 1st round prospect but many people liked Allen. A lot of people had Allen as the top WR prospect from this draft at least in early Feb/March. As Allen was still struggling with the injury as the draft approached the talk about him dried up a lot.

The way I view this is that Allen may not have been a 1st round pick if fully healthy/performed better in workouts with teams interested, but I think he could have been a 2nd round pick if fully healthy. I think teams had concerns about his recovery and that is why he fell to the 3rd round.

The injury may be more severe than we know is part of the reason why. I do not know anything about the extent of his injury, I just know teams passed on him for that reason. So that makes me concerned about it because NFL teams were.

Hopefully he will be fine and the Chargers got a steal here. Good to hear he is back at practice, but hearing he is still having issues with his knee now is cause for concern as well.

I do not know what is the typical time line to recovery for a PCL injury though. Part of me being worried about it is due to Ryan Williams struggling to come back from his injury. Their injuries may not be similar at all though. Again 2 different players 2 different injuries. I just get nervous about things like this. I wish Keenan Allen best of luck and hopefully he can get back to pre injury form, however long that process takes for him.

I'm not sure he took unusually long this offseason,
No 2 injuries are the same and players recover at different rates as well.

I don't have any specific details about Allen's injury, but it was a concern enough to NFL teams that he fell to the 3rd round. Maybe he was not a 1st round prospect but many people liked Allen. A lot of people had Allen as the top WR prospect from this draft at least in early Feb/March. As Allen was still struggling with the injury as the draft approached the talk about him dried up a lot.

The way I view this is that Allen may not have been a 1st round pick if fully healthy/performed better in workouts with teams interested, but I think he could have been a 2nd round pick if fully healthy. I think teams had concerns about his recovery and that is why he fell to the 3rd round.

The injury may be more severe than we know is part of the reason why. I do not know anything about the extent of his injury, I just know teams passed on him for that reason. So that makes me concerned about it because NFL teams were.

Hopefully he will be fine and the Chargers got a steal here. Good to hear he is back at practice, but hearing he is still having issues with his knee now is cause for concern as well.

I do not know what is the typical time line to recovery for a PCL injury though. Part of me being worried about it is due to Ryan Williams struggling to come back from his injury. Their injuries may not be similar at all though. Again 2 different players 2 different injuries. I just get nervous about things like this. I wish Keenan Allen best of luck and hopefully he can get back to pre injury form, however long that process takes for him.
What does Ryan Williams have to do with this? He ruptured his patella tendon. Of course the injuries may not be similar - they aren't even remotely the same injuries.

I am not a doctor nor do I play one on TV or anywhere else. Those injuries may be nothing alike I never said they were. My worry about Ryan Williams just meant to be an example of some players not being able to come back from injury even after being cleared to play. Others lose some of their ability. Just as an example of a worst case scenario, not that I know or think the 2 injuries are in any way the same.

Like I said before my worry may be wholly unfounded.

ETA- So I have been trying to educate myself some more about Allens injury. I found a few articles about this that may be of interest.

November 1st Today Dan Greenspan of CalSportsDigest.com confirms the news we had been hearing on top wide receiver prospect Keenan Allen. Dan Greenspan ‏@DanGreenspan Tedford won’t rule Allen out for season yet, but “won’t do anything to jeopardize his health.” #Cal Dan Greenspan ‏@DanGreenspan Keenan Allen has PCL injury, is looking at two-three week recovery, #Cal head coach Jeff Tedford says http://www.yardbarker.com/all_sports/articles/cal_coach_jeff_tedford_confirms_top_draft_prospect_keenan_allen_has_pcl_injury/12108247
Aug 14: Keenan Allen

Allen (knee) practiced fully Wednesday, the San Diego Union Tribune reports.

Aug 13: Keenan Allen
Allen left practice Tuesday to receive knee treatment, San Diego Union-Tribune writer Michael Gehlken reports.

Aug 09: Keenan Allen
Allen had two receptions for 13 yards in Thursday night's preseason opener.

Aug 08: Keenan Allen
With the recent season-ending injury to Danario Alexander, Allen should see plenty of action in Thursday night's preseason opener, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

Jun 25: Keenan Allen
Allen says he is completely comfortable with the Chargers playbook and hopes to earn a starting role by the time his rookie season kicks off, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

Jun 12: Keenan Allen
Allen (knee) did not appear to be limited in Tuesday's practice, the San Diego Union-Tribune reports.

May 10: Keenan Allen
Allen (knee) was a full participant in team drills Friday.

May 09: Keenan Allen
Allen (knee) signed a four-year contract with the Chargers on Thursday, NFL.com reports.

Apr 27: Keenan Allen
Allen believes his knee rehab is going very well, and that he should be close to 100% in the next two weeks, the Chargers' Official Website reports.

Apr 26: Keenan Allen
The Chargers selected Allen in the third round of the 2013 NFL Draft, 76th overall.

Apr 19: Keenan Allen
Contrary to a previous report, Allen (PCL) had a followup meeting from February's Combine to have his ankle examined, not to take a drug test, ESPN.com reports.

Apr 16: Keenan Allen
Allen (PCL) was red-flagged at the Combine after a drug test revealed "suspiciously high levels of water in his system" a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Apr 09: Keenan Allen
Allen (PCL) ran the 40-yard dash in 4.71 and 4.75 seconds at a private workout Tuesday, NFL.com reports.

Mar 10: Keenan Allen
Allen (knee) will visit Dr. James Andrews on Monday for further information on his injury, NFL.com's Gil Brandt reports.

Feb 20: Keenan Allen
Allen (PCL strain) will not participate in drills at the Combine and will only run routes at the California pro day March 14, CBS Sports reports. Allen will not run the 40-yard dash or any other timed or measured drills until a separate workout in the first week of April.
http://app.pickemfirst.com/p/nfl/8627/keenan-allen-SD-WR/
Allen had some swelling in his knee while he was training. He went to get an MRI and saw noted orthopedic surgeon Dr. James Andrews, who diagnosed Allen as having a Grade 2 PCL strain. According to Allen's agent, Andrews told the 20-year-old wideout that his injury should not ever require surgical intervention. http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/21736203/kennan-allen-wont-workout-at-combine
Patients who have grade 1 or 2 PCL injuries should first receive non-operative treatment that includes aggressive quadriceps strengthening and full range-of-movement maintenance. Patients may return to sports when quadriceps and hamstring strength reaches 90% of the opposite side. This may take as long as 4-6 weeks.http://www.physioroom.com/injuries/knee/pcl_full.php
Doctors classify PCL injuries in these groups:

• Grade I: The PCL has a partial tear.
  • Grade II: The ligament is partially torn and is looser than in Grade I.
  • Grade III: The ligament is completely torn and the knee becomes unstable.
  • Grade IV: The PCL is damaged along with another ligament in the knee.
PCL problems can be acute or chronic. Acute PCL problems are due to a sudden injury. Chronic PCL problems involve an injury that develops over time.

Symptoms of PCL InjuryMost people don't feel or hear a "popping" sensation in the knee after a PCL injury. This is more common with an injury to the ACL.

After a PCL injury, people often think they only have a minor knee problem. They may try to go on with their usual activities. However, symptoms that can develop include:

So Dr Andrews said it was a grade 2 PCL injury that should not require surgery to heal. A grade 1-2 PCL injury usually takes 4-6 weeks to heal. He was injured before Nov 1st. 5 months later he still wasn't recovered enough from the injury to run full speed.

I hope he will be fine but yeah this is the kind of thing that gives me a lot of pause when the recovery time is 4-5 times longer than a usual injury of this type. Dr Andrews is at the top of his field and hopefully Allen will be fine. But yeah it makes me nervous as this seems like it could be chronic, because of how long it has been lingering.

Anyone worried about his pcl?
I am now.

I was a little concerned when he struggled during the pre draft process, but thought when he was picked in the 3rd that medically the Chargers gave him a thumbs up.

It's been almost 10 months and it's still giving him issues.

I'm really hoping he gets some good playing time tonight. The opportunity is definitely there for him perhaps more than with any other rookie wr in this class. I really hope that his knee is up for it.

Until we see him do something in a preseason game, color me concerned. I want to see him cut, separate, get hit, etc in a game setting.
Umm did you watch the last game? Clipboard Jesus screwed him on 2 big plays. He had beat the CB on a deep sideline route that he got over thrown on. Then he beat the CB on the other side on a crossing route that was a piss poor throw he dove (that he shouldn't of dove for) for that ended up being tipped for a INT.

My favorite was the curl route he ripped down and turned upfield. Simple play but he owned that ####. Reminded me of how Sterling Sharpe used to grab those.

He looked good in the last preseason game if you watched it.
Yes, outside of the fumble I liked what I saw. He's going to surprise a lot of people. I'm a huge fan and proud owner.
Fumble? I watched the game and don't remember seeing one. All I recall is him diving for an uncatchable pass. I don't see him or any other Charger credited with a fumble in the NFL stats, when was it?

Yes, outside of the fumble I liked what I saw. He's going to surprise a lot of people. I'm a huge fan and proud owner.
Fumble? I watched the game and don't remember seeing one. All I recall is him diving for an uncatchable pass. I don't see him or any other Charger credited with a fumble in the NFL stats, when was it?
Now that I thinks about it, it may have been ruled an interception the ball went through his hands.

Now that I thinks about it, it may have been ruled an interception the ball went through his hands.
Meh, I do recall him diving for an errant throw and having it go off his finger tips. I would not have described it as through his hands, or considered it like his fumble, but oh well.

The ball wasn't remotely catchable. He shouldn't of even dove for the ball.

From Dr. Jene Bramel

I wrote a little on Keenan Allen leading up to the draft in a larger feature here.
KEENAN ALLEN

(PCL sprain, ankle)
Likelihood of Medical Flag: HIGH

Allen sprained his PCL in November but still wasn’t ready to run at Cal’s mid-March pro day due to persistent swelling in the joint. It’s also notable that Allen was asked to come back to Indianapolis in April for a medical re-check – but teams wanted another look at a previous ankle injury, not the knee. Allen’s game isn’t necessarily built on speed but two balky joints are likely to get him flagged by teams worried whether his short-area quickness will be affected. Rumors of issues surrounding his combine drug test won’t help either.

It's difficult to know how much his draft stock was affected, but it definitely had some effect.

I'm not too worried about the recent missed practice time -- in fact, the maintenance time may be reassuring and show that the team has big plans for him -- since he returned so quickly. It's certainly something that could be a chronic issue, however.

Going to copy Bloom on this in the hopes that one of us will remember to include it in the show tonight. :P

Thanks for listening,

Jene

Obviously he's a rookie and has a lot to learn. But first impressions are huge, and he has a golden opportunity to get some playing time if he can separate himself from the other fodder on that roster.

So far he's blowing it.

Obviously he's a rookie and has a lot to learn. But first impressions are huge, and he has a golden opportunity to get some playing time if he can separate himself from the other fodder on that roster.

So far he's blowing it.
No he isn't.
I'm not as concerned about his knee, now that I've seen him move since leaving practice Tue. However, to think he hasn't had a fairly poor run so far in game settings would be incorrect. Again, it's early and long-term his future looks bright. But I'm beginning to doubt he'll be much of a producer this season.

So far he's blowing it.
No he isn't.
I'm not as concerned about his knee, now that I've seen him move since leaving practice Tue. However, to think he hasn't had a fairly poor run so far in game settings would be incorrect. Again, it's early and long-term his future looks bright. But I'm beginning to doubt he'll be much of a producer this season.
Have you watched the games? I didn't see last night but I saw the first one and he looked good. I'm not going to write him off after 4 catches from a backup QB.

Beerguzzler said:
BigTex said:
BigJim® said:
BigTex said:
Sabertooth said:
The ball wasn't remotely catchable. He shouldn't of even dove for the ball.
It looked like it went through his hands to me.

Whats up with Keenan Allen? Any updates? Hard to find any good info on him.

I snagged him with pick 33 in our rookie draft - no idea why he fell so far or maybe everyone knows something I don't.

I would think with a banged up Royal and Flloyd. With Denario out of the picture - Allen would be getting some hype - but does not seem like it.

He doesn't look quite ready yet. Floyd might be available to start the season. I think he's worth drafting in a dynasty situation, but for redraft he's probably a skip unless you've got long benches. Just keep an eye on him as a possible WW pick up as the season goes along - particularly when Floyd gets hurt again.

So this guy was being talked about as the most NFL ready receiver coming out and the possible WR2 for SD. Despite their rash of injuries at the position, he's now being listed behind Eddie Royal & Vincent Brown (2 guys he was expected to beat). Is this just a "pay your dues rookie" thing, or are there other issues at play?

Haven't followed SD much the last few weeks...

Users who are viewing this thread