What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (2 Viewers)

The matchup with the Broncos worries me a little

It's on the road and it's a short week plus looking back on the stats from the 1st game he only had 4 catches

Can the Chargers OL handle the Broncos pressure?
Exactly my concern as well....
I think pressure is a legitimate concern but from what I gather he was only hit 5 times when they first met (sacked 4 times however).

Interestingly enough, Rivers had the 4th worst statistical output versus DEN this year (only Henne, RG3 and Fitzpatrick had worse outings). I think it's safe to say that Rivers has played on a much higher level than the aforementioned QBs this year. Obviously, a good percentage of Allen's output is directly tied to Rivers and I'm expecting Rivers to improve on his 19/29 - 218 - 1/0 stat line. Allen was also targeted the 5 times, second most behind Gates (8) in that game so it's not like he wasn't apart of the game plan.

I'm always wary of Thursday night games, I ####### hate them. Unless I have a RB or K going I usually don't want any part of it. Vegas however has the O/U at 55 right now, which will easily be one of the highest, if not the highest of the week. Unless you have a top 10 option, I think you have to start him.
Unless you have a top 10 option? Rivers is fourth in scoring in the league I made the championship? If you see 10 quarterbacks in front of him, you're wrong.
I think he meant Allen.

He is in my lineups no matter what.

I was debating about sitting Garcon or Woodhead for Allen this week. I don't want to start too many Chargers since I could be starting Rivers/Woodhead/Allen.

It's on the road and it's a short week plus looking back on the stats from the 1st game he only had 4 catches

I think pressure is a legitimate concern but from what I gather he was only hit 5 times when they first met (sacked 4 times however).

Interestingly enough, Rivers had the 4th worst statistical output versus DEN this year (only Henne, RG3 and Fitzpatrick had worse outings). I think it's safe to say that Rivers has played on a much higher level than the aforementioned QBs this year. Obviously, a good percentage of Allen's output is directly tied to Rivers and I'm expecting Rivers to improve on his 19/29 - 218 - 1/0 stat line. Allen was also targeted the 5 times, second most behind Gates (8) in that game so it's not like he wasn't apart of the game plan.

I'm always wary of Thursday night games, I ####### hate them. Unless I have a RB or K going I usually don't want any part of it. Vegas however has the O/U at 55 right now, which will easily be one of the highest, if not the highest of the week. Unless you have a top 10 option, I think you have to start him.
Unless you have a top 10 option? Rivers is fourth in scoring in the league I made the championship? If you see 10 quarterbacks in front of him, you're wrong.
This is a Keenan Allen thread. I thought "Allen's output is directly tied to Rivers" blatantly signaled a segue in my post..I guess not.

I'm not a fan of Thursday Night Football either. My playoff lineup is largely riding on this one game. Rivers, Allen, Woodhead, Demaryius, Decker. That's 50 percent of my starting lineup. Yikes! I almost don't want to watch.

I think he meant Allen.He is in my lineups no matter what.
My bad. This is an Allen thread after all. Ya Allen's still a top 15 guy I guess

Yep. Under the weather today... Good post same song. The last chargers-broncos game caught me off guard. I'm not sure what to expect from Allen in this one, but I'm thinking the chargers will get more in the passing game going.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a fan of Thursday Night Football either. My playoff lineup is largely riding on this one game. Rivers, Allen, Woodhead, Demaryius, Decker. That's 50 percent of my starting lineup. Yikes! I almost don't want to watch.
I'm in a similar situation. I'm starting Allen, Rivers, Gates, Novak and Moreno in my vital week 2 playoff matchup. My opponent is starting Decker and Julius Thomas. I have everything riding on this Thursday night matchup! At the very least, we won't have to wait too long to realize if we're going to advance to week 3.

With that said, I'm starting Allen and all Chargers with confidence. The over/under is 55 for a reason. The Chargers are going to have to put up points if they want any chance of winning and staying in the playoff hunt. I think they learned their lesson from the last Broncos game, and saw that you have to put up at least 35 points if you want to have any prayer of beating the Broncos. The Chargers have the horses to pull that off, and I doubt if they'll go into their ball control shell this time around.

Expect lots of passes and lots of points for the Chargers this week.

Yep. Under the weather today... Good post same song. The last chargers-broncos game caught me off guard. I'm not sure what to expect from Allen in this one, but I'm thinking the chargers will get more in the passing game going.
All good, the end of that post was rather ambiguous.

More stats..

On a YPG basis, Denver and SD rank 1rst and 4th respectively as it pertains to total offense.

On a YPG basis, Denver and SD rank 25th and 27th respectively as it pertains to total defense.

On a PPG basis, Denver is allowing the 4th most points to QBs, 9th most to WRs, 9th most to RBs and 6th most to TEs.

On a PPG basis, SD is allowing the 8th most points to QBs, 4th most to WRs, 22nd most to RBs and 18th most to TEs

Im in the same boat. Made the semis in both my leagues and will have rivers and allen going in one and Manning, Decker, and Julius Thomas going in another.Thursday is going to be one hell of a watch, and I agree with you about hating Thursday games. But what are you going to do bench these guys? these guys are the reason you made it this far.

No one's worried about him maybe getting dinged up again and not finishing the game or missing a few drives? He's said that it will bother him the rest of the way. That's concerning, especially on a short week. Admittedly I have a good option (V-Jax) to plug in, but I'm a little worried.

RushHour said:
No one's worried about him maybe getting dinged up again and not finishing the game or missing a few drives? He's said that it will bother him the rest of the way. That's concerning, especially on a short week. Admittedly I have a good option (V-Jax) to plug in, but I'm a little worried.
It's definitely a possibility but I wouldn't let it factor too much into my decision. I know he got a shot when he went to the locker room but I was paying close attention to his second TD and subsequent celebration. After scoring he raised both arm up to at least ear level and seemed to have close to full range of motion in both shoulders. In fact, you couldn't tell which shoulder was injured/bothering him.

The severity of the injury must be minor, as he came back in and McCoy didn't even seem remotely worried about it in Monday's presser. The injury seems very manageable.

This is whats bugging me. i have a decent option in Torrey Smith, its a short week, hard frozen field. ONly 3 targets last week

Am I over thinking this?

Someone tell me he will be fine

Definitely a little worried by the injury. Also have Garcon and White I could plug in instead. Just worried that it could bother him in the cold.

This is whats bugging me. i have a decent option in Torrey Smith, its a short week, hard frozen field. ONly 3 targets last week

Am I over thinking this?

Frozen field? Its supposed to be high 40s and sunny with little wind. Conditions should not be an issue for either team

Am I over thinking this?

Frozen field? Its supposed to be high 40s and sunny with little wind. Conditions should not be an issue for either team
I don't think it's going to be very sunny tonight...

I'm a bit worried about his shoulder, but, frankly, I'm more worried about only having three targets last week and how Denver corralled him Week 10. Unfortunately, I need to make a decision soon because the only other players I can see sitting him for are Eddie Lacy/James Stark, which is another choice fraught with danger.

Just don't use him on punt returns anymore, 'K coach McCoy? Thanks

Though it's unlikely Denver will be punting much. I'd rather avoid more hits on our guy

I'm a bit worried about his shoulder, but, frankly, I'm more worried about only having three targets last week and how Denver corralled him Week 10. Unfortunately, I need to make a decision soon because the only other players I can see sitting him for are Eddie Lacy/James Stark, which is another choice fraught with danger.
Not terribly worried about the targets last week. They were up big early, so there wasn't a real need to throw. I'm worried about Denver's D slowing him down like the 1st matchup and his shoulder. But everywhere I look, Allen is basically a WR1 so it's hard to sit him.

Allen is practicing in full this week.

I think the 3 targets was more a product of the score.

Am I over thinking this?

I don't think it's going to be very sunny tonight...
Still should be mid to upper 30s. Cold for sure but not terrible

Targets are certainly low for Allen but he has an extremely high reception percentage. (highest in the league tied with Edelman). He's having good games over his last 3 following not only the dud in DEN but also a worse game in MIA where he was targeted more and caught less.

You can look at the DEN game as that they solved him but they didn't really test it by throwing it to him. I think it's more likely that coaching says, well sheesh- (yeah- sheesh, it's Cali) we gotta get Keenan the ball if we have any chance of scoring points...

He's a WR1 (back end of WR1) this week in my opinion (I do own him).

I'm starting him with Alshon over Torrey Smith. And leaning towards starting Steven Jackson over Torrey at flex.

I hate Thursday football! But I don't see how anyone can bench him at this stage. Two TDs last week on just three targets. More than likely will be playing from behind tonight so SD will need to throw. He's staying in all my lineups, even with other options available.

As others have said, the targets were more so a product of the score. SD was up 24-0 as half and Mathews and Woodhead combined for 35 rushing attempts. When you see that Mathews had 29 rushing attempts, you get a good idea of how that game must have played out. Unless you believe SD can do the same to DEN (shut them out by multiple scores quickly), there's nothing to worry about.

As for the first time they faced off, I've already stated it was very likely an aberration, Allen wasn't corralled. Rivers only chucked it up 29 times for 218 yards and a touchdown. It was the fourth worst outing vs. DEN this year (just in front of studs like Henne, Fitzpatrick and RG3). I think he improves on those numbers.

The only way I see Allen disappointing is if some type of fluke allows SD to go up big early.

As an aside, the O/U has moved up to 57, DEN is -10.5.

Starting him over VJax in one league.

Benching him in favor of Alshon in another.

As others have said, the targets were more so a product of the score. SD was up 24-0 as half and Mathews and Woodhead combined for 35 rushing attempts. When you see that Mathews had 29 rushing attempts, you get a good idea of how that game must have played out. Unless you believe SD can do the same to DEN (shut them out by multiple scores quickly), there's nothing to worry about.

As for the first time they faced off, I've already stated it was very likely an aberration, Allen wasn't corralled. Rivers only chucked it up 29 times for 218 yards and a touchdown. It was the fourth worst outing vs. DEN this year (just in front of studs like Henne, Fitzpatrick and RG3). I think he improves on those numbers.

The only way I see Allen disappointing is if some type of fluke allows SD to go up big early.

As an aside, the O/U has moved up to 57, DEN is -10.5.
plus he didnt have his sleeves on vs Denver first time around.

temp under 40 = SLEEVES!

lol I think I'm going to have to start Allen over the potential Lacy/Starks mess. I just hate Thursday night football. It seems like whatever lineup decisions I make regarding players playing on Thursday night is destined to be wrong.

lol I think I'm going to have to start Allen over the potential Lacy/Starks mess. I just hate Thursday night football. It seems like whatever lineup decisions I make regarding players playing on Thursday night is destined to be wrong.
If that's the case then please don't start him! Then again, I'm a part of the Lacy/Starks mess as well so benching those guys would help me too! Bench everybody!

I hate Thursday Night Football too.... I want to play him but I can't put him in over Dez and Gordon or Vereen at flex.... Wish I had more time to decide

why would you do that? if Lacy plays, he's a top 5 RB option, if he doesn't Starks is a top 10 option. if you have both of those guys just wait. and if Lacy is your biggest worry in your lineup, you are sitting pretty good

why would you do that? if Lacy plays, he's a top 5 RB option, if he doesn't Starks is a top 10 option. if you have both of those guys just wait. and if Lacy is your biggest worry in your lineup, you are sitting pretty good
Well, at the risk of derailing the thread, there's always the possibility that Lacy goes and can't finish.

a little over the top freaking out here....it's pretty clear the injury isn't a huge issue.....if he was playing on Sunday or Monday you would probably be starting him, right?.....so he's playing on Thursday, so you still start him.....yeah he could re-ding the shoulder, but he could do that Sunday or Monday too....you guys have managed your teams all year, just make your best call and roll with it....this is a pretty solid matchup against a team that can give up some fantasy points....

I live in CO....temps are expected to be in the 50's here today and 40 at kickoff, only getting down to low 30's by the end of the game....no wind.....great night for football and conditions won't be an issue....

hopefully SD runs Allen on crossing routes like they did all day against KC....that is tough to stop....and hopefully they use Green this week....Allen will get some attention, but if they can get Green/Gates/Royal/Brown, etc involved and Woodhead and R. Brown out of the backfield to occupy the LB's a little....Allen should find some room....he runs great routes and I expect Rivers to pepper him quite a bit...

Keenan Allen is a must start!

1. SD vs. DEN has a high O/U at 57. This is good news for Keenan Allen owners.

2. Vegas has Keenan Allen projected at 5 receptions with 79.5 yards with a 45% chance of a TD

3. Vegas has Philip Rivers projected at 290.5 yards.

4. David Dodds has Allen projected at 75 yards.

Everything is lining up for a big game for Keenan Allen. I have him in all my lineups.

Nervous about this Thursday thing as well. Got Moreno, Julius and Allen going tonight.

Fwiw, I've got Allen pencilled in over V Jax and Fitz.

Is there any research showing a lack of scoring on Thursday? Seems every week the game is a clunker. But sometimes perception isn't reality.

So tempted to sit Allen for Racist Riley (@Min) in one league and Cordarelle P (vs Phi) in another. Have a strong feeling that Allen will be decent but unspectacular tonight, while the other two go off on Sunday. Just. Can't. Do it.

Don't overthink this guys. Allen is the best wideout on SD and has a great QB throwing him the ball in a game that they'll probably be playing behind against a defense that isn't very good in pass coverage. What's there to worry about?

Don't overthink this guys. Allen is the best wideout on SD and has a great QB throwing him the ball in a game that they'll probably be playing behind against a defense that isn't very good in pass coverage. What's there to worry about?
Only thing that has me slightly worried is that he's a little banged up and that he only put up 4/41 last time they played when everybody was saying the same thing as they are now. Not enough worry for me to bench him, but enough for me to worry.

Only thing that has me slightly worried is that he's a little banged up and that he only put up 4/41 last time they played when everybody was saying the same thing as they are now. Not enough worry for me to bench him, but enough for me to worry.
It's the fantasy playoffs....why worry? :D

the shoulder bugs me a little bit but I think he guts it out and has a good game.

:goodposting:

Allen has been playing very well, and according to practice reports, he was a full participant this week. I get the concern about the shoulder, and yes, he failed to fulfill expectations the last time these two teams faced off (and he was coming off of a big game then, as well). However, Allen did come in last week after he injured his shoulder and promptly scored, easing the concern about the shoulder some. I do not anticipate the Chargers failing to get their best offensive weapon heavily involved in a game where they need to generate plenty of offensive production to maintain pace with the Denver juggernaut offense. I really expect a better showing tonight from Rivers than he had in their Week #10 contest, and hence, better numbers from Allen.

The biggest concern for the entire SD pass offense is that the Chargers may try to "slow the game down," "keep the ball out of Manning's hands," and "keep their defense off the field." If announcers are spouting those cliche's in the first quarter, it could mean trouble for the SD passing game.

That was what happened the first time they played, and it's my chief concern.

The biggest concern for the entire SD pass offense is that the Chargers may try to "slow the game down," "keep the ball out of Manning's hands," and "keep their defense off the field." If announcers are spouting those cliche's in the first quarter, it could mean trouble for the SD passing game.

:goodposting: That's just what I was going to say.

If I were the coach of SD, that would probably be my game-plan as well. About the only way I've seen success against these HUNH offenses that sling it 80% of the time is to have run oriented methodical drives. Pick up 4 yards on 1st and 2nd down, then convert on 3rd and 2, all the way down the field so it eats up 7-8 minutes. You see it in college a lot too, just like how SC beat Clemson a few weeks ago when they controlled the clock 40 minutes to Clemson's 20.

Users who are viewing this thread