What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (2 Viewers)

Next week... against the high scoring broncos and their pass rush... keenan allen finally puts up a great game... as rivers looks to slice and dice with short routes rather than lobs. 9-135-2...
I can buy 9/135 with one possible score, but two is hard to see. He's yet to score a TD
He's scored two TDs every single time he's faced the Broncos in Denver in his entire career.

Last edited by a moderator:
So odd that he has 0 TDs and the third most yards despite having 9 more targets than anyone else on the team.
The targets are there... 10 targets last week, which is 51 on the season while being a bit banged up. He could have a good game here. Decent but not great match-up, and they'll need to throw. He's due for a fudgin' touchdown, at the least.
I'm starting him over Roddy, not much confidence.

went to put him in but i guess cbs doesnt let you change players at 8:20. thought about calling the commish but didnt want to be that guy and i do have him in 2 other leagues. ugh.

Of course I benched him, but the good thing is that maybe this is a sign of things to come in terms of big time targets.

Something still seems wrong about him. Maybe it's his slow speed or flat patterns. Idk. I'd sell high if you can. One good game out of every 4 or so still isn't great. Rivers will target someone else next week and Allen's stats will suffer. I think he will help you lose more games then he helps you win. Just my opinion.

Something still seems wrong about him. Maybe it's his slow speed or flat patterns. Idk. I'd sell high if you can. One good game out of every 4 or so still isn't great. Rivers will target someone else next week and Allen's stats will suffer. I think he will help you lose more games then he helps you win. Just my opinion.
sorry but this is how he was last year. Hes not fast. Hes a great route runner. Think michael crabtree with better YAC

He'll get more TDs like that (screens) as long as teams stuff the run like Denver is right now. SD likes TEs and RBs in the redzone this seasom and the RB option isn't happening tonight.

His signature TD route last year was straight up the field, slant to the inside, and make a sliding catch in the endzone. Those have been Gates targets this season.

Not to say they can't use him in other ways in the redzone, but until Gates falls off 2013 Keenan Allen isn't back.

He'll get more TDs like that (screens) as long as teams stuff the run like Denver is right now. SD likes TEs and RBs in the redzone this seasom and the RB option isn't happening tonight.

His signature TD route last year was straight up the field, slant to the inside, and make a sliding catch in the endzone. Those have been Gates targets this season.

Not to say they can't use him in other ways in the redzone, but until Gates falls off 2013 Keenan Allen isn't back.
This

Next week... against the high scoring broncos and their pass rush... keenan allen finally puts up a great game... as rivers looks to slice and dice with short routes rather than lobs. 9-135-2...
I can buy 9/135 with one possible score, but two is hard to see. He's yet to score a TD
He's scored two TDs every single time he's faced the Broncos in Denver in his entire career.
Played Denver 3x last year. No scores in the first game, scored twice in the playoff game.

Played Denver 3x last year. No scores in the first game, scored twice in the playoff game.
Like I said.

Except -- Update: He did not score two TDs tonight. :kicksrock:

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen - WR - Chargers

Keenan Allen caught 9-of-13 targets for 73 yards and a touchdown in the Chargers' Week 8 loss to the Broncos.

The touchdown — as you may have heard — was Allen's first of the season. Allen could have had his second 10-catch night of the season, but committed a drop. He was also the target on one of Philip Rivers' two interceptions. Allen showed why he was so highly valued in summer drafts, putting on a clinic as a route runner against the Broncos' elite secondary. He'll enter San Diego's Week 9 trip to Miami the owner of a 43/427/1 line on 65 targets. There is WR2 hope still.

Oct 24 - 12:04 AM

Good to see. Don't regret benching him this week due to the fact he showed nothing till this game. This performance may put him in my lineups but I am still going to hedge my bets on this guy performing like this every week. Anyone who thinks otherwise would be foolish.

Like I said.

Except -- Update: He did not score two TDs tonight. :kicksrock:
Missed your "in" Denver. My apologies.

Good to see. Don't regret benching him this week due to the fact he showed nothing till this game. This performance may put him in my lineups but I am still going to hedge my bets on this guy performing like this every week. Anyone who thinks otherwise would be foolish.
True - any WR outside the very top is going to have variability.

The positive is that Rivers was locking into Keenan (and Gates), unlike recent weeks where Royal and Floyd were getting nearly as much attention from Rivers. Royal seems to doing his annual turn back into a pumpkin, while Floyd is good for a few big down-the-field plays, but that's about it.

Maybe it was a reflection of taking advantage of what the defense gave Rivers, or maybe Philip realizing that Allen is the guy he can rely on and needs to get the ball to him more. Hopefully the latter, but time will tell.

Overall, he didn't do too much different than in the previous games: just got a few more targets and converted a red zone chance. 10 YPR (he's got 43/427 heading into the bye) is going to make it tough for anyone to stick as a WR2 if they're not seeing Welker-in-New-England volume.

I'm encouraged by his performance, at least. Hopefully the bye will be beneficial.

His targets had been steadily increasing, but earlier in the season, the game scripts allowed Chargers to run the ball and not have to throw. That has changed the last two weeks with closer matchups. The run game (and pass pro) hasn't been great (o-line issues). This means lots of quick passes or catching Keenan as he sneaks across the field short. He also got alot of screens, including the touchdown.

It seems earlier in the season Eddie Royal was used a ton. Defenses had to adjust to that. Royal still looks pretty dang spry, and is a good part of the offense, but my guess is his targets have trailed off some (haven't looked tho).

I also think Keenan had tweaked his groin earlier in the season. He was getting good separation last night.

Deep passes/shot plays are clearly going to Malcolm Floyd or to Gates deep in the seam. That helps open up the underneath stuff for Keenan.

What I liked seeing last night were the 3rd down throws going to him, and except for when he slipped and Rivers was picked, he was very reliable. Also, he doesn't like to go down easily...loved the first catch where rather than going out of bounds, he turns upfield into Talib (I think) and gives him a little pop.

In Fantasy, TDs are very hard to predict, but generally on a good offense, if the targets and touches are there, they should come. I think last night was a good sign for more consistent production from Keenan.

His targets had been steadily increasing, but earlier in the season, the game scripts allowed Chargers to run the ball and not have to throw. That has changed the last two weeks with closer matchups. The run game (and pass pro) hasn't been great (o-line issues). This means lots of quick passes or catching Keenan as he sneaks across the field short. He also got alot of screens, including the touchdown.

It seems earlier in the season Eddie Royal was used a ton. Defenses had to adjust to that. Royal still looks pretty dang spry, and is a good part of the offense, but my guess is his targets have trailed off some (haven't looked tho).

I also think Keenan had tweaked his groin earlier in the season. He was getting good separation last night.

Deep passes/shot plays are clearly going to Malcolm Floyd or to Gates deep in the seam. That helps open up the underneath stuff for Keenan.

What I liked seeing last night were the 3rd down throws going to him, and except for when he slipped and Rivers was picked, he was very reliable. Also, he doesn't like to go down easily...loved the first catch where rather than going out of bounds, he turns upfield into Talib (I think) and gives him a little pop.

In Fantasy, TDs are very hard to predict, but generally on a good offense, if the targets and touches are there, they should come. I think last night was a good sign for more consistent production from Keenan.
I'm hoping for the same.

He better start doing more with his 13 targets. Keep putting up 74 yards and the looks will eventually go elsewhere.
He ran after the catch when he cold, I was worried about separation being his fault coming in, but he was covered really well by Talib and still got 9 catches. He is the underneath guy and Floyd and Royal go deep more often.

He better start doing more with his 13 targets. Keep putting up 74 yards and the looks will eventually go elsewhere.
He ran after the catch when he cold, I was worried about separation being his fault coming in, but he was covered really well by Talib and still got 9 catches. He is the underneath guy and Floyd and Royal go deep more often.
This history of guys who can only get open against good man coverage by cutting routes off and/or staying very shallow is pretty terrible (unless they're Wes Welker -- which Allen is not).

He's a good role player and a great zone buster, but he's not a long-term NFL #1.

Slo-mo the TD catch and the Denver DB's positioning looks ridiculous, like he's trying to keep Allen from running across the field. Allen's routes are too tight and his breaks are too sharp for DBs, he's healthy folks.

Only questions are usage questions. But those are big questions. Even the TD he did get was only possible because Denver has safeties that can tackle Gates @ the 3 yd line when he's going full steam.

I dropped him and this game pretty much confirms that decision. Yes, he caught a TD. Yes, he had a ton of targets. The issue is there is no pop to his game. He is a just a possession WR who will get you 40 to 60 yards a game with an occasional TD and that is his ceiling.This is not WR2 production. It is barely WR3.

I dropped him and this game pretty much confirms that decision. Yes, he caught a TD. Yes, he had a ton of targets. The issue is there is no pop to his game. He is a just a possession WR who will get you 40 to 60 yards a game with an occasional TD and that is his ceiling.This is not WR2 production. It is barely WR3.
Are you trying to convince yourself, or us?

He had five 100 yard games last year. I don't see how 40 to 60 can be called his ceiling.

This is laughable. Expect for the possession WR part which I do kind of agree with. Newsflash Golden Tate is also a possession WR and look at him now.

Figures he blows up after I benched him.
1 td and 79 yards? yeah, a regular hall of fame night
Man he lead the team in targets, rec, yards, and scored a td. What are you looking for? I get he's been disappointing and has a had a few stinkers but the future looks good.
Agreed. In PPR leagues, that 1 TD and 79 yards was pretty big.
Yeah 9 rec is way better than avg. I really am starting to think he was more hurt than they were saying with the groin injury. He looks Healthy now

Figures he blows up after I benched him.
1 td and 79 yards? yeah, a regular hall of fame night
My point exactly. In PPR he is maybe a WR2 on a good day. In 8 games in a standard league he has 6 single point games with none over 5 pts. This is WR2 level? Maybe in a 14 or 16 team leagues. How many games is he going to see 13 targets? His blazing 9.9 yards per catch does not bode well. He is on pace for 86 receptions and 850 yds and 2 TDs. That puts him in the Kendal Wright/Rod Streator bottom 20% of the top 50 WRs from last year. Sorry, that is not what I want on my team.

From the broadcast angle, it looked like he also was wide open across the middle headed for the goal line when Rivers tossed it up to Gates for his 2nd TD. Not "counting" it, but he's getting separation.

Even if this were all true (as others have already outlined, your ceiling for his yardage is laughable), you'd happily drop a guy you consider a WR3? What positions do you start and how shallow are your rosters?

He is on pace for 86 receptions and 850 yds and 2 TDs. That puts him in the Kendal Wright/Rod Streator bottom 20% of the top 50 WRs from last year. Sorry, that is not what I want on my team.
Realistically, the only thing that matters right now is what he does in weeks 9 - 16. You can average in his first 7 games and get horrible "on pace" stats if that helps you rationalize dropping him (if you did). But I'm inclined to bet that he picks up the pace in the second half of the season. It happens all the time.

Users who are viewing this thread