What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Keenan Allen, CHI (3 Viewers)

He is one of my favorites but I will pass- I don't draft injuries that early. That whole late 2nd/early 3rd WR range looks sketchy right now: Hilton, Keenan, Amari...maybe even AB depending how you rank him.

Keenan Allen (knee) was a limited participant at practice Wednesday.

This is likely just the Chargers' keeping their No. 1 receiver fresh after Allen saw 15 targets on Sunday, but we'll keep an eye on his practice report the rest of the week. Allen's usage is among the highest in the NFL, locking him as a WR1 this weekend against the Texans.

SOURCE: Chargers on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 6:40 PM ET

Keenan Allen caught 13-of-17 targets for 183 yards and two touchdowns in the Chargers' Week 3 loss to the Texans.

Allen was too good for stud Lions CB Darius Slay to handle in Week 2, so it wasn’t surprising to see the Texans’ under-qualified CBs (particularly Johnathan Joseph) continuously roasted Sunday afternoon. Both of his touchdowns came inside the 20-yard line, with his second score featuring some filthy after-the-catch ability. Allen continues to rack up targets and receptions as the undisputed No. 1 pass-game option in this offense. Overall, he joins 2015 Julio Jones, 2018 Adam Thielen, 2011 Wes Welker, 2018 Antonio Brown and 2015 Julian Edelman as the only players with at least 42 targets in Weeks 1-3 over the past 10 years. Allen is locked in as a top-five fantasy WR ahead of next week’s smash spot against the Dolphins.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:00 PM ET

Damn, he was a bit disappointing to own last year but he looks like a stud again now. He and Rivers have amazing chemistry. 

Currently the top non-QB scorer in most of my leagues through three weeks. On an unsustainable pace of 224 targets, though. 36% target share. Catch percentage is 69%, in line with career avg of 68.1%. Rivers on pace for 619 pass attempts. His career high is 661. Only 11 players have had over 190 targets since the stat began being tracked in 1992. 

Fantasy football stats to know from Week 3

Excerpt:

1. Keenan Allen currently leads all players in fantasy points scored. Through three weeks, he totals 87.7 fantasy points, 404 receiving yards, 43 targets, and 29 receptions. For perspective, those numbers rank: 12th, 15th, eighth, and seventh-best through the first three weeks of the season all-time.

Allen came into the week leading all players in volume (XFP), and pushed himself even farther ahead on Sunday. He saw a league-high 16 targets in Week 3, catching 13 for 183 yards and two scores. This was Allen’s fourth career game of 13 or more receptions, an accomplishment that trails only Wes Welker (five) and Antonio Brown (five) all-time. Allen’s league-leading 38% target share is bound to regress, and maybe he doesn’t finish the season with the most fantasy points at the position, but there’s little reason think he can’t finish top-five. Mike Williams seems to be the disappointment some of us thought he was, and with Hunter Henry out for most (if not all) of the season the Chargers have little recourse but to lean heavy on Allen.

When I watch him it just reminds me of the real shame in the NFL in how about 28-29 other teams can't seem to figure out how to use their best players.   Why in the world can't most elite players get this kind of attention?  We would routinely have 10 catch days and 200 yards receiving g or rushing and, heaven forbid, players who routinely scored a coup,e times a games like back in the day when fantasy studs were STUDS.  Nowadays, things called Will Dissly and Darren Waller and something Gabriel win ff games while all those concensus high draft picks get new posts I. Their own personal "what's wrong with xxxx" thread.   

Keenan Allen caught 2-of-6 targets for 33 yards in the Chargers' Week 6 loss to the Steelers.

The Steelers’ normally brutal defense against slot WRs utilized consistent double teams to get the job done on Allen Sunday night. Overall, Philip Rivers targeted Allen well behind each of Mike Williams (nine targets) and Hunter Henry (nine). Better days will be ahead for Allen, but this was the third consecutive game he failed to clear 50 yards and not find the end zone. Up next are the Titans in Week 7.

Last edited by a moderator:
Starting to get concerned about Allen's production.

While every WR has their slow spots, he never had single-digit fantasy points for three consecutive weeks during either 2018 or 2017.  Has always been a model of consistency even when teams have rolled extra coverage to him.

I don't think it's necessarily that he's lost a step - although eminently possible - but perhaps that with the emergence of Ekeler and Williams, coupled with the returns of Henry and Gordon, there are a lot of options for Rivers and he doesn't feel the need to force feed Keenan as much as in the past. 

ETA: That and the fact that Rivers has looked as bad as we've seen him.

Last edited by a moderator:

While every WR has their slow spots, he never had single-digit fantasy points for three consecutive weeks during either 2018 or 2017.  Has always been a model of consistency even when teams have rolled extra coverage to him.

I don't think it's necessarily that he's lost a step - although eminently possible - but perhaps that with the emergence of Ekeler and Williams, coupled with the returns of Henry and Gordon, there are a lot of options for Rivers and he doesn't feel the need to force feed Keenan as much as in the past. 

I certainly think Allen hasn't lost a step at all. He's actually looked faster this year than in previous years. The issue has been frequent double coverage, which may be helped by Henry's return and Williams being healthy. The biggest issue is simply Rivers hasn't had time, and that is the o-line, the playcallers, and Rivers himself. 

I'd still treat Allen as a top-5ish WR, I mean, even with his recent struggles, he's been quite a bit better than guys like Hopkins, Evans, Adams(before he went down) are other WR's who are all considered elite.

Feels like Im going to deal with this all year with my WRs.  (Adams, Allen, Chark, Ridley, McLaurin).  Whoever I bench will have a great day.  :ptts:

He got 50ish points 3 weeks ago, but he lost a step? Yeah not that.

Rivers shouldnt be a starting NFL QB and its embarrassing he got by by a 3rd stringer as Rivers throws incomplete laterals.

He is Eli on the West coast...funny they were traded for each other, one just has superbowls thanks to others.

Allen made Rivers look good for a few weeks, but if the guy with the ball isnt looking at you, what are you to do? 

6 weeks into the season, he's doing better than he did 6 weeks into 2018 or 2017.  He's generally been a slow season starter.  That said, Rivers isn't the same and the running game hasn't been helping him out any. 

Keenan Allen caught 4-of-11 targets for 61 yards in the Chargers' Week 7 loss to the Titans.

The 11 targets were nice, but Philip Rivers and Allen were just missing deep passes, and the catches he did come down with weren't easy. If those close misses were converted, Allen would've easily had 100-plus yards. The Chargers have been forced into comeback mode in three-straight games with early-game turnovers and below-average defense putting the Bolts in early-game trouble. More trouble may be coming next week when the Chargers head into Chicago with a matchup with the Bears. Allen's volume will keep him in the WR1/2 mix.

Oct 20, 2019, 7:56 PM ET

I didn't watch the game.  What is the malfunction?  Rivers to Allen used to be money.  
No time to throw on a most plays. Allen was probably open 90% of the game. 

Also, the Chargers would halt the offense, to get Gordon involved, even though he looks like he's running in quicksand with a piano on his back.

Rotoworld:

Keenan Allen was held out of Thursday's practice with a hamstring injury.

It's a new issue for Allen, who was not listed on Wednesday's report. The fact that he wasn't even "limited" is a very bad sign ahead of Sunday's road trip to Chicago. A "limited" day Friday would put Allen back on track to play, but fantasy players need to be making contingency plans. With Travis Benjamin recently joining Dontrelle Inman on injured reserve, the Bolts have extremely little receiver depth. Were Allen to sit, it would be a Hunter Henry/Austin Ekeler-type day in the Windy City.

SOURCE: Jeff Miller on Twitter

Oct 24, 2019, 5:28 PM ET

I gotta say, with all of the unique options and opportunities this weekend, and with Allen's production since Gordon and Henry have come back, it may not be the end of the FF world if he takes a week off.

Unless he practices full today I'll be hesitant to start Allen. I've had a run of bad luck where WRs (Dorset, Fuller) play one serious, get dinged, leave the game, then cost me a game.

Now flipping through the various waiver options that are D. Hamilton, Z. Pascal, D. Thomas, P. Williams, etc. 

Ugh.

Unless he practices full today I'll be hesitant to start Allen. I've had a run of bad luck where WRs (Dorset, Fuller) play one serious, get dinged, leave the game, then cost me a game.

Now flipping through the various waiver options that are D. Hamilton, Z. Pascal, D. Thomas, P. Williams, etc. 

Ugh.
Allen is the kind of guy though where missing a day of practice could be meaningless. Unless he is inactive, I'd certainly start him over any of those guys. If Allen does play, he's got a pretty sneaky great matchup against Buster Skrine, and an offense that can't stay on the field.

Keenan Allen (hamstring) wasn't spotted at the portion of practice open to the media Friday.

Allen is shaping up as a game-time decision at best for Sunday's matchup against the Bears. His absence would likely lead to 3-WR sets consisting of Mike Williams, Geremy Davis and Andre Patton. Both Davis and Patton would still be thin plays with Allen sidelined, as Philip Rivers already has three incredibly capable pass-catching talents at his disposal in Williams, Hunter Henry and Austin Ekeler.

SOURCE: Gilbert Manzano on Twitter.

Oct 25, 2019, 1:23 PM ET

@AdamSchefter

Chargers’ WR Keenan Allen wants to test his hamstring pre-game Sunday before making any decisions about whether he can play against the Bears, but he was not optimistic this weekend that he will be able to go against Chicago, per source.

@RapSheet

#Chargers WR Keenan Allen, who missed the final two practices of the week with a hamstring injury, is going to attempt to play today, source said. We’ll see how effective he is, but he’s giving it a go.

@RapSheet

#Chargers WR Keenan Allen, who missed the final two practices of the week with a hamstring injury, is going to attempt to play today, source said. We’ll see how effective he is, but he’s giving it a go. 
Gotta play him. I learned my lesson on week 3 with Chris Godwin. 

I was gonna bench him but instead sold him for Godwin.  

KA, Latavius, Crowder, Brady for Godwin, Gallman, Kirk, Darnold

dynasty league. I’m the Barkley owner. 

Benched earlier because of questions for McClaurin and today Chark.

Apparently limited means getting most of the targets.

Keenan Allen caught 3-of-4 targets for 40 yards in the Chargers' Week 9 win over the Packers.

It was another disappointing day for the Chargers' No. 1 wideout, who now has just 154 yards over his past three games, never clearing 61 in the process. Whereas he reached 10 targets in both Weeks 7 and 8, his four were six behind Hunter Henry for the team lead this afternoon. Fantasy owners have to keep shaking it off ahead of a gorgeous short-week matchup vs. the Raiders.

Nov 3, 2019, 8:06 PM ET

Rough for us Keenan owners - used to be a target monster -  now just seems to be too many options at Rivers’ disposal.

Users who are viewing this thread