What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

OFFICIAL Danny Amendola Injury and News Thread (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston says Danny Amendola's groin injury played a major role in his disappointing season.

Amendola tore his adductor longus tendon while catching 10 passes for 104 yards in Week 1. In the 11 games he was active for after that, he averaged 4.0 catches for 48.0 yards and scored two touchdowns. "It's important to remember how much pain he played through. Year 2 -- provided he's healthier -- should be better," wrote Field Yates. The Pats clearly thought Amendola was capable of much more as they gave him a five-year, $28 million contract with $10 million guaranteed last offseason. It remains to be seen if he will get the coveted slot role back in 2014 as free agent Julian Edelman gets set to test the market.

Source: ESPN Boston

Rotoworld:

Danny Amendola isn't expected to need offseason groin surgery.
Amendola tore his adductor longus tendon in the season opener, and it played a major role in his disappointing first season in New England. It's believed the injury can heal with rest, so that's the route Amendola and the Patriots will travel for now. Amendola signed a five-year deal last March.

Source: Mass Live

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe insists Danny Amendola's roster spot could be in danger.
Amendola inked a five-year, $28.5 million deal with the Patriots last March. It included $10 million guaranteed. $2 million of Amendola's $3 million base salary for 2014 becomes guaranteed if he's on the Patriots' roster come 4 PM ET on March 11. Beat writer Ben Volin thinks New England could designate Amendola as a post-June 1 cut and use the money saved to re-sign Julian Edelman.

Source: Boston Globe

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4991/danny-Amendola

Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei says Danny Amendola's name has been "floated" in trade talks.

Amendola posted a disappointing 54-633-2 line in 12 regular season games in 2013 and was an absolute non-factor in New England's AFC Championship loss to Denver. This report comes on the heels of one from the Boston Globe saying Amendola is a candidate for a post-June 1 cut, which would save the Patriots $1.375 million against the 2014 cap. The Pats signed Amendola to a five-year, $28.5 million deal only last March, but his future in New England is in serious doubt.

Mar 1 - 11:36 AM
Source: BleacherReport.com

Rotoworld:

The Boston Globe insists Danny Amendola's roster spot could be in danger.
Amendola inked a five-year, $28.5 million deal with the Patriots last March. It included $10 million guaranteed. $2 million of Amendola's $3 million base salary for 2014 becomes guaranteed if he's on the Patriots' roster come 4 PM ET on March 11. Beat writer Ben Volin thinks New England could designate Amendola as a post-June 1 cut and use the money saved to re-sign Julian Edelman.

From Rotoworld:

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4991/danny-Amendola

Bleacher Report's Dan Pompei says Danny Amendola's name has been "floated" in trade talks.

Amendola posted a disappointing 54-633-2 line in 12 regular season games in 2013 and was an absolute non-factor in New England's AFC Championship loss to Denver. This report comes on the heels of one from the Boston Globe saying Amendola is a candidate for a post-June 1 cut, which would save the Patriots $1.375 million against the 2014 cap. The Pats signed Amendola to a five-year, $28.5 million deal only last March, but his future in New England is in serious doubt.

Mar 1 - 11:36 AM
Source: BleacherReport.com
Can we please limit this thread to Amendola injuries only? As an owner, every time I see this thread bumped I assume he just had three fingers amputated. :)

Can we please limit this thread to Amendola injuries only? As an owner, every time I see this thread bumped I assume he just had three fingers amputated. :)
Despite the title this is the only thing that comes close to being any type of Official Amendola Thread (I did a search before posting). The alternative was to start a brand new thread, but then you have people #####ing about that - can't win around this place.

Last edited by a moderator:
Despite the title this is the only thing that comes close to being any type of Official Amendola Thread (I did a search before posting). The alternative was to start a brand new thread, but then you have people #####ing about that - can't win around this place.
Nah, I was just kidding. Though maybe we can get Phenix to add "(and other Amendola news)" to the title.

Nah, I was just kidding. Though maybe we can get Phenix to add "(and other Amendola news)" to the title.
:thumbup:

Rotoworld:

ESPN Boston says Danny Amendola "looked terrific in offseason camps, the preseason and the regular-season opener before significantly injuring his groin."
It's why we were surprised to read a report that Amendola's name has been floated in trade talks. The Patriots don't typically sell low on players, especially one year after prioritizing them over Wes Welker and Julian Edelman. Amendola's disappointing 54-633-2 line was almost certainly a result of his injury. If they cut or trade him, it would be a very quick 180 for Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels.

Rotoworld:

$2 million of Danny Amendola's $3 million base salary became guaranteed Tuesday.
Beat reporter Ben Volin points out that Amendola's deal does contain offsets, but adds that he now "likely stays." It's no surprise given how thin the Patriots are at wideout -- especially now that free agent Julian Edelman is out testing the market. Amendola was a brutal disappointment during his first year in New England, but slogged through a debilitating groin injury. It's always about health here, but Amendola will be a huge bounce-back candidate as a potential target monster from Tom Brady in 2014.

Source: Ben Volin on Twitter

So, uh, does Amendola 1. stay healthy for at least 13 games this year and 2. does he become a PPR star in the process?

On 1., I guess if the price is right, ie nice and very low, I guess it's worth it to find out if 2. comes to pass.

:scared:

So, uh, does Amendola 1. stay healthy for at least 13 games this year and 2. does he become a PPR star in the process?

On 1., I guess if the price is right, ie nice and very low, I guess it's worth it to find out if 2. comes to pass.

:shrug:

Lets look at it. He is a injury risk like no other, but having his upside if he is the slot guy in New England brings him instant WR2 status on what that position brings to fantasy stats alone. If they dont sign Edelman and they draft someone, Amendola is still talented enough to hold of the rook for at least a year.

Answer 1: He probably plays 12, I know that is a reach and Answer 2: His QB, upside, position, situation and team assures he will be a PPR beast. He is a talented and a pretty good receiver, his production is not the issue, his health is.

:shrug:

Lets look at it. He is a injury risk like no other, but having his upside if he is the slot guy in New England brings him instant WR2 status on what that position brings to fantasy stats alone. If they dont sign Edelman and they draft someone, Amendola is still talented enough to hold of the rook for at least a year.

Answer 1: He probably plays 12, I know that is a reach and Answer 2: His QB, upside, position, situation and team assures he will be a PPR beast. He is a talented and a pretty good receiver, his production is not the issue, his health is.
Let's wait to see who ends up on the Patriots. They could still bring back Edelman and other receiving options as well.

:thumbup:
When I saw the title of the thread, I thought it said "...Injury Isn't News Thread".

(Disclaimer: this guy <--------- is a long-suffering Amendola FFB owner)

The writing is on the wall for Amendola and he can be had for cheap.

The Patriots are expected to use more three-wide formations rather than "12" personnel this season.
Given the Patriots' roster, it's an easy decision. Rob Gronkowski is coming off an ACL tear, and only Michael Hoomanawanui/D.J. Williams sit behind him on the depth chart. But at wide receiver, there's plenty of talent in Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson and Danny Amendola. The Patriots are annually among the league leaders in shaping game plans around their strengths, not slamming a square peg into a round hole. Amendola and Dobson are going to have tons of opportunity this season.
Related: Julian Edelman, Aaron Dobson

May 22 - 9:31 AM

I say his name in three steps and it goes like this...

<Danny Amendola will play>

AMEN

<Amendola gets hurt in warmups>

DO...oo

<Amendola out for extended period of time>

LA...st time I draft this schmuck

He's filthy cheap right now. I avoided him last season at his seemingly ridiculous price (WR17-ish?) but he looked good when he wasn't decimated by injuries. Better than I expected. At WR47 right now, you can't pass him up. He's had some odd injuries - was it like a dislocated elbow? Either way, I like his injuries better than chronic ankle and hamstring issues. I'm flip flopping from last year. He went from over priced to under priced as far as I'm concerned. And if he'd stayed healthy last year, he might've been price just right for all I know.

I think he'll score more points than Edelman who is going WR24.

Rotoworld:

The Boston Glove expects the Patriots to move on from Danny Amendola after this season if he "doesn't produce big numbers."

The Globe considers "big numbers" 80 catches, 800-plus yards and a clean bill of health. Amendola didn't look like a guy capable of any of those things last year, but he had reasonable excuses in a severe groin injury and a lack of first-year chemistry in the Patriots' scheme. With the Patriots going to more three-wide sets this year and Rob Gronkowski's health status in doubt, there's at least a shred of hope for a bounce-back campaign. Amendola has no guaranteed money left in his contract after this season.

Jun 4 - 10:17 AM

Danny is looking like a champ again in OTAs, how long before he gets hurt?

If he can stay healthy since he is the most talented WR on the team, they will utilize him a lot.

Reporting from OTAs, ESPN Boston says Danny Amendola "once again looks like the player who caught the eye in these practices last year."

Amendola was an offseason star last year, but a serious Week 1 groin injury and downright poor on-field performance turned him into a bust. He's completely healthy now, penciled into three-wide sets and is still just 28 years old, so there's room for renewed optimism. If Amendola can somehow sustain health this year, he'll be well worth a late-round value pick. The Patriots don't want to Julian Edelman catching 105 passes again.

It's equally if not more likely Edelman could have a random injury. Atm you can get both reasonably, no reason not to.

Danny Amendola - WR - Patriots
Danny Amendola said his "learning curve" is much less as he enters his second season in New England.
"I feel very comfortable right now," Amendola said about learning the offense. Far more importantly, the slot man is healthy after a severe groin injury helped turn him into a free agent bust for the Patriots last season. Amendola will be behind Julian Edelman and Rob Gronkowski for targets this year, but his fantasy price-tag has dropped to the 10th round or later. He's still just 28 years old and the Patriots won't want Edelman catching 105 passes again.

Aug 1 - 9:41 AM

Jeff Howe - Boston Hearald, Patriots Beat Writer
Amendola only got open once on nine routes. By that time, Brady already hit Edelman for 12 yards.
@jeffphowe | | 3 m
xIjgoL3d_normal.png

Went through Pats-Vikings tape: Amendola was on the field for 9 of 23 pass plays. Didn't count a single time Brady should've targeted him.

Amendola only got open once on nine routes. By that time, Brady already hit Edelman for 12 yards.
@jeffphowe | | 3 m
xIjgoL3d_normal.png

Went through Pats-Vikings tape: Amendola was on the field for 9 of 23 pass plays. Didn't count a single time Brady should've targeted him.
He had a reception that went for like 20-30 yards. Called back on a holding penalty.

How in the world did get Amendola get to be so completely forgotten in NE?

(Dobson and KT too for that matter).

Edelman and LaFell are apparently the WRs these days? Then Gronk, then Vereen?

Chalk Amendola up for 100+ yards 15 receptions and a TD this sunday night

Gronk with 2 TD's

No catches since week 1.

Barely targeted since.

Not sure what the point even is of playing him, then. Why not let the young guys play, make their mistakes, and get better, rather than start a guy you aren't gonna use anyway.

No catches since week 1.

Barely targeted since.

Not sure what the point even is of playing him, then. Why not let the young guys play, make their mistakes, and get better, rather than start a guy you aren't gonna use anyway.
He's had several catches since week 1 - all have been negated by penalty.

They certainly need to get him more involved.

Yahoo is reporting that Aaron Dobson has not been playing cause he mouthed off to Josh McDaniels. If that is true, that is pathetic. McDaniels needs to get over his man-child behavior and realize the good of the team is more important than his pride being hurt by a WR yelling at him. Not like Dobson's presence is gonna make all the difference, but he is at least someone who can stretch the field (on plays where the line actually blocks).

Yahoo is reporting that Aaron Dobson has not been playing cause he mouthed off to Josh McDaniels. If that is true, that is pathetic. McDaniels needs to get over his man-child behavior and realize the good of the team is more important than his pride being hurt by a WR yelling at him. Not like Dobson's presence is gonna make all the difference, but he is at least someone who can stretch the field (on plays where the line actually blocks).
He adds very little to the offense, needs significant time to get open, time the offense doesn't have. And there's a 60% chance he stonehands it anyway.

Rotoworld:

Danny Amendola caught five passes for 48 yards and a touchdown in the Patriots' Super Bowl XLIX win over the Seahawks.

Highly active as the Patriots made liberal use of three-wide, shotgun formations, Amendola broke off the game's first big play on a 17-yard bubble screen. He added a four-yard touchdown catch in the fourth quarter. A healthy Amendola is an effective one, and he shined throughout the postseason on catch-and-run opportunities. Including playoffs, his stat lines over the Patriots' final five games were 8-63, 4-24, 5-81-2, 1-8, and 5-48-1. He could be a decent WR4 target in PPR leagues next season if the Patriots keep him. Going on age 30, Amendola is owed $4.5 million in 2015.

Feb 1 - 11:12 PM

He finally seems to be settling in...not worth the money they gave him (and it's not close) but he seems to be finding his niche...not sure what his contract numbers look going forward but he probably needs to restructure to stay...
He finally seems to be settling in...not worth the money they gave him (and it's not close) but he seems to be finding his niche...not sure what his contract numbers look going forward but he probably needs to restructure to stay...
2015 4m salary, 500k roster bonus. 3.6m dead cap to cut

salary increases by 1m each year, 500k roster bonus every year, dead cap drops 1.2m every year. UFA 2018. No more guaranteed money in the contract.

Looks like they might keep him this year

ETA LaFell costs about half and UFA 2017

Rotoworld:

Patriots re-signed WR Danny Amendola to a three-year, $12.75 million contract.

Amendola can still earn the full $15 million he was scheduled to make over the next three seasons, but the Pats essentially ripped up his old deal and handed him a new one. Amendola has had a frustrating two years in New England. He was limited by injuries in 2013, and barely played last season before finally emerging late in the year. The Pats could have a bigger role in mind for 2015.

Source: Field Yates on Twitter
Mar 12 - 12:38 PM

Rotoworld:

No Patriots receiver has caught more passes than Danny Amendola through the first week of training camp.

He's secured 26 catches, five more than Rob Gronkowski. It's worth noting that Julian Edelman missed several days of practice with an undisclosed injury, which could account for Amendola's increased workload. Amendola struggled to carve a role for himself during the regular season last year but came on strong in the playoffs with 11 catches for 137 yards. It would take an injury to Edelman or Brandon LaFell for Amendola to land on the fantasy radar.

Source: Boston Herald

Aug 9 - 9:35 AM

Thoughts on Amendola this year. Seems like Brady and Dola were clicking in the playoffs last year. With Wayne cut and LaFelle heading to the PUP, does he have some sneaky value? Will he be returning kicks as well this year??

Thoughts on Amendola this year. Seems like Brady and Dola were clicking in the playoffs last year. With Wayne cut and LaFelle heading to the PUP, does he have some sneaky value? Will he be returning kicks as well this year??
With the official news of Lafell missing 8 weeks, I've picked up Amendola in several leagues. Right now he's the WR2 by default and he's not even rostered in most leagues.

Amendola, Dobson and Chandler all on the radar.

Amendola is the most likely beneficiary, but it's anyone's guess how this will truly play out from a targets perspective.

Users who are viewing this thread