What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (4 Viewers)

Good morning good buddy. We are thinking the same things at the same time 
Morning, my friend. 

Is there anyway the Colts can get locked into a seed today?

Never mind - they're playing the Jags next week, who will put their whole team on COVID if they have to

Last edited by a moderator:
Morning, my friend. 

Is there anyway the Colts can get locked into a seed today?
No. They could still win the South or they could still miss the playoffs, even w a win today. 

If Titans lose to Green Bay today, they’re playing for their lives next week - maybe division rival Houston gives them a game but I doubt it. And the Colts get the Jags. We really need the Steelers to come through today. Kind of think they do though. Both Indy Tackles are out and that pass rush could give Rivers trouble. Also Steelers had a players meeting this week and I think are motivated to break the losing streak. We’ll see

No. They could still win the South or they could still miss the playoffs, even w a win today. 

If Titans lose to Green Bay today, they’re playing for their lives next week - maybe division rival Houston gives them a game but I doubt it. And the Colts get the Jags. We really need the Steelers to come through today. Kind of think they do though. Both Indy Tackles are out and that pass rush could give Rivers trouble. Also Steelers had a players meeting this week and I think are motivated to break the losing streak. We’ll see
:lol:  Yeah, see my edit above regarding the bolded.

OK, I guess I have to  :towelwave: today. :X

That's assuming Baltimore wins, of course.

Well, the Ravens made their own beds.

Honestly my only hope for the Ravens right now is that Cleveland goes into Week 17 favored to beat Pittsburgh and win the division, then loses the game to miss the playoffs entirely 

That seems like a very Browns thing to have happen

A minor note, it would take both a Colts win and a Titans loss tonight for the Bills to lock into the 2. That’s a disaster scenario as then they likely rest guys week 17 and the Dolphins get to keep the horseshoe up their butt.

A near-perfect 1st half; a sloppy, penalty-filled 2nd. A win's a win.

I was concerned for @The_Man's mental well-being in the game thread when Humphrey went down.

Ok, so I know: beat Cincy and they're in the tournament. If Baltimore loses, they need either the Colts or Browns to also lose to still get in - right?

What would you say about a QB who's had a 117.7 passer rating over the last 4 weeks, 3rd highest in the NFL, with his team in a must-win situation every week? What would you say if that QB was also 8th in the NFL in rushing yards during that stretch, and first in yards per carry? Most people would say he's a good QB. But not all.

Yes, the Ravens have been playing some weak defenses, but it's also been so great to watch Lamar play since coming back from Covid. At this point, I'd say his #1 career highlight is last year's spin and score run vs Cincy, but #2 is the 4th and 5 TD to Hollywood. And if this team goes deep into the playoffs, the legend of him running onto the field and making that pass will only grow.

Some other fun stuff - with 333 yards rushing in the last 4 games, he's moved from 21st to 14th on the all-time QB rushing list. In the Giants game, he passed his coach's brother, Jim Harbaugh on the list. Lamar did it in 104 fewer career starts. He's 65 yards from Kordell, and with one more 800 yard season he'll pass Elway, McNabb, McNair, and Tarkenton to reach #6 on all-time list. The Top 5 are the all-time great running QBs - Young, Russell Wilson, Randall, Cam and Vick.

So he's really an RB, right? Well, actually, among QBs with 900 career passing attempts, his 102.5 passer rating is #4 all-time behind only Mahomes, Watson and Rodgers. His 7.0% TD percentage is #1 all-time.

Pretty good for a kid who's still only 23.

Feeling good about the Bengals game. Cincy was Flacco's nightmare opponent, Marvin totally had his number. Lamar is 4-0 vs the Bengals, winning the last two 27-3 and 49-13. Steelers are sitting Ben, basically conceding to Cleveland. I think Buffalo will do the same vs. Miami. If the Fins and Browns win (and so do the Ravens), that pretty much locks us into the sixth seed and a return trip to Pittsburgh. I like that matchup - if Marcus Peters and Jimmy Smith are back.

How many 6 OL sets did the Ravens run last week? Even the announcers were laughing that Skura was announced as an eligible receiver on seemingly every other play :lol:

Boykin mystifies me. I can't understand why he isn't more involved.

The interior of the OL has gelled - somehow - over the last few weeks, and did a pretty good job against a good NYG front. What will they do with Tyre Phillips next year? Go double FB with Ricard?

Uruk-Hai said:
How many 6 OL sets did the Ravens run last week? Even the announcers were laughing that Skura was announced as an eligible receiver on seemingly every other play :lol:

Boykin mystifies me. I can't understand why he isn't more involved.

The interior of the OL has gelled - somehow - over the last few weeks, and did a pretty good job against a good NYG front. What will they do with Tyre Phillips next year? Go double FB with Ricard?
What's shocking to me is how well Orlando Brown has played at LT. I think they have found fixtures at LG with Bozeman and C with Mekari. Harbaugh loves Skura but he has struggled this year and snaps are getting to be a problem. Powers has stabilized things at RG but he seems like just a guy to me. I would love to make Phillips a mauler at RG - can you imagine him and OBJ running power to the right, with Nick Boyle and Ricard - especially since he seems blocked at Tackle behind OBJ and a healthy Stanley. Guessing he'll be the swing Tackle, but still would love to see him more at Guard.

Was thinking about how the Bengals with Dalton, AJ Green, and Marvin Lewis used to terrify me, so I looked up the records. For as good as the Ravens were during the 2010s and as bad as the Bengals were, Flacco had a career 9-11 record vs them as starting QB. Marvin really owned him - would play cover 2 and force Flacco to sustain long drives making throws into tight windows, which he couldn't consistently do. And it got worse in recent years:

Ravens starting QB records vs Bengals since winning Super Bowl 47
Lamar: 4-0
Flacco: 3-7
Mallett: 0-1

No wonder the Bengals always scared me - Ravens need a win Sunday just to get back to .500 vs Cincy since the Super Bowl. The good news is that the Bengals seem like Lamar's personal whipping boys

Looks like punter Sam Koch is going to miss the first game of his 15 year career Sunday. He's on the Covid list. Koch is also the only holder Justin Tucker's ever used as a pro.

Looks like punter Sam Koch is going to miss the first game of his 15 year career Sunday. He's on the Covid list. Koch is also the only holder Justin Tucker's ever used as a pro.
Too bad, but better now rather than later. I think he's not actually positive, just on the exposure list.

Meanwhile, Cincy just announced a DT is positive, and there are 10 potential close contacts. Could be a very depleted Bengals defense tomorrow. Hoping this game can be over by halftime, letting the walking wounded get some health back for the playoffs

My latest projection is that Miami having to play with Tua, ends up losing to a Buffalo team that plays its starters for the first half and builds enough of a lead that Dolphins can't come back vs the backups in the second half. Browns beat the Steelers JV, setting up a Ravens first round rematch with the Titans. I like that, I also like being the 5 seed in the new format, because it now gives us 2 chances for lower seeds (Colts at Bills, Browns at Steelers, in my prediction) to pull upsets and spare us a second round trip to KC.

To really get crazy, if - for example - the Ravens were able to win at Tennessee and Buffalo, with the Browns winning at Pittsburgh and KC, then the AFC Championship game would be in Baltimore. Don't think that will happen, obviously, but I do think the Browns would beat the Steelers in the playoffs (if they're over their Covid outbreak).

Are you kidding me?

Did you guys know this stat?

--------------------------------------------

Cincinnati Bengals@Bengals

We've won eight straight home regular season finales.

Let's make it nine!

-------------------------------------------

Watch out Ravens, lol.

Too bad, but better now rather than later. I think he's not actually positive, just on the exposure list.

Meanwhile, Cincy just announced a DT is positive, and there are 10 potential close contacts. Could be a very depleted Bengals defense tomorrow. Hoping this game can be over by halftime, letting the walking wounded get some health back for the playoffs

My latest projection is that Miami having to play with Tua, ends up losing to a Buffalo team that plays its starters for the first half and builds enough of a lead that Dolphins can't come back vs the backups in the second half. Browns beat the Steelers JV, setting up a Ravens first round rematch with the Titans. I like that, I also like being the 5 seed in the new format, because it now gives us 2 chances for lower seeds (Colts at Bills, Browns at Steelers, in my prediction) to pull upsets and spare us a second round trip to KC.

To really get crazy, if - for example - the Ravens were able to win at Tennessee and Buffalo, with the Browns winning at Pittsburgh and KC, then the AFC Championship game would be in Baltimore. Don't think that will happen, obviously, but I do think the Browns would beat the Steelers in the playoffs (if they're over their Covid outbreak).
Any update on the bolded? Haven’t seen anyone else added to their Covid list.

No one else added to the Bengals Covid list, but one starting CB is out with a concussion and now the other is inactive due to illness

Ravens have Proche a healthy scratch and Snead out with an ankle injury. Good day for Dez Bryant to shine, perhaps. I really like Duvernay on punt returns. With him handling all return duties, I look for the only 3 other active WRs (Boykin, Bryant, Brown) to get some opportunities. Really hope Ravens can get off to a hot start like last week vs the Giants and help Cincy lose interest. I'll say 31-13, Ravens and then a trip to Tennessee for a playoff rematch (in the primetime Saturday night slot, since I'm making predictions)

then a trip to Tennessee for a playoff rematch
Well, my friend - you got your wish (though not the time slot).

I think it has the makings of a great game.

The Titans are, I think, in Baltimore's head a little. Time for the Ravens to put up or shut up.

One decisive edge Baltimore has is at PK, which may make the difference in this one.

Uruk-Hai said:
Well, my friend - you got your wish (though not the time slot).

I think it has the makings of a great game.

The Titans are, I think, in Baltimore's head a little. Time for the Ravens to put up or shut up.

One decisive edge Baltimore has is at PK, which may make the difference in this one.
We'll see. Sorry to see the Ravens installed as 3.5-point favorites, which will fuel Titans' disrespect narrative

Haven't watched many of their games, so will have to dig in a little this week. But I like the Ravens' mindset going into this one, particularly after the OT loss earlier this season when the Titans were pretty disrespectful. I think a pure grudge match helps alleviate a lot of the Ravens' psychological pressure about needing to win a playoff game. This is personal, not about narrative. 

Lamar finished the season #9 in the NFL in rushing, which is pretty amazing. Over the last quarter of the season, he was 4th in passer rating, 7th in rushing yards, and 3rd in total TDs (9 passing, 3 rushing). 

Gonna be a nervous week. Actually love Sunday at 1 p.m. game slot, glad that worked out!

ESPN announces that Ravens-Titans broadcast will be a MEGACAST.

Monday Night Football crew will call the game on ESPN/ABC.

On ESPN2, analysts will break down film in real time. On ESPN+, the "NFL Live" gang will do analysis and analytics.

On Freeform there will be a "Watch party" with DJ Khaled

Will watch on ESPN, and record ESPN2 - which I will then either watch immediately after the Ravens win or delete immediately after they lose

ESPN announces that Ravens-Titans broadcast will be a MEGACAST.

Monday Night Football crew will call the game on ESPN/ABC.

On ESPN2, analysts will break down film in real time. On ESPN+, the "NFL Live" gang will do analysis and analytics.

On Freeform there will be a "Watch party" with DJ Khaled

Will watch on ESPN, and record ESPN2 - which I will then either watch immediately after the Ravens win or delete immediately after they lose
ABC will show it, though - right? Being lazy, I don't wanna have to song-and-dance with a streaming company.

Always love the commentary in this thread. Had to go looking for it this morning as it was buried a bit. Can I get some home town analysis from y'all today? Lamar Jackson remains dangerous running the football, but earlier this year the passing game looked diminished. Lately as @The_Man stated above Jackson has been much more efficient. Do you think that the Titans are in the Ravens' heads or just Lamar Jackson? Is it the Titans defense stepping up at the right time against the Ravens or is it Lamar stumbling? Do you think that the Ravens can stop Henry?

I'll hang up and listen. I really do appreciate the discussion here and the positive comments that you guys have here and in other threads as well.

Always love the commentary in this thread. Had to go looking for it this morning as it was buried a bit. Can I get some home town analysis from y'all today? Lamar Jackson remains dangerous running the football, but earlier this year the passing game looked diminished. Lately as @The_Man stated above Jackson has been much more efficient. Do you think that the Titans are in the Ravens' heads or just Lamar Jackson? Is it the Titans defense stepping up at the right time against the Ravens or is it Lamar stumbling? Do you think that the Ravens can stop Henry?

I'll hang up and listen. I really do appreciate the discussion here and the positive comments that you guys have here and in other threads as well.
I imagine @Uruk-Hai and @Cobbler1 and some of the other semi-regulars will start making their way here sometime this weekend. I'm still pulling together my thoughts but my preliminary lean is something like Ravens 34, Titans 23. The Titans D is bad and the Ravens O is on a historic roll again. The Baltimore D is getting healthy (particularly up front, still a bit banged up in the back end). Most of all, I think this team has something to prove vs the Titans and Henry. Last year they were looking ahead to KC and the AFC Championship game at home and got stung. This year, their mindset is the opposite - they are 100% focused on the Titans. The Ravens actually shut down Henry for 3 quarters in the regular season game, but with Calais Campbell and Brandon Williams out with injury, they wore down and he ran wild in the 4th Q/OT. 

Biggest concern on D is Peters getting burned repeatedly if/when the Ravens go to a single high Safety and move an 8th man down for run support. I'd rather they take their chances with their finally healthy front 7 vs Henry and not give up big plays over the top. Lose some battles to win the war. Offensively, the Titans do a great job vs the Ravens run game, Lamar and the RBs both. There are plays to be made to WRs outside the numbers and the WRs and Lamar are going to have to make some of them. I'm thinking Boykin and/or Dez, mostly. One big difference in the Ravens' run game from before is that Tennessee used to force Lamar to run up the middle instead of on the edge; the Ravens have made such runs a staple of their offense this year. And now they have speed to the outside at RB with Dobbins. 

Looking back over the season, I see UH predicted a 10-6 or 11-5 record and I predicted 11-5. Not bad! Here are the individual game predictions I found:

Texans (Ravens won 33-16)
Me: Ravens, 34-23   UH: Ravens, 27-13

Chiefs (KC won 34-20)
Me: Ravens, 33-14   UH: 26-25 (no team selected)

Bengals (Ravens won 27-3)
UH: Ravens, 27-17

Steelers (Steelers won 28-24)
Me: Steelers, 27-17   UH: Steelers, 23-15

Colts (Ravens won 24-10)
UH: Colts, 23-20

Cowboys (Ravens won 34-17)
Me: Ravens, 27-13

Browns (Ravens won 47-42)
Me: Browns, 27-23    UH: Browns, 34-27

Giants (Ravens won 27-13)
Me: Ravens 23-17    UH: Ravens, 23-16

Bengals (Ravens won 38-3)
Me: Ravens 31-13

I was 5-2 (I was wrong about the KC loss and the win at Cleveland)
UH went 4-2 (wrong about wins at Indy and Cleveland, he gets a pass on KC)

Shows that we are pretty realistic, if not slightly pessimistic. Between the 2 of us, the KC game was the only one they lost that either of us thought they would win.

I think the playoff game got into the coaches heads and they panicked. And Lamar, who's not dumb, could tell by the plays being sent in that they wanted to catch up to the Titans NOW. So, Jackson went into Superman mode. It didn't work.

The November game was bizarre. Baltimore, I thought, had some really strange play-calling sequences when they could have put the game away. Again, it seemed to me like the coaches got a little tight under the collar.

I think game is going under the total, with several long drives by both teams eating up clock. The kickers may well be the difference here.

@The_Man sums it up pretty well. The team contained Henry well even through the 4th. Something like 25 carries for 95 yards. And then fell apart in OT. Williams and Campbell didn’t play. Wolfe played his heart out but they just tired up front. I recall the Titans having a bunch of injuries that game too but we’ve gotten guys back and I think they’re still missing key pieces. We’ve gotten back the defensive tackles while they’re still missing Lewan and Clowney specifically. Their interior OL is banged up this week as well and while they may play if they’re compromised at all it could give an edge to our pretty good rotation of CC/Williams/Wolfe/emerging Madabuike. Very different from the first game this year.

The Titans somehow do a great job against our running game and I agree that they have weaknesses in the secondary but they coincide with Lamar’s weakness hitting outside targets. I think that’s a big part in why they’ve been a tough matchup- it’s not our game to take advantage of that. The zone Vrabel played in the playoff game kept a lot of eyes on Lamar and the running game and inaccuracy/drops prevented them from forcing any adjustments out of it. Simmons and Casey beat up our interior line too which hadn’t happened all year. Got stopped twice on 4th and 1. Hadn’t happened all year. Their te makes a 1 handed td grab, ours drops a pass leading to a pick. That’s soooo many points left on the field those 3 plays alone. They made the plays that we’d made all year last year.

Red zone is big too. In the losses Ravens went 2 tds, 4 fgs, 2 TOs on downs in 8 trips. Titans 5 tds 1 fg on 6 trips. I don’t think there’s a huge reason for that other than things happen in small samples. I believe the Titans fumbled twice down there too last game but got them both back. I think (hope!) that normalizes some this game.

My bottom line is that we are a better team than the team that lost week 11 and my sense is the Titans are not. Both very good offenses but our defense is better and should be able to force more stops. I like the score 34-20 Ravens.

Good win.

Hopefully, this changes THE NARRATIVE a little.

The defense was magnificent. Best game I've seen them play this year from a tackling perspective.

Next week's gonna be tough sledding, no matter who they draw. 

Good win.

Hopefully, this changes THE NARRATIVE a little.

The defense was magnificent. Best game I've seen them play this year from a tackling perspective.

Next week's gonna be tough sledding, no matter who they draw. 
That’s the D we’ve been waiting to see all year. Jimmy Smith a difference maker tho he was out at the end. Hope he’s ok. Judon and McPhee were amazing on the edge, DL was huge vs Henry. Easily the best game the 4-man pass rush has had this year 

Tannehill targeting WRs outside 

4/9, 41 yards, INT (18.5 passer rating)

Ravens cornerbacks when targeted as the nearest defender:

Marcus Peters
6 targets, 3 rec, 29 yards, INT

Marlon Humphrey
8 targets, 4 rec, 64 yards, TD

Jimmy Smith
0 targets on 16 coverage snaps

Put Smith on Kelce next week and zone on WRs

That’s the D we’ve been waiting to see all year. Jimmy Smith a difference maker tho he was out at the end. Hope he’s ok. Judon and McPhee were amazing on the edge, DL was huge vs Henry. Easily the best game the 4-man pass rush has had this year 
I don't recall Henry breaking a tackle. They stood him up on just about every run. It often took more than one guy to bring him down, but he stayed in the same place from the first hit until he was on the ground.

McPhee played by far his best game since his return, and maybe his best ever for the Ravens.

This should be a really interesting - and fun! - match Saturday night, 

More and more in awe of that defensive effort as I think about it. Henry had 0 rushing First Downs in the game.

The only RB ever to have fewer yards in a playoff game following a 2000-yard season than Henry's 40 yards was the Ravens' Jamal Lewis in 2003 with 35 yards vs .... the Titans. These teams have an amazing playoff history.

As far as I can tell, after the Titans went up 10-0 with 3 minutes left to play in the first quarter, they only had 5 First Downs and 103 yards of offense the entire rest of the game.

Underrated play of the game was Ravens facing third and nine at the end of the first quarter. Safety comes untouched on a blitz, Lamar escapes the pocket and with another rusher closing in on him hits Andrews for the first down on the sideline. Kept the drive alive at a time when the D needed a break, and ultimate led to a FG. We never saw a replay because the quarter ended, but it was a Mahomes-level QB play at a critical moment. Very few NFL QBs escape that rush and then still complete a third-and-long pass

One more stat I looked up:

Lamar has had >135 yds rushing in back-to-back playoff games. Only 9 other players in NFL history have done that. Terrell Davis had 4 straight, Riggins had 3 straight.

When it comes to just 100 yards rushing, only 8 players ever have had a streak of 3 or more playoff games. 7 are in the Hall of Fame

T Davis (7)
Riggins (6)
Thurman Thomas (4)
Arian Foster (3)
Emmitt Smith (3)
Marcus Allen (3)
Franco Harris (3)
Csonka (3)

More and more in awe of that defensive effort as I think about it. Henry had 0 rushing First Downs in the game.

The only RB ever to have fewer yards in a playoff game following a 2000-yard season than Henry's 40 yards was the Ravens' Jamal Lewis in 2003 with 35 yards vs .... the Titans. These teams have an amazing playoff history.

As far as I can tell, after the Titans went up 10-0 with 3 minutes left to play in the first quarter, they only had 5 First Downs and 103 yards of offense the entire rest of the game.

Underrated play of the game was Ravens facing third and nine at the end of the first quarter. Safety comes untouched on a blitz, Lamar escapes the pocket and with another rusher closing in on him hits Andrews for the first down on the sideline. Kept the drive alive at a time when the D needed a break, and ultimate led to a FG. We never saw a replay because the quarter ended, but it was a Mahomes-level QB play at a critical moment. Very few NFL QBs escape that rush and then still complete a third-and-long pass
We’ve been borderline screaming it the past few weeks that the defensive line had the potential to dominate up front when they were healthy and in form and they were that on Sunday. The LBs and safeties in coverage are by far our biggest weakness. The overall effort was incredible though. 

That play by Lamar was huge. I believe it was Adoree Jackson on the blitz there. Not a safety and not much of a tackler but an elite athlete and Lamar got away from him. Side note on Adoree- he appeared to have an angle on Lamar’s td run but Lamar outran it. And Adoree is a top notch speedster. Takeaway- Lamar is silly fast.

I think we match up well with the Bills...

Mr. Peterson said:
Really wish Pitt would’ve won...  

But Edmunds, Milano, someone, needs to put a hit so hard on Jackson early that he thinks twice about running with the ball. 
Raven’s worry me.  Not cause they’rea better team, but you never know what Jackson is gonna do with his backyard garbage play. 

Mr. Peterson said:
Really wish Pitt would’ve won...  

But Edmunds, Milano, someone, needs to put a hit so hard on Jackson early that he thinks twice about running with the ball. 
Raven’s worry me.  Not cause they’rea better team, but you never know what Jackson is gonna do with his backyard garbage play. 
Hah saw it. Unfortunate if that’s how he sees a special talent like Lamar and really a very interesting offensive scheme to follow overall. If you substitute the word junk for garbage it maybe isn’t as ugly a quote. And at least one fan in there disputed that quote and overall they seem cool. I do like the one as well whose already setting the stage to complain about the refs letting us be too physical.

Hah saw it. Unfortunate if that’s how he sees a special talent like Lamar and really a very interesting offensive scheme to follow overall. If you substitute the word junk for garbage it maybe isn’t as ugly a quote. And at least one fan in there disputed that quote and overall they seem cool. I do like the one as well whose already setting the stage to complain about the refs letting us be too physical.
Allen took a lot more hard hits in the Wild Card game than Lamar. And the Titans game was one where he took a couple more good shots than he usually does. The guy is 20th in the NFL in rushing attempts over the last 2 seasons - he has more than Devin Singletary - I don't think he's going to be dissuaded from running the ball by a couple of tackles.

Allen took a lot more hard hits in the Wild Card game than Lamar. And the Titans game was one where he took a couple more good shots than he usually does. The guy is 20th in the NFL in rushing attempts over the last 2 seasons - he has more than Devin Singletary - I don't think he's going to be dissuaded from running the ball by a couple of tackles.
Maybe this is what he is referring to, an observation that how the game is called will benefit one team or the other. If that is interpreted as “setting the stage to complain” I guess that is one way to look at it 🤯

I think more holding calls help the Bills but I am open to hearing the opposing argument.

“Feels like this will come down to how the game is called. If they “let them play” our WRs will struggle to get open against their man coverage and that will also help Bal run the ball (if holding is not called). I think if there are more than 2.5 holding calls Bills win.”

Maybe this is what he is referring to, an observation that how the game is called will benefit one team or the other. If that is interpreted as “setting the stage to complain” I guess that is one way to look at it 🤯

I think more holding calls help the Bills but I am open to hearing the opposing argument.

“Feels like this will come down to how the game is called. If they “let them play” our WRs will struggle to get open against their man coverage and that will also help Bal run the ball (if holding is not called). I think if there are more than 2.5 holding calls Bills win.”
Baltimore's DBs seem to have a reputation of being "handsy". I have no clue if that manifests itself in more penalties called for defensive holding or DPI. I'm guessing that number vs league-average is out there on the internet, but I don't feel like looking it up. 

It doesn't seem to me that the OL gets many holding penalties. I'm not a blind homer, and I don't see many obvious holds by the OL not being called in comparison to other teams.

You’re talking about holding penalties before the teams even take the field. You don’t think that’s setting the stage for it to be a topic of conversation after the game? And in a negative light from your perspective if the Ravens win and holding penalties happen to be under that arbitrary 2.5? We’re going to blitz a lot I imagine like last year so your line will have plenty of opportunities to hold too and as mentioned my perception also is that we don’t get called for a lot of holds running the football. And I wish our LBs and safeties could stay close enough in coverage to hold someone!

Eric Wood, former Olineman and radio personality for the Bills has said many times that holding gets called more on running plays than passing plays. I have not researched this. 
If true, I was making the simple assumption that IF it gets called more on runs and IF Bal runs more than Buf, then Bal in theory would benefit more if the game is more loosely called, which it usually is in the playoffs. 

It looks like Buf lead the league in offensive holding calls so that blows up that whole argument 🤣

You’re talking about holding penalties before the teams even take the field. You don’t think that’s setting the stage for it to be a topic of conversation after the game? And in a negative light from your perspective if the Ravens win and holding penalties happen to be under that arbitrary 2.5? We’re going to blitz a lot I imagine like last year so your line will have plenty of opportunities to hold too and as mentioned my perception also is that we don’t get called for a lot of holds running the football. And I wish our LBs and safeties could stay close enough in coverage to hold someone!
Fair enough. I am willing to change my mind when presented with new info 🤐

Eric Wood, former Olineman and radio personality for the Bills has said many times that holding gets called more on running plays than passing plays. I have not researched this. 
If true, I was making the simple assumption that IF it gets called more on runs and IF Bal runs more than Buf, then Bal in theory would benefit more if the game is more loosely called, which it usually is in the playoffs. 

It looks like Buf lead the league in offensive holding calls so that blows up that whole argument 🤣
Haha. Good info thanks for posting. I expect any well coached team to push the limits on what is being called. From what I’ve seen this year Allen has had incredible amounts of time to throw so if that is a product of your line being good at pushing the limits it’s certainly been a great benefit overall despite leading the league in holding. It should be a great game.

Anxiously keeping my eye on the Orchard Park, NY, 10-day forecast. Looks like about a one-third chance of snow showers during the game, I don't think it will be a big issue. Wind also looks manageable. 

I hate to say this but I'm actually starting to feel a little bit .... good about this game? Understand that by "good" I mean the Ravens will have a fighting chance to pull off a close win.

I don't think people fully appreciate what the Ravens' run game has been doing since the team came back post-Covid. Everyone just looks at the offense and says, yeah, the Ravens continue to be a great run team. What they've been doing post-Covid is otherworldly. 

Over the last 6 games, they have averaged 262 yards rushing per game. That projects to 4,194 yards for a full season. Last year when they broke the 40-year-old rushing record, they ran for 3,296 yards (206 per game). They're now besting that by 27%! Their best 6-game streak last year (Weeks 7-12) was 226 ypg. Meanwhile Buffalo's run D is suspect.

That being said, the Bills did a nice job vs the Ravens run game last year, holding them to their lowest total of the season (118 yards). Roman is going to need a solution to whatever they did last year.

Defensively, we saw the difference that Campbell and Williams make on the D Line, as well as Smith in the secondary. Did you know that after the Titans' TD drive, AJ Brown was held to 3 catches for 31 yards over the game's final 50 minutes? And this is despite the running threat posed by Henry. Allen definitely struggled a bit in the second half last week when Indy switched to zone coverage. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Ravens put Marlon on Beasley man-to-man in the slot, with zone on Diggs whichever side he lines up on. The Titans hit a TE for a big gain on a crossing route, and we know the Ravens are definitely susceptible to those again with the way their LBs struggle in coverage, so that's something to watch for. I think the D Line can control Buffalo's run game and be disciplined about keeping Allen in the pocket. As good as he is there, he seems even more deadly throwing (or running) when he breaks contain. 

Finally, I trust Wink to make the necessary in-game adjustments. He is so smart and now that the D is healthy, they are multiple enough to do whatever he wants. Against the Titans, they went big up front with Ward and the rookie ILB Harrison getting lots of snaps. I could honestly see Harrison being inactive this week as Board (who I guess is their best coverage ILB) gets tons of playing time. Kearse, the oversized Safety they just signed, might even be in there as a hybrid LB/Safety - I really think the Ravens are going to play pass first and dare the Bills to beat them running.

Anyway, too soon to make a prediction but starting to get a little hyped. How long til kickoff?

Shorter version of above post:

In 6 games since Lamar’s return from Covid, Ravens are rushing for 262 yds/game. That prorates to 4,194 yds for a full season, 27% better than last year when they broke a 40-year-old record with 3,296 yards (206 yds/game)

Ravens best 6-game rushing stretch at any point in 2019 was Weeks 7-12 when they went for 226/game. Even if you throw out 404 yds vs Cincy they’d still be at 234/game during this stretch

Ravens have rushed for at least 235 yards in 3 straight games, just the second team since 1976 to do that (along with 49ers in 1998). On Saturday, they'll try to match 1949 Eagles as the only teams to do it in 4 straight games

Side note: For all-time QB postseason rushing, Lamar is now 8th with 333 (in 3 games) ahead of Montana (314 in 23 games), behind McNair (355 in 10 games). Seems strange McNair only ever had 10 postseason games.

Looking forward to what should be a fun game this weekend. Total tossup in my mind. I really don’t know how Buffalo can possibly stop Lamar on the ground and the passing game to the TEs. Those are both areas the Bills have struggled a bunch with and both strengths for Baltimore.

On the other side of the ball, I do expect Baltimore to play 2 deep safety a bunch like Indy did and try to dare the Bills to run the ball. But honestly, the way Allen and the receivers have been playing, I don’t think that Baltimore will be able to shut Allen and the passing game down. Daboll has done a great job of giving Allen options no matter what the defense does, the receivers are fantastic both at beating man coverage and finding holes in the zones, and Allen truly understands what is happening on each play and knows where his open guys are going to be. He understand the offense and even when things don’t unfold like he expects he (much like Lamar) can make plays out of structure and (maybe unlike Lamar), has the WRs who see it and make the same adjustments.

Seeing Baltimore’s injury report the last couple of days, is there any concern some of those guys actually miss the game? I know Judon and Peters were both listed as Limited for yesterday’s simulated walkthrough and both did not participate at all today. If those guys are hobbled or miss the game it seems like it could definitely hamper the defense.

Looking forward to what should be a fun game this weekend. Total tossup in my mind. I really don’t know how Buffalo can possibly stop Lamar on the ground and the passing game to the TEs. Those are both areas the Bills have struggled a bunch with and both strengths for Baltimore.

On the other side of the ball, I do expect Baltimore to play 2 deep safety a bunch like Indy did and try to dare the Bills to run the ball. But honestly, the way Allen and the receivers have been playing, I don’t think that Baltimore will be able to shut Allen and the passing game down. Daboll has done a great job of giving Allen options no matter what the defense does, the receivers are fantastic both at beating man coverage and finding holes in the zones, and Allen truly understands what is happening on each play and knows where his open guys are going to be. He understand the offense and even when things don’t unfold like he expects he (much like Lamar) can make plays out of structure and (maybe unlike Lamar), has the WRs who see it and make the same adjustments.

Seeing Baltimore’s injury report the last couple of days, is there any concern some of those guys actually miss the game? I know Judon and Peters were both listed as Limited for yesterday’s simulated walkthrough and both did not participate at all today. If those guys are hobbled or miss the game it seems like it could definitely hamper the defense.
Very little concern at the moment that they’ll actually miss the game. DJ Fluker has been playing really well but his knee has been a big nagging issue for him causing him to split reps with Phillips. He’s gutting through it but is actually hurting pretty badly I think. I strongly suspect Judon and Peters are fine.

Well with Judon we know the illness can't be Covid since he (like half the team) has already had it, Lol. So hoping it's not too bad and that they might be keeping away from practice to get better and not infect anyone else. Don't know how Peters can be on the Injury List now - he was last seen looking very healthy as he intercepted a pass then danced on the Titans' logo 

60 hours til game time.

Right now, the weather's calling for 30s, snow showers, and winds WSW around 15 mph. That doesn't seem horrible to me, or a disadvantage for either team.

CB Marcus Peters (back) and T D.J. Fluker (knee) are QUESTIONABLE. They were both limited in practice today. Peters' first day on the field was today. OLB Matthew Judon who was ill Tues-Wed, practiced in full today.

Harbaugh says he anticipates Peters being ready for the game. I hope Fluker can go too - gives me a lot more confidence than Phillips, even as they rotate series 

Users who are viewing this thread