Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread*****

In the weekly Coordinators' press conference Wednesday, Greg Roman said something really interesting when asked about the recent success of his play calling: "Part of the early and mid part of the season was seeing how people were playing us, running some things against those things and seeing how it would end up. And gathering information for, you know, playing the long game. That factors into our success, and into our evolution."

Fans speculate from time to time that teams are holding things back for use at key moments later in the season, and I thought it was interesting to hear Roman affirm that he was at times calling plays essentially as experimentation. Maybe during this recent streak, we're seeing the results of that experimentation. At the very least, I'm not hearing the narrative that the Ravens' offensive success stems from opponents' unfamiliarity and that they get shut down the second time a defense gets to look at them.

I mean there has to be some reason they're rushing for 262 yards/game since Lamar's return.

I've already made this comment elsewhere and won't belabor the point, but since Lamar's return.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was born in 1962. For just about my entire adolescence, every team I rooted for (Os, Colts, Bullets, MD hoops) were good-to-great damned near every season. The Orioles held on until the mid-80s, the

I've been a season ticket holder since season 1, have two tickets in the lower bowl goal line.  As I've gotten older I've become much less tolerant of sitting out in the cold, particularly if it's rai

Boy, I really hope they both stay. Of the 2, my guess is they'd be more likely to lose Roman. Martindale doesn't fit the mold of the polished, media-savvy corporate head coach. He seems like a former

1 hour ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Jeff Z over at the Athletic picked Buffalo 27, Baltimore 24

As long as the weather is reasonable, I would be very surprised if Baltimore is held to 24 points in this game. I don't think the Buffalo D matches up all that well vs the Ravens' offense 

15 hours ago, The_Man said:

As long as the weather is reasonable, I would be very surprised if Baltimore is held to 24 points in this game. I don't think the Buffalo D matches up all that well vs the Ravens' offense 

Weather looks like no snow, mid-30s, and breezy for tonight's game.

52 minutes ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Weather looks like no snow, mid-30s, and breezy for tonight's game.

Yeah, not terrible. A little less windy than last year's regular season game where the wind was somewhat of a factor but not overwhelmingly. I think tonight's conditions play in Allen's favor a little, as he has that Flacco-like ability to blast a ball through lighter winds, whereas Lamar is susceptible to some fluttering. But doesn't seem like the weather will be determinative, which is all I was hoping for.

I guess I will go with a pick of Ravens 31-27 that's a white-knuckle ride to the finish with a chance for the Bills to win on a final drive that gets inside the red zone. Ravens blitz far less than usual, using exotic schemes to try to confuse Allen and generate pressure, but still using 4-man rushes more than 5 and 6. With Humphrey drawing Beasley man-to-man in the slot, I could see some well-timed CB blitz from him as Bowser or even Campbell drops into zone coverage from the DL. The Bills play nickel like 90% of the time, so maybe it's a big game for Gus Edwards as the Ravens try to muscle up with inside power running. My 2 X factor Ravens are Ngakoue and Mark Andrews, who has been kind of MIA lately.

Going to be a long 11 hours until kickoff 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Yeah, not terrible. A little less windy than last year's regular season game where the wind was somewhat of a factor but not overwhelmingly. I think tonight's conditions play in Allen's favor a little, as he has that Flacco-like ability to blast a ball through lighter winds, whereas Lamar is susceptible to some fluttering. But doesn't seem like the weather will be determinative, which is all I was hoping for.

I guess I will go with a pick of Ravens 31-27 that's a white-knuckle ride to the finish with a chance for the Bills to win on a final drive that gets inside the red zone. Ravens blitz far less than usual, using exotic schemes to try to confuse Allen and generate pressure, but still using 4-man rushes more than 5 and 6. With Humphrey drawing Beasley man-to-man in the slot, I could see some well-timed CB blitz from him as Bowser or even Campbell drops into zone coverage from the DL. The Bills play nickel like 90% of the time, so maybe it's a big game for Gus Edwards as the Ravens try to muscle up with inside power running. My 2 X factor Ravens are Ngakoue and Mark Andrews, who has been kind of MIA lately.

Going to be a long 11 hours until kickoff 

:lol: Yeah, I'm already working on timing out my nap.

As for a prediction, I'm going a little lower than you and with a different winner. I'm thinking 23-20 Buffalo. Just feels like their game to me.

I read something the other day about Stefon Diggs' mother meeting Ozzie Newsome at a pro workout for Stefon's little brother. She went up to Ozzie and said "they should fire your ### for not picking Stefon!". :lmao: Given Baltimore's issues with drafted WRs, how good a fit would THAT guy be on this team?

• Like 2

I’ll go 27-23 Ravens. Bills are a fantastic team and I’ll be rooting for them if they prevail. Probably comes down to turnovers. I do think we blitz a decent amount and hopefully can contain Allen particularly to his right. Misdirection/screens/anything that puts our LBs in coverage worries me almost as much as their stellar receivers. May as well blitz them if they’re not gonna cover anyone anyways! Read somewhere on the internet, so it must be true, that home favorites of 3 or less are 6-12 in the playoffs and 4-14 ATS. 

• Like 2

I think the Bills sell out like crazy to stop the run which sets up some nice passing prop value for Bal, probably their TEs as that is the weakest part of the Bills pass D. 

I can see Beasley and Knox having good days as I think Bal will contain Diggs and Brown while blitzing, forcing Allen to consistently beat the blitz in short 5-8 yard chunks. 

Coin flip. Good Luck!

Edited by The Duff Man
  • Like 2
6 minutes ago, The Duff Man said:

I think the Bills sell out like crazy to stop the run which sets up some nice passing prop value for Bal, probably their TEs as that is the weakest part of the Bills pass D. 

I can see Beasley and Knox having good days as I think Bal will contain Diggs and Brown while blitzing, forcing Allen to consistently beat the blitz in short 5-8 yard chunks. 

Coin flip. Good Luck!

Good luck man!

I hate that your season ended on a Lamar Jackson injury. Hopefully it’s not a bad concussion and they don’t become a long term issue. He really is an unbelievable weapon. The Ravens need to find themselves a better center maybe and some receivers that win more often too. The Ravens injuries at LT definitely hurt them tonight. Don’t think this will be the last time these two teams with these two young QBs meet in the playoffs.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

Well, that was disappointing. I thought the Bills would win, but I also thought Baltimore would show better than they did.

@The_Man & @Cobbler1 , you guys ok?

Ehh. Hanging in there. Would have been fine losing to the Bills. They’re a fun team and very likable. Their followers here are 99% cool. But losing while playing terribly leaves a more hollow feeling. How you doing?

Can’t win em all

D was spectacular. O was so disappointing. And the wind did F up the game which I was afraid would happen 

The Ravens’ approach to the salary cap has always been to cheap out at Center and Guard (other than Yanda) but it’s time to invest 

20 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Ehh. Hanging in there. Would have been fine losing to the Bills. They’re a fun team and very likable. Their followers here are 99% cool. But losing while playing terribly leaves a more hollow feeling. How you doing?

I'm good. I don't live-and-die by sports contest results like I used to. It's too exhausting for my old ### these days. I'm still involved during the games, but don't get the hangovers anymore.

I wish it was a better game, though.

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, The_Man said:

Can’t win em all

D was spectacular. O was so disappointing. And the wind did F up the game which I was afraid would happen 

The Ravens’ approach to the salary cap has always been to cheap out at Center and Guard (other than Yanda) but it’s time to invest 

Yeah, they smoke-and-mirrored the OL much better this season than I thought they could - especially after Stanley got hurt. But the chickens came home to roost last night.

The wind did mess with the game, but it hurt Buffalo too. Allen had some balls sail on him and their K missed two attempts.

Ravens made 5 trips inside the Bills' 30 yard line and got 3 points. Wind, snow, hurricane, mudslide, whatever - that ain't gonna do it against anyone.

My to-do list (in no particular order):

- As @The_Man said above, stabilize the interior OL. They should have Stanley back at LT and Little Zeus at RT (though I thought he played better at LT). And find a C who can snap the damned ball.

- I think the next two big names they have to make contract decisions on coming off rookie deals are Andrews & Brown. I'm guessing Brown is gonna want LT money. Then comes Lamar......

- They've got to figure out something in the passing game. Teams are just flat-out ignoring the threat now. They somehow have to get a studly WR. I think Hollywood Brown is close to his ceiling - which is fine, but he's not a #1.

- I don't think they have any OLBs under contract next year. I think I'd re-sign Judon and let the others go unless they can be retained fairly cheaply. In any case, they have to do something here.

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Bracie Smathers said:

You could kind of see this coming when he played so well in Stanley's absence. And he's said in the past that he wanted to play LT because his father did. I was hoping that, if the Ravens paid him like a LT, he'd be content. But, if it's a pride/ego thing too, then I don't see any way around him leaving.

Apparently the Ravens have given him permission to seek a trade. They'll want hefty compensation, though.

5 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

You could kind of see this coming when he played so well in Stanley's absence. And he's said in the past that he wanted to play LT because his father did. I was hoping that, if the Ravens paid him like a LT, he'd be content. But, if it's a pride/ego thing too, then I don't see any way around him leaving.

Apparently the Ravens have given him permission to seek a trade. They'll want hefty compensation, though.

Yeah not gonna just give him away. I’ve seen the Chargers and Jags speculated. Otherwise, he’s gonna have to play and deal with it for a couple years. There’s no leverage to sit out.

6 hours ago, Uruk-Hai said:

I don't think the Ravens have any intent (or flexibility) to pay him as a LT, not with that huge deal they gave Stanley.

46 minutes ago, Cobbler1 said:

Yeah not gonna just give him away. I’ve seen the Chargers and Jags speculated. Otherwise, he’s gonna have to play and deal with it for a couple years. There’s no leverage to sit out.

2021 is the last year of his deal unless they want to franchise tag him. You don't want to deal with disgruntled players, I think if they get something pretty good for him he's gone. Sucks because they need more not fewer O-linemen.

3 hours ago, humpback said:

I don't think the Ravens have any intent (or flexibility) to pay him as a LT, not with that huge deal they gave Stanley.

2021 is the last year of his deal unless they want to franchise tag him. You don't want to deal with disgruntled players, I think if they get something pretty good for him he's gone. Sucks because they need more not fewer O-linemen.

I mean there’s always the slim chance he goes the AB route and acts like enough of a psycho to get himself cut but in all likelihood he will pipe down and play. He has no leverage to sit out and makes the most future money by being a good solider, playing, and playing well. Money generally wins in the end. And the Ravens won’t hesitate to play him this year under contract and then franchise him if that’s what’s best for the team.

I’m sure they will explore a trade though. It made sense to do so even before Brown started talking. If they can land a top half of the first round pick for him and possible get a Waddle or Pitts type that’s a good move. And it would free up future $$$ to throw at EDGE and OL in free agency. With him they would have an elite line. Without him the line is still probably better than the line that ended last year. Stanley returns as upgrade to Brown, I’d expect them to draft/sign some interior OL or even signing a vet RT and letting Phillips slide inside to guard full time is probably a big boost.