What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****Official Baltimore Ravens Thread***** (1 Viewer)

I'm concerned about the math on how many WRs they keep. I read an article the other day that speculated on 7, but that was before the Houston signing. If it's 6, that means either Boykin or Proche goes (Watkins, Brown, Bateman, Wallace, Duvernay are givens). Boykins is a good blocker, but there's some kind of disconnect between he & Jackson. I like Proche a lot as a return guy and think he has some potential as an offensive piece - I dunno, maybe he & Duvernay are too much of the same thing.

Given good health and if Queen becomes more consistent, I think the defense will be among the best Baltimore has had under Harbaugh.

I'm with you on Jackson - dude, do what you have to to stop catching that ####; you, too, Gus. 
Yeah I think that WR, OL, and DB will have some good depth pieces battling for roster spots. I think they got a 5th from NE for a bubble OL a couple years ago? Maybe there will be a market for some of the depth again. I wonder if Boykin could bulk up and be a Waller esque move TE. 

Yup it’s exciting. The LBs and safeties will take some steps forward in coverage but otherwise the defense looks really good again. The offense is shaping up to be improved from last year too. Maybe even on the level of 2019. Seems Bateman has been getting good reviews too. Just gotta keep Lamar from licking toilet seats and getting Covid a 3rd time 
I'm concerned about the math on how many WRs they keep. I read an article the other day that speculated on 7, but that was before the Houston signing. If it's 6, that means either Boykin or Proche goes (Watkins, Brown, Bateman, Wallace, Duvernay are givens). Boykins is a good blocker, but there's some kind of disconnect between he & Jackson. I like Proche a lot as a return guy and think he has some potential as an offensive piece - I dunno, maybe he & Duvernay are too much of the same thing.

Given good health and if Queen becomes more consistent, I think the defense will be among the best Baltimore has had under Harbaugh.

I'm with you on Jackson - dude, do what you have to to stop catching that ####; you, too, Gus.
Any insider info on whether Lamar got the shots?  Just curious on his return timeline.  Also, as a dynasty investor, concerned with you that he's just going to keep getting Covid.

Any insider info on whether Lamar got the shots?  Just curious on his return timeline.  Also, as a dynasty investor, concerned with you that he's just going to keep getting Covid.
It hasn’t been stated but since he has to sit out 10 days it seems he’s not vaccinated. I’d assume his natural immunity from getting it (again!) will lead to him being extremely unlikely to get it again for several months.

It hasn’t been stated but since he has to sit out 10 days it seems he’s not vaccinated. I’d assume his natural immunity from getting it (again!) will lead to him being extremely unlikely to get it again for several months.
I missed the 10 days part.  Was not sure how long he was out.  Thanks.

Not great. Bateman sounds minor but a “worse than expected” hamstring injury for Hollywood doesn’t sound good. Tylan Wallace extra reps I guess!

Well, this is fun! Sheesh. It's liable to be one of those years like 2015, when I think the whole team ended up on IR.

The RB situation is being discussed ad nauseum elsewhere, but losing Peters hurts almost as bad. They have depth, but none of those players are like him. And the Ravens have had cursed luck with DB injuries through the years.  I'm guessing the Ravens will roll out Averett in Peters' spot. They REALLY need Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young to stay healthy.

Well, this is fun! Sheesh. It's liable to be one of those years like 2015, when I think the whole team ended up on IR.

The RB situation is being discussed ad nauseum elsewhere, but losing Peters hurts almost as bad. They have depth, but none of those players are like him. And the Ravens have had cursed luck with DB injuries through the years.  I'm guessing the Ravens will roll out Averett in Peters' spot. They REALLY need Jimmy Smith and Tavon Young to stay healthy.
Ugh yeah, the loss of Peters I think is worse. They’ll find a couple guys who can bang between the tackles at Rb and I still think we’ll put points on the board. There’s depth at DB but now you need Jimmy and Tavon to be healthy all year (good luck with that) and it diminishes the nickle package that we blitz out of so frequently too. And like you said Peters is different as a more speed/finesse guy compared to the physically of Jimmy and Marlon. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, 3-1 at the (almost/kinda/sorta) quarter pole. Good win yesterday that could easily come into tiebreakers should Baltimore be in playoff contention.

Jackson has looked fantastic passing the ball the last two games. His numbers against Detroit would have looked much better if Hollywood & Watkins didn't forget how to catch. His passes look crisp and he seems in command. He'll never be Marino, where he just throws darts at will but he's grown a ton. Pretty good for the best wildcat QB since Ronnie Brown.

The bad tackling by the defense drives me crazy. It wasn't just the Javaontae Williams run, which was an embarrassment, but they try too hard on every play to strip the ball instead of putting the carrier on the ground.

Oh, man - I like Oweh. A LOT. He reminds me of Suggs - not as polished, but faster. I think he's gonna be a monster and get  really rich when his rookie contract expires.

The schedule is fairly favorable going forward. Baltimore just needs to win their share of them to be in good postseason standing.

Ok, 3-1 at the (almost/kinda/sorta) quarter pole. Good win yesterday that could easily come into tiebreakers should Baltimore be in playoff contention.

Jackson has looked fantastic passing the ball the last two games. His numbers against Detroit would have looked much better if Hollywood & Watkins didn't forget how to catch. His passes look crisp and he seems in command. He'll never be Marino, where he just throws darts at will but he's grown a ton. Pretty good for the best wildcat QB since Ronnie Brown.

The bad tackling by the defense drives me crazy. It wasn't just the Javaontae Williams run, which was an embarrassment, but they try too hard on every play to strip the ball instead of putting the carrier on the ground.

Oh, man - I like Oweh. A LOT. He reminds me of Suggs - not as polished, but faster. I think he's gonna be a monster and get  really rich when his rookie contract expires.

The schedule is fairly favorable going forward. Baltimore just needs to win their share of them to be in good postseason standing.
Lamar has been really good throwing the ball and like you said the drops hide a lot of that from his numbers. I read somewhere else that his air yards are tops in the league by a wide margin. He’s throwing the ball deep and while the weird “he’s a rb” people will remember the KC overthrow of Hollywood and a couple other misses he’s also dropped deep dimes to Sammy, Hollywood multiple times (twice dropped), and Andrews. And he’s done this with the line being shaky at times. It seems whenever they put Ricard in motion and then leave him in to help block, Lamar takes a deep drop and has a lot of time to throw downfield. I’d like to see this more. Even if it means only 4 guys in routes, send a couple deep then if nothing is there Lamar can take off against a stretched defense. Oh and that Andrews td that got called back by the inadvertent and totally unnecessary face mask…keep that play in the book! Very nice design. On the bad list, we’ve got to stop wasting these 3rd and 2 or 3 plays running Murray or Freeman. They’re just not good enough combined with the current state of the line to get the job done there. The ball needs to be in Lamar’s hands.

3-1 is an excellent start  especially given the injuries. Speaking of which Harbaugh seemed to think Villanueva will be fine. Boykin and Bateman are back next week it seems. Super excited to see what Bateman can add to this offense. Jimmy’s return has helped the defense a good bit it seems. Hoping we get some similar boosts with the wrs coming back, Boyle hopefully soon, and at some point Stanley and Wolfe. No clue what timeline we’re looking at for those last 2 guys.

This is a huge stretch now. 4 straight home games and you can even look at the games in Miami and Chicago after the home stand as games we’ve got a good shot at winning. Then the schedule gets real hard so we have to capitalize here as we get a bit more of the starters back for the difficult final 3rd of the season.

Love Oweh! He’s still so raw but his unique athleticism already makes him one of the better players on defense. He truly could develop into a game changing terror off the edge. Maybe some Jevon Kearse to his game. Madabuike flashed against KC and really was good yesterday. The emergence of these 2 young guys up front has me really excited. Hopefully Wolfe can get back at some point this year to add another body to rotate with the vets. Campbell has seemed very slow to me getting after the passer. A deeper rotation should help him.

Lamar has been really good throwing the ball and like you said the drops hide a lot of that from his numbers. I read somewhere else that his air yards are tops in the league by a wide margin. He’s throwing the ball deep and while the weird “he’s a rb” people will remember the KC overthrow of Hollywood and a couple other misses he’s also dropped deep dimes to Sammy, Hollywood multiple times (twice dropped), and Andrews. And he’s done this with the line being shaky at times. It seems whenever they put Ricard in motion and then leave him in to help block, Lamar takes a deep drop and has a lot of time to throw downfield. I’d like to see this more. Even if it means only 4 guys in routes, send a couple deep then if nothing is there Lamar can take off against a stretched defense. Oh and that Andrews td that got called back by the inadvertent and totally unnecessary face mask…keep that play in the book! Very nice design. On the bad list, we’ve got to stop wasting these 3rd and 2 or 3 plays running Murray or Freeman. They’re just not good enough combined with the current state of the line to get the job done there. The ball needs to be in Lamar’s hands.

3-1 is an excellent start  especially given the injuries. Speaking of which Harbaugh seemed to think Villanueva will be fine. Boykin and Bateman are back next week it seems. Super excited to see what Bateman can add to this offense. Jimmy’s return has helped the defense a good bit it seems. Hoping we get some similar boosts with the wrs coming back, Boyle hopefully soon, and at some point Stanley and Wolfe. No clue what timeline we’re looking at for those last 2 guys.

This is a huge stretch now. 4 straight home games and you can even look at the games in Miami and Chicago after the home stand as games we’ve got a good shot at winning. Then the schedule gets real hard so we have to capitalize here as we get a bit more of the starters back for the difficult final 3rd of the season.

Love Oweh! He’s still so raw but his unique athleticism already makes him one of the better players on defense. He truly could develop into a game changing terror off the edge. Maybe some Jevon Kearse to his game. Madabuike flashed against KC and really was good yesterday. The emergence of these 2 young guys up front has me really excited. Hopefully Wolfe can get back at some point this year to add another body to rotate with the vets. Campbell has seemed very slow to me getting after the passer. A deeper rotation should help him.
You nailed it - Kearse is a much better comparison than Suggs.

Campbell has been playing his butt off, but you're right - he's no spring chicken and Baltimore is going to need him fresh down the stretch.

I think the Ravens need to go 5-1 over the next 6, because Cleveland ain't no joke. And we know what can happen when they play the Stillers and Bengals.

You nailed it - Kearse is a much better comparison than Suggs.

Campbell has been playing his butt off, but you're right - he's no spring chicken and Baltimore is going to need him fresh down the stretch.

I think the Ravens need to go 5-1 over the next 6, because Cleveland ain't no joke. And we know what can happen when they play the Stillers and Bengals.
Cleveland is very worrisome with that defensive line against our OL. We really need Stanley and Boyle back and firing on all cylinders before we play them. Just read that Campbell was our highest rated player last game by PFF. He is definitely playing his butt off!

Cleveland is very worrisome with that defensive line against our OL. We really need Stanley and Boyle back and firing on all cylinders before we play them. Just read that Campbell was our highest rated player last game by PFF. He is definitely playing his butt off!
I have a bad feeling about Stanley's availability this season which is, as you said, vital for the Ravens. Andre Smith playing important minutes is ungood. I wouldn't be surprised to see them make a trade for a Tackle.

Getting Boyle back would be a huge boon for the offense. The team is also going to have to make some tough decisions about playing time at WR, since both Proche & Duvernay showed really well Sunday.

Lamar Jackson can beat teams by land or by air. He had help from his oline, receivers, Calais. The metrics haven't been lying, Lamar is a very good passer.
He's been the best he's ever been the last 3 games. His numbers against Detroit should have been closer to last night's but everyone got butterfingers at the same time.

Ronnie Stanley is having surgery and is out for the season. They'll have to mix-and-match the rest of the season on OL.

Looks like starting Josh Bynes at MLB and moving Queen to WLB was a good move. Bynes doesn't have the wheels Queen does, but he's smart and experienced. That also allows the Ravens to turn Queen loose without him trying to direct the defense (which may forever be beyond him).

Obviously as massive game this weekend against the Bengals. I don't have my (almost-certainly wrong) pick yet, so stay tuned to fade me!

I'm now convinced the Ravens are trying to kill those fans who have weak hearts.

Hollywood Brown is on pace for 98/1,450/12. Looks like WR #1 numbers to me. Just because he doesn't look like Julio Jones doesn't mean he's not a viable top FF WR.

Miami & Chicago are the next two games. They'd better show well in them, because their last 7 are: Steelers x 2, Browns x 2, Cincy, GB, & the Rams. Yikes. 11 wins is going to be tough sledding.

Lamar Jackson should be getting serious consideration for MVP. I know Stafford, Brady, and Herbert have been great but Jackson is literally carrying Baltimore. If you plugged a league-average QB in there, the Ravens are probably a 2 win team at this point (if that).

Attention upcoming opponents! Instead of picking on CB Anthony Averett, you should be throwing to whoever Marlon Humphrey is covering. He's been getting roasted this season.

DeShon Elliott gone for the year. I know some Ravens fans think they'll be better off without him, but I'm not so sure. For one, Brandon Stephens - the apparent next man up - is still very raw and has struggled himself. Two, he played tough. Elliott wasn't gonna make anyone forget Edward Reed, but had been playing ok. Be careful what you wish for, Ravens fans.

I know the ST gave up the KO return yesterday (which I thought was the nail in the coffin for Baltimore - silly me), but they've been magnificent this season. Along with the QB, Brown, some Andrews, and an experienced coaching staff, they are the main reason Baltimore is 6-2 instead of 2-6.

@The_Man, @Cobbler1, and anyone else - thoughts?

I'm now convinced the Ravens are trying to kill those fans who have weak hearts.

Hollywood Brown is on pace for 98/1,450/12. Looks like WR #1 numbers to me. Just because he doesn't look like Julio Jones doesn't mean he's not a viable top FF WR.

Miami & Chicago are the next two games. They'd better show well in them, because their last 7 are: Steelers x 2, Browns x 2, Cincy, GB, & the Rams. Yikes. 11 wins is going to be tough sledding.

Lamar Jackson should be getting serious consideration for MVP. I know Stafford, Brady, and Herbert have been great but Jackson is literally carrying Baltimore. If you plugged a league-average QB in there, the Ravens are probably a 2 win team at this point (if that).

Attention upcoming opponents! Instead of picking on CB Anthony Averett, you should be throwing to whoever Marlon Humphrey is covering. He's been getting roasted this season.

DeShon Elliott gone for the year. I know some Ravens fans think they'll be better off without him, but I'm not so sure. For one, Brandon Stephens - the apparent next man up - is still very raw and has struggled himself. Two, he played tough. Elliott wasn't gonna make anyone forget Edward Reed, but had been playing ok. Be careful what you wish for, Ravens fans.

I know the ST gave up the KO return yesterday (which I thought was the nail in the coffin for Baltimore - silly me), but they've been magnificent this season. Along with the QB, Brown, some Andrews, and an experienced coaching staff, they are the main reason Baltimore is 6-2 instead of 2-6.

@The_Man, @Cobbler1, and anyone else - thoughts?
Agreed, Lamar is absolutely carrying a team that’s probably below .500 with an average qb playing back there. I’m not sure that’s sustainable. Gotta get the next 2 wins on the road against bad teams and then shoot for 3-4 or 4-3 in those last 7.

The supporting cast around Lamar has to get better if this team truly will contend. Can some young guys on defense improve- Queen, Madabuike, Averett, Harrison? That would be big. It seems like Boyle is close, Wolfe had his return window opened last week I believe, Cleveland I think is a week or 2 away, seems like Mekari will probably be questionable for Thursday and I expect back for the Bears game at worst. That lets Phillips kick back inside where he was starting to begin the year and improves our jumbo formations. Sammy Watkins also should be back in a week or 2. So there’s a decent amount of talent also coming back that should increase the ability of the guys around Lamar.

I think Elliot was missed against the Colts and played really well against the Chargers. Stephens length and athleticism gives him a higher ceiling but he’s a substantial drop now I’d expect. Hollywood has since the middle of last year been a fantasy wr1. I’ve said it in the Lamar thread and in his own thread. He has his moments with the drops but he gets open and recently has been doing more of the short stuff too and then getting upfield. 

Adding to the Hollywood points, he’s at 83/1216/12 over his last 16 games dating back to last year and including the playoffs. 

Agreed, Lamar is absolutely carrying a team that’s probably below .500 with an average qb playing back there. I’m not sure that’s sustainable. Gotta get the next 2 wins on the road against bad teams and then shoot for 3-4 or 4-3 in those last 7.

The supporting cast around Lamar has to get better if this team truly will contend. Can some young guys on defense improve- Queen, Madabuike, Averett, Harrison? That would be big. It seems like Boyle is close, Wolfe had his return window opened last week I believe, Cleveland I think is a week or 2 away, seems like Mekari will probably be questionable for Thursday and I expect back for the Bears game at worst. That lets Phillips kick back inside where he was starting to begin the year and improves our jumbo formations. Sammy Watkins also should be back in a week or 2. So there’s a decent amount of talent also coming back that should increase the ability of the guys around Lamar.

I think Elliot was missed against the Colts and played really well against the Chargers. Stephens length and athleticism gives him a higher ceiling but he’s a substantial drop now I’d expect. Hollywood has since the middle of last year been a fantasy wr1. I’ve said it in the Lamar thread and in his own thread. He has his moments with the drops but he gets open and recently has been doing more of the short stuff too and then getting upfield. 
To be honest, I'm not sure they even need Watkins at this point unless someone gets hurt. Brown, we talked about - he's plenty good. Bateman is coming on very fast - there was a near miss yesterday on what should have been a long TD - and I think is going to be really good. He reminds me of a faster Derrick Mason. I've been screaming to get Duvernay & Proche more involved. After decades of futility in drafting WRs, I like the group they have now. They are unconventional, but talented.

Dare I say that Baltimore is a passing team now?

Every team in the league is below .500 with average QB play.
True, but Lamar has 3 double-digit comeback wins and is still 7th or 8th in the MVP race. He's not getting enough respect for what he brings to the team as a runner, passer, and fearless leader. 

True, but Lamar has 3 double-digit comeback wins and is still 7th or 8th in the MVP race. He's not getting enough respect for what he brings to the team as a runner, passer, and fearless leader. 
The real problem is treating the MVP race as if it is a season-long affair.  Why are you even looking at it in early November? 

To be honest, I'm not sure they even need Watkins at this point unless someone gets hurt. Brown, we talked about - he's plenty good. Bateman is coming on very fast - there was a near miss yesterday on what should have been a long TD - and I think is going to be really good. He reminds me of a faster Derrick Mason. I've been screaming to get Duvernay & Proche more involved. After decades of futility in drafting WRs, I like the group they have now. They are unconventional, but talented.

Dare I say that Baltimore is a passing team now?
Definitely morphing towards a passing team, although the rb room may play a role there. I like the wrs as well and agree that Sammy’s return won’t help as much as Mekari and Wolfe but I do think he’s a bit better than Proche/Duvernay right now as an outside wr. Fun (and sad) to think what a healthy JK/Gus could do with teams having to respect the passing a little more.

Some moves today- Boyle activated! Hello top blocking TE. Cleveland designated to return. Some interior OL depth added there. Westry also has a shot to return this week according to the beat guy. Hoping for some good news soon with Mekari and Wolfe. 

Cobbler1 said:
Definitely morphing towards a passing team, although the rb room may play a role there. I like the wrs as well and agree that Sammy’s return won’t help as much as Mekari and Wolfe but I do think he’s a bit better than Proche/Duvernay right now as an outside wr. Fun (and sad) to think what a healthy JK/Gus could do with teams having to respect the passing a little more.
I'm sure you're right about Watkins. Maybe I'm selling him short because the other guys are doing well and because good homegrown WRs have been so scarce around these parts that I'm in shock.

Having Dobbins/Edwards would have made a huge difference, considering how much better Jackson has become as a passer. 

Boyle, Mekari, Wolfe, and Westry coming back are huge. 

Ricard is due up for a contract, I believe. Ravens have to resign him, right? 

Interesting team, fun to watch, ultimately not that good because of injuries

They need to beat Miami and Chicago to get to 8-2 because the last 7 games are a lot - Pitt x 2, Cle x 2, Cincy, Rams and GB

To me they look like a team that clinches a playoff spot in the final week, maybe wins a Wild Card game, and bows out in the Divisional Round. But also the kind of team that nobody wants to play in the playoffs and could go on a run if things come together

They need Mekari to come back at RT, so they can move Tyre Phillips back inside to LG. Phillips stinks at Tackle, and Powers/Cleveland aren't great at LG. That's the one O Line configuration that gives them a chance - unless this street Free Agent they picked up last week can play RT until Mekari gets back.

If the O Line is just average, instead of terrible, and Latavius Murray - their only RB with any juice - can come back, then Lamar plus that receiving corps is enough to put up 30+ on anyone. 

The D isn't as bad as it's looked. Other than the sloppy tackling, the real issue has been lack of pass rush. Even with the exotic blitzes, they're not getting home. So when Wink leaves the DBs in man coverage to rush 7 guys, and the rush doesn't get there, then the speedy WRs like Chase can torch them. When they've gone to zone, like vs KC and the Chargers, it's worked well. Oweh needs to get past the rookie wall and get some sacks, and Houston needs to contribute as well. But I think they should scrap blitzes and man vs the QB/WR tandems that can torch them and just play zone. This is Lamar's team now, an offensive team, and the D should be playing to hold opponents to 20+, not play a high-risk/reward gambling style. 

On a final note, the Ravens put out a video this week of all 18 of Tucker's career game-winning clips. Watch and enjoy: https://twitter.com/Ravens/status/1458156436018458626?s=20

I like to F around and find Lamar stats. Here are some fun facts I've come up with lately.

Lamar is currently tied for 144th all-time with 36 wins as a starting QB. His next win will move him into a tie at #141 with Bubby Brister, Jay Fiedler, and Mark Sanchez. His win last week moved him out of a tie with Tony Banks, Pat Haden and Archie Manning. That's right, at age 24, Lamar has more career wins than Archie Manning had in his entire career.

Since the start of 2018 season, Lamar is 5th in NFL in rushing yards (despite not playing for half the 2018 season):
Henry 5563
Elliott 4392
Chubb 4278
Cook 3861
Lamar 3506

This season is only the 5th time a QB has at least 500 rushing yds in the first 8 games of a season
Lamar 2019 (637)
Lamar 2021 (600)
Vick 2006 (576)
Bobby Douglass 1972 (556)
Kyler Murray 2020 (543)

Lamar has more rushing yards and more passing yards than Murray did after 8 games last year when he was getting all the MVP hype (though Murray had more TDs)

I think I’m arriving more and more at the harsh reality that this is currently a mediocre roster being dragged to adequacy most of the time by the greatness of Lamar. Most of our position groups are well below league average in talent by my amateur estimation:

Wrs- maybe league average here. Hollywood is good and Bateman has splashed enough to likely have a bright future. But at the moment he’s still a rookie who missed a ton of camp and the first month. I’d easily take the Bengals, Steelers, Chiefs, Chargers, Bills, Broncos, Cowboys, Bucs, Vikings, Seahawks, Rams, Cards over this unit and there’s a few more teams that are probably in the same tier.

Te- Andrews is good. The rest of the group was signed off the street or traded for a 7th by the Jags. Not great.

D Line- I think this unit has a lot of talent. Campbell still has juice, Madabuike has talent, Oweh is good now and projects to be a beast. 

That’s it. One unit I feel could be above average. And 2 that maybe are average. Meanwhile:

-The rb room is a well documented disaster and way more impactful than I thought it would be. 

-The OL is starting Villanueva who we hoped to be a decent RT at LT. Mekari was really good at RT but he’s hurt so Phillips is there and he’s no good at RT. And he’s supposed to start at guard so it hurts us there too having to slide him out. Powers is essentially our 4th option between the 2 guard positions and he’s starting.

-The secondary is a disaster. Humphrey has been terrible this year. Averett has ascended to being mostly decent. The safeties can’t cover ANYONE and now have added the fun concept of totally missing an assignment a couple times a game. Extremely devoid of talent there. 

-The interior LBs might actually be the second worst group after the RBs. Queen flashes athleticism but he’s lost 80% of the time. So much so that another old guy signed off the street (Bynes) had to come in and start so the defense could have half a clue what they’re doing. 

Can it get better? Rb won’t get better this year. LB probably won’t either. Bynes stabilized it a bit but unless Queen takes a huge leap they’re still a poor unit. Westry and Stephens are fun athletes in the secondary but they’re so raw it’s highly unlikely they’ll take huge leaps so I doubt that improves. I have the most hope for the OL. Mekari getting back will help out 2 positions and Cleveland seems close to a return as well. Boyle can make the te group really strong if he returns as the best blocking te in the game that he was before. So maybe at that point 2 strong units and one decent unit combined with a stud qb can make up for 3 disaster units. It just feels like there’s to many holes here to really make a run. IF the OL gets healthy and the return of Boyle combined with Ricard can figure out a way to protect Lamar enough to take advantage of our wrs down the field and IF Roman figures out this stacked line blitz/fake blitz concept the Bengals and Dolphins used then maybe the offense can carry the team. That’s a wholeeee lot of ifs though.

I stopped watching the work night games several years ago - I get up too early for work and am too old to run on no sleep. I was glad of that decision when I got up this morning and saw what I missed.

Hey folks, I'll try to stick around a little longer this time.

I think last weeks smack down will work in the Ravens favor as we move through the season.  That kind of blitzing attack is what usually takes out the Ravens in the playoffs.  Hopefully they make adjustements the rest of the season and are better prepared going forward.  The oline and D to me are the biggest issues.  But every team has issues, just depends on who gets hot at the right time.  The Ravens are certainly on the list of teams capable of putting a run together. 

They are a hot mess right now, JD. After today, I don't know if they'll be favored in more than one or two games. 

They're somehow at 7 wins. I don't see any way Baltimore can get to 11 with the schedule they have left. They're running on fumes. They have a human cheat-code at QB who has carried them (when he isn't getting sick every other week), a good coaching staff, and a great PK. That's about it.

I'd play Duvernay at RB. Freeman & Murray still run hard, but really aren't much of a threat. Duvernay is.

My updated to-do list for next year: fix the O line (because I say this every year, I have it as a macro on my keyboard) & the ILB positions (Queen & Harrison have been terrible disappointments). Get some more push up front on D. Calais Campbell has played well, but he's 142 years old.

Get Peters, Dobbins, Edwards, and Stanley back healthy next year, and they should be a serious contender.

Also, props to Huntley today. He may never start another game in his life, but he played well.

They're somehow at 7 wins. I don't see any way Baltimore can get to 11 with the schedule they have left. They're running on fumes. They have a human cheat-code at QB who has carried them (when he isn't getting sick every other week), a good coaching staff, and a great PK. That's about it.

I'd play Duvernay at RB. Freeman & Murray still run hard, but really aren't much of a threat. Duvernay is.

My updated to-do list for next year: fix the O line (because I say this every year, I have it as a macro on my keyboard) & the ILB positions (Queen & Harrison have been terrible disappointments). Get some more push up front on D. Calais Campbell has played well, but he's 142 years old.

Get Peters, Dobbins, Edwards, and Stanley back healthy next year, and they should be a serious contender.

Also, props to Huntley today. He may never start another game in his life, but he played well.
I can't believe they pulled that game out today; especially just expecting Dalton to put in another final dagger, which he did but wow.  I agree, not looking good with the remaining schedule.  With their offense issues, they HAVE to address the defense if they want to make the playoffs and go anywhere this year, but can't see that happening.  

Lowest Point Differentials ever for teams to win at least 8 of their first 11 games
2004 Atlanta, 9-2, +17
2021 Baltimore, 8-3, +23
1994 Pittsburgh, 8-3, +23

Atlanta and Pittsburgh both lost their Conference Championship games those years

Was looking ahead to next year for fun (partly because I don't think this year's team is going anywhere special) and with $36 Million available they're in pretty good cap shape, will probably be in even better shape once they sign Lamar's extension (which should have a lower 2022 cap hit than what the last year of his current rookie deal calls for)

Starters who won't be back upon becoming Free Agents (in my opinion)
Brandon Williams - has never really lived up to his big deal, they have younger and cheaper replacements

DeShon Elliott - Always hurt. I think he's miscast as a Free Safety, would consider him a potential Pro Bowler at Strong Safety. But I think they're committed to Chuck Clark there and rookie Brandon Stephens is going to be a good Free Safety.

Anthony Averett - Good player, will get paid somewhere else and bring the Ravens a 3rd or 4th Round comp pick (which they love)

Impending Free Agent Starters to Keep

Patrick Mekari (Restricted Free Agent) - hope Stanley is healthy and they draft a First Round RT, making Mekari a very valuable swing Tackle. Or maybe he stays the starter at RT. They'll retain him.

Bradley Bozeman - Their most consistent O Lineman this year, would hate to lose him but the Ravens traditionally cheap out at Interior O Line (Yanda being the exception, as they let go of Grubbs, Osemele, Ryan Jensen, etc). It's a place they plug and play cheap guys and I think they like Colon to step in so I hope they keep him but I could easily see him leaving for bigger $

Patrick Ricard - I think they will definitely keep him. He's worth more to Baltimore than to any other team and shouldn't be terribly expensive.

Free Agent Starters Maybe to Keep

Calais Campbell - been their best defender but he'll be 37 and I think would need to take a discounted deal

Key Free Agent Subs Maybe to Keep

Jimmy Smith/Pernell McPhee - always hurt, but very valuable when they play. But both/either might be ready to move on or hang it up.

LJ Fort/Chris Board - Maybe keep one of these guys as your pass defending ILB?

Justin Ellis - Playing great. I had thought of him as Williams' replacement but he might be playing his way into a bigger payday somewhere else. 

Goodbye to One-Year Rentals

Sammy Watkins/Justin Houston - excellent contributors, doubt they will get the kind of deal needed to keep them form going elsewhere

Latavius Murray/Devonta Freeman - please no more, give us back our top 3 RBs

Key Guys Returning from Injury

Ronnie Stanley

Marcus Peters

Jk Dobbins/Gus Edwards

Derek Wolfe

JuWuan James - Right Tackle that Denver cut after he tore his Achilles before the 2021 season, could be the starting RT or swing Tackle. Whispers are he could be back in time for this year's playoffs.

The Ravens also currently have 9 picks in the 2022 draft's first 4 rounds (including 5 in the 4th, though Judon’s comp pick - currently projected as one of their 4th rounders - could end up giving them a 3rd pick in the 3rd round instead)

I'm going to keep enjoying whatever happens this year, but this team's Super Bowl window reopens next season (if they get healthy and stay that way)

On Sunday, Harbaugh and Tomlin face each other for the 30th time, joining the Packers' "Curley" Lambeau and the Bears' George Halas and the Giants Steve Owen and Lambeau, as the only coaches ever to reach that milestone.

Harbaugh has gone 14-15, including the playoffs, against Tomlin and is 7-9 at Heinz Field.

The Ravens have outscored the Steelers, 614-586, meaning the average score of the 29 games has been 21-20.

The_Man said:
On Sunday, Harbaugh and Tomlin face each other for the 30th time, joining the Packers' "Curley" Lambeau and the Bears' George Halas and the Giants Steve Owen and Lambeau, as the only coaches ever to reach that milestone.

Harbaugh has gone 14-15, including the playoffs, against Tomlin and is 7-9 at Heinz Field.

The Ravens have outscored the Steelers, 614-586, meaning the average score of the 29 games has been 21-20.
I posted about this in the Steelers thread a few days ago (without the numbers because I was too lazy to look them up).

I got un-lazy for a sec and looked up the individual game scores. Of the 29 games, 21 have been one-score games. Even in a season where one team swept the other (including playoff meetings), Pittsburgh has 5 one-score victories (out of 7 total wins in those years) and Baltimore has 4 (out of 6 total).

Both coaches are in the Top 30 in all-time wins and both have a winning % well above .600. Both have won a ring, though it's been a while for either of them. 

Tomlin and Harbaugh both have a shot at the Hall of Fame though it depends on how many career wins they end up with and/or another Super Bowl win 

Tomlin and Harbaugh both have a shot at the Hall of Fame though it depends on how many career wins they end up with and/or another Super Bowl win 
I don't have the all-time wins list in front of me, but I recall both are in position to jump several guys with a couple more good years. I think Tomlin is around 20th and Harbaugh maybe 27th.

I know the Ravens have had their problems on offense, have been winning by the slimmest of margins and squeaked out a few W's they probably shouldn't have.  With all that being said I think they lay a beating down on the Steelers this week.

The only chance the Steelers have is for Ben to have a game like he did against the Chargers a few weeks ago and to be able to maintain long drives to keep the defense off the field.  Doing so behind that line is going to be a challenge.

My prediction:   Ravens 35, Steelers 17.

I know the Ravens have had their problems on offense, have been winning by the slimmest of margins and squeaked out a few W's they probably shouldn't have.  With all that being said I think they lay a beating down on the Steelers this week.

The only chance the Steelers have is for Ben to have a game like he did against the Chargers a few weeks ago and to be able to maintain long drives to keep the defense off the field.  Doing so behind that line is going to be a challenge.

My prediction:   Ravens 35, Steelers 17.
The Ravens' offense is a mess and every single CB is now sick/hurt. Not exaggerating - they will have to elevate a couple of practice squad guys, who will probably (and might even start). Another option is to move their rookie FS Brandon Stephens (who is now starting only because DeShon Elliott is out for the year) back to CB where he played 2 years at SMU. 

I now hear Hayward is sick too and might miss the game. It's going to be a messy, hard fought typical Ravens-Steelers game - because of the Steelers injuries up front, I'll go Ravens 19, Steelers 17

I don't have the all-time wins list in front of me, but I recall both are in position to jump several guys with a couple more good years. I think Tomlin is around 20th and Harbaugh maybe 27th.

Good call!

I just looked this up. Tomlin has never had a losing season (though that might changes this year) and his .648 winning percentage is higher than everyone ahead of him on the career wins list except Shula, Halas and Belichick. That’s pretty distinguished company.

He’s 20th with 150 career wins. Up next for him are:

19. Steve Owen, 153 (HOF)
18. Joe Gibbs, 154 (HOF)
17. Bud Grant, 158 (HOF)
16. Mike Holmgren 161
15. Paul Brown 166 (HOF)
13 (tie). Mike Shanahan and Tom Coughlin 170

Starting in 2021, the HOF changed its rules to save one finalist spot per year for a coach. Vermeil gets in this year, and I think Shanahan, Holmgren and Coughlin should follow pretty quickly. Based on all of this, Tomlin has already earned a place in the HOF.

Harbaugh is 27th with 135 wins. Separating him from Tomlin are:

26. McCarthy, 138 (and counting)
25. Dungy, 139 (HOF)
24. Marv Levy 143 (HOF)
22. (Tie) Payton and Carroll 148 (and counting)
21. Cowher 149 (HOF)

If he goes 3-3 to finish this year 11-6, then goes 11-6 the next two years, he’ll have 160 wins with a .622 win percentage. At that point, he’s probably a Hall of Famer already, even without another Super Bowl, or without additional years of amassing wins to follow.

Users who are viewing this thread