What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mike Glennon, NYG (1 Viewer)

Faust

MVP
Greg Schiano: QB Mike Glennon making strides for Bucs

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers don't have a quarterback controversy, but they do have a player to watch in Mike Glennon.

After Josh Freeman struggled in Friday night's 25-21 preseason loss to the Patriots, his rookie backup showed progress, standing tall against the rush and displaying his strong arm in a two-touchdown performance against New England's multiple-look defense.

"He's picking it up," Bucs coach Greg Schiano said, per the team's official website. "It's hard for a rookie; it's a lot of stuff and exponentially when you put a defense like New England's that does a lot of stuff -- it's 3-4 and it's 4-3; it can kind of get on you. He didn't get a lot of plays in practice. That was by the plan. He got some, but Josh was going to get most of the practice and Mike was going to get most of the game, and that was the way we wanted to do it."

On a night when Freeman was sacked three times and Glennon was knocked to the turf on his first drive, Schiano was impressed with how the rookie responded to a collapsing pocket.

"He got crocked one time," Schiano said, "and I was anxious to see how he got up; and he caught one right between the numbers and popped up."

Glennon's numbers -- 12-of-22 passing for 121 yards and two touchdowns with one interception -- were a step forward, but what stood out to us was the arm strength and the way he bounced back from the third-quarter pick.

It's hard to argue with Greg Cosell, the NFL Films senior producer who said in May: "When you pop in tape of a guy, and often you can see this after one game or 15 throws, you say, 'That guy (Glennon) looks like a quarterback and other guys don't.' "

Schiano repeatedly has quelled talk of a quarterback switch in Tampa Bay. It's Freeman's job to lose, but Glennon gives the Bucs an intriguing second option.

The Around The League Podcast is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh Freeman is playing out the final year of his contract, and if he plays this season in a similar manner to what he did last year, then it is very probable that the Bucs will go with Mike Glennon in 2014.

Mike Glennon will be the QB as soon as they're out of it or Freeman has 3 bad games in a row.

I dont know what happened... Freeman was like top 3 QB mid season last year and then all of a sudden... WHAM. He just begins to suck... and continue to suck. What happened?

Glennon looks good... I can see him getting in sooner than later considering Freeman is not the coaches "guy."

Freeman might not be a stud, but he'll be a ridiculously hot commodity if he hits FA. That's just the reality of the league, the NFL is hard up for QB's. I think the Bucs are kidding themselves in the "grass is greener..." way if they think they're actually going to be better, now or at any time later, with Glennon.

That news article was from last week. And all it says is his coach says he's "picking it up".

Freeman might not be a stud, but he'll be a ridiculously hot commodity if he hits FA. That's just the reality of the league, the NFL is hard up for QB's. I think the Bucs are kidding themselves in the "grass is greener..." way if they think they're actually going to be better, now or at any time later, with Glennon.
Oakland is rooting for Glennon to start... Then they don't have to make the Bridgewater/Clowney decision that is looming. Seriously, if Freeman hits free agency I can think of plenty of teams that would pony up the cash for the opportunity to fix his flaws...

Oakland---They're going to roll Terrell Pryor out for goodness sakes

San Diego---Rivers will be 33 has looked awful the past 2.5 years

Kansas City---Because we know Alex Smith isn't the answer

Houston-- Matt Schaub is the main thing holding that thing back in Houston

Jacksonville-- Immediate upgrade over Gabbert and Henne.

Chicago-- Jay Cutler will be a FA, if he falters, he walks.

Minnesota-- Christian Ponder+Matt Cassel=success.

JohnnyU said:
Which dynasty stash do you like at QB between Cousins, Mallet, and Glennon?
In this order (IMO): Mallet, Glennon, Cousins

All could be good...I like Mallet because he is getting the best "training" and really was a well thought of prospect minus the behavioral issues (which he seems to have outgrown). I actually feel better about this since Hernandez was allowed to implode in NE, it is reassurance that he is still on the team. Glennon played here in Raleigh, and while he was not a killer out there, he was pretty good. He often gets overshadowed by Rivers and Wilson, but was pretty productive. It also wasn't a "system thing", as between Rivers and Glennon, there were three separate staffs there. Cousins I just feel is benefitting some from the system...while that does not make him a bad QB, I doubt he will produce outside of DC like he has there in his few opportunities.

I would take Glennon last of the 3. Mallet should have strong value when he's let lose on the market while the other two kind of have to prove something before people would pay. I don't necessarily believe in Mallet more but I believe other people believe in Mallet more. I would take Cousins over Glennon because I think he's actually kind of a good QB.

It's hard for anyone to be a negative over what Freeman's done so far this year. I think VJax's upside is most affected because there'll be more short passes. Not that VJax is bad at short passes but a lot of his upside is connecting on big plays. The other two shouldn't be affected too much.

Idk - Glennon has a huge arm. Why wouldn't he just sling it down the field to the guy that can go up and get it? It doesn't have to be super precise for VJax to make it a productive play.

Idk - Glennon has a huge arm. Why wouldn't he just sling it down the field to the guy that can go up and get it? It doesn't have to be super precise for VJax to make it a productive play.
Can he avoid the pass rush long enough to throw the accurately downfield? If I was a DC I would blitz him every play.

Can he avoid the pass rush long enough to throw the accurately downfield? If I was a DC I would blitz him every play.
That's potentially a big problem. I'm honestly concerned about VJax as an owner in my auction league, but at the same time I doubt anyone gives me fair value for his upside.

I suppose the glass half full view would be to say that Martin can make them pay for blitzing too much. If he breaks into the second level on a few well placed runs, or manages to hit on a well-timed screen, he can really make a defense pay.

I'm trying not to panic on VJax because I don't think Freeman is an elite talent in the first place. Glennon may not be the next Brady, but if the team feels he's a better option than Freeman, I don't think it automatically sinks VJax

That's potentially a big problem. I'm honestly concerned about VJax as an owner in my auction league, but at the same time I doubt anyone gives me fair value for his upside.

I suppose the glass half full view would be to say that Martin can make them pay for blitzing too much. If he breaks into the second level on a few well placed runs, or manages to hit on a well-timed screen, he can really make a defense pay.

I'm trying not to panic on VJax because I don't think Freeman is an elite talent in the first place. Glennon may not be the next Brady, but if the team feels he's a better option than Freeman, I don't think it automatically sinks VJax
Good point.

I'm perhaps more down on him than I should be since I was a big Bledsoe fan and watched defenses terrorize, especially after his first few years.

It could also be very good for Martin's receiving numbers since he may need to dump the ball off a lot.

Yeah - it's a good offense for a QB to succeed.

Martin to manage the game, offer a strong running complement to the passing game.

VJax and Williams are both physically imposing guys capable of making plays when the pass isn't perfect.

O-line has talent - will be stronger when Nicks returns.

I'm taking solace in the fact that Freeman's inconsistency hasn't managed to sink VJax just yet. If the Bucs truly feel Glennon gives them a better shot, then I'll have to assume it's no worse for VJax than the current situation, especially considering that whispers have emerged about Schiano losing the locker room and maybe starting to find his seat a bit warm. No coach with any inkling that his job may be in jeopardy is going to go with the lesser talent just to prove a point.

well good thing is they have an early bye week (5).

they know what they have in freeman, can glennon be much worse?

I think I like the idea of Glennon more then his production.

BIG, Strong, rocket arm.. Should be able to make all the throws. Like others have said its a good situation for a rookie to be successful. Add to the fact he will have a longer leash then Freeman since he is Schianos guy and could put up half decent numbers.

Need something to help get Martin some better numbers.

I watched every game Glennon played in college, and I would be shocked if he is ever an effective NFL starter.

Also, he has a strong arm, but some posters are overstating that in here... I certainly wouldn't call it a rocket arm.

Rotoworld:

Mike Glennon has been named the Bucs starting quarterback going forward.

With Josh Freeman regressing and in the final year of his contract, the Bucs have made the bold move of giving Glennon the keys to the car. Barring an injury, the third-round rookie projects to start the rest of the year. The strong-armed, 6'7/225 Glennon is an ideal fit for OC Mike Sullivan's vertical scheme. Taking over for Russell Wilson at North Carolina State, he showed a tendency to check down frequently but also took plenty of shot plays. There wasn't much intermediate work. During the preseason, Glennon completed 33-of-70 passes (47.1 percent) for 397 yards with three touchdowns and three interceptions. His promotion is a slight hit to Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams, but a boost for Doug Martin's PPR value.

Sep 25 - 9:07 AM

Josh Freeman out, Mike Glennon in: Impact of Bucs' QB change?

Excerpt:

Bucky Brooks

Don't underestimate Glennon, who reminds me of a young Joe Flacco

This is a tremendous opportunity for Mike Glennon to prove to the football world that he is a legitimate franchise quarterback. While his draft position in April (third-round pick) would suggest he is a developmental prospect, I've always believed Glennon has the tools to be an upper-echelon NFL quarterback. In fact, I think he compares favorably to Joe Flacco at this stage of his career. As a 6-foot-6, 232-pound, classic dropback passer with a big arm, Glennon excels at pushing the ball downfield in a vertical scheme. Moreover, he is a masterful ball handler adept at working in an offense built on heavy play-action concepts. This makes him a perfect fit for a Bucs attack that features a sledgehammer at running back (Doug Martin) and a pair of big-bodied pass catchers (Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams) on the perimeter.

If Glennon is given sufficient time in the pocket, he should add a spark to a unit that failed to consistently move the ball with Josh Freeman under center. Sure, the youngster will have his fair share of turnovers, but the potential that he'll deliver big results makes this the right move for the Buccaneers at this time.

Mike Glennon's Buccaneers debut ruined by CardinalsExcerpt:

The winless Tampa Bay Buccaneers were on the wrong side of the scoreboard -- again -- but Mike Glennon's NFL debut was far from a disaster flick.

The rookie quarterback showed promise in a 13-10 loss to the Arizona Cardinals, who scored 13 unanswered fourth-quarter points to seal the deal.

There were errors and a few ugly reads, but Glennon's best quality was evident: He isn't afraid to get rid of the ball. Glennon rolled away from the rush, checked down to second and third options and capably built a 10-0 halftime lead before throwing it away with two interceptions in the final four minutes.

Down the stretch, Glennon looked more like a rookie -- frankly, more like Josh Freeman -- than Tom Brady, but he showed promise Sunday.

How's Glennon been looking so far in game action?

The numbers have been pretty decent the last couple weeks.
I've liked what I've seen the last 2 weeks. He's not very mobile, and sometimes takes a while to read the defense, but the latter is expected with most rookies. He's willing to try to fit the ball into tight spaces, and has a great arm. I'd be curious to see how much better he'd be right now, if Tampa had dumped Freeman during the off season, since it seemed like the thought Glennon was better during camp. He kinda reminds me of a young Kerry Collins, which is pretty solid for a 3rd round rookie.

I couldn't stand Josh Freeman's poor accuracy and even worse decision making. But I thought going with Glennon would be an even bigger trainwreck than it already was. He's young and will have his share of rough days but after a few games I see why they went with him over Freeman. If he continues to improve he could def be an adequate QB 2 in fantasy.

I'd be looking to sell on Glennon except that his easy schedule looks like it will continue. The only tough defenses he faces are the Panthers twice and 49ers.

travdogg said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
How's Glennon been looking so far in game action?

The numbers have been pretty decent the last couple weeks.
I've liked what I've seen the last 2 weeks. He's not very mobile, and sometimes takes a while to read the defense, but the latter is expected with most rookies. He's willing to try to fit the ball into tight spaces, and has a great arm. I'd be curious to see how much better he'd be right now, if Tampa had dumped Freeman during the off season, since it seemed like the thought Glennon was better during camp. He kinda reminds me of a young Kerry Collins, which is pretty solid for a 3rd round rookie.
As someone who watched all of his college games (N.C. State alum), I think Collins is a good comparison, though I will be surprised if Glennon is as successful as Collins.

I don't know who said he had a big arm, but that couldn't be more false. He is accurate on short and intermediate routes but his deep balls are the worst I have ever seen and he cannot push the ball on an out route.

I don't know who said he had a big arm, but that couldn't be more false. He is accurate on short and intermediate routes but his deep balls are the worst I have ever seen and he cannot push the ball on an out route.
He hasn't been overly accurate with the deep ball yet, but it's traveling a pretty good distance when he cuts it loose.

He looks good to me. He's involving more receivers than Freeman did in spite of targeting Jackson so much.

His deep ball lacks accuracy and not a lot of zip on it, easily defended. But he's got some pop on the intermediate routes. And it's not saying much, but he's improved in each of his games week to week. Incremental improvement, not saying he's good. But at least it's a different direction than Josh Freeman who incrementally got worse each week. At least it's trending in the right direction.

I'm surprised to hear his arm strength hasn't looked good. That was one of the things he was noticeably good at in college and all the scouting reports pretty much agreed on. His delivery was overextended and drawn out though. Leftwich like as a matter of fact. I wonder if he's being coached to shorten it up and become more compact and that is taking some of his steam off.

His deep balls honesty look like punts. One floated like 5 yards out of bounds last week. Never saw a throw like it.

His outs are being jumped too. He's had 3 potential pick sixes that have been dropped or the Bucs wideout broke up.

I think he's a career backup. I don't see potential starting NFL QB here.

Yeah, the scouts missed on saying this guy had a good deep ball. Sullivan needs to make this a dink & dunk offense for him to succeed. This guy would have been pretty good in a Gruden offense.

He isn't getting much help from the o-line either, which was supposed to be a strength.

This team really needs to be blown up. If it was just Freeman they missed on they probably could of recovered, but the O-line is terrible, and so is the D line. We couldn't touch Matt Ryan, and their o-line is garbage. Hopefully, the Glaziers don't think this team is gonna pull a KC.

It wasn't really possible this week for me I guess, but this seems like the kind of situation where Glennon could be the next hot WW pickup if he has a good game tonight on TNF.

Obviously he is hitting VJax well and good, I bet many were expecting a dip in value there for Vince. I wish I had traded for him.

Maybe he bombs, but if he has three straight games that will get people's notice.

Very curious about how he looks tonight in any event.

About the above post, I thought the Oline and Dline were supposed to be on paper among the best in football. The team just seems to be in disarray right now. As a Saints fan I couldn't be happier, but objectively I don't see why they need to be blowing up the roster.

Usually when a team goes from being thought of as a tough defensive matchup to an easy one that usually tells me they have given up or in the process of doing so.

Having said all of that, this seems like a good game for the Bucs to get off the schneid - at home, mediocre Cats on the road for TNF, growing young QB, last ditch effort, all that stuff. They could get their first win tonight.

This team most definitely does not need to be blown up. It is not in a rebuilding mode. There need to be tweaks but there is a lot of talent here.

This team most definitely does not need to be blown up. It is not in a rebuilding mode. There need to be tweaks but there is a lot of talent here.
They're terrible. I bet they lose by 20 tonight.

ETA: just realized they're on the road, so it will be closer to two touchdowns.

They're terrible. I bet they lose by 20 tonight.ETA: just realized they're on the road, so it will be closer to two touchdowns.
Terrible doesn't mean there is no talent.

And they are at home.

I've been pretty impressed by Glennon so far, given he's a rookie. That deep ball on the left sideline should have been a TD if the receiver held on to it. There's been a couple inaccurate balls, but I think they made the right choice getting this guy going than keeping Freeman. Maybe Schiano isn't such a schmuck after all.

Glennon would be having a much better night if the center would snap the ball above his knees.

Rotoworld:

Mike Glennon completed 30-of-51 passes for 275 yards and one touchdown in Thursday night's Week 8 loss to the Panthers.
It was a dismal performance from Glennon, who was playing without Doug Martin and a banged up Mike Williams. He was sacked three times and generally held onto the ball too long, but managed to avoid any turnovers. Glennon couldn't get anything going downfield with Vincent Jackson and averaged a pathetic 5.4 yards per attempt. He won't be a recommended QB2 start for Week 9 against the Seahawks.

The problem I see is with the heavy contracts for the older guys, specifically on the O-line. I don't think we can expect to pay Penn, Nicks, and Joseph the money they are making for much longer. They are all +30, not playing great, and aren't cheap. That is possibly 3 major holes to fill unless someone will restructure.

Lets just say 2 of the O-line are gone in 2014. Our offensive needs would be,

2 OL

1 TE

1 WR

We got lucky with Penn. I doubt we will find another starting LT without using a high draft pick. Maybe we could move Dotson over and use Carimi on the right side, but we likely need to use an early draft pick to land a starter somewhere on the o-line. We could probably land a serviceable slot WR in the mid-rounds, but I think we need to bring in a good TE (1st or 2nd round talent).

Defensive needs,

DE - will need a 1st or 2nd round elite pass rusher

CB - Banks is still young, but we need depth anyways.

So even if we stick with Glennon we have about 6 major holes to fill. How long can we keep paying guys like V-Jax, Revis, & Gholston with so many other holes to fill? And McCoy is going to need to be extended this offseason for a huge contract. David and Martin will need to be extended in a few years as well.

I've been pretty impressed by Glennon so far, given he's a rookie. That deep ball on the left sideline should have been a TD if the receiver held on to it. There's been a couple inaccurate balls, but I think they made the right choice getting this guy going than keeping Freeman. Maybe Schiano isn't such a schmuck after all.

Glennon would be having a much better night if the center would snap the ball above his knees.
Glennon had some bad throws, but between the bad snaps and dropped passes... It was not all on him.

I think he could be a serviceable qb. He does need to gain weight, he looks freakishly thin.

Rotoworld:

Bucs coach Greg Schiano believes the team has asked rookie QB Mike Glennon to throw too much.
"I think we’ve put Mike in a bad spot," Schiano said Monday. "We’re throwing the ball, he’s thrown too many passes.'' Glennon has averaged 45 attempts over his first four games, which is indeed far too many for a third-round rookie. All the attempts have created some nice volume for desperate QB2 streamers, but Glennon should settle in at much closer to 30-35 passes per game.

Source: Rick Stroud on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread