Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Mike Glennon, Jaguars

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Touch deep ball to Evans down the sideline. Perfect crossing route to Murphy in stride. Timing and anticipation out route to ASJ before he made his break. Stick throw to Jackson for the TD. Other

I'm on board so far this season. I see no reason to go back to McCown unless Glennon regresses. If he continues to play decent this season then the Bucs likely won't be in a position to grab the top

Nice try Mike Glennon.

The time to trade him would be near the draft this year.  The Bucs have another backup Koetter likes, so they might as well get something for Glennon while they can.

My opinion is that the earlier rumors of a 2nd is the price the Bucs want.  They would probably take a 3rd, but could use him to maneuver around on draft weekend.

Edited by Quez

Part of a piece in a move for Clady, Bucs fans?

Every team that has a young backup QB prospect is looking to trade him before free agency.  I don't get it.  I would rather see my team lock up a good backup.  Having a good backup can save a season.  Why not exhaust all possibilities to re-sign him?  Make him a well-paid backup.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/24/2016 at 8:49 AM, massraider said:

Part of a piece in a move for Clady, Bucs fans?

Every team that has a young backup QB prospect is looking to trade him before free agency.  I don't get it.  I would rather see my team lock up a good backup.  Having a good backup can save a season.  Why not exhaust all possibilities to re-sign him?  Make him a well-paid backup.  

Agreed, Seems like a guy who's gonna be one of the better backups but not starter material. Bucs should keep him.

12 hours ago, Tool said:

Agreed, Seems like a guy who's gonna be one of the better backups but not starter material. Bucs should keep him.

As much as I wanted to see him leave for Denver, you're right.  He'll probably have a solid career as a backup, like frank reich or Jeff Hostetler. But never a franchise guy.  

• 9 months later...
10 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Anything to see here with this guy? Is he any better than Brock Oz? I read that the Bears. Jets, and Steelers were inquiring.

He's a very high end backup or maybe a low end starter as a transition guy. Teams will be wary of giving out big money due to Oz.  I can see maybe a team giving him 12 M for a year with a way to get out of it but don't see him getting an Oz like contract.

10 hours ago, King of the Jungle said:

Anything to see here with this guy? Is he any better than Brock Oz? I read that the Bears. Jets, and Steelers were inquiring.

Way better than OzWILDer. His TD-INT was 19-9 with V. Jackson & #### surrounding him in 2013. Unfortunately if he goes to the Jets, he will have diarrhea surrounding him.

19 minutes ago, lod001 said:

Way better than OzWILDer. His TD-INT was 19-9 with V. Jackson & #### surrounding him in 2013. Unfortunately if he goes to the Jets, he will have diarrhea surrounding him.

Cha....cha...cha. I actually think the Jets are interesting. I like Robby Anderson...Enunwa is an interesting talent....Devin Smith coming back....Peake has talent...Jalen Marshall flashed....Decker may be back....  interesting young group anyway. 

Combine Report 3/4: Free Agent Rumors & More on Reuben Foster

Excerpt:

Sources close to the situation tell me the New York Jets plan to make a big push for quarterback Mike Glennon once free agency begins on March 9. With that being said, the vast majority of people in Indianapolis believe Glennon will be wearing a Chicago Bears uniform in 2017.

• 1 month later...

Speaking at his introductory press conference on Friday, Mitchell Trubisky acknowledged that Mike Glennon is still the Bears' starting quarterback.

"Mike is the starting quarterback and I’m very excited to learn from him and the rest of the veterans on the team and I can’t wait to help the Bears win," said Trubisky. The Bears stunned the football world by taking Trubisky second overall after trading four picks to the Niners to move up one spot. Chicago would only be on the hook for $2.5 million if they cut Glennon next offseason, so the plan could be for Trubisky to sit for a year before taking the reigns in 2018. Trubisky started just 13 games during his career at North Carolina.
Related: Mike Glennon

Apr 28 - 4:21 PM

The Chicago Tribune reports Mike Glennon felt "cheated on" following the Bears' trade up for Mitchell Trubisky.

It's a story as old as football, but that's not to belittle Glennon's reaction. Handed $18.5 million guaranteed after holding Jameis Winston's clipboard the past two seasons, Glennon had every reason to believe he was going to be the Bears' starter. He had zero inkling of what was coming in the draft. Glennon should still be under center in Week 1, but the clock has already been started. The Bears might end up with the quarterback result they need, but the process has not been sound.

May 1 - 1:12 PM

• 3 weeks later...

Speaking Tuesday, Bears QB Mike Glennon said it's "his year," and that the Bears are "his team."

He's tilting. Glennon admitted "surprise" at the Bears' trade up for Mitchell Trubisky, but has evidently pumped himself back up. Glennon is the favorite to be under center in Week 1, but the odds are high that Trubisky will make 2017 starts. That's the reality for any first-round quarterback, let alone a top-two pick. Glennon will have to be sensational to keep the wolves at bay.

May 23 - 1:58 PM

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mike Glennon believes game preparation led to his improved performance during the third preseason game.

Teams traditionally do not prepare specifically for the first two preseason games, but they treat the third as something of a "dress rehearsal" for the regular season. "Something I like to hang my hat on is preparing during the week as much as I can," Glennon said. "Having the full week (for preparation) all the way through, that does fit my strengths." Coach John Fox did not say it explicitly, but he all but named Glennon the starter for Week 1 after the game.

Source: Chicago Tribune

Aug 28 - 9:00 AM

• 2 weeks later...

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports free agent Mike Glennon is on the Cardinals' radar.

Arizona has missed out on the top free agent quarterbacks, but they should not be this low in the barrel yet. Glennon did not look like a starter in four games with the Bears last season. He should be limited to a backup role in 2018.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Kevin Patra on Twitter 

Mar 13 - 12:24 PM

13 minutes ago, Bronco Billy said:

Definitely one of my misses.  I thought he’d be an effective game manager with the ability to go deep once in a while.

I mean, he was that in Tampa for some of 2014. Of course that team had Vincent Jackson and Mike Evans, who made/make a lot of bad passes into successful ones.

ETA: He is an upgrade over Peterman for Oakland, I think we can all agree on that.

Edited by travdogg

Jaguars signed QB Mike Glennon, formerly of the Raiders.

A healthy scratch for most of the season under coach Jon Gruden, Glennon threw merely 10 pass attempts (and 31 over the last two years) in two appearances with the Raiders. This is clearly good news for Gardner Minshew, who continues to have minimal competition under center in his second year. Jacksonville will likely add another name to the room before it's all said and done. 

SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter

May 8, 2020, 10:57 AM ET

20 hours ago, Faust said:

Jaguars signed QB Mike Glennon, formerly of the Raiders.

Seems like the perfect Gruden guy. 

Jon seems to never meet one that he doesn't think HE can be the guy that makes the penny drop and unlocks all this potential.

Jay seems to be on a never ending quest to run HIS offense that nobody could possibly stop, if he could just find the guy willing to run it the way he's drawn it up.

Glennon is the perfect "yes sir" all tools/potential player that never seems to add up to the sum of his parts that the Gruden family loves. Glennon has attitude and perpetual unrealized potential that feeds both their egos perfectly.

On 9/18/2013 at 4:36 PM, Just Win Baby said:

I watched every game Glennon played in college, and I would be shocked if he is ever an effective NFL starter.

Also, he has a strong arm, but some posters are overstating that in here... I certainly wouldn't call it a rocket arm.

At least I get one right occasionally...

ETA: Just skimmed back through the thread. Interesting how passionately many posters, especially Tampa fans, defended him and projected him forward in the offseason after his rookie year.

Edited by Just Win Baby

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone is happy with the "familiarity" new QB Mike Glennon has with the team's offense.  

Glennon spent 2019 in Oakland under Jon Gruden, and Jon's brother Jay is now the Jags' offensive coordinator. "For me, there's a comfort level from having a veteran presence in that room," Marrone said. "Having studied Mike quite a bit when he was coming out of N.C. State, and having a good background with him, I really feel he's going to help out football team in a lot of different ways." It's hard to see how Marrone's experience "studying" Glennon seven years ago is in any way relevant, but we digress. With Glennon the prohibitive favorite for No. 2 duties behind Gardner Minshew, the Jags are set up to have one of the worst quarterback rooms in recent memory. 

SOURCE: jaguars.com 

May 9, 2020, 10:40 AM ET

3 hours ago, Just Win Baby said:

At least I get one right occasionally...

ETA: Just skimmed back through the thread. Interesting how passionately many posters, especially Tampa fans, defended him and projected him forward in the offseason after his rookie year.

Oh there was one Tampa fan in here vigorously not defending him. 

• Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

Report: Jags QB Gardner Minshew has multiple fractures, strained ligament in thumb

Excerpt:

Knowing that Minshew has an injured thumb gives some context to his recent poor play. He’s had some passing issues over the last few weeks and this injury is likely part of that. His recent struggles actually led head coach Doug Marrone to threaten to bench Minshew in the middle of a game if he wasn’t cutting it.

If Minshew’s thumb sidelines him in Week 9, backup quarterback Mike Glennon would likely start in his place. With Marrone recently threatening to bench Minshew in favor of Glennon, we know that he’s at least considered what his offense would look like with Glennon throwing the passes.

16 minutes ago, Helaire-ious said:

Why not see what they have in Luton instead? Not like the team is winning anything this year.

I'd like to see both of them. I always thought Glennon had talent.  But Luton impressed in preseason.

The injury makes sense in terms of some of the throws I see from Uncle Rico. It looked like the ball was just being "pushed" out there, no spiral at all, probaly because he wasn't able to get a good grip on the ball. He missed Chark on one wide open throw when it looked like the ball just rolled into the air off the top of his fingers, like a bball free throw.

• 4 weeks later...

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Mike Glennon will start Week 12 against the Browns.

Glennon will replace Jake Luton after Luton threw four interceptions in a loss to the Steelers last week.  Gardner Minshew (thumb) isn't ready to return, clearing the way for Glennon to start. The move to Glennon is surprising for a one-win Jaguars team. 30-year-old Glennon is a journeyman with a career 60% completion percentage. This will likely be a one-week spot start for Glennon. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Nov 25, 2020, 9:10 AM ET

Mike Glennon completed 20-of-35 passes for 235 yards and two touchdowns in the Jaguars' Week 12 loss to the Browns.

Glennon generally took what the Browns defense gave him but missed a number of easy throws that most starters would make. Notably, he had Keelan Cole open for a long touchdown in the first half but wasn't able to connect with him. He averaged just 6.7 yards per attempt and completed 57 percent of his passes. Glennon is nothing more than a placeholder quarterback. The offense should improve slightly once Gardner Minshew returns.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Mike Glennon will start Week 13 against the Vikings.

Glennon will remain the starter after averaging 6.7 YPA and completing 57 percent of his passes in a loss to the Browns. Gardner Minshew (thumb) has been cleared to return, but the Jaguars are sticking with journeyman Glennon for another game. Marrone said Jacksonville "could end up with a different starting quarterback each week depending on how things go." The one-win Jaguars will turn back to Jake Luton or Minshew if Glennon struggles.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Dec 2, 2020, 9:23 AM ET

Mike Glennon threw ten deep balls in Week 13 against the Vikings, more than any quarterback in the NFL. 

Glennon threw for 280 yards, a touchdown, and a pick in the Jaguars' overtime loss to Minnesota. Nearly 24 percent of his passes were more than 20 yards downfield, according to Pro Football Focus. In Week 12 against the Browns, Glennon was third among all QBs in deep shots. It's certainly not unwelcome news for D.J. Chark, the team's primary downfield receiver who led the Jags in targets in Week 13. Glennon, quite shockingly, is a solid superflex option if he keeps the starting gig. He gets the Titans and their horrific secondary in Week 14. 

RELATED: 

D.J. Chark

Dec 7, 2020, 12:27 PM ET

Mike Glennon was benched in the third quarter of the Jaguars' Week 14 game against the Titans with Jacksonville trailing 31-3. 

So ends one of the most transparent tank jobs in NFL history. Glennon was 13-of-23 for a pitiful 85 yards before being yanked. He tossed an awful interception on a deep ball where he underthrew his man in 1-on-1 coverage. Glennon's favorite throws were "bad deep balls in a crowd." It was a simply abysmal performance. Hopefully this ends this experiment ahead of Week 15 against the Lions. Gardner Minshew is hardly a world beater, but he is a legitimate NFL quarterback. 31-year-old Glennon isn't at this point of his career. 

Dec 13, 2020, 3:02 PM ET

• 2 weeks later...

The Jaguars will start Mike Glennon in Week 16 against Chicago.

Jacksonville is sending Gardner Minshew to the bench for the second time this season. Glennon "earned the start" by outplaying Minshew in practice this week. Starting a journeyman on an expiring contract is another step in the wrong direction for an organization that should be giving evaluation reps to Minshew or sixth-rounder Jake Luton. Glennon, who didn't make it out of the third quarter in his Week 14 start, will again be at risk of an in-game benching.

RELATED: 

Gardner Minshew

SOURCE: Hays Carlyon on Twitter

Dec 26, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

Never thought I'd have to do another Mike Glennon blurb in 2020 but here I am

Mike Glennon completed 24-of-37 passes for 211 yards, two touchdowns, and two interceptions in the Jaguars' 41-17, Week 16 loss to the Bears.

With the loss and the Jets' Week 16 win over the shorthanded Browns, the Jaguars have clinched the No. 1 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft. Glennon's two picks were in his own end of the field, and both went to LB Roquan Smith. Glennon has a 3:5 TD:INT mark over his last three starts. His two scores in this one went to D.J. Chark and Laviska Shenault. It's unclear if the Jaguars will go back to Gardner Minshew or keep Glennon under center for Week 17 against the Colts now that they've locked up the top pick in the draft.

- Rotoworld

Edited by The Frankman

Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said Mike Glennon will start Week 17 against the Colts.

The Jaguars are sticking with journeyman Glennon for a meaningless game. Glennon has lost all four of his starts this year with a 39.6 QBR and 5:5 TD/INT ratio. Jacksonville has already locked up the No. 1 overall pick. They can knock the Colts out of the playoffs with a win in Week 17.

SOURCE: NFL Network

Dec 30, 2020, 9:39 AM ET

Are they like trying to get a head start on next year's tanking?

Dumb Q - is he still under contract for next year? Is this an audition some sorta mentor/Fitz thing?  Guess they really do see that much of a difference in the locker room.

-QG