Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

QB Mike Glennon, Jaguars

Faust

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Ed Werder reports the Bucs have "no plans" to trade QB Mike Glennon.

We could have guessed as much after coach Lovie Smith came out and said following the draft that he sees Glennon as the Bucs' "quarterback of the future." Josh McCown is going to get every opportunity to earn the starting job, but he's 35 years old. Glennon has three years left on his rookie deal.

Yesterday he was as good as gone, and now they have no plans to move him. I know it's pretty obvious at this point, but the media has absolutely no clue what in the Hell they're talking about.

Sure... teams that love their young QBs sit them all the time when they're heading into their 2nd season as a starter.

They needed a veteran QB. I don't think it's fair to say McCown will start over Glennon regardless of training camp and/or preseason performance. I'm hoping for an open competition.

Sure... teams that love their young QBs sit them all the time when they're heading into their 2nd season as a starter.

What's the ideal timeline for a 2nd level starter to see get the job? Year 2 or 3? I don't think it was ideal for Glennon to start last year.

Yesterday he was as good as gone, and now they have no plans to move him. I know it's pretty obvious at this point, but the media has absolutely no clue what in the Hell they're talking about.

They needed a veteran QB. I don't think it's fair to say McCown will start over Glennon regardless of training camp and/or preseason performance. I'm hoping for an open competition.

This. Glennon is still very much in the running to start. If it's a competition I think he wins it easily. Lovie may just want to roll with his guy, though. Edited by jurb26

Call me cynical, but I think the QBOTF Lovie-speak is just damage control. They were looking to deal Glennon if they could land a guy by moving up with their 2nd pick that they viewed as a franchise QB in this draft (probably a short list of Bortles and maybe Manziel) but that didn't happen. So it costs nothing to smooth things over and call Glennon the QBOTF -- until next year when they have another chance to get the QB they really want. You don't bring in a 35 year old journeyman and anoint him your starter if you believe in Glennon, when a young QB's biggest improvement leap is typically in years 2-3.

I have Glennon rated higher than any qb in this draft. Manz is super hype, and no other qb will have a season like Glennon IMO. I think lovie took a look at the prospects and said, wow, ok we have a better qb than any of these and moved to draft anything offensive to support josh and mike.

Apparently Glennon was a highly pursued player during the draft.

(KFFL)Tampa Bay Buccaneers turned down a half dozen trade requests from teams looking to acquire QB Mike Glennon. "There's a lot of interest and we want to keep Mike,'' Bucs general manager Jason Licht said Saturday. "(They were) just feeling it out. I know that Mike has a very good reputation throughout the league as far as his developmental future."

(Web Site Link)

http://www.kffl.com

Edited by jurb26
  • Like 1

They needed a veteran QB.

Why?

Short answer. NFL teams need more than one quarterback. McCown was/is an insurance policy.

McCown was signed before Lovie and Licht had the opportunity to even see Mike Glennon play. They had seen film of course, but they hadn't seen him on the practice field until the mini-camp a few weeks ago. They passed on every QB in this draft multiple times. They added pieces at every level of the offense except QB. That speaks volumes on how they feel about Glennon.

Why?

Short answer. NFL teams need more than one quarterback. McCown was/is an insurance policy.

McCown was signed before Lovie and Licht had the opportunity to even see Mike Glennon play. They had seen film of course, but they hadn't seen him on the practice field until the mini-camp a few weeks ago. They passed on every QB in this draft multiple times. They added pieces at every level of the offense except QB. That speaks volumes on how they feel about Glennon.

How many teams in the league are paying as much for a veteran QB "insurance policy" as Tampa is paying McCown?

Why?

How many teams in the league are paying as much for a veteran QB "insurance policy" as Tampa is paying McCown?

Not sure of the exact #'s but Cassel and Schaub are both making comparable salaries in similar situations.

Why?

Not sure of the exact #'s but Cassel and Schaub are both making comparable salaries in similar situations.

How is the Oakland situation similar? Who is the equivalent to Glennon?

The Minnesota situation is not similar. They have Cassell as a veteran who can allow Bridgewater to watch and learn. Glennon already played the majority of his rookie season.

Do you not see the differences, or do you for some reason view them as irrelevant?

Why?

How is the Oakland situation similar? Who is the equivalent to Glennon?

The Minnesota situation is not similar. They have Cassell as a veteran who can allow Bridgewater to watch and learn. Glennon already played the majority of his rookie season.

Do you not see the differences, or do you for some reason view them as irrelevant?

There are no differences to the point of the discussion. They're all getting paid a lot to be insurance policies.

Josh McCown: Mike Glennon has Hall of Fame potential

By Ryan Maquinana NFL.com

In a matter of one week, Mike Glennon went from as good as gone to being reaffirmed by new coach Lovie Smith as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' quarterback of the future.

Now the guy Glennon will presumably hold a clipboard for in 2014 has taken the praise for the second-year signal-caller to another level with three magic words.

"My hope is that one day Mike Glennon is a Hall of Famer," McCown told reporters in a post-draft news conference from One Buccaneer Place on Tuesday.

The 34-year-old McCown is cognizant that he's in the twilight of his career. However, after a tremendous eight-game stretch with the Chicago Bears last season that led him to join the Bucs on a two-year contract, Smith anointed McCown the starter in March -- a move that had NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reporting that Glennon could be had in exchange for a second-round draft pick.

But the draft came and went, with new general manager Jason Licht passing on a quarterback all three days and reportedly rebuffing at least a half-dozen trade offers for Glennon. So much for dealing him.

Now Glennon will join McCown and newly acquired third-stringer Mike Kafka on the depth chart in new coordinator Jeff Tedford's offense. Despite the former Cal coach admitting during his introductory news conference that he planned to scale back on his notoriously gargantuan playbook in his first season with the Bucs, McCown revealed that every time one learns a new offense, it can be "overwhelming."

But the new No. 1 QB did state that the personnel appears to be "very similar" to his 2013 targets in that he'll be throwing to big receivers like Vincent Jackson and first-round pick Mike Evans, lauding "the catch radius of those guys" and "being able to put the ball in those spots."

As for Glennon, McCown cited the young quarterback's physical tools to lend credence to the lofty Hall of Fame talk.

"He throws the ball well," McCown said. "His arm strength is obviously well above-average. He can spin it."

Whether or not Glennon's cannon carries him into Canton one day -- much less above McCown on the depth chart -- remains to be seen.

The "Around The League Podcast" wrapped up the draft by picking our winners and losers.

This is looking more and more like a situation destined for a training camp competition between Glennon and McCown.

Lovie reaffirmed on the radio this morning that McCown is the unanimous starter. He was asked directly if it would be an open competition, and he dodged the question by basically saying "all of their players have to compete for their jobs." He wouldn't directly say there would be a competition. Sadly, it sounds like Glennon will have to be head and shoulders more impressive than McCown for him to earn the starting job.

Man has the local spin turned on him in a week. From a sure-fire out the door last week to an active member on the team talking about his Hall of Fame potential. :lmao:

Man I sure hope I'm wrong on this guy. I really loved Bridgewater.

You've gotta love how these kind of comments get spun by the media and fans. Here's what he actually said:

"My hope is that one day Mike Glennon is a Hall of Famer," McCown told reporters in a post-draft news conference from One Buccaneer Place on Tuesday.

He didn't say he would be a Hall of Famer or that he even had HOF potential. What's wrong with what he said? All McCown is saying he's going to do his best to tutor Mike and provide veteran leadership to help him be the best QB he can be.

I hope Glennon is a Hall of Famer too. Doesn't mean I expect him to be.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Interesting link showing Glennon to own the weakest arm at the combine in the past few years. Scroll down to the guy with the 49 MPH fastball. Not that arm strength alone correlates to winning but none of the names on the lower portion of the arm speed scale are too inspiring either.

http://blogs.ourlads.com/2013/03/27/quarterback-ball-velocity-at-nfl-combine-2008-2012/

Interesting link showing Glennon to own the weakest arm at the combine in the past few years. Scroll down to the guy with the 49 MPH fastball. Not that arm strength alone correlates to winning but none of the names on the lower portion of the arm speed scale are too inspiring either.

Interesting that the link shows Russell Wilson at 55mph. He had an opening day Mariners pitch go around 75mph (don't believe the hype that said it was in the 95mph range). Caveat: throwing a football fast and a fastball in baseball are definitely different.

Edited by Riffraff

This is just strange. I've read this before and never really understood it to be honest. Didn't Glennon win one of those pointless offseason long ball contests before the draft? Like 75 yds in the air IIRC. How could he throw it so far there and then throw softballs at the combine?

This is just strange. I've read this before and never really understood it to be honest. Didn't Glennon win one of those pointless offseason long ball contests before the draft? Like 75 yds in the air IIRC. How could he throw it so far there and then throw softballs at the combine?

Maybe he dials it down to improve his accuracy.

Buccaneers now sold on Mike Glennon as long-term QB

By Marc Sessler

Around the League Writer

The Bucs are back on the Mike Glennon Express.

After months of lukewarm praise and hints that last year's rookie starter might be shopped, general manager Jason Licht now says Tampa's new regime became sold on Glennon as the long-term answer at quarterback during coach Lovie Smith's first volunteer minicamp.

"We looked at all the tape of last year," Licht told SiriusXM NFL Radio's Alex Marvez on Tuesday. "Having him in the building and going through that first minicamp with him and seeing how he was in meetings and interacted with the team -- and more importantly how he was on the field -- just secured our feelings of how we evaluated him and felt about him."

Said Licht: "That really helped with our draft strategy."

Perhaps. But NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted that Tampa's "strategy" included a willingness to shop Glennon if the team could net a second-round pick in return for Josh McCown's backup. That plan fizzled up after the Bucs passed on a rookie signal-caller to draft receiver Mike Evans at No. 7 overall.

Tampa reportedly rejected trade requests from at least half a dozen teams, leading Licht to say after the draft: "There's a lot of interest and we want to keep Mike."

Licht went on to tell Marvez that he and Smith rate Glennon high in terms of what the regime values in a passer: toughness, intelligence and accuracy, with arm strength "maybe a distant fourth," per the GM.

"Mike showed during this process that he had those three things and scored very high marks," said Licht.

The new zeal for Glennon feels highly convenient, but the quarterback himself told reporters this week that he knew he was part of the plan from the start.

"From the moment they signed Josh, they told me, 'Lovie knows Josh, he has a comfort level with Josh.' Moving forward ... he saw me as the guy," Glennon said. "And after minicamp both Jason and Lovie continued to tell me this. I knew what was happening the whole time."

The latest "Around The League Podcast" plays the post-draft version of the game "What's More Likely" and breaks down all the latest news.

Edited by Faust

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on NFL Insiders that Mike Glennon will "certainly" compete with Josh McCown for the Buccaneers' starting quarterback job.

Per Schefter, Glennon has changed minds inside the organization since the new coaching staff and front office have gotten to meet him. He's "truly impressed" and "opened up some eyes," per Schefter. There were rumors on draft weekend the Bucs wanted to trade Glennon, specifically for a second-round pick. We're still not sold the Bucs are all in on the third-round pick they inherited from the Mark Dominik regime, but Glennon remains someone to monitor with Tampa Bay's improved weaponry. It's conceivable that both Glennon and 35-year-old journeyman McCown will make 2014 starts.
Related: Josh McCown

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Schefter stated on NFL Insiders that Mike Glennon will "certainly" compete with Josh McCown for the Buccaneers' starting quarterback job.

Per Schefter, Glennon has changed minds inside the organization since the new coaching staff and front office have gotten to meet him. He's "truly impressed" and "opened up some eyes," per Schefter. There were rumors on draft weekend the Bucs wanted to trade Glennon, specifically for a second-round pick. We're still not sold the Bucs are all in on the third-round pick they inherited from the Mark Dominik regime, but Glennon remains someone to monitor with Tampa Bay's improved weaponry. It's conceivable that both Glennon and 35-year-old journeyman McCown will make 2014 starts.

You should have been able to see this coming a mile away.

I personally hope they pass on QB in this draft, land at least two impact weapons on offense, and Glennon decisively beats McCown out in camp. Best case scenario for the future.

2 out of 3 so far. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Rotoworld:

Bucs GM Jason Licht said he had conversations with the Cardinals around the draft regarding QB Mike Glennon.

Ultimately, the Bucs decided to keep Glennon after putting him on the trade block. They claim that's because they had a change of heart, but it's also possible that they simply weren't satisfied with compensation. Regardless, it's further confirmation that there's no real quarterback "battle" in Tampa -- Josh McCown is their starter. Meanwhile, the Cardinals drafted 34-year-old Carson Palmer's possible successor in fourth-round pick Logan Thomas.

Related: Cardinals

Source: Mike Jurecki on Twitter

Jun 11 - 9:08 AM

• 1 month later...

Rotoworld:

Coach Lovie Smith confirmed Mike Glennon will be the Bucs' No. 2 quarterback this season.

The Buccaneers attempted to perform post-draft damage control after trying to trade Glennon in May by claiming he'd compete with Josh McCown to start. That didn't last long. "Mike will have a role on our team," Lovie insisted. "The backup quarterback plays an important [role]. Not only that, Mike will also be our second holder. Little things like that that well ask him to do."

Source: buccaneers.com

Aug 7 - 12:49 AM

• 1 month later...

Rotoworld:

Mike Glennon - QB - Buccaneers

Playing in relief of an injured Josh McCown (thumb), Mike Glennon completed 17-of-24 passes for 121 yards and a touchdown in Tampa Bay's 56-14, Week 3 loss to the Falcons.

Glennon technically didn't commit any turnovers, but had a snap sail over his head. The Falcons recovered, setting up shop at the Bucs' two-yard line. Glennon later had another miscommunication with C Evan Dietrich-Smith, lining up in shotgun with EDS thought he was under center. It was hard to evaluate Glennon with the game so out of hand, but he looked better than McCown has this season, though he averaged a measly 5.0 yards per attempt. He found Vincent Jackson for a three-yard score in the fourth quarter. McCown's hand was heavily wrapped after his departure, making him look like a long-shot for Week 4. If Glennon starts, he'll do so on the road against the Steelers, and be a bottom-barrel QB2 as the Bucs search for an offensive identity.

Sep 18 - 11:47 PM

Maybe guys were getting open last night but he continues to check down. That was his issue last year and the All-22 frequently showed guys open deep. He did throw a beautiful deep ball last night that was dropped and he did look bigger so maybe there is hope. But I don't think he sees the field very well.

Maybe guys were getting open last night but he continues to check down. That was his issue last year and the All-22 frequently showed guys open deep. He did throw a beautiful deep ball last night that was dropped and he did look bigger so maybe there is hope. But I don't think he sees the field very well.

He was a rookie last year, right?

Can't run in between the tackles and can't pass block. Get a healthy Martin back there and figure out how to open some holes. It really doesn't matter who plays QB at this point because whoever it is won't have any time for receivers to come open. McCown at least hung in against the pass rush as long as he could. Glennon just dumped down when the game was way out of hand against a defense that wasn't teeing off anymore. I think it would be hasty and unfair to make a change at this point if McCown isn't hurt.

See what they have? The guy played all year last year.

Yeah, and he was pretty good. Clearly the best rookie QB last year. Why he isn't the starter already mind boggling.

NFL players experience progression and regression from prior years, so it might be worthwhile to see what they have this year with Glennon.

Buccaneers' Josh McCown to undergo MRI on thumb

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000397115/article/buccaneers-josh-mccown-to-undergo-mri-on-thumb

Excerpt:

It would be a natural time for the Buccaneers to consider changing quarterbacks even if McCown was healthy. He's made a lot of mental mistakes this year that you don't expect out of a veteran. The Bucs have an intriguing backup in Mike Glennon, although he also struggled quite a bit in relief Thursday night.

"I thought Mike came in and did some good things," coach Lovie Smith said. "There weren't a whole lot of bright spots tonight but for a guy, you know, your backup quarterback doesn't get a whole lot of reps. I thought Mike jumped in right away, he was eager to play. If there's something bright that came out of this game, it was probably his play."

The Buccaneers have more problems than just the quarterback position. But giving Glennon a shot to run the team when McCown is less than 100 percent makes a lot of sense.