What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (4 Viewers)

austinball

Footballguy
IF you believe that Chip Kelly's offense will run the up tempo, most-plays-run-per-game pace that they have in the preseason, how does DeSean Jackson not have a GREAT season, aside from injury?

I dont feel like the kid has been talked about much so far, and Im sure its because he's been very inconsistent for the past 2 (3?) years.

But if he stays healthy, then it doesn't matter if Vick or Folk are QB, as without Maclin, he's the man. Lots and lots of targets getting DJ in space and i'm thinking about really good things for the kid.

I haven't drafted yet, but as I finalize my rankings I'm thinking a strong WR2 just ahead of Bowe, Amendola, and Garcon...

Last edited by a moderator:
IF you believe that Chip Kelly's offense will run the up tempo, most-plays-run-per-game pace that they have in the preseason, how does DeSean Jackson not have a GREAT season, aside from injury?

I dont feel like the kid has been talked about much so far, and Im sure its because he's been very inconsistent for the past 2 (3?) years.

But if he stays healthy, then it doesn't matter if Vick or Folk are QB, as without Maclin, he's the man. Lots and lots of targets getting DJ in space and i'm thinking about really good things for the kid.

I haven't drafted yet, but as I finalize my rankings I'm thinking a strong WR2 just ahead of Bowe, Amendola, and Garcon...
Love DJax, but there's 0% I'd rank him ahead of any of those 3.

No way ahead of danny boy. I dont really like alex smith to bowe and not sure what to think of garcon yet and his injury history. That said djax could very well have a career year in this offense

Djax will have some big games but too inconsistent for me. Add in the injury concerns and the qb questions and I think it's best to avoid unless he's on the cheap

But if he stays healthy, then it doesn't matter if Vick or Folk Foles* are QB, as without Maclin, he's the man. Lots and lots of targets getting DJ in space and i'm thinking about really good things for the kid.

Fear with D Jax is that, even with an increased number of plays per game, Kelly is going to run the ball a lot more than under Reid. Eagles are also going to look to spread the field with more receivers so that when they do pass, run bubble screens, reverses, etc, there are going to be a lot of possible targets for Vick than just Jackson.

When was the last time Jackson played 16 games?
Played in 71 out of 80 possible games in his career... :shrug:

The quick WR bubble screen is a staple of Kelly's offense. It's one his "zone read" type plays, and is basically an extension of a running play. If you have 3 big TEs, and Riley Cooper, and little DeSean Jackson... which one do you want running with the ball, and which do you want blocking? Seems obvious to me he's in for a big year esp. in PPR leagues. Jackson has traditionally been a deep threat, but he's never played in a Kelly offense.

Kelly favors the WR bubble screen over any kind of traditional NFL-RB screen play.

http://fishduck.com/2013/06/take-and-give-oregons-bubble-zone-read-philosophy/

http://fishduck.com/2013/07/ducks-add-the-long-ball-the-power-of-the-bubble-zone-read/

I wouldn't call you crazy for ranking him above any of those WRs, but there's no need to draft him ahead of Amendola or Bowe unless you know your league can substantially deviate from ADP. Ahead of Garcon, absolutely.

Considering the high number of offensive snaps, is it possible we see a re-emergence of Jackson this year? Isn't this a contract year as well?

Considering the high number of offensive snaps, is it possible we see a re-emergence of Jackson this year? Isn't this a contract year as well?
Yes we could see a reemergence and no it's not a contract year. He's signed through 2016 but they could always cut him if he plays awful.

I see this a lot in regards to discussions surrounding Eagles skill players and their projections. However, there are two parts to this equation. The Eagles D was putrid last year and I don't think they will be much improved this season. Part of running a lot of offensive plays is the ability of your defense to get the opposing offense off the field. Something that I think they will struggle with.

There is little doubt that Chip WANTS to run more offensive plays and run uptempo at almost all times, but wanting it and executing it are two different animals. It is fair to project an uptick in total offensive plays this season but to expect a considerable delta in year one is overly optimistic, IMO.

Djax will have some big games but too inconsistent for me. Add in the injury concerns and the qb questions and I think it's best to avoid unless he's on the cheap
End of rd 6 as a WR3 in a 12 team PPR? Too early?
Depends who else was on the board, but that seems ok to me. I just tend to stay away from old djax. And I'm an Eagles fan
Got DJax at pick 79 in a 10-team league here in Philadelphia. Guessing most people were skittish like you. Not really a guy I was targeting, but couldn't pass him up there.

DeSean Jackson is free money in the 7th round or later. There is what exactly in Philadelphia? Maclin gone for the season, Jackson will get plenty of targets. Barring an injury which is a factor but it looks like this could be a big year for DeSean and his owners.

I'll take him for his 12-13 healthy games and grab a guy who posted back to back 1,000+ seasons on his resume, avg 17.5 ypc so he only needs to haul in about 4 balls a week and he is paying dividends. I'll take my chances with him in the 7th over others who seem to be taken with high hopes but no resume to match Mr Jackson.

I think David Dods called for a career year, in terms of receptions, this is the year Jackson busts thru that 65-70 mark. 75/1,200/8TD...he already did 62/1150/9TD so it's not really a stretch.

Is DeSean a sell high? His FF totals can't continue, can they? I believe that his value is tied to Vick and I dont see Vick holding up throughout the year. What say you guys?

There's no way I sell him. He is that offense and is being put in a position to succeed and get a ton of targets. Ride him till he breaks.

Is DeSean a sell high? His FF totals can't continue, can they? I believe that his value is tied to Vick and I dont see Vick holding up throughout the year. What say you guys?
I don't know that Foles taking over hurts him, and it may just help him since Foles won't run himself as much as Vick does.

Jackson had a legitimate shot at 3 long TDs yesterday, he and Vick were just a bit off on 2 of those missed chances.

I don't know that Foles taking over hurts him, and it may just help him since Foles won't run himself as much as Vick does.

Jackson had a legitimate shot at 3 long TDs yesterday, he and Vick were just a bit off on 2 of those missed chances.
Oh no...you don't own DJax too??!?!?

Oh no...you don't own DJax too??!?!?
In 2 leagues :yes:

Should I change my username to G00chus?

He was literally behind the SD defense four times. Vick missed him twice, once off his fingertips, then paydirt.

im torn on jackson, part of me wants to sell high... but part of me wants to see if he can be a legit #1 fantasy WR in this offense.

somone else made a good point.... the NFC east appears to have just abysmal defenses this year.... maybe this good play continues since he has 5 more NFC east games left (4 in fantasy reg season)

Rotoworld:

Philly.com's Jimmy Kempski reports there is an "opinion among some in the Eagles' organization" that DeSean Jackson's personality is "not a great fit" with the team's locker room culture, and the Eagles "could be open to trading him."
This isn't the first D-Jax trade whisper. Per Kempski, the Eagles are "not going to shop Jackson" because doing so would cost them leverage, but "if another team came calling, the Eagles certainly wouldn't laugh and hang up." Even if the odds remain low that Jackson will be shipped off, they grew when the Eagles re-signed Riley Cooper and Jeremy Maclin. Philly also has an excellent tight end group, and Damaris Johnson, Jeff Maehl, and Arrelious Benn as wideout depth.

Source: Philly.com

No idea what the Eagles would want for him, but DeSean opposite T.Y. Hilton = good luck.

Is DeSean Jackson in danger of being released by the Eagles?

By Josh Katzowitz | NFL Writer

March 5, 2014 2:37 pm ET

Eagles receiver DeSean Jackson is coming off the best season of his career. During Philadelphia's run to the playoffs and the NFC East title, he carved out career highs with 82 catches, 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns. Pretty darn good, right?

Yes, but that doesn't mean Jackson isn't in danger of losing his job.

Geoff Mosher of CSNPhilly.com told PFT Live on Wednesday that Jackson could be "one false step" away from getting cut.

One reason why might be because Jackson, who just finished the second year of the five-year, $48.5 million contract he signed before the 2012 season, talked about wanting a new deal in January, saying, "I definitely feel it's something deserving. We'll see how that plays out. Hopefully, we can work things out smoothly and not have to worry about anything out of the ordinary."

Plus, as PFT points out, there's a way to release him that wouldn't cost the Eagles that much money, writing, "Dumping him with a post-June 1 designation would result in a cap hit of only $2 million in 2014 and $4 million in 2015. It also would create $10.5 million that could be spent in 2014 or later on other players, like perhaps quarterback Nick Foles, who'll be eligible for a new deal after the coming season."

Also, there have been times when Jackson didn't get along so well with receivers coach Bob Bicknell. For example ...

(click on the link to see the video clip)

So, that's the theory on why Jackson could be cut. Will it happen? In my opinion, it's unlikely, because Jackson still is a No. 1 receiver.

But if Jackson draws the ire of Kelly again or continues to crow about wanting a new deal -- even though 2013 was actually the first season in which he caught more than 62 passes in a year -- perhaps the team will figure it's better just to get rid of him rather than pay him a ton more money.

It probably won't happen, but with free agency rapidly coming our way, it's something to consider.

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer reports DeSean Jackson "isn't close to being cut," and the Eagles "aren't actively shopping" him.
Beat writer Jeff McLane tweeted that the "rumors have little weight," and "the madness needed to be stopped." McLane's colleague at the Inquirer, Jimmy Kempski, got the ball rolling on the Jackson rumors last weekend, saying "some in the organization" don't believe Jackson's personality is a fit and the Eagles "could be open to trading him." Obviously, Kempski wasn't saying Jackson was going to be traded. But these rumors have taken off a bit in recent days. Jackson is coming off a career season and is the only outside big-play threat in Philadelphia. He'll be back for another season with coach Chip Kelly.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News

So let me get this straight: we have a white guy last year call another dude the n-word on video, not only do we not cut him, but we give him $10 mil after an 800 yard season.

Then on the other end, we have a guy coming off the 2nd most receiving yards in team history and his 3rd Probowl at age 25, and HE is in danger of being cut because he doesn't fit in?

OK.

So let me get this straight: we have a white guy last year call another dude the n-word on video, not only do we not cut him, but we give him $10 mil after an 800 yard season.

Then on the other end, we have a guy coming off the 2nd most receiving yards in team history and his 3rd Probowl at age 25, and HE is in danger of being cut because he doesn't fit in?

OK.
:lmao:

OK.
As the season was finishing up, he "answered a question" about a new deal. Act is probably getting old. :shrug:

Riley Cooper got drunk at a concert and said something really stupid. There's no excuse for it, but the team felt comfortable with him going forward. DeSean Jackson has a history of being a problem in the locker room. I trust Chip Kelly and Howie Roseman. If they think he's not a good fit, might as well get rid of him now while he has value. Once his speed is gone, he'll have little to no value in the NFL.

Report: DeSean Jackson draws interest from Patriots, 49ersBy Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

This didn't take long to escalate.

Mere hours after we pointed out that recent trade speculation isn't sitting well with DeSean Jackson, a report has surfaced that the Philadelphia Eagles are listening to offers for the Pro Bowl wide receiver.

Citing a league source, CSN Philly's Derrick Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking at least a third-round draft pick "and potentially more" in return for Jackson. The team has already heard from the San Francisco 49ers and New England Patriots, per Gunn.

The 49ers are an interesting match, as they are desperate for a speed element in the passing game and Jackson played collegiately in the Bay Area at Cal.

The "Around The League Podcast" breaks down the latest free agency moves and highlights a few under-the-radar signings.

OK.
Ahh the worlds executives doing what they do best, getting rid of the people with opposing views.

Rotoworld take:

CSN Philly reports the Eagles are "listening to offers" for DeSean Jackson, and have "taken inquiries" from the 49ers and Patriots.
Per reporter Derrick Gunn, the Eagles still aren't actively shopping D-Jax, but have notified him they're "listening to potential suitors." Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking "at least" a third-round pick for their No. 1 receiver, and "potentially more." There's enough smoke here that it might eventually turn to fire, but Jackson's contract makes him a tall order to trade. Coming off a career year, Jackson is due $10.5 million in 2014, and $9.75 million in each of the next two seasons.

Related: 49ers, Patriots

Source: CSN Philly

Rotoworld take:

CSN Philly reports the Eagles are "listening to offers" for DeSean Jackson, and have "taken inquiries" from the 49ers and Patriots.
Per reporter Derrick Gunn, the Eagles still aren't actively shopping D-Jax, but have notified him they're "listening to potential suitors." Gunn reports the Eagles are seeking "at least" a third-round pick for their No. 1 receiver, and "potentially more." There's enough smoke here that it might eventually turn to fire, but Jackson's contract makes him a tall order to trade. Coming off a career year, Jackson is due $10.5 million in 2014, and $9.75 million in each of the next two seasons.

Related: 49ers, Patriots

Source: CSN Philly
No guaranteed money though.

Report: 49ers, Patriots have inquired about DeSean Jackson

By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

March 18, 2014 5:53 pm ET

Last season, DeSean Jackson put up huge numbers -- 82 receptions for 1,332 yards and nine touchdowns -- but the former second-round pick continues to find himself at the center of rumors that he could be traded or released.

It seems peculiar given his productivity, but speculation is that his personality doesn't mesh with coach Chip Kelly, he doesn't get along with his receivers coach, and that he might want a new contract (even though he's just two years into a five-year, $51 million deal).

And while the Eagles reportedly aren't actively shopping Jackson, they'll answer the phone if other teams want to talk. According to CSNPhilly.com's Derrick Gunn, the 49ers and Patriots have made inquiries. Gunn adds that Philly is looking for "at least a third-round pick and potentially more."

San Francisco needs depth behind Michael Crabtree and Anquan Boldin, but New England, with Julian Edelman and Danny Amendola, appears all stocked up on speedy, undersized wideouts

Meanwhile, CSNPhilly.com's Geoff Mosher pointed out earlier this month that Jackson may have played his last game for the Eagles.

"For a variety of reasons, mostly financial, Jackson's days with the Eagles are likely numbered," Mosher wrote on March 5. "His salary this year jumps to more than $10 million and remains over $9 million annually through 2016. His lithe body frame doesn't really fit with coach Chip Kelly's preference for big bullies. And despite his world-class speed, Jackson isn't an irreplaceable piece of Kelly's spread offense, which also features NFL leading rusher LeSean McCoy and rising tight end Zach Ertz."

Over the weekend, Kelly was asked about Jackson, and in a typical Kelly response, he offered no clue into what he was really thinking.

“[Jackson] is a player at receiver before Maclin behind Cooper," he said. "Or is it Cooper before Maclin? Or Maclin before Cooper? So I'll check what you write then I'll tell you what we feel about him.”

In terms of production, Jackson ranked fifth in value-per-play last season, according to Football Outsiders' WR metric, behind only Demaryius Thomas, Boldin, Jordy Nelson and Eric Decker.

Users who are viewing this thread