What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (2 Viewers)

Besides about 100 Eagles fans, does anyone else have an issue with Desean Jackson going on vacation right now?
doubt it
Ross Tucker@RossTuckerNFL 3h
If you can't see why DeSean Jackson posting vacation pictures while new teammates are working out is poor form I can't help you
Its also on the front page of CSNWashington, "Should DeSean Have Skipped Vacation?", so someone else cares. And as Mike Florio points out:

He’s got every right to do that. The workouts are voluntary. But Jackson could have scored plenty of points with the fans, his teammates, and the media by ditching the vacation plans and showing up. Given Jackson’s recent experiences, the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.

Perhaps the comment was a joke, if not i think it does give insight into the importance Desean thinks he has.

is it some horrible red flag that he is going to be a bust? no, but it is something he said, and there's nothing wrong with it being reported.
It was. He was laughing as he was talking about jersey numbers. He got asked a question, and instead of making any serious comments about the team, or Griffin, giving him his number, he joked it off as a non-factor (at least a few local reporters/beat writers made note of this). But the text of his comments spread without any context and was quickly spun to fit a stereotype.

Besides about 100 Eagles fans, does anyone else have an issue with Desean Jackson going on vacation right now?
doubt it

If you can't see why DeSean Jackson posting vacation pictures while new teammates are working out is poor form I can't help you
Its also on the front page of CSNWashington, "Should DeSean Have Skipped Vacation?", so someone else cares. And as Mike Florio points out:He’s got every right to do that. The workouts are voluntary. But Jackson could have scored plenty of points with the fans, his teammates, and the media by ditching the vacation plans and showing up. Given Jackson’s recent experiences, the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.
The only reason this is a story at all is because there is nothing else to talk about right now. It will be forgotten in a few months and be long forgotten once DJax starts running by defenses on Sunday. So yeah, some people care but that doesn't change how irrelevant this really is.

doubt it

Its also on the front page of CSNWashington, "Should DeSean Have Skipped Vacation?", so someone else cares. And as Mike Florio points out:Hes got every right to do that. The workouts are voluntary. But Jackson could have scored plenty of points with the fans, his teammates, and the media by ditching the vacation plans and showing up. Given Jacksons recent experiences, the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.
So outside of 100 or so Eagles fans.....wait, what?

Guess they're bitter too :shrug:

doubt it
Its also on the front page of CSNWashington, "Should DeSean Have Skipped Vacation?", so someone else cares. And as Mike Florio points out:

He’s got every right to do that. The workouts are voluntary. But Jackson could have scored plenty of points with the fans, his teammates, and the media by ditching the vacation plans and showing up. Given Jackson’s recent experiences, the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.
I don't know any Redskin fans that are upset over this. Basically, it's the media that wants him to be there. He cleared it with the team during contract talks. It's not like he's the only guy missing from them.

the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.
A serious question: What good does a PR bump do him? I'm guessing any endoresement deals are already a thing of the past given the "Gang ties" reports - and if that isn't stopping them, this wouldn't either.

The fans will not care about this in a few days - even if he ends up as a failure as a Redskin, no one is going to say "If only he didn't take that vacation during volunraty workouts."

doubt it

I don't know any Redskin fans that are upset over this. Basically, it's the media that wants him to be there. He cleared it with the team during contract talks. It's not like he's the only guy missing from them.
Redskins fans are never upset around this time. The parade for the FA Winners just happened. You guys weren't even upset when you gave headstomper $100 mil.

doubt it

Its also on the front page of CSNWashington, "Should DeSean Have Skipped Vacation?", so someone else cares. And as Mike Florio points out:He’s got every right to do that. The workouts are voluntary. But Jackson could have scored plenty of points with the fans, his teammates, and the media by ditching the vacation plans and showing up. Given Jackson’s recent experiences, the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.
The only reason this is a story at all is because there is nothing else to talk about right now. It will be forgotten in a few months and be long forgotten once DJax starts running by defenses on Sunday. So yeah, some people care but that doesn't change how irrelevant this really is.
Exactly. Everyone has an opinion.

As long as nobody of consequence in the Redskins organization cares then so what? It's fodder for people who have an agenda or want to exacerbate certain things. If people really care about this then more power to them.

Come September what will matter is what the guy does on the field. Period.

And it's also funny to me that people take all of the negativity surrounding Jackson as gospel but give no credence to reports to the contrary. For example several people calling out his poor work habits and anonymous sources claiming he cussed out Chip Kelly multiple times. Yet Howard Eskine reported before he was released that he observed almost every practice and that Jackson practiced hard and had no issues whatsoever with Kelly.

But like I said, everyone has an opinion. We'll see what happens come September.

doubt it

Redskins fans are never upset around this time. The parade for the FA Winners just happened. You guys weren't even upset when you gave headstomper $100 mil.
Parade of FA Winners? Dream Team much?

doubt it

I know, its crazy right? Like when you guys signed the Dog Torturer?

Jay Gruden: We wanted to act fast when Eagles cut DeSean JacksonPosted by Michael David Smith on April 8, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT

Washington coach Jay Gruden wanted to act quickly when Philadelphia cut DeSean Jackson.

“He got released by Philadelphia, and as soon as that happened, it was, ‘Wow,’ for us,” Gruden said on SiriusXM NFL Radio, via CSNWashington.com. “Because obviously people around here have played against him a couple of times a year. Guys like that don’t come around very often and when they do, you have to do your due diligence, and you have to do whatever it takes to get the guy if you think he’s a fit. And we felt like he was a fit for us. So Bruce Allen [was] all systems go and made a play for him and [it] ended up working out to get him.”

Jackson made his first free agent visit to Washington, and Gruden said the whole organization was committed to persuading Jackson not to make any other visits.

“That was tough,” Gruden said of getting Jackson signed on his visit. “Bruce did some work. [Jackson’s] agent [Joel Segal] and [Allen], they went at it. I’m sure there was some talk about him going to [visit] other teams, [but] Bruce and DeSean’s agent hashed out a deal and DeSean agreed to it.”

Now Gruden needs to hope Jackson will make plenty of plays in Washington’s offense that make everyone say, “Wow.”

No way do I give this guy a big contract until he has proven that he is over his maturity issues. Redskins over paid hoping he would change as opposed to rewarding him after he has changed. That is a very dangerous risk.

doubt it
Ross Tucker ‏@RossTuckerNFLhttps://twitter.com/RossTuckerNFL 3h

Its also on the front page of CSNWashington, "Should DeSean Have Skipped Vacation?", so someone else cares. And as Mike Florio points out:Hes got every right to do that. The workouts are voluntary. But Jackson could have scored plenty of points with the fans, his teammates, and the media by ditching the vacation plans and showing up. Given Jacksons recent experiences, the P.R. bump would have dramatically outweighed the sunk costs of a vacation never taken.
So outside of 100 or so Eagles fans.....wait, what?

Guess they're bitter too :shrug:
I'm talking about real people here.

What about when the Redskins start 1-3?

No way do I give this guy a big contract until he has proven that he is over his maturity issues. Redskins over paid hoping he would change as opposed to rewarding him after he has changed. That is a very dangerous risk.
Overpaid how exactly? By giving him $750k more a year than Decker is making? He's actually getting paid less by the Skins this year than he would've made had the Eagles kept him. But yup, the Skins overpaid.

Overpaid how exactly? By giving him $750k more a year than Decker is making? He's actually getting paid less by the Skins this year than he would've made had the Eagles kept him. But yup, the Skins overpaid.
They overpaid because they are guaranteeing a 3 year/$24M contract while the Eagles didn't even want him on a one year $10M contract.

There's also the possibility that it becomes a 2 year/$20M deal if the Redskins decide to cut him before 2016.

They overpaid because they are guaranteeing a 3 year/$24M contract while the Eagles didn't even want him on a one year $10M contract.

There's also the possibility that it becomes a 2 year/$20M deal if the Redskins decide to cut him before 2016.
Only 16 is guaranteed. Skins got a hell of a deal here.

What about it? Are you saying if they got 1-3 it will be DJax fault? Kind of impossible to answer this without some context.

I guess it depends what side of the fence you are on. 16 million dollars guaranteed seems like a lot in this situation. You are getting a known head case that has proven nothing with your team yet. He was just cut from his previous team for character concerns and not fitting in with the team. I think there is too much guaranteed money and the risk in this situation out weighs the reward.

Perhaps the comment was a joke, if not i think it does give insight into the importance Desean thinks he has.

is it some horrible red flag that he is going to be a bust? no, but it is something he said, and there's nothing wrong with it being reported.
It was. He was laughing as he was talking about jersey numbers. He got asked a question, and instead of making any serious comments about the team, or Griffin, giving him his number, he joked it off as a non-factor (at least a few local reporters/beat writers made note of this). But the text of his comments spread without any context and was quickly spun to fit a stereotype.
well i think it still says something, it says he is not very funny

i mean

"I definitely am familiar with the No. 10 on Robert Griffin," Jackson said during a conference call. "But, you know, we've talked about it a little bit, but there hasn’t been a decision that’s been made yet so far, but maybe by the time season starts we'll know. But maybe RGIII will wear No. 3 and I'll try to get in 10. We'll see how it goes though. Never know."

that's just no way to deliver a joke

"I heard someone may have the #10 already, but i am sure i have a shot at it..."

that is much better

like i said, not a big deal because he was likely kidding. But if there was a nugget of truth to it then the dude has a pretty high opinion of himself

Decker is coming off a season of 87 catches, 1288 yards and 11tds on 136 targets. Let's not spin this like Decker is chop liver here. Decker who has been great the last 2 years will be getting less than Jackson even though his character has never been in question nor has he ever been cut from a team for character concerns.

it is hard to say they overpaid, because all we can do is speculate at the reasons Philly let him go, and speculate on if whatever issues they thought he had are issues in a new place

talent wise there is no way they overpaid, and i don;t think this contract is a killer even if he flames out

i think the majority of people think it was a good deal for both sides

Decker is coming off a season of 87 catches, 1288 yards and 11tds on 136 targets. Let's not spin this like Decker is chop liver here. Decker who has been great the last 2 years will be getting less than Jackson even though his character has never been in question nor has he ever been cut from a team for character concerns.
i don't see decker as nearly as dangerous or talented as desean

i could be wrong, but decker suffers from the manning factor. No one knows how good he is and how much of it was Manning making him look good.

I guess it depends what side of the fence you are on. 16 million dollars guaranteed seems like a lot in this situation. You are getting a known head case that has proven nothing with your team yet. He was just cut from his previous team for character concerns and not fitting in with the team. I think there is too much guaranteed money and the risk in this situation out weighs the reward.
I'd rather draft Paul Richardson in the 3rd than pay DeSean that much money.

Overpaid? It was a very reasonable contract.

i could be wrong, but decker suffers from the manning factor. No one knows how good he is and how much of it was Manning making him look good.
except for how he performed with Kyle Orton (and to a lesser extent with Tim Tebow) under center.

I agree that the two are completely different players. As far as pure athletic abiilty and what he can do on the field Jackson offers up something Decker can't: pure speed. This however does not directly relate to being less or more important to your offense and it won't automatically make your offense better. There are multiple moving pieces and although having a guy like Jackson could help, he could also be a headache and as Philly decided the postive did not out weigh the negative. That is a major red flag. I don't care what due diligence you do on a guy the fact that he was actually cut speaks volume about the maturity issues with Djax. I am not saying he can't mature as other players have, but I would want him to prove it first before giving him that much money up front.

On a side note I also happen to think that too many people discredit Decker simply because he played with Manning. People used to say that Garcon was only good when he had Manning in Indy. That was put to rest last year with his 113 catches and 1346 yards and 5 td's. Decker is a big target that gets open and makes plays. He was able to haul in 8td's as a sophmore while playing with Tebow on only 94 targets.

Playing against #2 and sometimes Nickle CB's...on a team with tons of offensive weapons and perhaps the best QB ever...

I'm not saying Decker is chopped liver, but if he puts up numbers anywhere near that with the Jets, I'll be shocked. I guess a big part of whether you view DeSean as overpaid depends on how much you discount him based on your perception of his character issues. That's always been one of the biggest factors of what a guy is worth in the NFL, and why guys like DeSean have always been so polarizing.

Lets put it this way. If Dallas decided that Dez Bryant was disruptive to the team and suddenly cut, would we be upset if the Eagles signed him to a 3 year deal?

Lets put it this way. If Dallas decided that Dez Bryant was disruptive to the team and suddenly cut, would we be upset if the Eagles signed him to a 3 year deal?
Dez Bryant? Not at all. You're not insinuating that they're similar players as far talent are you? IMHO they're not even in the same planet.

Now replace Dez with a Hakeem Nicks and my answer would be yes.

Dez Bryant? Not at all. You're not insinuating that they're similar players as far talent are you? IMHO they're not even in the same planet. Now replace Dez with a Hakeem Nicks and my answer would be yes.
DeSean Jackson is much closer to Bryant in talent than he is to Nicks, guy.

Dez Bryant? Not at all. You're not insinuating that they're similar players as far talent are you? IMHO they're not even in the same planet. Now replace Dez with a Hakeem Nicks and my answer would be yes.
DeSean Jackson is much closer to Bryant in talent than he is to Nicks, guy.
I had the 2010/2011 Nicks in mind when I posted that. Better?

cstu said:
There will be talk about the new coach, talk about Griffin, talk about the special teams (who were all-world miserable last year), talk about the defense, and the usual voices will pipe up about starting Kirk Cousins. Cousins has a huge supporter here; I forget who it is right now.

B-Deep said:
i mean

"I definitely am familiar with the No. 10 on Robert Griffin," Jackson said during a conference call. "But, you know, we've talked about it a little bit, but there hasn’t been a decision that’s been made yet so far, but maybe by the time season starts we'll know. But maybe RGIII will wear No. 3 and I'll try to get in 10. We'll see how it goes though. Never know."

that's just no way to deliver a joke
If you heard him on the radio when he said it, he was laughing and so were the hosts.

It's only a matter of time until a few Eagles fans sue Jackson for alimony. That usually follows a bitter breakup.

It's only a matter of time until a few Eagles fans sue Jackson for alimony. That usually follows a bitter breakup.
I expect this type of reaction from Eagle fans. I love it that they act like they have a problem with him now that he is on the Skins. They would be almost violent if people were talking about DJax like this is he was still a member of the Eagles. Eagles fans have zero loyalty to former players.

I expect this type of reaction from Eagle fans. I love it that they act like they have a problem with him now that he is on the Skins. They would be almost violent if people were talking about DJax like this is he was still a member of the Eagles. Eagles fans have zero loyalty to former players.
As opposed to every other franchise in all of sports. Oh wait...

doubt it

seriously. Of course Skins fans aren't upset, their team always sucks and this is their new free agent toy that is supposed to be this years savior.

This is patently false.

This is patently false.
How did they react to Santa? Violently?

Users who are viewing this thread