What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR DeSean Jackson (4 Viewers)

This. It seems to me, from a quick google, "cancel culture" is basically the boycotting of someone/product due to some offensive stuff said/shared/etc. And there are "degrees of offense" to be sure, and I'm sure those are also debatable as well. I bet I could make a list of 50+ active NFL players that have done worse things. Not excusing his actions at all. I suspect there is an element of "overreaction/Faux outrage" regarding all of this as well. Well known political trolls are using this moment to try to make the NFL look bad right now...for various reasons, including political. 
There are going to be 2 movements against DJax here. The one that is people genuinely upset by his comments. Matthew Berry appears to be there. I believe he is Jewish and he seems genuinely upset by the comments and with the Eagles not having made a stronger move already. There will also be conservative pundits who use this as an attack on the NFL (like you said) and liberals. They want to expose double standards and fire up their fan base. Some of them may have points and some will be totally trolling for content's sake. Plus there is always the potential that the President weighs in before too long. Like always in these situations, we have people with genuine concerns and people with much less scrupulous reason. 

Oh I almost forgot, there will be Dallas, Washington and New York fans with their takes being entirely formulated to service their fandom. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Because what he did isn't terrible enough to be cut.
That's your belief. I don't share it a bit. I don't think any tolerance of spreading hate speech should be tolerated. Ignorance is never an excuse.

Don't think that was his intention.  He didn't know he was doing that.  Was he an idiot for not proof reading and researching what he was posting before doing it?  100% yes.  Is he ACTUALLY  Anti-Jew and Pro-Hitler?  100% no.

I didn't say it wasn't terrible... I said it wasn't terrible enough to be cut.  His apology seems genuine.
This has nothing to do with proof reading or researching. What he posted was a quote that directly points to Jewish people manipulating America against African Americans in a bid for world domination -- an old and tired trope that unfortunately gets perpetrated to this day. 

The only way he could not have known that is if he didn't read what he himself posted. Not that he didn't proof or research it.

Either way, again, ignorance is not an excuse, no matter how heart-felt his apology may seem to you. It's perpetrating hate speech, period.

He states his intention in his apology video. 

And yes he's dumb.

Do you believe that Desean Jackson thinks Hitler was a good person?  (answer honestly, not in a devil's advocate way)
This is not the point whatsoever. Do you believe DeSean Jackson believes that Jewish people are conspiring to keep the status of African Americans as the true Children of Israel a secret? That the Jewish people are somehow complicit in the mistreatement, lynching, etc. of African Americans? Because that's what he posted through that quote.

He explains what he was 'trying' to say in his video.  I don't even think he knows.  I'm not defending the guy's actions, I just truly believe that Desean Jackson isn't Pro-Hitler and Anti-Jew.
You are taking up his case in post after post. So yes, it seems you are very vigorously defending his actions.

That's your belief. I don't share it a bit. I don't think any tolerance of spreading hate speech should be tolerated. Ignorance is never an excuse.

This has nothing to do with proof reading or researching. What he posted was a quote that directly points to Jewish people manipulating America against African Americans in a bid for world domination -- an old and tired trope that unfortunately gets perpetrated to this day. 

The only way he could not have known that is if he didn't read what he himself posted. Not that he didn't proof or research it.

Either way, again, ignorance is not an excuse, no matter how heart-felt his apology may seem to you. It's perpetrating hate speech, period.

This is not the point whatsoever. Do you believe DeSean Jackson believes that Jewish people are conspiring to keep the status of African Americans as the true Children of Israel a secret? That the Jewish people are somehow complicit in the mistreatement, lynching, etc. of African Americans? Because that's what he posted through that quote.

You are taking up his case in post after post. So yes, it seems you are very vigorously defending his actions.
How am I defending his actions when I say he was wrong?  He was wrong.  He was wrong.  He was wrong. 

This is not a binary situation where you either think he should never play in the NFL again, or this whole thing should be forgotten and act like it never happened.  I don't believe either of those things should happen.  I'm assuming you don't either.  What you think his 'punishment' should be is a huge scale with hundreds of options, and we will likely sit on a different part of that scale... which is fine.  Everyone will.

There are going to be 2 movements against DJax here. The one that is people genuinely upset by his comments. Matthew Berry appears to be there. I believe he is Jewish and he seems genuinely upset by the comments and with the Eagles not having made a stronger move already. There will also be conservative pundits who use this as an attack on the NFL (like you said) and liberals. They want to expose double standards and fire up their fan base. Some of them may have points and some will be totally trolling for content's sake. Plus there is always the potential that the President weighs in before too long. Like always in these situations, we have people with genuine concerns and people with much less scrupulous reason. 

Oh I almost forgot, there will be Dallas, Washington and New York fans with their takes being entirely formulated to service their fandom. 
You might be right. But I personally believe that neither will really do much. Team would have cut him already. There isn't anywhere currently to go "protest keeping him on the team."

Trump really does not know football/understand it (or anything it seems). There will be individuals like Matthew Berry that truly feel hurt, and rightfully so. As far as trolls/political stuff. Doesn't seem they have much left in the bag, so maybe they could use this, but pardon me for believing this to be lame ammo if that is the case. 

You are drawing a distinction between Jackson having true ill will in his heart against Jews versus being ignorant and victim of his own stupidity.

There is no difference. 

Just as ignorance does not excuse legal liability, ignorance doesn't excuse someone from spreading hate speech.
I'm not playing the victim card for him being stupid.  Him being stupid does and should have consequences.  I am not excusing DJax's actions or posts... again, you are treating this as a binary situation and putting false narratives on me that I never proclaimed.  I do not think Desean has personal feelings of hate towards Jews, nor love towards Hitler.  That's my opinion.  You have yours.  And you won't listen to his or anyone else's as your mind is closed on the subject. 

What do you think is fair 'punishment" for him?  Should he go to jail?  Should he never be allowed to play anymore"  Should he just get cut from the Eagles?  Or maybe just a game suspension?

@arielhelwani

What a joke. Hey @DeSeanJackson10, if you didn’t mean any harm, why in the world were you quoting Hitler?! And regardless of if it’s a real quote or note, you thought you were quoting Hitler! Do better, educate yourself and save your apologies. We don’t accept them.

@arielhelwani

“I probably shouldn’t have posted anything on my story that Hitler did.” Probably? Still not sure if it was a good idea or not? Go visit a concentration camp in Eastern Europe sometime. Or at least read up on them. Maybe then you’ll know if it was a good idea or not.

I'm not playing the victim card for him being stupid.  Him being stupid does and should have consequences.  I am not excusing DJax's actions or posts... again, you are treating this as a binary situation and putting false narratives on me that I never proclaimed.  I do not think Desean has personal feelings of hate towards Jews, nor love towards Hitler.  That's my opinion.  You have yours.  And you won't listen to his or anyone else's as your mind is closed on the subject. 

What do you think is fair 'punishment" for him?  Should he go to jail?  Should he never be allowed to play anymore"  Should he just get cut from the Eagles?  Or maybe just a game suspension?
It's disingenuous to say I am putting false narratives on you that you never proclaimed. I am quoting you directly.

You say (yet again) that Djax has no personal feelings towards Jewish people or love towards Hitler. I am saying that's not a mitigating factor or an excuse and even if it is true, doesn't matter whatsoever.

Hate speech gets spread just the same.

It's disingenuous to say I am putting false narratives on you that you never proclaimed. I am quoting you directly.

You say (yet again) that Djax has no personal feelings towards Jewish people or love towards Hitler. I am saying that's not a mitigating factor or an excuse and even if it is true, doesn't matter whatsoever.

Hate speech gets spread just the same.
Yes, you are saying I am excusing him of his behaviour.  I am not.  I never quoted this.

It does matter if those are his feelings.  It changes from 'that was a stupid thing to say", to "he is racist".  I am saying I don't think he has love for Hitler... you are saying he does.  If you see that as irrelevant, that's your opinion.  Believe it or not, yours isn't always gospel.  Shocking, I know.

You keep avoiding my question... what do you think his punishment should be?

Yes, you are saying I am excusing him of his behaviour.  I am not.  I never quoted this.

It does matter if those are his feelings.  It changes from 'that was a stupid thing to say", to "he is racist".  I am saying I don't think he has love for Hitler... you are saying he does.  If you see that as irrelevant, that's your opinion.  Believe it or not, yours isn't always gospel.  Shocking, I know.

You keep avoiding my question... what do you think his punishment should be?
"Don't think that was his intention.  He didn't know he was doing that."

"He explains what he was 'trying' to say in his video.  I don't even think he knows."
Above (yet again) are your words. 

You are very explicitly saying Jackson doesn't intend to be hateful, he is just ignorant. Dumb was also a word you used.

I am saying that his ignorance is not an excuse nor should it be used to defend or mitigate spreading hate speech.

You are saying it does matter whether he is truly hateful or not.

I am saying the impact is just the same.

Your question about his punishment is entirely beside the point and not germane to the points above. 

Did that just happen? Cause today isn’t exactly like 2013.
Yeah, that's my point.

I see you left out what I quoted you, so I'll put that back:

I don’t blame people for being upset. If the tables were turned it wouldn’t even be a question. 

Riley Cooper was cut or not cut?

In today's Climate, he'd be cut, correct?

Just trying to pinpoint what you are trying to get across. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Above (yet again) are your words. 

You are very explicitly saying Jackson doesn't intend to be hateful, he is just ignorant. Dumb was also a word you used.

I am saying that his ignorance is not an excuse nor should it be used to defend or mitigate spreading hate speech.

You are saying it does matter whether he is truly hateful or not.

I am saying the impact is just the same.

Your question about his punishment is entirely beside the point and not germane to the points above. 
I am also not saying ignorance is an 'excuse' to 'excuse (v)" him of what he did.  I am saying his intentions matter in terms of his punishment.  Intending to kill someone and accidentally killing someone are both wrong and punishable, but the punishment changes.  I said i don't think what he did, based on his intentions, are worthy of being released.  The punishment is not beside the point at all.  We both agree he was wrong, I think he wasn't wrong enough to go to jail for it.... maybe a fine and he can use his platform to educate others and speak out about the subject.

How do you overreact to a intentionally hateful statement though? I mean his comments aren't just ignorant dumb, they're contradictory. I mean the Iggles kinda effed up handling the Riley Cooper situation from what I remember, but don't bungle this. Fine/suspend him actual game checks, get him into racial sensitivity classes, community service, the works. If he actually resists those efforts, cut him.

The thing I don't get (and maybe it'll happen later) is where is the NFLPA statement or league statement?

Yeah, that's my point.

I see you left out what I quoted you, so I'll put that back:

I don’t blame people for being upset. If the tables were turned it wouldn’t even be a question. 

Riley Cooper was cut or not cut?

In today's Climate, he'd be cut, correct?

Just trying to pinpoint what you are trying to get across. 
Cooper was beaten up by Cary Williams, crushed by the media, fined, sent home and has been ruined ever since. 

He ONLY didn’t get cut after a team meeting where Vick vouched for him and said he deserved a second chance. They kept him, he had a great season and signed an extension. 

Cooper was beaten up by Cary Williams, crushed by the media, fined, sent home and has been ruined ever since. 

He ONLY didn’t get cut after a team meeting where Vick vouched for him and said he deserved a second chance. They kept him, he had a great season and signed an extension. 
Riley cooper played on the Eagles for 3 full seasons after his incident, and as you referenced, even got a contract extension. Would have been a lot more in Ruins without that extra $5M.

Yep. And Jackson won’t see a fraction of what Cooper did as far as overall impact during and after his career. 
 Nor should he.  Saying "I will jump that fence and fight every (N word) here." is more blatant and direct racism than Desean re-posting something he saw.  Both should be punished.  I personally believe Coopers punishment should be harsher.

So he will he beat up by a teammate, fined, sent home and considered a Jew hater for the rest of his life? How many places will have this is a headline story tomorrow? Who has even spoken out about this? Lol. Satire?? Are you high right now??
You've been against the BLM movement since day one.  People do not have to react the way you want them to react.  Just because Jenkins doesn't speak out about this, it does not mean Jenkins supports hate.  Every athlete is allowed to speak up on the social issues that affect them the most, and doesn't NEED to go public about every single other one of them.

You've been against the BLM movement since day one.  People do not have to react the way you want them to react.  Just because Jenkins doesn't speak out about this, it does not mean Jenkins supports hate.  Every athlete is allowed to speak up on the social issues that affect them the most, and doesn't NEED to go public about every single other one of them.
They don’t have to react the way I want. 

They won’t even react the way they expect others to react. Hate is hate for me. For you, it’s tiered like F’ing RB rankings. 

So he will he beat up by a teammate, fined, sent home and considered a Jew hater for the rest of his life? How many places will have this is a headline story tomorrow? Who has even spoken out about this? Lol. Satire?? Are you high right now??
Bro you need to RELAX. I was just going off what you typed. If you statements are vague, be more clear.

I took this is as "Riley Cooper has a far bigger impact on the field" which, considering the fact I believe Desean is top 50 all time receiving and Riley had one 800 yard season, yes, I believe this to be satire.

But are you asking me to feel SORRY for Riley Cooper, to be clear?

But are you asking me to feel SORRY for Riley Cooper, to be clear?
Definitely high lol

Jackson and Cooper are both are idiots. Both made stupid decisions and neither should have their life ruined for it. One will have had to deal with much more than the other for hatred. It’s all equal to me and should be across the board

Is that clear?

After reading some of these posts I just want to make sure we are talking about the same guy here...Jackson thought he was quoting Adolph Hitler the Nazi leader who killed 6 million Jews and not Al Hitler the unenlightened car salesman from West Virginia...right?

Definitely high lol

Jackson and Cooper are both are idiots. Both made stupid decisions and neither should have their life ruined for it. One will have had to deal with much more than the other for hatred. It’s all equal to me and should be across the board

Is that clear?
No its not clear. They are both rich. Their careers/lives not ruined at all. Pretty sure a lot of us will take $5m+ to never be seen in public again for the rest of our lives. You seem like a nice guy with zero axes to grind and no agenda, so I'm not sure why this is getting you so razzed up. 

After reading some of these posts I just want to make sure we are talking about the same guy here...Jackson thought he was quoting Adolph Hitler the Nazi leader who killed 6 million Jews and not Al Hitler the unenlightened car salesman from West Virginia...right?
Thanks for getting us back on point talking about Hitler and genocide. 

Thanks for getting us back on point talking about Hitler and genocide. 
Just want to make sure we remember who he is quoting...it's probably just me but when it comes to bigotry I just assumed quoting Hitler about Jews was like dropping the A bomb.

He didn't quote Hitler.
I'm sorry...he reposted a quote from Hitler on a social media for the general public to see but it really wasn't from Hitler although he probably thought it was from Hitler because it denigrated Jews so it's easy to see where the mix-up came from.

Yes...that is exactly what I said.
Oh you meant practice A bombs? Practice A-bombs, not as big of a deal as the real ones. 

Also, not fun when you are trying to have a convo and some troll tries to re-direct with some silliness right

I'm sorry...he reposted a quote from Hitler on a social media for the general public to see but it really wasn't from Hitler although he probably thought it was from Hitler because it denigrated Jews so it's easy to see where the mix-up came from.
There you go.

For a guy trying to keep people factually on point, you seem to not know whats going on. 

LOL you JUST thought he was quoting Hitler. 
Sorry, little confused by this as I pointed out it was not from Hitler which I am surprised Jackson did not point as well out when he re-posted it since it does say "Hitler said" at the beginning...probably just an oversight on his part.

You might be right. But I personally believe that neither will really do much. Team would have cut him already. There isn't anywhere currently to go "protest keeping him on the team."

Trump really does not know football/understand it (or anything it seems). There will be individuals like Matthew Berry that truly feel hurt, and rightfully so. As far as trolls/political stuff. Doesn't seem they have much left in the bag, so maybe they could use this, but pardon me for believing this to be lame ammo if that is the case. 
Perhaps,but they also could be investigating how to go about it to recoup as much money as possible. With Trump, he understands this issue. He has Jewish family and is mad at the NFL for the recent flag/BLM developments. He could easily fire off some tweets and rile up his base on this. It is right in his wheel house. 

Users who are viewing this thread