What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** Washington Redskins 2013 Thread (1 Viewer)

The first big Shanahan post-mortem, done by Mike Jones, Jason Reid, Liz Clarke, Dave Sheinin and Mike Wise. Worth reading.

This story is based on interviews with nearly 20 people inside the Redskins organization or close to it, who insisted on anonymity so they could speak more freely about the problems bedeviling the franchise.
As training camp began in 2010, the coach wanted to make an example of Haynesworth. He put the 350-pound tackle through a daily conditioning test. Haynesworth continually failed, sparking a battle of wills between the two that lasted the rest of the season. Haynesworth was gone the following year, taking with him approximately $35 million.

The less-remarked upon story at the time, though, was that Snyder had supported Shanahan despite the cost and embarrassment of the Haynesworth signing. It set the tone for the two strongheaded men’s relationship, in which Snyder largely complied with Shanahan’s requests, large and small.
Shanahan, with Snyder’s support, decided to give McNabb a chance — at the discount price of a second-round draft pick and a conditional pick the following year. The team finalized the trade in April 2010. Almost immediately, Kyle Shanahan clashed with the new quarterback.
Both McNabb and Griffin were benched with 3 games left in a season.

Not long after the Shanahans arrived, alliances formed on the coaching staff — fueled by a perception that Mike Shanahan would look out for his son’s interests before those of other coaches. Indeed, Shanahan’s first draft choice (offensive tackle Trent Williams in 2010), biggest free agent signing (wide receiver Pierre Garcon in 2012) and biggest move (the trade to move up in the 2012 draft to select Griffin) all benefited the offense. "If Mike has several million to spend, do you think he is going to help build the defensive coordinator’s unit or give that money to his kid?” said one team official familiar with the roster’s salary structure.
Shanahan has mostly allowed his son to craft the offense as he saw fit, watching offensive meetings sometimes on a closed-circuit video feed and approving Kyle’s game plan but rarely making broad changes.

This wasn’t the case for the defense. Shanahan, in his second year into the job, began sitting in on coaches’ defensive meetings. According to a former coach, staff members stormed out several times, furious after Shanahan had changed that week’s defensive game plan.

Haslett, the defensive coordinator and a former NFL head coach, also had part of his play-calling duties on the defense usurped by Shanahan, according to two coaches and a veteran player.

One of Shanahan’s first calls came in September 2011, during a game at Dallas. With the Cowboys on their own 30 with 2 minutes 20 seconds to play, Shanahan called an all-out blitz — “Cover-0,” as it is known — and it backfired, resulting in Dallas quarterback Tony Romo finding wide receiver Dez Bryant for a 30-yard gain. Dallas eventually kicked a field goal for an 18-16 victory, and Haslett was left to shoulder the blame.
Shanahan had concerns that Griffin had no experience in a pro-style offense and with the number of draft picks it would take to move up from the draft’s sixth slot to get him, a team official said. But Snyder was sold. Griffin had won the Heisman Trophy at Baylor in 2011, and he was young and black, charismatic and bright, exciting and polished — the perfect fit for Washington and the new Redskins. For Snyder, a lifelong Redskins fan who had grown up to buy the team as a marketing man, Griffin was a dream — and he made no secret of his wishes, according to a team official.Shanahan, knowing he needed a quarterback, relented.
So when Griffin arrived at Redskins Park, Shanahan immediately put limits on who could even speak to the rookie. Only Shanahan, his son and quarterbacks coach Matt LaFleur could contact Griffin to discuss football. Shanahan limited his media availability to once during the week — two fewer times than Griffin faced reporters as a junior at Baylor — and after games. Kyle Shanahan stood on a balcony and timed Griffin’s Wednesday news conferences; if the meeting surpassed 10 minutes, the coordinator complained to Wyllie, the team’s communications director. Requests for one-on-one interviews were declined even if Griffin was willing, and if a reporter wandered too close to Griffin’s locker, it was common for Wyllie to interrupt the chat.Even Griffin himself rolled his eyes, occasionally telling reporters to quiet their laughter, lest Wyllie hear it and, following instructions, end the jocularity.
But when the 2012 season started, Griffin’s parents began to question privately Shanahan’s desire to protect his quarterback. The 6-foot-2, 217-pound Griffin was hit often during the Redskins’ home opener against Cincinnati, and Kyle Shanahan kept calling zone-read plays — in which the quarterback had the option of running with the ball or handing it off. The plays effectively used Griffin’s speed and evasiveness as a ball carrier, but his parents let it be known they believed they put him in unnecessary danger.

A month later, family members were specifically irked when Griffin ran a receiving route as part of a trick play — and was leveled by Pittsburgh safety Ryan Clark.
Two and a half weeks later, Griffin injured his right knee in a win against the Baltimore Ravens, forcing Shanahan to sideline him the following week. When Griffin returned Dec. 23 against the Philadelphia Eagles, Shanahan watched a clearly hobbled Griffin return to the sideline. Shanahan told his quarterback he was considering pulling him from the game. According to a member of the coaching staff, Griffin looked at Shanahan and replied that he either believed in him or he didn’t. Interpreting the words as a warning that his long-term relationship with the quarterback could be in jeopardy, a team official said, Shanahan called a running play to test Griffin. The quarterback ran the play to Shanahan’s satisfaction, and the coach left him in the game.

Two weeks later, according to a person familiar with the discussion, the Shanahans sat with Griffin before Washington’s playoff game against the Seattle Seahawks and went over plays they would and wouldn’t use. The men agreed to leave the zone read mostly out of the game plan, relying more on Griffin’s passing, according to this account. But when the offense took the field, Kyle Shanahan called one zone-read play, then another. The play-calling deeply affected Griffin’s trust in the Shanahans, according to one person in the quarterback’s camp.
There is a lot more.

Entering the season, those close to Shanahan thought the coach felt forced to play Griffin, healthy or not, the team’s best option or not, because if he didn’t, they said, the perception around Redskins Park was that Griffin would demand changes. An offseason promotional campaign Griffin did for Adidas, built around the slogan “All In for Week 1,” added to the pressure on the coach.Shanahan was losing control of his most important player, and he responded the way he had years earlier: by reasserting his authority.
More than four months later, with Washington’s record at 3-9 and Shanahan’s job security under fire, a gameday morning began with an ESPN report suggesting Shanahan had been displeased with Snyder’s relationship with Griffin and had considered quitting after the 2012 season. Members of the Redskins organization felt they had given Shanahan everything he wanted, and people close to Snyder said the owner was angered and bewildered by the story, which came just hours before the team played the Kansas City Chiefs.

Shanahan has yet to deny the report’s details, and an assistant coach who said he confronted Shanahan about it said Shanahan told him he had, in fact, considered stepping down — though he had given no indication to the other 20 or so members of his staff.
Three days after the Kansas City game, Shanahan benched Griffin, saying he was doing so to protect the young quarterback from injury during the final games of a lost season. Griffin visibly bristled at the decision. Snyder has yet to comment.
The Shanahans can't leave town soon enough to suit me.

LOL, this is the first game in a decade that I am actually thinking of not watching. Sad when I think of it because I would have never thought there would be a Redskins gameday that this feeling would ever have a chance of rearing it's head.

LOL, this is the first game in a decade that I am actually thinking of not watching. Sad when I think of it because I would have never thought there would be a Redskins gameday that this feeling would ever have a chance of rearing it's head.
I'm watching but my wife walked out of the room before halftime saying "this isn't football." She has a point.

If the Redskins can't beat an Eli Manning-less Giants team, they ought to just fold up the franchise. And for those of you touting Kirk Cousins trade value, good luck with that Redskins.

Well there goes just about any chance of getting anything better than a 4th rounder for Cousins. No way any team would give up more than that.

Well there goes just about any chance of getting anything better than a 4th rounder for Cousins. No way any team would give up more than that.
Remember how we heard so much about Griffin not going through his progressions and displaying poor mechanics? Yeah, that's Cousins today x 100.

First 8 game losing streak since 1961...horrible end is fitting for a horrible season. Best part of it all is Shanny and the staff get fired tonight or tomorrow and we can move on. Positive things to come because it can get much worse than this.

Oh yeah and Cousins played the worst game of the year for our QB position, fitting so Shanny can't say "see it wasn't us, it was RG3." Looks like Cousins is here to stay and that is as a backup. Sorry, I know you want to be a starter Kirk, but you are not at this point.

fatness said:
RGIII HTTR said:
I'm watching but my wife walked out of the room before halftime saying "this isn't football." She has a point.
Had game recorded, and watched most of it on 2x speed...didn't think I'd miss much and there sure enough wasn't anything compelling that could be said during the game. Your wife knows football for sure cuz I've seen pop warner games that were more exciting than that and resembled more of a real football game.

southeastjerome said:
I'd rather keep Cousins. I think he has promise and with some good coaching can be a decent QB. Both he and Griffin hopefully will benefit next season from having a real coach and a real OC rather than a detached power-freak protecting a #####y son.

Quick thoughts on the game:

1. The Redskins' collapse is now complete. That was a pretty ugly game. If there was a game not worth watching, that was it.

2. We can now stop discussing Kirk Cousins' trade value. He needed to show is was ready to be starter to get anything of value. He did not so it.

3. The defensive game plan should include something about blocking Justin Tuck. He just made Chester and Polumbus look ridiculous.

4. Despite saying he won't play younger players, they were rotating in more players in the last few weeks. The fact that Compton and Gettis can't get any playing time is a pretty strong indication that they are no where near ready to be starters. And LeRibeus was inactive for all 16 games.

Last edited by a moderator:
The interior of our offensive line is really bad. I've been highly critical of Polumbus but different beat reporters have been saying he's been holding his own more and more often. Chester, Montgomery, and Lichtensteiger, though, let the middle get collapsed repeatedly. Today Chester looked like he was lining up, standing up at the snap, and just turning around to look behind him to see what happened on the play.

Tomorrow when you guys wake up, you have 1 thing to be thankful for.

That is you aren't Cowboys fans.

Looking forward to some off-season and draft banter with you guys.

For possibly the first time in my life, I was rooting for you guys last night. I'm really hating the Eagles these days.

For the first time I can remember, I'm glad football season is over. What a dumpster fire. Only thing that would make it better would be Shanny getting fired today.

For possibly the first time in my life, I was rooting for you guys last night. I'm really hating the Eagles these days.
For the life of me I couldn't understand why Redskins fans on my twitter feed were rooting for the Eagles yesterday. The Cowboys would have gone nowhere in the playoffs with Orton at the helm- the Saints would have probably been touchdown favorites in Jerryworld next week- plus it would have been comical if Kyle Orton had succeeded where Romo repeatedly failed. The Eagles, on the other hand, could easily make a run. They force the Saints to play outdoors in January- I haven't checked the line yet but I'm guessing the Eagles are favored- and if they win I'd give them a semidecent chance to knock off the Panthers too. Not good.

For the life of me I couldn't understand why Redskins fans on my twitter feed were rooting for the Eagles yesterday. The Cowboys would have gone nowhere in the playoffs with Orton at the helm- the Saints would have probably been touchdown favorites in Jerryworld next week- plus it would have been comical if Kyle Orton had succeeded where Romo repeatedly failed. The Eagles, on the other hand, could easily make a run. They force the Saints to play outdoors in January- I haven't checked the line yet but I'm guessing the Eagles are favored- and if they win I'd give them a semidecent chance to knock off the Panthers too. Not good.
Yeah, for me, the "I root for the Redskins and anyone playing Dallas" mindset is gone. I just don't hate Dallas as much as I used to. Obviously, Dallas being down so much recently helps that.

Personally, I think it mostly comes down to the fact that I actual like some Cowboys fans and I have a hard time coming up with any Eagles fans that I like. The ones I know are just unbearable. And it's especially annoying to hear so many fans be so loud about them since they are clearly the least successful franchise in the NFCE.

Just paranoid that they won't for some reason. I can't relive the horror of this season again

Shanahan is fired, Redskins assistants will meet w Bruce Allen one on one today. Chance some could wind up staying depending on next coach.. New conference at 12 or 12:30. Shanny/Snyder meeting lasted 20-30 minutes...long time to say get your ipad and 2 notebooks.

Dan Snyder on Shanahan firing: "Redskins fans deserve a better result"

Users who are viewing this thread