What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

George Zimmerman Questioned by Police for Threatening Wife With Gun (1 Viewer)

Those lawyers knew they weren't going to get paid in full for this. This was about marketing for them, and BTW they were making money from other clients even during that case. They'll make that back and more from other clients that will come to them because of the Zimmerman case.
Only issue I have is the amount of the billing and the fact it was hourly. I don't know how Florida works, but in AZ I'd be very nervous about submitting a client a bill like that for a criminal case. My state bar strongly frowns on hourly rates for criminal cases and strongly suggests up front flat fees. I'd agree that the 250,00 ballpark for this case is well within the ethical boundaries. But 2.5 million? Eh….
I'd figure that a good % of that is going to be costs, especially for experts. This is a case in which an expert can easily have spent at least a couple hundred hours working up this case by the time it was all said and done. Multiply that by $300-$600 per hour depending upon the expert (ridiculous I know, but that's the going rate nowadays, at least in LA) and you're easily into six figures.

As for the attorneys, even assuming a relatively low $350/hour, $1M in fees would arise from about 2860 hours, which a single attorney could actually bust out in the span of a single (albeit certainly very busy) calendar year; I've worked with associates who've billed in excess of 3000 hours.

In a major case that's an easy number to hit, especially with multiple attorneys and paralegals working the file, doing media appearances, a lengthy trial, etc.
Both West and O'Mara independently billed over 3000 hours in 15 months according to the Orlando Sentinel story. So that's independent of expert's fees. It doesn't sound like there was a lot billed to experts. While I certainly know associates (few partners) who have billed over 3000 hours in a year, I know few who have billed it on a single matter. Particularly when criminal discovery is limited. This isn't a white collar case. There aren't millions of documents to review.

The income from the Zimmerman legal defense website set up by the lawyers was used to pay the experts.

Those lawyers knew they weren't going to get paid in full for this. This was about marketing for them, and BTW they were making money from other clients even during that case. They'll make that back and more from other clients that will come to them because of the Zimmerman case.
Only issue I have is the amount of the billing and the fact it was hourly. I don't know how Florida works, but in AZ I'd be very nervous about submitting a client a bill like that for a criminal case. My state bar strongly frowns on hourly rates for criminal cases and strongly suggests up front flat fees. I'd agree that the 250,00 ballpark for this case is well within the ethical boundaries. But 2.5 million? Eh….
I'd figure that a good % of that is going to be costs, especially for experts. This is a case in which an expert can easily have spent at least a couple hundred hours working up this case by the time it was all said and done. Multiply that by $300-$600 per hour depending upon the expert (ridiculous I know, but that's the going rate nowadays, at least in LA) and you're easily into six figures.

As for the attorneys, even assuming a relatively low $350/hour, $1M in fees would arise from about 2860 hours, which a single attorney could actually bust out in the span of a single (albeit certainly very busy) calendar year; I've worked with associates who've billed in excess of 3000 hours.

In a major case that's an easy number to hit, especially with multiple attorneys and paralegals working the file, doing media appearances, a lengthy trial, etc.
Both West and O'Mara independently billed over 3000 hours in 15 months according to the Orlando Sentinel story. So that's independent of expert's fees. It doesn't sound like there was a lot billed to experts. While I certainly know associates (few partners) who have billed over 3000 hours in a year, I know few who have billed it on a single matter. Particularly when criminal discovery is limited. This isn't a white collar case. There aren't millions of documents to review.
200 hours per month is what that averages out to, and that's not ridiculous, especially when a number of those months were spent in trial.

When trying cases, I've billed in excess of 260 hours for those months, easily I might add. 18-hour days, four or more days per week adds up very quickly.

Might as well ask a question about something with high-profile criminal trials I've always been curious about:

Had George Zimmerman used a public defender, or Legal Aid or something like that (leaving aside any qualification issues) ... would it have been a slam dunk that he'd have been found guilty? IOW, was O'Mara & West's defense work something many lawyers could've pulled off?

Might as well ask a question about something with high-profile criminal trials I've always been curious about:

Had George Zimmerman used a public defender, or Legal Aid or something like that (leaving aside any qualification issues) ... would it have been a slam dunk that he'd have been found guilty? IOW, was O'Mara & West's defense work something many lawyers could've pulled off?
I'll defer to Woz on this, but it would probably be a crapshoot. He'd certainly get someone competent assigned to the case, but how aggressively it was worked up and how artfully the evidence would have been presented would probably be hard to predict.

200 hours per month is what that averages out to, and that's not ridiculous, especially when a number of those months were spent in trial.

When trying cases, I've billed in excess of 260 hours for those months, easily I might add. 18-hour days, four or more days per week adds up very quickly.
At most one month was spent in trial. From Jury selection to closing argument was June 10 to July 13 (and much of that time was not in trial). There were bond revocation hearings and the motions to disqualify the judge, that added to the work, but those were small discrete issues. They completely hosed Zimmerman is anyone billed over 40 hours on either of those issues (and I'm being generous).

Also consider that the time from the probable cause hearing until they received the first round of criminal discovery was a month where they couldn't really bill for anything.

There were about 60 witnesses to interview in over a year according to the criminal discovery released . I still think that 15 months worth of 400 partner hours a month on the case would be found excessive. There just wasn't that much work to be done on the case.

The prosecution had no facts to support any of the elements beyond the fact that Zimmerman killed Martin. It was largely an emotional case put for by the prosecution, which they did well. The key was jury selection. As long as the jury was populated with enough pro self-defense types, this case was a victory for the defense. Once you seat a few gun-owers on the jury, this case was doomed to failure with any competent defense.

Of course not. And the fact that people attribute the win so much towards highly private counsel is really indicative of just how few people outside of the legal profession truly understand (although, now that I'm in private practice in its my best interest that it stay that way).

Contrary to popular belief, public defenders really are lawyers. They have the same fancy certificates and go through the same training (if not even more). Additionally, they work on nothing but criminal law in a particular jurisdiction (often in front of the same judge with the same prosecutor) and generally with the same time of cases (misdemeanors vs. lower level felonies vs. higher level felonies vs. capital - if applicable). Generally, if you want an indicator of how a particular case will resolve in a particular court with a particular prosecutor, nothing is going to be a better source than the public defender in that court. After all, they are in those courts nearly every day and see those issues litigated in that particular jurisdiction. Furthermore, many public defender office's are structured in a way that when a case proceeds to trial it is assigned to a lawyer who solely handles trials for that types of cases.

Using myself as an example, my first three years as a public defender in our smaller jurisdiction I handled over 500 DUI cases and did over a dozen DUI jury trials, and over 100 bench trials. My office provided me with dozens of hours of DUI-specific training and I attended several conferences each year to update myself on any and all issues DUI. I litigated every issue and had enough trials in the jurisdiction to probably know what worked. I also knew each judge well enough to predict their sentences at trial and each prosecutor well enough to know how good (or bad) of a deal was possible in each case. I'm very confident in stating that there was a point where I strongly doubt any lawyer could have better defended DUI cases in that jurisdiction better than me. When I went to work for Maricopa (Phoenix), I was immediately assigned to a trial group where I did nothing but felony jury trials. While that jurisdiction is bigger, my sole focus was on the criminal trial. Furthermore, at both offices, I had an investigator assigned to me for use at my discretion and I could get indigent funds to get the same wonderful experts which cost a retained client and arm and a leg. My caseloads, while intense at times, were closely monitored as well to make sure I was overworked. In short, I am fully confident in saying that I was capable of trying cases just as well as any private attorney in those jurisdictions.

That said, there are some potential downsides to a public defender. First, while a defendant has the right to counsel, he doesn't get to individually choose his public defender. While most that I have met are quite good at their job, as in any profession there are some public defenders that are either burned out or simply not that great at their job. Whether that be due to poor public speaking, lack of experience, minimal effort, etc. there is some potential to wind up with a sub-par lawyer. Also, not every jurisdiction may afford their public defenders the same benefits and resources that I experienced. Lastly, it's possible to get a lawyer with less experience - since the common progression is to take the lowing paying job out of law school, get a bunch of experience, and take a private job (my path). However, it's also possible, especially in a very high-profile/serious case, to get a seasoned lawyer who was private for many years who took a job as a public defender to get away from the stresses of private work. Those guys have seen and done it all, and are going to be the best lawyers in the room regardless of who else is there.

Going back to the Zimmerman case, the defense there, while incredibly controversial and interesting, really isn't that legally complex in that it is a standard self defense case. Zimmerman had many facts on his side (you'll note on this board most lawyers correctly predicted the verdict) and in my opinion any competent attorney, public defender or not, had a reasonable likelihood of achieving the same result as Zimmerman's lawyers. In my opinion, given the national coverage this case got, if the Florida public defender's office assigned to the case was anything like the ones in the jurisdictions I've experienced, Zimmerman would have likely gotten assigned two of the more seasoned trial attorneys in the office. Accordingly, I'd predict that they would be just as good as Zimmerman's hired private counsel.

Last edited by a moderator:

At most one month was spent in trial. From Jury selection to closing argument was June 10 to July 13 (and much of that time was not in trial). There were bond revocation hearings and the motions to disqualify the judge, that added to the work, but those were small discrete issues. They completely hosed Zimmerman is anyone billed over 40 hours on either of those issues (and I'm being generous).

Also consider that the time from the probable cause hearing until they received the first round of criminal discovery was a month where they couldn't really bill for anything.

There were about 60 witnesses to interview in over a year according to the criminal discovery released . I still think that 15 months worth of 400 partner hours a month on the case would be found excessive. There just wasn't that much work to be done on the case.
I'd have to agree here. I've worked several manslaughter cases, a couple where self defense was the issue, and I cannot see possibly spending those types of hours on the case. Even assuming multiple hours of research on self defense (which should be unnecessary for a seasoned defense atty), hours of interviews, and that Zimmerman is likely the type of guy demanding daily contact, there is just no way it reaches those numbers.

I will disagree with Woz to a certain respect. I don't think PDs are worse lawyers. But I do think that PDs have far less time to devote to any specific case and fewer resources. The State definitely had a good case on manslaughter. We had a dead kid with absolutely no dispute over who pulled the trigger.

It absolutely takes a lot of work, and a ton of factual development, in order to present a viable self-defense defense in light of those types of facts. Even if I think that this case did not require 6000 attorney hours of work, it definitely required more than most PDs are able to provide.

I will disagree with Woz to a certain respect. I don't think PDs are worse lawyers. But I do think that PDs have far less time to devote to any specific case and fewer resources. The State definitely had a good case on manslaughter. We had a dead kid with absolutely no dispute over who pulled the trigger.

It absolutely takes a lot of work, and a ton of factual development, in order to present a viable self-defense defense in light of those types of facts. Even if I think that this case did not require 6000 attorney hours of work, it definitely required more than most PDs are able to provide.
I don't necessarily disagree with the timing issue (I was lucky to work in AZ where right before I began work there was a major decision declaring public defenders offices across the state per se ineffective until stringent caseload limitations were put in place), I'm curious as to why you think they have fewer resources. Since an indigent defendant has the right to meaningful representation/defense/fair trial, the state must approve funds necessary to that end. So, practically, a public defender could request the court/admin agency/whatever governmental agency for funds to get an expert, investigator, etc.

In private practice a lawyer is limited to the financial freedom of his client.

ETA: I re-read post and vehemently disagree with your last sentence.

What evidence was there that is was not self-defense? We have witnesses who saw or heard the struggle. We have George who obviously was losing the fight. We have forensics which support the short was at a close distance. We have the lone survivor who says there was a struggle for the weapon. :confused:

What evidence was there that is was not self-defense? We have witnesses who saw or heard the struggle. We have George who obviously was losing the fight. We have forensics which support the short was at a close distance. We have the lone survivor who says there was a struggle for the weapon. :confused:
At the risk of making this point for the 1000th time, if the law really worked the way you think it works, any defendant where there is no eye witness to a shooting could claim self defense. And nobody could prove that it wasn't.

The law requires an objectively reasonable belief that the defendant was in danger of great bodily harm. In most cases, the only way to prove that is to have eyewitness testimony of the entire confrontation. We didn't have that. We had a very limited amount of eyewitness testimony that really only supported the inference (at best) that Zimmerman suffered a simple assault. We had injuries that were inconsistent with aggravated assault (which is assault likely to cause great bodily harm). We had an unarmed victim who had no evidence of any specialized hand to hand combat training (even if the defense had been able to provide evidence that Martin had been in fights, the prosecution could have easily countered that none of the "victims" of those fights appear to have been hospitalized).

The law, as it is written, does not provide a self defense defense for anyone who can provide evidence that he was losing a fight.

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

For the millionth time, Jon, self-defense at minimum requires force exerted to be proportionate. To use deadly force, there has to at least be a reasonable belief that a person is facing imminent substantial bodily harm/deadly force. I think it's fair to say that was debatable in this case.

For the millionth time, Jon, self-defense at minimum requires force exerted to be proportionate. To use deadly force, there has to at least be a reasonable belief that a person is facing imminent substantial bodily harm/deadly force. I think it's fair to say that was debatable in this case.
I understand that perfectly. I am pretty sure a struggle for a gun constitutes a reasonable belief that a person is facing immenent harm. There was nothing the prosecution had that refuted that.

Appears pretty easy to go with "self defense" in the state of Florida. All they had to do was suggest Zimmerman was afraid for his life. Nothing else mattered.

ETA: I should have read the rest before responding....oooooooff :lmao:

I understand that perfectly. I am pretty sure a struggle for a gun constitutes a reasonable belief that a person is facing immenent harm. There was nothing the prosecution had that refuted that.
Right... so long as Zimm carried his gun... he could provoke anyone and then claim self defense and shoot them.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/george-zimmermans-girlfriend-drop-charges/story?id=21153527

Scheibe's new affidavit taken Dec. 6 stated, "When I was being questioned by police I felt very intimidated...I believe that the police misinterpreted me and that I may have misspoken about certain facts in my statement to police."

Scheibe wrote that Zimmerman "never pointed a gun at or toward my face in a threatening manner" and that "I want to be with George."

Weintraub claims that Scheibe reached out to her and asked that the order barring contact between herself and Zimmerman be lifted.
This sounds like just another day at the trailer park. Run away, George. If you have half a brain, move a few thousand miles away, change your name, and start over.
I think we need to wait for the unbiased opinion of the guys at the shooting range before we jump to any conclusions about George's innocence here.

I don't necessarily disagree with the timing issue (I was lucky to work in AZ where right before I began work there was a major decision declaring public defenders offices across the state per se ineffective until stringent caseload limitations were put in place), I'm curious as to why you think they have fewer resources. Since an indigent defendant has the right to meaningful representation/defense/fair trial, the state must approve funds necessary to that end. So, practically, a public defender could request the court/admin agency/whatever governmental agency for funds to get an expert, investigator, etc.

In private practice a lawyer is limited to the financial freedom of his client.

ETA: I re-read post and vehemently disagree with your last sentence.
Really? I have a few public defenders in my family, and the fact is, there are only so many hours they can devote to an individual case. Most PD offices are under-funded, and I don't think many of them would allow someone to devote their entire work to one case. There would simply be too many other cases that would pile up.

This just keeps getting better....

George Zimmerman has agreed to take part in a celebrity boxing match, a source close to Zimmerman confirmed to ABC News.

The news was first reported by TMZ.

According to ABC affiliate WFTS, celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman is organizing the March 1 fight.

At this point, no opponent has been selected, and according to TMZ, the proceeds will be donated to charity.

The Florida resident, 30, was acquitted in July for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Well, that's nice.

I mean, some people might be contrite about the fact they murdered a teenager and do something outlandish, like try their best to blend back into a quiet life, but it takes someone of real character and principle to turn the event into the kind of ongoing, attention-grabbing, money-grubbing farce that George Zimmerman has.

And now Mr. "I had to shoot him because I don't know how to punch people back" is planning on making a spectacle of himself by volunteering to get into a ring and beat someone up... why? Just to spit all over Trayvon Martin's grave and prove to everyone he and his lawyers played the Florida judicial system for suckers by claiming he was too helpless to fight back using any other means by stepping up and proving he's perfectly capable of doing so?

George Zimmerman has agreed to take part in a celebrity boxing match, a source close to Zimmerman confirmed to ABC News.

According to ABC affiliate WFTS, celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman is organizing the March 1 fight.

At this point, no opponent has been selected, and according to TMZ, the proceeds will be donated to charity.

The Florida resident, 30, was acquitted in July for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin.

Well, that's nice.

I mean, some people might be contrite about the fact they murdered a teenager and do something outlandish, like try their best to blend back into a quiet life, but it takes someone of real character and principle to turn the event into the kind of ongoing, attention-grabbing, money-grubbing farce that George Zimmerman has.

And now Mr. "I had to shoot him because I don't know how to punch people back" is planning on making a spectacle of himself by volunteering to get into a ring and beat someone up... why? Just to spit all over Trayvon Martin's grave and prove to everyone he and his lawyers played the Florida judicial system for suckers by claiming he was too helpless to fight back using any other means by stepping up and proving he's perfectly capable of doing so?
Haters are gonna hate. He was sucker punched for no reason by a thug who has a history of getting into fights get over it.

Well, that's nice.

When he's losing on all three cards will he pull his Glock out of his glove and shoot his opponent?

5 digit know nothing said:

Well, that's nice.

Haters are gonna hate. He was sucker punched for no reason by a thug who has a history of getting into fights get over it.
:lmao:

This just keeps getting better.... George Zimmerman has agreed to take part in a celebrity boxing match, a source close to Zimmerman confirmed to ABC News.The news was first reported by TMZ.According to ABC affiliate WFTS, celebrity boxing promoter Damon Feldman is organizing the March 1 fight.At this point, no opponent has been selected, and according to TMZ, the proceeds will be donated to charity.The Florida resident, 30, was acquitted in July for the 2012 shooting death of Trayvon Martin. Well, that's nice.I mean, some people might be contrite about the fact they murdered a teenager and do something outlandish, like try their best to blend back into a quiet life, but it takes someone of real character and principle to turn the event into the kind of ongoing, attention-grabbing, money-grubbing farce that George Zimmerman has.And now Mr. "I had to shoot him because I don't know how to punch people back" is planning on making a spectacle of himself by volunteering to get into a ring and beat someone up... why? Just to spit all over Trayvon Martin's grave and prove to everyone he and his lawyers played the Florida judicial system for suckers by claiming he was too helpless to fight back using any other means by stepping up and proving he's perfectly capable of doing so?
Haters gonna hate?

Well, that's nice.

It is less ridiculous than the dump of crap you posted. You take a crap then laugh at someone who does the same. weird really.,

Well, that's nice.

It is less ridiculous than the dump of crap you posted. You take a crap then laugh at someone who does the same. weird really.,

Hater gonna hate? I mean seriously thats what you are posting?
I think it sums up the lunatics following the daily life of George Zimmerman. Why are you and others drooling over any negative press the guy gets so bitter? He was found not guilty and justifiably so, anyone that found themselves on the receiving end of a rage filled teenager would have reacted the same way and saying he should have fought like a man as your response is :loco:

Hater gonna hate? I mean seriously thats what you are posting?
I think it sums up the lunatics following the daily life of George Zimmerman. Why are you and others drooling over any negative press the guy gets so bitter? He was found not guilty and justifiably so, anyone that found themselves on the receiving end of a rage filled teenager would have reacted the same way and saying he should have fought like a man as your response is :loco:
you sir ,are a kook....

and as long as Zimmy keeps putting himself in the public eye with stupid stunts ,people will be watching....if nothing else its entertaining watching his crash and burn

Zimmerman flees Miami with a bounty on his head. :thumbup:

Maybe there will be some justice after all.
I'm OK with Zimmerman going in hiding because he believe their is a bounty on his head such that I never need to hear his name again.

But I'm not OK with anyone else, especially one trying to collect believing this. Besides the inappropriateness of such vigilante justice the last thing this world needs is for Zimmerman to achieve martyr status.

Users who are viewing this thread