What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official "Space Blanket" for Better Call Saul*** (4 Viewers)

It is going to be interesting to see how they get a supporting cast involved in this. In BB, Saul was basically flying solo the whole time. I guess they can have him as part of a team and say he subsequently spun off on his own, but that just doesn't feel right. Plus, the way he advertises himself, it doesn't look as though he'd have a regular client who could act as a co-star with him. Really looking forward to see how they pull this off.

It is going to be interesting to see how they get a supporting cast involved in this. In BB, Saul was basically flying solo the whole time. I guess they can have him as part of a team and say he subsequently spun off on his own, but that just doesn't feel right. Plus, the way he advertises himself, it doesn't look as though he'd have a regular client who could act as a co-star with him. Really looking forward to see how they pull this off.
I'd guess he'll have all kinds of regular clients (just as Walt was) and the stories will develop and rotate amongst them, with one-time situations mixed in.

His secretary, Huell and the redhead dude that looks like the guy from modern family.

It looks like Jesse will be involved.

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/jesse-pinkman-breaking-bad-spinoff/

I'd assume some spot appearances at most. Too much time on Better Call Saul doesn't seem like it'd be the best career move.
Better than a Need For Speed movie
I think pretty much anything's better than continuing to be Jesse Pinkman saying "#####" at every turn.

I never saw any of the Fast & Furious movies, but apparently, people really like the movies about driving cars really fast.

His secretary, Huell and the redhead dude that looks like the guy from modern family.
Kuby

Kuby
Nope, modern family guy

Kuby
Nope, modern family guy
He's Bill ####### Burr you idiots. Some guy on some sitcom may look like Bill Burr, but Bill Burr doesn't look like some ####### guy on some ####### sitcom.

Kuby
Nope, modern family guy
He's Bill ####### Burr you idiots. Some guy on some sitcom may look like Bill Burr, but Bill Burr doesn't look like some ####### guy on some ####### sitcom.
One of the funniest mo-fo's out there.

Posted this in the Breaking Bad thread, but thought Id put it here, too.

I took a brewery tour at Cigar City in Tampa last week, and Odenkirk is apparently giving brewery tours in between his Fargo and Better Call Saul gigs, Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlIFf4wWGvY

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't get why anyone would not expect this to be equally well done and fun to watch.
I think its going to be fun and I'm psyched for it. But it's a tall order to expect the same quality of one of the greatest shows in TV history. Almost seems inevitable to me there'd be a fall off in quality.

I've grown less skeptical about this the further we've gotten from BB. There's enough temporal distance now that a spin-off can potentially breathe on its own. Still skeptical, but less so than before.

I don't get why anyone would not expect this to be equally well done and fun to watch.
I think its going to be fun and I'm psyched for it. But it's a tall order to expect the same quality of one of the greatest shows in TV history. Almost seems inevitable to me there'd be a fall off in quality.
I agree that BB is one of the greatest shows ever, and nothing will likely ever match it (IMO).

Saul will have established characters and we know the writers are capable of carrying on the story, so I'm fully expecting a very entertaining and well done extension to the BB world.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

If ya don't wanna know, don't read!!!

Http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/07/11/better-call-saul-photos/

The producers of Better Call Saul are answering some questions about the hotly anticipated Breaking Bad spin-off prequel, and AMC is releasing some new photos. Writer-producers Vince Gilligan and Peter Gould took questions from reporters at the Television Critics Associations press tour in Beverly Hills on Friday. Heres what we learned:

1. The series regulars and their confirmed character names joining star Bob Odenkirk: Jonathan Banks (Breaking Bad) as fixer Mike Erhmantraut, Michael McKean (This is Spinal Tap) as Chuck, Rhea Seehorn (Franklin & Bash) as Kim, Patrick Fabian (Greys Anatomy) as Hamlin and Michael Mando (Orphan Black) as Nacho.

2. Better Call Saul is set in 2002 six years before Saul (Odenkirk) meets Walter White (Bryan Cranston) in Breaking Bad. Funny enough, that the events in Breaking Bad starting in 2008 is also new information, Gilligan said, noting that the original show never specified what year it took place. I hesitate to say it, but it is indeed a period piece, Gilligan said.

3. Yet the show will definitely jump around in time, as has been widely reported. I think the best way to answer this and not get yelled at is you saw from Breaking Bad that we like non-linear storytelling and jumping around in time, Gilligan said. I would point you in the that direction, that anything thats possible in Breaking Bad is possible in Better Call Saul.

4. Saul Goodmans name in Better Call Saul is not yet Saul Goodman. When we meet Odenkirks character, hes actually known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer hustling to make ends meet and working with Mike. The series will track Jimmys transformation into Saul Goodman.

5. McKean (photo below) plays Goodmans brother. So we have these two comedy legends working together, Gould noted.

6. The show will not copy Breaking Bads neo-Western visual style. Peter came with an idea book of frame grabs from classic movies, like The Conformist, we talked a lot about Kubrick, Gilligan said. Were doing our damndest to make it as different as possible. Its important that this not look like a carbon copy of Breaking Bad.

7. Walter White will only show up if it makes sense: If it makes sense well do it, if it doesnt make sense we wont, Gilligan said. Id love to have him as a director character wise, who knows? Maybe theres a way to do it.

8. Theres a chance fan-favorite villain Gus Fring (Giancarlo Esposito) could return: Theres always a chance, yeah, Gilligan said. Added Gould: These are all characters we love and with Gus there is so much more to say about that character, and we certainly love Giancarlo. Having said that, were trying to make something that stands on its own that has an entertainment value thats not just seeing a series of old favorites. Its not the series equivalent of a clip show. So we try to balance these things out. But I agree theres so much to be said about Gus although in the series it always seemed to me that Saul didnt know Gus directly. He knew a guy who knew a guy.

9. The reason Better Call Saul was pushed from fall to early 2015: I am slow as mud as a TV writer, Gilligan said. We had a pace on Breaking Bad thanks to AMC that was deliciously stately we have a way of doing things thats slower than most tv shows because we want to think everything through and we think that pays dividends.

10. Some Breaking Bad directors are returning: After Gilligans premiere, Michelle MacLaren (Game of Thrones) will direct episode 2, Terry McDonough (who directed the first Saul episode) directs episode 3 and Colin Bucksey (four episodes of Breaking Bad) helms episode four and Adam Bernstein (Fargo) has episode 5.

Better Call Saul is set to premiere in early 2015. As previously announced, Gilligan directed the first episode of the first season, which will consist of 10 epiosdes. The second season will consist of 13 episodes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sebowski said:
Awesome update overall, but bummed about not seeing Bill Burr's name.
Seriously. :kicksrock:
The Patrick Kuby character didn't show up until early in Season 4, so if it's true that Better Call Saul takes place before, during and after Breaking Bad, he'd be more likely to show up later on (assuming the story is shown in chronological order, although I suspect it will have scenes where it jumps around, similar to BB).

Okay, I'll be the wet blanket. :oldunsure:

I love Saul as much as the rest of you, but he's highly effective in the relatively small doses we get of him. Might his shtick get a little (a lot?) annoying having to carry his own show?
I understand AMC's motivation but don't understand why Gilligan would want to touch the BB world.

Saul is a great character but so difficult to build a show around him. He's not a leading man. You don't want to be Saul. Not all about looks. Tony Soprano and Vic Mackey are not lookers but you enjoy putting yourself in their position. Saul doesn't have the underdog persona either. You don't root for him like you do Dinklage in GoT.

Hard to find a series with a lead like Saul. Fargo, the series, comes close. Was an ensemble cast but M. Freeman would probably be considered the lead. Don't think Better Call Saul will be as much of an ensemble. Will be hard to pull off. Especially when you know how Saul ends up.

Steve Buscemi is a great actor but the reason Boardwalk Empire is somewhat of a disappointment is because men don't want to be him and woman don't want to be with him. BE is not sexy nor tough.

Users who are viewing this thread