What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Arian Foster - All Foster news, all the time (2 Viewers)

Speaking Monday, Texans coach Bill O'Brien declined to update Arian Foster's (groin) status, saying only that he's "day to day."
Dont forget this part of the Rotowrold post-

It was a supremely unhelpful "update" heading into the Texans' bye week. With the off week looming, Foster got hurt at the right time, but he should be considered highly questionable for Week 11. Foster's injuries have a way of lingering, and he was visibly frustrated after leaving Sunday's loss to the Eagles. For what it's worth, both CBS and NFL Network have reported that the injury isn't believed to be serious. For now, owners need to sit tight, and have Alfred Blue on speed dial.
For what? The 14-59 line that he is likely to put up with Foster out? Handcuffs work out only in rare occasions. He's a backup for a reason - he's subpar.
Jeremy Hill would disagree.
Anyone can pull out a 1 or 2 game sample and call a guy a success. Not to mention Hill is a MUCH better RB than Blue is. Not a good comparison at all.

Plus he's backing up Arian Foster. Doesn't really matter how good he is, he's not outplaying Foster short of being the 2nd coming of Eric Dickerson.

Plus he's backing up Arian Foster. Doesn't really matter how good he is, he's not outplaying Foster short of being the 2nd coming of Eric Dickerson.
I think on the high end Blue gets you 40-50% of what a healthy Foster does. You think Blue is running a deep sideline route for a 56 yard TD? Me neither.

I'm a Foster owner who didn't have Blue rostered and am getting silly trade offers. Blue for Gordon/McKinnon, Blue for Ellington, etc etc. You would think after several years people would realize that Foster is a special talent. Blue instantly becomes Darren McFadden as the Texans starter. What did Blue go, like 7 for 13 yesterday? He stinks. I can only hope Foster's season isn't over since I am solidly in the playoffs right now.
There are people who still think Foster is JAG in a great system.
Could be true. Except that he is doing very well IN A NEW SYSTEM this year. I guess whatever system they run he is good, so he is a system RB.

Blue's a hard runner who will get what's blocked for him and sometimes a bit more. On volume I think he can be a serviceable RB2. Really, it's hard to fill Foster's cleats. His patience and vision are IMO the best in the league..both of which are unteachable.

FWIW (per Bleacher Report):

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that running back Arian Foster is unlikely to miss any time with the groin injury he suffered Sunday against the Eagles because of the team's extended break, per a source informed of his injury.

Rapoport was told that Foster -- the league's second-leading rusher -- bypassed additional medical testing and simply needs rest above anything else. The Texans don't play the Browns for another 13 days, which should help Foster get back on the field for a Houston squad angling to improve upon its 4-5 record.

Last edited by a moderator:
#beastmode said:

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported Monday that running back Arian Foster is unlikely to miss any time with the groin injury he suffered Sunday against the Eagles because of the team's extended break, per a source informed of his injury.

Rapoport was told that Foster -- the league's second-leading rusher -- bypassed additional medical testing and simply needs rest above anything else. The Texans don't play the Browns for another 13 days, which should help Foster get back on the field for a Houston squad angling to improve upon its 4-5 record.
BUT BUT BUT HE SLAMMED HIS HELMET! WE CAN'T TRUST AN INSIDER! NON CONTACT GROIN INJURIES ARE CAREER ENDING!

#beastmode said:

BUT BUT BUT HE SLAMMED HIS HELMET! WE CAN'T TRUST AN INSIDER! NON CONTACT GROIN INJURIES ARE CAREER ENDING!
Just to be clear, he has not taken the field in his next game yet... so don't go jinxing it.

not sure if this "source" IS Ian rapaport, or a different one...

Per Rotoworld:

A source tells NFL Network that Arian Foster (groin) is unlikely to miss time following the Texans' Week 10 bye.
Ian Rapoport has been told that Foster just needs rest more than anything else. It confirms that this is not a severe pull, but we'd still consider Foster questionable for Week 11 due to the unpredictably nature of soft-tissue injuries. He's struggled to get over calf and hamstring tweaks over the last couple years. Alfred Blue is the insurance add.
Source: NFL.com
Nov 4 - 8:35 AM

Last edited by a moderator:
So, obviously the most recent reports are suggesting that Foster "shouldn't miss any time;" but the blurb below notes that Foster didn't have any additional testing done. Does that mean he didn't get a MRI, or that he isn't getting another one? If he didn't get a MRI, how do the Texans know it isn't a serious injury? :confused:

bypassed additional medical testing

So, obviously the most recent reports are suggesting that Foster "shouldn't miss any time;" but the blurb below notes that Foster didn't have any additional testing done. Does that mean he didn't get a MRI, or that he isn't getting another one? If he didn't get a MRI, how do the Texans know it isn't a serious injury? :confused:

Read yesterday that teams do additional testing if initial MRI shows damage. Lack of additional testing is usually a positive sign that nothing severe was found. I'll see if I can find the report.

Read yesterday that teams do additional testing if initial MRI shows damage. Lack of additional testing is usually a positive sign that nothing severe was found. I'll see if I can find the report.
OK-thanks. If they got a MRI, and then determined that no additional testing was needed, that's the best news there could be, I guess.

always get a chuckle when analysts read into player reactions on the field. I remember last year Shady McCoy went down in a game and from his reaction you'd think he just shattered both legs and was diagnosed with the AIDS. He was back in the game after halftime.

Maybe Foster slammed his helmet because he was carving up the Philly defense and didn't want to leave the game.

always get a chuckle when analysts read into player reactions on the field. I remember last year Shady McCoy went down in a game and from his reaction you'd think he just shattered both legs and was diagnosed with the AIDS. He was back in the game after halftime.

Maybe Foster slammed his helmet because he was carving up the Philly defense and didn't want to leave the game.
It's also possible that Foster is just getting tired of all the soft tissue injuries, even if they are relatively minor in severity in comparison to what he's dealt with in the past. I mean, the dude is arguably the best running back in the league but his body just won't cooperate with him.

From his comments, I get the feeling that he is very in tune with his body at this point in his career. Maybe in the past he would've tried to play through a groin tweak but that's proven to be a losing formula for him. I think he's just generally frustrated.

This. It was the first game with Reid as head coach of KC. Shady went down and it looked like an absolute ACL tear, judging by his reaction-the entirety of the bar that I was in collectively #### for about five minutes. Shady went on to finish the day with 160 on the ground.

It's also possible that Foster is just getting tired of all the soft tissue injuries, even if they are relatively minor in severity in comparison to what he's dealt with in the past. I mean, the dude is arguably the best running back in the league but his body just won't cooperate with him.

From his comments, I get the feeling that he is very in tune with his body at this point in his career. Maybe in the past he would've tried to play through a groin tweak but that's proven to be a losing formula for him. I think he's just generally frustrated.
In the past, but also in the very recent past. 6 weeks ago he played before his hamstring had fully healed posting 8/6/0 rushing (Blue had 9/9/0). Foster's risked re-aggravation instead of letting it heal, and it wasn't that long ago. A lot of fantasy teams lost that week thinking he would only return if he was 100%.

If he plays in week 11, you can't sit him but we should at least acknowledge that he might play the way he did against Buffalo...basically backing up Blue, playing mostly 3rd downs and passing situations.

I'm asking the exact same thing. Did they do an MRI and bypass something else (like what?) or did they just check him out and bypass the MRI? IMO, any team would be crazy NOT to get an MRI to evaluate the severity of a groin injury to their only offensive star, but the linked story isn't conclusive.

In the past, but also in the very recent past. 6 weeks ago he played before his hamstring had fully healed posting 8/6/0 rushing (Blue had 9/9/0). Foster's risked re-aggravation instead of letting it heal, and it wasn't that long ago. A lot of fantasy teams lost that week thinking he would only return if he was 100%.

If he plays in week 11, you can't sit him but we should at least acknowledge that he might play the way he did against Buffalo...basically backing up Blue, playing mostly 3rd downs and passing situations.
Just for clarity, he was thrown to 10 times in that game, catching 7 for 55 yards. So giving him 15 touches must mean that they didn't think the risk of further injury was that significant.

Just for clarity, he was thrown to 10 times in that game, catching 7 for 55 yards. So giving him 15 touches must mean that they didn't think the risk of further injury was that significant.
was going to post the same thing. He played late into that game as well, its not like he tried to play and took himself out in the first. Obviously, the low carries sucked but he was still integral to their game plan. If he starts for real, he starts for fantasy.

unckeyherb said:
dhockster said:
VandyMan said:
SameSongNDance said:
Rick James said:

was going to post the same thing. He played late into that game as well, its not like he tried to play and took himself out in the first. Obviously, the low carries sucked but he was still integral to their game plan. If he starts for real, he starts for fantasy.
I should have included the receiving numbers for context. Agreed.

unckeyherb said:
dhockster said:
VandyMan said:
SameSongNDance said:
Rick James said:

I should have included the receiving numbers for context. Agreed.
I actually think that game is a good example of what I was trying to touch on. I'm going to assume that Foster and the medical staff came to the conclusion mid game that the risk of re-injury was higher than they'd like this his role was scaled back. Maybe in the past he tries to push through it? Also, interestingly enough, Foster was RB18 that week in PPR, outscoring dudes who touched the ball 15-20 times and/or found the end zone.

Rotoworld:

Arian Foster (groin) "plans to play" in Week 11, following the Texans' Week 10 bye.

NFL Network already reported Foster was "unlikely to miss time" despite tweaking his groin in Houston's Week 9 loss to Philadelphia. Foster is worth handcuffing with Alfred Blue, but there doesn't appear to be any reason for concern. The Texans have a cakewalk forthcoming run-defense schedule, facing the Browns, Bengals, Titans, Jaguars, and Colts in succession after the bye.

Source: Tania Ganguli on Twitter
Nov 5 - 8:51 PM

OK-thanks. If they got a MRI, and then determined that no additional testing was needed, that's the best news there could be, I guess.
If I read correctly he refused the MRI, and after evaluation the team concurred that it wasn't necessary.

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Arian Foster (groin) "plans to play" in Week 11, following the Texans' Week 10 bye.

NFL Network already reported Foster was "unlikely to miss time" despite tweaking his groin in Houston's Week 9 loss to Philadelphia. Foster is worth handcuffing with Alfred Blue, but there doesn't appear to be any reason for concern. The Texans have a cakewalk forthcoming run-defense schedule, facing the Browns, Bengals, Titans, Jaguars, and Colts in succession after the bye.

Source: Tania Ganguli on Twitter

Nov 5 - 8:51 PM
I heard his helmet is a game time decision.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:

If I read correctly he refused the MRI, and after evaluation the team concurred that it wasn't necessary.
Logic says the Texans would have done an MRI on Foster. Why would you NOT get an MRI to evaluate a groin injury (high risk of re-aggravation, potential multi-week injury) to the team's primary offensive weapon? Because he didn't want one? BS. Look at the Bills yesterday. Watkins tweaked a groin in practice and had an MRI immediately.

I liked the late bye this season for this very reason. Couldn't have come at a better time.

And now with Mallet being inserted as the starter it will hopefully open things up more and create even more scoring opportunities for Foster. Fitz was so limited and really could not drive the ball or threaten the defense downfield in any significant way. My only concern is how well Mallet will do with checkdowns and hitting Foster on intermediate throws. Some big arm QBs really struggle in doing those things.

And now with Mallet being inserted as the starter it will hopefully open things up more and create even more scoring opportunities for Foster. Fitz was so limited and really could not drive the ball or threaten the defense downfield in any significant way. My only concern is how well Mallet will do with checkdowns and hitting Foster on intermediate throws. Some big arm QBs really struggle in doing those things.
Fitz is limited for sure but you're dreaming.

ROYALWITCHEESE said:

Logic says the Texans would have done an MRI on Foster. Why would you NOT get an MRI to evaluate a groin injury (high risk of re-aggravation, potential multi-week injury) to the team's primary offensive weapon? Because he didn't want one? BS. Look at the Bills yesterday. Watkins tweaked a groin in practice and had an MRI immediately.
Because MRIs are not 100% accurate nor are they necessarily related to symptoms?

Foster out of practice Wed Nov 12, 04:50 PM

Houston Texans RB Arian Foster (groin) did not practice Wednesday, Nov. 12.

Foster missed practice on the Wednesday before he injured himself (week 9) simply for rest purposes. I don't read too much into him missing practice today; tomorrow will be much more telling.

He was also interviewed today saying his groin "feels great".

Something else to take note of. The game calls for a 40% of snow. Foster has never played in a snow game in his career.

He was also interviewed today saying his groin "feels great".

Something else to take note of. The game calls for a 40% of snow. Foster has never played in a snow game in his career.
The first thought that popped into my head was the snow game last year between the Eagles and Lions. McCoy was a beast. Can we hope for the same from Foster?

:hifive: [SIZE=13.63636302948px] [/SIZE]

Adrian Peterson is better.
My main league running backs are as follows: note: ppr league

Forte

Foster

Ingram

Peterson

oh, Luck is my QB.

Foster had a pinched nerve (Sciatica) in his lower back and left leg last year. Surgery seems to have been successful. This year, he's having soft tissue (muscle) issues. I am confident he will only play when healthy and be very productive.

Hoping for A.P. to return by week 13?

I may be reading too much into this but I still think Foster is far from a sure thing to play this week.

Arian Foster is “definitely day-to-day,” according to coach Bill O’Brien.

Foster, who’s nursing a groin injury, was asked how he felt and said, “great.”

Foster expects to play.

“That’s the plan, going to keep on working out,” he said. “We shall see.”

Definitely day to day to day kind of implies that there is doubt whether he'll play.

Foster's quote while positive in tone does leave some doubt at the end. "We shall see". If he feels great why didn't he practice?

"We shall see". If he feels great why didn't he practice?
Why risk it? Would be the dumbest thing ever to practice and reaggrevate the injury several days before the game.

If he plays he is in your lineup, unless you have some other really good options in case you dont wanna risk him pulling up lame early on in the game.

When the injury happened I thought he would miss a few weeks for sure. They are saying all the right things but don't be surprised if it's all a show to mask him missing some time

When the injury happened I thought he would miss a few weeks for sure. They are saying all the right things but don't be surprised if it's all a show to mask him missing some time
Of course you may be right, but what made you think that? At no point was there any indication that he'd miss time. In fact they didn't even do an MRI which would indicate that it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Sit every player who sits out a Wednesday practice and see what your lineup looks like.

If a player misses consecutive practices or Friday practice, that's a reason for some real concern. But panicking because a heavily used starter misses Wednesday? You haven't been paying attention much.

I have an offer on the table to acquire Foster for the playoff push by giving up Ellington and Jeffery with the league trade deadline at kickoff tonight, so I'm really curious to see if he practices at least in a "limited" fashion today.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/11/13/arian-foster-expects-to-play-despite-missing-wednesdays-practice/

Arian Foster expects to play despite missing Wednesday’s practicePosted by Josh Alper on November 13, 2014, 9:45 AM EST

The Texans are starting Ryan Mallett at quarterback for the first time this weekend in a battle of former Tom Brady backups with Brian Hoyer and the Browns.

It would make Mallett’s life much easier if the Texans ground game can put forth a strong effort against a forgiving Browns run defense and getting that strong effort would be much easier if Arian Foster is able to play. Foster didn’t practice on Wednesday as he continues to nurse the groin injury that he suffered in Week Nine, leading coach Bill O’Brien to call him “definitely day-to-day” even as Foster says he expects to be in the lineup.

“That’s the plan, going to keep on working out,” Foster said, via the Houston Chronicle. “We shall see.”

Foster has 822 rushing yards through the first nine games of the season, which is good for second in the league behind DeMarco Murray, and the Browns have allowed 134 yards per game on the ground. If he does play, he should be a focal point for both the Houston offense and the Cleveland defense.

I am a Foster owner who has Blue as well. His words don't seem promising and groin injuries are tricky for RBs.

The problem is, Blue does not instill any confidence in me whatsover with his season 3.4 YPC and 6th round pedigree.

I am a Foster owner who has Blue as well. His words don't seem promising and groin injuries are tricky for RBs.

The problem is, Blue does not instill any confidence in me whatsover with his season 3.4 YPC and 6th round pedigree.
Obviously, it would be best for FFers if he said, "I'm 100%, definitely going to play, no limitations," AND he practiced in full every day, but that's not the case.

It's a 1:00 game, so IF he doesn't go, hopefully you have a replacement that you can plug in.

He will play. The only thing going on here is the coaches are trying to draw attention away from Foster in the Browns' planning for the game because the Texans have made a change at QB and have invested a week and a half in a heavy run game to alleviate pressure on Mallet.

He will play and all the fantasy owners will get their 20+ points.

Users who are viewing this thread