What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Will the Pittsburgh Stillers Pass on Bridgewater with pick #1? (1 Viewer)

Paulymaggs

Footballguy
....#1 OVERALL pick that is, in the 2014 draft?

Would be a big mistake if they do, imo.

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah

there's no way the steelers get #1

I still think there's no way they finish behind the browns

I'll play along.... I don't really see a scenerio that makes taking a DE over a possible franchise QB a good decision. I really don't care who you have. The bust rate on defensive players isn't much different from the bust rate at QB.

They colts let Peyton Manning walk and Ben is no Manning.

If the Steelers are in a position to pick the future franchise QB in round 1 I think they will.

Steeler's offense is teh suck and probably isn't going to get better, but the defense is going to win some games for them this year -- unless the aging vets all get hurt in which case all bets are off.

Was grudgingly impressed with them last night. Figured they were going to get roasted, but they played very tough.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Ben%20Roethlisberger&Position=QB&Team=Steelers

You guys should actually look at contracts. I suspect the Steelers don't want to have 13 million in dead cap space from cutting Roth.

They need skill players and O line help more than anything IMO.
They won't cut Roethlisberger. Ben is only 31. Barring injury he isn't going anywhere.

The Steelers have so many needs I suspect they would try to trade down if they finish with a top 5 pick.

Steelers play the Browns twice and the Raiders, Jets, and Bills. They ain't gettin the first pick.

http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Name=Ben%20Roethlisberger&Position=QB&Team=Steelers

You guys should actually look at contracts. I suspect the Steelers don't want to have 13 million in dead cap space from cutting Roth.

They need skill players and O line help more than anything IMO.
They won't cut Roethlisberger. Ben is only 31. Barring injury he isn't going anywhere.

The Steelers have so many needs I suspect they would try to trade down if they finish with a top 5 pick.
They could let Bridgewater sit behind Ben for a year and then trade him in 2015. Only a $5.8M cap hit then.

I don't think the Steelers see Ben as one of their problems that needs fixing. Can't imagine that they'll give any consideration at all to going QB in the first.

Also I don't think Bridgewater is seen as an Andrew Luck caliber prospect right now.

The Steelers might be bad. but they arent top 5 or top 10 pick bad..

They will be stuck in that 15-20 range. Kind of like the Chargers have been.

Not bad enough to really suck but not good enough to make the playoffs.

They get Heath soon, and Bell.. Those will both help alot..

Heath could be the most underrated te in football.. He will make a big difference when he returns

They should draft the best available WR. Asking Antonio Brown or Emmanuel Sanders to be your #1 WR = fail.

Also.. Ben really isnt the problem.

That o line for as much as they invested in it, is terrible.

Both tackles stink.

Decastro looks over matched.

Foster is playable,

Versasco looks like the best linemen and he just joined the team.

Also his wide outs, while they are good.. They arent big and arent much more than a Wr 2 or 3 on most teams.

Brown and Sanders would be great in the Eagles offense.

Ben really could use a 6 foot 5 guy who gets after it. Derek Moye has potential there but staff doesnt seem to be using him enough in that number 2 role.

I'd love them to grab a big physical wr (Evans from A&M, Coleman from RU are 2 that come to mind). I am sure there is others but those 2 come to mind right now.

The Steelers might be bad. but they arent top 5 or top 10 pick bad..

They will be stuck in that 15-20 range. Kind of like the Chargers have been.

Not bad enough to really suck but not good enough to make the playoffs.

They get Heath soon, and Bell.. Those will both help alot..

Heath could be the most underrated te in football.. He will make a big difference when he returns
They aren't #1 overall pick bad, but I highly doubt they're drafting in the 15-20 range this year. I'm struggling to come up with a half dozen teams that are worse right now.

Steelers probably won't have the #1 pick, but LOL at the post above that they'll be around 15th. Pittsburgh is a lock for a top-10 pick, and unless Leveon Bell can turn the run game around, top-5 pick.

The Steelers already had a bottom-10 O-line in the league with Pouncey, they're now the worst O-line in the NFL. They have the worst WR corps aside from the Jets and Raiders. They're an awful team. If Big Ben gets hurt behind that awful line, they may have a shot at #1.

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Pittsburgh. They still have BigBen who knows how to win, and a rock solid defense that will keep them in/win games for them along the way.

Let's get real, this a veteran team with a solid coaching staff. I know they have some O-line struggles, but c'mon....their season isn't over yet.

The Steelers already had a bottom-10 O-line in the league with Pouncey, they're now the worst O-line in the NFL. They have the worst WR corps aside from the Jets and Raiders.
Give me Holmes, Hill, and Kerley all day over these jokers.

Brown and Sanders are decent. The problem is that they'd be much better as a #2 or #3. Neither one of those guys scares anyone as a #1 target.

Sorry, folks. It's the Rams who will be on the clock, thanks to the Skins. They'll keep throwing a one-legged QB on the field and finish in the tank. The Rams will then shop that #1 overall to get further massive quantities of picks, and the Circle Of Life can continue.

Though Bridgewater may still be there for the Steelers at #2...

I wouldn't be so quick to write off Pittsburgh. They still have BigBen who knows how to win, and a rock solid defense that will keep them in/win games for them along the way.

Let's get real, this a veteran team with a solid coaching staff. I know they have some O-line struggles, but c'mon....their season isn't over yet.
The problem is the QB/coach fit. They brought in Todd Haley, who is about as bad a mismatch for what Ben does well as they could find. The sooner they figure that out and fire Haley (you can't cut Ben with his contract) the better off they'll be.

Haley is a good coach and coordinator... he's just a bad fit in Pittsburgh.

Sorry, folks. It's the Rams who will be on the clock, thanks to the Skins. They'll keep throwing a one-legged QB on the field and finish in the tank. The Rams will then shop that #1 overall to get further massive quantities of picks, and the Circle Of Life can continue.

C'mon. Redskins are off to a disappointing start, but there's no way they're first pick contenders.

C'mon. Redskins are off to a disappointing start, but there's no way they're first pick contenders.
That depends. Will the NFL keep insisting on the first half of games?

The problem is the QB/coach fit. They brought in Todd Haley, who is about as bad a mismatch for what Ben does well as they could find. The sooner they figure that out and fire Haley (you can't cut Ben with his contract) the better off they'll be.

Haley is a good coach and coordinator... he's just a bad fit in Pittsburgh.
I am not so sure there

he seems to have trouble fitting in everywhere

It is the Jaguars and it isn't even close. Now if you want to say this years quarterback class is very good and the Steelers have the 10th or so pick and one of the other quarterbacks fall to them, the way Tannehill did for the Dolphins. I think they should consider it, let the rookie ride the pine for a year or 2 and then trade Big Ben to a quarterback needy team, like maybe Arizona.

Steelers probably won't have the #1 pick, but LOL at the post above that they'll be around 15th. Pittsburgh is a lock for a top-10 pick, and unless Leveon Bell can turn the run game around, top-5 pick.

The Steelers already had a bottom-10 O-line in the league with Pouncey, they're now the worst O-line in the NFL. They have the worst WR corps aside from the Jets and Raiders. They're an awful team. If Big Ben gets hurt behind that awful line, they may have a shot at #1.
There a lock for a top 10 pick after 2 games?

Lmao.

If they are going to be bad, I would prefer they did complete stink and end up with a top 5-10 pick where they can get an impact player, but there defense will keep them in pretty much every game.The offense is going to get better once Heath and Bell are back (it cant get worse).

And honestly after last night games. the Steelers had 2 big plays on offense, the one got called back on a questionable tripping call (next play was the big sack) turning point in the game, and the other was a fumble inside the 20 with a back up te.

2 plays go there way they could of been on the winning end of that game.

The overreactions after week 2 are always exciting though.

It is the Jaguars and it isn't even close. Now if you want to say this years quarterback class is very good and the Steelers have the 10th or so pick and one of the other quarterbacks fall to them, the way Tannehill did for the Dolphins. I think they should consider it, let the rookie ride the pine for a year or 2 and then trade Big Ben to a quarterback needy team, like maybe Arizona.
This could happen but Idk. They did I think waste a 4th rounder on Landry but they must of seen something they liked.

Should be a good qb class.

Bridgewater,

Miller,

Boyd,

Carr?

Forget someone?

Maybe Johnny Football

It just seems like with the qbs in college now most of them can come in and play right away. And if you still think Ben has 2-3 years after this left. Are you gonna get rid of him after this year? I dont believe that happens.

They would be better off a big play wr and it would make everything better. Or a Tackle. I think a middle of Pouncey, Versasco and Decastro would be fine. Its the tackles are trash though and they need to just cut bait with both of them. and grab a Taylor Lewan or something

I think we had this same discussion a year ago except it was the Browns and Geno Smith. A lot can change before its draft time.

Don't count out my Vikings. They are finding new and creative ways to lose each week. It wouldn't shock me to see the Browns take them down.

Jacksonville gets no respect! Clearly they are the front runner for the first pick an yet people still do not want to recognize the Jags.

Jacksonville gets no respect! Clearly they are the front runner for the first pick an yet people still do not want to recognize the Jags.
This could happen but Idk. They did I think waste a 4th rounder on Landry but they must of seen something they liked.

Bridgewater,

Miller,

Boyd,

Carr?

Forget someone?

Maybe Johnny Football

It just seems like with the qbs in college now most of them can come in and play right away. And if you still think Ben has 2-3 years after this left. Are you gonna get rid of him after this year? I dont believe that happens.

They would be better off a big play wr and it would make everything better. Or a Tackle. I think a middle of Pouncey, Versasco and Decastro would be fine. Its the tackles are trash though and they need to just cut bait with both of them. and grab a Taylor Lewan or something
David Fales.

Junior McSpiffy said:

:thumbsup: Rams trade the Was first rounder received from the RG3 deal to another qb hungry team for their 2015 and 2016 firsts. This is just too tasty to actually happen.

It depends on exactly how he graded out, obviously.

But remember, we/Steelers contacted the Rams about the #1 overall pick the year they took Bradford (we were very interested in him).

And dangled Ben in the offer, tho Ben was getting some negative press at time.

Sweet Love said:
jwp said:
I think we had this same discussion a year ago except it was the Browns and Geno Smith. A lot can change before its draft time.
People were still considering Geno the #1 overall pick a month before the draft.
Bridgewater is different though, he would have been the top quarterback taken if he could have came out last year.

Bridgewater should be the #1 pick no matter what team you are. Take the best player available. If you don't need him right away, he will be worth more in picks than what you paid for when you decide to trade him.

Jacksonville is both bad and getting beset by injuries. Hard pressed to see them not being on the clock. The schedule is brutal for them as well.

2 against the Texans

2 against the Colts

2 against the Titans who so far look better than expected

Games against the 49ers, Seahawks, Rams and Cardinals

Games against the Broncos and Chargers

Games against the Browns and Bills

Not a lot of wins there even if they were merely bad.

The Steelers look shot. Ben is not the same - I've seen a lot of Ben as a Bengals fan and his houdini act in making plays - there was still some of that but not as much. The injuries hurt but rushing Bell back doesn't seem like a good play. The WRs are not on the same page as Ben. The cap situation for them is just devastating though. It's a team with a lot of needs (though I think they are looking around pick 8 not pick 1 - not for 2015, especially if they decide to cleanse themselves of the cap issues all at once - then we could be looking at a team with the first pick).

The fun thing is that draft classes move around so much. Geno Smith certainly wasn't seen as a guy landing in the 40s/wherever the Jets picked him. Things happen. I don't think they'll prioritize QB this year but if they somehow stumble badly and get a chance at what's seen as a franchise guy I don't think they'd shrink from taking him, liking sitting him behind Ben for a year Rodgers-style. QB is more likely at 2015 proposition though.

-QG

cstu said:
Wadsworth said:
ebsteelers said:
msudaisy26 said:

Bridgewater,

Miller,

Boyd,

Carr?

Forget someone?

Maybe Johnny Football

David Fales.
name i forgot was marcus maroita (spelling).. granted if eagles are in front of pitt thats where he will be going

NE has a history of acquiring picks. Id say theres a chance they may be willing to move up 5-10 spots to take the pick. Pitt has needs and would probably enjoy having extra picks

Users who are viewing this thread