What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Chiefs D rest of the season (1 Viewer)

Beerguzzler

Footballguy
I'm all in. They look legit. Surprisingly the crap, turnover free ball control offense should help not put the D in too many bad positions to give up points this week. If they are still available, buy, buy, buy.

Week 14 - Washington

Week 15 - Oakland

Week 16 - Indy

Last edited by a moderator:
Played them week one in one league kept them since, picked them up last week in my other league as well. Played them in both tonight.

They looked pretty darn good....looks like they are an every week start.

Believe it! Started them all season long in my 2 leagues. I knew from what I seen at training camp and Bob Sutton's philosophy the D would make plays.

This defense is for real. Been keeping an eye on them but after tonight I'm a believer. Except for a game against Houston and 2 against Denver they look like an every week play to me. Three games in and 34 points allowed, 2 td's, 14 sacks, 4 picks and 5 fumbles recovered......I like that alot

With that defense and the almost zero TO ratio of the offense, they can post a +20 and more in the takeaway/giveaway. Nice defense in KC.

I have SEA .... and will play KCC on matchups. hard to think SEA will have more FP's this week than KC but against JAX had to roll with SEA at home

Was gonna pick them up this week but was scared off of the new and improved Eagles offense. meh. dumb non-move.

KC was my league's #1 fantasy defense through 2 weeks. They definitely will be after week 3 too. How in the world were they on anyone's waiver wire?

Was gonna pick them up this week but was scared off of the new and improved Eagles offense. meh. dumb non-move.
I did the exact same thing and kicking myself for it now....Eagles had been so good about protecting Vick and the ball the first two weeks.

Me too.....Now going to roll with the Texans this week. Tough to decide who to cut for them. But they are leading our league in D/ST scoring.

KC was my league's #1 fantasy defense through 2 weeks. They definitely will be after week 3 too. How in the world were they on anyone's waiver wire?
I think many were swayed by KC's week one performance v. JAX. Like...let's see how they play against real offenses. They played decently against DAL last week and was slightly above middle of the pack in scoring.

I grabbed them and BUF and quickly dropped both PA teams to play matchups the rest of the way. However, after last night's performance, I may plug them in for good. They looked really good despite Flowers being hobbled.

If I recall they were terrible last year. Why the sudden change?
I think by most, they were considered "disappointing" last year. Too many holes teams could pick on, and a terrible, terrible offense that forced them to be on the field and playing from behind constantly.

Added some good, solid veterans to sure up the holes, kept the stud-level talents that gave them that "potential" before the collapse last year, and obviously totally revamped the offense into one that is starting to remind a lot of the 13-3 Alex Smith 49ers. Control the hell out of the ball, make as close to zero mistakes as humanly possible, and play with a lead a lot of the time. Force the opposing offense to have to be the one that's pushing and making critical errors, rather than putting your D in a vulnerable position.

I'm starting to think we football fans as a community have just grossly misjudged Alex Smith. There's this perception that there are dynamic QB's, and then there are game managers. And Alex is clearly more of the second one. But he may just be a Kung-Fu master among game managers. Guy has taken the art of avoiding mistakes to a really impressive level, and even though you don't see him out there making things happen so often, it seems like week after week he gets his team in "good enough" position. I've become a fan, and I'll bet defensive players just love this guy. :thumbup:

They are still available in plenty of leagues and are a better weekly option than rent a defense IMO. You will need to find a replacement against the two Denver games, however.

Their D-line rotation is making plays! They are also keeping blockers off of the linebackers and the LBs are feasting! Add to that the scary secondary they have with Sean Smith, Dunta, and Flowers...OH...and Berry! No reason to think they can't keep it up.

I'm starting to think we football fans as a community have just grossly misjudged Alex Smith. :thumbup:
Alex Smith is 22-5-1 as a starting QB since the start of the '11 season.
:thumbup:

Well aware.

But I think consensus opinion would be that he got there primarily riding the coattails of a league-elite defense.

Yet here he is with last year's "disappointing" defense, and they're league-elite in the early going, including two excellent outings against really explosive offenses. While the league-elite defense he left behind is being gashed left and right.

I think a mistake-free game manager who plays his role at an elite level like Smith does is a boon to an NFL defense above and beyond the credit he receives -- both in the press and in fantasy circles. I'm not going to say I saw that coming, or even thought to think of it in terms like that heading into the season, but I'm definitely thinking about it now.

Smith may just be the biggest reason for the leap forward we're seeing by the KC defense this season. :shrug:

Because your Bills play the Jets twice, the Dolphins twice, the browns, steelers and Jaguars (in week 15). But if I can keep them and get Chiefs in Blind Bidding, it could be a nice tandem to have

I really think the majority of the team really just gave up last year. They were frustrated with losing, frustrated with the coaches, they had the tragedy of Jovan Belcher.

It was kind of just depressing all around.

I dropped them this week for the Vikings DEF. The Eagle offense scared me off. We'll see how that all works out.

Pretty simple.

1. Andy Reid plus Alex Smith.

2. New attacking 3-4. Bob Sutton was DC in Jets land at one point. The front 3 are acutally attacking, pressing vs holding ground for the linebackers to clean up.

3. Poe. This guy gets it..made a commitment to improve from his rookie year and is playing unbelievable.

4. Addition of Akeem Jordan, Sean Smith, Dunta Robinson, Mike Devito are huge.

5. SS Lewis is healthy, Eric Berry seems more comfortable with his knee.

6. It all boils down to very good coaching. All 3 games the players have been in position to make plays.

KC only had 27 sacks all year fellas, they are more than half way there in 3 games. BRING IT! Denver is still the class of the division. I wonder how much they will miss Clady some game time in week 10.

Because your Bills play the Jets twice, the Dolphins twice, the browns, steelers and Jaguars (in week 15). But if I can keep them and get Chiefs in Blind Bidding, it could be a nice tandem to have
Cha Ching! My def tandem as of last week!

Pretty simple.

1. Andy Reid plus Alex Smith.

2. New attacking 3-4. Bob Sutton was DC in Jets land at one point. The front 3 are acutally attacking, pressing vs holding ground for the linebackers to clean up.

3. Poe. This guy gets it..made a commitment to improve from his rookie year and is playing unbelievable.

4. Addition of Akeem Jordan, Sean Smith, Dunta Robinson, Mike Devito are huge.

5. SS Lewis is healthy, Eric Berry seems more comfortable with his knee.

6. It all boils down to very good coaching. All 3 games the players have been in position to make plays.

KC only had 27 sacks all year fellas, they are more than half way there in 3 games. BRING IT! Denver is still the class of the division. I wonder how much they will miss Clady some game time in week 10.
I guess your Alex Smith point covers this ---- but a lot of this was addition by subtraction i.e. getting rid of Cassel who was a turnover machine left year, thus constantly putting the defense in untenable positions.

This defense is legit. I like them so much, that I waived my only defense to make room for them before this week's matchup (Minnesota) because we have short benches, and I didn't want to waive a solid backup at other positions. It's risky passing on points in my empty Def slot, but I'm 2-0 going up against a 0-2 team, and could not pass on rostering such a potential difference maker for my starting lineup during the rest of the season. I'm normally a rent-a-defense guy, but could not resist the points the KC D rolled up the past three weeks. Gimme!

Have any of you super sharks determined the best defense to grab for the two Denver matchups?

I'm all in. They look legit. Surprisingly the crap, turnover free ball control offense should help not put the D in too many bad positions to give up points this week. If they are still available, buy, buy, buy.

Week 14 - Washington

Week 15 - Oakland

Week 16 - Indy
I've already bought in, but not because of that playoff schedule. Week 15 is nice, but not the others.

Same line of thinking as others, scooped them up in 2 of my leagues and will ride the year out now.

(To bad I played Denver and Minn D this week in those 2 leagues, hope I don't get totally hosed) :(

How bad are they going to beat up on the Titans without locker? It's funny how low yahoo is projecting them this week.

It might be too late for some to coordinate it now but I like the idea of pairing KC with TEN.

Week 10 (KC's Bye): TEN hosts JAC.

And while KC has WAS-OAK-IND weeks 14-16, TEN plays JAC again week 16.

If TEN is rostered now, you still might be able to nab them as their upcoming schedule is KC-SEA-SF-BYE.

I love the Chiefs' D and I'm optimistic about this pairing...

Not that I would mind having them, but I think there's reasons to be skeptical here.

They've played Blaine Gabbert and Michael Vick on the road.

Gabbert's the worst QB in the NFL on possibly the worst team in league history. Vick's always been a good guy to pick on for DST, but this Eagles team against this Chiefs team was a dream match-up.

They got the Giants, who are apparently aren't much better than the Jags.

In a fairly neutral match-up, the got Romo at home and didn't do a ton for fantasy purposes.

They, of course, have also generated 3 TDs so far, which is hardly predictable.

They have also recovered 7 fumbles to their opponents' 1.

The next few weeks they get more great match-ups, but they'll also finish the final 4 games of the regular season with a bye, 2 rounds of Manning, and a rejuvenated Rivers. Unless it's very deep rosters, I wouldn't carry 2 def's through that stretch.

Sometimes, fantasy defenses just have "that year" where everything bounces their way, and KC may very well be having one of those seasons, but I also wouldn't be surprised if they came back to earth in a big way.

weebs said:
How bad are they going to beat up on the Titans without locker? It's funny how low yahoo is projecting them this week.
agreed...i don't get the low projections...they have absolutely shredded nfl offenses all year so far and I see no reason why tennessee will be different with fitzpatrick at the qb position. With Locker at qb they weren't turning the ball over much...that will likely change with fitzy in there. I can see a pick 6 (or 2).

weebs said:
agreed...i don't get the low projections...they have absolutely shredded nfl offenses all year so far and I see no reason why tennessee will be different with fitzpatrick at the qb position. With Locker at qb they weren't turning the ball over much...that will likely change with fitzy in there. I can see a pick 6 (or 2).
Shredding offenses is one thing, but it doesn't have to involve scoring a TD in 75% of games and recovering nearly every fumble that hits the carpet.

weebs said:
Shredding offenses is one thing, but it doesn't have to involve scoring a TD in 75% of games and recovering nearly every fumble that hits the carpet.
They have tons of talent on their defense, plus the offense that kc plays is perfect for their defense. They rarely turn the ball over and play the field position game. I don't see how their level of play on defense is not sustainable.

It might be too late for some to coordinate it now but I like the idea of pairing KC with TEN.

Week 10 (KC's Bye): TEN hosts JAC.

And while KC has WAS-OAK-IND weeks 14-16, TEN plays JAC again week 16.

If TEN is rostered now, you still might be able to nab them as their upcoming schedule is KC-SEA-SF-BYE.

I love the Chiefs' D and I'm optimistic about this pairing...
I like the suggestion, but I wish that Tennessee was playing a team softer than Indy during the key weeks 11 and 13 that the Chiefs are playing Denver. This pairing would have been perfect otherwise. I'm not so sure Indy will surrender many points to Tenn.

weebs said:
The Titans also have a very tough, underrated D. They could beat up on Alex Smith just as easily.

I've been a Manning fan for a long long time. He's as good as there ever has been as long as he has a clean pocket to throw from, but if he doesn't, it can get downright ugly. I've seen it way too many times before. No QB like's pressure, but if Manning has people in his face, it really disrupts his timing and that what his game is all about...precision and timing. The Denver OL has more than a few question marks right now and they haven't seen anything like KC's pass rush. They are not only going to be coming off the edges, but Poe has been getting a very good push up the middle. I don't think he's going to see a clean pocket against KC. I'll be starting them.

They were never on waivers in my 2 leagues. However, its cause I drafted them. I always draft them and get laughed at. Finally, guess who is laughing now. It was worth the wait.

Users who are viewing this thread