What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Trent Richardson owners, what have you been offered for him so far? (1 Viewer)

I feel like I'm devils advocate here---but why the big assumption that the move to Indy is going to somehow make a rather disappointing RB1 turn into the second coming of Adrian Peterson in the fantasy world? Even when he was the main guy in Cleveland--his output was rather disappointing. Now he's on a team where he has a legit capable backup rb behing him in Bradshaw, a qb that is more likely to be featured than he is, and wr's that need the ball to be successful Don't get me wrong--- I think he'll end up being a top 12-15 fantasy running back--but thats what I thought he would be even in Cleveland. Also--doesn't the fact that Cleveland was able to part ways with him soo easily raise any concerns? If this guy really is a franchise running back---why not keep him and draft a qb with their first or second round pick anyways. Most of the experts are saying that even a guy like Manziel won't probably go in the 1st round--so I just find it a little interesting that they gave up on him soo easily. I do understand that he is young and maybe that gives him nice solid upside value in dynasty leagues---but let's assume this year only (use a redraft league perspective). Based solely on the rest of this fantasy year---what are your thoughts about his value/production?
i agree and i'm trying to get maximum value before this weekend before people start figuring out this trade is not suddenly going to transform him into a world-beater.
That's not going to be proven or disproven no matter what happens this weekend.
Right you are. In redraft terms I tend to think this is bad news for Richardson. Short week against 49'ers this week and Seattle in 2 weeks makes it for tough sledding. Than despite being removed for a lot of third downs and only playing about 65% of the offensive snaps the first two weeks in Cleveland he still got 11 targets. That seems highly unsustainable as I'd anticipate Bradshaw being more or less of a lock as the third down back for the short term and likely all season as his health permits. As the season progresses and Trent becomes more comfortable he'll likely benefit from better supporting cast and likely easier schedule and of course and at that point he might surpass his Cleveland situation.

The part of this trade that I think is the boon to Trent is his dynasty value past this year.

Standard PPR League, 2RB, 2WR, 1RB/WR

My current team as follows:

• QB - Brees
  • QB - Palmer
  • WR - Bowe
  • WR - Hopkins
  • WR - Jeffrey
  • WR - Michael Floyd
  • WR - Randle
  • RB - CJ2K
  • RB - Forte
  • RB - TRich
  • RB - DRich
  • RB - Pierce
  • TE - Witten
  • PK - Bailey
  • DEF - HOU
I was just offered Dez Bryant for TRich and am considering it. I have little faith in Bowe at this point (more like little faith in Alex Smith). Thoughts?-Ken
I'm trying to trade for Trent but this is a no brainer for you with that team.

a rather disappointing RB1 turn into the second coming of Adrian Peterson in the fantasy world? Even when he was the main guy in Cleveland--his output was rather disappointing.
With broke ribs and knee surgery he was PPR RB8 last year. Obviously he's off to a slow start this year but you are talking a two game sample size.
yes--he was only the 8th best rb being the face of franchise last year--he was the only guy there. Now this year--when he actually had some qb play in weeden, and a weapon in Jordan Cameron---he's not even on pace for that. Now he's going on a team where andrew luck will clearly be the featured player, and has not only 1--but two capable backup rbs behind him--- it just seems to me that I don't see why it's safe to assume that is production somehow has far more upside now than it did before. Before this trade-- he was considered very disappointing this year---now after the trade-- it seems as though the fantasy world seems to think of him as some insanely valuable asset. Don't get me wrong---I don't dislike t-rich--- I just find it curious that the fantasy world has done complete u-turn on this guy.
He's plenty good enough that he's going to be productive if he gets enough touches. The Colts' OC has literally promised to give him "all the touches he can handle," on a top tier offense.

If this were promised for Maurice Clarett, I'd be willing to give up a lot for him.

If my league traded I would tell you, but I am sad to say my league mates rather start IR players then make trades.

Tons of people had him as the #1 overall dynasty player before this trade went down. I can only imagine what those people might pay for him now. He's definitely in a much better offense now, but he's probably running behind a worse offensive line (and he looks like a guy that needs a seam as opposed to being able to create chunks of yardage on his own), Bradshaw appears to be a threat on 3rd down, and Luck will account for quite a few TDs in deep with both his legs and his arm. Obviously Richardson's production will improve over what he did the first two weeks in Cleveland, but I don't see this as a slam dunk setup for top 5 RB production. Richardson will be a supporting player in the Andrew Luck show, as opposed to being options 1, 2, and 3 everywhere on the field like he was in Cleveland last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tons of people had him as the #1 overall dynasty player before this trade went down. I can only imagine what those people might pay for him now. He's definitely in a much better offense now, but he's probably running behind a worse offensive line (and he looks like a guy that needs a seam as opposed to being able to create chunks of yardage on his own), Bradshaw appears to be a threat on 3rd down, and Luck will account for quite a few TDs in deep with both his legs and his arm. Obviously Richardson's production will improve over what he did the first two weeks in Cleveland, but I don't see this as a slam dunk setup for top 5 RB production. Richardson will be a supporting player in the Andrew Luck show, as opposed to being options 1, 2, and 3 everywhere on the field like he was in Cleveland last year.
This would make more sense if he was actually utilized as "options 1, 2 and 3" in Cleveland.

Tons of people had him as the #1 overall dynasty player before this trade went down. I can only imagine what those people might pay for him now. He's definitely in a much better offense now, but he's probably running behind a worse offensive line (and he looks like a guy that needs a seam as opposed to being able to

create chunks of yardage on his own), Bradshaw appears to be a threat on 3rd down, and Luck will account for quite a few TDs in deep with both his legs and his arm. Obviously Richardson's production will improve over what he did the first two weeks in Cleveland, but I don't see this as a slam dunk setup for top 5 RB production. Richardson will be a supporting player in the Andrew Luck show, as opposed to being options 1, 2, and 3 everywhere on the field like he was in Cleveland last year.
This would make more sense if he was actually utilized as "options 1, 2 and 3" in Cleveland.
He got a ton of work last year. As much percentage wise as any RB in the league outside of Peterson I'd imagine (not looking up a bunch of stats on my phone). I'm pretty sure that he was featured in the redzone more than any other RB in the NFL if you look at the percentage of TDs Browns as a whole / Richardson in the 15 games he played. You can cry "ribs" and "crappy team" as far as excuses for his weak NFL production in Cleveland and maintain at least a shred of credibility -- if you're going to say that he was held back by not being used enough, you're moving into the realm of pure comedy.

Tons of people had him as the #1 overall dynasty player before this trade went down. I can only imagine what those people might pay for him now. He's definitely in a much better offense now, but he's probably running behind a worse offensive line (and he looks like a guy that needs a seam as opposed to being able to

create chunks of yardage on his own), Bradshaw appears to be a threat on 3rd down, and Luck will account for quite a few TDs in deep with both his legs and his arm. Obviously Richardson's production will improve over what he did the first two weeks in Cleveland, but I don't see this as a slam dunk setup for top 5 RB production. Richardson will be a supporting player in the Andrew Luck show, as opposed to being options 1, 2, and 3 everywhere on the field like he was in Cleveland last year.
He got a ton of work last year. As much percentage wise as any RB in the league outside of Peterson I'd imagine (not looking up a bunch of stats on my phone). I'm pretty sure that he was featured in the redzone more than any other RB in the NFL if you look at the percentage of TDs Browns as a whole / Richardson in the 15 games he played. You can cry "ribs" and "crappy team" as far as excuses for his weak NFL production in Cleveland and maintain at least a shred of credibility -- if you're going to say that he was held back by not being used enough, you're moving into the realm of pure comedy.
The quantity of work he was given as a rookie made up for his injuries and situation, in terms of PPR production, sure. A huge workload saved him in that regard.

I'm talking about this season, though. He was playing maybe less than half of 3rd down snaps, barely played in the 4th quarter, and generally just wasn't getting the workload he needed to produce in such a poor situation.

That's one reason to think that being in Indy is a positive change, even taking into account the poor OL. THIS regime used a 1st to get him there, and he'll get his touches once he's acclimated.

He will thrive without the stacked boxes. He should also score more TDs and catch a lot of passes.

They didn't trade for him to not use him. He will be a big scorer there if he stays healthy.

Got this offer today in a dynasty.

Give: RB Trent Richardson, WR Marlon Brown, 2014 1st (currently the 1.01)

Get: RB Montee Ball, RB Johnathan Franklin, WR Antonio Brown, WR Michael Floyd

Needless to say, I didn't have to think long about this one. Probably the worst offer I've gotten all season. By a wide margin.
That's annoying
No kidding. Take TRich out of the deal and I would still want the TRich side.

This would make more sense if he was actuallyutilized as "options 1, 2 and 3" in Cleveland.
Percentages don't really mean a thing, just the overall workload.

Richardson was the 5th most targeted back in 2012. He got the 10th most rushing attempts inside both the 5 and 10 yard line. End result: he was PPR RB8. That's very commiserate with his workload and when you are the 8th RB in PPR leagues you don't need anyone making any excuses for injuries or anything else. He did just fine even if you discount all of that. Nothing exceptional, but right in line with his touches and again that's ignoring his injuries and bad cast and just putting it at face value.

This year he's got exactly one carry inside the 5 yard line and another one inside the 10. He's tied at 14th in total rushing attempts. His 11 targets in the passing game ties him at RB11 with 3 other backs. That's not some kind of incredible loan you make it out to sound like.

This year, sure, he wasn't featured as much. Probably because the new coaches came in and said "wait a sec, this cat just isn't that good." Time to face the facts guys -- a young Adrian Peterson level talent isn't getting traded for a mid / late 1st. Great FF back? Maybe, we'll find out this year. Elite NFL back? Hell to the no.

Was offered D. Martin and David Wilson for Trent....

Im trying to get Lynch and McCoy for Trent. (Were all from Cleveland, so everyone is SUPER high on TR) Especially now hes on a great team, and will actually have holes to run through.

This year, sure, he wasn't featured as much. Probably because the new coaches came in and said "wait a sec, this cat just isn't that good." Time to face the facts guys -- a young Adrian Peterson level talent isn't getting traded for a mid / late 1st. Great FF back? Maybe, we'll find out this year. Elite NFL back? Hell to the no.
Par for the course from you. You have been singing the T-Rich hate for months.

A first round pick is a lot to give up for a RB. I can't think of a single veteran RB off the top of my head who fetched a first round pick in a trade in recent years. Teams rarely trade for a back, and when they do they usually don't give up very much. Lynch was traded for a 4th after his first few years in the league. Thomas Jones was traded to the Bucs for a former 3rd round WR named Marquise Walker. Ahman Green was traded to Green Bay for a bag of potato chips. Only the price paid for Clinton Portis rivals the price paid for Trent Richardson, and that was almost 10 years ago. If Trent's career turns out like Clinton's, I'm sure the Colts and his FF owners will be pleased.

A late first rounder represents a big commitment to a RB. Deuce McAllister, Shaun Alexander, Steven Jackson, Chris Johnson, Larry Johnson, and Doug Martin were late first round picks. Players like Ray Rice, LeSean McCoy, Maurice Drew, and Jamaal Charles were had for far less as rookies. All of those guys are or were elite NFL backs. The idea that a first round pick is somehow a "cheap" price for a RB has no basis in reality. It is an extremely high price to pay for RB, regardless of whether you're talking about a rookie or a veteran.

RB is an extremely devalued position in the NFL. You can spend a 3rd-4th round pick on someone and get 4.0 YPC, so it makes sense to prioritize other positions in the draft and trades. Just look at Adrian Peterson. One of the best runners in recent history. How much has Minnesota won because of him? Nada. A great RB is a luxury and not a requirement for NFL success. Even the best RB can't carry a team to the Super Bowl. That's the context of this trade. I think Richardson is a great back, but I also think the trade makes a little bit of sense from Cleveland's standpoint. Rule #1 in the NFL is get a quarterback. If this trade helps them move up to get Bridgewater or Manziel and that guy becomes a star, it will have been worth it. A star QB is worth exponentially more to a franchise than a star RB.

None of this means that Richardson can't be a smash hit for Indy. I think he's a better version of Ray Rice. With a capable QB to alleviate pressure and a competent front office, health is the only thing that will prevent him from a string of top 5-10 FF seasons.

Does Luck check down to his RB's very often?
Luck is like Manning. He doesn't lock in on one guy. He will throw to whoever is open.

I would expect Trent to get a nice amount of passes thrown his way. He is quite good in space and there will be more opportunities there on this team.

Im trying to get Lynch and McCoy for Trent. (Were all from Cleveland, so everyone is SUPER high on TR) Especially now hes on a great team, and will actually have holes to run through.
So, you want two better fantasy RBs for one worse fantasy RB? Good luck with that.

One of the worse fantasy RB??? You obviously haven't seen much of Trent... Dude is super explosive... cant wait to see him get into open space in Indy.
He will actually have holes to run through. The browns OL and QB absolutely SUCKS.

no need to relax... once he proves you wrong, youll take that soap out of your mouth... and a lot of other peoples' too.

Dudes going to be great... definitely on their levels... don't believe me just watch.

I feel like I'm devils advocate here---but why the big assumption that the move to Indy is going to somehow make a rather disappointing RB1 turn into the second coming of Adrian Peterson in the fantasy world? Even when he was the main guy in Cleveland--his output was rather disappointing. Now he's on a team where he has a legit capable backup rb behing him in Bradshaw, a qb that is more likely to be featured than he is, and wr's that need the ball to be successful Don't get me wrong--- I think he'll end up being a top 12-15 fantasy running back--but thats what I thought he would be even in Cleveland. Also--doesn't the fact that Cleveland was able to part ways with him soo easily raise any concerns? If this guy really is a franchise running back---why not keep him and draft a qb with their first or second round pick anyways. Most of the experts are saying that even a guy like Manziel won't probably go in the 1st round--so I just find it a little interesting that they gave up on him soo easily. I do understand that he is young and maybe that gives him nice solid upside value in dynasty leagues---but let's assume this year only (use a redraft league perspective). Based solely on the rest of this fantasy year---what are your thoughts about his value/production?
At this point it's all about whether you believe your eyes. With Trent's situation thus far, I incline to believe my eyes. He amazed me in college. Last year he came into basically the worst offense in the nfl, played hurt, yadda yadda. I think he saw 13 carries the first game and 16 the next. Basically I am more inclined to believe in his ability than his Nfl track record thus far. I think it's a decent question though. Definitely reeks of there being something more to this story.

Just accepted an offer of TRich for my Demaryius in a standard redraft.
Nice.... have fun watching Trent go Priest/LT/ADP on these cats
I'm working hard to get him but relax guy. He's not on those guys level. There would've been a glimpse of it by now.
His numbers, even the low YPC Trent bashers love to pull up was very very similar to LT's at this point in their careers and I'm talking rushing and receiving.

First of all it's been years, and second, it's not hate. I've been one of the only people pointing out that the fantasy community has hugely over-rated this guy from day one. I've never said Trent sucks. Not once. I've said he's not elite. Big difference there. I think he might be a good player, even if he hasn't shown it thus far.

What's truly amazing is how you move the goalposts around depending on the player in question. With Richardson, phantom injuries are a legitimate excuse for his performance. With McFadden, not so much. With Richardson, the horrid efficiency stats aren't a concern. With virtually anyone else (most notably Matt Forte), efficiency stats are the end all. You form an opinion on a player, then you'll literally argue that position in the face of any overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I'm just calling things the way I see them.

You should probably get some more excuses ready -- McGahee is about to come in and will probably average over 4 YPC for the Browns, while Trent continues to plod along at well under that mark despite being in a better situation.

I offered Demaryius Thomas and Demarco Murray for Richardson/1st (probably late) 1 and was rejected. Non-ppr.

He will thrive without the stacked boxes. He should also score more TDs and catch a lot of passes.

They didn't trade for him to not use him. He will be a big scorer there if he stays healthy.
This brings the lulz. The Browns have a better Oline then Indy. Everyone is hyping this deal wayyy too much. I'm laughing hard at how much people are willing to give up for him. When he's splitting carries and losing goal line looks to Bradshaw in November, who's looking like the smart one now?

I traded Trent and Antonio Brown for McCoy in my redraft and I couldn't be happier. I'd suggest moving him now while his value is at its highest before you get burned.

First of all it's been years, and second, it's not hate. I've been one of the only people pointing out that the fantasy community has hugely over-rated this guy from day one. I've never said Trent sucks. Not once. I've said he's not elite. Big difference there. I think he might be a good player, even if he hasn't shown it thus far.What's truly amazing is how you move the goalposts around depending on the player in question. With Richardson, phantom injuries are a legitimate excuse for his performance. With McFadden, not so much. With Richardson, the horrid efficiency stats aren't a concern. With virtually anyone else (most notably Matt Forte), efficiency stats are the end all. You form an opinion on a player, then you'll literally argue that position in the face of any overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I'm just calling things the way I see them.

You should probably get some more excuses ready -- McGahee is about to come in and will probably average over 4 YPC for the Browns, while Trent continues to plod along at well under that mark despite being in a better situation.
This guy speaks the truth.

Best I got was Alfred Morris and David Wilson for Trent Richardson and Christine Michael. I have never thought much of Wilson so it was an easy reject.

jah77 said:
I offered Demaryius Thomas and Demarco Murray for Richardson/1st (probably late) 1 and was rejected. Non-ppr.
If I was a Richardson owner I'd do that without hesitation.

Seems crazy to turn that down.
I disagree. I would not do that trade. Murray is to much of an injury scare for me, anf he really has not looked good to me this year.

First of all it's been years, and second, it's not hate. I've been one of the only people pointing out that the fantasy community has hugely over-rated this guy from day one. I've never said Trent sucks. Not once. I've said he's not elite. Big difference there. I think he might be a good player, even if he hasn't shown it thus far.
Your whole argument is based on the YPC from his rookie season playing with broken ribs on a dreadful team. If you really believe that 2012 was an accurate reflection of who Trent Richardson will be for the remainder of his career then you would have a point. I just don't happen to buy that argument for a minute. Not many rookies are asked to come in and shoulder the load for an awful team. That's a difficult task. When you throw in broken ribs, it's that much more difficult.

You brush off these things like they didn't have any impact on his performance and that's why I don't put any stock in your viewpoint on this player. Broken ribs are no joke. You would be in too much pain to type these vacuous posts if you had broken ribs, much less play running back in the NFL. But you want to believe that Trent is overrated because you have already made your mind up about that, so you read every data point in the most negative way possible.

Am I guilty of the opposite? Maybe so, but I believe there's at least some justification. Richardson was widely touted as one of the best running back prospects in the last several draft classes. Some people said he was the best PLAYER in the whole draft regardless of position. Almost every evaluator in the universe thought this guy was a premium RB talent. One mediocre injury-plagued season doesn't change that. If we're sitting here in 2016 and he still has a 3.X career YPC then your negativity will have been vindicated, but as of now it's very suspect.

What's truly amazing is how you move the goalposts around depending on the player in question. With Richardson, phantom injuries are a legitimate excuse for his performance. With McFadden, not so much. With Richardson, the horrid efficiency stats aren't a concern. With virtually anyone else (most notably Matt Forte), efficiency stats are the end all. You form an opinion on a player, then you'll literally argue that position in the face of any overwhelming evidence to the contrary. I'm just calling things the way I see them.
First off, I don't think I've taken a highly negative line on Forte in years. By and large, that's a dead file. I was wrong about him. Period. End of story.

I still rip on McFadden, but there's a huge difference in sample size. McFadden has been a disappointment for 4 out of 5 years. Richardson has been a disappointment for all of one season (and that's if you think that 3.6 YPC as a rookie with broken ribs on the Browns is some kind of massive letdown). One disappointing season can be written off due to variance and circumstance. When it's several bad seasons, it's a pattern. There's a pretty big difference there. If Trent is five years deep into his career and he only has one good season to show for it ala McFadden then you can bet that I won't be defending him so vigorously. As of now, there's no real parallel between the two.

There's really only one thing that worries me about Trent and that's durability. He has not been the healthiest RB over the last couple seasons. All RBs get hurt though and there's nothing in his history that really screams red flag, so I'm inclined to believe that he'll be pretty healthy for the next several years. If that's the case then pencil him in for a slew of top 10 RB seasons. The naysayers will probably look very foolish when the dust settles on this guy's career.

Trade just went down in my league:

Team A gets: Trent Richardson, Roddy White, Jay Cutler

Team B gets: Alfred Morris, James Jones, Reuben Randle

I don't get it, I guess Team B needed WR help.

BWill said:

Lol.

Richardson for Shady straight up is a massive ripoff. Throw in Lynch too? Quit playin.

How do you explain the fact that he sucked before he hurt his ribs last year? And he sucked through two games this year even though he's fully healthy? I'm gonna LMAO when McGahee is way more effective in the same situation.

BTW you can put away the scouting reports when we have 350+ NFL touches to go on over two seasons. Or just use your eyes -- running hard and slow in a straight line does not an elite RB make.

Users who are viewing this thread