What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (3 Viewers)

By the way, a very good friend of mine works at an executive level for the Saints.  He's not a message board insider, but he knows and hears things.  He has heard absolutely nothing internally about Brees having any interest in or intentions to retire after this year, win or lose. Whatever that's worth, it's worth.

You are confusing two different things.

It's true that QBs get benched all the time.

What does not happen all the time, and in fact has not happened in the modern history of the NFL, is for a team to name a rookie 1st-round-pick as its permanent starter, then start the rookie for several games, only to then abandon their philosophy and acquire a veteran QB and have that veteran start ahead of the healthy 1st-round-pick the following year.

You are describing a scenario that exists only in fantasy. No team would ever pull such an asinine move.

But feel free to prove me wrong. Name another time that it happened.
The fact it's never happened (I don't know that it has or hasn't), really doesn't do anything for me. QB is the most important position in the game (by far) & teams will throw a lot of assets at it to find a guy.

The Bills were a playoff team last year & if they had anything better than Allen, he'd be on the bench. Guaranteed. Allen isn't ready.

I don't get the argument you simply leave him in because he's already started. They can pull the plug anytime & no doubt will if Allen continues to struggle & they believe his development is being hindered.

Time will tell. If Allen starts playing better, he'll be safe. If not, he'll go back to the bench (sooner or later).

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, a very good friend of mine works at an executive level for the Saints.  He's not a message board insider, but he knows and hears things.  He has heard absolutely nothing internally about Brees having any interest in or intentions to retire after this year, win or lose. Whatever that's worth, it's worth.
I don't see any reason Brees would retire. He's playing at a top level and has had no injury concerns. Would be a major shock if he retired.

As I said, as a Saints fan I hope you are right.  But what exactly are you basing this opinion on?  Because it's a very big assumption.  My whole take is based off Saints insiders and message boards, so I feel it is  very legit.   Why would he want to go the Peyton route?  That makes zero sense to actually retire due to my neck barely hanging onto my body.
Because he is perhaps playing the best ball of his career and may be on the best team of his career. He may be a wonderful human being (maybe he's a huge ####$#$ with great PR sense) but he also has a massive ego. He's not going to leave any rings or records on the table if they are in reach.

I am happy to move away from absolute statements and fully acknowledge that I could be wrong. But I sincerely doubt it.

Any chance Bridgewater gets moved before the deadline? I feel like there are plenty of suitors out there and the Saints would probably be interested in recouping some draft picks. Although it is nice to have a competent backup for a team that should be in Super Bowl contention unless Taysom has shown some major growth. 

I just got a lowball offer for Teddy in a 12 team superflex dynasty league, but it made me wonder what his value is right now.

Assuming he's not interested in backing up Brees for another year or two, how many teams look likely to be looking for a new or better QB next year? Obvious answers to me are the Giants, Broncos, and Dolphins. I can see the Bucs not wanting to move forward with Jameis, and maybe the Jaguars are done with Bortles. Oakland may move on from Carr.

This is reportedly a really bad draft for QBs, so I've gotta consider it likely at this point that someone will choose to sign Bridgewater in free agency over drafting a project or trading for someone else's backup. He might be a nice guy to target at the deadline for 2019 if you're QB needy or you're in a start 2 QB league.

I just got a lowball offer for Teddy in a 12 team superflex dynasty league, but it made me wonder what his value is right now.

Assuming he's not interested in backing up Brees for another year or two, how many teams look likely to be looking for a new or better QB next year? Obvious answers to me are the Giants, Broncos, and Dolphins. I can see the Bucs not wanting to move forward with Jameis, and maybe the Jaguars are done with Bortles. Oakland may move on from Carr.

This is reportedly a really bad draft for QBs, so I've gotta consider it likely at this point that someone will choose to sign Bridgewater in free agency over drafting a project or trading for someone else's backup. He might be a nice guy to target at the deadline for 2019 if you're QB needy or you're in a start 2 QB league.

Finley, Lock, and Herbert are the 3 guys likely to be drafted as hopeful franchise QBs.  I can see 8 or more teams either looking for their starting QB or their heir apparent after 1-2 years.  

Finley, Lock, and Herbert are the 3 guys likely to be drafted as hopeful franchise QBs.  I can see 8 or more teams either looking for their starting QB or their heir apparent after 1-2 years.  
Everything I've seen has said Herbert is the only legit 1st round QB talent out there and he's not even certain to declare.  A couple others might be drafted there, but they're far from franchise QB types, more like guys who are solid QBs who'll be overdrafted based on need.

I have to think that at least one of the QB needy teams will think it's better to use the pick for a better talent and to sign Teddy in free agency as their QB of the present and future.  He'll be the premier free agent QB on the market I think.

Never been a huge fan even when healthy.  Probably a better real Qb than fantasy Qb.  The supply /demand dynamics seem to be working in his favor though.

He's starting Sunday but I don't know his contract status heading into this off-season.

The best I could find is this Tweet:

-----------------------------------------------------

Field Yates✔@FieldYates

Source: the Saints created $2.71M in 2018 cap space by converting just over $4M of QB Teddy Bridgewater's base salary into a signing bonus and adding two voidable years to his deal. Some needed breathing room.

9:02 AM - Sep 7, 2018

----------------------------------------------------

It is from September 7th of this year but I not sure how long he contract was and if he's in voidable years and if he can void those years of if the Saints hold that option.

It seems like he could turn into a hot commodity for many teams if he has a big game this weekend.

Bracie Smathers said:
He's starting Sunday but I don't know his contract status heading into this off-season.

The best I could find is this Tweet:

-----------------------------------------------------

Field Yates✔@FieldYates

Source: the Saints created $2.71M in 2018 cap space by converting just over $4M of QB Teddy Bridgewater's base salary into a signing bonus and adding two voidable years to his deal. Some needed breathing room.

9:02 AM - Sep 7, 2018

----------------------------------------------------

It is from September 7th of this year but I not sure how long he contract was and if he's in voidable years and if he can void those years of if the Saints hold that option.

It seems like he could turn into a hot commodity for many teams if he has a big game this weekend.
hes a FA after this year

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-orleans-saints/teddy-bridgewater-14441/

this explains the 2.71 mil

Has this been announced or reported somewhere? He is expected to see most of the playing time but I don’t think the starter has been established?
Just reading Fausts posts and I don't see anything set in stone from the coaches. Just speculation based on what Payton has done in prior seasons, where he did rest starters.

I would be excited to see Teddy play and how well he does. Maybe Brees still starts but sits after the first series or two?

That isn't clear to me yet.

I love watching him throw. He has a very quick release and the ball gets to the target quickly on short and intermediate routes. I am not convinced he can drive the ball deep down the field consistently but I still believe that he could be a nice upgrade at QB for quite a few teams. His thin frame will always cause concern especially with the horrific injury he already suffered. Looking forward to seeing what he can do in week 17.

He is an interesting player for sure.  There is a part of me that likes him and I can't say why.  Perhaps he's no better than a backup QB but I'm not so sure.  I really can't explain it better than that.
Fantasy players are all about stats, and rightfully so, but sometimes real-world value and stats don't align. I think that's the case with Bridgewater. Obviously his career was derailed and it's impossible to say what he would have done had he started these past few years, but I think his stats would have been improved once he was in a system suited for him.

The thing I remember best about that last year he started was his moxie and mental fortitude, despite less than ideal circumstances. Yes his stats sucked, but people who just looked at the logs and didn't watch the games don't realize he was pretty clutch when it mattered, in 2 minute drills and the 4th quarter. For a young QB it was pretty impressive.

He may never get his career back on track but I'm rooting for him.

I hope he's not remembered for his performance this year with backups at the WR position. He played with backups in the Jets' preseason and played Wk 17 with the Saints backups. I think he's a starter in this league. 

I hope he's not remembered for his performance this year with backups at the WR position. He played with backups in the Jets preseason and played Wk 17 with the Saints backups. I think he's a starter in this league. 
He also played with the backup OL in wk 17.  He was running for his life.

He is an interesting player for sure.  There is a part of me that likes him and I can't say why.  Perhaps he's no better than a backup QB but I'm not so sure.  I really can't explain it better than that.
Teddy has a lot of charisma. He has leadership. People want to play for him. He has good field vision and understanding of defenses. He has good accuracy and ball placement. He has good pocket awareness and used to have good mobility, I haven't seen enough of Teddy post injury to be sure if that is all back or not.

He doesn't have a very strong arm but I think he can make all the throws you need a QB to make including the deep out. Teddy throws with good anticipation to get the ball where it needs to be but he won't just power it down there like Cam Newton and others can.

I don't think any team will bring him in as a starter but could be brought in as someone who can compete in a situation where a team may have a questionable starter.

Or may decide he's better off staying in New Orleans for another year or two and maybe Brees retires in a couple years and he gets a shot then.

CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports free agent Teddy Bridgewater will likely re-sign with the Saints if he does not end up with the Jaguars or Dolphins.

Jacksonville and Miami are the only destinations which would offer Bridgewater a real shot at a starting job. The Jaguars are expected to sign Nick Foles, so it might be Dolphins or bust. Given the state of the quarterback market, signing a short deal to back up Drew Brees for another season might be the best option for Bridgewater.

SOURCE: Jason La Canfora on Twitter

Mar 11, 2019, 7:32 AM

As a dynasty owner in a few spots, I’d much prefer he resign in New Orleans and hope Brees retires after 2019 than he go to Miami.  I don’t see much fantasy upside in Miami, and there are 20+ other QBs that will put up numbers equal or better than Bridgewater in Miami.  But if he ends up taking over in New Orleans and Payton sticks around, there is upside there.  Low probability hit rate, but a hit in New Orleans could provide value.

Saints re-signed Teddy Bridgewater.

According to NFL Network's Jane Slater, Bridgewater had a bigger offer on the table from the Dolphins, who also could give him a chance to compete for a starting job, but he decided to stick around as Drew Brees' backup and potential successor. It is great news for the win-now Saints, who will retain one of the best backups in the league.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Jane Slater on Twitter

Mar 12, 2019, 7:45 AM

he must know something we don't....like Brees is gone after this year....cause if not, IMO, this doesn't make a ton of sense...and even if Brees does retire, who says they don't bring in somebody else or a rookie...I realize the team loves this guy, blah, blah, blah....but he is passing up a chance to start and if he plays well potentially position himself for a Foles like contract after one year...it's been since 2015 since he has played a meaningful snap....and now best case scenario it will be September of 2020 before he takes another one....let alone if Brees decides to play in 2020 or beyond....which wouldn't really surprise any of us.....of all the people, I thought Teddy would be the kind of guy that would bet on himself and want a chance to start again, even for what many will think will be a bad team.....but still....he could add to his resume by making the Dolphins somewhat decent....even if it meant holding off a young guy MIA takes in the draft this year.....there are only 32 of these jobs in the world.....Teddy had a chance to have one of them and prove to everybody that he could still play and get the job done.....after whats been going on with him.....he didn't seem to me to be in a situation where he can just pass up opportunities like this....

Organization and system matter.
They certainly do, but will the Saints still be the same organization post-Brees? Will

Payton even stay after Brees hangs up his cleats?

With Bridgewater’s history, it is very interesting that he passed up a potential starting opportunity, unless it was a back-up level offer.

Hard for me to imagine that any team was even throwing out $15 million/year for Bridgewater to come in as the undisputed starter. He's not that much of a sure thing.
I would agree...especially about being that much of a sure thing.....but if he takes a short term (let's say one year) deal of any sort at MIA....at least he has the opportunity to prove he is....and if he is...he can then go get a Foles or Keenum type contract....right now he has delayed that by at least a year, if not longer....and the QB class coming out next year is better than this year....

in this day of some guys "betting on themselves".....it kind of feels like Teddy is taking the easy road and settling for this to be his pathway.....guess I'd rather see a guy kind of controlling his own destiny....right now he is at the mercy of Drew Brees.....

he must know something we don't....like Brees is gone after this year....cause if not, IMO, this doesn't make a ton of sense...and even if Brees does retire, who says they don't bring in somebody else or a rookie...I realize the team loves this guy, blah, blah, blah....but he is passing up a chance to start and if he plays well potentially position himself for a Foles like contract after one year...it's been since 2015 since he has played a meaningful snap....and now best case scenario it will be September of 2020 before he takes another one....let alone if Brees decides to play in 2020 or beyond....which wouldn't really surprise any of us.....of all the people, I thought Teddy would be the kind of guy that would bet on himself and want a chance to start again, even for what many will think will be a bad team.....but still....he could add to his resume by making the Dolphins somewhat decent....even if it meant holding off a young guy MIA takes in the draft this year.....there are only 32 of these jobs in the world.....Teddy had a chance to have one of them and prove to everybody that he could still play and get the job done.....after whats been going on with him.....he didn't seem to me to be in a situation where he can just pass up opportunities like this....
Yeah, I have been a Bridgewater supporter for a long time. Going all the way back to the day he was drafted(way too low for no obvious reason). This move is perplexing to me as well and it actually makes me question his confidence since the injury. There are so many things that can change in the NFL every year I don't know how he can turn up his nose at a starting job either. He's hoping that Brees retires(whether he's been told Brees will retire or not). He's hoping that the front office and coach that brought him to NO remains next year. He's hoping that the play makers that could potentially make him successful will be in NO next season. Chances are they will, but OBJ and AB prove that things can change fast in less than a year. I would genuinely be surprised if Brees played beyond this season. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a big shakeup with this organization once Brees hangs it up. The next two NFL drafts are supposed to have better QB's than the QB's available in this draft.

People assume that it's a given the team with the 40yo QB is going deep into the playoffs, but when the end comes for HOF QB's it often isn't a pretty last season. Go back and watch Dan Marino and his last season. Even if Brees was playing badly, who is going to pull him from the starting lineup for anyone before week#13 or so even if they are out of the playoff race? People can write a narrative that NO will go deep into the playoffs in 2019, Brees retires, Teddy takes over as the starter in 2020 with everything else in place in the same system Brees has enjoyed and the franchise just keeps rolling along with all the other pieces in place. There are a lot of moving parts in the NFL and things never remain constant. If MIA offered Teddy an opening day job it could very easily be the last opportunity for Teddy to have an opening day job. I'm disappointed because I would have loved to see him back on the field. If he doesn't have the confidence to go into MIA and help rebuild that franchise..... does he have the confidence in himself to be a successful starting QB in the league again? Before this decision I worried about the leg and whether he was physically the same guy. The new confidence issue is a much more worrisome imo.

he must know something we don't.
I've been thinking about this, and the only thing that would make sense is if he thought going to Miami would be like Foles going to STL - a bad fit or bad system that would hurt him long term. Foles would've been a career backup due to that stint in STL if not for a perfect storm scenario.

It's a long shot guess as to what's going on here, but nothing else makes sense. 

I get that there's this football axiom that ANY QB should choose ANY potential starting job with ANY team or there's something wrong with him but isn't that more trite than wisdom? It's MIA so you can forgive people if they "take the under" on that being a good situation this year. It doesn't look like it was a "you're our new QB" type contract offer either. If I'm Bridgewater, I would rather risk the negative perception that I turned down a starting gig (which was more chance to compete) than the stink of a dismal season in MIA.

I've been thinking about this, and the only thing that would make sense is if he thought going to Miami would be like Foles going to STL - a bad fit or bad system that would hurt him long term. Foles would've been a career backup due to that stint in STL if not for a perfect storm scenario.

It's a long shot guess as to what's going on here, but nothing else makes sense. 
The Miami beat writer I follow on Twitter laughs at the national reporters tweeting about Miami’s level of interest in Bridgewater. He claims they want Tyrod Taylo (prior to him signing with SD) and are quite content to tank this season in order to add Tua or Herbert in the next draft.

i have read about them tanking in other places as well and with them doing nothing in free agency and cutting several veterans I have to believe it.

So on one level even if they were pursuing him you’re probably right that he realizes that it’s a terrible destination for him that could derail his career.

Free agent Teddy Bridgewater's Wednesday visit to the Dolphins resulted in no contract.

At least for now. The Saints remain players to sign Bridgewater, although he'd obviously have a much better chance to start in Miami. Ultimately, he may simply sign with whichever team offers him the most near-term money. No teams seem to be interested in committing to Bridgewater long term.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

Mar 13, 2019, 7:47 PM

Saints re-signed QB Teddy Bridgewater to a one-year, $7.25 million contract.

The deal is fully guaranteed. Bridgewater announced the news himself on Twitter. In spurning a likely opportunity to start in Miami, Bridgewater has opted for another year of holding Drew Brees' clipboard, with an eye toward succeeding him as starter. Bridgewater said as much himself. Although still more of a projection than anything else as a potential long-term starter, Bridgewater is unquestionably one of the league's top backups, if not the best. It's an excellent hold for the Super Bowl-or-bust Saints.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Mar 14, 2019, 4:19 PM

got to love the overall humbleness for Bridgewater. He knows his day is coming and he doesnt have an ego that forces him to walk into another situation like NYJ where hes out drafted and washed up in 2 years. He can sit and learn the offense and walks into an amazing situation. This is similar to the path Rodgers took, minus the knee falling apart and multiple teams... practically twins right?! but you get the main point I think...

That seems like a lot of money for a back-up, albeit possibly the heir apparent. Other back-ups getting north of $7M?

Users who are viewing this thread