What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (2 Viewers)

I actually disagree with this. He can go mistake free, if that means no turnovers, but that's not the key. He needs to get rid of the ball much more quickly, that's what it will take.
Bridgewater seems to make maybe his first two reads in the time it took for Brees to scan the entire field. And on top of that, Bridgewater doesn't seem comfortable throwing to covered guys who will (likely) have a step once the ball arrives. He can't count on receivers consistently having 5 yards of free space.

I don't know if all that are things endemic to Bridgewater's game, or if they're things that can/will improve with live reps.

I actually disagree with this. He can go mistake free, if that means no turnovers, but that's not the key. He needs to get rid of the ball much more quickly, that's what it will take.
I agree with your assessment, but if the article is only looking for NO to go 3-3 while Brees is out, that probably is doable. They will potentially lose to SEA, DAL, and at CHI but should win against TB, ARI,  and JAC. But if Teddy takes too long to make decisions than as you mentioned, suddenly those easier games may get a lot tougher.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10225/teddy-bridgewater

Coach Sean Payton refused to name Teddy Bridgewater as the Saints' Week 3 starter against the Seahawks.

When asked if he has to limit Taysom Hill's usage in other positions now that he's the No. 2 quarterback, Payton responded, "You're assuming he's the No. 2." Payton said he won't make an announcement to the media as to who will start in Seattle. The assumption has been Bridgewater will get the nod, but his leash likely isn't very long after his dreadful showing against the Rams in relief of Brees. Hill also outplayed Bridgewater in the preseason and is overall a far superior playmaker.

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Omar Ruiz on Twitter

Sep 18, 2019, 12:38 PM ET

As someone trying to trade him to the Brees owner in a Superflex, I am too!
I picked up Taysom Hill and had to cut a quality receiver, leaving me with only the requisite starters. I'm not exactly acquitting myself with calm roster moves here. But if Hill is their starter and looks like he did preseason, then it might be a good thing. I guess.

I picked up Taysom Hill and had to cut a quality receiver, leaving me with only the requisite starters. I'm not exactly acquitting myself with calm roster moves here. But if Hill is their starter and looks like he did preseason, then it might be a good thing. I guess.
Hill already owned in mine. We have only Mason Rudolph and Luke Falk on the WW as likely starters. 

The Darnold owner still has 2 QBs, but both have a week 6 bye. The Ben and Brees owners don't have a 2nd QB ATM, pending BB waivers tonight.  I think there's going to be a bidding war.

I’m a little surprised they’re not just going with Hill.

They know what Bridgewater is. They might as well trade for Eli Manning.

At least Hill has a spark of new school to him. I think he’s a baller. Up my prediction to 3-3 if Hill starts. Maybe 4-2.

in the least it’d make for a more compelling fan/TV experience.

I'm not giddy about Bridgewater's prospects but I'd be shocked if they start Hill. I haven't seen or heard anything to say he's a capable passer. Not to say he can't be but I assume they paid Bridgewater a bunch of money because they know Hill isn't a full-time caliber QB at this point. 

All I know is that I'd have very, very little hope for Thomas if Hill is behind center. I'd probably bench him next week. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m a little surprised they’re not just going with Hill.

They know what Bridgewater is. They might as well trade for Eli Manning.

At least Hill has a spark of new school to him. I think he’s a baller. Up my prediction to 3-3 if Hill starts. Maybe 4-2.

in the least it’d make for a more compelling fan/TV experience.
Eli has said he will not waive his no trade clause under any circumstances. So that ain’t happening. 

I still don’t see the Saints beating their three tough opponents without Brees (SEA, DAL, CHI).

I can't read the mind of Coach Payton, but I'm hoping he doesn't believe either one of those guys is Brees.  They're not.  They shouldn't be game-planning either one of these guys like they would Brees, as it wouldn't be fair to anyone involved.  Bridgewater needs to be Dilfer, and I think (I would hope) they're going to game plan him that way.  Pound the ball, keep your third downs short, and keep the ball long enough to let your defense rest.  Bridgewater is at his best when he's not asked to put the team on his shoulders.

In Bridgewater's favor this week is that he goes in knowing he's the guy.  He takes the first team reps, watches film with coaches with him as the starter in mind, and gets a game plan more suited to his talents.  There's also a LOT of offensive talent on the field to help him out.

I'm not giddy about Bridgewater's prospects but I'd be shocked if they start Hill. I haven't seen or heard anything to say he's a capable passer. Not to say he can't be but I assume they paid Bridgewater a bunch of money because they know Hill isn't a full-time caliber QB at this point. 

All I know is that I'd have very, very little hope for Thomas if Hill is behind center. I'd probably bench him next week. 
My assumption, especially after Payton’s comments, is that it might be a QBBC. 

Those little gimmicky plays they’d run once every couple of drives might be one in every 3-4 plays now. 

I wouldn’t be at all shocked to see Payton try that. Glorified wildcat with the benefit that Hill can pass better than Ronnie Brown. 

I think Payton is just playing games and lighting a fire under Teddy, but I had to add Hill once I'd invested that much FAAB in Teddy.

Eli has said he will not waive his no trade clause under any circumstances. So that ain’t happening. 

I still don’t see the Saints beating their three tough opponents without Brees (SEA, DAL, CHI).
It was just an example. Teddy ballgame is probably better at this stage of their careers. 

I'd be shocked if Hill took the lion's share of snaps this week.  He can throw deeper than either Brees or Bridgewater, and is the fastest guy on the field when he plays.  There's a lot of Mike Vick in him.

I'd be shocked if Hill took the lion's share of snaps this week.  He can throw deeper than either Brees or Bridgewater, and is the fastest guy on the field when he plays.  There's a lot of Mike Vick in him.
So did you mean to say "wouldn't be shocked?"

No, he does some things well and is great in spots.  But I don't think he's ready to be the man.  Guys like that tend to get exposed (and tend to get injured) with overuse.

I meant to say he's more Mike Vick than Steve Young
Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying.

While I like that he's starting out on the road, SEA is a tough place to play.  When they pump in that fake crowd noise, it's tough to hear yourself think.

I haven't seen or heard anything to say [Taysom Hill is] a capable passer.
This year in preseason, Hill passed well against 2s and 3s. Not like Brees, no, but like a QB that belonged in the NFL.

One caveat: in preseason, Payton only had Hill reading half of the field. So while he was successfully going through progressions and making reads, it wasn't the full set of them.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I meant to say he's more Mike Vick than Steve Young
Pretty sure the Saints would be downright giddy if he’s Michael Vick. 
While we're drawing comparisons ... I figure Taysom Hill's short-term upside is something of a combo of Kordell Stewart and Mark Brunell. What they lacked in passing efficiency, they made up in extending passing plays and in their own rushing attempts. Not to say either guy was useless in the pocket -- Brunell even led the NFL in passing yardage his second year in Jacksonville.

To be in the same breath as Steve Young, Hill would have to get to the point of completing 2/3 of his passes consistently. Don't think he's there yet.

ESPN's Dianna Russini reports Teddy Bridgewater will be the "featured" quarterback in the Saints' Week 3 game against the Seahawks.

Coach Sean Payton has been frustrating noncommittal on the Saints' plan at quarterback, though it seems logic has prevailed as the veteran Bridgewater will start and see most of New Orleans' QB reps with gadget player Taysom Hill "sprinkled in." Bridgewater is in a favorable spot against a sluggish Seahawks secondary, though he's mostly been a game manager since arriving on the scene in 2014. Hill's red-zone presence could also pose a threat to Bridgewater's fantasy output.

RELATED: 

Taysom Hill

SOURCE: Dianna Russini on Twitter

Sep 22, 2019, 8:20 AM ET

Think the Hill news early in the week was so Seattle would have to prepare for both guys. Looks like Teddy's going to get a shot, at least for this week.

Teddy Bridgewater completed 19-of-27 passes for 177 yards with two touchdowns while adding another 12 yards on three carries Sunday in New Orleans’ Week 3 victory over the Seahawks.

The Saints kept a clean pocket for Teddy, who escaped without being sacked. New Orleans simplified the offense for Bridgewater, who spent much of the day either handing off to Alvin Kamara or dumping off on short screens and check-downs, often with Kamara on the receiving end. Bridgewater's first touchdown came on a well-blocked screen to Kamara, who tiptoed down the sideline for a breathtaking 29-yard score. He added to his haul in the third quarter, connecting with Michael Thomas on a goal-line touchdown to put New Orleans ahead 27-7. Bridgewater doesn't have a rocket arm but he's a competent game manager and more mobile than Drew Brees. There was some discussion of Taysom Hill seeing an increased role in Brees' absence, but that didn't materialize as he was afforded just four snaps. We'll see how Bridgewater handles the bright lights next week when the Saints host the undefeated Cowboys on Sunday Night Football.

Sep 22, 2019, 7:52 PM ET

Teddy Bridgewater completed 23-of-30 passes for 190 yards with an interception in the Saints' Week 4 win over the Cowboys.

Bridgewater managed the game for the second straight week in place of Drew Brees. He was accurate — Bridgewater completed 77 percent of his passes — but the Saints didn’t have any big plays downfield. Bridgewater was 0-for-2 on passes deeper than 20 yards. Bridgewater’s interception wasn’t on him, it came off a Ted Ginn drop. He’s done enough to keep the Saints winning without Brees, but all of the skill players have taken a hit with him in the lineup. Bridgewater will be QB2 for a Week 5 matchup with the Bucs.

Sep 29, 2019, 11:30 PM ET

I'm considering starting Teddy BridgeOverTroubledWater this week if Josh Allen can't go.  Tampa Bay has given up the 3rd most points to opposing quarterbacks but the least points to opposing running backs.  It's a classic example of starting an inferior talent because of an ideal matchup.

I'm staring him but have my alternatives are so bad not even really making a choice. Seems like he should be able to throw 1 TD and 200+ yards. Anything more than that will be gravy.

I'm staring him but have my alternatives are so bad not even really making a choice. Seems like he should be able to throw 1 TD and 200+ yards. Anything more than that will be gravy.
Whoever starts at quarterback for the Jets could be a nice start, too.  The secondary of the Eagles is decimated.  They are missing 5 out of their top 6 cornerbacks.  They've given up the second most points to opposing quarterbacks.

Whoever starts at quarterback for the Jets could be a nice start, too.  The secondary of the Eagles is decimated.  They are missing 5 out of their top 6 cornerbacks.  They've given up the second most points to opposing quarterbacks.
Luke Falk is not a nice start. It's a disaster.

I'm considering starting Teddy BridgeOverTroubledWater this week if Josh Allen can't go.  Tampa Bay has given up the 3rd most points to opposing quarterbacks but the least points to opposing running backs.  It's a classic example of starting an inferior talent because of an ideal matchup.
The Saints are not going to change their gameplan, no matter who they play. It's dink-and-dunk-and-pray until Brees comes back.

Teddy Bridgewater completed 26-of-34 passes for 314 yards, four touchdowns and an interception in the Saints' 31-24, Week 5 win over the Bucs.

Bridgewater's pick came before any of his scores. He targeted Alvin Kamara against too tight of coverage and the ball was batted up into the air for the takeaway. He then proceeded to rip what had been a quietly good pass defense for the best start of his career. The yards were a new personal best while the touchdowns matched his high-water mark. The ejection of Bucs CB Carlton Davis helped, but Bridgewater was doing an excellent Drew Brees impression, relentlessly targeting Michael Thomas while finding the cushions between defenders. The quality of Bridgewater's Week 6 matchup will depend on whether Jalen Ramsey suits up for the Jaguars.

Last edited by a moderator:
he looked really good today. a lot more downfield throws instead of short dink-and-dunks. he looked comfortable in the offense, slinging it for the first time maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread