What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Teddy Bridgewater, DET (1 Viewer)

Teddy was banged up in this game, and could barely move in the 2nd half because of a stiff lower back. His top target, DeVante Parker, is coming back from a shoulder injury himself, and missed a couple of catches that he normally makes. Louisville's been making a concerted effort to run the ball more often the last couple of weeks, so it's not a huge surprise that his numbers are down lately.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teddy Bridgewater compared to Redskins QB Robert Griffin III

By Mike Huguenin

College Football 24/7 writer

Cincinnati must beat Louisville on Thursday night to keep its faint BCS hopes alive, and that means the Bearcats have to stymie Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater, generally seen as the most pro-ready quarterback in the nation.

Bearcats coach Tommy Tuberville went as far as to compare Bridgewater to a certain Washington Redskins quarterback.

"Their offense is led by a quarterback that has taken the nation by storm -- reminds me of RG3 back when I was (coach) at Texas Tech," Tuberville said during his weekly Tuesday news conference. " ... Teddy Bridgewater I can remember coming out of high school; nobody really projected him to be a passing or downfield quarterback, but, man, has he proven everybody wrong, as RG3 did."

Tuberville provided a mini-scouting report on Bridgewater that should sound familiar to those that have followed Louisville's quarterback.

"He's got a big-time strong arm that can throw out-routes, he's got a quick release and he's tall," Tuberville said. "He's a guy that really understands his offense, and that's what he gives a lot of people problems with. You can take some things away, but you can't take everything away.

"He's got good receivers; he's got a physical offensive line and a physical running back. They're the complete physical package in terms of what they want to do on offense."

To have any chance at a BCS bid, Cincinnati (9-2) must beat Louisville (10-1), then have AAC front-runner UCF (10-1) lose at SMU on Saturday. Tuberville and Cincinnati then need to be ahead of UCF in the final BCS standings on Sunday night to get the AAC's automatic BCS bid.

Rotoworld:

Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater completed 23 of 37 attempts for 255 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in Thursday's 31-24 overtime victory over Cincinnati.
Bridgewater's off-balance 22-yard touchdown strike to Damian Copeland with around eight minutes to go in the fourth quarter capped off a memorable drive in which Bridgewater converted an improbable fourth-and-12 on a scramble, giving the Cardinals a three-point lead. Between his bazooka arm and underrated scrambling ability, those plays personified why Bridgewater is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in May's draft.

Rotoworld:

Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater completed 23 of 37 attempts for 255 yards, three touchdowns and one interception in Thursday's 31-24 overtime victory over Cincinnati.
Bridgewater's off-balance 22-yard touchdown strike to Damian Copeland with around eight minutes to go in the fourth quarter capped off a memorable drive in which Bridgewater converted an improbable fourth-and-12 on a scramble, giving the Cardinals a three-point lead. Between his bazooka arm and underrated scrambling ability, those plays personified why Bridgewater is the favorite to be the No. 1 pick in May's draft.
Welcome to Houston Mr. Bridgewater.

I guess I missed the big comeback but for much of the game I saw I have to say I was wondering where is all this magic that seems to make him the consensus No. 1.

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Charles Davis isn't sure if Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater "is a top 10 guy."

Davis adds he likes Bridgewater a bunch and says he may get picked in the top 10. "I think sometimes we artificially boost these guys up because people are just terrified. What is the alternative?" Davis said during a Fox Sports podcast. The draft analyst did praise Bridgewater's physical and mental toughness.

Source: Fox Sports

Teddy Bridgewater is deserving of praise, but also overhyped

NFL media draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah says that if Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater decides to turn pro, he will be "elevated above his ability."

"He's not in the same class as some of the elite guys we've seen come out over the last few years," Jeremiah said this week on Fox Sports' Peter Schrager Podcast. "He's not Cam [Newton], he's not Andrew Luck. I liked 'RG3' [Robert Griffin III] better when he came out, as well. I do like him better than anyone we had in last year's draft class. If he does come out, I see him getting elevated above his ability."

Jeremiah said he thinks Bridgewater has "a feel for the game, a comfort level in the pocket, and you see him go through his progressions. He's accurate. I don't think he has a huge arm, but it's plenty good enough."

NFL Media draft analyst Charles Davis said on the same podcast that he likes Bridgewater "a bunch." But he also said, "I'm not sure he's a top-10 guy, but I think he may get picked in the top 10."

Davis said quarterbacks often get overrated because if an NFL team doesn't have a guy it can count on at the position, "You're in trouble. I think sometimes we artificially boost these guys up because people are just terrified. What's the alternative? What do we do? Where do we go?"

Davis said the thing he likes most about Bridgewater is "a mental and physical toughness ... that I don't see with a lot of other guys."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

Teddy Bridgewater said to be thinking about staying in school

By Mike Huguenin

While there are rumors that Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is thinking about staying in school for his senior season, NFL Media senior draft analyst Gil Brandt said he would be "shocked" if that were the case.

@Gil_Brandt Follow

Told same 2 days ago by someone I trust. Would be shocked MT @JohnMiddlekauff: Sources: Bridgewater has contemplated returning to school

Bridgewater (6 feet 3, 205 pounds) has been mentioned all season as a potential No. 1 overall pick, but he has not said definitively whether he is turning pro. There could be as many as five teams drafting in the top 10 that potentially could select a quarterback, and if Bridgewater remains in school, that would thin the ranks of available signal-callers.

This season, Bridgewater has thrown for 3,523 yards, 28 touchdowns and four interceptions, and completed 70.2 percent of his passes. His completion percentage is second nationally among quarterbacks who qualify.

Two other NFL Media draft analysts, Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah, think highly of Bridgewater but wonder if he will be drafted earlier than he should (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297173/article/teddy-bridgewater-is-deserving-of-praise-but-also-overhyped).

Bridgewater has led Louisville to an 11-1 record and a Russell Athletic Bowl appearance against Miami on Dec. 28. He is a Miami native who originally committed to UM before reneging and signing with Louisville. His Miami roots are an added storyline for the bowl game. Hurricanes senior quarterback Stephen Morris also is a Miami native.

"Teddy's a great quarterback," Morris told The Associated Press earlier this week. "It'd be a great challenge. ⦠A lot of people would focus on that, two quarterbacks from Miami going at it."

Mike Huguenin can be reached at mike.huguenin@nfl.com. You also can follow him on Twitter @MikeHuguenin.

This is the part of the offseason where if he comes put, the top QB prospect is nit-picked to death, whether he deserves it or not.

Then, if the top QB prospect is black, Nawrocki will be all racist, and then after his pro day everything will balance back out.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Mel Kiper ranks Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater No. 10 overall on his updated big board.

This keeps Bridgewater as the top quarterback on the board, but a drop from no. 7 to No. 10. "He drops a little on my board this week after more time to review, but he's still almost certain to go in the top-five range if he comes out," Kiper adds. There seems to be some indecision with Bridgewater declaring for May's draft, and he has another month to make that decision.

Source: ESPN

Rotoworld:

ESPN NFL Draft analyst Todd McShay said Thursday that he has higher grades on Teddy Bridgewater, Blake Bortles, Johnny Manziel and Derek Carr than he did on Geno Smith one year ago.
"It's kind of been an interesting ride with these quarterbacks," McShay said on a conference call. "I thought it was going to be a little bit stronger at the top. I thought Marcus Mariota was headed towards becoming an elite quarterback and thought he was going to wind up coming out." McShay is pleased Mariota decided to return to school and hopes Ohio State's Braxton Miller and UCLA's Brett Hundley will follow suit. Lastly, McShay tabbed Eastern Illinois' Jimmy Garoppolo the sleeper of the class. "I think he has a chance to, one day down the road, develop into a starter," McShay said.

Source: SB Nation

Teddy Bridgewater said to be thinking about staying in school

By Mike Huguenin

While there are rumors that Louisville quarterback Teddy Bridgewater is thinking about staying in school for his senior season, NFL Media senior draft analyst Gil Brandt said he would be "shocked" if that were the case.

@Gil_Brandt Follow

Told same 2 days ago by someone I trust. Would be shocked MT @JohnMiddlekauff: Sources: Bridgewater has contemplated returning to school

Bridgewater (6 feet 3, 205 pounds) has been mentioned all season as a potential No. 1 overall pick, but he has not said definitively whether he is turning pro. There could be as many as five teams drafting in the top 10 that potentially could select a quarterback, and if Bridgewater remains in school, that would thin the ranks of available signal-callers.

This season, Bridgewater has thrown for 3,523 yards, 28 touchdowns and four interceptions, and completed 70.2 percent of his passes. His completion percentage is second nationally among quarterbacks who qualify.

Two other NFL Media draft analysts, Charles Davis and Daniel Jeremiah, think highly of Bridgewater but wonder if he will be drafted earlier than he should (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000297173/article/teddy-bridgewater-is-deserving-of-praise-but-also-overhyped).

Bridgewater has led Louisville to an 11-1 record and a Russell Athletic Bowl appearance against Miami on Dec. 28. He is a Miami native who originally committed to UM before reneging and signing with Louisville. His Miami roots are an added storyline for the bowl game. Hurricanes senior quarterback Stephen Morris also is a Miami native.

"Teddy's a great quarterback," Morris told The Associated Press earlier this week. "It'd be a great challenge. ⦠A lot of people would focus on that, two quarterbacks from Miami going at it."

https://twitter.com/teddyb_h2o/status/414185556919083008 He is almost definitely going pro.

Teddy Bridgewater 'a second-rounder,' AFC scout saysBy Mike Huguenin

Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater plays what might be his final college game Saturday in the Russell Athletic Bowl against Miami, and you can bet NFL scouts will be watching.

Bridgewater is viewed by many as a potential No. 1 overall pick, but one AFC college director told NFL Media reporter Albert Breer that Bridgewater is "a second-rounder. Shorter and smallish in size, but he has solid arm strength, he's a good athlete, solid accuracy. Not dynamic or a special talent, but he has NFL starter-caliber skills, and he's a good kid with all the intangibles."

Another AFC scouting director said Bridgewater has a lot going for him: "He's accurate, poised, smart, productive."

But the scouting director also has issues with Bridgewater.

"The body type is the concern," he said. "You're going to have to see him at the combine. He looks small and skinny to me. But he gets rid of the ball so quick and makes such good decisions, maybe you can live with that."

Bridgewater is listed at 6-foot-3 and 196 pounds on Louisville's depth chart for the bowl game. He has not said yet whether he will enter the 2014 draft but said he will "evaluate everything" and make his decision after the bowl game.

did they just say this kid already has his college degree? in 5 semesters? 3 of which he was playing football? that's impressive.

Looks like a #1 overall to me. Poised, accurate, good decisions, decent arm and great touch. Has star written all over him.

Teddy Bridgewater lights up Miami in Russell Athletic Bowl

By Mike Huguenin

Louisville junior quarterback Teddy Bridgewater played what he called one of his best games in throwing for a career-high 447 yards and three touchdowns Saturday night, leading the Cardinals to a 36-9 rout of Miami in the Russell Athletic Bowl.

Whether his sterling performance came in his final college game is the question. In a postgame interview on the field, Bridgewater, who graduated earlier this month, told ESPN that he would meet with his coaches and his family before making a decision on whether to enter the draft. If he chooses to go pro, he will be a prime contender to be the No. 1 overall pick in the May draft.

"I have until Jan. 15," Bridgewater said, referring to the underclassmen draft-declaration deadline. "We want to celebrate tonight's victory, and each of us, whether it's seniors or underclassmen -- we all have decisions to make. But for tonight we wanted to focus on this game and get this game out of the way. Celebrate it and enjoy this moment."

Bridgewater finished the season with 31 touchdowns -- a school single-season record -- and just four interceptions. After completing 35 of his 45 pass attempts, he raised his completion percentage to 70.96, leaping past East Carolina's Shane Carden for No. 1 in the FBS. The completions total was one shy of tying a career high.

Bridgewater showed off his entire arsenal Saturday night, including his first rushing touchdown of the season. He rolled left, he rolled right, he stood comfortably in the pocket, he moved around in the pocket -- no matter what he did, he usually hit his target. He was 19 of 26 for 231 yards and two TDs in the first half and 16 of 19 for 216 yards and a touchdown in the second half. He also did a nice job spreading the ball around, completing passes to 10 receivers.

"I played against him in high school," Miami linebacker Denzel Perryman told reporters afterward. "He pretty much did the same thing, just a lot better."

As well as he played, Bridgewater probably should've completed at least three more passes -- he overthrew two open receivers and underthrew another. Bridgewater also took a sack for a safety early in the first quarter, giving Miami a short-lived 2-0 lead; he had time to get rid of the ball but looked as if he was trying to wait for an open receiver.

Bridgewater was the first quarterback to throw for 400 yards on the Hurricanes this season.

NFL Draft: Teddy Bridgewater shows No. 1 form in rout of Miami

By Rob Rang | The Sports Xchange/CBSSports.com

December 28, 2013 10:06 pm ET

If Saturday night's Citrus Bowl was Teddy Bridgewater's final game with the Louisville Cardinals, the junior certainly went out in style, dazzling the Miami Hurricanes and NFL scouts alike with his trademark precision passing and guiding his team to a resounding 36-9 victory.

Shrugging off a sack for a safety which abruptly ended Louisville's first series, Bridgewater completed 35 of 46 passes for 447 yards and three touchdowns without throwing an interception, exhibiting the talent that even his most vocal critics are going to have a hard time overlooking.

It wasn't just pressure from the Miami defense that Bridgewater was battling Saturday night. A native of Miami and a star prep quarterback who took over for Jacory Harris at powerhouse Northwestern High School, Bridgewater originally committed to the Hurricanes.

Rather than shirk from the pressure, however, Bridgewater shined. Cameras caught him smiling as he walked to the line of scrimmage early in the game. He was at his best at critical moments, completing 11 of 13 passing attempts on 3rd down, converting eight of them into first downs. It was a steady confidence that every NFL evaluator is hoping to see from a quarterback playing in arguably the biggest game of his life.

Bridgewater's success comes in a pro-style attack built on rhythm passes in the short to intermediate zones and occasional shots downfield.

It asks the quarterback to take snaps from under center most of the time, a stark contrast to the shotgun-heavy attacks preferred by most college teams.

This experience is a critical to 6-foot-3, 205-pound Bridgewater's NFL projection as he's learned to keep his eyes focused downfield with defenders closing in on him. Bridgewater's comfort in the pocket and use of his eyes to manipulate the defense was beautifully demonstrated with his 26-yard strike to DeVante Parker in the second quarter to give Louisville a commanding 16-2 lead.

Taking the snap from under center, Bridgewater dropped back quickly, looked to his deep left to get Miami's single-high safety drifting and then turned back to his right, sending the pass high and hard to give his 6-foot-2, 209-pound junior the opportunity to make the play.

While Bridgewater's first touchdown of the evening was impressive, the poise, vision and touch he demonstrated on Louisville's final drive before halftime could serve as a How-To video on effective quarterback play.

Facing a 3rd and 6 at the Louisville 44-yard line, Bridgewater took the snap out of the gun but still saw almost immediate pressure in his face. Spinning away to his left, Bridgewater bought time and room, then rolled back to his right, keeping his eyes downfield to wideout Damian Copeland breaking free on a late crossing route. Showing the accuracy on the move so critical to success in today's NFL, Bridgewater lofted a beautiful pass over Copeland's shoulder, leading his receiver away from the defense after performing a Johnny Manziel-like escape act.

A snap later, Bridgewater showed off his traditional quarterback talents, rifling a quick out to Copeland for a seven-yard gain. Two plays later, it was back to the changeup for Bridgewater as he lofted a deep flag route to Michaelee Harris for another score with just 30 seconds remaining in the half. The stat-book will only give Bridgewater credit for 12 yards on the pass but the ball was thrown from the 20 and safely led his wideout out of the end zone with plenty of room to get his feet down.

Bridgewater's third touchdown toss of the game came on a screen pass to running back Senorise Perry - one of a handful of traditional screens that he helped fool the Hurricanes with by allowing defenders to pursue him before calmly lofting a pass over the top.

Bridgewater isn't known as a great athlete but he showed off his maneuverability with a few read-option looks early against the Hurricanes and showed good speed in sprinting to the right pile-on for his fourth touchdown of the night on a bootleg in the fourth quarter.

Bridgewater's accuracy - whether flat-footed or on the move - is the simplest reason for his perch atop NFLDraftScout.com's quarterback rankings. He has a quick set-up and a very quick release. He does not possess the bulk scouts prefer at the position but this does not limit his arm strength, as the ball explodes out of his hand.

As impressive as Saturday night's performance against the Hurricanes was, scouts shouldn't be surprised as Bridgewater showed a similar blend of poise and precision a year ago in 33-23 Sugar Bowl win over the Florida Gators.

The Gators entered the game a significant favorite, featuring a defense that led the country in pass efficiency and boasted two 2013 first round picks in defensive tackle Sharrif Floyd and safety Matt Elam. Further, the Gators defense was coached by Dan Quinn, now the defensive coordinator for the Seattle Seahawks. Bridgewater was named MVP of that game, just as he was against the Hurricanes Saturday night.

Critics will continue to point out Bridgewater's flaws. He is not as big or strong as Andrew Luck nor as nimble as a healthy Robert Griffin III. Among the quarterbacks potentially available in the 2014 draft, he's the most polished and accurate -- precisely why he'll wind up being the first passer selected (and quite possibly first player selected) -- should he elect to leave early.

The only way the Texans don't draft teddy is if they want to go the veteran route and trade down.

I could see Manziel or Bortles or Bridgewater going to the Texans. One of these three will be and it probably comes down to personal choice between all three. I think each should thrive on the Texans. The question in my mind is how the others will do on Jax or Oak or Minny. I feel like wherever Bridgewater lands he will be okay. I see his floor as the lowest of the rookie QBs. He might have the lowest ceiling too though I could also see him being a top NFL and fantasy QB one day too.

I'm not sure why there is a debate. I'm nowhere near a professional scout and I don't get to interview him and see what his personal life is like but Bridgewater big time passes the eyeball test. He's a prototype in size, arm and accuracy. Whenever I watch him play he looks like a black Peyton Manning.

I'm not sure why there is a debate. I'm nowhere near a professional scout and I don't get to interview him and see what his personal life is like but Bridgewater big time passes the eyeball test. He's a prototype in size, arm and accuracy. Whenever I watch him play he looks like a black Peyton Manning.
I wouldn't go as far as calling him a black Peyton, but he seems like the head and shoulders best QB to me.

I wouldn't go as far as calling him a black Peyton, but he seems like the head and shoulders best QB to me.
Agree, that's taking it to far, but he appears by far to be the most pro ready QB in the draft. In a win now league, O'Brien only has so much time - Needs the guy who he can put in week 1 next year.

Film Room: Teddy Bridgewater primed to be next great NFL QB

By Bucky Brooks NFL.com

NFL Media analyst

The term "franchise quarterback" is loosely applied in the football world, but there are only a few signal callers that fit the criteria when scouts break down their games. These quarterback prospects are transcendent stars who exhibit the critical traits required to lead a franchise to the winner's circle -- arm talent, leadership skills, football IQ and clutch factor.

In the current media landscape, we tab any quarterback with a hint of potential as a franchise guy, but scouts hold quarterbacks to a higher standard, with an emphasis on performance in big games used as the predictor of performance at the next level. That's why scouts make it a point to watch quarterbacks perform in rivalry games, conference championships and bowl games to see how they play when the pressure and intensity mirrors an NFL game.

After watching Teddy Bridgewater -- who declared he intends to enter the 2014 NFL Draft on New Year's Day -- close out his career in superb fashion in the Russell Athletic Bowl, I'm not only convinced that he is a franchise player, but he is the crown jewel of the 2014 quarterback class. While I know that several anonymous scouts have reportedly voiced opinions counter to that assessment, I believe Bridgewater will be the next great quarterback to enter the NFL. Here's why:

AthleticismThe speed and explosiveness of defenders in the NFL make it imperative for a quarterback to display enough agility and elusiveness to escape pressure in the pocket. Although the elite quarterbacks aren't expected to be dynamic or explosive runners, the ability to extend plays with their feet or pick up first downs on timely scrambles gives the offense an added dimension.

Bridgewater is a classic pocket passer with underrated athleticism and movement skills. He capably flees the pocket when protection breaks it down and can improvise throws down field. Against Miami, Bridgewater exhibited outstanding athleticism in making plays outside of the pocket. He executed a few read-option and bootleg plays to pick up first downs with his legs. Additionally, he tormented the Hurricanes with a spectacular scramble toss to Damian Copeland that showcased his elusiveness and agility. From avoiding multiple defenders in the backfield by reversing field multiple times to tossing a superb touch pass over Copeland's shoulder, the Houdini-like exhibition confirmed Bridgewater's athleticism and movement skills. Most important, he showed the football world that he is far more dynamic than some suggest when discussing his game.

Arm talentFranchise quarterbacks are capable of making every throw in the book with zip and velocity. Although extraordinary arm strength isn't required, elite players at the position have the ability to throw a fastball through tight coverage. Additionally, they have a variety of pitches in their repertoire that allow them to throw with touch when required.

Looking at Bridgewater's performance against Miami, I saw a franchise quarterback capable of making every throw in the book. He repeatedly threw darts to Davante Parker on "Bang-8's" (skinny post), while also showing excellent touch on post-corners to Michaelee Harris. Additionally, he connected on a handful of throws on vertical routes that showcased his arm strength and range. While a few of his deep ball tosses were slightly underthrown, Bridgewater made enough accurate throws to dispel any concerns about his arm strength. If he tightens up his footwork and consistently incorporates his lower body into his throws, Bridgewater's arm strength can improve at the next level.

Pocket presenceThe greatness of a quarterback is revealed in his ability to thrive in a chaotic pocket. Franchise players exhibit quiet feet with pass rushers in close proximity to deliver accurate throws to receivers all over the field.

Watching Bridgewater play throughout his career and in the Russell Athletic Bowl, I've always been impressed with his poise and courage under duress. He will stand tall and deliver with a rusher in his face; he doesn't flinch after taking a big shot in the pocket. Against the Hurricanes, Bridgewater exploited their blitz tactics by consistently identifying and hitting the hot read in the route progression. This rendered the Hurricanes' aggressive pressure tactics useless and allowed the Cardinals to march up and down the field.

When Miami opted to play soft coverage (Cover 4) on the perimeter, Bridgewater picked apart the underneath areas to keep his offense in manageable situations. This "connect the dots" approach doesn't resonate with some fans, but NFL coaches covet quarterbacks with superb judgment and management skills. Bridgewater fits the bill with his patient attack; it shows in his efficiency and consistency guiding the Cardinals' offense.

Football intelligenceElite quarterbacks exhibit exceptional football intelligence and awareness. Astute signal callers capably orchestrate pre-snap shifts and motions, while also making checks and adjustments based on the defense's reaction. To handle these responsibilities, a quarterback must excel in the film room and take that information to the field.

Bridgewater has earned high marks for his preparation throughout his time at Louisville; it shows in the way he manages the game for the Cardinals at the line. Watching him direct Louisville's pro-style offense, I was impressed with his mastery of the team's intricate pre-snap movement game. He efficiently signaled to his designated movers when to shift, yet maintained his vision on the defense to spot a potential weakness in the coverage. This not only helped the Cardinals excel in the passing game, but it resulted in a few positive plays on the ground when executing a "check with me" scheme.

After the snap, Bridgewater showed tremendous awareness, anticipation and judgment manipulating coverage down field. He routinely moved defenders out of windows with his eyes to set up big plays on the backside. Looking at his 26-yard touchdown to Parker, Bridgewater identified and moved the free safety out of the middle of the field to hit the seam route in the end zone. The subtle head fake created space down the middle, leaving enough space for Bridgewater to fit in a dart against tight coverage.

With franchise quarterbacks at the NFL level consistently exhibiting those skills, Bridgewater is well ahead of the curve at this point.

Clutch factorIt's not always fair, but quarterbacks are judged by their ability to win big games. Bridgewater could leave Louisville with a 22-3 record over the past two seasons, showing remarkable poise and confidence under pressure. Skeptics will point to a soft schedule inflating those numbers, but standout performances against Florida (2013 Sugar Bowl) and Miami will squash some of the complaints about his ability to win against teams chock full of NFL-caliber talent.

In both of those games, Bridgewater was the best guy on the field, particularly against the Hurricanes. The 6-3, 205-pound quarterback was on his game from the start despite taking a safety that put the Cardinals in an early hole. He responded by torching the Hurricanes with a brilliant performance that showcased his potential as a playmaker in a pro-style offense. From his dart-like tosses to Parker on intermediate routes to his rainbow throws to Copeland and Harris, Bridgewater looked like the quintessential playmaker NFL coaches covet at the position.

With a career resume that features a several spectacular performances in this vein, I believe Bridgewater is primed and ready to excel at the next level.

ConclusionI've been a Bridgewater fan since watching him tear up the Florida Gators in the 2013 Sugar Bowl. I thought he exhibited franchise quarterback traits in that performance; he has continued to build upon those characteristics throughout his junior campaign. Although there are concerns about his slender build, I watched Aaron Rodgers overcome the same issues coming out of Cal (Rodgers measured 6-2, 205 during his final season with the Bears) to become one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. With Bridgewater displaying similar traits as a playmaker and leader, I believe he should be the crown jewel of the 2014 quarterback class -- and Johnny Manziel is the only other quarterback capable of challenging his spot at the top.

Follow Bucky Brooks on Twitter @BuckyBrooks.

ESPN has him at 6"3" and 196 lbs so this is probably the max for both figures. He looks thin but I'm not concerned. In fact, I think a good argument can be made that his arm strength will increase when he adds weight. Kinda like Tom Brady.

So assuming the Texans draft him, where do you see Bridgewater shaking out in QB dynasty league rankings next season? I think Houston would be a great spot for him. They have a lot of weapons.

Those that are concerned say he has a thin frame. That would concern me more if he was a wild runner taking shots all the time. If he is as cerebral about the game as some say I think he can minimize taking killer shots to some degree. A guy like Peyton makes his OL better just by his command of the game. While I dont expect him to be Peyton I think his "student of the game" approach can help Bridgewater alleviate concerns about his frame.

The Skinny On Teddy

Rotoworld take on the article linked above:

The MMQB's Greg A. Bedard believes no draft-eligible QB is more ready "to be a face-of-the-franchise" passer than Louisville junior Teddy Bridgewater.

"Wait until [teams] talk to him and get him up on the blackboard," said an NFL personnel executive who has known Bridgewater since ninth grade. "He lives and breathes football. Always has. Teams are going to fall in love with him." Bedard, who covered the Patriots for years, believes there are similarities between Bridgewater and Tom Brady off the field, which could certainly appeal new Texans coach Bill O'Brien. Our own Josh Norris considers Bridgewater on a different level compared to the other declared quarterbacks.

Source: The MMQB

Rotoworld:

NFL.com's Bucky Brooks compared Louisville junior QB Teddy Bridgewater to Packers' star Aaron Rodgers.
"Teddy Bridgewater is like Aaron Rodgers to me," Brooks said. "Aaron Rodgers entered the league at 6-2, 202 pounds. He was a guy that I graded as a bottom-of-the-first-round player. It took him a couple years in the league before he found his niche, then he (went on) to be an NFL MVP. ... I think Teddy Bridgewater's a fascinating player, he's just not in that Andrew Luck category." Scouts Inc.'s recently ranked Bridgewater as the No. 9 overall player in the class, and ESPN's Todd McShay lists him No. 12.

Source: NFL.com

Rotoworld:

"Several" NFL teams do not have a first-round grade on Louisville QB Teddy Birdgewater, according to NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah.

"I have Bridgewater as a top 10 talent in this draft but I know several teams that don't view him as a 1st round player," Jeremiah tweeted. We aren't exactly sure what several means, but the fact that multiple teams do not consider Bridgewater a top talent is noteworthy. Many teams won't spend as much time evaluating the position if they have a quality starter in place, however, take the reports of Blake Bortles or Johnny Manziel as the top passer seriously. Our own Josh Norris will continue to rank Teddy at the top.

Source: Daniel Jeremiah on Twitter

I think the issue some have with RG3 is that he runs a lot, Bridgewater is more of a pocket passer. His build has been criticized, and he will have to withstand punishment in the pocket, but it probably won't be as bad as what RG3 has dealt with, due to their stylistic differences. Than again, RG3 is bigger at a listed 6'2" 218 lbs.

Aaron Rodgers was similar size to Bridgewater when he came out (I don't recall if that contributed to his dropping in the draft?), but sat for several years and added about 20 lbs. One question is, does he have the kind of frame to put on 10-20 lbs?

This guy is now my #4 QB but it will take about 4-5 years to see that. There are 2 QBs that won't start right off the bat because NFL coaches are afraid to take the chance on the better small school prospects. If either Mathews or Wenning get picked by the Broncos, they will be a star. Once they sit behind Manning and learn for 2 years, they will get the start with far more valuable knowledge than the others. Not sold on Oswilder.

Mathews

Wenning

Bortles

Bridgewater

Garrapolo

Manziel

Fales

That's my ranking order but it will take time to shake out.

Rotoworld:

ESPN's Adam Caplan writes that "size is going to be a factor for some teams" with Louisville QB Teddy Bridgewater.
"Some people think he'll measure closer to 6-foot-1," Caplan tweeted. The vultures (not Caplan) are beginning to descend around Bridgewater. The consensus No. 1 pick during the regular season appears to have been supplanted by Johnny Manziel by some national analysts. Your friendly draft correspondents at Rotoworld refuse to get pulled under by the riptide: Bridgewater remains our No. 1 quarterback.

Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

Users who are viewing this thread