What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Vance McDonald (1 Viewer)

Casting Couch said:
Does this mean that George Kittle is the heir apparent ?
Yup. Glad I finally have a reason to pick up Kittle in dynasty. He is supposed to have been looking fantastic. I know rookie TEs never do much, but will be nice for him to at least provide some bye week and injury give he is starting. 

I don't see the 49ers making this move if they didn't see enough from Kittle to be comfortable about making the change.

I don't know much about Grimble but I noticed him making some nice blocks in most recent Steelers game.

You would think that the Steelers wouldn't make this trade if they didn't think McDonald would make their team. Not sure where he fits in with Grimble and James. Guessing they thought McDonald would be better than whoever their 3rd TE was before the move.

I thought it was funny that you think adding Vance would create a monster year for Ben. Obviously I'm not in the "pick him up asap" camp.
I think he was saying adding Vance would be just on more reason Ben could have a monster year. Adding Bryant, and JuJu, and the possibility of Bell for 16 games are larger factors.

The TE spot was the most glaring weakness on their offense, and Vance by himself may not be a difference maker.... but Vance running around the field as the #5 option in the best situation he's ever sniffed could have to the potential to be exciting. This isn't just a slightly better situation for Vance it's an order of magnitude difference. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he suddenly looked much better than when he was masquerading as a #2 receiver. As an Ted Ginn owner will tell you, it's not the drops that count it's what you do with the catches. James is fine but Vance could be exciting in limited opportunities.

I think he was saying adding Vance would be just on more reason Ben could have a monster year. Adding Bryant, and JuJu, and the possibility of Bell for 16 games are larger factors.

The TE spot was the most glaring weakness on their offense, and Vance by himself may not be a difference maker.... but Vance running around the field as the #5 option in the best situation he's ever sniffed could have to the potential to be exciting. This isn't just a slightly better situation for Vance it's an order of magnitude difference. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he suddenly looked much better than when he was masquerading as a #2 receiver. As an Ted Ginn owner will tell you, it's not the drops that count it's what you do with the catches. James is fine but Vance could be exciting in limited opportunities.
Essentially what you are describing supports the adage that "the whole is greater than the sum of its parts."  

I don't see the 49ers making this move if they didn't see enough from Kittle to be comfortable about making the change.

I don't know much about Grimble but I noticed him making some nice blocks in most recent Steelers game.

You would think that the Steelers wouldn't make this trade if they didn't think McDonald would make their team. Not sure where he fits in with Grimble and James. Guessing they thought McDonald would be better than whoever their 3rd TE was before the move.
David Johnson is their "blocking" TE/FB. Not much of a threat offensively.

David Johnson is their "blocking" TE/FB. Not much of a threat offensively.
Depending on how good they are there is usually a spot for a blocking TE on most teams. Really not sure how good Johnson is as a blocker. Could Grimble to his job as well?

A lot of teams will keep 4 TE anyways with one of them being a guy who can block unless they are also keeping a FB. 

Depending on how good they are there is usually a spot for a blocking TE on most teams. Really not sure how good Johnson is as a blocker. Could Grimble to his job as well?

A lot of teams will keep 4 TE anyways with one of them being a guy who can block unless they are also keeping a FB. 
I think Johnson is out.   Grimble's going to make the team but the addition of McDonald is going to cut into his and Jesse James' targets.

I thought it was funny that you think adding Vance would create a monster year for Ben. Obviously I'm not in the "pick him up asap" camp.
lol, it's not just Vance obviously. The Steelers have clearly wanted a big athletic TE to roam the middle. Green didn't really workout last year but now they are going to try it with Vance. Brown, Bell, Bryant and then a guy as athletic as Vance over the middle. Every piece is in place for the Steelers to have the best offense in the NFL. 

lol, it's not just Vance obviously. The Steelers have clearly wanted a big athletic TE to roam the middle. Green didn't really workout last year but now they are going to try it with Vance. Brown, Bell, Bryant and then a guy as athletic as Vance over the middle. Every piece is in place for the Steelers to have the best offense in the NFL. 
While James isn't going to light it up, he seemed to catch a fair amount of 3rd-6 type balls last year and get a 1st. Hopefully Vance doesn't stall drives with drops there- or I guess they can always stick James in if he is. To take on that contract I would imagine Vance is out there starting. I've never really been all that impressed, maybe I'll have to go back and look at his draft profile and find some recent highlights. 

While James isn't going to light it up, he seemed to catch a fair amount of 3rd-6 type balls last year and get a 1st. Hopefully Vance doesn't stall drives with drops there- or I guess they can always stick James in if he is. To take on that contract I would imagine Vance is out there starting. I've never really been all that impressed, maybe I'll have to go back and look at his draft profile and find some recent highlights. 
It gives them 2 different TEs. Jesse James will have a role too I am sure. He just doesn't have the speed or agility Vance has. Vance can make big plays. 

The Steelers definitely have the pieces in place for that to be true.  If Ben stays healthy, this O is going to rack up yards and points every game. 

I added him late in one rookie draft and on waivers in another based on your comments in the rookie TE thread (that was geared towards redraft). Good call on him! 
George Kittle is a very intriguing dynasty TE.  Kittle is one of the premiere blocking TEs in this class, and although his receiving numbers at Iowa are nothing to get excited about, he is extremely athletic.  David Njoku is considered freakishly athletic, but it may surprise some to learn that Kittle's workout numbers compare favorably to Njoku's.  Kittle wowed scouts with a 4.52 second 40 at the NFL Combine.  Dynasty owners shouldn't be sleeping on Kittle.  With the trade of McDonald, the path has been cleared for Kittle to have an early role.

I've always loved Vance and now he's coupled with a super underrated elite QB....he's not a great blocker but he's a freight train with the ball in his hands.....just destroys people trying to tackle him......
Spot on, when he does catch the ball, he's an excellent runner.  Problem is, as other 49er fans have alluded to here, he drops way too many easy underneath balls, especially crossing routes. 

I hope he flourishes in PIT, the situation could not be better.

Apparently Jesse James looked awful in preseason and the coaches basically said he was JV. 
Awful might be a bit strong but "not very good" is accurate.   On the other hand the first two preseason games he had Joshua Dobbs at QB.  Dobbs truly was awful.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler believes TE Vance McDonald "will be a big part of the Steelers offense."

Since Jaylen Samuels was announced as a running back, the Steelers did nothing to address their tight end position in the draft, suggesting they are comfortable with McDonald in a starting role. Fowler reports that is the case, writing the organization and Ben Roethlisberger "like his potential with a full year in the system." McDonald struggled to stay healthy last year, but he produced when on the field including 10 catches for 112 yards in the Divisional Round. He has some sleeper appeal.

Source: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Apr 30 - 9:40 AM

Steelers are the only team not to address any needs apparently.  No ILBs, no OLB, no CB, a project at OL, no real RB or TE.

Its amazing if they can field a team in 3 years.

V McDonald will be a nice part of the offense, if he can stay healthy.  60 catches if he plays 16 games, a few long plays, couple TDs.  And those numbers go up a bit since I believe the steelers D will get smoked a lot, making the O need to score more.

Last edited by a moderator:
This guy has always been a terrific athlete, great breakaway speed, it would be great if he gets a regular role. For some reason he is never given a real primary place in any offense he has been in.

This guy has always been a terrific athlete, great breakaway speed, it would be great if he gets a regular role. For some reason he is never given a real primary place in any offense he has been in.
Because he always gets nicked up......he's done this before. 

:lmao:

One of the all-time great get-off-me plays you'll ever see. Can't believe Conte didn't retire at halftime.
close enough: 

Chris Conte's rough night got worse less than 24 hours later.  The Buccaneers safety (knee) has been placed on injured reserve, the team announced Monday. Conte started all three games for Tampa Bay, recording 14 tackles and one lowlight in which he ended up on the wrong end of a stiff arm.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000966636/article/injuries-buccaneers-place-chris-conte-knee-on-ir

Bringing this up. 

With Ben out is is possible Vance gets a bump. Him and Mason work a lot together during practice with routes and such. 

Bringing this up. 

With Ben out is is possible Vance gets a bump. Him and Mason work a lot together during practice with routes and such. 
Certainly gonna hold on to him now after his two TDs yesterday. Still not much competition for targets outside of JuJu.

Bringing this up. 

Ben for some reason couldn’t find McDonald. I think this only helps McDonalds outlook for the rest of the season. Young QBs tend to lock on to TEs as well.

You have to be blind to not see Mason lock in on him when he entered into the football game and especially down the stretch trying to win the football game he was targeted a lot. 

-The RedZone looks and TDs are immediate returns, Mason will try and look to him when they get in range, that's a good thing. 

-The Steelers are likely to have a lot of pass patterns in the LOS to 10-15 yds down the field now with an inexperienced QB. Look how the Steelers played when Big Ben was a rookie and 2nd year player, no way is Mason going to be chucking it down the field all the time but he will have to throw the ball more than the Steelers would like. 

Not sure you can sell high as owners won't believe in the QB who don't already own him but it's possible you might find someone who doesn't realize what they have on their roster, you might be able to leverage. On the other hand I might want to hold on to him and see another game or two...TEs hard to come by with any consistency. 

NFL Media's Ian Rapoport reports Vance McDonald has a shoulder sprain and "won’t have an extended absence."

McDonald is currently in a sling and the Steelers just traded for a tight end in Nick Vannett, so the Steelers' actions contradict Rapoport's report. The Steelers haven't announced a timetable for McDonald's return, but we'd bet on McDonald missing games. More details should emerge within the week. When fully healthy, McDonald is on the TE1/2 borderline.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 24, 2019, 9:10 PM ET

Hey Joe, I wondered about the 1 catch for 10 yds. When did he exit the game? I'm curious if it was the 1stQ/half or more like 3rd/2nd half. 

I was excited to see him and the rookie work together. I assume the sling and trade are not good signs. The TE they traded for was from Seattle yes/no? 

Thanks for the update. 

This guy is talented but he just can't stay healthy. The acquisition of Vannett suggests he will be out for a while.

This guy is talented but he just can't stay healthy. The acquisition of Vannett suggests he will be out for a while.
Or maybe Vannett being brought in to shore up what has been below avg OL play. Not sure if JC got worse at RB or if the holes are just not there but Steelers fans can clear that up. 

Maybe McDonald will be asked to simply run routes going forward but that isn't the Steelers style from my observations. I don't think the TE acquisition was to help with the vertical passing game, just my opinion. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread